Tuesday, March 8, 2011

KU basketball’s Tyrel Reed still hampered by left foot injury

Kansas head coach Bill Self discussed junior Marcus Morris winning Big 12 Player of the Year honors and the team's mindset heading into the conference tournament at his weekly press conference Monday, March 7, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self weekly press conference, March. 7, 2011

Quiet, unassuming Tyrel Reed screamed and appeared to yell something in the direction of Missouri’s student cheering section, The Antlers, after hitting a late three-pointer in Saturday’s 70-66 victory at Mizzou Arena.

What did Kansas University’s senior guard say to the fans?

“Just screaming,” Reed said. “I’m not smart enough to think on the fly like that. I’m just happy I made the shot,” he added of one that stretched a four-point KU lead to seven with 1:05 left.

“It’s just Missouri fans. They are going to be on you and try to get under your skin, have all the funny signs and say funny things, but it’s just fun playing over there. I appreciate the atmosphere,” Reed added.

He insists he was screaming in joy, not pain.

Coach Bill Self revealed Monday that Reed only practices the day before games because of his lingering left foot injury that will require surgery after the season.

“He may shoot two days before a game. He’s not going to be allowed to do too much more than that,” Self said.

“He has basically a bad heel where there’s a piece of bone in there giving him some problems. It’s no big deal, but it’s enough to bug you, the equivalent to having an ankle sprain or something like that.”

Self said Reed has played with the injury in several quick-turnaround Saturday-Monday games, so he doubts Reed's minutes will be cut at this week’s Big 12 tournament.

“We’ll play it by ear (if KU advances past Thursday’s opener against either Nebraska or Oklahoma State, 11:30 a.m., Sprint Center),” Self said. “I am not going to do anything this weekend that would jeopardize his health the following week.”

Reed said the injury “is painful, but obviously, I can play on it. I’ll be fine.”

Like Self, he didn’t delve into too many of the specifics.

“I’ve just got a messed up foot, pretty much,” Reed said. “I’ve dealt with pain before. I’m willing to do it again. I don’t think it affects the way I play. I get my adrenaline flowing, and I’m OK. I never was the quickest guy. I’ve just got to be smarter out there and find ways to be effective.”

Reed wishes he could practice every day.

“I want to be out there with the guys, but I understand that if I practice a whole lot, I’m not going to be able to play in the games,” he said.

Self said freshman guard Josh Selby, who has a stress reaction in his right foot, wears a brace on the foot that wraps all the way around and totally immobilizes the foot.

“He can’t cut, move like he wants to move,” Self said. “It’s one of those things you’ve got to adjust and play with it, but he’s not moving 100 percent by any stretch. I do think his health has messed with him. He’s gone through a period of time that his body couldn’t react to what his brain told him to do. That would be frustrating for anybody.

“Josh is playing through it, too. Nobody can fault Josh’s toughness. The kid is out there fighting.”

Self believes Selby, who does practice every day, can contribute big-time the rest of this season.

“He has to see the ball go in the basket. He has to go make some plays,” Self said. “It’s a hard time of the year to let guys play through mistakes, though. Your whole teams works their butt off to get in this position, and now one possession or two possessions are the difference in winning and losing, so there’s not time to play through mistakes.

“He has practiced well. He can still be a guy for us this year that is the Sasha Kaun of the Elite Eight (vs. Davidson), the Cole Aldrich of a Final Four game (vs. North Carolina), a guy that comes out and gets 15 or 18 when we are struggling.”

Manning services

Funeral services for former Kansas University assistant coach Ed Manning, the father of Jayhawk assistant coach Danny Manning, will be at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Lucas Funeral Home, 137 East Hill, Keller, Texas, 76028.

In lieu of flowers, the family would like to request that donations be made in his name to the LMH Endowment Association, Cardiac Services, 325 Maine Street, Lawrence, 66044.

Danny Manning will attend the funeral and be back in time for Thursday’s Big 12 tournament game against either Oklahoma State or Nebraska (11:30 a.m., Sprint Center, Kansas City). KU’s players and coaches will not be able to attend the funeral.

Player of Year

Marcus Morris, who was named player of the year in the Big 12 by the league coaches Sunday, could be accorded the same honor by the AP today.

“I’m happy for him. I’m proud of him. I never make a big deal out of individual awards. We will make a big deal out of it today (at practice),” Self said.

Good defense

Self said guard Elijah Johnson has come so far in the last month, he “has become our best on-the-ball defender. His positioning is best, stance is the best. He’s getting confidence as he plays on.”

Knight out

Self said on his Hawk Talk radio show he spoke with Texas Tech coach Pat Knight on Monday afternoon. Knight was told he was out as Red Raider coach following the Big 12 tournament.

“I like Pat a lot and his staff a lot,” Self said. “They are good people, They try real hard. I feel badly for Pat and his staff. I hope they go play really hard (at Big 12s).”

This week

Competitive Marcus Morris would like KU to get a chance to avenge its two losses in the upcoming Big 12 tourney.

“If we win the first game and K-State wins (over Colorado or Iowa State), we’d get that rematch (in semis),” Morris said. “If we win that game, I’m hoping Texas wins so we get that rematch. I think it’d be one of the best games we play all year because we’d be so ready to play after what happened the first game (losing in Lawrence). K-State the same way. I felt we overlooked those guys, and they are getting better. Those would be two quality wins we need going into the (NCAA) Tournament. I think we need those games.”

Comments

Cmill1221 8 years, 5 months ago

I think this may explain a little bit why self was so critical of Selby and his foot "injury".

REHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I wish Coach had addressed the Releford injury. Here's hoping that Travis is bouncing back well enough to give the team some quality minutes if Reed and Selby cannot function smoothly for a possible 3 days of consecutive games. The hardiness of the twins and Brady has been quite amazing, to date, considering the minutes they have played. Gotta hope that Thomas' knee holds up well to 3 days of steady pounding if we advance thru this tournament. Thursday is a time when Withey or Woolridge might supply 5-8 minutes of relief for battered regulars. I have envisioned Jeff going on a shotblocking spree sometime late in the season. That freshman appearance of Aldrich against North Carolina in '08 still shines as one of the defining performances of the championship season. All our bench players must be ready to produce if their number is called. For this 2010-11 season, now is crunch time to survive for the tomorrows. I think this squad understands the urgency of responding to that pressure.

SaulGood 8 years, 5 months ago

Agreed on Releford - he's the guy I pay the closest attention to in any game. He's a potential game-changer with some serious skills. He's been tentative the last few trips but I think this will fade. He's a good secondary passer in our halfcourt offense and takes very good (not perfect) care of the ball, plays decent defense, and can score it from beyond the arc or drive in for a 15-footer. I think this is the key for our tournament - work Travis in the guard rotation and watch our opposing guard rotation die of exhaustion.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm a big fan of Releford but at this point I don't see him getting much PT. Next year he will be a major contributor. He was injured at the worst time possible this year..just when he was becoming part of the rotation.

jayhawkansas 8 years, 5 months ago

cmon marcus, focus on taking care of neb/ok st. first...

Woody Cragg 8 years, 5 months ago

Texa$$ got waaaaay too much credit for breaking the streak, (69 so fine!), when our entire coaching staff & team were completely spent from the night before. IMO the revenge factor will be enormous should they meet again & redemption could be fulfilling, but is possible they may peak too early as well. Almost wish they don't play Texa$$ because of that. Glad they no longer play the final game on selection Sunday but HCBS still needs to hold some minutes down for Reed & TRob if he can. These guys can take the NC if they hold up in a couple of butt-ugly games in the process. Remember Davidson? There's alot bigger fish to fry than farmer Barnes can serve up.

Karen Holmes 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm down in Austin. I sent the following email to the Longhorn ESPN local host last week after they lost to the kittycats and b/4 they played Baylor:

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Karen wrote:

Sean,

Would you reconsider the win by UT over Kansas due to the tragedy that Kansas faced and the death of the mother of Thomas Robinson? The way Kansas played the second half of that game was due to the emotional strain felt by the entire team and having been up all night. Now you are saying UT was “spent” and “had no legs” as to why they lost to KState. Wouldn’t that have been the same thing that happened to Kansas in the second half and that UT didn’t really win it but Kansas lost it, given the way UT has played the last 3 of 4 games? Thank you.

To which I got this response:

From: Sean Adams [mailto:sean@espnaustin.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:43 PM To: Karen Subject: Re: Question

I get your point. Good e-mail. Thanks for e-mailing the show.

SA

Steve Kubler 8 years, 5 months ago

Not positive but screaming a wordless comment out to the fans was probably the smartest comment Tyrel could make. Anything to elegant and you run the risk of getting T'd up.

I was grinning ear to ear watching his expression and body language. It was definitely an "Up Your's" statement to tigerland to go with the dagger 3.

If the so called sunspots made you miss it better hunt up a replay. It will be well worth the time, I am looking for a picture of the moment anyone have a link?

Kurt Eskilson 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, truehawk. In the final shot of the clip, you get a great face-on view of Tyrel's shout. Competitiveness with Class!

Tim Orel 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks. I still haven't been able to find a clip of the last 1:16 of the game so I could see the end. I'm still believing conspiracies from MU grads are the reason why the country didn't see the tiggers losing on national TV again - I'm not buying the sunspots lie when some places were still able to get the feed.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawkansas----I don't think there will be any problem focusing on Nebraska or Oklahoma State. When Marcus was talking about K-State and Texas though, I couldn't help but to rub my hands together and lick my lips. Oh, the possibilities!

Robert Brock 8 years, 5 months ago

That Self took this bunch to a 29-2 regular-season record is nothing short of amazing - especially when you consider the off-court issues, injuries, and heartbreaking family deaths. My hat is off to the Jayhawks for sheer perserverance.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 5 months ago

The above quote is really a shock, considering where he was defensively. Hard work pays off. Amazingly, zero turnovers at the point in a 24 turnover game vs. Mizzou, And he can get hot from three range.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

"Some Ways You Know Rick Barnes Is Fearing Playing KU in the B12 Tourney:"

~Keeps waking up screaming, "Marcus is too good! Marcus is too good!"

~Considering TTech job.

~Keeps stuffing his man bra with cherry tomatoes in hopes of looking cut instead of saggy.

~Taking testosterone injections to try to man-up to Bill Self.

~Walks around Austin shaking his head and muttering, "Our win was a fluke, our win was a fluke."

~Shrugs hopelessly when told that KU students have installed a mounting harness on the Longhorn mascot for the big Jayhawk to have its way.

~Finds himself becoming aroused when watching game tapes of Self coaching.

~Keeps fantasizing about getting beat in the first round and liking it.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

lionhawkward 8 years, 5 months ago

OOOWEE! Get us some wildcat !!! And grab us some longhorn for the Robinsons !!!!! Like coach said however, the pokies and huskers want some fried hawk !! Lets get past KC and go on a SIX game run baby !! Rockin the Chalk in KC