Monday, March 7, 2011

Bill Self gives updates on guards’ injuries heading into Big 12 tournament

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed (14) chases down a loose ball with teammate Josh Selby and Oklahoma State guard Roger Franklin (32) during the first half on Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas coach Bill Self revealed Monday that guard Tyrel Reed only practices the day before games because of his lingering left foot injury.

"He needs surgery after the season is over on his foot," Self said. "He practices the day before games. He may shoot two days before a game. He's not going to be allowed to do too much more than that."

Asked about the specific surgery, Self said, "I'm not a doctor. He has basically a bad heel where there's a piece of bone in there giving him some problems. They may have to go repair it. It's no big deal, but it's enough to bug you, the equivalent to having an ankle sprain or something like that."

Self said Reed has played with the injury in several Saturday-Monday games, so he doubts Reed's minutes will be cut at this week's Big 12 tournament.

"We'll play it by ear (if KU advances)," Self said. "I am not going to do anything this weekend that would jeopardize his health the following week."

Self said Josh Selby, who has a stress reaction in his right foot, wears a brace on the foot that wraps all the way around and totally immobilizes the foot.

"He can't cut, move like he wants to move," Self said. "With that being said, other people have played with one. It's one of those things you've got to adjust and play with it, but he's not moving 100 percent by any stretch. I do think his health has messed with him. He knows through a period of time that his body couldn't react to what his brain told him to do. That would be frustrating for anybody.

"Josh is playing through it, too. Nobody can fault Josh's toughness. The kid is out there fighting. He just hasn't had much success since he got hurt."

Self said Selby practices every day and believes he can make a major impact in the Big 12 and NCAA Tournaments.

Comments

actorman 3 years, 8 months ago

It's always good for us to be reminded that we rarely know the full story when it comes to injuries. Fans are so quick to judge players (in all sports) based on how they're playing without having any idea of what they're going through.

Knowing what Tyrel has to deal with, it makes it all the more remarkable how well he's playing.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

And Josh as well. Obviously, Josh isn't playing nearly as well as TR, but then they have completely different injuries at completely times in their careers.

AirCapJay 3 years, 8 months ago

You bet. I think Josh will have a break-out game soon and return to the way he played his first game against USC.

HalsteadHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I say rest them both for the entire B12 tourney, it really just a revenue generator for the league, no need to risk their health. I'd rather have them both as healthy as possible for the real tournament. And extra playing time for Travis, Mario, EJ, TT, etc, will be helpful as well.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

Judging by minutes, he's pretty much already resting Selby.

Steve Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

agreed.............if we were to win the big dance by chance who would care if we rested all the starters for the sprint round up.

kufan80 3 years, 8 months ago

Your logic is good, but try telling senior Tyrel Reed he should rest for his last Big 12 tournament

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 8 months ago

Agreed. Like I said on the Cliff's Notes article, the only way Self gets Tyrel to sit a game is by handcuffing him to the bench.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 8 months ago

Okay. So Reed's been playing on an injured foot for how many weeks now?

And he hasn't missed a game? And he's playing almost 30 minutes in those games? And he's leading the team in steals? And he's leading the guards in points per game? And he's leading the guards in rebounds per game? And he just nailed a game-changing three against Mizzou?

On a foot that needs SURGERY?

...

Reed is a beast.

'Nuff said.

Christopher Johnson 3 years, 8 months ago

If there were a "like" button, I'd like this. Twice.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Nice summary .. the guy plays with guts everytime he's on the court.

dek9219 3 years, 8 months ago

Let's give them all the same injury!!!

d_prowess 3 years, 8 months ago

I think there is a big difference though between playing two games with a day off in between and playing 3 games over three days.

Steve Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

maybe we put a thumbtack in TTaylor's sneaker.

jessejayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

or mayve a sharp stick up his.......nevermind.

Rock_Chalk_25 3 years, 8 months ago

Coach Self is a genius with the way he addresses each player in a different way when speaking to the media. He really grills some players publicly but chooses to back off others, yet he has never been accused of favoritism. He knows Tyrel is a warrior so I love it when he says things like, "I'm not a doctor. He has basically a bad heel where there's a piece of bone in there giving him some problems. They may have to go repair it. It's no big deal..."

Expressing anything other then confidence in Tyrel's willingness to play would undersell Reed's competitive spirit. In regards to Selby, Self has played both good cop and bad cop. He has been plenty critical of his play at times, but is careful to go overboard because he knows Selby is just a freshman. He is more supportive now with his confidence dwindling, and I can't help but think that Josh will pull out of his funk during the Big XII tournament. All it takes is one little swish for a player with his ability and swagger to move his recent struggles into the rearview.

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 8 months ago

Tyrel would want to play to his last day as a Jayhawk even if he had to get a wooden leg. This kid is tough as nails . I cannot imagine us without him this season. Another reason to vote everyday till March 20th. http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/mens_basketball_2010-11/

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 8 months ago

Reed is a senior and his play and attitude are what you would expect. He knows he has to make up in effort what is lacking in talent. And I like that a bunch.

Selby is a freshman and may have been surprised at what it is like to swim with the big fish. I truly don't want to down play Selby's ability up to this point, but something has to change because the guy is getting close to becoming more of a liability than an asset.

Steve Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

close to....watch the tape....past close to.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 8 months ago

I was trying to have an open mind about it. But my gut has been telling me for some time that either he doesn't have "it" or is protecting his "draft stock" from further injury. There I've said what I've been thinking nearly all season.

naturalist 3 years, 8 months ago

What about Releford, what's up with him? Does he have an injury?

slowplay 3 years, 8 months ago

He did but I don't know if that's still a factor. There's just no room for him, especially as Self usually sticks to an 8-9 man rotation during the post season.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 8 months ago

HCBS has said numerous times Travis got caught up in a numbers game when he came back from injury, and he would have to beat someone out. My guess is either 1) He isnt 100% yet, or 2) He hasnt performed to the level in practice to move ahead of anyone else. Hopefully Travis will get some minutes in the Big12 tourney and play well enough to get some time in the NCAAs. If we lose the twins, we are really gonna need Releford next season as we will have no big man depth and I could see him playing a Mario type roll only more minutes especially if we dont sign Daniels or the other kid that got released from his scholly from Depaul. Our bigs will be TRob and Whithey with walkon Wesley ( whom I dont expect to see much if any time at all). Will be interesting next season for sure. Although its time to enjoy this ride and worry about next season later. RCJHGKU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JHawk74 3 years, 8 months ago

It would be nice to rest Selby and Reed in the first game of the Tournament we just need to get out and kick their butt early in the first half so the top eight players can get some rest in the second half of the game. Keeping the starters to 20 minutes on the first game of tournament would be great for their energy for the next couple of games.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't see how a team can go far with Reed and Selby this wounded.

But then I didn't see how a team with these two this wounded could get this far either.

Nothing is written.

kranny 3 years, 8 months ago

Good point. I do remember though Hinrich twisting his ankle and coming back against Stanford, Duke, and Zona in "02 or was it "03?

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 8 months ago

2002, first game of the tourney against Holy Cross. One of my favorite memories was when he came back for the Stanford game just two days later. KU fans cheered so hard they just about blew the roof off the Edward Jones Dome.

Ah, good memories.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 8 months ago

We needed Reed's 3 to whoop the misery cottonballers, but Selby looked like crapola on a paper plate. Can't make myself give any credit to misery defense either-waaaay out of character. Gotta have Tyrel but we didn't miss much when Selby first had the injury. Four to five games afterwards we smoked everyone. I thought we found better offensive consistancy without him. JMO. Now that EJ's steady in the mix, Selby's role will (should) be much more limited. Maybe next year Josh. I say welcome back, just try to remember how much fun boot camp was!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Man, these nagging injuries and then, I look at the Missouri game, where the Tigers were undefeated going into that game. These guys are playing with a lot of guts. I got to hand it to them! Hang in there guys! Good luck on Thursday.

William Weissbeck 3 years, 8 months ago

Always keep in mind, other teams have injuries, too. And most coaches are closer to the Bill Snyder style of discussing little or nothing. For my money, guys this big, jumping this high, all have foot problems - if not back and/or ankles. Play smart and play tough and the other things will take care of themselves.