Sunday, March 6, 2011

Senior guard Tyrel Reed called his shot against Missouri

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-66 victory over Missouri on March 5, 2011.

Download podcast

— In need of a big basket in Saturday’s game against Missouri, Kansas University’s basketball team turned to its senior go-to guy ... Tyrel Reed. Who else?

“We had nothing going on, no juice with a minute left, and Tyrel makes the biggest shot of the game,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 70-66 victory over the Tigers in Mizzou Arena.

“I said, ‘Let’s run ‘C’ and get Tyrel a shot in the corner, and he said, ‘I’ll make it,’’’ Self added, relating how Reed, ala Babe Ruth on his home run to center field, actually called the shot.

The Jayhawks, who had seen a 15-point lead (63-48, with 4:11 left) dip to four points (63-59, 1:32), were bailed out by the Reed three at 1:05.

That three came out of a timeout.

“We were in the huddle. It’s not really a play. It’s one of our sets,” Reed said. “I don’t know who it was (who) set a good fade screen for me in the corner. I told coach I was going to knock it down. He said, ‘Make the shot.’

“I did and am happy about that,” added Reed, who finished with 11 points in 37 minutes.

A fired-up Reed stared in the direction of, and may have yelled something at, MU’s raucous student section, the “Antlers,” after hitting the critical three.

After the game, KU’s Marcus Morris waved to the Antlers before hopping in the hand-shake line with MU’s players.

“It means a lot. Every year it’s our goal to win the Big 12 championship. It looked like we weren’t going to a few weeks ago,” Reed said.

The Jayhawks were two back of Texas with three weeks left in the season.

“We were fortunate, caught some breaks and won it. I’m happy the way we competed today. I thought we played dumb (24 turnovers), turned it over a lot, but defended all right and found a way to win,” Reed said.

Comments

kdeutch 3 years, 1 month ago

Did anybody see Bowers shove TRob late in the game & later see Tyrel get shoved into the MU cheer squad? Both happened after a dead ball and were just UNCALLED FOR (and totally ignored by the refs)! I know its the Border War, but Mizzou-try to show at least SOME sportsmanship! (This is also why MU loses on the road, but wins at home where they can get away with this behavior).

Vittorio1224 3 years, 1 month ago

If you haven't listened to Bob Davis's and Chris Piper's reaction to the phantom intentional foul call on Mc Morris, you should. That's why I love Bob Davis calling the games -- PASSION!!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

I didn't see the last 4 minutes until today, due to the "sun spots" that assaulted the Midwest; however, while I thought it was questionable, I wasn't as upset with the intentional foul when I saw it as I was when I heard it from Bob. There were certainly more "intentional" fouls committed in the last couple minutes, but the Misery player did have a breakaway, and I wouldn't have thought the call was as bad were it called against our opponent. Now. I still haven't seen the palming call, but I don't think I've seen a palming call all season, so that had to be questionable at best.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

I have said it many times this season, and I will say it one more time-----I would not trade Tyrel Reed for anybody----he can play on my team anytime, anywhere! Rock Chalk!

TwistedFish31 3 years, 1 month ago

There isn't a basketball fan in the world (except maybe the banjo playin inbreds from columbia) that wouldn't say there was some hometown calls going on in the last 4 minutes in Paige arena! That was a joke!

wrwlumpy 3 years, 1 month ago

The "Picket Fence" For Jimmy, "I can hit it coach".

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

Great call, ancient! It is a perfect reminder of Jimmy Chitwood.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 1 month ago

All very true, though Brady certainly enjoyed getting knock over on the baseline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KcnYSfZhM with 42.9 seconds left. :-)

mispay4ku 3 years, 1 month ago

Ha! I so want to know what Reed said. :) And Marcus giving a wave, perfect! I had a Mizzery fan ask if the Morris twins could count to a 100. Wow, jealous much? I can only imagine the things that were yelled at our guys during that game; poor guys had to play in that rotten stench of a hole...no wonder Elijah was puking in the trash can.

ancient_hawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Shades of Jimmy Chitwood...

Alohahawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Antlers must have loved the recognition from both Reed and Mc Morris. Would have been apropo if the salutations were of the one finger type. You know: : Ku is #1, or another, more recognizable gesture. :-)