Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reed’s 3 ‘great play’

Wrinkle catches MU off guard

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-66 victory over Missouri on March 5, 2011.

Download podcast

— With 1:05 remaining, Kansas University guard Tyrel Reed made what KU coach Bill Self called the biggest shot of the Jayhawks’ 70-66 victory over Missouri: a three-pointer from the left corner to give KU a seven-point lead.

According to Missouri forward Laurence Bowers, there was more going on than simply a player making a shot.

“Coach Self,” Bowers said, “drew up a great play.”

Here’s what happened:

With KU leading 63-59 and 1:16 remaining, Self called timeout with 19 seconds left on the shot clock.

Following the break, KU ran the weave at the top of the perimeter — one of the standard plays that Kansas runs nearly every game. With 12 seconds left on the shot clock, Reed handed the ball off to teammate Brady Morningstar, who took a dribble before tossing to Tyshawn Taylor.

Bowers said MU’s players had seen the play before and knew what came next. Following the second pass in the weave, Reed was to execute a backdoor cut toward the rim. Once Taylor received the pass from Morningstar and Reed began to cut from the left wing, MU guard Kim English anticipated this, taking a half-step toward the basket to protect the rim.

Reed didn’t sprint toward the middle, though, as Self threw in a wrinkle during the timeout.

Instead of a backdoor cut, Self had Reed run off a fade screen by Marcus Morris.

With the fade screen, Marcus screened English just outside the lane, while Reed circled around the three-point line before fading to the corner to receive a lob pass from Taylor.

“It kind of took us by surprise,” Bowers said.

English, who was overplaying the inside expecting a backdoor cut, ran into Morris’ left shoulder on the screen and was unable to get to the corner. He also ran into Bowers — Morris’ defender — who wasn’t able to get out to Reed.

The result was a wide-open shot for the KU senior, as neither English nor Bowers was even close enough to get a hand up to contest the three-pointer.

“You’ve got to give him credit,” Bowers said of Reed, “because he hit a big shot.”

MU coach Mike Anderson sensed that KU’s players became more physical in the second half.

“The war was won in the paint,” he said. “I thought in the second half, they really took it to us there.”

Comments

Scott Smetana 8 years, 5 months ago

Glad I saw the highlight on Sportscenter. I think CBS screwed most of us by showing us the opening minutes of the exciting Oregon/Arizona game instead .

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGdcWb... for the Bob Davies version. or try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KcnYSfZhM for a longer segment of the game, and then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KcnYSfZhM for the end of the game including Tyrel's 3. Thanks Eden40000 and Bensa.

farawayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Is there a link for Reed's 3 pointer? These were great but cut out at the 1:16 TO mark. Would love to see the play but can't find it.

theajayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Wtf. None of these links show Tyrel's three pointer or the end. Cuts off right after KS timeout.

David Hewitt 8 years, 5 months ago

He copied the same link 2x up above. Here's the correct final link:

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry and thanks. Thought I had done both, err all 3.

Bruce Brenner 8 years, 5 months ago

Great to see the ending of the game that was blocked out by CBS in the NY area

jblamson 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm SO sick of CBS doing that, as well as the local stations that go along with it...cutting from a game at the end to watch the start of another game...and Oregon/Arizona??? Oh wow...there's a really exciting game. You'd think CBS would have at least done a split screen or come back to it when the game got closer than the 12 pt lead KU had when they cut away. They do this in the regular season as much as the NCAA tournament and I'm tired of it!

addlime 8 years, 5 months ago

What can we, the people, do about this? CBS sucks so bad!!!!!!!! They cut to the regional game coverage all the time. What really sucks is they didn't cut back when the game got close. How disappointing! I just wish there was something we, the people, could do about it! I hate CBS so much. They've ruined the first weekend of the tourney for over 2 decades now. ESPN did it so much better. What can we do??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE CBS!

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

we got those top ranked teams michigan/michigan state instead of the last 5 minutes of ku. CBS sucks

jhwkfanincali 8 years, 5 months ago

Kim English said in a CBS post game interview, "It wasn't the screen from Marcus that prevented me from getting to Tyrel, it was the sunspots." Rock Chalk!

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

Tyrel hollering at the Antlers after hitting that shot was priceless!

ohmixmaster 8 years, 5 months ago

+1000!!!

TR is rarely a trash talker, but this one was priceless. Except for hitting a shot to win the NC, I can't think of a better moment for TR to break out of character. LOVED IT!!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Reed has talked trash to the crowd before, but it's only in big moments. He's hit game winning threes (or threes that would essentially shut the door) and turned to the crowd or the bench. It's just been a while. But don't be fooled, that kid has a deadly competitive fire inside him.

ohmixmaster 8 years, 5 months ago

Competitive, absolutely. He's one of the best in recent memory, and yeah, I remember him talking the very rare bit of trash (usually its a yell to the sky when hitting a big 3). But you gotta admit, Big Shot's trash talk to the meth head antlers was priceless on Saturday.

Man I wish he would have red shirted his Freshman year.....gonna miss him.

RockCaCO3 8 years, 5 months ago

I'd love to know what he said, if anything, to them. Couldn't tell from the youtube video, but he could have just been staring at them? Probably not:)

Matt1958 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't care what anybody says. Tyrel draining that 3 and then barking at those half baked antlers will in my mind go down as one of the greatest moments in KU-MU history.

Matt Lacey 8 years, 5 months ago

A Kansas kid is entitled to that, and an AAA probably uses words the slavers don't understand.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

"Some Possible Sculptures Memorializing the KU-MU Rivalry for the KU Hall of Fame"

~Bronze statue of a Tiger being mounted by a Jayhawk.

~Bronze statue of Larry Brown peeing on The Columns.

~Bronze statue of The Antlers burning in napalm.

~Bronze statue of Norm Stewart outsmarting himself with a whistle.

~Bronze statue of Qunn Snyder coaching city league.

~Bronze statue of Mike Anderson switching to Arkansas.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Alohahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

When was Queenie Snyder promoted? I thought he was relegated to kindergarden potty training for future kitty litter kats.

bayareajhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

hahahahaha

each one is better than the last

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

As was the case with most of the country (including Kansas City), I was unable to see the play in question. I caught him hitting the shot on Sportscenter, but I didn't get to see the play unfold. Are we sure it was Self who drew up the wrinkle, or was it Reed who read his opponent?

I, of course, don't question the wisdom and talent of our head coach, but as a guy who played point/shooting guard I was trained from very early on about how to read an opponent when you come off a screen. If he tries to fight through, you curl. If he tries to go around, you fade. Again, I didn't see the play (and I may be misreading Jesse's description), but it sounds like Tyrel saw his man anticipating the backdoor cut and going around the screen, so he read it and faded.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, but I'd love to hear some insight on those who saw it (and, of course, Jesse if you'd like to tell me I'm an idiot for misunderstanding your article and how the play was run, please do). Was it really a designed play or did Coach actually draw it up that way?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Just watched it on YouTube. Reed was clearly headed straight towards the corner on that. There is still the possibility that he could have been reading his opponent, but it definitely looked like a set play.

Jesse, did any member of the team say Self drew it up that way? Just purely out of curiosity.

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

If you check out the other article on this shot (it was a good shot, important no doubt, but worthy of two articles? Couldn't they have combined the two?) Self called out the set to get Tyrel that shot in the corner.

Clydecito 8 years, 5 months ago

It was a side out, in bounds play Coach called "C". Tyrel responded: "I'll make it". Game over.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the responses all. Truly a smart chess move by Coach Self. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking he can't make in-game adjustments.

Jeremy Paul 8 years, 5 months ago

Taylor stinks. Why does he play? With about 30 seconds to play, just after Reed hits one of his two free throws, they show Self screaming "No foul, no foul!" And then Taylor immediately fouls. And then, for good measure, he appears to give the crowd his middle finger. I could be wrong on that one, but I know I'm not wrong when I say that KU is a better team when he's on the bench.

kerbyd 8 years, 5 months ago

It's a shame that CBS couldn't have someone like Frank Chirkinian running their basketball coverage. For those of you that don't know the name, Frank was the director of CBS' golf coverage for many years. In reading statements about him he said many things that should apply to the porous coverage of college basketball, as well as other sports. "It's not what you say, it's what you don't say". "Don't be obtuse". "Don't state the obvious". "Let the pictures tell the story". "The game comes first". I guess the "ayatollah" as he was called with affection, was not "pc" enough to survive nowdays.

brooksmd 8 years, 5 months ago

Funny you should mention him. At the end of the NASCAR race in Vegas today, FOX put up a memorial photo of him. Unfortunately I missed most of the comments about him except a reference to the Masters. He died this past Friday at 84.

REHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

An unconsienable move, CBS cutting to the West Coast contest, dumping the closing minutes of our game. Is there no way our athletic dept. can sue for such action, or at least negotiate future CBS game assignments to guarantee this won't happen again? It is one thing to miss the opening minutes of a game, but quite another to lose the close, esp. in a tight contest. On a level with the network's cutting off the conclusion of a two hour movie, so they can sell a string of commercials.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I sent a complaint to CBS Sports online and stated that both teams' fans (mizzboo and KU) could push their respective programs to not schedule CBS games in the future if CBS doesn't promise to never cut away at the end of a game like that again. You could start a petition that fans could sign and send onto the Athletic department to show how angry and serious we are about it. I'm sure you could get a plethora of signatures from both fan bases.

And, btw, I have yet to get any response from CBS to my electronic letter. Although, I'm guessing they received a number of complaints on this same subject.

DJay23 8 years, 5 months ago

Great article! I really enjoy reading about the X's and O's in detail.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 5 months ago

Happy Reed was able to step up, as he looked entirely out of whack most of the game because of the defense quickness. Once they started hitting shots & able to set up the press, the JBirds ball handlers all looked bad with the exception of EJ. That press truly exposed Selby also, as merely a situational sub at this point of his career. Hudy needs to keep him worn out for the next year or two. But Tryel, wow! Talk about ready for prime time. Would also like to add a sculpture to JB's list:

-Bronze statue of Tryel giving the German salute (nose thumb) to the Antler's after hitting the 3.

leonard 8 years, 5 months ago

Coach Self is a master at stealing 5-10 pts. a game with great out of bounds plays and designed offensive sets.

KansasComet 8 years, 5 months ago

Great shot Tyrel. We will need more of those come tournament time.

SDSurferFan 8 years, 5 months ago

IMO This is the best week of the season. Championship week and Selection Sunday. I love the Tourney, but watching it is a bit stressful (KU and SDSU Fan). Especially this season.

Question----I'm also going to NYC this week for biz and was going to scalp tix for the BE Tourney at MSG. Any advice? I'm trying to go on Thursday. I picture myself walking up to a huge dude in a puffy NorthFace jacket and Yankee cap. Very excited to see tourney in the mecca of basketball.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 5 months ago

Happy for you that you'll be taking in the Big East Tourney. I will be flipping channels and watching various match ups but the Big East Tourney will be high on my list.

tauck 8 years, 5 months ago

how can I get a video of the last 1:16, what link do i go to

Jack Wilson 8 years, 5 months ago

Just watched the last 3+ minutes at the youtube link.

1. The stupid intentional foul call on Marcus didn't cost us anything. 2 points on the layup or 2 on the free throws. They missed on the possession following anyway, but an absolutely horrible call. Overall, a horribly refereed game.

2. Why is Tyshawn in instead of EJ in the last 3 minutes? TT's highlights - another failed drive to the hoop at the 1:45 mark, not looking to pass. I have really never seen a point guard like this before. It's like when he starts his drive, his teammates don't exist. Doesn't matter where help comes from, doesn't matter if someone cuts off his path, nothing matters ... he's going to shoot. A few games ago, Little drove into the lane, and dished to Morris for an easy bucket. My first thought was, "have I ever seen TT do that?"

3. Then at the 20 second mark, Self is saying "don't foul" and TT, of course, promptly fouls. Really unbelievable. But not unbelievable to those who have watched this now for 3 years.

It is really hard not be harsh on this guy.

EJ 27 - 30 minutes, TT 15 - 18 minutes, with some time together on the floor. That's the best way to go.

In a game where we had 24 turnovers, EJ had exactly zero. Not saying he drives in the lane and creates either, but he's the better option heading into the tournament. He's playing excellent D.

Now the game really begins.

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't agree more. At one point during the game when Missouri was coming back from one of their large deficits and TT was on the court I was screaming at the TV to get EJ in there. I learned later that it might have been when he was puking into a trash can. At any rate, I thought the same thing about TT in both the aTm game and yesterday, that once he drives a shot is going up.

Something regarding the turnover statistics, you have pointed out that these are not always correct, citing a game TT was credited for 6 when he should have had 7. Without going back and watching every minute of every game and taking notes it's hard to get a handle on how many players should actually have, but I know both EJ's and TT's totals from yesterday should be higher. When I saw the box score I couldn't believe that they had one combined between them, having remembered both of them having a couple.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 5 months ago

You're right .. sometimes it is puzzling how they credit turnovers. Steals, too .. there was one game where Releford tipped a ball to Morningstar, and they gave the steal to Morningstar.

EJ puking in the trash can explains some of the time.

jimclarkpgs 8 years, 5 months ago

Great comments and analysis. I have enjoyed this site for whole bball season. I learn something about the game and the hawks each time I visit here.

Thanks for the link to the last minutes of the game. Does anyone know where I can find Bob Davis' call of Tyrel's shot? Would love to watch the video again, along with Davis' play-by-play.

Thanks!

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

Davies call of the intentional on Marcus (listed at comment #2) is a splice from Bensa @ rockchalktalk.com. Not sure where he got the audio.

bradyboy 8 years, 5 months ago

So I recorded the rebroadcast of the second half last night. Guess what? I only recorded it til 11:30 because thats when it should have been over. So I woke up this morning tried to watch it and it was at the 5 min mark at 11:30. So I still didn't get to watch the last 4 min. But, I saw it on youtube. Hopefully Baylor can beat Texas in the tourney. Does anyone think LaceDarius Dunn should win the big 12 sportsmanship of the year? If there is one, because everytime I watch him he's always helping other guys up.

par521 8 years, 5 months ago

In the meantime is everyone going to seniorclassaward.com to vote for Tyrel. Sure hope so...you can vote once a day.

Kent Kossoy 8 years, 5 months ago

Thank you to all that provided the YouTube links. In Houston we also were affected by the "sun spots" that produced stupidity at Crappy Broadcast Suckholes. Now I understand what Bob Davies was all wound up about. And Tyrel's great three.

Craig Colgin 8 years, 5 months ago

As I sit here at home, on this fine sunday evening with little to do. I find myself cherishing the thoughts and memories of the last 7 Big 12 titles, and the 88 and 08 NC. I watch youtube videos, highlights of the 88 and 08 NC, and postgame reactions as well as old ku videos. The Big Dipper's jersey retirement, The coaches of KU, the list goes on and on. And yet with all of this success and the most tradition that can be found on any particular program, I hunger. I hunger for more, and I'm not being selfish. I really deeply in my heart, want this years NC for our current players. I love them all, and I have enjoyed watching this team all season, even when they aren't at their best. And nobody more than Tyrel Reed. For all that he has accomplished as a student and an athlete at KU, and the class which he has always exihibited as member of the Jayhawks, I can think of nobody that deserves it more. To go out as a senior, at the most tradition rich basketball program in the universe, winning a national title, not just as a name on the roster, but as a very very valuable and major contributor. This small town boy with big dreams, and the drive to put in the hours of hardwork to accomplish those dreams. I get chills as type, and think of what a glorious example of God's grace it truly is to be a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk Forever!!!