Saturday, March 5, 2011

Brady Morningstar recalls Antlers before Border War

As of earlier this week, Brady Morningstar hadn’t been bothered by Missouri’s infamous student cheering section, “The Antlers.”

“It’s kind of surprising because they phoned me all last year,” Morningstar, Kansas University’s senior guard from Lawrence, said.

“Both of ’em, Missouri and K-State, called me (last year),” he added. “I never answer (their) calls. I never talk to them on the phone. That’d waste my (cell) minutes. I need minutes,” he added, laughing.

Counting his red-shirt season, Morningstar has an 8-1 record against rival Mizzou — 3-1 in Columbia, site of today’s 11 a.m. Border War battle.

“The fans are fun at K-State and Missouri, but different,” Morningstar said. “K-State … they are at halfcourt and Missouri behind the basket. They say some mean things. The meanest thing? It probably wouldn’t be appropriate to put on camera or radio. It’s all fun and games. To me the more stuff they say ... the more fun it is.”

Like Morningstar, senior Tyrel Reed is looking forward to his final trip to Mizzou Arena.

“It’s a game everyone circles on their schedule every year,” Reed said. “The rivalry goes back hundreds of years. It’s big. It’s who people hate around here. I’ve grown up my whole life not liking Missouri.

“Even though I went on a visit there (as senior recruit at Burlington High), I knew in my heart I wanted to be a Jayhawk. We have to go take care of business. We know they have a good program. They really do. It’s going to be a tough one.”

The Jayhawks, who have clinched at least a share of their seventh straight Big 12 title, can wrap up an undisputed conference crown today. A loss, coupled with a Texas victory over Baylor, would make KU and UT co-champs.

“I think it’s Missouri, the rivalry more than anything else,” KU coach Bill Self said of motivation for today’s game. “If you play shirts and skins with nobody in the stands, I think our guys would be excited to play. I’m sure theirs would, too. That (rivalry) is primary. Actually, a chance to win the league outright is also a big factor.”

Self has a 16-3 career record versus Missouri — 13-3 in eight years at KU.

“I don’t know if it’s anything other than history,” Self said of the sometimes-bitter rivalry. “I’ve only been a part of it going on eight years, and I was part of a great Missouri rivalry when I was at Illinois also. This one is more intense, and there is more hatred. I think this stems back from ... I don’t think it’s the players or coaches or anything as much as it is how people have been raised — the area of the country where they have been raised. It comes back to statehood, both places. There is certainly a lot of pride that exists in both states, and this is the game that many people circle that are fans of each respective school.”

Early start: The Border War has an early-bird start time of 11 a.m. today.

“It’s as good as it gets,” Morningstar said. “It’s what you want to have, going on the road. At Missouri, go get a win, early-morning game, have a good bus ride home, but you’ve got to get your work done there first.

“Come (today), we’ve got to be ready because they’ll be ready. I know that.”

Marcus Morris on the matchup: “It’s definitely going to be a challenge. Going to Missouri is like going to ... I’m not gonna say, but it’s tough. It’s going to a place where everybody hates you. It’s something we don’t even know why. It’s definitely going to be tough. Hopefully we can be their first home loss because we don’t like sharing. If we could win it outright, it would be a good way for our seniors to go out.”

Anderson hopes to retire at MU: MU coach Mike Anderson told the Columbia Tribune he’s not interested in a possible head-coaching vacancy at Arkansas.

“I plan on being at Missouri for a long time, retire here,” he told the Tribune. “I’m happy. I think that’s the most important thing. It’s always about being happy.

“I’m here,” he said. “We’re talking about Kansas. We’re getting ready for Kansas. That’s what we’re getting ready for. That’s what I want to talk about. We’ve got a big game coming up. My point to you is that, No. 1, I’m a Missouri Tiger. We love it here. I said we’re going to win a national championship. We’re going to do it here. I plan on being at Missouri a long time. That’s where I’m coming from.”

Comments

KU_FanSince75 6 years, 4 months ago

Brady's Senior Night speech after the game with A&M was the best. I hope you carry that momentum into this game. Rock Chalk!

number1jayhawker 6 years, 4 months ago

Actually he could be correct since it's been going on for over 160 years, which is more than 1 hundred so he could use the plural term hundreds. lol

Kyle Crenshaw 6 years, 4 months ago

very true...i have lots of friends who are Michigan fans and have grown to like them as well (it may just be the blue!) but they feel the same way about michigan state... yeah it's a rivalry but it's ohio state that they hate!

actorman 6 years, 4 months ago

You're so right about KSUck, ralster. I'm still shocked that they would sell a DVD of a regular-season victory. As mediocre as KU's football history has been, and as horrible as the streak against Nebraska was, I don't remember KU selling a DVD when we finally beat them, and there would have been at least some basis for that.

It's like when fans chant "overrated," which is basically saying that their own team sucks. What a joke.

Scott Smetana 6 years, 4 months ago

K-State... not-so-smart little sister. Gotta like them.

MethSewery... no class fans who are rejects of the Big 10 & 12.

Anderson... too good for Mizzery, please leave so they can hire Quinn again.

bulltown03 6 years, 4 months ago

I have the t-shirt from the nebraska win at home, but mainly because we scored 11 td's on them, most ever... the dvd sales is a joke. and its not the first time. they did it in 08 when they beat us too... hopefully the team remembers that and kicks their a$$ come little tourney time

Kevin Studer 6 years, 4 months ago

This is MU's most important game of the year. Ours will be in the tourney. That's all anyone needs to know about the two programs.

TwistedFish31 6 years, 4 months ago

actorman, I thought you were kidding about the k-state DVD. This is the most pathetic thing I believe I've ever seen from a Division 1 program. http://kansasstate-media.cbscollegestore.com/store.cfm?store_id=482. And I guess KU should be honored but I would guess that even our kids are just embarrassed for the k-state players knowing they play for such a sad little school.

Firebirdguy31 6 years, 4 months ago

I feel sorry for the fools that bought it! Talk about losers. At least the guys that made it were making a buck!

JJHawq 6 years, 4 months ago

Nothing wrong w/ the Nebraska tshirt. When you beat a team once every 50 years it's justified.

tauck 6 years, 4 months ago

Here it is in a nutshell...KSU is a rivalry.....Missouri is PURE HATRED!!!!!

Dirk Medema 6 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, or KSU is the lil' bro' rival, while mizzoo is the enemy.

Gregor Southard 6 years, 4 months ago

"Mizzou?" Hard to respect a school that doesn't know how to spell their own name!

Benjamin Piehler 6 years, 4 months ago

KU is too classy to have an organization whose sole purpose is to hate a particular school.

Jacobpaul81 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad to see Anderson so committed to Missouri. I've always really liked him. He's a great coach with a similar demeanor to Self. He's hard to hate.

ohmixmaster 6 years, 4 months ago

Amen. Watch the film, "Winters Bone" and witness what life and the people (I use the terms "life and "people" loosely) are like in Missouri. One word came to mind, "WOW".

On a completely unrelated note, during my first trip back home from my new residence in Ohio some 13 years ago, I brought my dog with me and the very first thing he did after stepping onto Missouri soil was take a massive dump. In between laughing fits were moments of extreme pride knowing my then 1 year old puppy was indeed worthy to be elected into the unofficial KU fan hall of fame. Guido still proudly wears his Jayhawk collar to this day. He, like every KU fan, knows the entire hillbilly paradise known as Misery, deserves nothing more than the salute he so proudly gave it on that cold December afternoon.

rockchalk80 6 years, 4 months ago

No question that Misery is our rival...

KSU's goal? beat Kansas KU's goal? win the B12 regular season championships...along the way whip all comers.

Bring back Norm Stewart...

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

"Some Possible Sculptures Memorializing the KU-MU Rivalry for the KU Hall of Fame"

~Bronze statue of a Tiger being mounted by a Jayhawk.

~Bronze statue of Larry Brown peeing on The Columns.

~Bronze statue of The Antlers burning in napalm.

~Bronze statue of Norm Stewart outsmarting himself with a whistle.

~Bronze statue of Qunn Snyder coaching city league.

~Bronze statue of Mike Anderson switching to Arkansas.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)