Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Freshman QB Berglund won’t participate in spring drills

Change in class schedule means prize recruit won't join Jayhawks until August

Kansas University freshman quarterback Brock Berglund’s path to becoming the starter for the Jayhawks this fall hit a snag on Wednesday.

KU coach Turner Gill announced that Berglund, a three-star, dual-threat gem from Valor Christian High in Highlands Rach, Colo., would not participate in spring drills and instead would join the program this summer with the rest of the Class of 2011.

“Brock Berglund has decided to change to modified class scheduling this semester,” Gill said. “This change will allow him to still be eligible this fall. Due to personal circumstances, we have decided it is in his best interest to come in (during) the summer with the rest of the outstanding 2011 recruiting class. Brock is committed to being a student-athlete at the University of Kansas.”

Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, graduated early from Valor Christian and enrolled in classes at KU for the spring semester. He has been on campus since late-January and has been taking classes. However, the personal matter that Berglund is dealing with will take him away from Lawrence this spring and therefore he won't be around to participate in spring drills. He has graduated from high school, he is eligible, he just won't be around to participate. KU officials said that Berglund has made arrangements to continue to take KU classes on-line while he's out of town.

KU officials also said that Berglund would be eligible to join the team at any spring drills remaining should the personal matter be cleared up before the end of April. If he does not return until May or June, he would then still be able to participate with teammates in any conditioning and offseason workout programs.

Although this news comes as a blow to Berglund’s chances of becoming KU’s starting quarterback for the 2011 season, it has not done anything to change his desire to play for Gill and the Jayhawks.

“I am committed to being a part of the Kansas football program and am excited to join my teammates this summer,” Berglund said in a release.

Spring practices are scheduled to begin at KU on April 1, with the annual spring game set for April 30. Berglund will not participate in any of the 15 spring practices or the game.

Comments

d_prowess 3 years, 5 months ago

Does this just mean that he is not taking enough credits to qualify as a full-time student anymore?

Matt Tait 3 years, 5 months ago

Working on clarifying things right now... That's all the release said. Stay tuned.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 5 months ago

No. It means that he won't be on campus during the Spring and will be taking the classes online while he's out of town.

matlockhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmmm.....too bad......it would have been a good jump start to his career. Things have a way of working out though. Just trust and believe.

100 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey look it's our favorite football troll below!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

Geeze, it's not like I said I had a feeling this kid was a head case once he compared himself to Vick, tebow, and someone eles I can't remember.

I also didn't draw any correlation to the kid seeing how gill runs things and jumped ship while he could (qoutes are kuad spin)

Both of which could easily be the case.

Sam Brockert 3 years, 5 months ago

Dude, he didn't compare himself to those people, he said that they are basically his inspiration...

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

it's just a case of the "girlfriends" dude, i'm sure she is the hottest sophomore at VCHS but let her go!

100 3 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like a family member's situation. Take care of what you need to back home, Brock -- We can't wait to have you on the field!

Fantastic job Coach Gill in your first full year recruiting at Kansas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayHok 3 years, 5 months ago

I must admit I was really upset when Mangino was let go. At first I thought he was set up. Then the facts started rolling in. Once I knew we were looking for a new coach, I thought Tubberville dying to come here according to reports was our best bet. It has taken me a year to realize Tubberville is in it for himself. He's recruiting well at TT but he's also in... Texas. To me what Gill has done at Kansas after the Mangino report came out is nothing short of amazing. Three wins last year I don't like. But I can give him a pass on a first year's record.

What I can't believe is the national buzz that is starting to surround Gill. I live in Portland and switched on XM radio yesterday expecting to hear the talk about college basketball. It was March 1st so it seemed reasonable on my part. So what was being discussed by a Rivals reporter the second I switched it on? Turner Gill's impressive recruiting at Kansas. Turner Gill's impressive coaching moves at Kansas. This guy went on and on about the improbability of dominating KSU & Missouri for some of these recruits in Gill's first year. He went on and on about Kansas football and didn't talk for a single second analytically about any other Big 12 school. Just Kansas and Turner.

I just wanted to share this with everybody. Turner Gill's buzz is reaching all sides of the country. This is coming from a fan who really wanted Tubberville. I wouldn't want anyone else besides Turner Gill at this point. He embodies every ounce of class we come to expect at Kansas. It almost sounded like the rivals talking head wanted to sign up to play for Turner!

R o c k c h a l k j a y h a w k

DallasHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for that. Always good to hear that KU is getting some national airtime. Agree with the recruiting and now it's time to put it together on the field. RCJH

Bob Forer 3 years, 5 months ago

Nice post, Jayhok. I mostly agree with you, but I still believe, despite the evidence, that HCMM was set up. Nonetheless, he's long gone and its all water under the bridge. Turner Gill haters I think are in for a big surprise.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't say it was a "blow" to his chances of becoming the starting QB at KU. Pretty much all you need is two arms, two legs and a place to strap a helmet on.

It's not like we have the most complex passing scheme. Or even like we have a passing scheme at all. But we shouldn't need to. With our running back situation, next year all I wanna see is "student body left", "student body right". If you can hand off better than, say, Kirk Douglas, you're in.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 5 months ago

I thought the only reason to leave high school early and enroll for the spring semester was for spring practices?

Steve Jacob 3 years, 5 months ago

20% chance he's in Juco next year.

Matt Tait 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, kusportsdotcom... No good excuse, just in a hurry to get it posted so people would know. Thanks for pointing out the hiccups.

• Matt

okjhok 3 years, 5 months ago

Get out of here with that mess...you're lucky Tait is so polite

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

"I'm not quite sure what happened there. But, it should be fixed as well."

Using the conjunction "but" at the beginning of a sentence is considered informal. I expect a little more from such a pristine grammar god.

JJHawq 3 years, 5 months ago

"I'm not being the grammar police but..."

You sure?

Stan Unruh 3 years, 5 months ago

Didn't Berglund just make the rounds at the KU Football in February events? Maybe he was overwhelmed? The kid might have had more than he could handle after just walking out of high school? He'll be back this summer.

Matt Tait 3 years, 5 months ago

I think that's the likely outcome. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Matt Tait 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's how: If he's here in the spring, he gets that much more exposure to the offense, his teammates, the playbook and college football in general. If he's not, he enters August a little behind where he could've been.

Not saying that means he can't or won't start, but missing spring doesn't help him at all.

Landon Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree Matt. People are jumping to conclusions by questioning your words. It's possible he could start, but he would have a much better chance at starting if he has more experience with the team in the spring.

kureader 3 years, 5 months ago

That's right, Matt.

(Obviously, it's pigballin that didn't play football)

kubmg 3 years, 5 months ago

I friend of my mind's daughter attended school with Brock. Due to Brock's baby-fit about leaving his girlfriend, he is having second thoughts about attending KU.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

see, told ya! this has highschool love writen all over it. And this anonymous guys friends daughter who is a classmate of whiped boy says so!

brock, listen, between you and me. nobody read this, especially his girlfriend please. you are about to be starting QB at a school with 12-15thousand girls. the majority of them freshmen who are away from home for the first time. figure 12-14 basketball players will get cream of the crop and then you have the first choice leftovers. which isn't bad.

now, here is where it gets serious. and if you learn anything from a message board post it is this. never! ever! choose one of those girls previously selected by the bb team. did that once (followed nc) and not only did i get an inferiority complex, i also got to take a trip to the on campus health clinic. OUCH!

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

"... and have them home by 10."

I can't believe you passed that up.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

the only thing that comes to mind is a certain happy gilmore qoute said to his caddy after happy was standing in the wrong place on the tee box. . .

HawkTronic 3 years, 5 months ago

Our man Todd Reesing needs to explain some things to this guy about the ol' KU quarterback fishing hole.

rastameta 3 years, 5 months ago

His girlfriend just signed a LOI to play soccer at KU.

Jason Spangler 3 years, 5 months ago

Who the f_ck cares, I'll play quarterback...let's go

Kenneth Hillman 3 years, 5 months ago

Brock - not sure what the personal circumstances are but get it taken care of asap and get back on campus to work out with the team. If it is about a girlfriend back home as suggested above, go home kiss her goodbye and move on to the next chapter in your life. You will be pleasantly surprised with what being on campus will provide, especially being QB. Go embrace being in college. If that's not what it's about, then I hope you get everything worked out and are back on campus asap.

RCJH

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

@ chiefe356. I'm never wrong! See qoutes below.

I would say Tim Tebow, Michael Vick and Peyton Manning kind of all put together

My ability to make plays outside of the pocket is a lot like Michael Vick’s. When it’s third-and-27 and you’re just trying to get a few yards to punt, he makes a first down or a touchdown

Tim Tebow’s just a leader on the field and a motivator, and I like motivating

And I’d say I prepare like Peyton Manning does in the way that I watch tons and tons of film in a week and like to get ready for anything a defense can throw at me

My feeling is he got welcomed to big12 football. Well with our team, borderline big12 football. And ran back to his sophomore cheerleader girlfriend. It must of been horriable spending valentines day away from his first (wink-wink, hubba-hubba, ya-ooo-ga, boing) love

rastameta 3 years, 5 months ago

His girlfriend just signed a LOI to play soccer at KU and will be here next fall.