Tuesday, March 1, 2011

KU basketball coach Bill Self comments on Tyshawn Taylor’s status, says he will be in uniform

Suspended player Tyshawn Taylor stands to applaud his teammates during the second half against Oklahoma State on Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior guard Tyshawn Taylor, who missed the past two games while on suspension, will be available for Wednesday's game against Texas A&M.;

"He will be in uniform tomorrow," KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World Tuesday night, not adding any other details about possible playing time.

On Monday, Self had said KU seniors Mario Little, Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed would start the Senior Day game with the Morris twins. He said Elijah Johnson would be first guard off the bench, whether Taylor was off suspension or not.

Earlier Tuesday, on Scott Van Pelt's national ESPN radio show, Self was asked if there was an update on Taylor's status: "No, not really, but I've been pleased with him and his attitude. I told him I was going to look at some things that I asked him to take care of including academic responsibilities, all these different things and he's been very responsible and responded well, but I'm going to wait until I get a final report."

Comments

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self, "I told him I was going to look at some things that I asked him to take care of including academic responsibilities, all these different things and he's been very responsible and responded well,"

Leads one to believe that Tyshawn's violations had to do with academics, poor grades or lack of attendance or something, instead of the rumor of him playing "one on one" on the jayhawk in the Phog with a coed in the middle of the night.

Steven Mathew 8 years, 9 months ago

I find it coincidental that someone from the girls KU basketball team was suspended indefinitely at the same time Tyshawn was suspended indefinitely. Does anyone know what the girl was suspended for?

kesmithstl1 8 years, 9 months ago

nobody has said. I've heard rumors of having a late night session of 1 on1 with the girl player somewhere in Allen Field House (by somewhere, I've heard under the bleachers, and on the Jayhawk at midcourt). Now we are hearing academics.

In my opinion, Tyshawn's behavior since the suspension, hasn't been one who has brought shame to the University (like something like a drug offense, exposing yourself on an elevator, shooting someone with a BB Gun would do).

Steve Kubler 8 years, 9 months ago

Has it occurred to you that academic information is posted at the same time for all students? Coaches get academic reports on their team or at least that was the case when I was in school even if it was back in the dark ages. This would explain the coincidental timing just as well as a game of 1on1, a late night party, or anything else I've read on here.

TenaciousD 8 years, 9 months ago

Good point, Kubie. I have felt all along that it was academic, because Coach Self keeps saying he needs to "take care of some things". That would usually mean missed assignments, homework, attendance or something of that nature.

You explanation is the best out there for Ty and the girl getting suspended at the same time. It's not as intriguing, but makes perfect sense. And plus, Coach shot down that idea from a reporter last week.

Lash 8 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't matter. We know that Johnson can play the point if need be. And do it better than TT.

waywardJay 8 years, 9 months ago

Let me guess..... You would use the same logic when comparing Pitchers in Baseball .....

Yeah, i know we lost Greinke, but You know.... Luke hochevar can pitch too.... SO can Gil Meche.....

By lining up at the one and coach drawing you up on the board as a one doesn't mean you can fulfill the job fully as a one. Elijah has yet to show the ability to drive and dish ( and Tyshawn Has definetely shown the drive already... and ther eis large debate whether he has shown the dish... I personally believe i have seen enough of it ).....

Sherron was master, and that cannot be denied, and he's not coming back. But advocating for Elijah who has shown some of the abilities but not consistantly enough to Justify starting in a full team concept.... over a Guy who has been waiting in the wings and developing a more wide ranging game as a 1.... Is as intelligent as suggesting you can drive a ferrari because you once rode ona segue.

by no means should this be used as a Knock On Elijah's game, Believe me< I love what he brings, But there is no circumstance that would lead me to believe he's ready to start over an avialable Tyshawn Taylor.

BTW, Yesterday when discussing Taylor's suspension he definetely dodged the questions that this article... he refused to comment on Ty's suspension... period. Seems counterintuitive that he would decide that day or the next morning to start commenting on it...... This appears to be him trying to clear some of the smoke from this matter. I would expect him to play Tomorrow night.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 9 months ago

To add to your point, EJ has played against OSU at home and OU on the road, two of the worst teams in the Big XII this year.

Against a team like A&M or Missouri we might learn a little more.

Kye Clark 8 years, 9 months ago

I totally get what you're saying about EJ's inability to drive and dish. In fact, we haven't seen enough of him period to know what he can and can't do consistently. Two games is not a large enough sample. That being said, I'm more than willing to give him a look. Sure Tyshawn can drive the paint, but I haven't seen enough from him to believe he has the ability to create for his teammates. When he drives the ball he's looking to shoot, almost without exception. Without that ability...how is Tyshawn better than EJ? He's not a better shooter (we know that even without having the benefit of seeing EJ play much), and even with his ability to drive he's not a better scorer. Almost everything else of a comparative nature is speculation. But here's what we do know - Tyshawn has mental lapses, he pouts and it affects his play, he get's careless with the ball far too often, he should be a lock-down defender and instead he's average at best, he should be able to create for his teammates and he doesn't. Honestly the time to be looking at his potential is over. It's not like he's a junior who's been sitting on the bench without a chance. He's played major minutes from day 1, and is he really any better than when he first stepped onto campus?

EJ has played well in 2 games starting, and I think until we see a drop-off he should continue to do so. I think the level of Tyshawn's performance lends itself to a back-up role anyway. If we were getting the kind of play from Tyshawn and he wasn't the starter playing 20+ minutes/game I wouldn't mind as much. I have my doubts as to whether he could embrace a bench role. We all saw his level of play precipitously drop once he started looking over his shoulder when Selby became eligible. But who know's...maybe he's better suited to be fighting for his minutes rather than having them given to him and trying not to lose them.

JRandall 8 years, 9 months ago

I totally get what ur saying about EJ as well. As stated below by icthawkfan316, but we have seen enough of what TT can do, doesn't do, refuses to do, cannot learn to do, doesn't have the BBall IQ to do, etc, etc, etc.

I hope he comes back focused and hungry and proves my opinion wrong. Anything to help the hawks win, I am all for.

DevilHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

K-State just put us back on top of the league, which means that we control our destiny.

EJ has shown that he can play, and we are going to need him in the dance. The fact that we can afford to play him in these next two games will be a major advantage for us.

I agree that Taylor is or at least should be more prepared to start than EJ, but right now we need to give him the opportunity to start. We know what Taylor brings to the table when he's focused, but we also know what he brings to the table when he isn't focused - there's a major difference.

EJ probably would start this game, but Little is a senior and part of the rotation.

86finalfour 8 years, 9 months ago

Just listened...most interesting thing is how he answered if this team is capable of winning a title. I think so many of us feel the same as Coach Self. Let's go defense!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

TT will be in uniform but will he play? IMHO, he might not play if EJ has a really good game against A&M. It will be interesting, to say the least.

kesmithstl1 8 years, 9 months ago

you're right. It will be interesting to find out. If Self wanted to be really mean, he would not play Taylor until the final 2 minutes of the game (assuming KU wins big). He could sub him in for one of the seniors, right alongside Junamen and Roberts. I don't see that happening though.

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 9 months ago

Just wondering if you would abbreviate your unhonest opinion as IMUO or IMUHO. Please let me know.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

I believe IMHO represents "humble" opinion rather than "honest".

Now (if you must...) you can ask whether KU75 has a non-humble opinion. You seem to have already offered yours.

Go Hawks!

Robert Brock 8 years, 9 months ago

Taylor needs to play. He doesn't need to start.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Board rats,

Avoid turning this into Tyshawn vs. Elijah.

Make this Elijah and Tyshawn.

Having two play anytime PGs is going to make this team vastly stronger in the tournament. It means we can turn the defensive heat up on an opposing point guard and keep it up for 40 minutes. This is huge.

But there is more.

Two play anytime PGs in turn makes us truly two deep at 2 and 3 with Tyrel, Brady, Little and Selby. This is huge, because it means we can turn the defensive heat up on the the rest of the opposing perimeter players and keep it up for 40 minutes.

Being able to guard the trey stripe hard at all three positions for 40 minutes forces the opponent to come inside and face our strength, where we will crush them.

We absolutely need Tyshawn Taylor. He's an excellent defender with the greatest side line to side line help range I have seen at PG.

He is a great athlete.

Having Tyshawn to spell Elijah, when the going gets tough, will be huge. It will give Self a chance to skull with Elijah about how to change the attack without the lead shrinking with Tyshawn in. And vice versa.

Two gifted athletes at PG is just a huge, huge advantage.

Rock Chalk!

Cameron Schienebeck 8 years, 9 months ago

Finally a comment worth reading on these EJ-TT debates. I couldn't agree more.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Great point and analysis, Bate! Totally agree. I guess when I made my first post, I didn't mean for it to be TT VS EJ. We do need both for us to be successful.

Hank Cross 8 years, 9 months ago

We do need both b/c they bring different strengths. TT is better at driving and playing D and EJ is a better passer and 3 pt. shooter.

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 9 months ago

Exactly. If this team has proven anything over the year, it's that they love sharing the ball and playing together. So it stands to reason that TT and EJ can do the same thing at the PG.

Every weapon is a valuable weapon, from our Morii machine guns to our Withey slingshot. ;)

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Excellent point Jaybate, and in such short prose. :-)

Another advantage of having the services of both EJ and TT: If one is having a subpar game, the other might have the opposite, an above average game.

One at a time, Hawks. KU by 15. RCJHGKU.

kubmg 8 years, 9 months ago

I hear they were doing the nasty in one of the locker rooms.

Gary Wilson 8 years, 9 months ago

I have yet to see better defense from TT.

In fact, it's been atrocious.

REHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

If EJ and TT can adjust to sharing minutes equally, the point guard situation could be well on the way to being solved. 20/20 minutes should make for fresh legs and pinpoint focus. They might each strive to attain and maintain the other's strengths.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 9 months ago

TT has the edge in game exp while EJ's upside potential seems far greater to me. But his chronic shoulder problem is always lurking. No matter how well he does play we absolutely must have TT available unless Selby shows up (I'm still waiting). However, until we see the kind of pressure defense that disables it, Reed & Morningstar are capable of some limited duties at PG. But I do mean limited. IMO it's put up time for TT-leave the damn bong alone, or maybe transfer to Cal with the fruitcakes we played earlier this season! JMO

KULA 8 years, 9 months ago

I was wondering if Tyshawn would have to watch the senior night activities in street clothes. Good move by Bill to make sure he feels like part of the team. Should prove to be motivating for Tyshawn.

HawkBBall 8 years, 9 months ago

Let's see if Tyshawn is motivated. If he comes out lazy and playing matador on defense again, give him the hook. If he comes out with fire in his game, then look out Aggies, you are about to be torched with the century mark. I think a two-headed monster with EJ and TT at point opens this game wide open for us! Little 15 year old BJ Holmes will crying for his mother.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 9 months ago

TT appears too often lazy. Many rationalizations, excuses, etc. Challenged, tired, stressed, depressed, regressed, whatever...but NO excuse for lazy. That's a personal option embelished by people who flat don't want to work. The correctional system is loaded with em. IMO

Tony Bandle 8 years, 9 months ago

It will be all hands on deck against a desperate Misery team [although, an announcer deftly commented that Missouri might be better off staying in the 5th hole and have ISU as the first round opponent] However, 40 minutes of Hell would become four days of Hell We're Tired!!!

EJ isn't as gifted as TT, or experienced as TT but he has one quality that TT needs to cultivate......to play within ones self and let the game come to him.

Interesting but our starting Seniors could actually start for most teams in Division One....kind of cool when you see a lot of no names and walk-ons on these Senior Nights around the country.

UK almost coughed up a hairball at home....what a bunch of pussies!!!

Mike Joseph 8 years, 9 months ago

+1 Oak. After reading about Fizzou crapping the bed last night at Lincoln, I think they are primed for a major beatdown this Saturday in Methlumbia. RCJHKU!!

Mike Joseph 8 years, 9 months ago

This may be the first game this season with everyone available to play. Let's get on a roll and no more suspensions, injuries, family tragedies... I think this team has faced the gauntlet of adversity and punched it right in the nose. RCJHKU!!!

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Off topic: Have to wonder how BYU"s suspension (for the season) of their top rebounder, Davies, will effect their team's porformance and their ranking/seeding in the NCAA Tourney. What a setback for one of the top perfoming teams in the country. Wow. Doubt they'll receive a #1 seed now, unless they win out through their conference tourney.