Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Keegan

Tyrel Reed no longer nervous

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed looks to push the ball past Colorado forward Andre Roberson during the first half on Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference, Feb. 28, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference Monday, Feb. 28, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self and Tyrel Reed, both sons of basketball coaches and both excellent students in the classroom and on the hardwood, seemingly had a lot in common. Yet, for a pair of 6-foot-3 guys, they didn’t necessarily see eye-to-eye at first.

It’s not that Reed, who played for his father, Stacy Reed, at Burlington High, didn’t like his new basketball coach. He just couldn’t shake his harsh critiques at first.

“Tyrel came in as a nervous kid,” Self said. “Really nervous around me and didn’t get me at all for a while. As he’s matured and developed, I think he’s one of the most fun kids to be around.”

As a freshman, Reed played just 144 minutes and averaged 2.0 points in 23 games. The growing pains came in practice.

“Growing up as a coach’s son, I’d always faced a little yelling in my life,” Tyrel said. “I wouldn’t say coach Self’s yelling really got to me that much. I didn’t know how to respond to it as much, it not being from my dad. I couldn’t take it with a grain of salt. I hung onto things. Coach Self doesn’t hang onto things. He’ll say what he wants to say, and then it’s over with. He can joke with you the next play. But I just wasn’t used to that, and I didn’t know how to respond.”

Reed has the confidence now to look back on those days with a smile.

“I was just nervous, never wanting to mess up, trying to please everyone,” he said. “I didn’t have any fun. I wouldn’t say I didn’t have any fun. I had fun, but I didn’t have as much fun as I could have had along the way. Now I’ve kind of loosened up. I can joke with him, and I enjoy being around him, enjoy being around all the coaches.”

As Marcus Morris revealed earlier this year when talking about his coach and his friend Jacob Pullen’s coach, Frank Martin of Kansas State, Self’s demeanor has a rougher edge when he’s wearing a whistle than when he’s wearing a suit and tie.

“I was like, ‘Man, he’s always on me. I don’t know what to do.’ But I got used to it, and I realized it just comes with the territory, and he really loves all his players,” Reed said.

It took guts for Reed to come to Kansas, where playing time can be hard to earn for a small-town Kansas kid. He never looked at it that way. If he hadn’t committed during the early period with Kansas, he said, he might have signed with North Carolina in the spring. He thought he was good enough to earn big minutes for an elite college basketball team, and he was right.

Nothing about him suggests anxiety now. When the ball gets in his hands, he either keeps it moving with a quick, purposeful pass, or he shoots it, or he attacks the hoop with a hard drive, something he didn’t do in earlier years.

Reed’s averaging 27.4 minutes, 9.8 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.5 steals, all career highs. His parents will be on hand Wednesday for their son’s final game in Allen Fieldhouse. Stacy has been to every game, home and away. They’ll be watching a confident man, not a nervous teenager.

Comments

Hope_Inside 8 years, 9 months ago

Best Person/Jayhawk KU could of ever asked for. Rock Chalk #14 VOTE!!!

kerbyd 8 years, 9 months ago

Very nice article in rivals.com on Morningstar and Reed.

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 9 months ago

My favorite player ever for KU. He has only made others better players. RCJH Tyrel

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 9 months ago

I understand completely why you would say Tyrel is your favorite player, but I don't think I could narrow it down that far. Richard Scott, Moody, Pierce, Vaughn..too many and for many different reasons.

UmbertoConforti 8 years, 9 months ago

David Lightly from OSU is coming on fast. Vote.

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Every time I visit the site for the senior class award to vote (for Tyrel only), I'm amazed by the margin of his overwhelming lead. Think about it. He's competing against mostly big name personalities/stars from big name schools (Duke, Ohio State, Etc.) located in what can be considered densely populated areas of the country.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be amazed. Even though his on court numbers don't compare to most of the other "stars" which he is competing against, he wouldn't be receiving such support if the fans didn't truly appreciate everything he has done, both on and off the court, while representing KU and the basketball team over the last four years. My hats off to you, Tyrel.

The national sports headlines over the past summer were all about conference changes, especially those universities jumping to conferences based in densely populated areas, areas where big bucks and support are supposedly located: Such as the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, and those schools based in Texas, and along the West Coast. The voting Reed has received, as well as the huge fanbase that attends KU's games both at home and on the road, should graphically illustrate that it isn't population density which shows team support. A lot of people located in an urban environment doesn't necessarily mean they support those colleges and universities located in those same areas. People attend college, then move to where their jobs take them. There are graduates from every school located in every state and around the world. How many of those graduates travel long distances to support their Alma Mater? How many times has the almost eerie "Rock Chalk" chant been heard at sports venues away from Lawrence and KU? Even more, how many so called fans will even take the time to send a simple vote over a computer to support a member of their team?

Now, look at the voting for Tyrel, and answer this: Even though other schools have huge fanbases, which fans support their team(s) the best?

madamhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Aloha-great post. We are everywhere! Not only are we fans of KU basketball, we are fans of our players on and off the court.

Best wishes to the seniors. It's been a great ride and the best is still to come.

UmbertoConforti 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't know about others, but I have voted 40 times for Reed since he is the only KU player there. He's a good kid, but KU is my school.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 9 months ago

Aloha: I get what you're saying, but Duke, Kentucky, and UNC have huge followings. They may not be focusing on this senior award, but they are everywhere on the message boards.

Go to ESPN for any of their game conversations and they can easily get 1000 posts for just any old game. I wouldn't totally base this Lowe's award on which fanbases are the best. The 3 I mentioned above are huge and they follow their teams as closely as the Jayhawk nation.

There is voting poll somewhere for Coach Self and Coach Self is almost last so it's all relative and matter of perspective IMO.

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 9 months ago

Shaw- what kind of poll is it? I don't get what illusions you are trying to create here. I think that KU's fan base is just as strong as the other 3 you have mentioned. We just choose not to get on the national boards and thump our chests as much as the others. The fact that we get on the boards to see that Reed is recognized in a legitimate poll rather than log in on ESPN or CBS 500 times a day to say that "Kentucky is the greatest college BB program ever" or "UNC is the best thing since sliced bread" says more about our fan base than in a positive way than the 3 other schools that you mentioned. I mean if the Duke fans spent more time logging in to see that Kyle Singler was recognized as the Lowe's POY than they spent spewing hate on the national message boards, then I would see where you are coming from, but as of right now, I don't.
Here's to KU fans showing their loyalty in ways that truly matter, by recognizing the efforts of the kids who got us there.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 9 months ago

You missed the point zig. Just because we have KU fans everywhere voting for this Lowes award for Reed (Which he is currently leading) begs the question of why Coach Self isn't leading in that other poll?

Note: I can't remember the poll, but I keep seeing it when people provide links. With that said, it has all the top coaches in the country and it's something like the capital one National Coach of the year or something like that.

My point is why does Roy Williams, Coach K, and John Calipari have significant leads over Bill Self if those fan bases aren't taking the time to vote in a very similar manner to this Lowes award?

Plus, National message boards like ESPN and CBS is where you find the links to these polls. Where do you think this Kusports website found out about the Lowes award that gets posted everyday on this forum?

My only point is that one poll where Tyrel Reed doesn't really show whose fanbase is more sparse and widespread with loyalty. Duke, Kentucky, and UNC all have very popular school oriented forums, threads, and websites that aren't a part of the National following as you suggest. I'll say it again, it's all realtive in how you look at it and the perspective in which you are trying to see it from.

In the end, alohahawk was indicating that because OSU (Lighty) and Duke (Singler) were significantly behind Reed because the Jayhawks following is so much more vast is misleading IMO. We have a poster that posts the link to voting every single day. Apparently, Duke and OSU don't have anybody that is taking it to that level. Personally, the only reason I vote is because somebody provides me the link. I would never and go search that site in order to vote. That's why I think it's all relative.

ChicagoJHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Good post, Aloha. I agree about us having one of the best fanbases and KU fans definitely are everywhere. Regarding the whole conference realignment thing, I think they understand that we have a great fanbase that travels well for basketball, unfortunately it's our football team that's hurting us. Football is what really brings in the money. We have never been great at football (except 2007 and few other seasons) and that's why a lot of those other conferences were not that interested in us.

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Thx. Part of my point was that just because KU isn't located in a densely populated area, the Jayhawk Nation, members of which live in every state and elsewhere, still spend money supporting the Jayhawks no matter where they live. And I'd bet they spend more on average supporting the Jayhawk's basketball team (travel expenses, food, tickets, Etc.) than the average football fan does from other schools. IMHO.

coloradorcj 8 years, 9 months ago

Good post, Alohahawk. I too have been visiting the Senior Class award site every day and voting for Tyrel. He's a class act in every sense of the word. I have enjoyed watching him the past few years.

The conference re-alignment unfortunately is about football, not basketball. I am still worried about the future of KU's prospects in a conference. My hope is our football team will soon be consistently good year in and year out. That will certainly help should the need ever arise if the Big12 breaks up.

On a side note on the Senior Class award... throw a vote out there for Devon Beitzel at Northern Colorado. Read the guy's bio. Another quality individual. (voting for others may bring down Tyrel's overall percentage lead, but it is harder for the one vote to one vote trade off pitting Tyrel against David Lighty... does that even make sense? Hopefully you follow my train of thought.)

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree but KU is as big a name in basketball as any school. My guess is we have a bigger fan base than Duke etc. Like I always have said here , it is about who he is and not all about just basketball.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Duke?

Isn't Duke some juco in Durham, or somewhere?

Duco Juco?

I know, I've heard of them some time.

Oh, yeah, they have a little rat-faced coach that stole a few rings with cheap shotting.

Isn't their cheer something like...

Tobacco, tobacco, Cancer and tobacco Cough for Duke Cough for Duke Sis boom bah!

100 8 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate,

I believe this timeless cheer from Duke you are referencing took 2nd place in President Roosevelt's mind the day where, Roosevelt, with a backdrop of the White House & a standing applauding group of Americans before him, recited his favorite college chant.... the Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant.

I get the feeling tobacco farmers & Duke's president were both really mad that day.

100 8 years, 9 months ago

Was my comment removed?

Does the LJW need evidence that Roosevelt endorsed the famous Kansas chant way back when?

Very surprised here. I can only guess it was a mistake or we have a Duke alum on the editorial board that didn't like it that Roosevelt chose the Rock Chalk chant.

100 8 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for doing some research into this topic & putting my post back up LJW. Kansas & Duke basketball history are important to the history of America.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

I couldn't imagine Tyrel ever playing for North Carolina. Glad he decided on KU and he is one of favorite all-time KU players. Good luck with A&M, Tyrel. One game at a time!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it is a scary what-if scenario.

Instead of Self's yelling, Tyrel would have had to get used to Roy crying.

Instead of becoming a Self Defenseman, Tyrel would have run around pretending traps were defense.

The only good thing about Tyrel playing at Baja KU would have been that Tyrel would have had a lot of solid KU men as assistants.

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

We have Brady, Tyrel, and have had RussRob, DBlock and other schools have had Wall, Rose, Beasley, Griffin, Durrant, a bunch of one and dones.

The OAD are awesome talents and who among us wouldn't be proud to have had Durrant a KU Grad, yet given what we have, a bunch of 4-5 year studs, I'm mighty proud to be a Jayhawk.

When if the Twins leave this year it seems we are going to be a little short on bigs, with TRob getting triple teamed, oh Terrence Jones made a boo boo.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 9 months ago

What makes you think the Twins are going to leave? It's a little early don't you think? I'm not sold on that idea yet.

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

AtM without Acie Law, come on down.

Next.

farnamjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

It's not just about alumni. I grew up in Emporia and went to Emporia State but I'm a Jayhawk fan forever. There are just as many KU fans who never went to school there as those who did. It's more about what the team and players mean to the state and the people in it.

Linda Daxon 8 years, 9 months ago

I grew up in Emporia, too, but was lucky enough to spend my 4 college yrs in Lawrence. My 3 sisters didn't, though, and they are still big KU junkies, as are my two adult sons who both graduated from Okla. U (sorry about that) but still love KU and wear KU gear all the time. When my mom turned 80 a couple of years back for her birthday she had all five of her children plus her and her husband wear KU tshirts to her regular bingo night in Springfield, Ohio! RCJH

KansasComet 8 years, 9 months ago

KU Fans are all over the World. Not just the United States. Great, loyal fans, that have an undying love for the Jayhawks. There is something special about being a KU Fan.

HawkBBall 8 years, 9 months ago

Congrats, Tyrel. Academic All-American, Lowe's Senior Award, most winning Jayhawk, and the National Championship. Lofty goals, young man!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

A quote from Gandhi applies to Tyrel.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 9 months ago

It's always been so easy to love the Danny Mannings, the Nick Collisons, the Paul Pierces. But, for me, I've always had a fondness for some of the quieter contributers, the Clint Normores, the B.J. Williams, the C.B. McGraths. I can honestly say that Tyrel Reed is one of my favorite all-time Jayhawks! My man crush will now have to move on to someone else, maybe Royce can take over!!!

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 9 months ago

Holy Shoot!!

I just lost it all over my comp screen. Thanks. Hilarious

Miguel Colón 8 years, 9 months ago

That was CJ Williams, BJ Williams played in the mid-90's and didnt have issues with his girlfriend.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

Errr you're thinking CJ Giles. Also known to beat women. BJ did beat his girl too, think it was in the married housing (ring any bells? I can't remember the whole story). I also think BJ moved onto public indecentcy charges for standing in his window or being outside naked and high (that ones fuzzy too)

Regardless 90, we get what you're talking about. It's the guys that put in the work with little to no credit that make Kansas hoops fun!

KansasComet 8 years, 9 months ago

Great post! We should never forget all those that contribute.

AirCapJay 8 years, 9 months ago

I see Reed as a coach someday. I think he will join the KU staff one day under Self and then hopefully someday take over for Self when Self retires.

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

Last I heard, Tyrel doesn't see it that way ... plans on a career in physical therapy.

Of course, back in the day, I once went to an osteopath in Lawrence for treatment of a touch football injury. His name was the same as the one on the field house – not by coincidence.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 9 months ago

Congrats to Tyrel, Brady, and Mario. I also hope that we can continue to attract quality in state players like Reed and Morningstar. Like their predecessors (including Darnell Valentine, Wayne Simien among others), Tyrel and Brady having attended camps and games at AFH throughout their youth, know what Kansas Basketball is about and have served as a conduit for the talented out of state players to truly learn KU's history, traditions, and expectations. In the future, I hope that the likes of Perry Ellis will follow Tyrel and Brady in carrying that torch and continuing to make KU Basketball the program that it is!

thomasrobinson2123 8 years, 9 months ago

Going to miss all of our seniors. Rock Chalk baby! (:

Justin Carlson 8 years, 9 months ago

NCAA Quiz? How many former KU players/assistant coaches now have current Head coaching jobs in College basketball? Help me out and list the school! 1. Mark Turg - A & M 2. Tad Boyle - Buffs 3. Brett Ballard - Baker

A. Former - Rupp Kentucky B. Former - Dean UNC C. Former - Roy Williams UNC D. Former - Larry Brown - ?

I dont want to lose D Manning but he is the next young coach waiting in the wings to turn a program into a powerhouse!

How awesome would it be if Jayhawk coaches and players would take over the coaching world and then everyone would have to admit "basketball" is and forever will be Jayhawk born.

NWKhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Former Jayhawk asst. coaches CURRENTLY head coaches Tim Jankovich - Illinois St. John Calipari - Louisville Matt Doherty - SMU Bill Self - Kansas

Former Jayhawk asst. coaches that are FORMER head coaches

Steve Robinson - Fla. St. Jerry Greene - Tenn. & Oregon Ralph Miller - Wichita St. Neil Doughtery - TCU Norm Roberts - St. Johns

I'm sure there are many more, but that's what I could come up with off the top of my head.

NWKhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Calipari - UK not Louiville

Patino/Calipari same difference

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't call it 'same' difference – one of them usually has teams performing above their talent level.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Kevin Stallings--Vanderbilt. Vandy has to go to Kentucky tonight. Hummm-----I wonder who I will be cheering for---hummm.

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 9 months ago

I hope I'm right, but I don't see D Manning going anywhere. He is coaching at his alma mater (which he has expressed a deep love for). KU is one of the top college BB programs going right now and D Manning is a core reason for that. I mean his recruitment and development of big men is really other worldly. I bet he gets paid pretty handsomly for it as well. He just has never impressed me as the type of guy who is searching for the fame and recognition that go with being a head basketball coach on this level. I see him sitting tight right here at KU for a while. Gosh I hope i'm right.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 9 months ago

IMO it's always bittersweet on Sr night, for parents, for teamates, even for fans. This young man has own over many hearts with his unselfished, hard-nosed play and he will do great things in his life because of his workman like approach and tremendous disicpline. What a prince for our university. You don't need McDAA or OAD's to reach the highest highs... a small town kid from Kansas works just fine for me. If you've not ever seen what this small town sports"kid" from Kansas has accomplished, you have to see it to believe it http://tedwatts.org/bio.php

Enjoy the journey Tyrel, God's Speed.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Dear Sports Editors,

Since The World Corporation has given the LJW the liberty of standardizing non-use of KU's proper name--the University of Kansas, I was wondering if the LJW might standardize non-use of UNC's proper name--Univeristy of North Carolina--and instead adopt Baja KU for UNC. It only seems right. And since I have always heard that the LJW uses Kansas University to be efficient, well, Baja KU is much more efficient than the University of North Carolina, isn't it?

And since anyone who knows anything at all about basketball; i.e., all of your readers, knows Baja KU basketball would be nothing without Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Roy's staff of former KU players and assistant coaches, it would height the clarity of the language used to refer to UNC by standardizing Baja KU.

Heck, if you really want to stick with LJW tradition, you could even refer to UNC as Baja Kansas University, rather than Baja the University of Kansas.

C'mon, LJW sports editors, show your journalistic objectivity and standardize the usage of Baja Kansas University in place of the University of North Carolina. Strike a blow for your own journalistic traditions and independence.

Tom Keegan, I'm calling you out in particular.

I can tell you are feeling your oats this time of year.

You've written some good stories recently.

I promise you this: if you write a story announcing the decision to standardize Baja Kansas University, or Baja KU, for the University of North Carolina, you will bump your clicks substantially.

You hear that The World Corporation?

In this increasingly normalized economic recession, Tom Keegan can boost clicks for ad revenues sharply and suddenly simply by standardizing Baja Kansas University in place of the University of North Carolina.

Baja Kansas Universtiy makes fiscal sense.

Baja Kansas University is more efficient.

Baja Kansas University adds clarity.

And most important of all (drum roll please)...

Baja Kansas University is consistent with the LJW editorial tradition regarding standardizing names not preferred by universities.

Rock Chalk, boys!

Strike a blow for pixel burned wretches everywhere.

Stop calling UNC the University of North Carolina.

Start calling UNC Baja Kansas University.

Its the right thing to do.

And your ad revenues will spike!

Ch-ching!

thedynamiteofhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm in. I'm considering changing my name, too. See: Name. :^)

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate

I am totally ignorant to the Baja KU reference. I have seen you use this description many times before and I have always been curious to its meaning. Could you please explain for the uninformed masses? Please and thank you

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Zig,

After years of UNC knobs telling us that KU would be nothing without the largesse of UNC sending us Larry and Roy, it hit me like a laser beam.

They have it backwards.

UNC would be nothing without KU.

The only reason anyone has ever heard of them in the modern era is because Dean put them back on the map after UNC was tarnished by Frank McGuire's underground railroad from NYC. Dean took over and really built UNC into what we think of today as a respectable program.

Probably half of UNC's wins come compliments of Dean, who was trained at KU, and Roy, who learned how to be a head coach at KU.

Imagine what UNC would amount to without Dean and Roy. They would be another NC State, or Virginia, or Florida State, or what have you. Nothing.

So: I began to refer to UNC as Baja KU, because UNC is really nothing at all in the modern era without KU trained coaches.

Even Bill Guthridge, Dean's assistant, was a KSU guy.

And most of Roy's assistants are KU guys.

Take my word for it, Zig, UNC is KU's little sister, not its big brother.

okiedave 8 years, 9 months ago

In Norman last Saturday, the attendance was 8,000. 1/2 or 4,000 were KU fans. The Tulsa World reports that the security personel looked outside of the arena before unlocking the doors and remarked, "there is a sea of blue out there".

It is good to be a Jayhawk.

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Love the honesty of the free press. In some locations that "sea of blue" remark might never have made it to print. And, love the Jayhawk Nation's persistence in following the team to wherever they play. Proud to be a Jayhawk!!!!

Thanks, okiedave, for the heads up on the press reportage. Too many places to keep track of without help from our fellow posters. What's the old saying? "Too many women. Not enough time."

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Postscript: Should have added: That sea of blue was an omen that OU's team and fans would be feeling a sea of blue at the end of the game against KU.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Yea, I was there. Went to the little boy's room at halftime because Nature was calling and overheard a Sooner fan say, "Yea, there are a lot of KU Fans here, including my wife!" LOL. Bummer, bubba!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

"Some Ways You Know Ohio State Should Not Be Number One"

~Trail of unmarked bills scattering behind Matta whereever he goes.

~Cleveland Vinnie keeps saying in an FBI tape, "Da boys wants you should be number one goin' into the tournament soze they can make a big kill when I finally tells ya ta take the dive.

~The ghost of Woody Hayes keeps coming into the visiting locker room at half time and slapping which ever opposing player is hottest.

~When Fred Taylor can be heard laughing in heaven and saying, "I'm a Buckeye to the quick and even I know Self and KU would kick Thad Matta and that Buckeye team's butts."

~Ohio State players have tripped and fallen at least twice in each game this season, while trying to walk and chew gum.

~CBS' Clark Kellog was overheard saying of the Ohio State players, "These guys make me sound like flippin' Shakespeare!"

~Dick Vitale overheard saying, "I know Ohio State can't beat Kansas, but the guys said they would break my fingers if I didn't pick KU to finish 5th in the B12. Just think what they would do, if I told the truth about KU now?! It would be a zinc acid bath for Dickie Veeeee, baby!"

~Jay Bilas overheard saying, "All KU has to do to get picked number one is triple the population of the state."

~Thad Matta has copied Self Ball top to bottom, including even the weave, but he can't copy Self's ability to improvise during the game."

~Thad Matta's real name is Count Vlad Matta and he is a basketball vampire from Albania, who can only coach dawn to dusk, not dusk to dawn. He has a doppelganger that fills in for him during day games. OSU gets upset during day games, which means it will get knocked off once more before the Madness starts, which will not happen to KU.

~Tom Keegan wants the sports editor job with the Columbus paper so bad he can taste it.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Kurt Eskilson 8 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate: Am I living a scene from Dark City, or has the past been altered? Looking back on previous threads, I no longer seen any sign of 12Troll or any of your subsequent beatdowns. Has "theend" been vanished as well?

kthawk 8 years, 9 months ago

12 steps was removed last night for abusive content.

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

Remarkable forbearance, waiting this long . . .

kthawk 8 years, 9 months ago

12 steps was removed last night for abusive content.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 9 months ago

This is why ill now only refer to jaybate as el matador de trolls. A few intellectual beatdowns and they disappear.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

I should make a clarification. I'm just pulling people's legs about Tom wanting a job in Columbus. He's probably quite happy at the LJW, but the game of professional journalism is kept score at the pay stub. Ya gotta go where the dollars are.

Jeremy Caudle 8 years, 9 months ago

KU fans are ALL over the world. I met a guy a couple days ago with a Chalmers jersey here in Freetown, Sierra Leone! And he knew the school and name that went with the jersey!! RCJH

Doug Fogleman 8 years, 9 months ago

If Tyrel would dunk on Senior Night they would have to put a new roof on the AFH.

Thanks for four great years Tyrel.

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 9 months ago

Reed has come such a long way in his 4 years.

Couldn't be more proud of a Jayhawk!

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I can remember quite a few posts chiding Coach Self for "wasting" a scholarship two years in a row on a couple of native Kansans . . . do you suppose some kids in Wichita and other towns across the state will be listening at halftime?

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

What I hope most is that Brady and Tyrel have:

a) broken down some of the simplistic assumptions about what basketball players are supposed to look like; and

b) in breaking down those simplistic assumptions, they have educated our fans to just how much glue men like Russell Robinson were doing for our teams while others were gettting the impact glory.

Looking back now, I am not sure RR ever got the credit he deserved, because being a "long and athletic" African-American, many persons probably saw him as an impact player who didn't shoot, rather than what he became, perhaps our greatest glue man ever.

Persons look at Brady and Tyrel and see "white shooters" instead of great glue men.

Persons looked at RR and saw "long and athletic" instead of a great glue man.

We simply must as a society get away from these tendencies to see persons in terms of their skin pigments and body morphologies and start looking at the roles they perform and how they perform them.

RR, Brady and Tyrel have each brought their special imprint on the way glue is given to a team, based on differing athletic abilities and psychological tendencies they brought to the floor.

We could add Tyshawn to this mix for last season he played a glue 2, and for extended stretches in many games TT was playing a glue 1.

Think of the differences in temperment, body morphology, skin color, personality, quickness of hands, speed, strength, bounce, and yet all of these players had the ability to give glue. Brady seemed to take to glue like a fish to water. Tyrel seemed to come to it more slowly as it took his body longer to mature. RR seemed to be the glue man most capable of locking down and disrupting. TT seemed to struggle the most with the role, but then he became remarkably able at it also.

Please, people, think about these four very different glue players, when next season roles around and the returning players and the recruits show up and are assigned glue roles by Coach Self. Glue is not color driven. It is athleticism and skill driven and you have to be a great athlete to do it. You just have to be a different kind of an athlete than a great impact player.

Please let RR and TT be the last African American glue men to be misunderstood as long and athletic players that can't shoot.

Please let Brady and Tyrel be the last Caucasian American glue men to be misunderstood as "white shooters."

These are wonderful athletes doing amazing things as glue.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 9 months ago

Some random thoughts: 1. Where is soobawls? Hate to say it, but I miss that little rain cloud. 2. On the senior class award and all that voting .. I don't care. Really don't. On-line voting is only 1/3 of the vote. I do appreciate all of the reminders to vote, and I feel guilty if I don't, so I do. 3. March 1 just makes me feel better .. about everything. Winter is disappearing and the chance for KU basketball immortality is on the horizon, just there for the taking. 4. Have to give it up to Blownjay for his "I have a dream" post, predicting Texas' downfall based upon an actual dream. 5. Having a hard time getting young lady in the loose red Jayhawks shirt behind Knight in the Ok. State game out of my mind. 6. Wonder what Self's defensive gameplan will be if we play Texas, and whether .. if fully healthy .. Releford will draw that assignment with some extra minutes off the bench. And if not Releford, then who? 7. I have no concerns about MU Saturday .. unless TT is back and he starts. Though I've predicted that game as his return as a starter, and tomorrow night as his return to the floor, I hope I'm wrong. The MU game is not right game to start TT. But he'd be great off the bench. Perfect time to get EJ more seasoned for bigger things. 8. Reiterating a prediction .. Duke will be the 1 or the 2 in the same region as SDSU or BYU .. add Notre Dame to that mix. 9. Marcus goes for 25 vs. MU Saturday. 10. I hate the constant contemplation of recruiting .. but this is the most concerned I have ever been. I've never heard even one possible, reasonable solution. If Marcus and Kieff go pro, we're left with just TRob (great) and Withey (just ok); and a walkon -- Wesley .. at the 4 and 5 spots. One suggestion I heard is that Self "knows" either Marcus, Kieff, or both will be back. Hope so. 11. I continue to wonder why Self, defensively, is not more aggressive with doubling certain weaker players in the post to create turnovers. We seem to resort to the double team only agains the better player, or bigger player, that starts to hurt us. The random double is a great psychological weapon, too. 12. Hoping that Releford can pry some minutes here .. but I'm beginning to think his p.t. will be very limited the rest of the way. Too bad. 13. EJ .. EJ .. really, really rooting for the guy to continue the solid play. 14. Really, really need to watch Brady's shooting over the next two weeks. If his shooting slips, we're in trouble .. because we know Self will play him 30+ regardless. And to revisit the Brady debate, without his good three ball, he is not worthy of 30+ minutes. Let's hope he keeps it up. 15. Ohio St. deserves to be #1. I think they are an excellent match-up for us. There is not a top team I think we match-up poorly against. Teams likely not to be a 1 or 2 seed that I don't want in our regional, version 1.0 .. Arizona, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Alabama, St. John's.

RCJH

okiedave 8 years, 9 months ago

My concern with Mizzou on Saturday is heightened by the fact that Missou appears to be going down at Nebraska tonight. They will be desperate on Saturday.

brooksmd 8 years, 9 months ago

If somebody will post the link for the photo of the UT coed behind the KU bench last year, thought #5 will go up in a cloud of smoke?

And now that NU has beaten Mizzery, I fear we will have our hands full Saturday in Columbia. Just need to take care of business against A&M.

brooksmd 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh my! Arielle. What girl in the red t-shirt behind Bobby Knight's right shoulder?

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Agree on soo.

Young lady. Loose red J shirt. Spring. Ah, the sap runs yet again.

Re recruiting: some big just came unstuck today somewhere and is now talking UK and KU. I suspect one more will unstick if both Twins jump. My big concern is that none of the unsticks are apt to be true 5s, which I am still fond of having. This team will be very luck if it does not run into a true 5 in the Madness. Its good to have one, as we had Kaun, and Cole. A true 5 is a piece of the puzzle of most champions--either a 30 minute piece, or a 15 minute piece.

Re EJ: I don't know why, but I feel EJ has not only come out of his slump, but I feel he has had one of the breakthroughs that come a couple of times in a 4 year career. He looks like his brain and body are finally on the same page. Last year he grew too much for his brain. Till December, it seemed like his brain was growing too fast for his body. In January brain and body converged and his PT started to creep up. But then he hit the wall, or slumped in late January and a tail spin started that seemed to let up just a bit in the game before he started, despite the last cross court pass to no one. Then everything broke right for him in the start. Mind and body were together. I can't put my finger on it, but I think he's here to stay. He will crack a time or two as the competition intensifies, but with Tyshawn to plug the gap and buy him 5 minutes to compose himself, Elijah will not have to go through the crucible of playing through disaster till next year. Next year is still his big year. Its the year, when if he beats the competition in practice in pre season (and Tyshawn, and Selby will be formidable competition), then Self will make him play through his horrible games and experience the pressure of trying to find a way to win when nothing is working. Self likely will protect him from that with Tyshawn this season.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Regarding Brady, I have seen signs of his shot slipping out of its groove the last two games. This could go either way. He's had his big slump for the season. But 3-4 game slumps happen, too. We have to hope he slumps now and one game in the conference tourney, then finishes strong in conference tourney and in the Madness. I agree that we need him clicking for this team to be the best it can be. But Self has more 3-ball options now with EJ playing soundly. With EJ playing soundly at the 1 and shooting the trey well, Self can afford Tyshawn, Little, or Releford at the 3 more often, when Brady struggles. Many have wanted to see EJ, TT and Selby together, and with EJ and Selby having warm nights, Self could easily go with TT at the 2 to rest Tyrel.

Selby is the big question mark in all of this. This team transforms when he is healthy and playing well. It becomes phenomenally hard for teams to control him and the bigs when he is smokin' at the wing point. But Selby's ankle has to be feeling a lot better for him to have this effect against a top team with a good three. Frankly, unless Selby is almost well, a top team with a good 3 can stop him dead. I have a feeling Selby is not getting better and that he is destined, at most, for a kind of Kirk Gibson/LA Dodgers kind of moment in the tournament. He'll do something spectacular at a big moment in a big game, but most of the time he's mostly going to be a decoy.

Regarding infrequent doubling, I worry about that too. Its hard to keep the rust off a scheme, if you don't use it frequently. My best guess is that Self thinks most of the time they don't need it, so he doesn't use it. But he also thinks the Twins and TRob have enough experience now that if he has them practice it for a couple of days before a game where he intends to double, that they can get back to speed quickly. It is the luxury of working with experienced bigs.

I'm also a little uneasy about how long its been since we've seen that 1-2-2 zone press. But I'm guessing that here again he feels he is working with experienced perimeter players in Tyrel, TT, and Brady, and a talented defender in Elijah, and he wants to keep the 1-2-2 for a surprise defense. I suspect we will see him roll it out for one game maybe from the beginning of a game to get a jump on a team he expects to give KU a lot of trouble.

Anyway, good to read your take and hurry spring!