Tuesday, June 28, 2011

‘88 teammates helping Cole Aldrich at camp

Gueldner wages successful battle against cancer

Oklahoma City thunder center and former jayhawk cole aldrich talks to youngsters at his camp on Monday, June 27, 2011 in Olathe.

photo

Jeff Gueldner at the Cole Aldrich camp.

photo

Mark Randall at Cole Aldrich's camp.

— Former Kansas University basketball player Jeff Gueldner teamed with his college roommate, Mark Randall, in a three-day member/guest golf tournament last week.

How’d the 42-year-old Gueldner play?

“Poorly,” Gueldner, the 6-foot-5, sweet-shooting member of KU’s 1988 NCAA championship team, said with a smile. “I’ve not exactly gotten back to where I was. It (golf) hasn’t been a real focus of mine.”

Gueldner — who is helping coach more than 100 youths at this week’s Cole Aldrich Basketball Camp at Olathe Northwest High — should see his handicap drop consistently as the summer progresses.

He’s well into a successful comeback from Feb. 25, 2010, cancer surgery and resulting radiation and chemotherapy treatments that — according to five scans — have him cancer-free.

“I had squamous cell carsinoma in my neck, a little lump in my neck,” Gueldner said. “It was in between Stage 3 and Stage 4 with some spreading.

“The good part of this cancer in your neck is you see the lump. The downside is it’s rough treatment that affects everything going on with your salivary glands, your tongue, everything. The radiation really beats down on you.

“It’s been a battle. It could be a lot worse. I’m still standing upright. I’ve gotten most of the weight back I want to get back. I’m starting to feel good,” added the 180-pounder.

“With cancer, it’s always a five-year deal. So far, so good.”

Gueldner, who had 72 staples in his neck following his cancer surgery, serves as an inspiration to both former KU forward Randall, community relations director for the Denver Nuggets, and Oklahoma City Thunder/former KU center Aldrich.

“I respect him ... for sure,” Aldrich said. “He’s a guy that was, I guess, you could say on his ‘lifebed,’ never knowing if he’d see his (three) daughters again. Coming back from that shows how strong a person he is.”

Noted Randall, who is also working the camp: “Jeff had a little scare with cancer. Everything’s good with him. It’s been great to spend time with him. He’s been through a lot. He’s had several tests done. He’s good.”

Gueldner, who owns a used-car dealership in Olathe, was a natural to help Aldrich run his first camp.

“He’s been great to me for a few years of just seeing him around, saying hi and whatnot,” Aldrich said. “The past few years we’ve had a really good relationship with each other. He’s done camps before. He’s helped this camp a lot. I don’t know if I could do it without him. I’m just learning.”

Gueldner — he has worked in advertising, the cell-phone business, real estate and even the collegiate-flag business — also knows his basketball.

“Cole came to me a couple months ago with the idea of putting the camp together and wanted some help. Obviously I live in the area and know people around the school and people around here. I thought it’d be fun. Cole is a good guy. I wouldn’t say it to him personally, but he’s a good guy,” Gueldner cracked.

Cole’s career

Gueldner and Randall are in agreement that Aldrich, who played sparingly his rookie year in OKC, can be a successful pro.

“The downside of getting drafted by a team with a playoff-caliber roster is you are not going to get the minutes,” Gueldner said. “You have to put the time in and understand it’s a job, and it’s a marathon. He has a great attitude and works hard. He understands it’s a business. He’s going to do what they pay him to do.”

“His potential is unbelievable,” said former NBA player Randall. “Cole didn’t play much this year, obviously he did in the D-League (with Tulsa). He kept his attitude positive. I got to see him working out with some of the big boys (before playoff games against the Nuggets). He was doing great things. He has unlimited upside.”

Comments

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

I walked on to the hill with these two, and met both of them multiple times. They both seemed like really nice guys. Thanks for the update on how they're doing!

Steve Tramba 3 years, 4 months ago

Awesome for Gueldner! He was & I think still is my mom's favorite player, and to me he's an inspiration as a fellow cancer survivor. While mine was testicular in nature, I can relate to the radiation impact on the area treated. I'm only 5 months into my 5 year plan, but the miracles of modern science are going to give both Jeff & I a chance to resume living long, healthy, normal lives as we continuing rooting on our beloved Jayhawks!

Great article Gary - thanks!

knightmare34 3 years, 4 months ago

Great to hear that Jeff is doing well. I've been there, and you just have to keep fighting. Keep it up!

BTW, Gary, it's "carcinoma."

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 4 months ago

The Thunder exercised their option on Cole's contract today.

Eric Bernauer 3 years, 4 months ago

BTW, Gary, it's "carcinoma."

Uh, no, cancer is the correct terminology. Carcinoma is an early stage of cancer defined by a lack of spread of the dysplastic tissue. Jeff states he had between Stage III and Stage IV which by definition means he had spreading into adjacent tissues such as bone or lymph nodes. He had cancer I'm sure the hope of all of us is that his cancer will be in the past tense.

AZHawk81 3 years, 4 months ago

I think knightmare34 was referring to the spelling of the word from the quote “I had squamous cell carsinoma in my neck, a little lump in my neck.” It is always good to see a person like Jeff Gueldner beat cancer.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

Great guys...plus a hiring of Greg Gurley. Add a mention of Greg Dreiling and you will have some of my all-time favorites from that era. AND of course D Manning...

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Nick Collison and Perkins are getting old. Aldrich will soon be able to pass the skill level of Ibaka and will be one of OKC's prime players.

Also its glad to see that Randall and Gueldner are doing well.

Ed Brown 3 years, 4 months ago

Buster Douglas had the same cancer as did Michael Douglas, Babe Ruth, Humphry Bogart, Jim Thorpe, Bruce Paltrow (Gwyneth's father and creator of St Elsewhere), Grover Cleveland, Ulyses Grant, plus a host of others. One person dies every hour of every day from Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. An important thing to know is that if you have a sore in the mouth/oral cavity that does not resolve in 3 weeks please get it checked. Many dental hygienists find the cancer early. Early detection can mean the difference between 90% and 25% five year survival rate.

I battled Stage IV back in 2003 so I got to learn a bit about it. Alarmingly HPV strains 16 and 18 that are responsible for as much as 85% of the cervical cancer in women is also directly linked to the same cancer. Vaccines are available for females primarily but now being approved for males. Great treatments like SBRT real-time 3D radiation are available that can treat early stages with minimal collateral damage.

Just getting a plug in for early detection!

RCJH