Sunday, June 26, 2011

Josh Selby lectured about maturity by Grizzlies coach and executives

Former Kansas University combo guard Josh Selby met with Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and several team executives before addressing the media Friday afternoon at FedExForum.

According to the Memphis Commercial-Appeal, the Grizzlies’ second-round draft pick was lectured about “the need for his maturity to match his talent.”

“He says he’s not cocky. Well, I beg to differ,” Grizzlies assistant general manager Kenny Williamson told the Commercial-Appeal. “All players have egos. It’s how you carry it. And maybe he carried it a little differently. But right now, after talking to him, he’s been humbled.”

Noted coach Hollins: “He just has to come in and play to his talent level. If he plays to his ranking out of high school, he’ll make the team. But he obviously has to bring it from an off-the-court perspective. He may be immature, but if he’s willing to work and grow, I’ll have no problem. We’re about professionalism and about playing hard. He doesn’t seem like a guy who doesn’t compete. That won’t be an issue.”

Selby, who missed the first nine games of the 2010-11 season because of an NCAA suspension and later was slowed by a foot injury en route to averaging 7.9 points and 2.2 assists per game, told the Baltimore Sun he was “very surprised” to have been taken by Memphis at No. 49 overall.

“I didn’t have any contact with them (before draft),” said Selby.

As to why Selby waited so long for his name to be called, there were rumors that he had not fully recovered from the foot injury he sustained at KU and also possibly had weak knees to go with character concerns.

“I don’t know what happened, and I don’t really know why I slipped so far,” Selby told his hometown Baltimore Sun. “I don’t really want to get into that anymore. I was just happy to have my name called, and now I’m just going to make the best of my situation.”

Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said KU coach Bill Self gave Selby a glowing recommendation, while Grizzlies team doctors said the 6-3 guard is completely healthy.

Former NBA player/Baltimore native Sam Cassell, who played for assistant GM Williamson at Florida State, also spoke highly of Selby to Grizzlies officials.

“Sam believes he’s a good kid, and that he’s a gym rat,” Williamson told the Sun. “He believes Josh will come in here and work. I trust Sam, so until he proves otherwise, that’s what I’m going to go with. Perception is a heck of a thing. You know how they say possession is 9/10ths of the law? Well, perception is 9/10ths of reality. I believe the kid has been miscast.”

Jayhawks on Grizzlies: Selby joins former KU players Darrell Arthur and Xavier Henry on the Grizzlies’ roster. The Baltimore Sun also points out the Memphis team has a distinctive Maryland flavor. Rudy Gay, like Selby, is a native of Baltimore. Greivis Vasquez played four years at Maryland, while Sam Young won two Maryland state championships at Friendly High in Prince George’s County.

Marcus compares himself to Melo: The Houston Chronicle mentioned Saturday that Rockets’ first-round draft pick Marcus Morris of KU has compared himself to New York Knicks’ phenom Carmelo Anthony, “because I’m a midrange king.”

On Friday at his introductory news conference, Morris cracked: “I’m not going to take after him on the defensive side.”

Hearing that, new Rockets coach Kevin McHale warned Morris: “They have TVs all over,” the implication that Anthony might hear the rookie's comments about his defense on the tube.

Markieff on his shooting range: The Arizona Republic newspaper on Saturday pointed out that first-round Phoenix Suns draft pick Markieff Morris of KU hit 25 of 59 threes last season, not bad for a 6-foot-10 player.

“I had to change my shot a little bit,” Morris told the paper. “I had to shoot higher, I (had been) shooting more direct. And I was just getting older and having the green light to shoot the three.”

Asked about his toughness, Morris credited mom, Angel.

“She made me tough,” Markieff told the paper. “Growing up in Philly, it was tough, and that’s one thing I’ll always remember, where I’m from.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 2 months ago

Had enough Selby talk to last me for a while!!!

Wonder why nobody has picked up on the heat getting a guard. Could Mario possibly be looking to leave and get paid somewhere else?

Krohnutz 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, a couple things are possible here:

1. The Heat fear that Chalmers will get a sizable offer from another team that they cannot afford to match.

2. They intend to keep Chalmers, and dump Mike Bibby (who turned out to be a liability on the court).

I can see either (or both, really) situation be their reasoning for drafting a point guard. The Heat did exercise their option on Chalmers, meaning he is restricted. So if they intend to let him go, they surely intend to make other teams pay for it.

My gut says they keep him, and cut ties with Mike Bibby.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope he leaves for more money and another team who actually has a real coach with a plan other than, lets give it to one of my stars and see what happens.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 2 months ago

Mario Chalmers to Indiana! They sure could use a 2 guard.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 2 months ago

I think Krohnutz got it covered..but I think he wants to stay in Miami.

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

Different kids, Different Coach, Different Era.

I think Bill Wants them to have a certain Swagger, and that swagger has paid dividends.... It got him a ring didn't it.

The times are hurting Roy too, mind you, Larry Drew leaving ( good riddenance ) and the Wear boys too... Matt Daughtery's Kids in 2005 were a bunch of Trash talkin' fools..... and Roy tolerated it, also. If all was so kodachrome in your memory, then Roy's dealing with the Stark digital world that Self's in.....

I think for the most part Self's kids DO rep correctly, and I think they should be given the chance to prove their maturity... Even Brady at age 42, was caught operating a vehicle under influence....

I don't think you need to be ripped, but I would point out, Wilt Chamberlain wasn't exactly a saint either..... Perhaps you are wearing tinted lens when you look at the kids of today in comparison to the kids of yesterday.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

wayward, I'm not disagreeing with you, but just wanted to point out the obvious - Wilt was not a saint, but, whatever talking he may have done he could back up on the court.

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

This is by no sense Wilt bashing... just a reminder that throwing stones, one should make sure they are their house isn't entirely made of windows.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

wayward, I did not take your comment as Wilt bashing. I was just saying the IF Wilt was talking the talk - he could sure walk the walk!!

Kirk 3 years, 2 months ago

"Wilt Chamberlain wasn't exactly a saint either" -- What are you referring to? His 20K claim many years later?

As a college student, Wilt WAS pretty much a "saint" in the sense you mean. Attended class, participated in lots of extracurricular activities (e.g.,"flippin' with the dipper".)

Otherwise please do enlighten us

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

Are you serious Kirk.... certainly his claim to 20k Wasn't started after College.... he was also known as a talker on the court.... The above mentioned post made him sound like Jeff Gueldner.... but then again.... Some people cannot look objectively at the players they are fans of.... Again it's not meant as a knock on Wilt, Were he here in front of us, Do You think he would disagree with anything I have said ?

jamsim3 3 years, 2 months ago

How about going back to the good 'ol days with the knee high socks and the speedo trunks as well. While we are pining for the good 'ol days let's just have one black guy per team and he has to stay in separate housing and cannot eat with his teammates. Yea those good 'ol days just give me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. Right!!

CRJayhawk12 3 years, 2 months ago

Playing the race card? Really? You can't be serious.

While the vast majority of KU fans loved and supported the Morris twins, think about this; if all of the things that happened to the KU players (the public trash-talking, fights w/ the football team, in-game technicals and elbows, fight w/ a girlfriend) happened to MU players, KU fans would have said "well, this is just the typical trash and scumbag players that MU typically recruits."

But since these guys are KU players, we turn a deaf ear, talk about how the players are "maturing," and support them 100%.

This is about content of character (which has been questionable for some KU players as of recent), not skin color or prejudice. Get real.

jamsim3 3 years, 2 months ago

Playing the race card is a term invented by those who would trivialize the issue of race and it's suffocating ramifications in this country. CR Jayhawk12 you are naive enough to believe it has no place in this conversation but those who have suffered by its perpetuation know it's always an issue even in KU basketball. Who are you to get on a message board and denigrate someones character without even knowing the person. If you were to read only this message board you would come away with a perception that most KU fans are racist just from the players they have chosen to criticize on the various articles printed here. I have been a long time supporter of KU and it's programs and I know most KU fans are not racist. That's why your, " Playing the race card? Really?" is just a weak kneed attempt to change the subject. I guess you are too young to really know the times I mentioned truly exist and we ain't done with them yet even if they don't effect you.

bstew34864 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, here we go...Another apologist for people who make stupid comments and race centered statements. Yeah, CRJayhawk12 none of the comments posted in this forum ever hint at race. But, isn't it funny how most negative comments are most often directed at black players? You know I never heard Brady Morningstar called a "thug" when he was caught for drunk driving. The Morris twins brought toughness and confidence to the Jayhwk basketball team. And because of that they will always be my favorite jayhawk players.

By the way, all of the greatest players were great trash talkers..aka Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, and Majic Johnson. Maybe if Hinrich and Collison talked a little more trash their careers would be as distinguished as their talent level. Being humble don't get you jack..

If you want humble, apple pie, and cheverolet then bring back good ol' Roy so he can spit in the river and do his patented "aww shucks" routine. And we jayhawk fans continue not to win national championships.

tdub 3 years, 2 months ago

You're right about one thing: Brady Morningstar IS a thug.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 2 months ago

That's not what chamberlain meant, at least the way I read it.

tis4tim 3 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes the only difference between a "class kid" and a "cocky punk type" in the eyes of fans and the media is the fact that one got caught doing something he should not have done and the other didn't.

And I'd submit that just because you claim to be able to determine a player's psyche by way of game face analysis (and maybe phrenology too?), it doesn't make it so.

AverageCitizen 3 years, 2 months ago

Ha, Ha........he said game face analysis and phrenology! Bravo!

lace2b4 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you on that! I don't feel like the team chemistry has been there in the last couple of years. I see more of a "me" mentality with some of the players that are coming to Kansas. Don't get me wrong, I think that Bill Self recruits great players, but great players do not always understand how to build the team chemistry that championship teams must have to be successful. I too miss the days of players that were willing to sacrifice their bodies and lay it on the line without talking too much trash. While I enjoyed watching the team play last season, I did not necessarily like the way that the players carried themselves on and off the court. I really think that recruiting non 5 star guys will strengthen the program, because as Merv Lindsay said, "The difference between me and maybe some top-ranked recruits ... I don’t feel like Kansas should be happy to have me. I’m happy to be there." In my opinion, those are the type of players that will make us more classy and they will hopefully stick around!

milehighhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Dang! Hoosiers must have been on TV recently and I missed it.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

Ralster,

So you are saying that kids have to mature during the ages of 18-22? You mention glass houses? Ok, let's discuss some of the players in more detail shall we? Collins got in trouble while here for flashing girls on campus, the Morris twins got in a fight with the football team, got more technicals during their careers because of unsportsmanlike conduct, Taylor got in a fight with the football team, had his Facebook account taken away(you have to be doing some stupid crap to lose that, seriously). Morningstar gets suspended for half a season for a DUI, Little beats up his girlfriend so I can understand where Chamberlain is coming from. So, instead of a glass house maybe it is opening our eyes more and realizing that these kids do have to be better than the rest of us because they are in the public eye. They have different expectations and better be ready for it.

AverageCitizen 3 years, 2 months ago

baldjedi- I'm not against emphasizing good behavior but lets be real AND accurate. I don't like exaggeration any more than the incidents you complain about.

1. Collins did not get in trouble. The court case was dropped and there was no evidence to support the ALLEGATION that was made by one woman, NOT girls (plural) like you wrote.

2. The Morris twins did not get in a fight with the football team - that's 100+ people. There was one ALLEGATION against ONE twin about a shove of one football player but the investigation resulted in no findings that it was true or any charges. No one was hurt.

3. Taylor did not get into a fight with the whole football team. He exchanged words with one player over a girl. OMG! He tried but failed to connect on a football player. That was not good behavior and he was called out on it. He was disciplined by Self, too. The right call.

4. Little did NOT beat up his girlfriend, he pushed/shoved her against the sink. This was definitely not okay but is a far cried from beating her up. It also happens all over campus all school year. He paid for it through court and Self's discipline.

5. Morningstar's DUI was the worst of all the charges against the team because drunk driving can kill. Both the legal system and Self gave him sanctions. But, most people criticize him far less than the above players. He's usually not mentioned when you hear slams on the players behavior. Why? The behaviors you don't like about the rest of the team (stupid facebook comments and arguments between athletes) are far more common for a college student and far less dangerous than a DUI.

I am not condoning these activities but quit acting like all the rumors were true, they involved everybody and that they were serious crimes.

Let's just say I am ready for some quiet types with good grades to play for KU. You know, the quiet Mario type that most people didn't know was cocky. By all accounts several players in our new crop are just what we want.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

I read lots of information and I also know people in the athletic department so I get more than a paper does. if you really think AvgCitizen gives all the right information you are kidding yourself. Papers and what not still don't get all the facts.

I am not blind and am aware we won't always get choir boys, but I am read for less drama on the team. I never mentioned smack talk because I know that happens. The technicals and other behaviors were and issue for me so before you give me crap make sure you read my comments. I am not here to start arguments, but I guess I did. Point is I am hoping we have guys that create less drama.

chriz 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you on that, Chamberlain. Look at Duke.

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

No "rip" intended, I think I know where you're coming from. I am all for recruiting classy performers and hard workers, but you've referenced a lot of Roy's boys. One must keep in mind that there have been dark spots in every recruiting campaign involving scandal and misbehavior. I tried making the point to some friends that I wished we'd get back to recruiting like Roy did...and realized we're in pretty much the exact same boat when my friends starting listing off player after player that beat up a girlfriend, was caught on campus with drugs, questionable recruiting methods involved, etc. in Roy's recruit list. People need to remember we had some classy guys (Tyrel Reed as a shining example) on last season's team too, and Self's not going to eliminate personal character as a vet option bringing in his recruits.

jhawkr 3 years, 2 months ago

Selby said “I don’t know what happened, and I don’t really know why I slipped so far" ...................

See that is part of the maturity process Josh. It's not how good you think you are or what your HS ranking was. It's what have you done lately that matters !

Hopefully the Grizzlies truly gave Josh a wake-up call. Sounds like he needed it and needs to get past listening to those telling him how good he is/was and get to work in the gym and bring it to the NBA level. Otherwise the D-League could be a real humbling experience and a most likely long road.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't think you're totally off base Chamberlain, although I don't think you're being fair to Selby. He wasn't involved in most of that stuff, and I've never understood all the people that rip him for having a bad attitude. He seemed to have a fine attitude to me, he just didn't play up to his potential, and I think the injury had a lot to do with that.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what to make of the Morii. I'm rooting for Marcus, but apparently he hasn't learned anything from the dumb trash talk before the VCU game. It might be nice if he would actually play a few games in the NBA before publicly ragging on one of its biggest stars.

I'm not sure whether I would rather have all class characters over Final Fours, but I still hold out hope for having both.

David Hodges 3 years, 2 months ago

Realism on a Sunday... +1 Rock Chalk!

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

So let me clearify.... You mean our team was also failed by rather unflashy players like Tyrel Reed, and Brady Morningstar.... As well as More flashy players like Connor Teahan, and extremely flashy players like Selby ? :)

Benjamin Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

Jamie Skeen was the game's leading scorer w/ 26 pts. Marcus had 20. Marcus went 0-3 from three-point land and 4-8 from the line, so, while he did have a good game, he left points on the table.

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

Lionel Hollins is a good coach for Selby.

He wouldn't put up with Crap From Zach Randolph, and he certainly won't put with it from Selby.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree.

Why the continued hatred for Josh? It is way over the top and uncalled for. He gave what he could to KU and has nothing but good things to say. In return he gets kicked in the teeth? Shameful.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 2 months ago

+1 As njjayhawk states, these "so called" editorials are being picked up by the national media and the overkill does adversely affect our image and recruiting. LJW really should do some serious soul searching regarding whether it wants to continue to report at this level.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 2 months ago

BTW, Thomas Robinson is attending the Amare Skills Academy!

jamsim3 3 years, 2 months ago

I would have to second your emotions njjayhawk. I am stunned by all the criticism of Josh and his decision to leave KU after a rather unproductive stopover at KU. His injury kept him from performing at a level that obviously a lot of NBA players feel he can reach with some good coaching and mentoring. He was just a kid at KU and I wonder and a lot of other folks are wondering why K. Irving was so successful at Duke when he went through a similar year. I wonder if the decision by Coach K to trust his point guard with the ball even at a critical time in their schedule might have helped K Irvings attitude. Compare that decision with Coach Self's decision to have Josh play behind guards that Josh knew and everyone else knew he was clearly the better player. I believe that decision was a catalyst for Josh's sometimes uninspired play along with a foot injury which kept him from performing at a level he knows he needed to help his team. I have never heard Josh say one bad word about KU and it is my wish folks would give him some room to grow, unfortunately at the next level.

David Hodges 3 years, 2 months ago

Try a 9 game suspension at the start of the year. Just because they are similar does not mean they are the same. Lets not compare apples to oranges.

kureader 3 years, 2 months ago

njjayhawk, I have to agree with you.

Writing negative articles about KU and KU athletes is a regular occurence with a couple of the LJW writers. Apparently they think that controversial or negative writing generates more readers. I also think it's kind of a lazy way to produce articles. It takes alot more work to research a topic and write a good story than it does to bash someone.

Fortunately, Tait and a few others write constructive and informative stuff. They make LJW worth reading. Many of the bloggers on this site are incredibly knowledgable as well, as bloggers go. I sometimes learn more from the bloggers than from the sportswriters.

Hopefully, LJW will read your feedback and move on. It's time to think about next year's team.

brooksmd 3 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm, I don't take it as Josh bashing by LJW as they just reported on the original story and quotes that came from the Memphis paper. Let's wait and see if LJW gives equal coverage on good news stories from Memphis about Josh.

roosey 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow... you have amazing insight into the workings of the journalistic profession, not to mention the recruiting process.

Kirk 3 years, 2 months ago

The article simply reports relevant information. It's not a "slam" on Selby.

His maturity is an issue among people in the biz. That's news.

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

I appreciate where you're coming from nj...you don't want to read about Josh in a negative light. I appreciate that opinion. Keep in mind, the only relevant news flow about Josh right now is that his brand-new GM issued a statement saying he thinks Josh is cocky, and if Josh can back it up (which is what I got out of the article) then he's golden and will make the team. I thought this article set some things straight in a positive light for Josh - that his knees are healthy, contrary to earlier reports, and that instead of being rubber-stamped for D-League, he's got a fighting chance to make the active roster and join the ranks of two other KU alums. I thought this article (other articles Josh-related notwithstanding) was set to illuminate that Josh has a positive perception in his new org, and that he's got to work hard and follow through so that opportunities will come his way. Just my opinion, but I think it can be spun positive - the editorial staff at LJW knows that people will see it the way they want to read it. Please tell me if I'm wrong, and I've missed some overt "Josh-bashing"...but I really don't see anything but the most newsworthy bits floating out there about Josh!

bstew34864 3 years, 2 months ago

Ok, let's just rip Josh some more...Sometimes Jayhawk fans are freakin unbelieveable. This kid is 19, grew up in the slums of Baltimore, saw many of his buddies get killed or incarcerated, and people get on him for being a little "cocky"? Give me a break!. This kid did all that was asked of him. His major infraction? He got hurt. His second major infraction? He wanted to play so badly that he came back before he should have and was never 100%. We all should have kids with that kind of determination.

You clowns who continue to criticize Josh are foolish and are seriously lacking in the required intellectual rigor necessary to be a serious analyst of Jayhawk basketball. The thinly veiled references to race in your criticisms of Josh and the Morris twins is reprehensible. Do you understand that behavior in large part is determined by culture? And culture is in turn largely a result of the respective environment. So, if kids grow up in an urban environment where crime, bad schools, and drugs are the norm. Guess what? They will see the world differently than kids who grow up in the fields of an Iowa farm town. Where everyone knows each other and trust of your neighbor is high.

Do you notice how white kids who grow up in trailer parks exhibit some of the same behavioral and cultural characterisitcs of kids who grow up in the "hood".

The jayhawk critics of these kids are so shortsighted and brain dead it is laughable. For every Josh Selby and Morris twins there are thousands of kids who didn't make it because they were not good enough, didn't grow tall enough, or made one bad decision that is indicative of youth. Unfortunately, when a kid from the "hood" makes one bad choice or decision guess what? It changes the course of his life because his family can't bail him out of jail, or send him to rehab, or pay to place him in some type of academic program that gives him something to channel his energies towards.

Before you criticize Josh and the Morris twins let me know when you cared about a kid from the hood who couldn't make baskets and had nothing to offer except his self.

These kids deserve our respect, admiration, and support. Sure, they say dumb stuff, sometimes do dumb stuff, and believe the dumb hype about themselves. But, for the most part these are good tough kids built out of the same cloth as the Hinrichs, Collisons, and Vaughns. And most importantly of all...They Are Jayhawks!!!

roosey 3 years, 2 months ago

So, what you're saying is, it's ok for a player to receive improper benefits, miss out on all the preseason practices and the first nine games, have like one good game before getting hurt, then leave college after one year (keep in mind he's on a FULL-RIDE scholarship which can help him get an education and get himself out of "the hood" regardless of how his basketball career turns out) even though another year of experience is bound to help him in the future, all because he's from "the hood." But if Kirk Hinrich did that, it'd be different, because he's a farmboy from Iowa and was raised different so he knows better? Saying a kid is cocky or needs to be more mature after acting cocky and immature has nothing to do with race, it has to do with his character. People aren't so much hating on Selby as feeling disappointed that this kid didn't take advantage of the AMAZING opportunities he had at his disposal to be more than just another D-League reject.

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

I didn't hear Josh getting ripped on or bashed during this article - I agree with you - I hear a GM who is telling his subordinate exactly, to a T, what's expected in the Grizzlies org. Why, just a month or two ago, my boss called me in to her office to tell me what's expected of me in no uncertain terms. Now I know what I need to do to earn my paycheck every day. Sounds like me and Josh are in the same boat now. People need to calm down.

kennethterry92 3 years, 2 months ago

I think we need to give Selby a chance to work and prove himself even though his 1 year didn't work out like he and everyone else wanted he was a Jayhawk and he gets my support like all former and current players

KULA 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow, the Rockets/Knicks matchups should be interesting this year...if Marcus even gets into the game.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, I've done more than my fair share of Josh Selby bashing, but Dear God - let's let it go. Even I'm getting tired of all the Selby negativity.

djhawk75 3 years, 2 months ago

I truly wish the best for Selby. And if he does well in the NBA I'd bet that most Jayhawk fans will support him like they would any other former KU players. Further, I don't doubt Selby's character as a person, especially given his age and what he has experienced throughout his short life. Now here comes the BUT: He appears to lack that one quality that is essential for growth in every profession, the willingness to learn and be adaptable to change. The Grizzlies certainly thought so, and that is evident in their comments from this article.

The best thing that happened to Selby was probably that he was drafted by the Grizzlies. Based on what I saw from the Playoffs this organization appears to be one of the best managed in all the major sports. They may be able to bring him around. Other organizations wouldn't bother to try to teach him anything--they would just cut him if he doesn't fit their needs.

tis4tim 3 years, 2 months ago

"Based on what I saw from the Playoffs this organization appears to be one of the best managed in all the major sports."

Careful, this is the same organization who thought bringing in a way-past-his-prime Allen Iverson was a good idea and trading Pau Gasol to the Lakers for next-to-nothing might pay dividends. Fortunately, they have done well despite themselves and they are a team on the rise, but they've got a bit of proving to do.

I agree, however, that Josh has a chance to excel in that environment.

cg1029 3 years, 2 months ago

Chris Wallace is one of the worst GM's in the history of the NBA and has been nothing but a laughing stock for quite some time... The Griz as a franchize have been one of the worst in the NBA for the last 10+ years... I find it strange that they did not workout Josh at any time and everyone that they spoke with gave him a glowing reccomendation but they still feel as though he is immature? I have a feeling that this might not be the best situation for him to have been drafted into...

Sam Constance 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Selby had no interaction with the Grizzlies before they selected him at #49, and they purportedly selected him based on the recommendations of guys like Sam Cassell, who was very complimentary to him.

Yet somehow the Grizzlies management felt the need to take Selby to task for being "immature" (or as Assistant GM WIlliamson said, "cocky") in spite of having had no direct interaction with him. Ironically, that doesn't seem like a very mature way to conduct business, in my opinion.

Selby certainly needs to continue maturing--most 18-year-olds do. I don't really understand where this negative impression of Selby's attitude has come from, because it's mostly off-base. Anyone who listened to his interview on 610 from last Friday's afternoon show should be able to understand that this is not a kid who is "cocky". He's self-assured (as I would want any talented ballplayer to be), but he also says the right things and pays proper tribute to the people who have helped and supported him along the way.

gardenjay 3 years, 2 months ago

One-and-donessss$$$$. Personally, I think KU should just institute a 4-year requirement or a degree requirement and be the first to snub the sort of pro attitude college basketball has copped for what, three decades?

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

I will say I am a bit surprised Memphis too Josh because they are deep in the guard position but I maybe wrong. I am hoping he does get a fair opportunity. I will be curious if they see him as a PG or SG. I think with their depth he has a better shot going for a backup PG role, but shall see.

I don't care to bash him and never have. I always felt he needed to stay to improve his draft stock, but can't change it. I hope he gets a real opportunity to make a team. He showed flashes of brilliance and now for himself I hope he can make good on it.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

Sorry for the type, I am a bit surprised Memphis took Josh. Spell check!

mikehawk 3 years, 2 months ago

The Grizzlies are stockpiled with young players. Josh will have to produce and show something special, or he will be in the D-League next year. Marcus is getting ready to learn just how tough the NBA really is. Once the season starts all of the self promotion talk will burn off quickly because it is all about learning the game and producing over a long season. It is all business. As you watch teams on the NBA, it is all about a few star players and a whole bunch of role players. Darrell Authur on the Grizzlies has a chance to move from strictly role player to something more special if he continues to develop like he has the last two years.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

I hear that some people have complaints, but in another post I mentioned lets compare in 8 years where Selby and where Kyrie Irving are. The draft itself doesn't define the player, it is what they do after the draft. There have been numerous players drafted in the second round that have had solid careers, additionally, and there have been a lot of first round busts. I think Selby will surprise a lot of people, and he will show up come game time.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 2 months ago

Good point. Chalmers was a 2nd rounder, for example. Josh has to really work on his game and hit the gym if he wants to play with the big boys though.

namder 3 years, 2 months ago

If you want only 4 year players then say goodbye to Coach Self because he won't want to or be able to compete nationally with those kind of players. When the Big XII makes it's next readjustment then forget about catching on with a major conference. Bend over and prepare to take it because KSU and MU will use us for heir whipping boys or anything else they would want to use us for.

martyks 3 years, 2 months ago

Just to weigh in here. I know Bill Self. I have talked to him a few times. I love the guy. I do not want to go back to any "good old days" but I do miss one thing that I hope Coach can restore. Before the twins came on the scene, if there was even a hint of an altercation, the Jayhawk player would simply walk away. I remember O trying to shake hands with a kid who dunked over him. I remember Randall walking away from a player who wanted to fight. We just frustrated street fighters with our wholesomeness and still beat them at the end of the day because we were better basketball players. I do not appreciate seeing Jayhawk players initiating scuffles, returning punches, or wanting any part of a stupid fight. It was never in our tradition before and it should not be there now. I know times have changed. However, simply hiding behind the "kids are immature at that age" mantra misses what we have always stood for. The Jayhawks have always been about playing hard, aggressive, winning basketball, but never have we ever been about looking to fight. Leave that to the UConns, the Georgetowns, and the Missouris of the basketball world. It's out of place in Allen Fieldhouse. We play basketball here!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 2 months ago

I love the twins, they just say whatever is on their minds. I miss them already.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Chris Wallace Is a KU guy and I want to support him.

But Chris Wallace apparently has a middling resume of accomplishment, as far as building winning professional basketball organizations.

Chris Wallace recorded a few positive moves with the Heat, but nothing decisive.

Chris Wallace recorded a few positives with the Celts, but nothing decisive. He traded Joe Johnson who became a successful player elsewhere. He drafted Paul Pierce who became a big time player later. But drafting Paul Pierce at #10 was not exactly string theory.

When Chris Wallace finally got in charge of a team, Memphis, he promptly cut the cornerstone out of the foundation Jerry West laid in Memphis, when he dumped Pao Gasol for essentially nothing.

Chris Wallace drafted Xavier Henry for Memphis, and we know X had a very, very long way to go toward maturity.

Chris Wallace has picked up Shady and we know Shady was never the world's most consistent player.

Chris Wallace's first HC hire was Mark Iavaroni and we know is not much of a coach.

Chris Wallace fired Iavaroni after one season trying to coach a team Chris Wallace gutted.

Chris Wallace has never actually played, or coached, basketball, according to his Wiki page.

Chris Wallace wrote a recruiting book published annually between 1981-1996, then became a scout in the CBA, and has climbed upward through scouting and player personel director roles.

Chris Wallace has now picked up Josh Selby on a 49th pick and has immediately begun lecturing Josh publicly about growing up.

Why in the world would Chris Wallace draft a player and then begin lecturing him publicly about growing him up?

Because Chris Wallace is not confident enough in his judgement to pick and Josh and know Josh can make it.

Chris Wallace is positioning himself for Josh to fail, so Chris can say, "Well, it was a big risk and I said so, when we picked him."

This lecture to Josh Selby, at least the public portion of it, was not apparently for Josh Selby.

It was more likely CYA for Chris Wallace.

The NBA stands, as slayr often remarks, for No Boys Allowed. But men of apparently modest skill and unimpressive judgement are allowed into VP and GM jobs in lesser market franchises from time to time.

I fear Josh's string of bad luck may not yet be over.

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

Paul Pierce at 10 in that Draft was a Crime and will be referenced in His hall of Fame speech if there is any justice....

There should be a new Criteria of being adopted in the post Shaq era.... Did Shaq think enough of you to give you a nickname.... If yes, then he is Hall eligible, if the numberrs ancd championships equate.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 2 months ago

The draft is the NBA version of Rivals.com. Overall, they have a good percentage but there will always be the colossal mistakes that everyone remembers.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 2 months ago

McHale is a genius. There are TVs everywhere . I hope he didn't stress his brain figuring that one out. I am not too sure about Houston's management team. Who cares if Mello hears the truth. BFD. McHale is already showing fear. Hey McHale it is called being competitive which in a profession sports league is a good thing . He must have forgotten that being with that winner of a team in the Timberwolves.

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 2 months ago

From Michael Wilbon on ESPN.com:

"A college basketball coach who wears an NCAA championship ring told me the story of a recent encounter with a recruit who brought an uninvited "personal coach" to the coach's university office to discuss how the young prodigy would be best handled."

This sounds to me like EITHER Josh Selby or even more likely DeAndre Daniels. DEFINITELY seems like Self that they're referring to. I guess could've been Krzysewksi & DeAndre Daniels. My money is on one of the last two scenarios.

Sally Presson 3 years, 2 months ago

Wish Mario would go to another team who appreciates him, seemed to me LaBron was always fussing at him and often didn't pass him the ball.