Sunday, June 26, 2011

Josh Selby lectured about maturity by Grizzlies coach and executives

Former Kansas University combo guard Josh Selby met with Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and several team executives before addressing the media Friday afternoon at FedExForum.

According to the Memphis Commercial-Appeal, the Grizzlies’ second-round draft pick was lectured about “the need for his maturity to match his talent.”

“He says he’s not cocky. Well, I beg to differ,” Grizzlies assistant general manager Kenny Williamson told the Commercial-Appeal. “All players have egos. It’s how you carry it. And maybe he carried it a little differently. But right now, after talking to him, he’s been humbled.”

Noted coach Hollins: “He just has to come in and play to his talent level. If he plays to his ranking out of high school, he’ll make the team. But he obviously has to bring it from an off-the-court perspective. He may be immature, but if he’s willing to work and grow, I’ll have no problem. We’re about professionalism and about playing hard. He doesn’t seem like a guy who doesn’t compete. That won’t be an issue.”

Selby, who missed the first nine games of the 2010-11 season because of an NCAA suspension and later was slowed by a foot injury en route to averaging 7.9 points and 2.2 assists per game, told the Baltimore Sun he was “very surprised” to have been taken by Memphis at No. 49 overall.

“I didn’t have any contact with them (before draft),” said Selby.

As to why Selby waited so long for his name to be called, there were rumors that he had not fully recovered from the foot injury he sustained at KU and also possibly had weak knees to go with character concerns.

“I don’t know what happened, and I don’t really know why I slipped so far,” Selby told his hometown Baltimore Sun. “I don’t really want to get into that anymore. I was just happy to have my name called, and now I’m just going to make the best of my situation.”

Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said KU coach Bill Self gave Selby a glowing recommendation, while Grizzlies team doctors said the 6-3 guard is completely healthy.

Former NBA player/Baltimore native Sam Cassell, who played for assistant GM Williamson at Florida State, also spoke highly of Selby to Grizzlies officials.

“Sam believes he’s a good kid, and that he’s a gym rat,” Williamson told the Sun. “He believes Josh will come in here and work. I trust Sam, so until he proves otherwise, that’s what I’m going to go with. Perception is a heck of a thing. You know how they say possession is 9/10ths of the law? Well, perception is 9/10ths of reality. I believe the kid has been miscast.”

Jayhawks on Grizzlies: Selby joins former KU players Darrell Arthur and Xavier Henry on the Grizzlies’ roster. The Baltimore Sun also points out the Memphis team has a distinctive Maryland flavor. Rudy Gay, like Selby, is a native of Baltimore. Greivis Vasquez played four years at Maryland, while Sam Young won two Maryland state championships at Friendly High in Prince George’s County.

Marcus compares himself to Melo: The Houston Chronicle mentioned Saturday that Rockets’ first-round draft pick Marcus Morris of KU has compared himself to New York Knicks’ phenom Carmelo Anthony, “because I’m a midrange king.”

On Friday at his introductory news conference, Morris cracked: “I’m not going to take after him on the defensive side.”

Hearing that, new Rockets coach Kevin McHale warned Morris: “They have TVs all over,” the implication that Anthony might hear the rookie's comments about his defense on the tube.

Markieff on his shooting range: The Arizona Republic newspaper on Saturday pointed out that first-round Phoenix Suns draft pick Markieff Morris of KU hit 25 of 59 threes last season, not bad for a 6-foot-10 player.

“I had to change my shot a little bit,” Morris told the paper. “I had to shoot higher, I (had been) shooting more direct. And I was just getting older and having the green light to shoot the three.”

Asked about his toughness, Morris credited mom, Angel.

“She made me tough,” Markieff told the paper. “Growing up in Philly, it was tough, and that’s one thing I’ll always remember, where I’m from.”

Comments

Sally Presson 2 years, 9 months ago

Wish Mario would go to another team who appreciates him, seemed to me LaBron was always fussing at him and often didn't pass him the ball.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 9 months ago

From Michael Wilbon on ESPN.com:

"A college basketball coach who wears an NCAA championship ring told me the story of a recent encounter with a recruit who brought an uninvited "personal coach" to the coach's university office to discuss how the young prodigy would be best handled."

This sounds to me like EITHER Josh Selby or even more likely DeAndre Daniels. DEFINITELY seems like Self that they're referring to. I guess could've been Krzysewksi & DeAndre Daniels. My money is on one of the last two scenarios.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

McHale is a genius. There are TVs everywhere . I hope he didn't stress his brain figuring that one out. I am not too sure about Houston's management team. Who cares if Mello hears the truth. BFD. McHale is already showing fear. Hey McHale it is called being competitive which in a profession sports league is a good thing . He must have forgotten that being with that winner of a team in the Timberwolves.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Chris Wallace Is a KU guy and I want to support him.

But Chris Wallace apparently has a middling resume of accomplishment, as far as building winning professional basketball organizations.

Chris Wallace recorded a few positive moves with the Heat, but nothing decisive.

Chris Wallace recorded a few positives with the Celts, but nothing decisive. He traded Joe Johnson who became a successful player elsewhere. He drafted Paul Pierce who became a big time player later. But drafting Paul Pierce at #10 was not exactly string theory.

When Chris Wallace finally got in charge of a team, Memphis, he promptly cut the cornerstone out of the foundation Jerry West laid in Memphis, when he dumped Pao Gasol for essentially nothing.

Chris Wallace drafted Xavier Henry for Memphis, and we know X had a very, very long way to go toward maturity.

Chris Wallace has picked up Shady and we know Shady was never the world's most consistent player.

Chris Wallace's first HC hire was Mark Iavaroni and we know is not much of a coach.

Chris Wallace fired Iavaroni after one season trying to coach a team Chris Wallace gutted.

Chris Wallace has never actually played, or coached, basketball, according to his Wiki page.

Chris Wallace wrote a recruiting book published annually between 1981-1996, then became a scout in the CBA, and has climbed upward through scouting and player personel director roles.

Chris Wallace has now picked up Josh Selby on a 49th pick and has immediately begun lecturing Josh publicly about growing up.

Why in the world would Chris Wallace draft a player and then begin lecturing him publicly about growing him up?

Because Chris Wallace is not confident enough in his judgement to pick and Josh and know Josh can make it.

Chris Wallace is positioning himself for Josh to fail, so Chris can say, "Well, it was a big risk and I said so, when we picked him."

This lecture to Josh Selby, at least the public portion of it, was not apparently for Josh Selby.

It was more likely CYA for Chris Wallace.

The NBA stands, as slayr often remarks, for No Boys Allowed. But men of apparently modest skill and unimpressive judgement are allowed into VP and GM jobs in lesser market franchises from time to time.

I fear Josh's string of bad luck may not yet be over.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 9 months ago

I love the twins, they just say whatever is on their minds. I miss them already.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

Marcus comares himself to Melo, keep dreaming punk !!!!

martyks 2 years, 9 months ago

Just to weigh in here. I know Bill Self. I have talked to him a few times. I love the guy. I do not want to go back to any "good old days" but I do miss one thing that I hope Coach can restore. Before the twins came on the scene, if there was even a hint of an altercation, the Jayhawk player would simply walk away. I remember O trying to shake hands with a kid who dunked over him. I remember Randall walking away from a player who wanted to fight. We just frustrated street fighters with our wholesomeness and still beat them at the end of the day because we were better basketball players. I do not appreciate seeing Jayhawk players initiating scuffles, returning punches, or wanting any part of a stupid fight. It was never in our tradition before and it should not be there now. I know times have changed. However, simply hiding behind the "kids are immature at that age" mantra misses what we have always stood for. The Jayhawks have always been about playing hard, aggressive, winning basketball, but never have we ever been about looking to fight. Leave that to the UConns, the Georgetowns, and the Missouris of the basketball world. It's out of place in Allen Fieldhouse. We play basketball here!

namder 2 years, 9 months ago

If you want only 4 year players then say goodbye to Coach Self because he won't want to or be able to compete nationally with those kind of players. When the Big XII makes it's next readjustment then forget about catching on with a major conference. Bend over and prepare to take it because KSU and MU will use us for heir whipping boys or anything else they would want to use us for.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

I hear that some people have complaints, but in another post I mentioned lets compare in 8 years where Selby and where Kyrie Irving are. The draft itself doesn't define the player, it is what they do after the draft. There have been numerous players drafted in the second round that have had solid careers, additionally, and there have been a lot of first round busts. I think Selby will surprise a lot of people, and he will show up come game time.

mikehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

The Grizzlies are stockpiled with young players. Josh will have to produce and show something special, or he will be in the D-League next year. Marcus is getting ready to learn just how tough the NBA really is. Once the season starts all of the self promotion talk will burn off quickly because it is all about learning the game and producing over a long season. It is all business. As you watch teams on the NBA, it is all about a few star players and a whole bunch of role players. Darrell Authur on the Grizzlies has a chance to move from strictly role player to something more special if he continues to develop like he has the last two years.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 9 months ago

I will say I am a bit surprised Memphis too Josh because they are deep in the guard position but I maybe wrong. I am hoping he does get a fair opportunity. I will be curious if they see him as a PG or SG. I think with their depth he has a better shot going for a backup PG role, but shall see.

I don't care to bash him and never have. I always felt he needed to stay to improve his draft stock, but can't change it. I hope he gets a real opportunity to make a team. He showed flashes of brilliance and now for himself I hope he can make good on it.

gardenjay 2 years, 9 months ago

One-and-donessss$$$$. Personally, I think KU should just institute a 4-year requirement or a degree requirement and be the first to snub the sort of pro attitude college basketball has copped for what, three decades?

cg1029 2 years, 9 months ago

Chris Wallace is one of the worst GM's in the history of the NBA and has been nothing but a laughing stock for quite some time... The Griz as a franchize have been one of the worst in the NBA for the last 10+ years... I find it strange that they did not workout Josh at any time and everyone that they spoke with gave him a glowing reccomendation but they still feel as though he is immature? I have a feeling that this might not be the best situation for him to have been drafted into...

djhawk75 2 years, 9 months ago

I truly wish the best for Selby. And if he does well in the NBA I'd bet that most Jayhawk fans will support him like they would any other former KU players. Further, I don't doubt Selby's character as a person, especially given his age and what he has experienced throughout his short life. Now here comes the BUT: He appears to lack that one quality that is essential for growth in every profession, the willingness to learn and be adaptable to change. The Grizzlies certainly thought so, and that is evident in their comments from this article.

The best thing that happened to Selby was probably that he was drafted by the Grizzlies. Based on what I saw from the Playoffs this organization appears to be one of the best managed in all the major sports. They may be able to bring him around. Other organizations wouldn't bother to try to teach him anything--they would just cut him if he doesn't fit their needs.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Unfortunately, I've done more than my fair share of Josh Selby bashing, but Dear God - let's let it go. Even I'm getting tired of all the Selby negativity.

KULA 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow, the Rockets/Knicks matchups should be interesting this year...if Marcus even gets into the game.

kennethterry92 2 years, 9 months ago

I think we need to give Selby a chance to work and prove himself even though his 1 year didn't work out like he and everyone else wanted he was a Jayhawk and he gets my support like all former and current players

William Blake 2 years, 9 months ago

"Selby lectured about maturity by Grizzlies coach and executives"

This is exactly what Josh needs to hear. It may sound mean to some, especially if you haven't played organized sports, but it is the truth, and Josh deserves to hear the truth. The NBA will never be short on truth. They told him straight, and hopefully he will embrace their words and focus more on what it will take to make it versus just living in the dream in his head.

The NBA is a business... a big business... so there isn't time to play games besides basketball. Josh needs to be directed to the right choices, and that will take maturity. I don't know why anyone would be against him maturing. He clearly made some mistakes that sent him from being #1 to #49. Blaming other things will not cut it. Look at who was chosen #1. Irving suffered every bit as bad an injury as Josh, but he endured. The NBA is all about enduring the struggles to reach the top.

Josh deserves every chance possible to make it as a pro... and it all starts with being truthful as to what he needs to do. Sometimes the truth sounds mean, but it isn't. He's been blasted 10x that hard in practice through his life, because coaches have to find ways to squeeze extra effort from players.

I hope he turns the corner and brings his stock back up where it belongs, but it will be a hard-fought journey and he will have to prove to the league (and himself) that he is up to being a pro at the level that is required. The bar will not be lowered for him. He screws up now, he won't ride the bench, he will be gone!

This isn't the USC game, or the VCU game, this is life.... and the pressure is on. Step up to the challenge, or you'll be playing in Europe.

bstew34864 2 years, 9 months ago

Ok, let's just rip Josh some more...Sometimes Jayhawk fans are freakin unbelieveable. This kid is 19, grew up in the slums of Baltimore, saw many of his buddies get killed or incarcerated, and people get on him for being a little "cocky"? Give me a break!. This kid did all that was asked of him. His major infraction? He got hurt. His second major infraction? He wanted to play so badly that he came back before he should have and was never 100%. We all should have kids with that kind of determination.

You clowns who continue to criticize Josh are foolish and are seriously lacking in the required intellectual rigor necessary to be a serious analyst of Jayhawk basketball. The thinly veiled references to race in your criticisms of Josh and the Morris twins is reprehensible. Do you understand that behavior in large part is determined by culture? And culture is in turn largely a result of the respective environment. So, if kids grow up in an urban environment where crime, bad schools, and drugs are the norm. Guess what? They will see the world differently than kids who grow up in the fields of an Iowa farm town. Where everyone knows each other and trust of your neighbor is high.

Do you notice how white kids who grow up in trailer parks exhibit some of the same behavioral and cultural characterisitcs of kids who grow up in the "hood".

The jayhawk critics of these kids are so shortsighted and brain dead it is laughable. For every Josh Selby and Morris twins there are thousands of kids who didn't make it because they were not good enough, didn't grow tall enough, or made one bad decision that is indicative of youth. Unfortunately, when a kid from the "hood" makes one bad choice or decision guess what? It changes the course of his life because his family can't bail him out of jail, or send him to rehab, or pay to place him in some type of academic program that gives him something to channel his energies towards.

Before you criticize Josh and the Morris twins let me know when you cared about a kid from the hood who couldn't make baskets and had nothing to offer except his self.

These kids deserve our respect, admiration, and support. Sure, they say dumb stuff, sometimes do dumb stuff, and believe the dumb hype about themselves. But, for the most part these are good tough kids built out of the same cloth as the Hinrichs, Collisons, and Vaughns. And most importantly of all...They Are Jayhawks!!!

William Blake 2 years, 9 months ago

"We’re about professionalism and about playing hard."

Translation: Welcome to the "No Boys Allowed" League.

Janet Scott 2 years, 9 months ago

To LJW Staff, With this article, and the blaring headline once again demeaning and blasting Josh, you cement your reputation as a bunch of utter fools, who simply can't let Selby move on with his career. You refuse to recognize and laud Josh for choosing KU over the hundreds of other schools who pursued him out of high school. I am convinced you spend hours daily and nightly scanning for any source of negativism you can parlay into print to slam Josh. Every day its another Josh bashing headline in the LJW.

I am one KU alum and long-time KU booster who weeks ago tired of the LJW's constant Josh bashing. In your brainless inepitude, you continue to do immeasurable damage here on the east coast to KU's reputation (and future recruiting efforts), with your relentless ripping of Josh. Your brainless single-subject mantra angers me greatly and is an embarrassment to JayhawkNation. Shut it down.

waywardJay 2 years, 9 months ago

Lionel Hollins is a good coach for Selby.

He wouldn't put up with Crap From Zach Randolph, and he certainly won't put with it from Selby.

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't think you're totally off base Chamberlain, although I don't think you're being fair to Selby. He wasn't involved in most of that stuff, and I've never understood all the people that rip him for having a bad attitude. He seemed to have a fine attitude to me, he just didn't play up to his potential, and I think the injury had a lot to do with that.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what to make of the Morii. I'm rooting for Marcus, but apparently he hasn't learned anything from the dumb trash talk before the VCU game. It might be nice if he would actually play a few games in the NBA before publicly ragging on one of its biggest stars.

I'm not sure whether I would rather have all class characters over Final Fours, but I still hold out hope for having both.

jhawkr 2 years, 9 months ago

Selby said “I don’t know what happened, and I don’t really know why I slipped so far" ...................

See that is part of the maturity process Josh. It's not how good you think you are or what your HS ranking was. It's what have you done lately that matters !

Hopefully the Grizzlies truly gave Josh a wake-up call. Sounds like he needed it and needs to get past listening to those telling him how good he is/was and get to work in the gym and bring it to the NBA level. Otherwise the D-League could be a real humbling experience and a most likely long road.

Ryan Lee 2 years, 9 months ago

I know I was no perfect student and puked once on campus in the enrollment line but BB Guns, fights w/ football players, sex in the locker room, multiple transfers, etc. Unless we are winning championships, I personally would rather go back to the days of KU getting class kids. Sorry, but Self has recruited quite a few cocky punk types...The Morri (trash talk before VCU) are no Raef/Pollard/Niang and Selby/Taylor are not Jacque Vaughn/Jared Haase types. Selby seemed to have had a punk smile on his face constantly when running down the court and Self tolerated it.To me repp'n the school correctly matters to me as an alum more than Final Fours...which by the way we keep not getting to! Only an opinion. Go ahead and rip me now.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Had enough Selby talk to last me for a while!!!

Wonder why nobody has picked up on the heat getting a guard. Could Mario possibly be looking to leave and get paid somewhere else?