Saturday, June 25, 2011

Josh Selby gets emotional upon draft selection

— Former Kansas University combo guard Josh Selby said he broke down and cried on Thursday night when selected in the second round of the NBA Draft by the Memphis Grizzlies.

“My first reaction was I couldn’t believe it. I was sitting in the car with my mom listening to the radio station,” Selby said Friday at his introductory news conference at the Grizzlies’ FedExForum. “I heard people in the background say, ‘Josh Selby (was drafted).’ I ran out of the car, broke down. Everybody said, ‘Welcome to Memphis.’

“I’ve been here before. I love the city. I’m ready to put on a Grizzlies’ uniform and play,” added Selby, who is a cousin of University of Memphis players Will and Antonio Barton and friends with Grizzlie Rudy Gay.

Selby told reporters that his foot injury was the reason for not meeting expectations his only season at Kansas.

“After the injury I never could get back in the flow. Coach (Bill) Self wanted me to shut it down, but the competitiveness inside me ... I wanted to help my teammates. The injury held me back,” Selby said.

Selby was asked by a reporter what he thinks when people tell him he has “character and maturity issues.”

“I know deep down that’s not me,” Selby said. “That’s not who I am. I have a clean slate here and will try to change that perception people have of me.

“They (naysayers) say I’m cocky. I don’t think I’m cocky at all. I have a way I carry myself and say things. They say I have a temper, bad attitude. I don’t have that at all. They say I’m selfish. My teammates at Kansas thought I was very unselfish.”

Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said the team was thrilled to land Selby at No. 49 overall. He presented Selby a Grizzlies hat just like commissioner David Stern would have done had Selby been a first-rounder.

“It’s been said if you stayed in school you’d be a first-round pick. We don’t want you to miss on a first-round experience. Congratulations and welcome to Memphis,” Wallace told Selby as he gave him a Grizzlies hat to place on his head.

“Sometimes you get a dose of good luck in the draft,” Wallace told the media. “Hopefully last night lady luck shined on the Grizzlies when Josh slipped to 49. It was a similar situation in 2008 when Darrell Arthur took a tumble to 28. We picked him and he’s been productive and it has worked out,” he added of the former KU forward.

“We’re taking Josh primarily off his high school pedigree right now. Some thought he was the best player in the country. He was always ranked in the top three. Any time you can get that type player with that type of pedigree late in the draft ... there’s not any risk but a potential high reward.

“I know josh is disappointed the draft didn’t quite go his way. It was an up and down season for him at Kansas. Now is the beginning of his professional career. We are starting here with a blank slate. We’re anxious to see what this very talented man can do ... We’re coming off the best season in the history of the franchise.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 5 months ago

Ok time for the "I told you so" crowd (myself included) to stop and start wishing the best for this kid. RCJH!

FreddyinLA 9 years, 5 months ago

Ampersand, just a question from your response to my comment yesterday on D. Stevenson turning out OK because he didn’t suit up for Roy.

You commented Stevenson was drafted in the first round.

You don’t think Josh would have been a first round pick last year being the no. 1 point guard in the country if HS players were still eligible?

KULA 9 years, 5 months ago

How come everybody who plays for Bill Self ends up with a stress fracture?

Memphis got a steal. Josh could be starting for them in a couple years. Good luck Josh. I'll look forward to following your progress in the box scores along with the rest of the Jayhawks in the NBA.

AverageCitizen 9 years, 5 months ago

KULA - Everybody? Who are you talking about? I don't remember the Morris twins having physical problems. Athletes put incredible amount of stress on their feet. Add to that that players in this age range still often are growing, you have injuries. So, you are implying what?

I guess you are implying the same thing for coach K too because Kyrie Irving, the number 1 draft pick in the NBA this year, had a serious foot injury that kept him out of all but 11 games. Or, Roy and Ty Lawson with his foot injury in the ACC and NCAA tournament.

I see you are really reaching to slam Self. NOT NICE!

ChicagoGman 9 years, 5 months ago

Hate to break it to you, but Shin Splints have nothing to do with stress fractures and can be fixed easily by stretching your calves regularly.

Zero correlation to stress fractures, which typically are caused by heavily repeated actions.....such as running up an down the court for a 7 months.

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

Josh, stay healthy and Good Luck to you in Memphis, and I also think that Memphis got a steal.

Page Butler 9 years, 5 months ago

@kula that seems like an overly broad thing to say or ask. I don't think everyone that plays for Bill has stress fractures. Perhaps what should be asked is why does everything KULA says sound so stupid? I know that's broad too, but probably closer to truth than your statement / question.

yates33333 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby needs to be grateful Memphis drafted him. I wish the GM had been specific about how he fits in with their future. I wish him well, but expect very little. Being an NBA player is very, very difficult.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

I am sure he would be crushed to find out that you personally have low expectations of him.

Ryan Gerstner 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, good luck to Josh. I hope he's able to accomplish his goals and dreams.

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 5 months ago

Did the GM really say that there is no risk drafting a player based primarily on his highschool pedigree but only a high reward? I would be skeptical working for a man who is that delousional. Before the OAD rule, the NBA draft was a graveyard for talented kids who jumped straight to the pros when they weren't ready. I'm not sayin that's going to be the case w/ Selby, but its definitely a real possibility

Dirk Medema 9 years, 5 months ago

You obviously missed the first half of his statement - "late in the draft". The graveyard you refer to also ignores the difference between lottery picks (pre-OAD) and "late in the draft".

Andrew Dunlap 9 years, 5 months ago

I only wish the best for the kid. It sounds like Mepmphis likes him and sees potential in him. He's a young kid and deserves a chance to heal and become a success.

Funhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Grizzlies may become my favorite NBA team with its three Jayhawks. Congrats to Josh. He needed some good news after all he has been through since he came to Lawrence.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

Capitalize Josh in the last paragraph please. Thanks.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

IMHO I truly believe the media portrayed and intentionally wrote negative pieces about Josh Selby hoping he would become a "Bust". It's unfortunate, but I guess it comes with the territory. After reading this article and listening to his interview on 610, I wish Selby would have listened to Self a little more. With that said, unlike many of the soundbites the media has used in order to create a Self vs Selby type of controversey, I think Selby loves Kansas, it's fans, and the KU program.

Here is the interview: Very good interview except the part where the host keeps trying to goat Selby in talking negatively about Kansas and Self. Very professional from Josh Selby. Wish he would have come back, but I give him respect for being a man about his decisions. He has to live with those decsions now.

JayHawkFanToo 9 years, 5 months ago

Danny Parkins (fill in for Nick Wright) did the interview and he was a total a-h_o_l_e trying to get Josh to bad mouth KU and Coach Self. Unfortunately (for him) Josh did not waver and indicated that he will always be a Jayhawk.

Joel Hood 9 years, 5 months ago

I wish nothing but the best for Selby - I hope he fulfillls all his dreams. However, I think the odds are really stacked against him. If the stress injury in his foot is what made him a poor defender and team player at KU, then why did his stock drop so dramatically once the NBA team workouts began?

His margin of error will be paper thin to eventually earn an NBA contract. Blaming injury for lack of performance will not endear him to NBA executives - quite the opposite. Good luck Josh. You are now the exemplar for the KU OAD experience.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 5 months ago

Others have said the team workout issue was a knee injury, and the resulting drop was an injuries worry issue by GM's.

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 5 months ago

Looking forward to Josh over time dispelling the many naysayers. Best of luck young man.... Prove them wrong!

trueblue68 9 years, 5 months ago

Josh,

Congratulations!!!!!

I have seen Wilt & all of the other greats that have played in Allen Fieldhouse, I even got to see the Big O(Cinn. Grad) set the Allen FH scoring record of 56 in one game.

You are the closest that I have seen to having the great Jo Jo White's ability, & you know what a great NBA career he had.

Nobody wishes you had the injury, but that is just Life, bad things happen sometimes to good people.

So go do it. We are pulling for you.

Best wishes & success!!!!!!

Robert Brock 9 years, 5 months ago

I threw up a little in my mouth when I read this. Gtfo please

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Lighten up Brockhill, trueblue68 was just stating his feelings and I, for one, thought he had a good message.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Apparently some of your puke leaked out of your mouth and onto this post.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

There are a lot of free agents vying for a chance at impressing every NBA team. There were at least 20 in Memphis the day after Selby was drafted.

Don't forget, Sherron wasn't drafted and he is a legend of sorts at KU. His potential is yet to be realized at the pro level. He had a shot at the Bobcats as a free agent and ended up not going past the summer.

Selby, without knowing it, is actually competing with those free agents to qualify for the Grizzlies. You never know when somebody with Sherron's NBA potential is hidden amongst the FAs and could actually beat out Selby. Selby never worked out for the Grizzlies and their selection at 49th pick almost dictated that they went with him. Had they had him on a contract this past season, their best in franchise history, he would not have seen significant minutes behind Mayo, Conley, Vasquez and Allen. He would be a liability to a franchise that is struggling to maintain the over-acheivment that they saw this past season. They also have Jason Williams on the bench who is a seasoned veteran who could run circles around Selby. He may need time to develop. But a trade would benefit them more in some fashion along with the luck of finding a true talent among the FAs.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 5 months ago

Sherron is currently choosing NOT to reveal his talent when he blows off teams like the Bobcats. Oh, wait. Once you start blowing off teams, and arriving out of shape, teams stop calling. There is no potential N of 205, and that is a shame, because there is plenty to the South.

yates33333 9 years, 5 months ago

memhawk presents a very good, albeit brief, comment. Selby's road is a rough one to motor.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't consider them on the same career path. I'm not sure there were too many people that thought Sherron was going to make it in the NBA.

Whereas Josh was always an NBA prospect. It also shows how high his stock was, when he played absolutely under his skills and still ended up drafted. Jacob Pullen and Sherron Collins (and Ben Hansborough) all three were highly talented college players with multiple awards and failed to be drafted.

David Leathers 9 years, 5 months ago

The crazy thing is that if selby were able to go pro after high school he would have been a lottery pick. And if he stayed another year and proved himself, could have been the same thing. His ego got in the way of his decision and I hope for nothing but the best for Josh.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

"Coach (Bill) Self wanted me to shut it down, but the competitiveness inside me ... I wanted to help my teammates."--Josh Selby

The Grizzlies got the deal of the decade in terms of talent, and I have defended Josh at length in terms of it being perfectly all right for him to jump ASAP.

But I have to wonder about this quote and about his and his mother's relationship with Coach Self.

The quote does not appear consistent with what I observed through the lens of the media last season.

Further, I was sad to see that Josh was not with The Twins and Self at the draft.

It suggests that there has been more than just a decision to jump to the L by Josh.

It suggests there has been some kind of a "stress reaction," or outright fracture, in the relationship among Self, Josh and his mother.

I hope time can heal this.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 5 months ago

I think it's more likely he wasn't at the draft because he was afraid he wouldn't be drafted. And as for being with the Coach and the twins, they were invited to be in the Green Room and Selby was not. I think you're trying to make something out of nothing.

Steve Kubler 9 years, 5 months ago

He's right, you have to be invited to the Green Room and there was a story that Josh was not.

captku 9 years, 5 months ago

I tend to agree here. Did that comment seem out of context for HCBS? Shut it down? Really? I'm nobody that knows, but help me understand why a head coach would ask anyone to shut down anything (except maybe too much twitter &fbook - oh snap). I'm thinking these guys are paid to push a young athlete to the pinnacle of their ability, mental and physical, not calling it a day on a guy and sending them to the showers. The latter doesn't seem to get them ready for the next season OR the L, whichever the choice is. Maybe Coach was talking about shutting down some perimeter 3s. It does get pretty loud in the Phog. And in the Alamodome. Even so, I do like his teammate comment. If he keeps things positive and is patient, he should be able to hold his own. That is my hope.

captku 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, Ralster. While EJ's situation was post-season, I suppose Coach could send that message during the season as you suggest. Just made me wonder. Thanks for the assist - must be the 100+ heat! Pass the electrolytes!

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 5 months ago

"Afterall, Josh did select KU over hundreds of other schools who wanted him out of high school. That's enough for me to be fully in his camp"

maybe the best post ever in regards to Josh!

Jeffery Barrett 9 years, 5 months ago

You're right about Nick 'Wrong'. I lived in KC for awhile and he is a no-talent @ss clown. Also, 610 Sports has a revolving door of hosts. Nick won't be there much longer.

chriz 9 years, 5 months ago

You might be disappointed to know that it was Danny Parkins, not Michael Bolton, who have the interview.

I don't think it was a bad interview at all. He asked the questions we all wanted to know, didn't chicken out and play the political correctness game, and he got some good answers.

JayHawkFanToo 9 years, 5 months ago

The interview started OK but after a while it was a running gag with Danny Parkins trying to play "gotcha." To his credit, Josh chose not to badmouth KU, the program or Coach Self. I listened to the interview while driving and even my wife (not a big sports fan) made acoment about Danny being a douche...

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Naysayers please think carefully.....

.....and I will admit that Josh will never make my personal "All-Time Favorite Team" but every Jayhawk that "makes it" in the NBA is a huge factor with future recruits because that, unfortunately, for the elite status athletes, is what it's all about.

To revel in the failure of a Jayhawk is, at best, counter culture and, at worst, down-right mean-spirited.

To be disappointed, frustrated or saddened by anyone's failure is to be expected but to actually enjoy someone else's failures really is not a very healthy way to view life. [terrorists, child molesters and Calipari being the exceptions to the rule, of course]

bhol 9 years, 5 months ago

Everyone really needs to get over Selby leaving after one year. It makes KU fans look selfish and petty; not a good look for a fan base that prides itself on being classy.

This may come as a shock, but KU is not the end all be all...except at the college level.

FreddyinLA 9 years, 5 months ago

Rollin’ with your Mom on draft night. That must kill the KU Josh haters.

Played injured against coaches’ wishes. No altercations with bb guns at JHawk towers, or DUIs, or fights with football players, or outside some nightclub in the AM hours.

The kid got absolutely screwed by the NCAA, was made to play the wrong position, and competed his azz off as far as I could see.

Mark Lindrud 9 years, 5 months ago

I hope he makes it. My only complaint was his draft stock wasn't going to be good and it would be a tougher road coming in as a 2nd Round pick rather than a potential lottery pick if he had stayed. I never wanted him to stay so we could be better, but so he could have a better season and show the NBA his talents. That being said, he has the opportunity now to earn a spot on an NBA roster and live out his dream. Let's hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

jgkojak 9 years, 5 months ago

Interesting comment - "Coach wanted me to shut it down" - sounds like Self felt Selby just needed to medical redshirt the rest of the year.

My question - maybe Self should have enforced that decision?

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 5 months ago

The thing I was thinking about in the draft is a comparison of Kyrie Irving and Josh Selby. I know that one was a first round pick and one is a mid-round 2nd round pick. Both highly touted out of High School. Both played limited games in their freshman year. Kyrie played really good in the early part of the season and generally speaking played against mediocre teams. Josh joined late in the season with lack of practicing and than was injured. Neither one of them I felt got to shine. However, Kyrie never had a bad game, so no damage to his high school reputation.

My real question is eight years from now, I think it will be interesting to compare these two athletes. One was the #1 overall pick with guaranteed contracts for basically his first four years. The other will have to earn his way on the team. I'll be interested in that year 8, because both will most likely be unrestricted free agents. I'll be interested in whether both of these will be sought at, not wanted, or just hanging around.

There was a discussion on Mike and Mike the day of the draft that talked about School never affects the "career" of the athlete. I'll be interested if Josh (and I think he can) overcome the second round pick and can have the career in the NBA everyone thought he would.

Like I say, I still am amazed the Kyrie was the #1 pick overall, personally I think that the Cavaliers were trying to replace Lebron, and that will add pressure to Kyrie that he won't be able to fulfill.

Long and short of this post is I'd like to see the comparisons in eight years.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 5 months ago

Long and short of this post is I'd like to see the comparisons in eight years.

DevilHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby X Darrell Arthur O.J. Mayo

If those players reach their potential, or even come close, that is going to be one seriously dangerous Memphis Grizzlies team in a few years.

JayhawkPurist 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure when I got a worse case of the "dumb chills" than when listening to the 610 interview. The host insisting that Selby watch the Wire in his time off after Selby politely and deftly commented that he hasn't watched the show but that he's lived it? What an ingnoramus. The fact that Selby doesn't wear his upbringing on his sleeve for his advantage speaks volumes about his character. Selby could've played it up for the wide-eyed pundits and fans who like to treat men from such backbrounds as mascots -- having an intense fasination with the inner city but never never engaging it so as to realize that the people who live there are no different than anyone else. Selby took the 610's host's insult in stride and showed nothing but class.

As a lifelong KU basketball fan current citizen of Baltimore City who lives less than a mile from where Selby grew up, I was absolutely embarassed to listen to that interview. I'm just grateful Selby holds no grudges against KU as a result of the local KU media's incessant criticism of him for no reason other than that he left KU to pursue a lifelong dream. As mentioned by a poster above, Selby chose KU over every other program in the country -- all of which would've been thrilled to have him. Upon committing to KU and asked whether he would stay longer than a year, Selby was completely honest and said, and I'm paraphrasing, that he wasn't going to lie, that he hoped he would be a one-and-done. KU, its fans, and the local media knew exactly what to expect. To criticize him for being true to his word and to write article after article "wondering" in passive agressive style if Selby will succeed in the NBA is disgraceful.

As I said, I'm just glad Selby doesn't hold a grudge against KU, as having a player of his stature unhappy with the program, its fans, and media is not good for recruiting in the Baltimore/DC area. A big up to Selby for not stooping to the level of those who seek to see him fail. KU is fortunate to have him as an ambassador for KU basketball.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 5 months ago

I wish he stayed, it would have helped his stock. But now that he's gone I hope he thrives and does well, that's what KU needs now.