Originally published June 22, 2011 at 05:24p.m., updated June 23, 2011 at 02:05a.m.

California prep Merv Lindsay chooses KU basketball

Small forward cites Jayhawks' winning tradition as deciding factor

Merv Lindsay committed to the Kansas University men's basketball team on Wednesday.

One trip to coach Bill Self’s office was all it took to convince Moreno Valley, Calif., native Merv Lindsay that Kansas University was the perfect place to play college basketball.

“Coach Self’s ring box is off the charts,” Lindsay, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound small forward out of Canyon Springs High said of Self’s jewelry box. It contains one NCAA title ring and seven Big 12 Conference championship ornaments.

“Other schools can say they win, but KU has the proof. That’s what I like the most. I like winning,” added Lindsay, who after visiting KU on June 9-10 and Marquette the following week, on Wednesday signed a financial aid agreement with the Jayhawks.

Just last week, KU signed Kevin Young, a 6-8 forward who played AAU ball with Lindsay before heading to Loyola Marymount for two seasons.

“I think he is going to shock the world,” Lindsay said of former Perris (Calif.) High standout Young. “Me and him really, because coming out of high school I don’t think anybody expected we’d be going to Kansas. We’ll prove we belong there and we’re going to do it right. We’re going to win.”

Like his buddy, Lindsay, who averaged 15.0 points, 10.2 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game last season, enters college unranked by Rivals.com.

“There are plenty of guys not ranked. Unranked guys get love, too,” Lindsay said. “Unranked guys sometimes work the hardest because they’ve got something to prove. The difference between me and maybe some top-ranked recruits ... I don’t feel like Kansas should be happy to have me. I’m happy to be there. Like I told Tyshawn (Taylor) and Thomas (Robinson), I will do everything I can to help them, to help us, win a national championship.”

Lindsay is the second member of his family to play college ball.

His 22-year-old sister, Ashley, played at the University of Albany.

“She’s 6-1, 6-2,” Lindsay said. “She won a ring in high school. I couldn’t get one of those. She had a whole lot more ink than me. She was a McDonald’s nominee, all-county. I got lucky. Maybe she should have gone to Kansas,” he cracked.

KU coach Self is happy to have landed 4.0 student Lindsay at this late date.

“We are excited to have Merv join our team,” Self said. “He has great potential and has the ability to help us this season. He is a very athletic wing who is a good shooter. Like all the incoming freshmen we have, as Merv gets stronger, he will continue to develop.”

Lindsay, a lefty who is known for his long-range marksmanship, realizes he has a lot of work to do before the start of the 2011-12 season. He’ll arrive in Lawrence a week from Friday to attend the second session of summer school and start hitting the weights.

“I weigh 199.4 pounds,” he said. “I’m a little bit behind with my body. I’m on the five-month plan. Like coach (Kurtis) Townsend said, I’ve got five months to get it right, so in the first game I’m ready to perform. I need to add a couple tricks to my game, as well, ballhandling and the defensive end. I think it’ll come. I will try to be the hardest worker on the team.”

On Marquette, Tech: Lindsay visited both KU and Marquette after de-committing from Texas Tech in April.

“I was talking to Tyshawn. I said, ‘You chose KU over Marquette, too,’’’ Lindsay said. “I said, ‘I guess I made the right move, then.’

“I liked Marquette, but I really did decide before that (after KU visit). I didn’t want to say that. I went to Marquette with an open mind, but it was like, ‘Man, it can’t be any better than that (at KU).’’’

Of Texas Tech, Lindsay said: “I committed there. I was highly interested in going there. Things didn’t work out. One door closed; a few more doors opened. I had to make the best decision for me and my career.”

He said he de-committed from Tech and did not get dropped as a recruit by the Red Raiders, who have a huge recruiting class coming in under new coach Billy Gillispie.

No. 22: Lindsay said he’ll wear No. 22 at KU. “It’s the number I’ve picked since high school. In AAU, I wore No. 8, but you can’t wear No. 8 in college,” he said.

Well-rounded: Lindsay has played basketball since he was, “9 or 10. The first sport I played was soccer. I went from soccer to basketball and then played baseball, then football. I played football my freshman year, but had to choose. I couldn’t play both. You play AAU in the summer or practice football. I decided basketball is what I wanted to do.”

Yet to come: Asked if Wednesday was the greatest day of his life, Lindsay said: “I think the best day of my life will be when I step on that court, because there’s a lot of work to do between now and my freshman season.”

Green Room for Self: KU coach Self, who has been on vacation the past few days, hopes to be in New Jersey tonight for the NBA Draft. He will join KU’s Morris twins in the Green Room. KU freshman Josh Selby was not invited by NBA officials to sit in the Green Room.

On his name: “My name is Mervyn. Everybody calls me Merv. There was someone in politics in California. He was a good friend of my grandfather. My grandfather named my dad after him and my dad named me.”

The class: Lindsay joins guards Naadir Tharpe and Ben McLemore and forwards Braeden Anderson, Jamari Traylor and Kevin Young in a six-man recruiting class.

The Jayhawks have one scholarship left to give in the Class of 2011. KU next year will have a minimum of two scholarships to award following the departure of seniors Conner Teahan and Tyshawn Taylor. Also, it’s expected that junior Thomas Robinson will declare for the NBA Draft, meaning KU could have up to four scholarships to give. One scholarship has already been awarded to Zach Peters, a senior-to-be from Plano, Texas.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

good bench player. with a name like merv i fully expect him to come in when a starter goes down and lead us to a victory. just as steve urkel did back in his day.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

Been waiting to work in Marv Albert lines into Kansas Basketball threads.... this is probably as close as it gets..... Be prepared for mentions of ( alleged ) Prostitute bitings, grown men in baby diapers, and Transvestites galore.....

As well as...

"Tyshawn dribbles to the Rack and puts up a floater..... Yessssss!"

TwistedFish31 9 years, 4 months ago

Still coming on being a little punk ahphaholio?

jhkprd 9 years, 4 months ago

He's grown 12 inches in the past three years, and doctors project him to grow a few more. Sounds like a project worth pursuing.

minipman 9 years, 4 months ago

we dont want a kid that will never be anything than a bench player.. i think this is a total waste of a scholarship considering the 2012 class looks very promising..

quigley 9 years, 4 months ago

Interesting summer for KU hoops! Wonder how Lindsay will stack up.

Ashtin Meerpohl 9 years, 4 months ago

Please tell me he didnt recieve a scholarship from us and he is walking on. He is a 77 on ESPN's recruiting site. On ESPN's grading scale a player ranked from 70-79 is a one star recruit and a low-major Division I prospect. Read the analysis on him. Bottom line doesn't sound to promising. I'm sorry. I hope he surprises me but we're just picking up anybody who will come our way. These are the kind of guys K-State signs.

kranny 9 years, 4 months ago

I maybe wrong but I doubt if one VCU player was a top 150 and they sent us packing. Self and Co. will get him going.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

VCU had at least one, if not a couple, highly recruited players. One of the bigs was a transfer from an ACC school.

The underlying point though is appropriate.

CrodieBroyle 9 years, 4 months ago

Recruiting services have been wrong before. Derrick Williams was not in their top 150 two years ago, and he is going to be the #2 pick in the NBA Draft tomorrow.

Ashtin Meerpohl 9 years, 4 months ago

Like I said i hope he proves me wrong. He sounds like a great kid who wants to win and really work hard to get to do it. My prayers go out to the basketball gods to help him become the best he can be.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

You apparently choose to focus on the negatives and ESPN summary, but missed the part about him growing significantly recently and appearing to have room for more. There are other positives about him as well, though a streaky shot can be as much about his strength development as anything. The marginal D is all about effort, and I am fully confident in Coach's ability to motivate effort. It's also nice that he is a 4.0.

ku_tailg8 9 years, 4 months ago

There are 345 Div. I basketball teams. If we can always land in the top 100 then I will be happy. What the heck are you looking for in June? This kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders so give him a chance. Otherwise get off our bandwagon. Tell me where you tailgate and I will help you come fall.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

If you don't think Self is the best coach ever..GET OFF THIS BOARD! No Questioning allowed! Herd mentality! Suck it up losers! Tired of these BANDWAGON so called 'fans'!

Ben Simonett 9 years, 4 months ago

The scouting report says he doesn't like to play defense?

Bill Self recruited this kid? are you sure?

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

I hate being the one in the crosshairs..but I don't get it...Why haven't we kept more scholarships for 2012? I love the fact the kid wants to come here and play for Kansas but I would have also. I've got no range, no defense, slow non.jumping white boy at 5'10 160 (back in the day), and can miss free throws w/the best of them. We just filled this position w/Young. Sharp shooter? Where is the source? I just don't get it. With the low 3 star Peters coming (hoping he at least gets his bud and teammate to follow), why are we signing so many players we used to call projects?

ku_tailg8 9 years, 4 months ago

Yea and Selby was #1 and a great shooter and a high riser until I saw him get rejected by the rim on a dunk. You never know. Therefore the idiots who make these lists don't know either. Give this kid a shot. Do you want a steady guard for 4 years or a one and done? Let me know how many games you have seen him play as well.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Check out KU's '08 NCAA champs. All 5 Star or high 4 Star recruits. The difference is that these guys were willing to stay together and work toward a common goal. If Selby came here for a title and stayed around..he would have been a lottery pick...and without all the pressure of the draft, maybe another NCAA trophy to add to AFH. But OADs only come because of NCAA's ridiculous rules.. I saw Shaq get stuffed..so what? We both want KU to win..I hope this kid becomes a star. But those 'idiots' are far more often right than wrong. I have seen him play O, zero, nada games..Nike All-Americans, McDonald All-Americans and AAU teams don't take unranked players.. NY doesn't show Cali high school games.

ku_tailg8 9 years, 4 months ago

I played aau ball til my junior year and I didn't even make the HS team. So thats wrong. The NCAA isn't at fault here its the NBA. Its their rules that make kids go to college for a year. They don't even have to go, so I don't understand that argument. Go sign a one year deal in Europe.

Gregor Southard 9 years, 4 months ago

Gregor Southard 9 years, 4 months ago

Gregor Southard 9 years, 4 months ago

Selby was a #1. Just sayin'. Prep numbers mean nothing. Let's see what these kids do.

RockChalk26 9 years, 4 months ago

Haven't seen a trifecta post in a while. Well done! ;)

boomrsoonr26 9 years, 4 months ago

Ive always said, take a decent kid from OU, TT, aTm, Baylor and he would be either twice as successful or a total flop @ KU.

selfishhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

How about a kid from LMU - stolen from SDSU?

John Boyle 9 years, 4 months ago

There is no statement here! Take any kid from anywhere and he will be successful or he will not.

selfishhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Well, it's official: This is the most ridiculous, rag-tag, patched together, somewhat unsavory recruiting class in KU history. I know all of you will tell me that Self has won a bunch of Big 12 championships and is otherwise capable of walking on water (and I truly hope you're right), but this is unbelievable. He now has Kevin Young, Merv Lindsay, Jamari Traylor and Anderson (not to mention Withey) as 4-5 backfills, none of whom individually are typical KU recruits; and collectively, it's an assortment of big men that is subpar and guaranteed to lead to at least 2 transfers. Not ideal, but still hoping all the down leads to an up in 2012!

Michael Pannacciulli 9 years, 4 months ago

the jury is still out, even for me the biggest skeptic in the world.

AsadZ 9 years, 4 months ago

I rather have guys like these who don't come in with any egos, would stay in school for 3-4 years, develop their skills, build chemistry etc etc. These are guys like Kaun and Jackson, in recent history recruited by HCBS. They turned out to be darn good players and making a lot of coin playing professional BB

Bob Forer 9 years, 4 months ago

But kaun and Jackson were much more highly iegarded recruits.

JayDocMD 9 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, but those are ridiculous comparisons. Kaun was a 4 star recruit (34th overall) and Darnell was a 4 star (54th nationally.) This guy is a 3 star and unranked (not in the top 150.)

Even if you don't buy in to the Rivals rankings, its hard to ignore a 100 player differential. Not saying he can't surprise and do well, but a better comparison would be Quintrell Thomas, and even he was a higher rated 3 star (ranked 149 nationally.)

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

No..they are nothing like Kuan and Jackson and the fact you think they are at least saves me from explaining.

Brand Willis 9 years, 4 months ago

are any of you bill self? NO i think you should show me the rings that say you know more than him. for sure

lace2b4 9 years, 4 months ago

well said...4 or 5 stars don't = college superstar!! Maybe these guys will not be afraid to get on the floor and play some defense.

kujhawker 9 years, 4 months ago

Coach knows what he's doing, have faith! I'm happy that he's getting hungry kids that want to succeed in school and build/mold their skills on the court, rather than be a one-and-done. Prep school transfers have done well for us in the past. Brady, for example...

Jason Brinker 9 years, 4 months ago

Keith Langford and Brady Morningstar weren't highly rated recruits and both of them turned out just fine. Meanwhile we've had other very highly rated recruits that haven't panned out...Selby, Padgett, Micah Downs, etc. Not every recruit can be a superstar...teams need role players. These guys will be hungry to prove all the armchair head coaches on this site wrong. And we'll still have plenty of scholies available to go after some big dogs in the 2012 class.

Hank Cross 9 years, 4 months ago

Brady didn't turn out fine -see the VCU game. He was a glorified gym rat who got exposed when he faced superior athleticism.

Jason Brinker 9 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, let's define his career based on one game. You're a friggin' genius!

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Langford played for the Nike All-American team, and for North Crowley High School in Fort Worth, Texas, averaging 25.7 ppg, 8.6 rpg and 4.2 apg his senior year and earning notice as one of the nation's top prep shooting guard recruits and Morningstar is the son of a KU great who worked himself into a decent player. Not the same thing!

John Boyle 9 years, 4 months ago

The point was neither was highly recruited. No one said they came from the same place or their styles and careers were the same.

Chris Weaver 9 years, 4 months ago

yeah. i'm stumped, and quite honestly, pretty depressed about the upcoming season. i would have liked KU to be bigger players in some higher end recruits. it's as if HCBS honestly didn't think the twins and selby would jump.

Keith Kienzle 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm looking forward to the challenge of next year, but mostly how ej and releford respond to more pt. This statement is pretty silly... darrell arthur went for 20 and 10 in the final and b rush and mario were huge in the tourney. You can't diminish the primary importance of our highly recruited scorers en route the the 08 championship.

jaymar74 9 years, 4 months ago

if only we could get another Josh Selby instead of these unknowns, that would be great wouldn't it?

ku_tailg8 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry but are recruits coming out of the wood work in your home in June?

gchawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Does this mean that we should expect abuse from the Texas Tech faithfuls?

LOL.

Once upon a time, we got an Mulaza from Points unknown with his random Anti-Gill fodder, and e hasn't left us alone since.... Some say he still roams the countrysides and barks curse words in tourette's induced state when GIll signs another 4.4 Freshman defensive back......

LAJayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

"They say he carved it from a bigger spoon..."

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

Hahaha

Nah, I heard mulaza was just azalum spelled backwards. And had it not been for an article about tyrel rubbing coeds down errrr stretching, he would still be among us.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

He's like a badpenny... always turns up.

TwistedFish31 9 years, 4 months ago

Hi, I'm ahperoiaholio. I'm 12 and hate Kansas but spend my entire life going to their boards and making an azz of myself. Oh, and I like to wear underoos and be chased around by my uncle chester.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I accused him of being 12 once. He SWEARS he's 13. The jury's still out.

Jeff Worthington 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes, all 7 of the faithful Texas Tech Basketball fans are IRATE with KU right now.

lee3022 9 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self is a far better judge of talent than the so called scouting services, If he offered it is because Merv can help us and notice that Marquette, among others, thought the same.

So welcome aboard Merv. May your years in Lawrence be educational, productive and profitable. They are likely to be the best years of your life.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Lee, who signed Micah Downs, Galindo, Jiles, Woolridge, Selby, Appleton (sp?), Quintrell Thomas..I usually agree w/you but not on this.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

It appears the kid needs speed and more athleticism. Not sure how to work on that...

[apherse inserts Turner Gill joke here]

ku98 9 years, 4 months ago

His stroke reminds me of Jalen Rose's. Not pretty, but effective.

JayDocMD 9 years, 4 months ago

lets hope he drives better than Jalen

DRsmith 9 years, 4 months ago

and I continue to scratch my head. But I fully expect all of the "the grass is always green crowd" to chime in what a great pick up this is. Some more "expert" recruiting from Self. This screams "I just need to fill out my roster".

Stan Unruh 9 years, 4 months ago

Cut the negative... Look what Self and Manning and the others have done with KU basketball. Have a little faith in the program and trust them to do the right thing. We've been very fortunate and enjoyed an abundance of success. Good things are going to happen and these unknowns will benefit from working within the Jayhawk system.

DRsmith 9 years, 4 months ago

May I remind you they did their work with mostly 4 and 5 star guys? Not guys still on the scrap heap in mid June.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

Do you often blame the tools your craftsman uses or do you just expect the same work given the conditions set out....

Sometimes you have an old rusty hammer, sometimes you get a commercial grade nail gun. You can still build a house either way.

Thomas Michaud 9 years, 4 months ago

I'll reserve judgement until I see the kid playing. Not going to be someone who plays much as a freshman, but could be a solid type of 4-year player. From his Q&A back in 2010 there are positives and (minor?) negatives: http://blogs.pe.com/inlandsoutherncalifornia/2010/12/basketball-interview-with-smal.html Positive Q: Is there a certain motto or quote you'd like to leave the readers with?

A: Hard Work Beats Talent, when talent doesn't work hard. UNDERDOG

Q: Since you are still a student athlete, how difficult is it to balance school and basketball? Is there any colleges you are hoping to get recruited by?

A: It's not difficult for me at all honestly. In my house, it has always been books then sports so I can thank my parents for that. As far as recruitment goes, the schools I've been hearing from are Depaul and San Diego State. Yes, the early signing period has passed but I will sign in the late period once my parents, my aau coach, and I sit down and decide on the best place for me.

.. gotta love a kid who wants to work and study ...

Possible Downsides A: In my free time I really just stay in the house and relax. Twitter keeps me occupied 24/7 and so does Facebook. Every now and then I might step out the house to go somewhere. I'm not much of a party person. (How can he focus on studies if Twitter and FB occupy him 24/7?)

Also, from his recruiting analysis, it also says his not much into defense ... Gotta change in this system if he wants ANY playing time..

Oh well, considering Self is the one evaluating talent, I'll go with his opinion.

Jesse Newell 9 years, 4 months ago

He's on scholarship. KU has filled 12 of 13 now.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Only 1 left and Zach Peters has that. I thought 2012 was the year..I know TT is leaving. Who else?

Ok...

So Naadir was a Solid Single.

McLemore was a Run Scoring double.

Traylor and Anderson were walks.

Young was two run scoring single.

And Now Merv's walked the bases loaded again.

I've got us with 3 acrossed and the bases still loaded with Rotnei Clarke at bat.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 4 months ago

I like the baseball analogy, but I think Traylor will turn out to be more than a walk. That dude is built like a tank!!!

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

In keeping with the baseball theme; after some of these posts today, I feel like that guy that had the foul ball land in his beer, soaking him and everyone around him. And he kept on drinking, with the ball still in his cup. Dedication, my friends.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 4 months ago

I had more to type but got rousted from my desk by a fire drill. To add to Traylor, I've seen what Self can do at Illinois with a big, physical guy like him. I think Traylor will end up being a nice pickup, as will Anderson. But while I trust coach, this signing does seem a little odd.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm working with Bill Self's baseball analogy.....

A walk can be a great thing in Baseball too.... I used a walk instead of a single to placate the crowd that will suggest

" This traylor kid's a waste of a scholarship BOOOO!!!!!!"

Certainly, we didn't lose anything by adding him in the meantime. I'm with you on this one. I think this class is going to surprise a few people... Namely about 65% of the posters....

milehighhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I think it's pretty awesome how many people who spend time here know a lot more about basketball than Bill Self.

Leo Hawkins 9 years, 4 months ago

Exactly milehighhawk!! Bill Self is the best coach in the Big XII who is currently on a 7 season Conference Championship streak. Texas can recruit, but can't win the conference, OSU can recruit -- same result, Baylor too. Our coaching staff kicks butt, and to get this kid so late in the recruiting season is awesome. Until someone kicks us off of the mountain, keep your mouth closed!! Welcome to KU Merv Lindsay!!!

Jeremy Bolinger 9 years, 4 months ago

People have every right to be critical of this move. First of all, its late June and we are still finding kids to play next season. Second, this is Kansas, not Marquette. We are used to getting blue chip prospects and highly touted players. Third, numbers dont lie. For every unranked prospect that gets drafted, 10 ranked ones do. If you are saying that because Bill Self is the head coach and that we should praise every decision he makes, then you are wrong. He has an approval rating, its called a hot seat. While he isnt even close to being on the hot seat, he still has one. I hate this move, and would rather have an extra scholarship for next season to offer a kid who is more physical, athletic, and coveted. However, I dont think this kid, or Jamari Traylor will be around, so it may not even matter. One thing is for certain, we better get some real players next season, or you can kiss those consecutive big 12 championship streaks goodbye.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

Bandwagon - You say "People have every right" as if it is something that they have earned. The only "right" is the freedom of speech that was given. Others, such as Self, have earned the respect of most of the BB world. Well, except for the whine and cheese club.

Jeremy Bolinger 9 years, 4 months ago

Well, I cant speak for you, but I pay money to that school, and buy merchandise, and attend games. So, in essence, I have earned that right. Whine and cheese club? If we werent consistantly choking in big games, I'm sure that whine and cheese club would be a little more forgiving. Now like my name states, I'm not a bandwagon fan. However, I'm not a blind sheep either.

GabrielMichael 9 years, 4 months ago

I say... welcome Merv! Come and blow us away!

Jaminrawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Wow, surprised all of the complainers are so-called KU fans. It's not like KU has ever had three-star recruits like Drew Gooden, Keith Langford or Michael Lee ever work out ... Or even walkons like Moody or Morningstar (initially), they sure didn't work out. All of the people with their heads up the collective a***s of recruiting sites need to understand that good coaches like Bill Self, Mark Few, Brad Steven, etc create teams and develop talent. Last time I checked we have some highly ranked players like T-Rob, Elijah Johnson, Tyshawn Taylor, Ben McLemore, and Travis Releford still on the roster. John Calipari gets everyone and he still doesn't have a national title. You have to set the foundation of a great team and thisgroup of recruits seems to fit that profile. Next year I'm sure Self will land guys like Ellis, Tarczewski, Nino Jackson, etc and the haters will be singing his praises again.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Hope your right..not counting Peters but how many scholarships are left? At one time I thought we were saving most of them but now Peters has the only one. TT is leaving..who else graduates?

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

TY Phog..,although i wish we had at least 5.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Good info slayr..a lot of big names have already been sighed for 2012.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 4 months ago

What is this guy's real name? Merv is a shortened version of whatever he was born with. Does anybody know?

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 4 months ago

Well.. Don,

Wouldn't you like to know as much about our team as possible?

I'll bet your birth certificate reads "Donald", not Don. But, that matters not to anybody here. A player's name is different, however. A certain entitlement implied there due to their notoriety,

selfishhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Single greatest comment on this board. Ever!

LA_hawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I know Self's a great coach, and usually a great recruiter, but let's be honest about the situation, he's scraping the bottom of the barrel out of necessity. So to everyone who's saying "I trust Self over those recruiting services, and the staff can coach these guys up", and "those recruiting services are a joke and not accurate, you build a team by getting 3-4 year guys"... I put together a list of our starting 5 from the '08 championship team and the first three off the bech with everyone's rating coming out of high school according to rivals.com...

Chalmers #12 Robinson #27 Rush #13 Arthur #16 Jackson #54 Collins #21 Kaun #34 Aldrich #30

As you see, only two players outside the top 30, and only one outside the top 50. That's how you build a championship team. You don't have to have OAD's, but you need solid top 50 talent. Granted, we're not going to strike it rich every year with recruits, and yes, every once in a while you can find a gem that's rated in the 100's. But to think we can build a championship calibur team by getting multiple guys rated 100-150, and that the recruiting services don't know what they're doing and that they're a joke...is a joke.

kufankam 9 years, 4 months ago

You make a great point.... However, I thought most KU fans would be smart enough to understand that THIS IS ONLY ONE class!! I think your point becomes really true if this quality of class becomes an annual thing (which most all of us don't think will happen). I think Self has proven that he can flat out recruit. Sure, this year isn't his best. Let us not forget, however, that the names you have listed above were not all signed the exact same year. Recruiting is not a one year thing, it is an every year thing. Next year has a ton of potential with the likes of Shabazz, Ellis, etc. I guess I am just shocked that so many "fans" are freaking out and hating on these kids and our coach. I thought we, at Kansas, were smarter fans than that. I thought we would trust our coaches more and have a "wait and see" mindset. Sure, I would love to have a list of top 20 kids this year, but I still trust that Self and company will succeed this year and into the future!!

LA_hawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I know this is only one class, and I do expect better results in the years to come. He got unlucky this year, so what, I know it happens. As I said above, I know he's a great coach. Maybe you didn't read what I wrote above very thorouglhy. And obviously I know those guys weren't all signed the same year, but they were our core group to a championship and all but two ranked in the top 30, that's the kind of talent it takes. And my point was also that, more often than not, the recruiting services do a pretty decent job of rating these guys.

kufankam 9 years, 4 months ago

I wasn't really disagreeing with you... I was just elaborating based of your assessment to make the point that I was shocked that so many on this board are treating as if this class is the end of the world. I did not intend for it to come across as if that is what you were saying. I was more trying to say that I would expect the "freaking out" reaction from some on this board if the situation repeated itself again. That is where I was just using your comment as a springboard.

selfishhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Before all of you continue writing, please take a moment to take at our roster for this year. Add in Self's "diamonds in the rough" and look at our schedule. Now picture one - just one injury - to Robinson or TT. Scary, right? Pretty easy to imagine missing the tourney. Now take away TT and Robinson, keep half of the "diamonds" (cause 3 will transfer next year), and add the kid from Texas and two 4-5 stars and a 3 star for 2012-2013. I think what you will discover is that Self's flop this year is going to lead to 2-3 years of bubble status - and that assumes his recruiting recovers next year. More importantly, explain to me why we are flopping this year at all? Something is in the air and it smells funny. If you folks want to wait until the train hits you between the eyes, fine; that's your right. But at least admit that some of us our correctly concerned.

Kevin Studer 9 years, 4 months ago

Sugar coat it however you want. But we had to replace 6 key scholarship players. Anyone who says he isn't disappointed in how recuiting went this year is lying to himself and others.

Matthew Stephan 9 years, 4 months ago

Both 2006 and 2011 were weak years in college basketball.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

I've posted this list in the past.You need the talent to win it all.

master16 9 years, 4 months ago

KU may not have as many McDonald's All Americans next season, or even top 100 ranked players, but we will still have our superstars. Taylor, Johnson, Robinson, Releford, McLemore, Tharpe were all ranked in H.S.Granted, this won't be a very flashy or eye catching group (if you're looking at them based off of highschool ranking) but they can still get the job done. This is Kansas after all, and there are standards and we have a great coach. I think Bill Self has proven himself to be better at coaching players who stick around 3 or 4 years, than coaching one and done players.

Josh Galler 9 years, 4 months ago

last time I check the Killer B schools, UNI and VCU had players 50 to 150 and beat our teams ranking top 75 players. Give the players he got a chance

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

True..but those are exceptions..not the rule. If we want to recruit like VCU we are on the right path.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

We've lost to much lower seeded teams in 5 of the last 7 tournaments. If everyone thinks we're going to be so bad this year, maybe it's time for US to be the exception.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

And MIke by your own admission... these players COULD do the work... Exceptions, not the rule. Is it possibly these Kids are Also Exceptions..... Indeed. So drop your flawed argument, and let's watch some basketball.

selfishhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

This line of reasoning is a LAUGHER! The truly flawed argument is using Self's failures in the tourney to lesser talented teams (which some have argued is a coaching failure) as proof that Self's subpar recruiting should be applauded. What a joke!

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Jay..we've managed to disagree agreeably in the past and I hope it continues. Yes..This is only ONE recruiting class, we needed bodies. But the exceptions are teams led by upper classmen who have played together 3-4 years with good solid coaching. With the current rules in place, I'm not at all surprised to see players who have worked together over several years beat teams with more talent. So..if Self is going to make this years class the backbone of the future, we will have a lot less scholarships for a talent loaded 2012 class (depending on whether or not you give credence to the ranking services), unless Self takes them back. Something I wouldn't want to be known for if I was a coach. Someone mentioned Florida earlier..that was one of the most unselfish teams ever. Players risking injury and possibly nba careers to come back to school and win it again. That was a team..not a lot of super talented individuals. Is this what Self is looking for?

Any ways..it will all come out in the wash.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

There is no malice, Mike. It's just a tired argument, that is clearly flawed... Everyone who MAKES this argument is just spouting the same tired line... and it's getting ridiculous.

Let's see the kids play first, before we kick them off campus. Personally, I think they are going to come out with a defensive intensity we haven't seen since 2008.

kckmedic 9 years, 4 months ago

You guys are a trip. They allow us to comment on these threads because people have different opinions. And not all of them are rosey. Any of us who questioned the Gill hire, and his subsequent joke of a season, were "not real fans" and just needed something to complain about. Now anyone who questions a recruit gets the same treatment. Fact is that we are filling our empty spots with people that we previously never would have gone after. If we really wanted these players then we would have gone after them early and from the sounds of it they would have been ecstatic to commit early. So, the fact that we are signing unrated players this late shows that we are just filling spots. We can argue all day about whether it's good or bad. And to kansasalumn, yes we got beat a few times by schools loaded with lower tier talent that stayed together for a while. But how many of them have won championships? Every once in a while you get A team that makes a decent run, and maybe makes a final four, but none of them ever win it all. And that is what we want. We don't want to be a George Mason, or a Davidson, or a VCU that hopes to make a run at an elite eight or final four every twenty years or so. We want to be a team that is in the discussion every year for final four and national title contention. And to do that we need to have teams that are loaded with talent. As LA_hawk said, we don't need one and dones, but we need a team loaded with top 50 talent. I trust that Bill wouldn't sign someone that he didn't think could at least come in and bang around and help the other players in practice. But don't trash people who come on here and voice their opinions about the quality of the recruits. We all have our opinions and yours is no better than mine.

FoCoCoHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Voicing opinions is fine; welcoming new Jayhawks as bottom of the barrel scrapings is beyond the pale. I wonder if the people trashing kids offered the opportunity of a lifetime are the same ones who throw rocks at dogs from the safe side of the fence.

And btw: Coach Self didn't beat the Squid by matching up numbers but instead by refusing to let his players give up.

Kevin Studer 9 years, 4 months ago

Actually no; saying these recruits are subpar is not beyond the pale. That's the point.

FoCoCoHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I was referring the manner i.e. the choice of words we sometime use when the sky seems to be falling. HAH! Subpar at KU ain't too shabby.

But even more to the point: Few things in this world better illuminate the concept of a gestalt being greater than the sum of its parts than a well-coached basketball team.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

You missed your kool-aid today...the faithful won't be happy.

Kenny Terry 9 years, 4 months ago

Welcome Merv to Jayhawk land and enjoy the time here and playing in historic Allen Fieldhouse

NWjayhawk20 9 years, 4 months ago

Yea, not going to lie. From watching his highlight tape, he does not look like a high-major division 1 athlete. I have all the faith in the world in HCBS, but this guy may never see the floor. It also makes me think twice about our other recruits because he doesn't have the faith in them to not recruit scrubs like this guy. Not writing off Merv yet, but I will be surprised if he does not transfer from KU before his four years are up...

Mark Lindrud 9 years, 4 months ago

Not jumping up and down on this one. We already have Kevin and Travis at the 3 spot so when will he play? Are we going to redshirt him? I can see that honestly, but next year we will probably get a top flight 3 which will still leave him out of the loop. I would have rather have picked up another big man, but that is me.

I was hoping we would have saved room for the next class to bring in lots of upper tier talent, but I trust Self just skeptical at the moment.

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

"Monday, Tuesday, Mervday!"

~Its official, Self is through screwing around with waiting for guys who can't make up their minds quick. You come for a visit, you say you like Kansas, you better be ready to fish, or cut bait, or Bill's gonna sign someone else. The de-commit from Louisville? He frigged around one day too long. When the kid calls tomorrow, Self's secretary is going to answer and say, "I am sorry, but Coach Self signed the nice young man who made up his mind first. Do have a nice life."

~If you face west and cup your hand over your left ear, and listen very closely, you will hear Ol' Eddie laughing his you know what's off down in his red War Eagle 861 Predator out on Grand Lake of the Cherokees. You will hear him saying, "Seaney, my boy, Ol'Bill has finally had it with bein' played by recruits. Holy Jobe and Mother Mary, he signed Merv Lindsey. Why, Seaney, do you know what that is going to do to those spoiled rotten KU fans? There are going to be cerebral hemorrhages all over Kansas tonight! Watch out for that log the size of West Texas over there!!! Good job, Seaney. Hey, ol' Billy boy is finding out just how fast and far the mighty can have come-uppances!!! Whoooo weeeeeee, Seaney, Bill might just as well stand up and flip all of them KU alumni the bird, ya hear what I'm sayin"?!!! Now of course them boys he is signin' are gonna ensure he wins another conference crown, and yes, when he brings in Tarshevershi, er, Tarschski, er, what ever that footer's name is, and Mr. Paint Designer Perry Ellis, and that Texas kid he already landed, well all these piano wires he's uh signin' now will bulk up and blend perfectly with those 4 and 5 stars the following season, but man is he sending a text message to all uh them AAU pimps and shoe whores now: only guys who want to sign yesterday get to play at Kansas from now on....Continued...

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

No more stinkin' delay games. Gotta love, ol' Bill, Seaney, gotta love him! He's surrounded by the ultra corrupt sports media/gaming/merchandizing complex on the one hand, the AAU pimps and shoe whores on the other hand, in betwixt he's got prima donna recruits, and behind him he's got spoiled rotten alumni. And what does old Bill say? He says, 'screw'em all, I'll coach my way outta this jam if'n I can't recruit my way out of it.' Just give me ten warm bodies and I'll beat them blue chippers. Watch out, Seaney, there's another log!!! I'll tell ya what, Seaney, if anyone can coach a bunch of piano wires to help his impact players to win 30 games, its Bill Flippin' Self. But boy do I not envy the heat on his backside that he is gonna be feeling from those ungrateful KU alumni. They're like piranhas in little crimson and blue beanies, when they don't land the blue chips."

~I am increasingly convinced that Bill Self could return to landing a lot of Top 50 talent if he would just take out the check book. I respect him for not doing it.

~Always remember...never forget...Bill Self sent the signal after the VCU loss. Self went out early for the second straight season with lots of Top 50 talent and the opponent having no Top 50 talent. He said he didn't see that much difference between VCU's players and his players, yet he knew a lot of his players were jumping to the pros and leaving him high and dry. The calculus was simple. Load up on lesser talent, keep them 4 years, train heck out of them, try to have two, or three top 50s on your roster each season, stir, and forget eating whale dunk 20 times a season when guys who say they love you take a powder for the first sleazy Maybach program that will take them. Self has a long term contract with about 6-7 more years to go. If he and Cin are saving and investing right, at $3.5 mil per year, he won't need another job at the end of the contract. He will only need a War Eagle 861 Predator and a small cabin down on Grand Lake of the Cherokees.

~I can hardly wait to see who he signs next! Serious. I am actually beginning to think he may burn up one more ride. This is getting really wild!

HawksWin 9 years, 4 months ago

+100

When DD comes calling because his coach retired or wants more PT, Self can tell him & other prima donnas "sorry but I got the guys we want, thanks & good luck". A great message to new recruits - our offer comes with a timeline & no we ain't doing any ars kissing.

sportjunky 9 years, 4 months ago

You bag on me (another article) and say that I'm an embarrassment to the Jayhawk Nation for not being "a good sportsman" and you post this crap? Are you freakin' serious??

Wish this young man well and hope that he has a successful and bright future. Don't trash him for picking another school-- support his decision and move on.

Double speak from HawksWin, clearly...

sportjunky 9 years, 4 months ago

I withdraw my above comment. HawksWin clarified the intent of the post for the other article.

KGphoto 9 years, 4 months ago

I never really looked at that statement at the end of last season as a rip on the OADs, but when you put it like that, it clearly was.

Bravo jb.

AZHawk72 9 years, 4 months ago

I'll scream my lungs out for whomever shows up with "Kansas" emblazoned across their jersey. My problem is that either some of these dudes are going to be playing with Southwest Baptist for their Sophomore years, or we are totally blowing off being in favorable positions with 4-5 quite superior players in the upcoming 2012 class--and despite Coach Self's awesome performance and reputation, I'm not happy with either outcome. This is feeling a little too much like watching Alabama recruit football players.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

Anyone who is afraid of Braedan ANderson, Jamari Traylor, and Merv Lindsey Should just hand back their 150 ratings.....seriously.

Even after a year in our system, Ellis Tarcewski, and Peters should be pretty solid bets to outwork them onto the Depth Charts... I believe these kids we've got coming this year are going to be decent players, but if these rankings are worth the breath I'm using typing this message, they should not for a second doubt their ability to get playing time at Kansas.... Perhaps that is one of Self's ultimate goals.... Create an enviroment of tough able minded players, rugged physical type players who WILL play defense and stick around for a couple years.....

Perhaps, to use Jaybate's XTReme muscle ball logic, perhaps Self's ultimate goal here is to bring Big ten Basketball to the big twelve.... thoroughly mug opponents into submission with smothering ( read aggressive fouling ) defense.... huggin's ball with a bit more class.....

jayhawker_97 9 years, 4 months ago

smooth 3-pt shooter, who can go either L-R. the way he shoots 3s, reminds me of RMiller. i'd like his chance to contribute in shooting. welcome to KU, Merv!

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

~Is Fish "disappointed" about Merv, too?

~God, I hope Merv turns out to be a diamond in the rough and makes all the doubters eat their words...but it seems a long shot. Still, nothing is written, Merv. So: welcome.

JayDocMD 9 years, 4 months ago

He might play 10 minutes a game if he stays for a red-shirt senior year. I will root for him and hope I'm wrong.

Michael Sillman 9 years, 4 months ago

Just in case Merv or any of the other recent recruits actually look at any of the negative stuff posted on this website, please know that 99.9% of Kansas fans don't read past the JW writer's lead article much less post anything here.

If Bill Self signed you, you are either a very good basketball player or could become a very good one with the right work ethic and coaching.

When you run out on James Naismith Court, 16,300 fans will be screaming just as loud for you as they did for Wilt, Jo Jo, Kirk, Nick, Mario, and Sherron. Count on it.

So put in the weight room work and the practice court time so that you can join that long list of Jayhawk champions.

Aligned 9 years, 4 months ago

I didn't read all the post's, but yours was by far the best of what I did read. I would add only "don't read internet comments" to your last sentence.

jayhawktalk 9 years, 4 months ago

Merv signs a grant in aid with KU... Days later, Lindsay declares after a successful visit to SDSU, that he will play for the Aztecs next year.

There is some speculation as to whether the KU Staff was notified before Merv's change of heart. When asked about the situation, Coach Self replied, "We wish Merv the best as he pursues his dreams... and, who the 'h' is this Steve Fisher you keep asking about? ...If he's still available, and hasn't signed with someone already, we still have some spots available."

In all seriousness, welcome to the team, Merv! It sounds like you are going to have to work your tail off to be successful, moreso even than most recruits who join the team, but you already knew and considered that when you chose KU. The fact that you come to KU knowing that you are going to have to bust your a-- makes me cautiously optimistic that good things will happen.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

Who the H*** is this steve fisher everyone keeps talking to me about.... If he;s still available sign him up....

Priceless. +1

IF these kids want to Work at all, It will drive our Elites to be more rugged.... Reverse Psychology.... Using the Fresmen to hack up the Juniors and Seniors in practice, let'em know that they are no different from everyone else.....

I'm liking this class more and more, and not for the Star Quality...... there's an underlying theme....

Naadir - underrated.

Ben - questions about his defense and shooting touch, underrated.

Jamari - There aren't 147 players in this class better than me. Underrated.

Braedan - Canadian... You cannot ever consider a canadian basketball player overrated. Underrated.

Kevin young - He caused Steve Fisher to make Jayhawks forget about Ben Howland's whining. Severely underrated for that alone. Bill, let him keep the hair, if he wants too.

Welcome to the Class, Mervyn. We call this our Checking Class.... which means you will be playing defense however coach says too, you will be likely carrying the football teams Pads, and possibly the Men's rowing teams boats around.... It will be a learning experience for you 6, but I tell you when these rating's fanatics are confounded by the sheer blue collar approach you will bring to the court, it will be worth it.

roosey 9 years, 4 months ago

Seriously people calm down with the doom and gloom, the reason this year is a "down year" is because we had half the team jump ship and there's no way Self could have planned ahead for that. We got some pretty decent recruits beforehand and came really close on some other talented guys, but maybe what we need is a group of guys that WILL stay four years and give us some experience and depth instead of guys that jump ship.

Ken Sedgwick 9 years, 4 months ago

If Bill likes Merv, I like Merv. He sounds Merv-oless.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 4 months ago

I guess we need practice players. It is odd that a player not in the top 150 in the country gets a scholarship at KU, but we'll see. I'm betting some of these guys won't be around in 2012.

allamerican 9 years, 4 months ago

I read the blogs on kusports.com multiple times a day and have never posted before. After reading through MANY of the posts in this article I walk away more confused about SOME Kansas basketball fans. So many complain about recruiting "one and done" players.... then further complain when the coaching staff signs players that are legitimate 3+ year program builders. Pick your poison I guess! Look at the size and athletic ability of the undervalued recruits that were signed in this class. After 90 days with D Manning and this staff these kids will be leaps and bounds better than where they stand now. I put more trust in preseason polls (ala K State being ranked preseason #3/4 in '10) than I do these recruiting sites that place a value in 16, 17 and 18 year old kids. I'm guessing Bill Self knows more in his pinky about recruiting and player development than 99% of the people posting here so let the man do his thing. Has he failed you yet??? I'm excited about the next few years and believe the '11 and '12 classes will be a GREAT foundation for continued success and title runs!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

For your first post................Well Done! Welcome to the community.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 4 months ago

Holy crap. I check out for a bit and we land Merv. Kind of interesting .. kind of.

The thought progression this spring: Anderson, who? Ugh. Traylor, why? Young, ok .. I think I see. Merv, now it's clear.

It is as simple as this: Take as many as you can, throw them up against the wall, and see who sticks. Those that don't stick, hit the road and find their way to Duquense or somewhere else for 2012-13. And none are roadblocks to the big-time guys in the 2012 class. The more guys you snag, the higher the liklihood you find a keeper.

The only guy in this group that mildly interests me is Young .. because of the prior 'fro. Hope he brings it back. But also because he has some proven D-1 qualities.

Other than that .. a snoozer. But slayr .. glass half full. Definitely.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

We never fully agree, and yet, we never fully disagree.

At this point, If Kevin Young Doesn't succeed I will be wondering what the F*** was Steve's problem.....

The one who gets my attention is Traylor.... He's got a legitmate chip on his shoulder about ow good he feels he is.... And Bill has even mentioned the only reason he isn't ranked higher is he's "undersized."

I agree that none of these kids will be roadblocks to a great class next year, but I do think the proportionate members will stick and stay.... I think we may lose 2 of the 6. Maybe.

Personally, I like the fresh approach, after two years of being burdened with the expectation that Henry and Selby inevitably belie, I expect Coach will actually get there kids to Perform like a Team again... Under the rugged leadership of our Starting 4 + whoever steps up..... Tyshawn, Elijah, Thomas,__ and Travis....

Last year we were the Vancouver Canucks.

This year we could be the Boston Bruins.

theend 9 years, 4 months ago

Wow.....a lot whining on this board......why? I think our new guys are great.

And I for one am absolutely done listening to "experts" telling us how good a recruit is or the whole ranking process altogether. They know nothing. Seby is a perfect example. He was ok.....but not even close to what the "experts" told us.

I wonder if the whiners will still be here complaining when KU wins another Big 12 next year. Give these kids a chance......Geez.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

I kind of like the old cynical version of you. I do agree with 'Give these kids a chance......Geez.' And I hope to be proven wrong but as of now, this is easily Bills worst class. Maybe he is leaving to the NBA and wants to give all who criticized him a farewell present.

theend 9 years, 4 months ago

I like to think I'm more a realist.....but your point is well taken. Well jhawk7782......I figure old Self knows what he's doing. Besides....all the highly ranked recruits only have potential.....that's it. They actually have done nothing yet.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 4 months ago

So your telling me if you had a financial advisor who only picked you winning stocks 80% of the time, you wouldn't pay attention to the stocks he recommends you because of those 2-3 times when recommended a dog?

The recruiting services aren't 100% right, but for every josh selby or derrick williams people like to bring up i can throw hundreds of accurate predictions back.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

You know, the more Self brings in these "Less Talented" Kids (At least in the eyes of recruiting services and most fans who only read those services), the more I'm really liking this team and the players Bill Self is bringing in.

I'll be honest, I don't know much of anything about this kid, nor do I know much about Kevin Young, Jamari Traylor, or Braden Anderson. What I do know is that these kids are already being labeled as "Castoffs" and I think that is a good thing. I want kids that want to be Jayhawks all the while having that desire to prove people wrong. There is no better feeling than coaching a bunch of kids that so badly want to prove people wrong and show that they belong.

When I think of this 2011 recruiting, I automatically think of those misfits from the 1991 NCAA Final team that consisted of Adonis Jordan, Terry Brown, Richard Scott, Alonzo Jamison, Mark Randall, Patrick Richey, Mike Maddox, Steve Woodberry and Kirk Wagner.

Before people start complaining too much about this pick-up simply because he's not in the Top 150 of the recruiting services, just remember that Russell Westbrook wasn't in the Top 150 either. Roger Federer wasn't the best of tennis juniors before he came professional. Roger consistently lost to Roddick, Hewitt, and Safin in his early years.

I think Self is trying to make a "Run" over the never 3-5 years and it starts with the foundation of all of these 4 year players he currently has signed into the Jayhawk program. These recruits certainly aren't the "Sexy" picks at the moment, but I have a gut feeling something is brewing in the near future. I can only hope it ends up something similar to the 1991 and 1993 Kansas Jayhawk NCAA Final 4 teams.

theend 9 years, 4 months ago

Totally agree.......so many times the "scrubs" end up having awesome chemistry and win the whole thing!! I do believe the 1980 US Olympic hockey team was called every name in the book.....remember? Yes.....it's a different sport.....but the theme is the same.

As I said.......I don't listen to "experts" anymore.....done with it.

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

Get a bunch of people no one things can get the job done.

Tell them that they can and F*** anyone who says they Can't.

Watch them go rip a chainsaw through guys wo have Rivals Numbers on their profiles.....

What happens when those Coaches like Calipari get into a tight game with these aggressively snubbed players.... guys who have something to prove.... You think it won't raise Self's top150 recruiting if we beat teams like Kentucky wit these supposed Castoffs.....

Someone needed to take on the AAU circuit Coaching that has Superior talent non-actualized in the NBA wandering aimlessly in search of Leadership.... ( Yes, you Bronnie.... ) I'm just hoping Self has the stones to pull it off.

KStoCAHippie 9 years, 4 months ago

Damn straight. You sir, hit the nail on the head.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 4 months ago

I'd be willing to bet 2-3 of these kids that "want to be jayhawks" you like so much, wont be jayhawks by late night 2012.

loyal2thaphog 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm just as skeptical as the next loyal jayhawk fan about this signing, and a bit surprised by it too, but I have to say- I have trust/faith in Self and Manning. I'm not sure I agree with the "see who sticks theory," but I'm not about to argue against it. All I know is, I see this kids highlights, and yes, I know that anyone can have a highlight video that makes them look like the next phenom, but I see this kid and the first name that comes to mind is Wesley Johnson. For those of you who don't know the name, Johnson was a 2* prospect coming out of high school and ended up the being the fourth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft...not bad. If the info is accurate, he has already grown 2 inches since the last recruiting service reviewed his skills. Maybe he is not a 2 anymore, yet like many late bloomers, still possess a guard skills. Don't get me wrong, I know I'd be far too optimistic to think this kid will turn out to be as good as Johnson was, but (to me) he has late bloomer written all over him. Bottom line, he knows what he has signed himself up for (probably a redshirt)... but if this kid does stick, think about what kind of match-ups Self will be able to run from the 2-4 spot for the next couple years.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

Great Post! Spot on with Wesley Johnson!

Robert Jones 9 years, 4 months ago

I trust Coach Self... year after year he proves that he is one of the best coaches in the country. He knows what he's doing...

Welcome, Merv!

theend 9 years, 4 months ago

Completely agree.....he knows what he's doing. Plus, notice how enthusiastic all these kids sound? There is a reason for that.

djhawk75 9 years, 4 months ago

Let's step away from the ledge folks. The article says that Merv has a grant-in aid agreement w/ KU. I'm guessing that means that a full scholarship is not being used on him. Besides, the year after next we will likely be very light in the roster. And we need the so-called role players as badly as we need the stars.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 4 months ago

Tait noted that the guy is on scholarship just so you know in one of the posts.

jayhawktalk 9 years, 4 months ago

Merv grew this year. According to the Star, Merv grew from 5'7" his freshman year in high school to 6'7" by the time it was all said and done, and he's young for his class, not even 18 until August. Merv may still be growing; a 6'5", 188lb ranked-earlier-in-the-year Merv is not the same as a 6'7", 200lb Merv today, but at this late date the rating services will not be updated to reflected the extra growth. If he grows to 6'8, 6'9", etc., and gains weight to go along with the increased height, where would he be ranked?

Merv played soccer as a kid, so his footwork should be decent.

In looking at his shot, it appears the unorthodoxy (it's not that bad, honestly), looks mostly to be due to a lack of strength - he's turning his body a little and "pushing" on the 22' - 23' shots, but I did not see any twisting - straight up and down - in the mid range shots. No doubt, the strength will come, ball handling will improve... He is still growing into his body.

Can't help but like that he's left handed. It never, ever hurts.

I think it is very reasonable to speculate that we may very well have Nat. Championships the last two years had KU signed Alec Burks. Alec was a late bloomer. Who knew, right? Merv may not be the next Alec Burks, but the risk/reward is there, so why not take a chance on him? The more I think about it, the more I am convinced there is no downside to this signing. Worst case, there is no improvement (unlikely), and he either transfers or is a role player; best case, who really knows? The one thing we do know is that, if the best case ends up being a wild exceeding of current expectations, KU will not be on the outside looking in this time.

Welcome to the family, Merv.

Kristen Downing 9 years, 4 months ago

We are the next San Diego State....Perris, CA, Barstow, CA and the top of the heap, Moreno Valley, CA. These are all places you don't walk alone after dark. I know, I live in southern CA. Sheesh, these last two "recruits" are worrisome.

KStoCAHippie 9 years, 4 months ago

Eh, quit your whining... jesus man, SoCal isn't THAT bad.

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

How many scholarships are going to be available next year? I know we lose Tyshawn Taylor and I am assuming that TRob leaves. That would give us two. Does Teahan still have a scholarship? If memory serves me correct he was given one last year. We still currently have one available right? If that is correct, we have four to give out and one is already assigned to Zach Peters. Can somebody else comment and let me know if I am off?

jayhawktalk 9 years, 4 months ago

TT finishes up, Teahan has a scholarship, but also leaves as a 5th yr sr., next yr. TRob likely leaves, as much as I think we all wish he would stay with us forever.

We currently have 1 open schollie + the 3 above, so 4 available next yr, yes, and this assumes no one else leaves early and/or transfers.

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

So, we can still give out 2-3 (depending on TRob) for next year. I would imagine we will see a transfer as well. I'm not saying it will happen, but I could see a scenario where someone doesn't get much playing time and ends up transferring to play closer to home.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

4 Schollies available and Zach Peters currently has a schollie so that technically leaves 3 schollies for next year.

As much as I hate this part of amateur athletics (College Basketball) I think it's inevitable that KU gets at least 1 transfer next year and possibly two.

I've said this many times on this forum that as a parent if my son was a part of this 2011 Jayhawk recruiting class that I would be a little weary for the future of my son. Yes, in the short-term it may be a very good opportunity, but everyone knows that 2012 is suppose to be or will be a huge recruiting class for Bill Self. I would hate to be on the outside looking in between Anderson, Traylor, Young, and Merv, especially with Self and KU recruiting Ellis, Tarc, and McGary for next year.

I'm not too worried about guys like Tharpe and McLemore, but anytime you bring in more than 5 scholarship players and you double up on positions, it's not going to be good for somebody, and that's the unfortunate part.

With all of that said, I still see 1 or 2 transfers for next year, unfortunately, with Peters, Ellis, Tarc, Reece, and Jackson all becoming Jayhawks next year. Would love to see McGary in a Jayhawk uniform because there is no better "Big" program in the country than KU, but would be a miracle I think to get him.

JayDocMD 9 years, 4 months ago

I agree with your take about the transfers - it seems inevitable.

Over the last several years, all indications point toward Coach Self officially adopting an "oversigning" recruiting strategy. In addition to this years haul of lower rated recruits, he has previously signed kids like Royce Woolridge, Tyrone Appleton, and Quintrell Thomas to name a few. Self isn't afraid to take a flyer on a kid. But as higher rated recruits come in subsequent years, it becomes obvious to these kids they won't see the court for 3-5 years and they move on. In the end, they were essentially practice squad players - our version of the NBADL. The hope is that one day one of them will rise up, overachieve, and be the next Derrick Williams.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking Coach Self for this strategy. I'm convinced he never promises kids playing time - they know they have to earn it. And unless the NBA changes the OAD rule as part of the new CBA, there is really no other way for a coach to cover themselves for the unexpected losses that come (Markieff and Selby this past year.)

As far as that next class of recruits that will keep Merv, Jamari, Braeden, and Kevin on the bench... I feel we stand a good chance to land Kaleb and possibly even Mitch. I think Nino will wait to see what J-Mychal Reese is doing - hopefully we can land one of those two. I am, however, afraid Perry has eyes for Duke. Just a hunch - hope I'm wrong.

wtarush 9 years, 4 months ago

Merv, I know you are reading this...and all the comments that have come before this one. Welcome to becoming a Jayhawk! You are on the right path, but what you do from here will determine where the path takes you.

If I were in your shoes (I wear a size 9 1/2 so I would spend most of my time falling down) I would read all these comments...especially the ones that have shamed me with their assumptions of your talents and Coach Self's ability to evaluate them, print them up and hang them on your dorm room wall. Every time you walk by them in the future after busting your a$$ on the court, or in the weight room, float these comments the one finger salute then burn them when you have WORKED your way into the rotation. A few years down the road when you are walking off the hill with a college degree and a contract to play some professional basketball somewhere laugh at the memory of these shallow and hatefully motivating comments.

I'll be laughing with you.

Rock Chalk to the newest Jayhawk!

KStoCAHippie 9 years, 4 months ago

Quick question: what was Reed ranked on ESPN's recruit list? Just wondering if he was a top 10 college prospect? How about Morningstar?

Look, I understand that we are sort of spoiled here at KU... but, then again, maybe that is exactly what's wrong with us in general. I'm sorry, but Xavier simply wasn't that hot a player while at KU. I damn near broke a TV with a remote when he was playing for us. We got him for 1 season and we didn't achieve our goal at all. Selby was another top recruit... and what did we get from him? Some unhappy looking little punk wandering around, only seeming to care about the game well after he left Allen Field-house and Lawrence altogether...

I think (actually, I HOPE) that Bill Self is done with high ranked one and done minded students... I'm tired of egos and promises. I rather have a team of midgrade players, matured through 4 years of good solid play, than some jacka$$ wandering in and thinking that its all about him (or worse, not giving his all in ANY way...). We don't play a "one superstar" type of game anyways... we're well respected for our teamwork and group cohesiveness, how about we try that instead.

We'll see how this season goes... what I HAVE seen though, is that getting those top ESPN choices didn't exactly make us NCAA champs these past 2 years.

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

Reed obviously wasn't a top 10 college prospect, but he was actually ranked in Rivals top 150. He was actually #109 (see link: http://rivals.yahoo.com/mosports/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1611)

I'm not saying that this kid can't be good and I don't completely buy into all the rivals rankings, but I will say that you can't exactly compare Reed and Merv. I

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

hmm..jut wondering if Morningstar wasn't the son of a Jayhawk great if he would have been recruited.

HawksWin 9 years, 4 months ago

Welcome Merv! Now that you are given a chance at your dream (this was not an accident), what will you do? First, meet your teammates some Jayhawk fans are calling bench warmers & future transfers as they question your/their talent. These fans feel ashame because you/teammates haven't been approved by the bball rating agency or do not have a ** or * next to last name, and banking on a poor season. Second, you are in charge to make sure you/teammates work like never before to toughen up physically & mentally. Third, you and unproven teammates will 1) silence unbelievers/doubters, 2) have ESPN sing & praise you/teammates polished talent, 3) bulldoze over UNI/VCUs, 4) stomp prima donnas in F4. Yes your dream has been elevated - NC for KU. We the fans of believers know it takes more than talent to win it all - passion comes from the heart, and you got a big one; and the unrelenting desire to win that fuels you/teammates' mental game. Now go get that NC for those who believe in you, Young, Traylor . . .

Jayhawklegacy 9 years, 4 months ago

The people on here complaining about the numbers in front of these kids names, are the same ones complaining about the over rated kids that come here and flop!! I'm sick of reading it!! I am more excited for this coming season then any other season for this reason!! I want to see these kids prove everybody wrong and laugh at all these doubters! Hell, i will go one further and say I'm more excited for this season then 2012!! These kids are going to be hungry and the more you guys run your mouths the more their stomach growls. So happy we don't have any one and dones. So happy we don't have any kids that think they should get it handed to them!!! Peace out! Make sure you go check your rivals.com lol!!!

Jayhawklegacy 9 years, 4 months ago

Or better yet if you don't like their standings root for Kentucky! I heard they have some pretty good rivals players. Honestly you are not a real fan if you don't already love these kids we have coming this year!! I'm so hyped when i hear some of their comments!!! Really you would rather have one and dones? If some people on here think that way then they must not really watch the game!! I mean really watch the game in all it's struggles and beautiful glories!!

KULA 9 years, 4 months ago

"I don’t think anybody expected we’d be going to Kansas" "Like his buddy (Young), Lindsay... enters college unranked by Rivals.com."

Nuff said.

yates33333 9 years, 4 months ago

I like this kid already. I bet he becomes a starter before too long. He has a great attitude. Go Hawks!!!!

DRsmith 9 years, 4 months ago

Trust me, you don't want this to happen. If he becomes a starter KU has no chance and sniffing the dance.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 4 months ago

The landscape is different in 2011 in D1. Just look back at the brackets from the last few years. Teams with "under the radar" players broke into and stayed in the top 25 longer during the regular seasons and earned entries into the tournament on their strengths, not their reputations. And, those teams didn't have coaches that could carry HCBS's bank ststement.

We can look back, but why bother? Looking forward is how you get ahead! Whether you're charging up a hill or across a field, the goal is the same - achieve your objective. KU's objective is not to play to finish, it's play to win! I'm sure all of the coaching staff and the new AD would not disagree with this philosophy.

JJHAWK 9 years, 4 months ago

1988 - One 'All American' and four other players of differing talent and depth so slim they had to recruit a football player to help practices.

2012 - One potential 'All American', one excellent senior guard and good depth all around - though young. Coach Self normally uses an 8-9 man rotation when winning gets serious and our 8-9 man rotation should compete well for league honors and have a reasonable chance at getting us to the sweet sixteen. Depends on injuries and how the team grows during the year. We should definately be better at the end of the year than at the beginning.

Will lightning strike like it did in 1988? The answer to that question is what makes KU basketball so interesting.

My guess about the most predictable result of this years recruiting class: one of the players recruited this year will elect to enroll somewhere else next year for more playing time.

My biggest worry: I don't see 'Stars in development' for next years team (think NBA 1st round). May mean we will really need a One and done.

If you don't agree with this analysis, don't worry. I havn't been quite right since that house fell on my sister and some brat stole her shoes.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys!! Thanks for the trip down memory lane......

Back on earth the flame of life burns low, Everywhere is misery and woe. Pollution kills the air, the land, the sea. Man prepares to meet his destiny.

Into the Void Black Sabbath Master of Reality, 1971

KUfanInFlorida 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't know why Bill Self keeps giving away scholarships on these kind of players. Why not wait till next year and land some talent?

FarSideHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Welcome aboard, Merv!

I don't have any problem with Coach Self signing lower ranked kids that play tough and are coachable, and I really hope this is a shift in philosophy for Coach Self (as Jaybate and some others have pointed out)

What I would hate to see however, is running these kids off when a prima donna comes along without any scholarships left. I know sometimes the kids just want to leave for more playing time (like RW), but I am a bit concerned that we don't have many scholarships left for the following year with several top recruits still being pursued.

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Self is still recruiting for this season. Winning keeps us in the minds of the players we want to attract. I love our program and our tradition. I'm old. Young players are here-and-now. The best way to attract top 2012 athletes is to win. I get the idea that NBA hopefuls will be attracted to programs where playing time is available immediately. I think young players with game are going to believe they will create playing time through their talent. I don't believe Self is recruiting scraps to fill the bench. He is a winner and is filling roles to be competitive immediately.

joeloveshawks 9 years, 4 months ago

I think looking at Rivals recruiting #'s is important too. Look at the guys who will actually get minutes for us this year.

Taylor #77 Robinson #31 Johnson #24 Releford #70 Withey #36

Those are all top 80 recruits, 3 in the top 40. Next years class will be more top talent like this. The upcoming class is obviously not great, but we have had classes flop in the past. Remember Case, Padgett, Wilkes, Giddens class? They were all high recruits but not exactly memorable.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

not to be disagreeable joe, but they were all very memorable. Just not in the good way!

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Jeremy Case was a class kid..never complained and did everything a coach who did not recruit him asked of him. Padgett and Self never seemed to work it out between them. I felt bad that his career ended because of injuries. Omar? No idea but his dad is still one of my all-time favorite Lakers. JR..all talent and all attitude. Glad he left but was still a 1st round draft choice by the C's. He had a real shot w/the Celtics but attitude won out over talent. Last I heard, he was with the New Mexico Thunderbirds. D League

hawksfan08 9 years, 4 months ago

Shoulda saved it for next year. Regardless, I'm sure either Lindsay, KY, Anderson or Traylor will not be with our team after next year. Call it the Quintrell Thomas syndrome.

Robert Brock 9 years, 4 months ago

C'mon: KU recruiting is a mess! The Hawks are handing out schollys to marginal players and now only TWO scholarships are available for 2012. Geez...

JayDocMD 9 years, 4 months ago

Zach Peters has dibs on one of the schollies

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Two words to describe Self when it comes to recruiting. Stoo Pid. He's only won 7 Conference Championships in a row. Give me 20 in a row and maybe I'll change my opinion of him. Maybe. He has no idea how to recruit. The only good players that have ever come to Kansas since he's been here have been guided here by the psychic friends network. Self had nothing to do with it.

Most of you guys will recognize that this is sarcasm. If you don't - two words...............

Jason Montgomery 9 years, 4 months ago

Transfer after 1 year of never seeing the floor, maybe 2.

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 4 months ago

I wish Bill had consulted me before using this scholarship. If Weiner had only asked me I could have spared him considerable embarrassment. I knew there were no weapons of mass destruction and Fannie and Freddie were making bad loans. Now I'm fully dressed with computer access and have sage advice to ensure yearly NCs for KU.

RockChalk26 9 years, 4 months ago

For those of you who are skeptical about Merv Lindsay, ratings don't mean anything. There is a guy by the name of Derrick Williams who looks to be the #2 pick in this years NBA Draft, he was not on the Rivals Top 150, he turned out to be ok.

jdhawk1988 9 years, 4 months ago

Y'all Crack me up. Just cause a guy doesn't win a national championship and get every 5-star recruit his recruiting is terrible. And saving another one for next year do you really think we are going to sign 5-6 5 star recruits???? If you see a player who can help your team you try to sign him, period. I would go out on a limb and say Self is a better coach/recruiter then mostly everyone else in the country (said Brad Stevens) because all he does is win. And while he sometimes has a recruit not pan out, when he hits he almost always hits. Schools like UNC and Duke sign all top 50 players and how many of them become scrubs.

This isn't a video game where you can get every top recruit or the Miami heat cause they showed you need role players to win and not just a few super stars.

chaggs 9 years, 4 months ago

Whether he is a steal or a bust...sounds like he has the attitude of a champion! That often makes up for a bit less skill. The NBA finals proved that.

John Sheehan 9 years, 4 months ago

Is the kid from Vandy with one year of eligibility still on the radar? That could be a good fit / another body. And it would give us the schollie back after 1 year.

I agree this isn't our best recruiting class on paper but it seems like Self is bringing in very athletic guys with tremendous upside and good attitudes.

Being coachable is sometimes better than having god given talent, especially with the right coaches.

Don't put it past Self and Staff to coach up KY, Traylor, Anderson and Merv into significant role players / glue guys....

Next year's class will be have elite talent and will have a lot of team first guys already here...that's the combination that eventually won us a NC in '08 - just sayin'.

Self is playing the hand he's been dealt very well...

GrayHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Did everyone miss this little nugget?? -- KU coach Self is happy to have landed 4.0 student Lindsay at this late date. -- If he surprises everyone and becomes a player, even a bit player he will help both there and with the team GPA.

squawkhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

What do academics have to do with big time college sports?

squawkhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

What do academics have to do with big time college sports?

REHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Welcome aboard, Mervyn! I like your attitude...and size. Traipse right into the training facilities to give Andrea Hudy a huge smile, listen and respond very very carefully to everything Coach Manning has to offer. Maintain your scholarly beginnings, and spend 4 of the most special years of your life proving to an array of doubters that you possess the makings of a champion. And if somewhere down the line you happen upon a UCon player named Daniels, shake his hand and in all sincerity declare, "God is great, AFH is good, and people are crazy!" Jaybate, kudos again to you for lighting up this board with essence.

squawkhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

With a class like this I guess we'll finally see if Self can really coach. It is easy to field good teams when all your players are 4 and 5 star recruits. Real coaches take 1, 2 and 3 star recruits and mold them.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 4 months ago

Scholarships: 2011-12: TRob, TT, Jeff, Travis, Elijah, Naadir, BenMac, Conner, Braedon, Jamari, Kevin, Merv. 12/13 [walk ons - Justin, Jordan, Niko, Christian ]

Scholarships available for 2012-13; 1] One carryover consider that Zach Peter's 2] TT - Senior, gone 3] Conner - Senior, gone 4] TRob - Lottery Pick, gone

Main targets - Shabazz, Perry, Nino, Kaleb among others.

Will more schollies appear from this years crew..who knows? The one thing that is evident is that next year's elite class won't be scared off from Kansas because of superior in-house talent battling them for playing time.

My guess is that if Perry, Shabazz and Kaleb commit, they're starting from day one!!

DRsmith 9 years, 4 months ago

Perry and Kaleb is the most you can hope for. I don't see Shabazz coming here.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 4 months ago

Totally agree..but you never know till you know!! [y.berra circa 1955]

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. I hope we are both wrong, but I don't see him coming here either. I would also like to see with Reese or Jackson

Robert Robinson 9 years, 4 months ago

I hope the players don't read these boards. Everyone take a DEEP breath. Its going to be ok. If bill wants him here, I want him here. Obviously there's something about him that is going go make our team better. Whether its practice, starting or keeping the bench warm.

sokanhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I would have rather had the Vanderbilt transfer and/or Ryan Taylor from Louisville. Oh well, if this kid doesn't pan out HCBS will sit him down after the season and help him understand he'll get more playing time somewhere else. Not that that's ever happened before (Galindo, Appleton, Quintrell, Woolridge, etc.).

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't think that was the case with Galindo. I remember him being a contributor his freshmen year.

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 4 months ago

I love how some people assume the worst...like HCBS doesn't know what he's doing...and people who post on KU message boards do...

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 4 months ago

My adolescence predated facebook. I didn't have parents posting their disappointment that their unfortunate Daughter had to suffer my company at the prom. Folks didn't anonymously lament my decision to attend KU; or publicly regret that my presence in Lawrence deprived citizens of the company of more talented and interesting neighbors. I certainly hope current teenagers have thicker skins and are less sensitive to public rejection. They are technologically savvy and any kid with college level hoops skills wants to read their press. Merv, I have never regretted my decision to attend KU. Lawrence is a great college town filled with people who will be delighted that you chose KU. The academic depts. are outstanding and the campus is lovely, as you already know. You are a good student and will thrive here. You also know the world is co-occupied with bitter people, perfectionists and trolls. They are not worth your worry.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 4 months ago

Just for the fun of it, assuming certain stars align, the Mayans are proved wrong and Justin Beaver isn't elected president, the 2012-2013 depth chart may look something like this:

Center: Jeff, Kaleb, Zach Power Forward: Perry, Braedon, Jamari Swing Man: Travis, Kevin, Merv, Justin Shooting Guard: BenMac, Nino, Jordan Point Guard: Elijah, Naadir, Christian, Niko

That's a lot of bodies for HCBS's nine man rotation. That's 13 schollie guys and 4 walk-ons. Comments?

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

If Jeff proves capable of being a starter and 30 mpg man, either Kaleb, or Zach will move to the 4, and one, or both of Braedon and Jamari would red shirt. I would assume someone else at the 4 would transfer, but, maybe not, considering Jeff will be gone, Kaleb will likely to be a 1AD, and Zach and Perry could be 2ADs, implying only a year of sitting.

If Travis super novas and jumps after this season, which I think is an outside possibility, then no depth problems. If Travis just plays well and comes back for a 4th season, then someone gets a rouge smoking jacket, probably Merv.

If BenMac gets a lot of minutes, locks down, gains 10 pounds, shoots 40%+ from trey, and can put it on the deck with either hand, then with his height at his position, he jumps to the L immediately and Self has to to land a top 10 to replace him. If he is deficient in any of these regards, then he stays and no problems.

If Elijah super novas this season at the 2, or 3, and I think the Prophet is more likely to do that than Travis, or BenMac, then he jumps to the L, and Self has to go out and get a serious PG pronto, maybe two! This eventuality is why Self may be tempted to sign transfer Rotnei Clark now, to have him ready to share the point with Nadiir two seasons from now. Whether Self signs Rotnei, depends on how much he wants to run someone from the team to get Kaleb, Perry and Zach in one catch. Probably quite a lot. Self's track record is that he would always rather have a bird in hand than wait for the bush. I expect him to sign Rotnei, if Rotnei hasn't fallen in love elsewhere, then maybe have to run someone to get the big three--Kaleb, Perry, and Zach.

To be honest, Kaleb, Perry, and Zach could easily spell a ring with a PG committee of Nadiir and Rotney and Nino and Jordan thrown in there some how, along with all the filled out piano wires of this season.

Tried to cut to the chase for Mr. Haiku.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 4 months ago

Not every player is recruited in order to play 28-35 minutes his freshman year. In fact most actually see very little time their freshman year. I think Bobby Knight coined the phrase the best thing about Freshmen is that someday they will become Sophomores.

I see a guy that is a 4.0 student who has some basketball skills that can be improved. I see somone actually has made a smart decision. This guy has come out of high school and basically has been given no shot at an NBA career. He could actually go to Marquette and get some playing time and probably finish with a great college career and a degree. Or he could come to KU, work with some of the best coaches in the world and hone some of his skills. From what I can tell from ESPN they place him as a redshirt candidate this year. Anyways, I could see him actually honing some skills with 4-5 years at KU. He walks out with a good degree (and maybe a master degree) and is a great ambassador of KU. He also could earn some playing time and I would think even he would say he has some outside chance of playing some ball professionally later on (maybe overseas).

The fact that I'm getting at, is I actually hate to see players leave early, I love to see them develop, I love to see how they change from Freshman to when they are leaders as Seniors. How many of us have posted on different articles how much we were happy to see the Morris Twins stay for 3 years, and how many have posted how disappointed we have been with OAD. I guess my whole point is here is a guy that wants to be at KU, has some talent that is awfully raw. Knows he needs to build some skills, hasn't been promised any type of minutes, and wants to work hard. I've known very few 4.0 students out of high school that went and played D I basketball, but it seems like most of the ones that have 4.0 GPAs at KU have proven to be good solid longterm KU players and lifetime ambassadors. A couple of names that come to mind are Ryan Robertson and Tyrel Reed, both were contributors to the team and both long term have KU written all over them.

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

Did I just see Calvin Rafford????? :)

waywardJay 9 years, 4 months ago

Wow. He's dunking on kids his own age. Wake me when he's a Senior in High school.... If he hasn't been convinced he's the next coming of Lebron james.... he might be worth a look....

Drew Doerfler 9 years, 4 months ago

okay, someone correct me if i'm wrong....but with 6 new signees....and saying Tyshawn and Robinson are our only losses next year....doesn't that leave us with only 2 free scholarships left for next year after Zach? So this huge recruiting year of 2012 will be Peters (3 star) and hopefully 2 top recruits. I just don't get why we are loading up with these players this year. I understand a couple, but in 2 years we already have 6 players ranked around 100 to unranked. I'm sorry if I don't think this bodes well for the program. And for everyone quoting Butler and VCU's success with lower ranked players, they were anamolies, not the norm. If you take past champions and elite 8 teams and average recruits, you are going to have the majority with a lot better recruits that we are currently getting. and yes I know, trust in Bill Self no matter what he does. I love Self and wouldn't trade him for any other coach, but I am starting to get a little worried.

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

Conner will be gone, too.

That leaves three, which would be plenty to sign Kaleb, Perry Ellis and the big Texas player who committed quite awhile back.

And if KU does well and Elijah, or Travis super nova, they could jump, though that's a long shot.

Withey being a footer, even though everyone is "Fishered" (i.e., diappointed) in him, could always be grabbed by the L, if he just does 10/10.

KGphoto 9 years, 4 months ago

Oof. I don't know about all those L possibilities. First, super nova'ing is hard to do under Self. Especially from the guard spot. Selby came in AS a Super Nova, and left as a burnt up sparkler. The guards are his hand on the court, and he prefers a defensive strategy and safe, hp shots.

Second, the bigs for the next couple of years just aren't built for super nova. They're system guys who'll work hard, probably do well and hope for a shot at the NBA after a solid 4 years with Danny. Withey flashes NBA ability and long athletic 7 footers who play for KU will always garner some scoutly attention. But I would say any super novas over the next couple of years would be more than a long shot.

Super Nova odds: Robinson, currently a Super Nova Withey, 40:1 Elijah, 80:1 McLemore, 90:1 Travis, 100:1 Traylor, 150:1 The rest, Fahgetaboutit

Troll_or_AntiTroll 9 years, 4 months ago

Yo, listen up. I'm about to drop some knowledge. Instead of defending/criticizing the coach and/or the recruits, just adjust (downward) your expectations for the team. When the team and/or the recruits exceed(s) your expectations, you will be pleasantly suprised. Adjusting one's expecations is one of the keys to happiness in this life, and if you can manage it in this case, you will continue to enjoy KU basketball.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 4 months ago

Damn..I expected a better post! Now what? Just kidding..

KUfanInFlorida 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes, it's still a very talented squad, but it was not necessary to waste scholarships on Keving Young and Merv Lindsay. These 2 are going to be on the bench. I think signing Macelmore, Tharpe, Anderson and Traylor was enough for this year's class.

ku1otaku 9 years, 4 months ago

Remind National Championship and Coach of the Year winner Bill Self to consult you next time he starts handing out scholarships. He wouldn't want to make a mistake.

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

Is this a record for most posts on a thread to a story about an unranked recruit?

mikehawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Somewhere out there is another Alec Burks. Self will have a ball coaching this team. He may have a chance to prove what many of us already know (obviously not everyone on this blog) that he is one of the very best basketball coaches in the country. He will love the challenge. Go ahead, Dick, pick them 5th again. I dare you.

Janet Olin 9 years, 4 months ago

A couple of obvious points that keep being overlooked: not every high school star will become a college star. No way for coaches to predict, based on 'potential', whether the player will work hard, accept direction from the coaching staff, cooperate with other players to form a team. Coach Self has done a pretty good job in my opinion. Sure, some recruits didn't have the talent, work ethic, or team concept. There always have to be more players in the wings in case someone gets hurt or doesn't work out. Work ethic and team attitude are always positives. I hope things work out for Josh, but he could have chosen to play healthy, showcase his skills and team leadership on a very big stage with lots of tv exposure, and prove he can win at college level. For whatever reasons, he didn't. That raises more question marks about him.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 4 months ago

What a bunch of negative waves coming of these posts. In high school were you all voted most likely to quit?

REHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Merv, please don't allow any of these negative posts to get you down. Rather, see them as a challenge to come in here with positive patient work habits to raise your skills to the point that someday you might become the next Christian Moody of Jayhawk basketball. Bill Self and staff have offered you the opportunity to become a part of what most Lawrence Journal World posters view as the greatest basketball program in this great nation of university athletics. Obviously, Coach Self admired your enthusiasm to become a part of the program. He is a very wily competitor who bears the talent to view the larger picture of KU hoops. I think that he might be growing perturbed at the highly rated recruits who sashay into his locker room for visits, strut away with hohum regard for his program, then sign with less significant basketball powers, historically speaking. Your bouncing joyfully at this lifechanging opportunity, combined with what he and his staff must see as raw potential which they can develop, indicates that you might have latched onto a comfortable setting to fullfill educational goals while developing your game. Right here in America's heartland you and Kevin Young and the other 4 or 5 incoming freshmen have the chance to relish and experience a huge chunk of the American dream. I hope to see all of you respond with determination to overpower the likes of a Kentucky program which thrives on netting top rated recruits who barely find opportunities to unpack suitcases before racing away with impartial haste and hardly a warm look back at their one and done college experience to the riches and weary workstyle of the NBA. Pearls lurk abundantly in the various oysters with which you and your incoming teammates are immersed. Go find them out!

ku_foaf 9 years, 4 months ago

No offense to anyone, but I trust the coach's opinion more than the negative commentors. I think I remember a couple of unranked players named Drew Gooden & Jeff Boschee.

msthompson37 9 years, 4 months ago

Go to scout.com and put in north carolina then kentucky then kansas. You tell me who is the better recruiter? I love Ku basketball but we ARE NOT getting the best recruits, hence we are not going to win another national championship with Bill Self at the helm. KU_foaf Boshee sucked. Gooden was good.

kugrad93 9 years, 4 months ago

I think you're both wrong. Boshee was a McDonald's All-American in high school. Saying he sucked is moronic. He's the most prolific 3-point shooter in the history of the program, and he was a starter on a Final Four team.

jdhawk1988 9 years, 4 months ago

msthompson

How many top 10 recruits in the past 5 years have won a championship????

Jhawker400 9 years, 4 months ago

I do have a really uneasy feeling with how this recruiting class shaped up. A lot of patchwork, and scholarships passed out to guys who appear to be a waste. I would have much rather eaten some scholarships this year and swung for the fences next season with 5 or 6 scholarships next season. WE MISSED ON SO MANY GUYS!!! We were in the top 2-3 for:

4 - Brad Beal

6 - LeBryan Nash

10 - Deandre Daniels

11 - Josiah Turner

24 - Trevor Lacey

And at least had a beat/were in the mix for:

37 - Otto Porter

38 - Quinn Cook

73 - Angelo Chol

It's as simple as sealing the deal on two of those 8 guys. Then we aren't in such rough shape choking on unranked "projects". 7-Time Big 12 Champions shouldn't be taking on projects. The real class should have been LeBryan Nash, Josiah Turner/Brad Beal (probably one of the two), Ben McClemore, Naadir Tharpe, and Jamari Traylor. Do that and we are good to go.

Jhawker400 9 years, 4 months ago

My biggest worry is that we now have two consecutive years of really average recruiting classes. Heck, the 2010 recruiting class is already completely gone. So take what we have this season and add it to the big void from last season and suddenly Tyshawn and T-Rob leave. With a few bad misses in the class of 2012 and things start to look bad. Like MISSING THE TOURNEY BAD. I think all of our early signings are flops and I can't say I'm too excited about Zach Peters eating up a spot then dropping 30 places in the rivals rankings. Not a good start. I'd like to think we can get 4 of these guys:

5 - Mitch McGary

11 - Kaleb Tarczewski

18 - Dajaun Coleman

20 - Perry Ellis

31 - Gabe York

37 - Willie Cauley

39 - Nino Jackson

Scott Smetana 9 years, 4 months ago

Welcome new Jayhawk! Great Attitude and height. Set your goals super high and give it all you got on and off the court! College careers come and go in a blink, so give it 110%, have a great time, and never have any regrets or 'only ifs' later in life.