Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Kevin Young eager to bulk up at KU

photo

Courtesy of Loyola Marymount Athletic Department

Kevin Young, who joined the Kansas basketball team this week, kept the tradition of not cutting his hair during basketball season at Loyola Marymount.

Kevin Young, who committed to the Kansas University men’s basketball program on Friday, has not yet met Andrea Hudy.

But ...

“I’ve been asking about her since I got out here,” Young told the Journal-World on Monday afternoon.

The 6-foot-8 Young knows already that he will need help from Hudy — KU’s assistant athletic director for sport performance — to add muscle to his lanky frame.

Right now, he’s at 190 pounds. He’d like to be at 215 before the season starts.

And simply eating a ton hasn’t worked for him in the past.

“I think it’s more about what types of food I eat, because I have a fast metabolism,” Young said. “I’m never able to keep on that much weight.”

So far, Young hasn’t been able to hang out much with his teammates at KU. He’s enrolled in two summer classes and also helped Monday with a Jeff Boschee Clinic in Phillipsburg.

He’s also still getting accustomed to the Kansas weather.

“It’s nice during the daytime out here, but once the sun goes down, it just starts pouring,” said Young, who also added that Kansas was “kind of humid, but I can get used to it.”

At first, Young’s parents were surprised at his decision to play at KU. That included his mother, Alicia Morales.

“She said, ‘Kansas? Way out there?’” Young said. “ ... She only knows a little bit of the West Coast Conference, and that’s about it. Every time she watches me play, she wants to correct something.”

Both of Young’s parents attended all of his games at Loyola Marymount. Young’s former teammates knew immediately where his mother was sitting.

“She just yells at whatever she’s seeing,” Young said with a laugh. “If I don’t grab one rebound, don’t block a shot, don’t dive for the ball, if I stay on the floor too long, she’s just always in my ear.”

“At Loyola, it was during the games. Then, any time since I was seven, we have film on me playing ball, and every time we go back and watch it, she’ll still yell at me.”

While he was at LMU, Young also kept with a tradition: He didn’t cut his hair during the basketball season.

“A lot of kids that I hung out with saw pictures of me in high school with an afro, and they were like, ‘You need to bring that back,’” Young said. “So I did it for them pretty much.”

Young’s bio picture from Loyola Marymount features his hair poofing well above his head.

“I’m not sure if that’s going to keep going,” said Young, who just had his hair cut short last week. “We’ll have to see how Coach feels about that.”

While at Loyola, Young also involved himself with community service as part of a campus organization called “Late Night.”

“I like helping out a lot,” Young said, “and just being a part of the student population as well as the basketball (team).”

More about KU visit

On Monday, Young also further clarified how he ended up visiting KU after previously signing a grant-in aid with San Diego State.

“It happened, like, around the end of May,” Young said. “I talked to (KU assistant) coach (Kurtis) Townsend and let him know that I was interested in coming, and then before he went on, he made sure that I talked to coach (Steve) Fisher and (assistant) coach (Brian) Dutcher at San Diego State and made sure they knew that I was planning on taking a visit out here and stuff. And then, I talked to them as well and let them know.

“They weren’t too happy. I don’t know if they really agreed with it, but I just went ahead and came out here.”

Comments

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 5 months ago

Well it sounds like Fisher was far from being blind sided. Now he just sounds like a whiner. Quit stamping your feet Stevie , just take your ball and go home.

HawkBBall 3 years, 5 months ago

They aint there 'til they're there. Fisher didn't seal the deal.

redlegger 3 years, 5 months ago

“We’ll have to see how Coach feels about that."

...and...

The more I hear, the more I like! Welcome to Kansas Mr. Young!

P.S. Only a suggestion, but it would be nice if we could move on from the "recruiting scandal" comments.

hawk316 3 years, 5 months ago

I like this:

"The forward distributed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and also water to the homeless in the area."

That says a lot about what kind of kid this is.

vd 3 years, 5 months ago

Got on line and thought there was two FB articles today. Oops, this article is not about our DE Young, needing to bulk up. It's tough being a KU FB fan, easy being a BB fan.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. I enjoy both sports equally. But you're right....not enough FB articles even though it's rapidly approaching.

Dustin Engelken 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm not gonna lie..the other day when I first saw the headlines about Kevin Young joining the hoops team, I thought to myself "Good Lord, now we have to raid the football team for talent." Glad that wasn't the case, and happy to have another talented big man on the roster!

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

LMFAO! I 'bout died thinking of a 6'2" 270 pound guy on the hardwood! What position do you think he would play? Point guard? He would make Sherron look like Nicole Ritchie!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 5 months ago

That dude is skinny! He reminds me, physically, of Josh Childress, both in build and with the hair!

jhox 3 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if Rotnei Clark, the Arkansas transfer is on Self's radar? He's undersized, and we're loaded at guard, but he's a tremendous shooter. Also, he'd have to sit a year, and will likely lose some of our guard depth by the time he would be eligible. I seem to recall that Self may have had an eye on him when he was in high school, though I don't think we ever offered. The kid has proven he's a big time D1 player. With so many available scholarships, he'd be worth taking a chance on.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

I recall reading in the LJW that Self offered Rotnei during Rotnei's senior year of highschool, supposedly in part to get Rotnei and Willie Warren, who were once reputedly interested in going the same place. Didn't happen. Warren went to OU. I didn't recall where Clark wound up, nor had I heard he was now a transfer.

It will be interesting to see whether or not Self remains interested in Clark.

Great shooters, no matter what size, can usually retain a coach's affection.

Snoogies 3 years, 5 months ago

Rumor has it that Rotnei is going to transfer to Gonzaga and work out with John Stockton for the year he has to sit out.

HCBS did offer a scholly to Rotnei out of High School but he chose to go to Arkansas.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Man, Kevin Young must be the first KU recruit to lose 20 pounds the first week after his signing is announced! He fell from 215 to 195 pronto!

The LMU pic above is probably a bit misleading, regardless of what he weighs, because he's at least a year older, and a ot of physical maturity usually happens the year after a freshman season, regardless of weight gain, or lack thereof.

Still he seems more a tall wing, rather than a skinny 4, despite Self's comparisons of KY with Julian. KY makes Julian, even Jules as a freshman, look like Mr. Universe.

KY's physique reminds me more of that tall two Texas A&M had a couple years ago, or, to go in the Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody, of 6'7" Bobby Wilkerson on the great '76 Indiana team. I have always loved tall 2s that are defensive specialists. They cause a fecal wagon load of problems for an opposing offense, and...

They...can... guard...the...three!

I hope Self and Hudy just build up his strength, rather the hulk him out and try to make a 4 out of him. I hope Self lets him swing at the 2/3, but it does not sound like he has a 40% gun, so he may have learn to like dietary supplements and live weights in a big way to play in XTReme D1--B12 Style.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely! I'd rather see him build the gun instead of his guns. I would love to see a Reggie Miller patrolling the perimeter and knocking down daggers. But I'll take Reggie's defense, good passing and merely smart, optimistic scoring. If he can get those long arms in the passing lanes and into a driving dribble, he'll be worth more than his weight.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

A couple of observations -- 1) the 'fro can have thinning qualities, and 2) skinny dudes can play basketball.

Joe Baker 3 years, 5 months ago

I seem to remember a skinny kid that went to UT and the NBA. He's still pretty thin by most standards. I kid named Durant, Kevin Durant, that's KD to most.

Yes, though thin off the court, skinny dudes can ball.

Rock Chalk KY and welcome

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

If KY can burn cord from different time zones the way KD did, and does, Self will play him all over the floor all the time. He might even have KY coach a little. :-)

waywardJay 3 years, 5 months ago

I think Rick Barnes tried the same thing with KD.

captku 3 years, 5 months ago

Man, if she has only gotten to watch a "little bit of the west coast conf", and that made her yell, can you imagine what is gonna happen when she eyes the B12 conf play? Picture the Jay in his best Jack Nicholson, "... wait'll they get a load of ME." She'll be the one the students are throwing in the air on the "HEY!" part of one of the chants!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

Average a double double, young man and as far as I'm concerned, you can grow an Afro in the Artis Gilmore range!!!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

PS Gilmore's Afro was so big, he blocked shots with it!! :)

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

Isn't there a limit to the number of years to play once your college clock starts? I believe Young only has 2 years left. He just doesn't have to worry about sitting out his first yr at KU since he essentially sat out last year before coming to KU.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree with redlegger in that the more I know about this young man, the better I like him. My only problem with the whole situation is - could we please come up with some other way to identify him rather than KY ? I'm up for about anything - K-Fro, Kev-Yo ? Help me out guys.

AverageCitizen 3 years, 5 months ago

I, too, am bothered by the use of KY. How about just Kevin or Young? That is simple enough. I'd hate to saddle Kevin with an association to Kentucky.

JayDocMD 3 years, 5 months ago

K-Yo, Kev-Bo, Young Gun, or ... Kevin.

LaJHawk666 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, anything other than KY. I don't mind the lubricant reference, but I hate the similarity to KenSucky.

On my roster he is simply 'Young.'

RCJH

kennethst 3 years, 5 months ago

Joakim Noah was pretty skinny too.....as I recall. He was an awesome player and now in the NBA. It seems like I always hear that players need to "bulk up". Really? Why?

I can understand it in some cases.......but bulk isn't always a good thing. Skinny can make you quicker.....and like somebody said above...... maybe atall, skinny guy like this could guard the 3 pt......Anybody recall a time ever in the past that the 3 pt has hurt KU?? Uh......yah.....I think so.......

David Lara 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that "guard the 3" was intended as guard the 3 spot, as in SF/swing position. We haven't always been great at taking care of an opponents elite 3 and having a great defender a la B. Rush will be a welcome asset. Although, yes, that will include the need to "guard the 3-pointer" as well.

namder 3 years, 5 months ago

My son got to interact with Kevin yesterday at the Boschee camp in Phillipsburg. He said he's long and skinny. My boy also said he was very cordial. It's always interesting that they send some of the new guys that just arrive on campus every year to the Boschee camp in P-burg. They must think they are near the edge of the earth when they get out there.

jc1306 3 years, 5 months ago

My guess is they send the new guys to camps so they can get paid and have some summer money.

jgkojak 3 years, 5 months ago

I am thrilled - I'd much rather have KY than some one and done-er who doesn't give a rats ass about Kansas. With Xavier he at least had his family history. Selby may as well had played for Calipari.

I think KY's obvious maturity more than makes up for whatever size/talent he needs to develop.

martyks 3 years, 5 months ago

I still wish there was something we could do for poor Steve Fisher. I certainly hope the sports reporter who interviewed him about this devastating development stayed cuddled with him and patted him on the back as he sobbed quietly as he told his story. This poor man has been through so much, being blind sided by the Fab Five, having Bobby Knight ignore him simply because he inadvertently back stabbed Knight while at Michigan, and now, this. Perhaps we could organize a "Let's Make Steve Fisher Smile Again" Foundation. There must be something we could do for him!

kennethst 3 years, 5 months ago

Awe.....poor little crybaby Steve Fisher........He's just a "victim", I guess. I felt sorry for him for .0835 nanoseconds.......then got over it. You need to get over it too, Stevie. Don't like it? Deal with it!!

AverageCitizen 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Kevin and Jeff can have lunch and dinner together to encourage each other in bulking up! It works in opposite fashion for Weight Watchers.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Gotta hope that Kevin provides some quality minutes...so that his mom can catch a few games at AFH. I'd like to watch her perform!

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

"A jaybate Public Service: What Thread Rats Here May Mean When They Label Others' Opinions and Speculations Conspiracy Theories"

More than a few thread rats here at KUSports.com like to label opinions and speculations about sports that they question as conspiracy theories and those that express them as conspiracy theorists.

There is nothing in the user agreement that says they cannot use these terms, as far as I know.

And far be it from me to try to censor other persons' opinions and language in exercise of their free expression.

So: in an effort to enable these folks in their use of these terms, and to reduce the confusion I experience when they use these terms at a sports web site, I decided to look up recent attempts to understand the contemporary meanings of these terms, so that all thread rats, myself included, would be on the same page, so to speak, when certain thread rats use these terms.

Well, to my astonishment, when I looked on the web for a recent essay on these terms, I found a remarkable one posted just within the last day or so.

It is an essay by one time Reagan presidential appointee to the Treasury Department, supply-side economist, and all-around entertaining, if also somewhat controversial, essayist Paul Craig Roberts.

Thread rats at our beloved KUSports.com should read this exceedingly short and razor sharp essay, so that they add to their insight about contemporary meanings of conspiracy theory and conspiracy theorist.

As a public service to our community, the link follows.

I have to say, until I read Paul Craig Roberts essay "Conspiracy Theory," I did not really understand what some thread rats here at KUSports.com appear to have meant, when they used these terms.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Reagan Republican Roberts makes clear just how much these terms may mean and why.

According to Roberts, the terms themselves seem to have a great deal of somewhat counter-intuitive political and propaganda content.

Imagine that.

Counter intuitive political and propaganda content on a sports web site.

I have to say that after reading Robert's essay, it does occur to me that perhaps we all ought to consider the political intentions of those that use the terms to describe other posters and their posts in order to help public discourse here stay on sports, if that is what the majority of our thread rats prefer.

It is just plain shocking what these words have come to mean today, if Roberts were even somewhat close to the mark.

Now, I don't know if I agree with Roberts, or not, on any of his essay, but he is a learned man who has obviously put some thought into this and it seemed to merit sharing.

Regardless, it is food for thought in our community of sports discourse, regarding what persons using these terms may actually mean.

Rock Chalk, Paul Craig, Rock Chalk!

(Post Script: This is in no way a political rant on my part. I am simply posting this essay with these definitions of the terms, so that participants here may better understand, or at least try to understand, what is apparently intended, when these terms--conspiracy theory and conspiracy theorist--are used in posts about opinions voiced on sports.)

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate has gone over to the other side...no, not Mizzou or Duke, but at least a full frontal embrace of rationalism.

Shocking! I blame Ayn Rand.

kennethst 3 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate is a jack of all trades. I find his basketball knowledge impressive.....yet I'm finding there are many other sides to him as well. He reminds me of that commercial for Dos Equis beer......the one with the "most interesting man in the world"?......the one that lives vicariouly through himself.....it's a great commercial.

Jaybate has outdone himself(again).

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Saw some nicknames above for Young .... I have to go with K-Fro. Only if he brings back his 'fro. Please. It is classic basketball. It is ABA. It is disco. It is Dr. J. It is Artis Gilmore. And please, K-Fro, no body-building. Nothing is pure basketball like a skinny dude, with a 'fro, scooping in a soft reverse layup.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

T-fro and K-fro. I am so liking this! Hopefully we can recruit someone whos name starts with A.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

As I have related before, I sported a fully blown fro my freshman and sophomore years. I packed a pitch fork. I stood under my own shade. I was capable of having birds build nests on my head without my knowledge.

And I happen to recall one straight haired fellow getting permed just to to have a 'fro, because he said that if African American's could process their hair straight, there was no reason a Caucasian American should not perm their hair curly.

Such were the kinds of operant logic in the early 1970s.

It is, therefore, my expert opinion that Cin needs to perm Bill, Kurtis Townsend needs to let the process go and let the 'fro grow--one last time, K-Fro needs to let it grow into a fully blown 'fro, again, Tyshawn needs to let it 'fro for the first time, but due to his reliance on speed, he must sculpt it to hold down his aero coefficient, so that he can keep slicing the paint at his usual light speeed. But the most important player who must partake in this Fro-restoration is Thomas Robinson. Studies were done by famed sociologist Harry Edwards at Cal in the 70s that showed that a fully blown 'fro, something bald Harry could never have hoped to grow, actually reduced brain concussions in Cal football players. So: in today's XTReme Rebounding, TRob could actually reduce the risk of brain trauma during the whistle swallowing stretchs drive the ladies wild beyond his most heated imaginings.

Okay, okay, so Harry Edwards never did any research on Afros and there is no proof a 'fro can prevent concussions. Mr. Twain, he made me write a stretcher. But it were a good one, were'ent it?

But back to the point I have relentlessly digressed from.

Self needs to go 'Fro!

It will drive Dick Vitale into a deep green and riddle him with envy beyond his most heated imaginings.

kennethst 3 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate you need to post a photo of your 70's "Fro"!!

Self is immensely talented.....but even he could not pull off the "fro"

A scotch from the north western highlands tonight.....a beautiful drink is whiskey!!

captku 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey, if RussRob can get his fro on ...

kennethst 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes.....I too don't like this "KY" nickname .......obviously reminds me of Kentucky and of course something else. K-Fro is good.

And yes.....I'm bored and need a life........but still......."KY" needs to go!!

Kevin Studer 3 years, 5 months ago

Kevin Garnett was rail thin most of his career. Kevin Durant still is. So Kevin Young can stay as thin as he wants, so long as he can play.

kennethst 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm too distracted by the picture to respond properly or argue the "KY" issue. Men are ill-equipped to handle photos like this.....and women know it!!! They know it!!!

Ah well.....there is nothing to be done about it.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

"Some Ways We Know the Game Will Be Getting Rougher Again this Season:"

~OakvilleJHawk commissioned to design first bullet proof back boards in D1 history for beloved AFH.

~OakvilleJHawk also commissioned to design carbon fiber pungy sticks that pop up through the floor in the paint to make opposing teams pay the price for going airborne in the lane.

~Tom Izzo reputedly having a week of scrimmages where all his players play armed with .22-caliber, rim-fire pistols and high voltage cattle prods.

~Coach Consonants reputedly is teaching his players to XTReme Cheap Shot with concertina wire.

~NCAA issuing referees edible whistles this season, so refs can not only swallow their whistles, but completely digetst them, too.

~In restoring Maryland to power, Mark Turgeon will tear a page not from Gary Williams old primer on how to cross body block in transition, but rather from the CIA's legendary DIY torture manual, now the largest selling book ever with most death squads from trained at private contractor firms.

~Dallas city leaders are talking of starting a November tournament called the Dealy Plaza Invitational to be played on the anniversary of the JFK assassination.

~A prisoner's rights group calling itself Prison Body Rights, has announced that even incarcerated psychopathic killers are unwilling to play exhibition games against West Virginia.

~The NCAA has advised D1 schools to replace team trainers with team surgeons and the NCAA advises that D1 schools find team surgeons with experience with gunshot wounds in combat.

~Lawrence blood banks are stocking up for Late Night.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

prairiehawk 3 years, 5 months ago

OK, I understand the frustration that UA coach Fisher is experiencing, BUT COME coach, you are right smack in the middle of some of the best college basketball recruitng areas in the country. You have Southern California (especially LA and San Diego), go north to Oregon and Washington, or just east to Nevada, and Arizona is not a stretch!! Even Old Mexico, how about the tough guard on the University of California (he gave KU fits last season). Why heck you don't even have to board a plane, just take the company car. HOW much is that total population 30,000,000+ and you only have EIGHT schollies given right now! Stop whinning over spilled milk and go recruit and sign four or five players. NO WAY can you say there aren't that many quality players around the west coast. Most likely there are a number of kids that would de-committ to SDSU for the right opportunity, as well as some late quaifiers! BTW - Don't play the crappola, " oh man did HCBS steal me blind, the kid was NOT sign/sealed&delivered,' and the kid reportedly made the iniatial inquiry. You have the numbers out there and you should be more than fine. Lastly, I really think your program is coming along and will be very good - very soon, so stop the crying and fire-up the recruitng machine, you're too good for whinning!

Scott Smetana 3 years, 5 months ago

I just read you link. I like how the article is factual and goes over exactly what happened. There is no story here, period. KU did no wrong. If this is our 'new low', we'll take it. If you want to see low, go check out our neighbors in Mizzery or anywhere Calisleezy has been.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

VooooooooooooooooBLAM!
Bulk up... dont bulk up.... you'll be faster if you stay skinny and play the tall 3.... I seem to recall a 4 who played the tall three very well and was bulky... Derrick Williams. I would kill to have a Derrick Williams like player to start at big with TRob. Averaging a double-double at LMU and still being a currently sninny, 6-8 swingman he shows potential to almost be like Williams.