Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pair commits to Kansas football

The Kansas University football program picked up a pair of commitments from the Class of 2012 on Saturday.

One came from the top offensive lineman in the state and the other in the form of a player from Camden, Ark., whom many say could be a big-time sleeper.

Brian Beckmann, a 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle from Blue Valley West High, was the first to orally commit to Kansas on Saturday. He’s ranked by Rivals.com as the top offensive lineman in the state.

KU assistant Reggie Mitchell was the lead recruiter for Beckmann and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes also added to the effort.

“Coach Mitchell has always been great with us,” Beckmann told Rivals.com. “He made sure we were always taken care of. I liked working with coach Grimes. I felt really comfortable around him.”

Derek Keaton, a 5-10, 165-pound burner from Fairview High in Camden, Ark., also was in town this weekend. After an impressive showing Friday night, the Jayhawks offered Keaton a scholarship Saturday morning. He committed immediately.

Keaton, who has been clocked in the 4.4-second range in the 40-yard dash, worked out at both wide receiver and defensive back. Keaton had offers from Mississippi and Missouri State. He was scheduled to attend Arkansas’ Elite Camp later this summer but told Rivals.com on Saturday that he would not.

“I was going to go but I am not now,” Keaton said. “I am committed to Kansas and I am excited about it.”

Comments

Ludwig Supraphonic 8 years, 7 months ago

Welcome!!!! Size in the O line and speed in the skill positions. Just what we need. Great to win the local recruit.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

Bring 'em in Coach Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Joseph 8 years, 7 months ago

That's a pretty BFD to pick KU over the likes of Nebraska and Oklahoma.... and Duke.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

Check your reading retention. K State gave him an "offer" the other schools showed "interest."

KGphoto 8 years, 7 months ago

If you are #1 in the state, you're a talented kid. If Alabama, Oklahoma and Nebraska are showing interest, you're a talented kid. Those schools generally send about 2 OL a year to the NFL. Did they offer (yet)? No. But do those schools think he could play for them? Yes. Why else would you even show interest?

I've never seen such unfounded hatred toward a coach or a program. Do you think Nebraska is ever going to be a basketball power? It's never gonna happen. Alabama? Never! They are never going to land top recruiting classes for basketball, and KU is never going to be in contention for the top players in football. EVER! Gill is doing as well recruiting here as anybody ever has. Give it a rest hater.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

The number 1 ranked ot in kansas equals to not even the top 80 nationally.

Oh, and Trevor Lacey just called and suggested that you not use Alabama basketball as an example

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, and some times a Barry Sanders comes along, or a Nolan Cromwell. Just because a Kansas Player isn't highly rated doesn't mean they are not going to be good.

KGphoto 8 years, 7 months ago

Dude! That's one guy who has the Brock Berglund home sickness x10. Do you think they'll be in the Sweet 16 because of him? Do you consider Alabama a contender now? No. You don't.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 7 months ago

The article says, "Beckmann chose KU over an offer from Kansas State. Alabama, Duke, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oklahoma and Wisconsin also showed interest." Looks to me like he had offers from all but Wisconsin which showed interest.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

5-10 165 pfffffff! With the undersized guys we recruit Victor Ortiz may be able to join our football team while he is finishing school.

And stop it with the "speed" takes. Do you guys think the south schools are recruiting a bunch of 4.9 guys?!?

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 7 months ago

Oregon is fast and undersized. Maybe we won't be faster than the south schools, but we will be AS fast. That makes us competitive already. You can't tackle a guy you can't catch, and you can't get to the endzone without a good dose of speed.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

True story. I took phys and struggled early. Spent endless amounts of time with the professor and ga's trying to get it. until one day the professor asked me what my major was. I told him and he said "dude you're going to use physics about as much as you're going to use you're psychology degree. Just short term memory this stuff"

Got an A!

Mike Suellentrop 8 years, 7 months ago

Charles Gordon says hi. Good recruits don't have to have NFL size two month before their senior season in HIGH SCHOOL. More evidence of your football ignorance.

TwistedFish31 8 years, 7 months ago

My guess is Keaton is about 2" taller than you alphtasholexperience. And what, about 200 lbs lighter? Living your life to come to the KU boards to post your pitiful little girl rants are pathetic.

truefan 8 years, 7 months ago

Well he got offered by Ole Miss and last I checked they are in the SEC. He was supposed to camp at Arkansas this weekend and backed out after he committed here.

So now that we are beating out SEC teams for recruits are you going to stop beating the 'look at his offer list' horse?

mondhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

could you please add something constructive to a thread once in a while. I starting to think your just a d$ck. you obviously don't know sh$t

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

I can walk through the mall and find 6ft 300lbs. And olympic sprinters are fast. But guess what is missing?

TALENT!!!!!!!!!

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 7 months ago

I will admit I am not jumping up and down about Keaton because he is small, but I do like speed. I am not sure if it equates to skills at the D1 level yet so I do have my reservations.

I am big on the OL get because he is the top guy in state and these are the type of guys we need. I get the idea overall we are going for size and speed, and I guess we will take chances on guys who are faster. I am hoping that if we improve as a team(which will need to mean the wins and losses column) that we can get more guys with more prestige, but we will be taking more chances on guys for now. We are a long ways away from being OU or UT so we will unfortunately have to take chances on diamonds in the rough. We need to hope our current freshman class shines so we know talent is here, but we need to win so more talent will arrive. This is a big year for Coach Gill one way or another.

Tad Shurtz 8 years, 7 months ago

Pretty much everybody who was at Elite Camp this weekend said that Keaton dominated it. Also, he's not really small for a cornerback at all. He just needs to add weight.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Jerry Rice, Miles Austin, Tony Romo, TO, and many many more have gone on to be understood as some of the best players of their time now and in History. Jerry rice is considered the best football player of all time. That list of guys are guys who didn't even go to BCS schools. All went to either D1AA (FCS?) or D2. Just because a site says he is only a three star or whatever doesn't mean he will be talentless. Every powerhouse has to start will hardly any "talent" and move on up. Now saying that, Ive notice gill is going for Raw players. With gills style, we will need to best coaching. and I don't under stand your 6ft 300 pound. The kid is 6-6, you wont find many of those. Anytime major schools show interest, you know he might be something. Don't have to be offered to get noticed.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

"I can walk through the mall and find 6ft 300lbs."

This is easily the dumbest comment I've ever seen. We all lost brain cells having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

I disagree with almost all your football talk and agree with all your basketball. Now saying that, this was a very clever post.

Dan Harris 8 years, 7 months ago

what your missing will take you pulling your head out of your ass!

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 7 months ago

Just wish Gill could bring in some D-linemen like he does O-linemen. We need some D-ends and D-tackles like it's nobodys business.

KGphoto 8 years, 7 months ago

Remember, he doesn't recruit DLs. He recruits DEs with speed, and turns them into DLs. Have you seen Kevin Young lately? He's huge. Everybody generally moves up a notch on Defense. A corner becomes a safety, a safety a linebacker, linebacker to DE, DE to DL.

That said, we have a few guys I like on DL right now. Williams, Young, Johnson, and Dorsey. I think they'll be able to create a little havoc in middle, and this new defense is going to revolve around it's depth, Keba and Lewandowski will undoubtedly provide some of that depth at DL when Reynolds steals one of the DE positions.

KGphoto 8 years, 7 months ago

Also, with that glut of OL guys, I would bet that one or two will get a try on the defensive side by the end of the year.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 7 months ago

Kgphoto - I hope you're right. Also - with more depth in the secondary and at line-backer...it's possible that adjust to a 3-4 defense...since our D-line isn't as talented or deep.