Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tait

DP, AJ’ Kansas football video clever concept

With the start of football season still three months away, Kansas University seniors Daymond Patterson and AJ Steward dreamed up an idea to keep them busy and entertain their friends and fans at the same time.

But not everybody found the idea amusing.

Earlier this week, Patterson and Steward revealed the debut of their Internet reality show “DP and AJ Take On KU.”

First up was a penalty-kick shootout against two members of KU’s women’s soccer team. At first, the six-minute video created a buzz among KU fans, those lauding its entertainment value and laughing their butts off at the soccer, um, skills of the two football players.

Thanks to some timely shots and clutch goaltending, Patterson and Steward won the challenge by a goal. While they talked and laughed throughout the challenge, they saved the best for last. With his shirt pulled up over his head, Steward raced down the field in celebration. One problem: He ran head-first into one of the video cameras and sliced open his forehead.

The freak accident only added to the video’s popularity, and by midday Thursday, the clip had gone viral — more than 5,000 views and counting — and made its way to ESPN, where analyst Mark May and “College Football Live” host Erin Andrews showed part of the video.

Unfortunately, May couldn’t stop there. Instead of crediting Patterson and Steward for making it onto the network for something other than a scandal, May felt it necessary to take a shot at KU and question why coach Turner Gill would let them do this in the first place. He then questioned why the two Jayhawks were wasting their time with women’s soccer.

“I’d say, ‘Act like you’ve been there,’” May said on the air. “But they were 3-9 last year, what do you expect? Not only that, why don’t you take on the men’s basketball team. Those guys are 6-3, 230-250. They’re going against girls that are, like, 5-8, 160. That’s a mismatch. It’s not fair.”

Close. Steward’s 6-3, 233, but Patterson stands just 5-9, 173. But that’s not really the point. Clearly, by taking the serious approach to all this, May missed the point entirely. It would’ve been nice if he could’ve seen it for what it was. Offseason fun. College. A couple of amateur athletes making headlines for the right reason.

Patterson and Steward responded to May’s criticism with a mock news conference in which they challenged May to a debate in any sport he’d like.

On Friday’s episode of “College Football Live,” May did not back down from his arrogant tone. Instead, he rattled off some accolades from his playing days, decades ago, as if that were supposed to intimidate the Jayhawks. Then he accepted the challenge.

Not surprisingly, Patterson and Steward are in.

“Tell him we are 100% down,” Steward posted on Twitter.

“We ready,” Patterson wrote.

So the stage is set. Patterson and Steward will debate May in Bristol, Conn., sometime before fall camp.

May might have the professional polish, but my money’s on the guys who don’t take themselves too seriously.

In the meantime, rumor has it that the next episode of “DP and AJ Take On KU” will feature the men’s basketball team. Oh boy.

Comments

JHWKDW 2 years, 10 months ago

Well its better than what happened at Ohio State,or us making the headlines like Missouri did last season with their running back and raping a gal,well I will say Pinkel handled it the right way,or better yet remember couple years back the Tennesee players involved in a attempted robbery.If this is so horrible to Mark May or anyone else I say bring it!Like I said dont want this action to be common place or them taking on the B-Ball team but in comparison to what happened in the other schools this is nothing!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 10 months ago

Love it! This is exactly what we need. This kind of fun-loving don't take yourself seriously mentality is what will get us to play loose.

troutsee 2 years, 10 months ago

I wrote Lou Holtz off when he began appearing on Sean Hannity's show. What purity! I kind of like Mark May but I think he is OTL on this issue.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 10 months ago

Not that i liked Mark May but i used to love watching him debate and piss lou holtz off. They often turned into shouting matches......now its gonna be hard to watch either of them jack@$$E$.

JHWKDW 2 years, 10 months ago

It was a bit goofy and a bit reckless dont get me wrong!

But at looking at this in comparison to what had happened at Ohio State and other criminal acts at other schools this is like apples and oranges to say the least!Should they be doing more incidents like that no!But let them have some responsible safe fun!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Listen, I can see how some of you are playing the "kids having fun" card but it should not have been let out of the jayhawk bubble that most of you live in. Inside the bubble it looks like kids having fun (full disclosure, i have ran across that same field naked while my friends watched from the dorms) but to the rest of the world it looks like we are a bunch of @$$clowns that stink on and off the field.

And yes I do believe that these kids should stay in the weight room and on the football field. I'm no doctor (but I did stay at a holiday inn last night) but 1/2 of an inch lower and aj is talking about missing a year of football due to an serious eye injury. Or what if next weeks headline reads T-Rob blows acl while filming a segment agains aj and dp. He won't cause no way will hcbs let his big dogs play against to football players. Watch it will be either some scrubs playing or something like a game of horse.

But obviously my voice is falling on deaf ears so I will change my tone. No longer will I tell you that as an athlete there are just some things that you don't get to do. Go for it boys! Do your thing! Matter of fact since you guys are blowing up I suggest you take on a couple of NFL'ers. That's right, next week should be dp and aj take on ben and kellen. Motorcycle Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blake McFarland 2 years, 10 months ago

Mark May hates KU. He hated them in 2007 and still does. Even if DP and AJ do show him up he won't admit it because his ego is way to big.

ku1otaku 2 years, 10 months ago

Where can I find these videos?

ku1otaku 2 years, 10 months ago

So, are all the videos going to be featured on CoachTurnerGill.com?

Ethan Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

Mark May proved how big of an idiot he is. I like how he said he would challenge them to swimming. As a former swimmer, I think the guy is a complete tool to think swimming is so easy. If you are fat and out of shape like him, you would die. If im DJ or AJ, id challenge to 500 yards, watch him have a heart attack after a 100. Plus was it just me or was he bashing women's sports on national television? seemed he didn't respect women's soccer much. Also after what he said, I hope it lights a fire under the players butt.

Ray March 2 years, 10 months ago

Mark May is a tool. Nobody cares about his opinion. He also hates KU. In 2007 when our football team only lost 1 game to a top 5 MU all season and climbed to #2 nationally, only May kept hating on KU and picking against us every week. Everyone else talked about how good we were.

His opinion is irrelevant. He's an idiot.

100 2 years, 10 months ago

This is all great pub. Love the attitudes in the video, shows some summer fun.

And the running into the cameraman is hilarious.

Hey if running into a camera gets all of the Florida, Texas & California recruits checking out CoachTurnerGill.com, I'm all for it.

As Ahperusuallyrainsonourparade said the other day, props to Turner Gill. After reading the article about his upbringing, one can see how Turner really has ingrained his riches of a respectful upbringing into his profession.

It's no wonder he's winning the head to head recruiting battles against Mizzou, Check Writer Synder, Pelini & against the entire state of Iowa so far.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

Isn't it interesting that Mark May "tries" to make College Football that only "smart" people are involved with. He pretends to be very educated. I think a lot of Lou Holtz, but I've never been a fan of his gameday cast. Why I bring this up, is Mark always loses to Lou in every single debate....like Mark could debate anyways.

I agree this was actually good solid fun as long as the gals were not there after 10 pm...than they would have broken one of the football rules.

KGphoto 2 years, 10 months ago

Come to think of it, I actually think the entire thing with May is a hoax. I still hate the guy, but you know how they put on those fake courtroom scenes and debate a topic in college football? It's ridiculous. I'm guessing that's how this debate is going to come off. A cheap gimmick.

KGphoto 2 years, 10 months ago

You know May never gets invited anywhere. I'd bet my life that the whole room gets quiet and everybody goes on break when he walks in the office.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 10 months ago

And on top of that, it gives a little pub to the womens' soccer team, even though the boys won the shootout. What would May have preferred, the boys moping in the lockerroom because they had a tough season last year? I work up the hill from the practice field, and trust me, the boys have been getting their reps out on the field. And oh yeah, I guess AJ and DP are just athletes who should be focusing solely on athletics instead being...oh what's that word...STUDENTS who enjoy their experience in college. Good luck this season boys and in your next challenge. Something tells me this one might no go as well in the win column. I will be tuning in for sure!

coachmatt 2 years, 10 months ago

What's the word on Derek Keaton? All-Purpose Back from Arkansas that verbally committed

Keith Hummel 2 years, 10 months ago

Of course I always hate to disagree with ahperrainoneverybodysparade, but I think this video is a stroke of genius. It's clearly all in fun, and not intended to be taken seriously on any level. Anyone that thinks they can draw conclusions about anything based on this video is clearly missing the point or is simply humor impaired. It shows these guys are having fun and they have a sense of humor. It also draws attention to some of the lesser known sports on the hill, and puts the Jayhawk football program center stage on sports center. I know ahperihateallthingsturnergillrelated will spin it as a negative, but you really have to have a giant corn cob stuck in your tailpipe not to get the value of this. Kudos to DP, AJ, and the AD. It'll be tough to top this first video, but I look forward to he next installment.

phoggydrive 2 years, 10 months ago

It's obvious, Mark May needs more fiber in his diet.

NorthStarHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Mark May is a self-loving, self-centered egomaniacal ass. I can't believe ESPN takes himself seriously as a media professional. Apparently, he has nothing better to do with his time; it's obvious his intellectual prowess limits him from providing more substantiative reporting and analysis of college football. He has always been a hater of KU. Its sad, but this is what happens when you are dropped on your head at birth.

Maxandwillie 2 years, 10 months ago

The video and the concept are both funny. I prefer the adage take what you do seriously but not yourself. The players seem to get that but Mark May does not. I am looking forward to the upcoming videos. In particular I want to see them challenge the crew team, golf, and tennis. Sports where they are likely to look ridiculous.

rockchalknation 2 years, 10 months ago

"E" Enjoy the college experience. Lighten up a little bit. Glad to see these guys having a little fun and engaging in some creative activities with other teams within the athletic department. Training camp rolls around in August before you know it for all the athletes. Work hard, be safe, have fun.

waywardJay 2 years, 10 months ago

Something to be said for our internet Video dynamic Duo.

For those who don't follow Soccer..... Defenders and Goaltenders rarely if Ever SHOOT penalty Kicks. Had a Forward or Midfielder taken these shots, it would have been no challenge..... Like say....

Two Journalists challenging a Men's basketball Player to a game of horse.... Oh wait that actually happened....

But Kudos to both DP And AJ, It was in the guise of fun which is something we should be praising them for. Good clean fun, and clearly all involved enjoyed this. Well Clean fun until AJ Pulled a Selby on the Camera Guy. Good Work DP And Get Healthy AJ.

Joe Joseph 2 years, 10 months ago

Mark May is an @$$ and was a hater of the '07 team... which, by the way, AJ Steward was a part of. So, I guess he has "been there" before... d*ck.

roosey 2 years, 10 months ago

People put way too much pressure on college students (ESPECIALLY college athletes) to take life seriously and act 100 percent professional all the time. Life is too short to be like that. Live your life.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Ummmmmmmm yeah! I could of told you this would not look good on a national level, oh wait I DID! If you're 9-3 and this vid comes out it's funny stuff. But do it when you're 3-9 and it makes everyone involved look like clowns.

This is purely on whoever (in the ad office) set the interview up. Of course the kids want this to go "viral" and get their 15 minutes but someone needs to jump in and protect not only the kids but the reputation of the team (not that it could be much worse).

As for dp and aj I hope your play on the field justifies all of this wasted time off of it!!!

phi4life940 2 years, 10 months ago

Great article Tait. I thought many KUSports followers were also being too critical of this innocent act. To hear Mark May went a step further angers me. Too bad his comments make him look terrible. Thanks for defending our guys.

Keep up with the good, clean fun AJ & DP! Most KU fans I have talked to love the video and can't wait for more!

Rock Chalk!