Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tait

DP, AJ’ Kansas football video clever concept

With the start of football season still three months away, Kansas University seniors Daymond Patterson and AJ Steward dreamed up an idea to keep them busy and entertain their friends and fans at the same time.

But not everybody found the idea amusing.

Earlier this week, Patterson and Steward revealed the debut of their Internet reality show “DP and AJ Take On KU.”

First up was a penalty-kick shootout against two members of KU’s women’s soccer team. At first, the six-minute video created a buzz among KU fans, those lauding its entertainment value and laughing their butts off at the soccer, um, skills of the two football players.

Thanks to some timely shots and clutch goaltending, Patterson and Steward won the challenge by a goal. While they talked and laughed throughout the challenge, they saved the best for last. With his shirt pulled up over his head, Steward raced down the field in celebration. One problem: He ran head-first into one of the video cameras and sliced open his forehead.

The freak accident only added to the video’s popularity, and by midday Thursday, the clip had gone viral — more than 5,000 views and counting — and made its way to ESPN, where analyst Mark May and “College Football Live” host Erin Andrews showed part of the video.

Unfortunately, May couldn’t stop there. Instead of crediting Patterson and Steward for making it onto the network for something other than a scandal, May felt it necessary to take a shot at KU and question why coach Turner Gill would let them do this in the first place. He then questioned why the two Jayhawks were wasting their time with women’s soccer.

“I’d say, ‘Act like you’ve been there,’” May said on the air. “But they were 3-9 last year, what do you expect? Not only that, why don’t you take on the men’s basketball team. Those guys are 6-3, 230-250. They’re going against girls that are, like, 5-8, 160. That’s a mismatch. It’s not fair.”

Close. Steward’s 6-3, 233, but Patterson stands just 5-9, 173. But that’s not really the point. Clearly, by taking the serious approach to all this, May missed the point entirely. It would’ve been nice if he could’ve seen it for what it was. Offseason fun. College. A couple of amateur athletes making headlines for the right reason.

Patterson and Steward responded to May’s criticism with a mock news conference in which they challenged May to a debate in any sport he’d like.

On Friday’s episode of “College Football Live,” May did not back down from his arrogant tone. Instead, he rattled off some accolades from his playing days, decades ago, as if that were supposed to intimidate the Jayhawks. Then he accepted the challenge.

Not surprisingly, Patterson and Steward are in.

“Tell him we are 100% down,” Steward posted on Twitter.

“We ready,” Patterson wrote.

So the stage is set. Patterson and Steward will debate May in Bristol, Conn., sometime before fall camp.

May might have the professional polish, but my money’s on the guys who don’t take themselves too seriously.

In the meantime, rumor has it that the next episode of “DP and AJ Take On KU” will feature the men’s basketball team. Oh boy.

Comments

phi4life940 3 years, 3 months ago

Great article Tait. I thought many KUSports followers were also being too critical of this innocent act. To hear Mark May went a step further angers me. Too bad his comments make him look terrible. Thanks for defending our guys.

Keep up with the good, clean fun AJ & DP! Most KU fans I have talked to love the video and can't wait for more!

Rock Chalk!

phi4life940 3 years, 3 months ago

See Exhibit A - ahpersecoachingexperience's comment below.....

Good thing he/she isn't a coach or involved in sports at any college level or else the student athletes would apparently be slaves who aren't allowed to do anything but work out and practice the sport they play.

I expected better from KU fans.....

Chris Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

I gotta agree with you. Usually apperse has some points but this story is kids having FUN in college. College is suppose to be fun and a learning experience not just work work work! Comeon man! Give the kids time to have fun and be kids!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Ummmmmmmm yeah! I could of told you this would not look good on a national level, oh wait I DID! If you're 9-3 and this vid comes out it's funny stuff. But do it when you're 3-9 and it makes everyone involved look like clowns.

This is purely on whoever (in the ad office) set the interview up. Of course the kids want this to go "viral" and get their 15 minutes but someone needs to jump in and protect not only the kids but the reputation of the team (not that it could be much worse).

As for dp and aj I hope your play on the field justifies all of this wasted time off of it!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

And wait 'till Daniel Tosh gets ahold of it

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Seriously. He will be lampooning them to all 12 people who watch his show.

lv_jhwk 3 years, 3 months ago

It would still be oh-so-much-better than this clip from our in-state brethren to the west:

JHawkInVeins 3 years, 3 months ago

It is the SUMMER. They work out, have class, and have free time. They aren't out doing something stupid. They are having fun. Making the video isn't taking away from anything. Get a life.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 3 months ago

Get a life superkalifragilisticexpealidocious!

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 3 months ago

I thought you were the one with the sense of humor?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

most are laughing at these guys. not with!

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 3 months ago

No they aren't, relax. They're laughing at (not with) that KSU moron with the purple panties shakin' his thang on Tosh.o.

Jhawk100 3 years, 3 months ago

It looks bad on a 'national level' because one moron who takes himself WAAAAAY to seriously (Mark May) is such a dufus that he can't see the humor in it? Not sure who the bigger dufus is, you or Mark May now that I think about it. It's a couple of college age kids having fun doing what many do now days. Give it a rest.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

google "dufus" and a video of an out of shape tightend running into a camera comes up!

Ethan Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

Okay so I always read how you think its so stupid that Gill doesn't allow girls late at night, and you take a shot like this? Why let college kids have fun? Seems dumb aye?

ajmag 3 years, 3 months ago

what would you prefer in the news? this, or a brawl with the basketball team? get over yourself

roosey 3 years, 3 months ago

People put way too much pressure on college students (ESPECIALLY college athletes) to take life seriously and act 100 percent professional all the time. Life is too short to be like that. Live your life.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 3 months ago

Mark May is an @$$ and was a hater of the '07 team... which, by the way, AJ Steward was a part of. So, I guess he has "been there" before... d*ck.

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

if memory serves so was DP.... wasn't he the one Mangino blew a gasket over witht he punt return TD?

Kyle Crenshaw 3 years, 3 months ago

nah i think that was raymond pendleton

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't know how I could get Raymond Pendleton confused with Daymond Patterson......

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

Something to be said for our internet Video dynamic Duo.

For those who don't follow Soccer..... Defenders and Goaltenders rarely if Ever SHOOT penalty Kicks. Had a Forward or Midfielder taken these shots, it would have been no challenge..... Like say....

Two Journalists challenging a Men's basketball Player to a game of horse.... Oh wait that actually happened....

But Kudos to both DP And AJ, It was in the guise of fun which is something we should be praising them for. Good clean fun, and clearly all involved enjoyed this. Well Clean fun until AJ Pulled a Selby on the Camera Guy. Good Work DP And Get Healthy AJ.

parrothead8 3 years, 3 months ago

Not to mention, the female goalkeeper clearly didn't even try on a couple of the shots. It was pretty evident on the video that everyone was just having fun. I guess Mark May thinks that every collegiate athlete should be 100% business all the time, and shouldn't have fun unless they win more games than they lose. What a dillweed.

rockchalknation 3 years, 3 months ago

"E" Enjoy the college experience. Lighten up a little bit. Glad to see these guys having a little fun and engaging in some creative activities with other teams within the athletic department. Training camp rolls around in August before you know it for all the athletes. Work hard, be safe, have fun.

Maxandwillie 3 years, 3 months ago

The video and the concept are both funny. I prefer the adage take what you do seriously but not yourself. The players seem to get that but Mark May does not. I am looking forward to the upcoming videos. In particular I want to see them challenge the crew team, golf, and tennis. Sports where they are likely to look ridiculous.

NorthStarHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Mark May is a self-loving, self-centered egomaniacal ass. I can't believe ESPN takes himself seriously as a media professional. Apparently, he has nothing better to do with his time; it's obvious his intellectual prowess limits him from providing more substantiative reporting and analysis of college football. He has always been a hater of KU. Its sad, but this is what happens when you are dropped on your head at birth.

DJay23 3 years, 3 months ago

Mark May hates everything but the Pitt Panthers (who have been pretty lame for a few decades). I honestly can't remember a time where I've seen him praise a team or player without adding some self serving caveat. This is why I usually end up muting him or changing the channel.

phoggydrive 3 years, 3 months ago

It's obvious, Mark May needs more fiber in his diet.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

totally stealing those names next time i get, errrrrrrr i mean, if i ever get kicked off the boards and have to come back with a new name

TwistedFish31 3 years, 3 months ago

Most are laughing at you, not with you ahpheral;joanghasd. Still not sure what kind of pathetic loser spends his days and nights doing nothing but trying to think of thigs to write on a rival school's boards? I guess you define that pathetic loser little boy.

Coach-Matt Koelling 3 years, 3 months ago

What's the word on Derek Keaton? All-Purpose Back from Arkansas that verbally committed

Matt Tait 3 years, 3 months ago

Solid player. Heard from several different people that he was a beast at the KU camp this weekend. Think he could be a nice player with potential to be a difference maker at corner while also returning kicks.

Still has to get here and then he has to pan out, but this looks like a solid get for Coach Gill and company.

I'll try to get more on him soon.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

We also got a hog at o line, 6-6 280. That is a big big boy. Derek Keaton is clocked at 4.4, once again, gill is adding some major speed.

CardHawkFan 3 years, 3 months ago

And on top of that, it gives a little pub to the womens' soccer team, even though the boys won the shootout. What would May have preferred, the boys moping in the lockerroom because they had a tough season last year? I work up the hill from the practice field, and trust me, the boys have been getting their reps out on the field. And oh yeah, I guess AJ and DP are just athletes who should be focusing solely on athletics instead being...oh what's that word...STUDENTS who enjoy their experience in college. Good luck this season boys and in your next challenge. Something tells me this one might no go as well in the win column. I will be tuning in for sure!

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

You know May never gets invited anywhere. I'd bet my life that the whole room gets quiet and everybody goes on break when he walks in the office.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Come to think of it, I actually think the entire thing with May is a hoax. I still hate the guy, but you know how they put on those fake courtroom scenes and debate a topic in college football? It's ridiculous. I'm guessing that's how this debate is going to come off. A cheap gimmick.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 3 months ago

Isn't it interesting that Mark May "tries" to make College Football that only "smart" people are involved with. He pretends to be very educated. I think a lot of Lou Holtz, but I've never been a fan of his gameday cast. Why I bring this up, is Mark always loses to Lou in every single debate....like Mark could debate anyways.

I agree this was actually good solid fun as long as the gals were not there after 10 pm...than they would have broken one of the football rules.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

This is all great pub. Love the attitudes in the video, shows some summer fun.

And the running into the cameraman is hilarious.

Hey if running into a camera gets all of the Florida, Texas & California recruits checking out CoachTurnerGill.com, I'm all for it.

As Ahperusuallyrainsonourparade said the other day, props to Turner Gill. After reading the article about his upbringing, one can see how Turner really has ingrained his riches of a respectful upbringing into his profession.

It's no wonder he's winning the head to head recruiting battles against Mizzou, Check Writer Synder, Pelini & against the entire state of Iowa so far.

Ray March 3 years, 3 months ago

Mark May is a tool. Nobody cares about his opinion. He also hates KU. In 2007 when our football team only lost 1 game to a top 5 MU all season and climbed to #2 nationally, only May kept hating on KU and picking against us every week. Everyone else talked about how good we were.

His opinion is irrelevant. He's an idiot.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

Mark May proved how big of an idiot he is. I like how he said he would challenge them to swimming. As a former swimmer, I think the guy is a complete tool to think swimming is so easy. If you are fat and out of shape like him, you would die. If im DJ or AJ, id challenge to 500 yards, watch him have a heart attack after a 100. Plus was it just me or was he bashing women's sports on national television? seemed he didn't respect women's soccer much. Also after what he said, I hope it lights a fire under the players butt.

ku1otaku 3 years, 3 months ago

So, are all the videos going to be featured on CoachTurnerGill.com?

ku1otaku 3 years, 3 months ago

Where can I find these videos?

Blake McFarland 3 years, 3 months ago

Mark May hates KU. He hated them in 2007 and still does. Even if DP and AJ do show him up he won't admit it because his ego is way to big.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Listen, I can see how some of you are playing the "kids having fun" card but it should not have been let out of the jayhawk bubble that most of you live in. Inside the bubble it looks like kids having fun (full disclosure, i have ran across that same field naked while my friends watched from the dorms) but to the rest of the world it looks like we are a bunch of @$$clowns that stink on and off the field.

And yes I do believe that these kids should stay in the weight room and on the football field. I'm no doctor (but I did stay at a holiday inn last night) but 1/2 of an inch lower and aj is talking about missing a year of football due to an serious eye injury. Or what if next weeks headline reads T-Rob blows acl while filming a segment agains aj and dp. He won't cause no way will hcbs let his big dogs play against to football players. Watch it will be either some scrubs playing or something like a game of horse.

But obviously my voice is falling on deaf ears so I will change my tone. No longer will I tell you that as an athlete there are just some things that you don't get to do. Go for it boys! Do your thing! Matter of fact since you guys are blowing up I suggest you take on a couple of NFL'ers. That's right, next week should be dp and aj take on ben and kellen. Motorcycle Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow, now you're concerned about the safety and amount of playing time for players you think are no good? Am I reading this right?!? If we're not careful, you'll end up defending KU football!!! Easy fellas...

Ethan Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

what if next week reads TRob tears acl in practice? The thing about injuries is they happen. If they were playing tackle football, then yes you would bring up a great point. But a shootout in soccer isn't dangerous. He could also hurt is eye in place like, a restaurant, a club, doing lawn work, and so on. If they are playing to rough, then yes it would be stupid. But there is nothing harmful about what happened, beside a silly mistake that could happen anywhere at anytime. The debate with Mark May shouldn't hurt anyone. And how does this make us look like clowns? I mean, i played soccer all the time in high school with the girls team. No body stopped by when they were driving and told me how big of a clown I looked. And actually the worst thing they can do is be in the weight Room and on the football field all the time. Its a break, when we start seeing rough housing, then we should get concerned.

bluehorse22 3 years, 3 months ago

F.Y.I. Our "big dog" players already play our football players on the court at the student rec. center all the time...I've witnessed their pick up games first hand many times. Do you really think they don't hang out together at least a little? You are just as bad as Mark May!! I would hate to hang with you and expect to have any fun because you are a real downer.

Also, our players ARE in the weight room and ON the football field all the time, all summer long. I live right by the stadium and they are always there for early morning workouts, etc. I would much rather see KU football on sports center for a hilarious video challenge than something like what Ohio St. is landing air time for. Like many others have said on this comments page...Get. A. Life...and get the stick out of your a$$!

Ethan Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

I wouldn't say it was reckless... But great points

Chris Bruning 3 years, 3 months ago

Not that i liked Mark May but i used to love watching him debate and piss lou holtz off. They often turned into shouting matches......now its gonna be hard to watch either of them jack@$$E$.

troutsee 3 years, 3 months ago

I wrote Lou Holtz off when he began appearing on Sean Hannity's show. What purity! I kind of like Mark May but I think he is OTL on this issue.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 3 months ago

Love it! This is exactly what we need. This kind of fun-loving don't take yourself seriously mentality is what will get us to play loose.