Friday, June 17, 2011

LMU transfer Kevin Young eyes KU basketball

photo

Kevin Young watches the alumni scrimmage during the Bill Self basketball game on Wednesday at Horejsi Center.

Former Loyola Marymount University basketball player Kevin Young, who attended classes at Barstow (Calif.) Community College during the 2010-11 school year, made an unofficial recruiting visit to Kansas University this week.

Young, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound forward out of Perris (Calif.) High, has two years of collegiate eligibility remaining. The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that he signed a financial aid agreement with San Diego State last November. Athletes are allowed to sign just one letter-of-intent per their college careers.

Young averaged 10.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game during his sophomore season at LMU after averaging 9.1 points and 7.2 boards his freshman season. He hit 45.4 percent of his shots in two seasons (242-533), including 27.3 percent of his threes (38-139). He owns freshman records at LMU for rebounds, steals and blocks.

He moved on to Barstow CC, where he also was a member of Reggie Howard’s coaching staff.

“He’s a tremendous athlete that plays above the rim,” Howard told sandiegostate.rivals.com. “He's a quiet kid. I call him the ‘Quiet Assassin.’ He's got speed and he plays at 100 percent. He's easy to coach and open to things. If he makes a mistake, he still plays hard. He’ll make several plays above the rim.”

Playing for Puerto Rico, Young averaged 7.7 points and 5.0 rebounds a game in the 2009 U19 World Championship in Auckland, New Zealand. He hit 55.2 percent of his shots overall and scored 18 points with 12 boards against Lithuania. Young, who reportedly is leaning heavily toward committing to KU, averaged 16.1 points and 10.8 rebounds and 3.7 blocks a game his senior season at Perris High.

Comments

waywardJay 8 years, 7 months ago

To those saying we need another big.... this is another Big.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

This is a very good player. Self will get more out of him in 2 years than the 6'8" guys Calipari signed for next year.

The reason? Young is already reported to be extremely coachable, athletic & a great team player. Also he's played two years of college ball so it will take him much less time to adjust to D 1 speed compared to Calipari's 18 year old OAD's.

By March, Calipari's 18 year old's are thinking about the draft.... While a solid player like Young at KU is focused on winning a national championship, & even building towards the following season's run....

If Steve Fisher recruited him, this is further confirmation Self has landed a diamond in the rough.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 7 months ago

Nobody has "landed" anybody. The kid has not chosen a school. This is exactly the same stuff people kept saying about how DD "will do great" at KU.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to ruin your parade.... But,

We landed him.

Ted Hume 8 years, 7 months ago

Is it safe to assume that Young would be a better get at this point than using a scholarship on Merv Lindsay?

Any comparative thoughts on the two, re: plus/minus?

waywardJay 8 years, 7 months ago

There can be only one person who will bring more to this university's basketball team than either of them.

Sign me, Coach. :)

Frankly I'm Okay with either kid. Neither appears to be a headcase, and either is likely a defensive piece and you can never have enough defensive pieces in basketball.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

You got it Jay!! Talk about fitting in at the right position!

ku1otaku 8 years, 7 months ago

Dude, seriously...this elitist attitude has got to go. Yeah, we're KU but we're not above taking certain guys just because they don't fit into some imaginary mold that you've created.

Andrew Washington 8 years, 7 months ago

well, roy was the first coach to bring kansas to back to back final fours since phog allen in 1952-53.

swjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

No--Ted Owens got us to the Final Four with Roger Morningstar et al. A guy named Larry Brown with a player named Danny Manning got us the Nat'l crown in 1988.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 7 months ago

He said back-to-back. Obviously other coaches took us to Final Fours. We're Kansas.

I recommend a reading comprehension course. He only wrote 20 words and you still couldn't manage to figure out what he was talking about.

Thomas Matlock 8 years, 7 months ago

How many national championships did Roy-boy win?...just sayin'

TwistedFish31 8 years, 7 months ago

Guys, Max is just a football fan and "obviously" knows nothing about basketball.

Self = National Championship Roy = Close but no cigar

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

...and the word "Kansas" or "KU" appear so frequently within his post.....

kesmithstl1 8 years, 7 months ago

and 1 of those rings with players from the previous regime!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Well, I guess he should throw that one away then, and just keep the OTHER one...

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Look people, the only reason why I responded about Roy's 2 titles is because I am absolutely tired of this "Roy v. Self" argument. It is a tired, tired argument and needs to finally be tossed into the shallow grave in which it belongs.

Am I happy that Bill Self is our coach? 120,000% Yes. Would I be happy if Roy was still here? Extraordinarily pleased, absolutely.

Why is this? Because both guys are top tier coaches. Two of the best in all of college basketball, and our humble little University is the only place on the face of the planet that can boast having had BOTH guys coach here. AND those two guys were preceded by the ONLY guy in the history of the entire sport to win titles at both the NBA and collegiate level.

We are absolutely blessed with the talent level we have had and continue to have, not just on the court, but those directing it off. Instead of arguing over who is a better recruiter, who had more disappointments, who won the bigger game, blah blah blah, why can't we take pleasure in the fact that we are KANSAS. Only THE BEST coach for us.

Just let the tired argument die already. Pull the plug; it has signed the DNR form.....

Andy Rieger 8 years, 7 months ago

Interesting to note when referencing Roy and recruiting: The all-decade team consisted of players from only 2 recruiting classes, the High School class of 1999 (Roy) and the High School class of (2005). Maybe KU does recruit in spurts...

actorman 8 years, 7 months ago

The numbers aren't exactly awe-inspiring, to say the least. But I trust Bill's judgment.

actorman 8 years, 7 months ago

You're right, Max. We've had a huge drop-off since Roy left, especially in '08.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 7 months ago

LOL! Surely not the worst, but once I checked in & out of a room there in under 10 minutes. You could have saddled the roaches & ridden them. Wasn't much selection either, so drove all the way to Vegas in the dead of night.

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of "in and out" did you get a burger there?

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

In'nOut...Double Double Animal Style!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I would stop off in Barstow to fill up on gas on a road trip to Vegas. You get out of the car and step directly into kiln. Luckily, I was carrying my unheated pottery in my backseat, so I left with a nice ceramic pot....

Seriously, I'm fairly certain they built that city ON the surface of the sun...

I believe Satan stopped off there once, but immediately drove away saying "Jesus, who could live in that hellhole."

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, PismoBeachKansasUSA.....East St. Louis, Illinois makes Barstow look like the French Riviera during the Cannes Film Festival. And I have the murder, rape, burglary and assault stats to prove it!!!

Take the word Hellhole and drop the hole...that's what it is.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I'd put Port Arthur, Tx up against any of them. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you," JayDocMD.

Lol - I wanted to put Columbia down earlier, just thought it was too obvious for this site. Shoulda known better. Well done sir.

waywardJay 8 years, 7 months ago

Nitpicking... It's not Carolina Blue..... it's Kansas City Royal blue. Contrary to popular belief, Basketball was not invent on Tobacco Road, and North Carolina is Joey to our Friends.

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

And I have to add my usual comment about Roy vs. Bill recruiting. Roy owned Iowa and got a few good CA boys. But he never tapped the East which is the best source for top players. Bill has brought in several top players from the East and recruits well nationally.

Jeremy Bolinger 8 years, 7 months ago

Roy got lucky to get Collison and Hinrich from Iowa. Make no mistake. Had there not been a coaching shakeup, we would've played them 2 times a year. Roy got LUCKY!!!!!

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

And Raef before them. I think Collison was solid for KU but Roy did get lucky on Hinrich due to the ISU shakeup. So, I have no problem saying Roy did well in Iowa. And Roy landed Pierce and Gooden out of CA, not to mention Cheno. But the East and the Chicago area are far more important--RussRob, Wright, Collins, Morris Twins, TRob, etc. So I still take Self hands down.

Viggo3003 8 years, 7 months ago

"...there he goes again!"

I thought you were opposed to the witty one-liners :)

jayhawker97 8 years, 7 months ago

pretty good 3-shooter for his size. will definitely complement our team. looks like a very nice kid.
but what happend to SDSU? didn't he sign with them already? anybody knows for sure?

Robin Smith 8 years, 7 months ago

He completed a financial aid agreement with SDSU, which is not binding, because after having signed a Letter Of Intent with LMU initially he is no longer allowed to sign another.

KJD 8 years, 7 months ago

Bam! A rabbit out of the hat.

San Diego State has been getting better and better under Steve Fisher. It's a team that recruits solid talent and is winning. They were ranked #11 at the end of the season and got a 2 seed in the West. SDSU just lost Leonard, a Sophomore Forward, to the NBA draft.

I would love to know more about how and when Kevin Young got on the KU coaching staff's radar. Gotta' wonder how Dwayne Polee's transfer from St. John's to SDSU played into this too.

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 7 months ago

I say bring him in, it can't hurt the team adding another big. I'm tired of people saying that this years class is not good! I hope the team reads the post on here and get's motivated for next season. Not sure if anyone feels the same as me, but I'm super excited to see these kids play next season!! They are going to have fire in their belly and a chip on their shoulder!! This is something we have not had in awhile. I want to see us the underdog and over achieve for a change. I think the players and coaching staff is going to benefit from this season more than ever!! It is going to be one of the more exciting seasons in my opinion. Call me crazy, but i think we are going to be more prepared in march then we were last season!!!

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 7 months ago

Watching the draft combine on tv right now and Mc Morris is working out with the small forwards!! You guys think this is a good move? I don't think so!! I think it exploits the weaker parts of his game. Just my opinion i could be wrong! I know he made some three pointers and all that, but I don't think ball handling skills are up there with the small forwards! What do you guys think good or bad move?

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

I have always felt Mc was a more natural 3 than a 4 in the NBA. True, he will have to develop better ball handling skills but he is a solid mid and longer range shooter and should match up better on D at the 3 than the 4.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

His ball-handling skills actually aren't that poor; they're fairly decent considering how little he had to use them in college. The 3 will be his natural position at the next level, so he might as well get to working on those things he needs to improve on. He'll have an inside-out presence which is key in the current NBA game (see: Nowitski, Dirk... along with many, many others).

It's a shame Marcus didn't get a chance to work more at the 3 in his time in Lawrence.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Hey, if you've got five 7-footers who can play inside out like Nowitski, play them all! :-)

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Twins are confident and gritty.
I have predicted that Bill Self would locate another big man to bolster our current lineup. Kevin Young appears to be experienced enough to give us some depth if TRob or Withey go down to injury or foul trouble. Bring him on.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 7 months ago

Would he be eligible to play this coming season?

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Since he's at a JUCO, I don't know why he wouldn't be, unless I read the article wrong.

Justin Daniel 8 years, 7 months ago

For those who keep reverting back to Roy, remember the big time transfers and juco products he brought in after Hasse and Walters: Luke Axtell, Lester Earl, Ashante Johnson, Jelani Janisse. None of these guys ever averaged more than 8 points a game. I think I'll take my chances with coach Self and his staff's evaluation.

Brad Avery 8 years, 7 months ago

Technically, he is a JUCO transfer and would therefore be eligible to play from a transfer perspective. Since he did not sign a LOI with SDSU, he remains a free agent.

Joe Templeton 8 years, 7 months ago

Sooooo will be be eligible to play this year?

yates33333 8 years, 7 months ago

The question that needs to be asked is why KU is laboring so hard to get recruits this year. The opportunity to play is wide open but KU is not getting many, if any, blue chippers. Or am I all wrong and this is a banner year? I think not. Kentucky and UNC seem to be doing all right. Please don't attack them as cheats. After Ohio State's problems I wonder if anyone doesn't.

VaJay 8 years, 7 months ago

Why is KU laboring so hard to get recruits?? Are you kidding me? How did coach Self know he was going to lose the twins AND selby? He wasn't in a position to offer much in the way of playing time if they came back. When you have to start late, chances are you don't have a great year, and if Daniels had any sense, it still would've been a great recruiting year. It really chaps my hide to hear the negative posts from these "knowledgeable" fans...

TonganoxieHawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

This kid looks good and i would love for him to be a jayhawk, but from the highlights on that video this kid looks like he doesn't have much to offer down in the post. We need a power forward not a small forward.

yates33333 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes. Also, highlights are exactly what the word says. I hope he helps, But we needed a player like Daniels.

FoCoCoHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

A KU recruit all Jayhawk fans can get behind:

Six foot seven Harrison Fire definitely wants to become a Kansas Jayhawk. Asked why he is so eager to leave his hometown, the still-growing Columbia, Missouri native replied "Anyone who has spent more than 20 minutes here would not be asking that question. I can't wait to come back here in Crimson and Blue and kick some Tiger booty." Fire has been playing basketball--and chanting the Rock Chalk cheer--since he can remember. His high school coach insists he can play all five positions, "and sell popcorn at halftime since he never wears down." Listed at 225, he is expected to grow another 3-5 inches since both parents are over 6'5" and an older brother is over seven feet tall. "I need a good strength and conditioning coach and someone to help me improve my footwork; where else would I go but KU?" When a local sports reporter asked if he was considering Duke, Fire replied "I won't play for a coach whose name I can't spell. Besides, Lawrence is the Berkely of the Midwest. Going anyplace else would be insane." To celebrate his seventeenth birthday next week, Fire intends only on having a few close friends over to watch his favorite DVD: KU's beatdown of North Carolina in the 2008 semi-finals.

RockChalkGuy 8 years, 7 months ago

This post is off the charts. I love this kid.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad that rays of sunshine actually make it to the pit of dispair and that there are individuals that can find their way out of the fire and brimstone in Missouri.

packywacky88 8 years, 7 months ago

Any links? I can't find anything on this kid. Even if he doesn't exist, he's my kinda guy.

FoCoCoHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

In a truly pluralistic society, surely we can find room for those who do not exist.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

One thing to consider is that Self might be taking an NBA general manager approach. He may be looking for specific skill sets or match ups within the league, and he may be looking for the same just to fill some gaps on his team. A few points her, some rebounds there, some stops against some in-conference talent, etc., etc.

Martin Shupert 8 years, 7 months ago

No, the worst place to play any sport is Death Valley Commuter College.

RockChalkGuy 8 years, 7 months ago

I like seeing big-time recruits commit to KU. It adds to our illustrious heritage. Make no mistake, however, we also need a solid batch of Kevin Youngs to build a TEAM that can rise to the top in April.

Self has my full support until he proves he no longer deserves it.

pfister99 8 years, 7 months ago

I trust that if Coach Self likes him...Danny can train him!!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Let's see:

1] Three years of college basketball experience [2-LMU, 1-Barstow] 2] Tall and quick. 3] Scores, rebounds and blocks shots. 4] Two years of eligibility left. 5] Can play immediately. 6] Plays quiet, hard and constant. 7] Appears to love Kansas. 7] An act of humanity by Kansas to get him out of Barstow. { I've done business there- they should have named it Barstool]

NAAH....why would we want this kid??

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

OOPs...I guess I have a tie for 7th!! Note, posted with no malice with a touch of sarcasm and a boatload of irony!!

Dan Cook 8 years, 7 months ago

Oak -- You can add another reason. The best part of Kevin Young's game is how quickly he jumps and how quick his 2nd and 3rd jumps are. That's where you really see how this guy gets his hands on balls against bigger guys. I don't think there's any doubt he will play quality minutes, if eligible, for this year's squad.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

yates,

I would rephrase the question a bit.

Why is KU laboring so hard to get recruits of this modest quality, after missing on the blue chips?

My hypothesis on the blue chips has been a combination of a rise in check book recruiting the last few years (that KU would be inferred not to be participating in), plus early commitments to other schools this past season, when it was not yet certain KU would have big man, or perimeter, minutes to give (note: remember there was a period, when it seemed uncertain whether KU would have perimeter minutes to give, because Royce was assumed to return and Selby was at least uncertain due to injury and a modest showing).

But my hypothesis does not explain why KU struggles to land even the three guys recently mentioned by the LJW. These players are not only a quality of player KU would not typically offer scholarships to, but they are also the quality of players that one would normally expect to jump immediately at an offer by Self and KU...the way Andersen and Traylor more or less did.

Any of these three guys should normally be expected to sign immediately, if offered.

Why aren't they?

I don't have an answer...yet.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

P.S.: Maybe they haven't been offered by Self, but I thought at least one of them reputedly had been.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Jay - I wonder if part of it has to do that these kids think that they are being recruited as just a stop-gap solution. They'll have a chance to play some minutes for this coming season, but, chances are, they will be recruited over in coming years. Where, on the other hand, they could go to a school of less prestige and get many more minutes over the years. Don't know if that's a factor, or not, but it's possible, I'd say.

yates33333 8 years, 7 months ago

ohjayhawk. this makes sense.

jaybate. you phrased it better than I. per usual.

Dan Cook 8 years, 7 months ago

I would suppose the answer could be different in each of the 3 cases, though I'm not sure who is #3 in your question. I thought I heard Young had already signed a LOI, so can't sign another one. In any case, he will be at KU, though maybe there's still some more eligibility paperwork required. I'm not aware of KU struggling with Lindsey. In fact, I think he would be here as soon as KU really does tell him they want him. The problem with Lindsey, IMO, is that he's not going to be able to play defense at a KU level. He can shoot it really well from deep. Since we're lacking in perimeter shooting (and he's still very young), I would guess we do roll the dice and give him a shot.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Nice pun at the end..intended or not!!!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

This is becoming a regular occurrence here. New name in recruiting. Plays the post. Not highly regarded. Would not have been recruited but for our current need .... then fluctuations on the message boards between ecstasy, relief, worship, and other interesting takes with theological undertones (SIG).

Self's gameplan at the post, it appears -- grab a number of "best available" guys, and throw it all against the wall, and see what sticks. If you have more of "them", more likely you'll find one that is actually a player. Seems like the best plan of attack given where we were.

Then, the ones that don't stick end up at UT-San Antonio, or Colorado St.

And no top recruits in 2012 or 2013 will likely see any of these guys as real roadblocks to playing time.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

AAHHHHH...Dr. Watson, therein lies the rub!!