Monday, June 13, 2011

KU basketball’s Conner Teahan gearing up for senior season

Kansas guard Conner Teahan looks to pass as Jayhawk team members run through drills during Bill Self's basketball camp Tuesday, June, 15, 2010 at the Horejsi Center.

KUSports NBA Draft Contest

Where do you think the Morris twins and Josh Selby will be drafted? Enter our contest for a chance to win $100 in KU gear.

Conner Teahan is serious about making an impact his senior season at Kansas University.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound product of Kansas City (Mo.) Rockhurst High who red-shirted a year ago, not only is lifting weights and playing in regular pick-up basketball games while enrolled in summer school, but also heading to K.C. several times a week for individual workouts with former Oklahoma State/Illinois State player Victor Williams.

“A lot of it is kind of instinctual stuff, shifting side-to-side-type movements, more fast-break-type stuff,” Teahan said Sunday after signing autographs for 21⁄2 hours for Bill Self’s basketball campers. “It’s a lot of ballhandling and working on my overall game.”

Teahan, who first met Williams five years ago, believes he can be more than a three-point bomber in 2011-12. He has made 27 of 71 overall shots (.380) in three seasons, 17 of 46 (.370) from beyond the arc.

“I’m trying to help the team out in whatever way possible, rebounding, getting assists, defending and everything like that,” Teahan said.

KU coach Bill Self, who loses seven players off last year’s 35-3 team, might have surprised more than a few of his 700 campers Wednesday when he told them he expected Teahan to be part of the regular rotation in 2011-12.

“I heard that. I very much appreciate him saying that, but I always just let it play out,” Teahan said. “I am going to wait until the season and work. I always felt I could be in the rotation, so that’s something I heard, and I’m happy he said it. It’s not something I wasn’t wanting in the first place.”

Teahan acknowledges he made the correct call in practicing but not playing in games last season.

“I am definitely happy to be here another year, and I felt the red-shirt year was a good year for me, not even just the sense of basketball, but me maturing as a person,” Teahan said. “I am very happy I did it. I’m kind of anxious to get out there and show I can help this team win.”

Teahan said he has not reflected on the fact the Jayhawks will be without Tyrel Reed, Brady Morningstar, the Morris twins, Josh Selby, Mario Little and Royce Woolridge this season.

“I don’t think it’s completely sunk in because I’m still living with Brady, but it’s definitely going to be a little bit different,” Teahan said. “Not that I didn’t get along with these guys (returnees), it’s just that I hung out with those guys a little bit more. I like the guys we have on our team. I think it’ll be a fun year.”

He likes what he has seen of newcomer guards Naadir Tharpe and Ben McLemore.

“Naadir is very good. Ben is very good. I love to see what they will do in our system,” Teahan said.

Self said freshman forwards Braeden Anderson and Jamari Traylor, who are completing some high school academic coursework, should be in Lawrence by next Monday for the second half of summer school. Traylor, who is originally from Chicago, is working out at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. Anderson is in back in his hometown of Okotoks, Alberta, Canada.

Comments

roosey 8 years, 7 months ago

Yikes? The kid has put in five years with this team and has a hell of a jumpshot! I'm glad he's getting some playing time this year. He deserves it. The fact that he's working harder now on his ball handling and footwork shows he knows what his weaknesses are and is working to correct them so he CAN be a big time contributor for this team. Good luck Conner!

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 7 months ago

Totally agree!

If he in fact is part of the regular rotation that says how much recruiting has sunk.

It's going to be a down year next year.

Scott Bonnet 8 years, 7 months ago

He's slow. defensively, he's a big liability.

JhawkDL 8 years, 7 months ago

Ugh. Not happy about this. to be quite frank i think he's a little pain in the you know what. he wasn't that great in high school and hes only a walk on. its not even fair to Moody to be comparing teahan to him. Moody had real talent and skill. teahan doesn't help out on defense, and when he did get in the game in previous seasons he would stand in the exact same spot and wait for the dang ball.....and he wouldn't even make the shot half the time. his presence offends me and he doesn't deserve to wear a jayhawk uniform. he allegedly tried to get mark turgeon to let him play for A&M (this is after turgeon heavily recruited him to play at wichita state right out of high school)....turgeon told him that if he wasn't good enough to coach teahan at WSU, then teahan wasn't good enough to play for him at A&M. i don't like the kid, and the thought of him getting any sort of minutes is scary and i really hope it doesn't happen.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 7 months ago

I kind of agree with apherse. I'm not saying Teahan doesn't have some skill or whatever, but if you are an elite program, it doesn't bode well that a walk-on is looking to be part of your regular rotation. Anyone who says otherwise here, and says they aren't concerned about what this indicates, is lying.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 7 months ago

Stop reacting negatively.

The truth is the truth and must be embraced. The program is gonna take a big hit next year. That's reality.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

Like you, I react as I please. Moreover, if you had so much clairvoyance, you'd be in Vegas or doing something else like predicting pork belly futures in Chicago!

Ed Brown 8 years, 7 months ago

umm....there has actually only been one man in the history of trading pork bellies that really made money from it but I would accept your Vegas analogy, Just sayin. :P

Kevin Studer 8 years, 7 months ago

So, if I don't think KU should be in a position to have to give major minutes to walk-ons, I am narrow-minded. Gotcha. That's COMPLETELY reasonable.

Robin Smith 8 years, 7 months ago

you guys are funny.

only a school like KU could have Mr. Show-Me Basketball walk-on AND have him get buried in the depth chart.

For a little frame of reference other winners of this award include: Bradley Beal (Florida [likely NBA]) Ben Hansbrough (Miss St / Notre Dame [NBA-to-be]) Tyler Hansbrough (UNC / NBA) David Lee (Florida / NBA) Kareem Rush (Mizz / NBA) JaRon Rush (UCLA) Larry Hughes (STL / NBA) Ryan Robertson (Kansas / NBA) and other notable Missouri players, like Jevon Crudup and Anthony Peeler (NBA)

John Boyle 8 years, 7 months ago

Actually he did. He played one game for the Kings in the 1999-2000 season.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

As opposed to the great U of Missouri who let all that talent go elsewhere.. Head coach leaves for Arkansas.. Now that's funny!

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes, you know your sunk if walk-ons are in the rotation, like uh Christian Moody. :-)

Ed Brown 8 years, 7 months ago

Christian Moody volunteered to give up a scholarshp because his dad had money and the team needed one more or he would not have been a walk-on, technically.

jayhawktalk 8 years, 7 months ago

Christian was a walk on, and was awarded a scholarship later. Pretty much the same scenario as Conner.

WichitaHawk1434 8 years, 7 months ago

Keep in mind Christian Moody, "the best walk on in America" Dick Vital

minipman 8 years, 7 months ago

are you guys forgetting about a kid name Moody.. he was a walk on and played some big minutes for us his senior year..

John Boyle 8 years, 7 months ago

He actually played more meaningful minutes prior to his senior year. His junior year he averaged 22 minutes a game. His senior year his minutes dropped to 12 minutes per game.

kureader 8 years, 7 months ago

... statistician of the year. Geez.

First, you know that Ryan Robertson played in one NBA game. Now, you know Moody's playing time each year he played? I'd call that amazing.

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

If you saw him play in high school, you would understand he is not your typical walk on player. I saw him several times, including in the Missouri state tournament, and short of Tyler Hansbrough, he was the probably the best player in that tournament.

He's not going to be the star of the team at KU, but he is a good player, and he's good enough to win playing time at any Big 12 school.

I sense the Brady haters coming out of the woodwork again, this time with thier sights aimed at Conner. Let's hope he shuts you guys up just like Brady did.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Don't compare CT with Brady. In 2009 BStar and CT where both Sophomores and both had chances to step up. Brady started and did step up while CT got limmited playing time (and HCBS knows what he's doing) and when he did play he never seemed to help). Also Brady was in the major rotation all years but 1 (unless you include when he redshirted) while CT isn't considered for the major rotation untill senior year after a redshirt and even now people are still doubting his major playing time.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

"If Conner Teahan Is Playing Significant Minutes..."

If Conner Teahan is playing significant minutes on this team, it will be in as much trouble as the 30+win '10 and '11 teams were with Tyrel Reed playing 20-38mpg.

If Conner Teahan is playing significant minutes on this team, it will be in as much trouble as the 30+ '10 and '11 teams were with Brady Morningstar playing 20-38mpg.

If Conner Teahan is playing significant minutes on this team, it will be in as much trouble as the '11 team with Tyshawn Taylor starting at point guard on last year's 35-win team.

If Conner Teahan is playing significant minutes on this team, it will be in as much trouble as the '88-ring team with Jeff Gueldner starting.

And if the King had ovaries, he'd be Queen!

Whoo-ha! Summer's here!!!!!!

"Hot town summer in the city Back of my neck getting dirt and gritty Been down, isn't it a pity Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city..."

"Cool town, evening in the city Dressing so fine and looking so pretty Cool cat, looking for a kitty Gonna look in every corner of the city Till I'm wheezing like a bus stop Running up the stairs, gonna meet you on the rooftop

"But at night it's a different world Go out and find a girl Come-on come-on and dance all night Despite the heat it'll be alright

"And babe, don't you know it's a pity That the days can't be like the nights In the summer, in the city In the summer, in the city"

--The Lovin' Spoonful (by John's brother Mark Sebastien)

Marc Frey 8 years, 7 months ago

Try The Flying Pickets a cappela version or Kinobe's Summer in the Studio verson. Two pretty good versions of Summer in the City.

Funhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

"Summer in the City" reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on August 13, 1966. The song featured a series of car horns, during the instrumental bridge, starting with a Volkswagen Beetle horn, and ending up with a jackhammer sound, in order to give the impressions of the sounds of the summer in the city. The signature keyboard part is played on a Hohner Pianet, and the organ is a Vox Continental. When at Blair Academy, Mark Sebastian submitted the lyrics as a poem for the literary magazine. That poem, entitled "Summer In the City," had the refrain "but at night it's a different world, go out and find a girl, come on, come on and dance all night, despite the heat it'll be alright, and babe don't you know it's a pity, the days can't be like the night, in the summer in the city." His older brother John changed the slower verses to a more upbeat model, keeping the title and the refrain. Mark's part remains as he wrote it, words and music. Bassist Steve Boone added the instrumental coda in the middle. --From wikipedia

Jo Jo and the Jayhawks went to the Top 4 that spring of 1966. Jaybate was doing a dance called the jerk with the girls in go-go boots. Lawrence was on the verge of going hippie.

TRUEBLUEKU 8 years, 7 months ago

Rundown of the past week. Who knew UConn was in on DeAndre Daniels since the Final Four? http://isportsweb.com/2011/06/13/mondays-ku-news-views/

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Actually, the more Jayhawk news-worthy part of this article is the strong indication that Caleb is Kansas bound..and maybe sooner than later.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

The sounds spilling from your word-hole make LAJayhawk happy.

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

I heard from a very good source that Self had no idea he was going to lose Daniels. His Dad supposedly made KU believe right up to the very end, that they were in the lead. The KU staff supposedly had no idea he had even been talking to UCONN.

I hope the Cali boy freeses his arse off up there in the great white North.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

'instinctual" ....that's a rarely used word! Teahan obviously has command of the English language. Now, can he command more PT?

bradynsdad 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't want to start an NBA argument but I am pleased that Dallas won. I still love chalmers but I am not a fan of the rest of the heat. Just like the point I like to make about calapari, talent doesn't always trump experience. The mavs showed that last night taking down the new world big three.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I may be one of the biggest Heat-haters out there -- I danced a little jig last night at the Mavs victory, and I have no feelings toward Dallas at all -- but you have to be fair to Miami. They didn't "pull out their checkbooks," their team salary is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Yes, the over-hyped 3 got large contracts, but that was the same money they would have made anywhere, save Cleveland for LBJ and Toronto for Bosh. Every team in the league would have taken any of those guys at the same price; all of them tried. Miami just won out.

And lost. Bwahahahahahahahaha!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I completely agree with that. I didn't read your "checkbook" comment in the more metaphorical sense in which you intended. Good post.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Ultimate best case scenario in the NBA Finals:

Mario Chalmers proved to all that he is a legit NBA starter while Bashed, Wane and LaBigMouth got roasted and toasted by the Mavs!!!

I really thought that Jeff Withey was going to be the "designed posting site whipping boy" this season but it appears that Conner may have the inside track. My question is, why do we need anyone to fill this position?

The kid hasn't played in almost a year and a half.....maybe we should just wait and see what developes?

PS He does really need to get some of those blonde highlights back in his hair. The female sector of Kansas nation demands it!!

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

The most valid point you made... Conner's RS year. We know the kid can shoot the rock. I'm excited to see what a year of practice with last years team has added to his game. Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

PSS Kind of scary though when the only picture they have of Conner is in warm up drills. LJW, couldn't you have found an action shot!!??

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

BTW..Chalmers did a fine job of representing KU 18 pts 7 assists and 3 steals last night.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

This is Kansas. The walk-ons here could start at a lot of places around the country. If Coach Self thinks he can play - he can play.

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

If i remember correctly, Conner turned down several D1 scholies to be a walk on at KU. That kind of dedication usually equals growth and developement. We shall see! Rock Chalk!

AZHawk72 8 years, 7 months ago

Thought Marcus said it very well the other day, and Mario demonstrated it well last night--they learned how to play basketball while in Lawrence. While I can't stand the Mavs, I had to root for team ball over star-studded Miami's wannabe studs. That one scene of the Heat passing the ball back and forth with no one moving nor wanting to take a shot while the clocked ticked away said it all for me. Finally, Mario HAD to shoot since none of the big ticket items on the team had a clue about what to do.

And while I'd like to comment on Conner, it probably wouldn't be right since we went to the same high school. However, he turned down a lot of offers to be a part of a Kansas team, knowing that he'd play a lot less. I admire his feelings for the Jayhawks and hope he takes full advantage of his opportunity this year.

HawksWin 8 years, 7 months ago

I will take 80% talent + 120% character over 120% talent + 80% character. Talent is only as good as the character who has & knows how to use it. Running mouth without respect for the sports/manship, chest pounding that is self praising without humility, all will minimize one's talent. Heat had more talent, but Mavs had much more character. Self-reflection comes from within, and if that's empty or shallow, well good luck with talent. Hope Self recruits character, the fundamental make-up of a man/player.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

200%..wow, that would be twice the man I could ever be. :]

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

Possibly thrice... just joshin! Rock Chalk!

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

"Pat Riley, Come On Down!"

Hey, Dirk Nowitzki is just a super, super, super talent, who played well and finally had a coach smart enough to build a team around his all around game, and less around his savant like scoring.

And Jason Kidd finally got what he has always deserved, a properly coached team with the right players to orchestrate. And man was he a maestro in this series. Kidd just keeps coming. Kidd has always needed a hard combination of teammates to find. He needed four other scorers, who were also willing to be really tough defenders. It is easy to find 2, or 3, scorers willing to work at defense, but Jason, because he lacks a J, needed that 4 offender. Frankly, they were all luck Shawn Marion got to become a starter, because of injuries. Adding Marion to Deshawn and Jason Terry, plus Nowitzki, who can score in a coma, and Chandler, who is a good garbage man scorer, just bring out all the best in Kidd, who is the latest iteration of the powerfully built, great ball handling, great defending, great slashing PG with a challenged jump shot. Kid is a stud. He has always been a stud. He's had a lot of personality issues, and he hasn't always had the best coaching, and certainly a lot of teammates with character issues, but Jason Kidd is a stud point guard. He shows that when a guy has it, never give up on him till he gets with a good organization and some good teammates.

Next, Carlisle's assistant coach, the guy who schemes the defense, that guy is a brilliant man. I don't know if he is head coaching type brilliant, but unless he is a completely one dimensional x and o geek with the personality of a sketch pad, then he ought to be high on someone's list to be an HC.

But at the heart of this team, as with all teams with a great big man, is Dirk Nowitzki.

Nowitzki is a man, an experience-hardened man.

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 7 months ago

I like Teahan! He is all of our wives favorite player!!! I like his shooting ability the only thing that bothers me about his game is the way he runs!! He looks like a duck when he runs if he fixes that, then i'm ok with him getting some more pt!!! My wife always ask me why they don't put Connor in the game hahah, I just say because honey he runs like a duck!!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

So, do you think he runs kind of like uh, uh, Larry Bird?

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

You get a + Lebron's Salary for the wife comment... especially when he was still rocking the surfer hair. Rock Chalk!

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Lebron and Wade both revealed they were still boys, when they played the coughing game with Nowitzki before the biggest game in the biggest series of their lives.

The coughing game was probably the decisive mistake that cost that took away what chance they had left to win the series.

Never give a battle hardened man, especially a big man, an extra reason to beat you.

After the coughing game, I was pretty sure that Lebron was not grown up enough to win a ring.

If I'm Riley, I look at Lebron and think, I've got a great player that has to get tough enough and serious enough to win one. I think: I've got to go get him a teammate that is the most ferocious, most experienced basketball player on the market, a guy who would be willing to stare down Lebron, the way Nowitzki did, because of all of his experience. Not a ferocious street fighter type. I'm talking about the most relentless, ferocious basketball player that can be found. Lebron needs someone on his team to be his sergeant, like Jason Kidd was Nowitzki's sergeant. Lebron needs someone tougher and more experienced than he is, someone like Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were for Michael Jordan, someone like Roberty Horry and Ron Harper were for Shaq's early Laker champions, someone like Fisher and Gashol were for Kobe's last few teams...real professionals, not just great talents...guys who may even think they are tougher and better than the super star, whether they are, or not.

Not guys who sit around and play the coughing game, when everything is on the line.

If I'm Riley, I look at Wade and think, he's old enough to have known better. He is old enough and had enough experience winning a ring with Shaq Father to have been that player for Lebron.

But instead, Wade tried to be Lebron's playmate, Lebron's buddy.

Scottie Pippen was never Michael's buddie, never his playmate.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

In fairness..D Wade has already proven himself in the finals. In 2006, Wade won the Finals MVP with a fantastic effort and has plenty of pictures of him holding the trophy. http://www.myspace.com/447939390/photos/2730057#{%22ImageId%22%3A2730057} Might have been Lebrons biggest series of his life.. Nowitzki just reversed the roles of the 2006 series when Dallas chocked. Best Line..If you lend Lebron $1.00 only expect to get back $.75 as he always forgets the 4th quarter.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Scottie Pippen wanted to beat Michael as much as he wanted to beat the other team. Scottie Pippen really did think he was better than Michael, even though he wasn't. Pippen drove Jordan to be the greatest. Jordan had the kill at any cost mentality, but Jordan needed a guy who wanted to beat Jordan on his own team; this was the genius of Phil Jackson. And when Jordan finally proved his superiority Pippen, who never accepted it regardless, Jackson went and got Rodman, who basically thought Jordan was a pussy and would just as soon have kicked Jordan in the balls as the opponent. Jordan, the overwhelming go for the kill guy, needed Dennis Rodman more than Rodman needed Jordan. Jordan's ego and competitiveness against his own teammates would have crushed the egoes of lesser personalities than Pippen and Rodman.

Lebron is blooded now. Riley has seen to that. He sent Lebron to the arena great talents, but not with great competitors, not with lions willing to eat even Lebron, unless Lebron manned-up.

Can anyone imagine what Dennis Rodman would have said, or done, if Lebron had played the way he did with Rodman on his team? Rodman would have humiliated Lebron on the floor. Rodman probably would have taken his shirt off three minutes into the second half and walked off the floor in the middle of play and mouthed to the courtside camera, "I ain't wastin' my time with that pussy, Lebron, anymore! I already got my rings. I don't need his bitch's game! I need his game, if he's got any. Where's Chuck !@#$%in' Daly and Isaiah and Laimbeer, when I need'em?!!!!"

Oh, man, Lebron is blooded now!

I wouldn't be surprised if Riles did this intentionally.

I've never believed Riles wasn't prepping this situation to come down to the bench and win another one.

Leopards don't change their spots.

Riles always keeps geeks like Jeff van Gundy and Erik Spoelstra around.

Riles spent a lot of quality time around Hollywood.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

He knows you always cast the supporting roles with dorks that make the leading man look more dashing and debonaire and heroic than he would playing against another star of his won stature.

If I'm Riles, I'm going straight to the trading block and I'm offering up Bosh and however other many guys I've got it would take and I'm looking for someone willing to eat Lebron and Wade for breakfast, someone who already has rings, someone who doesn't want to be Lebron's friend. Lebron doesn't need friends. Lebron needs warriors, cannibals, guys who will eat him if they get the chance.

Next, I'm going to Wade and saying, "Unless I start seeing you start talking oto the press about being better than Lebron, and unless I start seeing you trying to outscore Lebron, then I'm going to package you and that pussy Bosh, and get some men in here. I gotta challenge Lebron, one way, or another, to get this team to the next level to win a ring. And I will sacrifice anyone that won't help me. You know me. No one comes out alive, unless I get that ring. If you hadn't helped win a ring for me with Shaq, I would already have shipped you, but business is business, and you've got the talent, if you've got the warrior in you. Shaq is gone. Lebron is still a baby. Unless you can grow up, you are of no use to me. If you not man enough to light a fire under Lebron, you're gone and I'll trade your a$$ to Toronto, you got that?! The Dumb and Dumber days are over.!!"

Next, I make a quick call and ask Phil if he wants to win another ring for some serious money? If he wants to stick it in Kobe's eye and Red Auerbach's eye? If he wants to vindictate Red Holzman once and for all?

If he says yes, real quick, I hire Phil.

If he says no, or hesitates, I die my hair a nice dark brown, mousse it heavy, stroke it back slick and flat one more season, and go back down on the bench myself.

Warriors need warriors on the bench leading them.

Not up in a luxury booth.

Pat Riley, come on down!!!

Lebron is ready.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

That was the most obvious thing I noticed too. To see such an array of talent standing around passing the ball with their nikes stuck in concrete & their forefingers stuck three knuckles deep, the edge of their fingernails beginning to scrape the surface of their respective frontal lobes, too scared to take a shot, attack the goal or even run a play with a backscreen, just a few minutes from the other team sticking a dagger into the Heat's browniferic sphincters.... I could only think three things, regarding the Heat's new leader next year, because that "NBA coach" who was in charge of the Heat this year is about to become the team manager.

1. Pat Riley (but probably too old to have a heart attack on the court).

2. Phil Jackson (but probably too old, retired & too LA to go to Miami).

3. John Calipari (possibly the only college coach that can actually reach the hearts of egomaniacs this big. Great coach for attacking the goal. Capable of running isolation plays. Coaches only elite NBA players. Doesnt let money get in the way of a player being on his team (in the NBA this is called a contract). Recently he even allows off ball movement for his players & even pretty good defense! The only problem. He is in love with a lady who is a spitting image of George Lopez when her makeup is removed.... Or is he? Will this finally be the summer that John Calipari sees Ashley without her makeup?)

John Boyle 8 years, 7 months ago

I'd take Ashley with or without makeup.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

What!! You'd kick Winona out of bed for eating crackers..and steak..and watermelon...and chicken wings...and ice cream...and donuts....and okra...and ribs...and etc.....and etc....and etc....????

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Cal already is an NBA bust. Overall: 72 - 112 with the Nets.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

7782,

I agree that Calipari was an NBA bust 15 years ago & remarkably figured out a way to allow Jerry West a chance to sweet talk him out of a young man named Kobe. Probably one of the most deflating off season misfires in the history of the NBA. At least with the Bowie ahead of Jordan misfire in the summer of '84, you had a prospect. That Jordan would turn into Zeus & Bowie would have knees made of knuckles how was Paul Allen to know?

Yes indeed, Calipari wins the award.... West sweet talking Calipari to get his hands on Kobe is by far the biggest gaff in the history. That's why NBA franchises mostly leave the head coach out of these conversations now & in theory, have a GM who knows his game along with an owner who knows his business.

Calipari was not by any means a good NBA coach, or even a good middle school ping pong coach back then. And he had a pretty poor Nets team back then to boot.

Somehow Calipari version 1.1 got them into the playoffs. And again, back then, he really wasn't that good of a coach.

Now his skills have been refined & he has 15 years of learning to deal with egos as perhaps his biggest draw.

If Miami needs a new coach, they would be crazy to not have him on their short list.

If only he was friends of Lebron....

There is only one man who can cure this demon inside of Lebron that is slowly turning into a cancer that will eat apart the mind of the world's most physically gifted player.....

John Calipari.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

"After the coughing game, I realized Shaq Father had carried Baby Wade to the ring Wade won." Than I guess they gave the wrong guy the MVP. Seriously jaybate, I admire your analytical abilities but not on this. I thought the problem was that Wade and Lebron are almost copies of each other. They both play the game the same way..not complementing each other like Stockton and Malone, Magic and Kareem, Jordan and Pippen, Russell and Cousy and yes..Wade and Shaq or Kobe & Shaq. That is what is at the heart of great teams and even with all that talent, Miami doesn't have it.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

jhawk7782,

Usually you just shoot a clean, highly rifled hole right through my positions. :-)

And danged if at first you didn't have me going with your typically thoughtful argument presented clearly.

In fact, I had neatly folded my tail and begun tucking it, when I thought, hey, wait a minute: "Jordan and Pippen." Those guys' games were about as similar as Wade and Lebron and they did okay together. :-)

Perhaps the preponderance of evidence remains on your side of the weighted balance of basketball justice, but god dang it, yer honor, the defense has proven at least a reasonable doubt! :-)

Next, exiting the court room and going into Mr. Peabody Jr.'s not-so-way-back machine, when I watched that series with Shaq and Wade, back when I could still see clearly through my trifocals, here is what I saw: Wade got the glory and the iTrophy, because the opponent was out to stop Shaq. The same thing happened in LA with Kobe, only more obviously.

Kobe thought he was the man of the house after he had won a couple of rings with Shaq Father. Kobe did not understand that all the defenses were geared to contain Shaq and let the skinny kid with the pointy face beat them. The minute The Father left the Lakers, suddenly Kobe had to take a couple of years of getting keyed on before he realized just how much growing up he had to do to be the new man of the house.

Wade frankly hasn't been up to being the man of the house since Shaq Father shuffled off into the twilight of his career.

And Wade isn't up to being the man of the house now that Lebron is there. IMHO, Wade does not have the Black Mamba instinct that Kobe has. Nor does he have the go for the kill instinct Pippen recently attributed to Jordan.

Wade is a terrific supporting player. He may have a terrific ego. He may have FU money. But he is not the alpha male the Heat require to be the man of the house.

Wade has not hardened with age and experience the way men of the house do.

Still, I grant you the mix is not yet right on the Heat.

One problem is at PG. Bibby isn't the guy. I doubt Mario is either. They need a really tough customer there.

The other problem is at Bosh's spot. As Oak said, this looks like a job for Ron Artest, if he's got any juice left.

Lastly, they need a coach.

DRose could probably help them

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Scratch DRose. It was going to be a joke that I nixed and forgot to cut.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

Completely agree with Jaybate. Miami very much so has the players.

They don't have a coach that understands the nuances of isolating talent in a 24 sec sequence in a way that involves a little more complexity than sranging around looking at Lebron who is looking at Dwayne who is looking at a booger.

The Heat coaching looks great at times. But a team wreaking with stars like this should always have the opposing D on it's heals.

That's where these games are won. It's wearing down & outthinking the opposing team's D. Standing around doesn't cut it.

The problem is the head coach.

The only solution I see who isn't 65 or older is John Calipari, conveniently Lebron's best friend & conveniently attached to all of these NBA stars through his agent.

If Calipari indeed took the Heat job....

I do wonder who the Kentucky AD would lure into Lexington (aren't they averaging a new coach about every 3 seasons the last decade?)

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Let's say that instead of Kareem, the Lakers had Magic AND Erving Johnson. Do they have the talent? Of course. The Coach? 6 NBA titles. but they don't have the right type of talent. They have 2 players almost carbon copies of each other. Complimentary players..that's what wins championships..not great talent alone. That's my point..nothing else

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Like I said..I admire your analytical abilities and will defer with one caveat.. Pippen WANTED to be Jordan but knew who the man was come game time. In Miami, no one knew who was the man from game to game and it showed in the Finals.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

The Heat need a psycho on their team.....Ron Artest, calling Ron Artest. You are wanted in Miami, please.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Post Script: When Red Auerbach stepped aside, he put the team in Bill Russell's hands, not Erik Spoelstra's hands. Red put the team in the hands of the only guy who wanted to win as much as he did; the only guy that could drive men as hard as he could. C'mon, Riles, Erik Spoelstra? You gotta be kidding me. That's like hiring Jeff Van Gundy on a testosterone suppressor! Why don't ya just hire David Spade? Enough with the choir boys. Rupp didn't teach you this way. Zeke from Cabin Creek didn't teach you this way. Kurt Russell didn' model his character in Tequila Sunrise off guys like Erik Spoelstra. He modelled it off you. I was in LA, when you were leading the Lakers. I saw what you can do. I saw it in NY. I saw it in Miami. Even if you don't have enough gas in your tank to come on down, you know what it takes. Its not just intelligence. Its not even just the ability to make the hard decision. There is some manliness required, too. Some swagger. I can't bear to see a great player like Lebron being wasted like this. The guy cast his lot with you, because he believed in you. Don't let him down, Riles.

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

These kind of posts are why I don't need an ESPN Insiders pass. Thanks Jaybate, very entertaining informative and thought provoking. Of course I'll be down at my regular watering hole repeating this and pretending it's mine!

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Claim it all and drink a beer for me.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

Teahan has value if he can shoot 42-45% from 3 range. Given that this appears to be one of this teams major question marks - 3 point shooting - we should not scoff at any suggestions.

Weird as this sounds, if Teahan is a guy that can be a three point assassin, he could end up being as valuable as anyone on the team this season. I don't expect it, though. But if we need one of those "lightning strikes", this would be it -- an unexpected contributor. A three point guy off the bench can literally win you 2 or 3 games where he comes in, drains 3 or 4, and turns a game around.

But again, I suggest that we not expect really any contribution from Teahan. That would not be a surprise. It is the most likely scenario. But things have certainly shaped up where the guy will get his shot to contribute. And we need it from 3 range.

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

Remember how much Galindo used to get into games... he was pretty one dimensional but his contributions where huge. Rock Chalk!

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Holy crapola, jaybate, you oughtta be picked up by a national syndication with this fabulous rant!

HawkKlaw 8 years, 7 months ago

KU will be fine with Teahen in the rotation. Its not like Self said he was going to start. He will come off the bench and give KU solid minutes as a pure spot-up shooter. I'm willing to bet that there will be a lot of games where he will be the spark KU off the bench that KU needs. Remember Tyrel Reed before last year? He basically had the same role before he became a starter at KU.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Good Point, HawkKlaw: 1] Tyshawn 2] TRob 3] Elijah 4] Travis 5] Jeff 6] BenMac 7] Naadir 8] Justin/Jamari/Braedon [whoever is most effective] 9] Conner

There could potentially be four guards ahead of Conner, so it's not like all our eggs are in Conner's basket.

It's simple really..if he hits the three at 35% or more, he plays. If he doesn't then he doesn't.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Conner bears superior athletic ability and the determination to contribute. There will be a spot for him to play essential minutes on this year's team, perhaps more than occasionally. I envision Conner and Travis playing huge roles in winning a hardfought contest vs. Mizzou this season. KC area players determined to win bistate bragging rights. If Bill Self proclaims that Conner will be in the rotation, then it is a sure thing that his game will have advanced to the stage that he can contribute. Personally, I admire the lad's demeanor and commitment. Athletes who spring from championship high school football backgrounds are not likely to back down when the going gets tough on the hardboards. He fits the leadership and role model personna, clean record, academically inclined. Deserving of Jayhawk fan pride and support.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Hey, we are not parsing thoughts over a player who possesses no talent for meaningful minutes. Conner might have started 4 years at a Wichita State, Northern Iowa or Davidson. On a well coached team which plays a step slower than Bill Self demands, Teahan might have been a heavy contributor on one of the topflight second tier schools in the nation. We will find out this season if he has the stuff to give the Jayhawk starters some much needed rest, and add an instant injection of excitement when popping into the lineup. Mamas, dust off yer peepers!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

AAAHHH...the mystery of the missing Braedon and the missing Jamari is solved!!

actorman 8 years, 7 months ago

"Stop reacting negatively."

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 7 months ago

I love some people's reactions. Basically, here's my interpretation of how people are reacting...

"This is ridiculous! Basketball players should not strive to play basketball! They should be content to not challenge their teammates and rest on the bench the whole season. That's what makes a great team! People who don't do anything and have no aspirations or goals!"

Now who's the idiot?

It's pretty clear that a lot of people who post on these boards have never played or been involved with sports at any level, let alone elite college levels.

David Howell 8 years, 7 months ago

Unless football helped Conner with his quickness, I can't see him overcoming how slow he is. From what little I remember of him playing, bench players were easily driving by him at will. Hell Charles Barkley in all of his +- 300 lbs. of 2011 would probably drive past Conner ............

For those of you who choose to repeatedly bash Tyrel this past year, you should have a far easier time with Conner. A hay-day so to speak !

I too am worried about next season. It appears that Bill at some point started working more to the 2012-13 season, then next year.

wtarush 8 years, 7 months ago

Hmm...

Imagine a kid, hair's a little long, maybe shirt just a little longer (but the shoes and shorts mean business) walking down Wornell Rd toward 85th followed by a couple of his buddies. A car drives by on 85th; a four-wheel drive SUV that has never seen a dirt road, nor even an intimadating puddle. The passengers, just a little lost as they look for the zoo, spy the boys and murmer something about being up to no good as they drive away.

Its nearing a hundred when the three get to South Oak Park and the humidity is not unlike any other summer day in KC, but the long-haired boy had talked them into playing a little basketball and neither the heat nor the shirts sticking to their backs was gonna stop them from shooting some hoop. No one else is on the court...too hot, so the fellas just start shooting some "PIG" (easily won by "hair") then lapse into an aggressive game of "21". The hopes were that someone else would show up and they could split into teams, but it never happens...too humid...too mid-west summer.

After a second game of "21" the other two boys feign exhaustion and chores not yet completed as they head for home. Hair stays. He doesn't shoot for fun...he doesn't shoot to impress...but the ball keeps going toward the basket and will be for hours. With a burst of energy he skips after a loose ball and slips on a rock. His knee slides across the concrete and opens the scab that was there from the last time the same thing had happened. Years later no one would be amazed that he bled crimson and blue!

That's the kind of kid I want to see running out of the tunnel at Allen! Conner has worked hard, bled heavy and sacrificed everything from full ride scholarship to 35 min per game PT just to be a Jayhawk. I have not forgotten only a few seasons ago when every Jayhawk on the planet screamed his name and jumped up and down when the "local kid" sunk his umpteenth 3 pointer in a row.

He's working hard... He will do it again...

Rock Chalk, Conner. I'm behind ya'.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

"!"

If anyone noticed in the EJ story a day or so ago, EJ, who is a good enough shot himself to be considered for grassy knoll duty in Dallas, said he was up to making 40+ shots in a row in practice!

Dang, I don't think I ever made 40+ free throws in a row!!

Then The Prophet mentions that Conner hits up to 60 in a row!!!

First, props to The Prophet for taking the role of team leadership seriously and intentionally drawing Conner into the circle of upper classmen with cred.

Second, 60+ in a row!!!! from Trifectaville?!!!!!

Say what?

Is the T-Man using some kind of global !@#$%^ing positioning system?

Is he shooting magnetized ingots of iron that are drawn to basketball hoops?

Has DARPA developed a smart basketball?

Is there a tiny black hole inside the rim in the new practice center that is consuming first his shots and then our solar system?

Now, does everyone get why Conner keeps getting 1st, 2rd, 3rd...nth chances to try to torch cord in games?

60+ trinities in a row?

Hail Mary, mother of god!

I don't care if we have to get him leg transplants this summer.

I don't care if we have to get him some bionic leg augmenters that DARPA developed for the Army so soldiers can carry M-1 Abrams tanks on their backs.

We gotta get this guy's gun in there some how!

Him sitting on the bench is like a sniper on KP.

Come on, T-Man, move those feet!

Get that butt down.

Slide, man, slide, for all you are worth!

Be the first Jayhawk in the rotation to break 50% from trey for a season!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

BIONIC? As in Six Million Dollar Man Bionic? Bionic legs. Bionic eye. Bionic hand. Da, na, na, na Is Conner Teahan really Steve Austin incognito?

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Two key words to consider...." in practice."

At least it shows that the stroke is there. Will the kahunas follow in actual game situations? All we can do is wait and see.

Note that this comment is aimed at Conner, not Elijah. I am convinced that "The Prophet" can do it.

Eurekahwk 8 years, 7 months ago

Didn't Teahan have a scholarship offer to play for Wichita State? He is a good player. We just got beat by a team loaded with talent on a midmajor team. So quit hating.

duanep5ku 8 years, 7 months ago

I only want the very best for any Kansas player that's on the team,regardless if their ranked or not or if they play or just sit on the bench. They still represents Kansas Basketball and as long as they wear the Kansas uniform and hopefully stay trouble free when their here. The players still represent the University of Kansas.

I still hope that some fans still respect the players that want to be here and give their all for the team, even if they never see the light of day on the court.

Conner,Good luck.

To all the posters on here old enough to remember the 1988,Championship team and to the ones on here that don't. My favorite walk on story of all time. Here's an example of how some walk on players can still help a team, even on the big stage. Clint Normore, from the football team was invited by Larry Brown to play Basketball that year because, in-truth Kansas needed bodies for practice because of a decimated squad. In the 1988 Championship game against OU,Clint came off the bench to score 7 pts in the first half, including two three point bombs. The last big shot he made at KU, came with OU a head of Kansas 50-47, with the first half shot clock running down, Clint hit a long three pointer at the buzzer to tie the game at 50-50 at the half. I guess you just never know how a player will do when they arrive to play here but if their on the team, they should get some respect.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

Great example.

As I recall he also hit all 4 of his free throws. Crucial in a game like that one.

Solid D on Mookie to go along with a perfect 0 turnovers. Crisp passing when he was out there with enthused play.

We don't win that '88 championship without Clint Normore...

A walk-on.

Michael Gentemann 8 years, 7 months ago

I may need to dust off my old VHS copy of the 88 title game but I believe that Normore hit only one 3-pointer in that game and that was from the top of the key with the shot clock running down, not the game clock. Danny made the play that got KU to 50 points.

Clint did score 7 points but missed his only free throw of the game. He had a nice over the shoulder full sprint catch of a half court pass for a layup in the first half and a huge assist to Piper in the late part of the second half when OU had taken the lead. Like Pritch, Pipe, Milt and Danny, Clint picked the right day to play the game of his life.

The point made by duanep5ku and 100 that walk-ons can be players too is a good one

duanep5ku 8 years, 7 months ago

To The phog and 100 thank you guys for the corrections to my post. Yes, Clint was 3-3 and only hit one 3 pointer in the game. So he would have hit the one three and 2-2 from the two point range jumpers. He was also 0-1 from the free throw line. I did get the 7 points correct though but I was just off on how he got them.

100 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the post 88.

Certainly one of the greatest contests in the history of college basketball.

As for Normore, I'd love to see someone dust off the tape & rewatch it keeping only an eye on #4, one of our walk ons

His performance was absolutely flawless as I recall.

I remember Normore scoring around seven points.

I'm nearly certain Danny hit the shot that got us to 50.

What I'm pretty sure about is Normore being clutch when he went to the line.

I swear he was 4 for 4.

If not, I'm gladly corrected.

I left that game with a realization that we seriously didn't win it without him.

Without T-E-A-M....

Kenny Terry 8 years, 7 months ago

Good to hear the update on Jamari and Braedon. It will be good when they get on campus and start hanging out with their teammates

Kenny Terry 8 years, 7 months ago

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

I am a Teahan fan as I know the amount of hard work and dedication he puts in during practice without getting much recognition and I got to know him a little bit when I lived on his floor a couple of years ago and nobody wants to see him succeed more than I do, but honestly, if he's playing 25+ minutes a game next year, KU will probably have a down year by KU standards. An ideal situation with Teahan would be him putting up numbers similar to Mario Little averaging between 10-15 minutes a game and scoring about 5 points a game while giving KU some valuable minutes at the 3 and 4 spots. I think playing him at the 4 would be a great way to stretch defenses and mask some of deficiencies as a player by having him guard bigger players who aren't as athletic as wing players.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 7 months ago

Anyone hear anything on Mervs visit to Marquette? If he ends up here i for 1 will support him just like anyone that dons the Crimson and Blue

packywacky88 8 years, 7 months ago

More love for Mizery.......

ESPN's Top Ten Underachievers - coming in at #6

Missouri: The Tigers are the most accomplished program to never, ever, ever reach a Final Four. Even with big-city recruiting hubs on either side of the state (Kansas City to the west, St. Louis to the east) and no significant in-state competition, Mizzou has failed to even once break through the regional final barrier. And hiring Frank Haith, a coach who was 26 games below .500 in ACC play, doesn't exactly feel like the move that will deliver a Final Four.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

jhawklifer 8 years, 7 months ago

+1; an longtime buddy is getting married in Columbia soon and I have agreed to be in the party. Does this mean I will have to spend the night in a Columbia motel? I think a reverse Norm Stewart is in order here......

But Jaybate, to your point above, I would point to a Bill Simmons theory he offered earlier today: that LBJ was different after that game 3 rant Wade pulled when he yelled at the King for about 8 seconds straight on national TV. That's about the time LBJ started to fail in 4th quarters. Maybe Wade was trying to be the alpha, and LBJ just didn't know how to take criticism because....he's an entitled child star more akin to Michael Jackson than Michael Jordan or even Wade, players who struggled through adversity early in their careers (the famous cut from the HS varsity story for Jordan, academic non qualifier status for Wade at Marquette) to become champions. Wade's performances throughout the series (with the notable exception of the early celebration after his 3 from the corner in game 2 that infuriated the Mavs and spawned the comeback) were worthy of an alpha. Even an alpha can have one off game after 10 plus performances (and maybe the hip pointer was more of a problem than he let on), because no one will be Jordan and dominate EVERY SINGLE TIME. What the finals have shown is that LBJ is a second banana who is obtuse enough to believe he's a first banana, and as such doesn't respond to motivational tactics, even from the resident top banana. After all, who did Michael Jackson ever listen to? But I'm not sure they showed Wade can't be an alpha.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Everybody seems to take "being part of the rotation" to mean 20+ minutes a game. I hardly think that's the case. If it were, I'd have to admit I'd also be a little angst-ridden about 2011-2012. But I'm guessing it means more like 8 minutes a game, something I would hope many could live with. He's worked hard, and certainly deserves a chance. If it doesn't work out, I'm quite sure Self will realize it...

TonganoxieHawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't think having him in the rotation even if it means 20+ minutes a bad thing, i feel it would be more like having a tyrell reed with more size on the floor.

kusportsnut 8 years, 7 months ago

I realize that he would probably be a defensive liability, and I don't want him to play major minutes more than most of you, but the guy can absolutely fill it up at times. My high school team went to the ku team camp 3 summers ago, and sat in the fieldhouse gym while we were waiting to register and see when we were playing, etc. Teahan was in the gym shooting on one of the side goals, and I witnessed him shoot and make 25 threes in a row. Swished every single one of them. Granted there was no one defending him, but it was still very impressive. It also tells you about the quality of the players we recruit if one of our walk-ons can do something like that.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

In the BIll Self years at the Jayhawk helm, we have experienced a few miserable losses to teams with lesser talents, but with hot 3 pt. shooters whom we failed to derail. I feel assured that in his previous 4 years in Lawrence, Conner has worked diligently to improve upon the weaknesses in his game, moves that will help minimize his hoops deficiencies. During his freshman year we saw tremendously exciting moments when he popped into a game to hit from downtown. Now he is a mature, probably much more levelheaded 5th year player who impresses teammates with his amazing 3 pt. shooting in practices. Walk-ons who really crave minutes on the floor learn well their roles, just as did Christian Moody in the Simeon years. I envision Conner performing some really fine stuff to help us save and bring home the bacon this season. This is projected to be the kind of season wherein we might eke out occasional victories by hail-Mary performances. Who better than Conner to leap into the desperate fray to fullfill that role.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

Brady and Tyrel were never destined to even be starters. It appeared that their respective destiny would be role players and should their development be better than expected, they would be infused into games as the first and second options off the bench at their positions. When Sherron was the defacto starting guard, in his senior year, Tyrel and Brady were guietly gaining confidence and efficiency. Then, HCBS saw the benefit of this "wanna-be dynamic duo" and against all odds, decided to put Elijah and others farther down the line.

Teahan is a spot up shooter and his defensive skills have never been challenged. Therefore, unless he comes to camps with the same intensity that Tyrel, at least, did, he probably will play more minutes but still relegated to a "special teams: kind of player. He'll never challenge the likes of Tyshawn or Releford and blow them away.But, that's alright too. He loves being a Jayhawk and competes in practice with the same level of efficiency as he is required to in order to give the higher level PT guys the workout they need. We have to have guys like him.