Sunday, June 12, 2011

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich staying put

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who worked one year for Larry Brown at KU, tells San Antonio’s WOAI-TV he may want to keep coaching a few more years, even after Tim Duncan retires. He has been the Spurs’ coach for 15 seasons.

“You do it as long as you go to training camp and the juices are flowing and you get excited about getting it started. And I know I’m like that because I was bouncing off the walls for weeks,” said Popovich, 62. “So, I’m pretty far away from wanting to sit back and have a pinot noir and watch a Robert Mitchum movie. I’m going to do it until the juice is gone, until there’s no juice. For right now. I love it. I’ll never have it better than this, so I’m going to enjoy it while it’s here.”

Former KU assistant coach R.C. Buford is general manager of the Spurs and a good friend of KU’s Self.

Comments

Chris Bruning 8 years, 7 months ago

Self never bolts for SPURS or any NBA team....NEVER....

jman18562 8 years, 7 months ago

Well Gregg, I'm glad the Spurs at least get someones juices flowing.... Most boring team in basketball 15 years running.

pup35 8 years, 7 months ago

Four NBA Championships during that time frame means you don't have to be flashy to be succesful. Just saying.

brianharold9 8 years, 7 months ago

So is the purpose of this being relevant is that if Popovich left, Self would bolt for the NBA? I could see it and if we can win another title here then why not?

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

Self is going to leave someday, whether for the NBA or just retiring. Who knows, maybe he could even have health problems.

My question would be, if he leaves within the next five years who is his replacement? I submit it comes down to Mark Turgeon (assuming he's willing to come home), and Jerod Haase. Haase has quietly racked up 10 years of coaching under Roy Williams and is about ready to take on a head coaching job. He's 37, smart, and has a solid KU legacy.

Blake McFarland 8 years, 7 months ago

Self doesn't want to go to the NBA because he is already at his dream job. If it comes down to money i'm sure KU will find away to make it work. Now coach cal.......that's another story.