Sunday, June 12, 2011

7-footer Kaleb Tarczewski finishes KU visit

Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the top-ranked players in the class of 2012.

Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the top-ranked players in the class of 2012.

Kaleb Tarczewski, a 7-foot, 220-pound senior-to-be out of St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., completed a two-day, unofficial basketball recruiting visit to Kansas University on Friday.

“It was really good, I really like it there,” Tarczewski, Rivals.com’s No. 11-rated player in the Class of 2012, told ESPN.com, noting he has been on KU’s campus four times.

“This trip was really for my mom. She hadn’t been there yet and I wanted her to see it,” added Tarczewski, who will visit North Carolina on Monday and Tuesday and Arizona on June 20-21.

“Right now those three (schools) are the ones that embody what I’m looking for,” Tarczewski added to ESPN. “It’s not necessarily closed to other schools, but those are the three that I’m looking at right now."

In the past, he also has listed UConn, Duke, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, Florida, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, USC and Boston College.

Here’s what ESPN.com has to say about Tarczewski:

“He is a true center with great size. He runs the floor extremely well and has good mobility for a 7-footer. He has become an explosive and powerful finisher with both hands around the basket and his good hands allow him to catch tough passes and turn them into baskets. He has a good left shoulder hook with a high release and is gradually developing his right shoulder as well. He is a excellent area rebounder especially on the offensive end and is also a decent on ball shot blocker.

“He is also a big man who takes to coaching and has shown great improvement over the course of his career as a result. There may not be another big man that has improved more in the last 18 months than Tarczewski.”

On the flip side, ESPN writes, “Defensively, a player of his size and mobility should be able to improve his shot-blocking presence. Tarczewski also has a bit of a temper that can be both a blessing and a curse. When he harnesses it he is dominant, but when it gets the better of him, he can get taken out of the game mentally.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

At 220 I would think a introduction to Hudy also took place

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 7 months ago

I watched them scrimmage at the KU Rec on Friday. He looked pretty strong to me. He can get stronger, but he was pushing Withey around and doing better than I expected against Cole. Also, T-Rob hit a nasty fadeaway 3 after crossing Justin Wesley. Self probably doesn't want him doing that in a real game, but it was way prettier than you would expect from a big man.

Corey Shideler 8 years, 7 months ago

And man can he run the court for a 7 footer

Kevin John 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb will average a double/double at Kansas and go down as one of the Greatest of All Time in Jayhawk History. I hope Cole was able to play a few pick up games with Tarczewski and chat with him about playing in The Phog. It also fits his style of play in Bill Self's high/low pick-n-roll style offese and having the Best Big Man Coach in the Country in Danny Manning certainly helps. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 7 months ago

He guarded Cole a lot when I was watching Friday. Cole obviously won the matchup, but Kaleb was holding his own. The kid is legit. Hope we get him.

actorman 8 years, 7 months ago

Never thought I'd see myself write this, but I like it, ahperse.

minnhawk84 8 years, 7 months ago

"embody." I like high school kids who have more than a "grunt" vocabulary.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

“This trip was really for my mom. She hadn’t been there yet and I wanted her to see it,” added Tarczewsk He has been here 4 times now..I've learned not to get my hopes up but he obviously likes what he sees.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 7 months ago

Only question left is, what number jersey do you want, son? I like what i have seen and heard about this kid so far.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like up4par2000 is ready to issue # 13 to him !

bradynsdad 8 years, 7 months ago

Could you imagine landing this kid and Ellis? We already signed peters so we would be big man loaded. I know most coaches in the primetime schools can get you to the NBA, but as a big man it has to be clear that manning has an exact blue print to get you drafted in the first round.

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

Expect one of the best recruiting classes in KU history next year. It may or may not include Ellis and this kid, but it will include a lot of highly ranked guys. For the first time in a long, long time, Self will have a lot of playing time available to offer new recruits. The past few years the question of who is going pro and who is staying has hurt early recruiting. Next year that won't be so much the case.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 7 months ago

The fact that he has been here 4 times and it was already moms time to see what KU has to offer....that just really sounds good to me!!!!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb...please read McMorris' quote to the Charlotte Observer.

WilburNether 8 years, 7 months ago

"Tarczewski also has a bit of a temper that can be both a blessing and a curse. When he harnesses it he is dominant, but when it gets the better of him, he can get taken out of the game mentally.”

Just like Sherron Collins! (See Syracuse, Northern Iowa.)

kureader 8 years, 7 months ago

... can't believe it was possible to come up with something negative about this article. congratulations. you, somehow, did it.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

The same Sherron who made one of the greatest play in Jayhawk history in The '08 NCAA final. The same Sherron who graduated as the winningest player in KU history. The same Sherron who is part of a TEAM. You know..win as a team, lose as a team.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow, is he perfect or what? Come on Kaleb!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Please refresh my memory but as good as Kaleb is and as much he would be a great fit for Kansas, doesn't he have a junior teammate in the 2013 class who is even better and projects as a possible superstar?

I can't believe I'm becoming a recruitment geek but aren't there also a pair of twins in the 2013 class that are supposed to be awesome?? Andrew and Aaron Harrison???

With the success of the Morrii, do you all think we have a shot at them? I'm sure they're going to stay together.

Dan Cook 8 years, 7 months ago

You may be thinking of 6''7" Alex Murphy who enrolled early at Duke and will be on their roster next season.

Yes, the Harrison Twins are 2013 big guards and, yes, we have a shot. I would say it's too early to know if it's a good shot, but they've visited and their dad seems to like us. The kids play at Travis High in Fort Bend, Tx (suberb of Houston.) They had a teammate last season who will be a freshman at Iowa State this year. The team was quite good, but the senior didn't appreciate the attention given to the twins and team chemistry was less than ideal. As for the twins, they're really good.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

We've done the Twin thing.

I want to find Triplets and really go big across the front line!

Then quadruplets.

Then quintuplets. :-)

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

i'm not saying we are out of the picture but i would guess the gosselin's money grubbing parents are going to be asking for something under the table. making them a heavy uk or uconn lean.

however if they would commit. i say get the girls team involved, tlc to create our own network, and create a show called "jon and kate plus jaybate"

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb, if you read this site please understand that you will be welcome with open arms and you will thrive. I got a little carried away. I did some research and your stock has shot up into the elite range, so my apologies. You also have what it takes to dominate.

PS Don't lose the temper, just channel it in the direction where it will do the most good...handing your opponents a solid defeat!!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

PSS I hope Kaleb's Mom got to talk to Angel,...we should put Angel on stafff!!!

Ken Sedgwick 8 years, 7 months ago

Whoa! Easy now! Dont get too excited. Kaleb said nothing about getting a degree. He is just shopping. Would he buy into playing behind a 7ft fifth year senior? Temper or not he doesn`t look like a Tanya Harding type.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

I know someone else has already pointed this out but I wish HCBS would recruit Willie Cauley from Olathe. 6'10 220 from Olathe. KS and MU are going at this guy hard and have already offered scholarships. I know BS is going at several other targets at the PF but if we are bringing basically unranked players such as Merv Lindsay to KU why not wait for a quality player. Here's a kid ranked #37 who would at least be here for 3yrs and is exactly the type of player Manning and Self have had so much success with. Obviously this is purely my opinion. Any thoughts?

Viggo3003 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree, that was purely your opinion.

Dan Cook 8 years, 7 months ago

Merv Lindsey is available today. Willie Cauley isn't. If he was, he would have been our 2nd primary focus following DeAndre. We need kids for this year's roster.

Within the class of 2012, Willie doesn't project as highly as the A-Level targets within KU's reach. I, too, would love to see local kids on the roster, but they all can't be 1st tier choices when Kaleb and Perry already are, especially with Peters already in the fold. For that matter, would Cauley want to come to KU if Kaleb, Perry, Peters, Jamari, Braeden, et al, were in crimson and blue?

Cauley has to be a backup plan. If he's good with that and we aren't successful with the 1st tier choices, then maybe there will be a spot for him. That's the way I look at it.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Merv. My only disagreement would be that both players are equally available. I'm sure Self could arrange a recruiting trip as he has expressed interest at KU but no..he would not come if Jamari and Braeden develop as we hope and Merv Lindsey commits. Zack Peters is a non-factor unless he can turn things around his senior year. I remember when he signed and he was predicted to be near the top of the rankings by 2012 (http://theshiver.com/2010/04/peters-ends-recruitment-early-kansas-bound/). I was psyched but I've never been in favor of offering scholarships to sophomores i.e Royce Woolridge.

siukufan1 8 years, 7 months ago

Cauley has begun to receive a lot of attention from the KU staff. The problem was that KU was high the list of 3-5 top PF and C so those kids were getting all the attention. As of late Cauley has seen his stock soar so he has moved ahead of some of the other players that were being recruited before him. I do feel that KU will try to get 3 bigs in the 2012 class. The name I am watching is Robert Upshaw.....he really has been coming on strong and really likes the idea of working under Manning. The thing with Upsaw is he may be one of the top 2-3 defensive bigs in the class and would be a great fit next to Withey and Kaleb (if he commits).

Viggo3003 8 years, 7 months ago

Ummm and that was a positive post?

I'm going to go slash my wrists......but at least I'll get to see what color I bleed :)

Viggo3003 8 years, 7 months ago

No it was Crimson and Blue with traces of Chiefs Red and Gold.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

I am this site's biggest idiot...Jaybate, only today did I realize that PHOF stood for "Posting Hall Of Fame".

I thought it was you expelling your breath in a positive assertion!!

At my house with my four brothers, "PHOF" meant, Punk, Hands Off my Food!!!

Ben Simonett 8 years, 7 months ago

I understand your post, but isn't there room in that fox hole for the guy that shouts out "in comming" when your about to shelled by a mortar?

that's all i have been saying, recruiting this year, and this year alone, was sub par. that doesnt mean Self is a bad coach, it doesnt mean the program is in trouble, it doesn't mean i going to hop off the bandwagon, it just simply means recruiting this year was poor. Thats it!

i make a simple statement like that and then have to make 8-10 posts calming down the other "soldiers" that think because i called out and incomming shell i think were going to lose the whole damn war.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

WOW!! Ralster...this post seems a little harsh especially coming from you. I always look to you as the voice of reason and fair-mindedness.

Equating cowardice to voicing discontent or sounding a potential warning strikes just a bit too hard, don't you think?

No matter what they said or how they acted, I would never kick a Jayhwak out of my trench under fire...and I don't think you would either.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Fair 'nuff...you are still a great poster and your avatars are PHOF!!

Joseph Leon 8 years, 7 months ago

Do I see another Sasha Kaun? (Is he Russian?)

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb's skill sets, at this stage of development, appear to be better that Sasha's .

okiedave 8 years, 7 months ago

Tough to get your hopes up when the motive for the visit was not his desire to visit, but his mom's curiosity.

stravinsky 8 years, 7 months ago

“It was really good, I really like it there,” Tarczewski... told ESPN.com, noting he has been on KU’s campus four times.

“This trip was really for my mom. She hadn’t been there yet and I wanted her to see it.”

Which part of the '[Tarczewski] has been on KU's campus four times" or "I wanted her to see [Lawrence]” led you to make the assessment that this trip was pushed by his mother's curiosity rather than his stated desire for her to see the place he'd already been three times? I'd say a player who has already been to Lawrence three times wanting to show the place off to his mother is a pretty positive sign.

okiedave 8 years, 7 months ago

stravinsky: The part where he states concerning his official visit "...those 3 schools embody what I am looking for" but "..I'm not ruling out other possibilities". And his official visit was "for my mom ... she hadn't been there yet.". It implies mom has seen the other two schools which are still on his top 3. Now, if he had said, I wanted my mom to see my number one pick, then I would be much more hopeful. With that said, hope his mom chooses KU.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb,

The people that founded Lawrence are from Massachusetts.

They named the main street Massachusetts Street.

Naismith invented the game in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Naismith brought it from Massachusetts to KU, where it became the Father of all College Basketball Programs.

You are from Massachusetts.

It would mythic for you to come and play at KU on Naismith court.

It would renew the KU connection with Massachusetts for the 21st Century.

And it would get you the best big man coaching available in America.

I hope you choose KU.

Rock Chalk!

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

“This trip was really for my mom. She hadn’t been there yet and I wanted her to see it."

Um by the looks of this, it seems he really, really likes KU. Hope he didn't do the same for the other schools.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 7 months ago

obviously i want this kid, and pretty badly at that. But is he a one and done that gives us one good, not great, year???

Viggo3003 8 years, 7 months ago

Ok I guess you want me to say I get it? If it's that important to you I will. I really prefer to just read and talk about the Jayhawks not all this sniping. I will say this though since you opened it up. I know so many people who hate Jayhawk fans because they thing they are jerks who think they are better than everyone. And when that is said to me I can only offer that I know where they get that opinion from as I see that type of KU fan quite often.

The KU program IS on a different level than most and does occupy some rare air. Allen Fieldhouse is a better venue than most and is a special place. But in my opinion KU fans are no better than Kentucky, Duke or North Carolina fans. If you were born in that area or went to school there you would love that school like you do KU.

Then there is the ridiculous banter about what is a "real fan", "true fan" or "Jayhawk Faithful" . I just don't get it, never have, never will. Fan's come in many variations and all see the KU basketball world though their own prism's of life which certainly I nor anyone else could ever change.

So Ralster I'll just say goodnight and compliment you on your avatar choice.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't know if ralster has told you this or not, but his avatar is supposedly Beyonce without her make-up on, or was it Helen Mirren? :-)

Everyone get a good night's sleep and awake with good cheer tomorrow. :-)

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Could be worse..at least we aren't Dook. But most of the sniping goes back and forth. Malice is really infrequent. And finally..I've been around the world and Jayhawk fans are the best. Sorry you don't get it.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb,

Come to Lawrence and prepare to be the next Dirk Nowitzki.

Dirk proved once again that big men can still decide the rings with the right coaching and the right players around them.

Size matters. :-)

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

"Speaking of:"

~Speaking of Dirk Nowitzki winning a ring and spoiling the evening for all of the schillcasters, er, broadcasters, with their lips sealed to Lebron's a$$ with super glue, man was that hilarious to watch.

~Speaking of Big Dirk, he and his brilliant Maverick supporting cast played ball like the Miami Heat can only dream about playing.

~Speaking of the Mavericks, Rick Carlisle coached a great series and his assistant coach in charge of zone defense, whose name escapes me right now, just completely outfoxed Miami's Spoelstra.

~Speaking of Spoelstra, he may be a smart cookie, as Riles says he is, but with all due respect, the Spoelstra we saw in this series could not lead the Heat to a ring in a Helzberg's store, much less in an NBA Finals.

~Speaking of Riles, he either needs to die his hair and come down to the bench next season, or he needs to swallow his pride and go get the best NBA coach without a gig there is...Phil Jackson.

~Speaking of Phil, hell yes he would coach the Heat next season, unless his wife forced a do-not-compete on him in exchange for her heart. Phil has made a career out of stepping into, or back into, the careers of the best emerging players languishing under less-than-stellar coaches, and teammates that don't properly complement them. Of course he would be willing to coach Lebron.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

~Speaking of not complementing, neither Bosh, nor Wade, complement Lebron. Lebron has no clue how to win a ring and Riles hasn't put the right guys around him either. And to be honest, it is not always clear that Riles knows who the right guys are. Jerry West put his Laker teams together for him. He never got the right cast in NY. He may have had the right cast with Alonzo Mourning, but Alonzo was not anchor material in the first place. And a case can be made that Riles kind of lucked into that one with Shaq on the way down. Riles needs to hire Phil, so that Lebron can get a ring. Phil would love leaving Kobe aka Black Mamba lost in LA and winning a couple more rings with Lebron to make his primacy vis a vis Michael, Shaq, Kobe, and especially Red Auerbach unarguable. I mean winning rings with all these players that never won rings for any other coach would be a huge feather in Phil's Buddha cap. And Phil Jackson is an old Knick and any old Knick would surely to go to his death bed trying to drive a stake through Auerbach's heart once and for all.

~Speaking of the Knicks, if the Knicks owner had a brain for the game, which he apparently lacks, or he would never have hitched his wagon to Isaiah, Phil is really a right hire for the Knicks now. Carmelo Anthony could probably win two rings under Phil.

~Speaking of winning two rings, man, am I glad the minor distraction of the NBA Finals are passed, so I can get back to trying to figure out how Bill Self is going to surprise us all and win 26 to get a conference title, and then deftly guide a red hot cinderella team to his second NCAA ring.

~Speaking of a second NCAA ring, Rock Chalk!

Michael Luby 8 years, 7 months ago

If you inserted your own "PHOF" here, then we would all know that you are a punctilious jerk. But since you didnt, that was great stuff man.

I still kinda wish Chalmers had gotten a ring tho.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Thx.

Hey, just using punctilious in a post gets you a PHOF! :-)

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

Nice to see, once again, the impact the KU campus visits have on recruits. Yes, there are other schools with nice campuses and possibly a combination of conditions that are more attractive to any one particular player. We cannot win them all. But the conditions are ripe here for a couple top recruits to take us back to the Final Four and we now know that coach Self wins all the Final Fours he enters.

Come indeed, Kaleb, to Kansas and make millions of KU fans very happy. Even more significant, make yourself and your family very happy. Those who come never seem to regret it. Thanks for considering KU.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Erratum: I do believe "distraction of the NBA Finals are passed" should read "has passed."

jayhawktalk 8 years, 7 months ago

Uhmm, so what did KT's mom have to say after the visit...? I hope Bill wore the white polyester disco suit for their meeting; it's so uncool that it's cool. What parent wouldn't be impressed (it's rhetorical)?

Joe Templeton 8 years, 7 months ago

If Caleb ends up at UNC I see him turning to to Roy's next Eric Pauler or Eric Chenowith ...... Big men with huge potential but showed fewer results

Dirk Medema 8 years, 7 months ago

Chenowith was a highly recruited big man that certainly didn't produce results anywhere near as big. Pauley on the other hand was just a JC transfer and hardly recruited at all out of HS. He did play well, and was a major contributor for the 92-93 Final Four team. We would do well to have another Pauley.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

This kid is perfect for KU! Our recruiting is going to rebound in 2012 and it starts with this great kid!

Great to see Chalmers play so well in the championship and still getting to see Lebron fail miserably on the biggest stage.

KUfanInFlorida 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you. I think Self will be able to land Kaleb, Ellis and Shabazz.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, we'll land all of those and then we will get Lebron to go to college and play for us!

I don't think Self will get all three of those top ten or top 15 or whatever recruits they are. Self is not a calapari and never gets teams like that. He gets teams with maybe 1 or 2 great freshmen but is lead by upperclassmen.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 7 months ago

We do have a chance of getting maybe two of those players depending on how much Withey steps up, how much EJ steps up and if TRob leaves after 2012. Hell, im going against my last comment when I say that If EJ, TR and J With, all leave we could land all 3.