Saturday, June 11, 2011

New-look defense? Torbush supports direction, potential changes with Kansas football ‘D’

Kansas defensive end Toben Opurum hits the sled during football practice on Monday, April 18, 2011 at the practice fields near Memorial Stadium.

photo

Though he won’t be around to see it, former Kansas University defensive coordinator Carl Torbush said in no uncertain terms at his retirement news conference that the KU football defense was a unit on the rise.

“There’s no doubt, athletically, we’re better now than we were last year,” said Torbush, 59, who stepped down May 31 to focus on his upcoming battle with prostate cancer. “We’ve got more depth here than we’ve had before. We’re faster than we were before.”

And now, with cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy being promoted to defensive coordinator and defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt bumped up to co-coordinator, the Jayhawks appear to be headed toward a slight change in the way they play defense.

Along with head coach Turner Gill, Shealy and Wyatt made sure to emphasize that the foundation for what KU would do on defense was in place, thanks to Torbush.

“Even though it’s been a short term here, it’s been a really important term,” Gill said of Torbush’s one year with the program. “I appreciate what he’s all about, and I know that he’s a person that’s going to continue to have KU in his heart and in his mind.”

Now it’s time for the fine-tuning.

The early word out of KU’s camp is that Shealy and Wyatt will coach pressure defense and strive to create havoc for opposing offenses. There’s even been talk of switching the base package from a 4-3 to a 3-4, a move that would allow KU to put more linebackers on the field and better utilize the speed it brought in at that position. That’s about as detailed as the group got about any upcoming philosophical shifts.

“I think you’ll see some changes,” Shealy said. “Inevitably, it’s going to happen when you get a different personality. There are many ways to skin a cat, and football is no different. I would rather not get too much into the scheme stuff because we would like to have some surprises out there in that first game or two.”

Added Gill: “We’re gonna do some things maybe just slightly different than we’ve done in the past, but it’s not gonna be a whole lot.”

Throughout the offseason, Torbush talked about improving the defense with better speed and better depth. On his way out, he continued to stress the importance of those elements while also touting how much a year of experience would help this year’s defense.

“There’s no question that will help them be better this year,” he said. “The more battle-tested you get and the experience that you gain, you can’t replace that.”

Torbush also was happy to give his endorsement to KU’s new defensive bosses.

“I have no doubt that the defense will be in great hands with Vic,” Torbush said. “I’ve known Vic a long, long time. He’s a tremendous football coach, he’s got great knowledge and will be a great leader of men. I’ve been around coach Wyatt for a number of years and he’s been around some great football coaches. I don’t have any doubt that he’ll be a great defensive coordinator, as well.”

Torbush continued: “This program’s not gonna miss a beat. It’s just a situation right now that I feel like I need to move on with my life. I’ll never forget my time here. I’ve been at some great universities. Academically, it’s a great school. Athletically, it’s a great school. It’s got great tradition, great coaching staff, great facilities. They’ve got everything that needs to be here to have a chance to succeed.”

Comments

kujayhox 2 years, 10 months ago

we could also run the 3-4 how green bay does it (blitzing two lb's every down and sending them in zone on third down) there arent many colleges that do that and we could be successful with it.

how i see it, we dont really have a whole lot to lose this season. if we can get 3 or more wins, the season is a success in my eyes and if we somehow surprise the world and get into a bowl, all these fair weather fans can just eat a big bowl of all the s**t they have been talking this off season.

RCJH GO KU!!

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 10 months ago

gdkadjayhawk Its nice to hear from you again.

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 10 months ago

Kansas defense is not going to be any better than last year. Don't expect the team to be any better than last year as we still have Gillest as a coach.

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not against KU using a 3-4, but I just don't see the personnel on the roster to use it effectively on a regular basis. KU doesn't have a DT that is physically capable of being a two gap defender that is required to have a good 3-4 defense. If Shealy wants to use it in passing situations to create some confusion on the other team's OLine by trying to guess who is blitzing and who isn't, I'm fine with that, but I don't see anything good coming out of using it as a base defense. The Big 12 appears to be going back to more of a run first mentality with a lot of schools and if KU does use a 3-4 most of the time, teams are going to be running through and around KU's DLine. If KU doesn't have players that are physically capable of plugging up the holes on the line, the run defense is going be near the bottom of the national rankings next season.

vd 2 years, 10 months ago

Scareysmart ran the 3-4, and the big 12 ran the ball down their throats.

kureignman 2 years, 10 months ago

I would love to see us in the 3-4, but it is a pretty major change, which could lead to a long season. But with the tough schedule next year, why not give it a try so maybe we will be better the following season.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 10 months ago

haydenhawkco.....what are you apurseshoppingexperience's little bTh??? You sound like you care way to much about what purse boy posts.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the article, Matt. I'm a little surprised you were able to get this much info out of coaches Shealy & Wyatt.

Keep up the great work with your football insights.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 10 months ago

I wish Torbush this best, but I won't miss his give up 60+ points his gains per game

JHWKDW 2 years, 10 months ago

I had a weird feeling that was going to happen with Singletary coming here!He ran that defense in San Francisco!

mandomax 2 years, 10 months ago

thanks for posting, APCE. Very insightful as your posts usually are.

"Though he won't be around to see it,"... my father has had prostate cancer for years, and it isn't necessarily or even often terminal, so I imagine Carl will be around to see the new D unit. Unless of course this is a commentary on how often the Hawks will be televised this season...

I've been looking for KU to switch to a 3-4 for years now. I'm surprised we haven't, considering how pass-oriented the Big 12(10) has been recently. I guess now they feel like we have the depth at LB to make the switch, and it will certainly help our thin D line be better rested. I'm excited to maybe see Dorsey at nose tackle, and a speedier Oporum and Agostinho and Lewandowski on either side.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup!

That's my tribute to Dave from the show Storage Wars. Just letting you know I'm here.