Friday, June 10, 2011

Former KU guard Royce Woolridge to transfer to Washington State

Kansas guard Royce Woolridge pushes the ball up court past Washburn's Jeff Reid in the second half of the exhibition game, Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former Kansas University basketball guard Royce Woolridge announced Friday that he will transfer to Washington State University.

Woolridge, a 6-foot-3 freshman from Phoenix, also visited Pepperdine. He said he was excited to play in the Pac-12 Conference because of its proximity to his hometown.

He will sit out this season in accordance with NCAA transfer rules.

For more on this story, see Saturday’s Journal-World.

Comments

fhqwhgads 8 years, 7 months ago

lawrence is closer to phoenix than pullman but OKAY

jayhawktalk 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm assuming you are just defending Royce, which I certainly appreciate... Kudos for that. No one should be knocking Royce. He doesn't deserve it.

That said, 1. Tell someone to learn to read via text... Would you use sign language (improper sign language to boot) to tell someone to learn sign language? 2. Using stupidity to counter stupidity, and/or ignorance to counter ignorance... Is that ever effective?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I have a strong feeling orbiter was being ironic in his response.

jayhawktalk 8 years, 7 months ago

Not sure I would use the term "ironic", but the intent didn't escape me.

Dan Pawlowski 8 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps satirical would be a better choice of words. That said if it did not escape you then why did you lecture orbiter?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Satirical may be a better term. Irony -- in the literary sense, however -- can be used as a manner of expressing contradictory impulses or attitudes opposite to what is ostensibly stated. I may be making a big stretch in suggesting orbiter was doing so (as BoulderHawk may be more accurate in saying he/she was satirizing our cultures current level of reading comprehension and use of language), but, as you say, my point is clear. And in my eyes, plausible.

And Boulder, I think that jayhawktalk was referring to my intent, not orbiter's. In that, however, I certainly could be wrong.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I believe the point being made in the article was that playing in the PAC 12 would keep him closer to him. I.E. He would be playing @ Arizona, AZ State, USC, UCLA, etc which are games his relatives are more likely to be able to attend.

fhqwhgads 8 years, 7 months ago

ku plays most of the teams in the pac 10 every year anyway but OKAY

Truth34 8 years, 7 months ago

this was pretty clear to any other reader who has reading comprehension skills beyond that of a second graders. the pac 12 schools = closer to home than big 12 schools, doesn't say anything about lawrence to phoenix v. pullman to phoenix. and ku doesn't play "most of the teams in the pac 10 every year", and even if they did, they don't have 2 games with them a year like wash st does with some conference foes.

fhqwhgads is just an idiot.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Yee of little faith.

Royce would have been playing a lot this season for KU.

What a dope.

Just as Quintrel would have been playing a lot for KU last season and even more this.

Just as CJ Henry would have been playing for KU last season and this.

In the age of early departures for the L, and flighty recruits that string coaches out even past signing dead lines, if you are a bubble player, your best move is to stay put and keep getting better.

Look at Tyrel and Brady. It surely seemed logical for them to bail after their first seasons at KU, but they hung in and wound up as cornerstones their senior seasons. Brady played through not one but two OADs and still managed 20-30 mpg.

Elijah? People were saying he should bail to get more PT elsewhere. But he was key down the stretch last year and he is a cornerstone this season and next. No matter who Self lands next season in the back court, they are just not going to be able to force Elijah off the court.

Come on, players, KU would be better off if you just stayed put, and so would you.

Quintrel got abandoned in Vegas by Unibrow and he could bang for us right now.

Royce is going out to ride Wyatt Waters plate boats into oblivion in Pullman, while he could be doing some great things for the Legacy.

A lot is wrong with this picture.

KU is short handed, because two guys got impatient.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Q has 2 more yrs at Vegas and I don't think anyone could have predicted the rapid progress of the Morris brothers after only one season. I'm sure he felt his prospects were bleak. Too bad though. If he had red-shirted, he would be a major player as a Jayhawk for 2 more seasons and a solid contributor last year.

orbiter 8 years, 7 months ago

"He said he was excited to play in the Pac-12 Conference because of its proximity to his hometown."

--um, the Pac 12 schools (the majority of them) are closer to his hometown, not Pullman specifically. Tuscon, Tempe, SLC, LA. OKAY?

If you try real hard someday you'll be a smart clown, but for now....

Kevin Studer 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow. Orbiter took his angry pills today.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 7 months ago

He should of chosen New Mexico State, close to phoenix and they have a pretty cool gym....the pit....ranked in ESPN's top ten venues.....good luck Royce

jayhawktalk 8 years, 7 months ago

Good luck, Royce. Sorry to see you go, but wishing you the best.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

WOW! Things must be REALLY slow when

Former KU guard Royce Woolridge to transfer to Washington State

generates this much excitement.

Theutus 8 years, 7 months ago

Royce is a class act, I hope he finds success at Washington...

Nobody should be knocking this kid... You only get 4 years of eligibility and for most, that's the last time they play competitively... Royce obviously felt that he wouldn't see much PT at Kansas, and i'm sure he had a heart to heart with Self who probably confirmed it...

Royce is doing what he feels is best for him, there is nothing wrong with that... He was classy in how he handled the situation, and I'll be a fan of his throughout his career.

Jeremy Bolinger 8 years, 7 months ago

I too think Royce was a good kid. Had him in a class of mine. Very intelligent. Just wished he'd have been smarter about this decision. Staying at KU is better than rotting away at Washington State. Oh well. He got to suit up and run out of the tunnel for a premier team like Kansas. Im sure that's something he will never forget and always cherish. I think we all would!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

Love how he still speaks highly of his experience on The Hill.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

That was my thought too.

Although, there is a considerable difference between the PAC 12 and the WCC. I mean, San Franciso and Portland are powerhouses, but after that....

rockchalkjjjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Thought this might be a stable season. Oh well, let the madness begin. What is wrong with our recruiting system that so many guys are recruited but apparently aren't actually good? Are kids just chess pieces? Just try one out for a season and discard him if it doesn't work out? Shouldn't that be something that is known ahead of time? And how about like it used to be where if someone was on the team, good or bad, they either stayed or left early for the association? Getting a little tired of colleges not wanting to make any effort in helping someone improve. It's to the point anymore where any coach looks good only because he lets someone go that could have been good with coaching in favor of some superstud who is already supposedly great or has already been coached. Is loyalty even a word anymore in college athletics?

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

Classy kid!!! Best of luck, Royce!!! Just not enough available minutes for him.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate, my time commitment to this LJW thread undergoes constant satisfactory embellishments from your point of view and unique take on hoops articles. The Jayhawks would, indeed, be a much more formidable team in 2011-12 with Quintrel and Royce on the roster. Evidently, those kids were never transfused with enough crimson and blue to understand the power of the legacy, biding time on the bench until time had come for their number to be called. We live in an age of instant gratification. Commitments are like Timex watches or most electronic devices, procured for brief use before hasty replacement. Such transfers signify a two-way street between players and coaches. However, I tend to believe that Bill Self felt unsettled at the departure of both of these kids. I presume that the Selby project unhinged Royce's dedication to the progam. This one and done thing is a disruptive shrieking nightmare for traditionally steady dynasties like Kansas Hoops. Bill Self either chooses or is forced to walk a precipitous recruiting tightrope. I hope the BenMac commitment does not turn in to another quick departure. Annually, I feel much more respect for and appreciation of the recruits who spend 3-5 years in the Jayhawk fold. I suppose that is where I have been coming from in my super admiration for those league titles vs. Final Four frustrations. I am at the point of grinding my molars when I read that our coaching staff is in hot pursuit of another Top 10 rated recruit...unless perhaps it is a Harrison Barnes who seemed to have his priorities in order from his junior year of high school or before. Anyway, jaybate, your take on LJW sports articles stirs my own thinking and writing much more than did the original articles, in most cases. Thanks.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

So much for "I want to play right away"....

Gary Kreutzer 8 years, 7 months ago

You ever seen the Pepperdine campus? Screw basketball i'm going for four years of Malibu surf and babes.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes, its nice, and Johnny Carson used to have breakast at an old coffee shot nearby, that has since been torn down, but Pepperdine spawned Arthur Laffer and the Laffer Curve and the world economy has never been operated rationally, nor even near rationally since. And, if that weren't bad enough (and it surely is), Pepperdine spawned Jim Warlock, er, Jim Harrick, too.

I always thought it should have been called Pepperdyne--pepper power. :-)

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Yawn.....I wish him well.......but yawn.

Steve Brown 8 years, 7 months ago

When ROyce signed someone from his town wrote us to look out, he would impress us. I replied, "not likely" as we aren't easy to impress. We get impressed with 2 time consensus All.Americans, Final Four MVP, National Championships, Four straight Conference Titles during his stay here. I said we would welcome him, yet maybe be a stretch to be 'awed' by him,

I wish to apologize, I am impressed.

From what I see, he did what was asked, kept his nose clean, did his work on court and in school. I would have preferred to see him stay and likely get some real minutes.

He is good enough to start in half the programs and get sig minutes in half of the other half, just not here as a rookie. Not his fault. I have a hunch this is the kind of kid we want in the program and glad he invested time here, wish we had minutes for him yet we didn't, so be it.

Royce, we hope you look back fondly on your time here. You impressed me with your maturity. Best wishes, Rock Chalk.

jayhawktalk 8 years, 7 months ago

Man, I'm loving this post. Fantastic message and I couldn't agree more. +1

Jaminrawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Anyone else wonder what he might have done had he decided to wait a few months before transferring? I have to believe he would get minutes net year since we didn't add Lacey.

LeBo 8 years, 7 months ago

Good Giddens! {sic} Has too high of a self ego. His real personality is reserved. Reserved a spot on the bench for another year at Washington State. KU was that bad that you are willing to sit out another year? How has transferring from KU turn out, Appleton, Quintrell, Padgett, Giddens, Cider, and so forth. You have just kill your chance of going professional elder adolescent!