Originally published June 9, 2011 at 12:00a.m., updated June 11, 2011 at 12:23a.m.

Kirk Hinrich joins four No. 1 seeds on KUsports.com All-Decade Team

Check out this blog for more details on the KUSports.com All-Decade Team. A KUSports.com account is required to vote. Sign up now if you don't have one.

After five weeks of voting, the KUSports.com All-Decade Team has been chosen by the fans.

Kirk Hinrich, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Nick Collison and Drew Gooden won their respective position brackets to earn the honor of being announced to the KUSports.com All-Decade Team.

On Monday, a two-day voting period will begin to determine the KUSports.com Player of the Decade. Each of the five players above will be on the ballot.

KUSports.com users will be able to vote once per day for their favorite player.

Large image

Point guards bracket: June 7 update

Final results from Day 1 of point guard voting:

Sherron Collins 1,093 votes (96.8 percent); Brett Ballard 36 votes (3.2 percent).

Russell Robinson 973 votes (85.8 percent), Tyshawn Taylor 161 votes (14.2 percent).

Final results from Day 2 of point guard voting:

Aaron Miles 705 votes (98.1 percent); Jeff Hawkins 14 votes (1.9 percent).

Kirk Hinrich 717 votes (98.9 percent); Elijah Johnson 8 votes (1.1 percent).

Semifinal No. 1:

Sherron Collins 343 votes (70.6 percent); Russell Robinson 143 votes (29.4 percent).

Semifinal No. 2:

Kirk Hinrich 459 votes (90.5 percent); Aaron Miles 48 votes (9.5 percent).

Final:

Kirk Hinrich 756 votes (81.6 percent); Sherron Collins 171 votes (18.4 percent)

Large image

Shooting guards bracket: June 8 update

Final results from Day 1 of shooting guard voting:

Mario Chalmers 843 votes (99.8 percent); Josh Selby 2 votes (0.2 percent).

Tyrel Reed 547 votes (64.8 percent); Kenny Gregory 297 votes (35.2 percent).

Final results from Day 2 of shooting guard voting:

Jeff Boschee 470 votes (91.8 percent); Michael Lee 42 votes (8.2 percent).

Keith Langford 510 votes (99.4 percent); Luke Axtell 3 votes (0.6 percent).

Semifinal No. 1:

Mario Chalmers 429 votes (92.5 percent); Tyrel Reed 35 votes (7.5 percent).

Semifinal No. 2:

Keith Langford 581 votes (65.8 percent); Jeff Boschee 302 votes (34.2 percent).

Final:

Mario Chalmers 423 votes (84.3 percent); Keith Langford 79 (15.7 percent).

Large image

Small forwards bracket: June 9 update

Final results from Day 1 of small forward voting:

Brandon Rush 602 votes (99.5 percent); Alex Galindo 3 votes (0.5 percent).

Brady Morningstar 510 votes (84.2 percent); J.R. Giddens 96 votes (15.8 percent).

Final results from Day 2 of small forward voting:

Xavier Henry 355 votes (84.5 percent); Bryant Nash 65 votes (15.5 percent).

Nick Bradford 262 votes (62.5 percent); Travis Releford 157 votes (37.5 percent).

Semifinal No. 1:

Brandon Rush 496 votes (91.7 percent); Brady Morningstar 45 votes (8.3 percent).

Semifinal No. 2:

Xavier Henry 189 votes (54.9 percent); Nick Bradford 155 votes (45.1 percent).

Final:

Brandon Rush 368 votes (98.7 percent); Xavier Henry 5 votes (1.3 percent).

Large image

Power forwards bracket: June 10 update

Final results from Day 1 of power forward voting:

Nick Collison 515 votes (98.1 percent); Christian Moody 10 votes (1.9 percent).

Darrell Arthur 409 votes (77.9 percent); Julian Wright 116 votes (22.1 percent).

Final results from Day 2 of power forward voting:

Marcus Morris 414 votes (74.6 percent); Darnell Jackson 141 votes (25.4 percent).

Wayne Simien 512 votes (92.3 percent); Thomas Robinson 43 votes (7.7 percent).

Semifinal No. 1:

Nick Collison 389 votes (93.3 percent); Darrell Arthur 28 votes (6.7 percent).

Semifinal No. 2:

Wayne Simien 398 votes (77.6 percent); Marcus Morris 115 votes (22.4 percent).

Final:

Nick Collison 405 votes (77.6 percent); Wayne Simien 117 votes (22.4 percent).

Large image

Centers bracket: June 11 update

Final results of Day 1 of center voting:

Drew Gooden 498 votes (98.8 percent); Jeff Carey 6 votes (1.2 percent).

Sasha Kaun 444 votes (88.1 percent); Jeff Graves 60 votes (11.9 percent).

Final results of Day 2 of center voting:

Cole Aldrich 523 votes (99.4 percent); David Padgett 3 votes (0.6 percent).

Markieff Morris 482 votes (91.8 percent); Eric Chenowith 43 votes (8.2 percent).

Semifinal No. 1:

Drew Gooden 364 votes (86.5 percent); Sasha Kaun 57 votes (13.5 percent).

Semifinal No. 2:

Cole Aldrich 283 votes (83.2 percent); Markieff Morris 57 votes (16.8 percent).

Final:

Drew Gooden 296 votes (72.9 percent); Cole Aldrich 110 votes (27.1 percent).

Comments

Kyle Rohde 3 years, 2 months ago

Shocked to see Collison with such a big lead so far. This was absolutely the toughest choice yet - both of those guys were perfect examples of what you want a Jayhawk to be, staying four years, staying out of trouble and developing into All-Americans. I went with Nick for no better reason than I think he got even more out of his talent than Wayne. Not an insult to Wayne at all.

Thomas Michaud 3 years, 2 months ago

Literally had to look at the full statistical comparison between the two over at statsheet.com (from the link provided just after the basic comparisons http://bit.ly/m0aRjM ) ... Considering Wayne played in fewer games, his stats either tie or beat Nick in many categories (but only slightly) ... Consider this: Wayne had a better FT%, fewer Turnovers Per Game and a higher offensive rating ... But Nick was better at shot blocking and steals.

So @rohdek, I'm with you in saying this was a photo finish (in my book) and surprise Wayne hasn't gotten more votes -- but he did get mine ... Although I can understand why anyone would choose Nick.

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you both, tough to pick one here, and surprised Nick is ahead by as large a margin as he is.

I was looking for a quarter to flip to make my choice, because lets face it either one would be awesome.

And then I remembered Nick's game against Texas in Allen Field House and that gave him the edge for me. 24 points, 23 rebounds and getting Dick Vitales last standing ovation (his only other one was for David Robinson of Navy) as he walked off the court after picking up his 5th foul in a 90 to 87 Kansas victory.

jayhwkr77 3 years, 2 months ago

he gave a standing ovation to Jerry Stackhouse when he was at Carolina

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, don't remember that one. I got chills from seeing Robinson break the rim and get the standing O, and when Nick fouled out against Texas I was upset cause he was carrying that KU squad that night(KU had lost the previous two games) and you could see his spirit on the court after that foul, then when Dickie V got on his feet, WOW!!!

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

I was at the game and it was one of the best college BBall games I have ever seen. At the time, Duke Vitale indicated that it was only the second time he had ever given a player a standing ovation.

Kyle Rohde 3 years, 2 months ago

I think that's incorrect - he's always said he only did it twice and I watched the Stackhouse Carolina years religiously, and don't remember that.

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

You must include both of these players. 6th man category, put Collison in as a Center or something.

Having said that, sometimes it goes beyond stats...

"I gave my right arm for that man."

Scott Smetana 3 years, 2 months ago

Toss up. Period. I think Nick is ahead due to his NBA career, but we're not voting on that.

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

Wayne got sick and was unable to continue or who knows????

But look at what Wayne is doing with his life now, it might be said he is doing greater work.

I would take both and get rid of a guard or something. ????????

Ed Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

The saddest part of Wayne's career was in the fall after being traded to Miami (I think) he contracted salmonellla poisining and it went systemic. It is very rare but it literally took him down for months and he never fully recovered professionally. Had that not happened I believe his career would have skyrocketed beyond the incredible play we saw in the playoffs this year with Nick. Being a Dallas fan it was tough not cheering for those awesome defensive plays and rebounds that made all Jayhawks love him when he was doing it against the Mavs. Ditto for Chalmers. He has far surpassed what I thought he would do in the NBA and yes I cheered for him, too, against the Mavs...until the 4th three last night. :P

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

I personally would like LJWorld to ban any of the 43 people that voted for Chenoworthless over MkMorris, that aren't related to him, from participating.

Ed Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

I think Chenowith was better as a frosh but boy was he a disappointment after that. Especially after he broke his team mate's finger blocking a jam in practice. I guess the a$$ chewing he got from that must have really hurt his feelings! :)

truefan 3 years, 2 months ago

Simien was an absolute beast for us, but I'm giving Collison my vote solely because he was more durable and a better defender. With either player, it was almost a guaranteed 2 points if they got the ball in the paint. I miss those guys.

murph 3 years, 2 months ago

Like others, I find this one the most difficult to choose. Nick should have been included with the centers - he can, and did, do either - and then we wouldn't be faced with having to pick.

79ictjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Very close call, two great great players!

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 2 months ago

All I can remember is when Gooden had his sh*t packed in FF game against Maryland he backed down and gave up. Crazy.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 2 months ago

Steve Gantz 3 years, 2 months ago

If only Gooden had stayed one more year, that would've been one of the all time great teams. This choice was my toughest yet. Cole's defensive stats aren't given above. His offensive game was behind Gooden's but his defense, wow! I really don't remember if Gooden had a very good defensive game or not, but offensively, wow!

orbiter 3 years, 2 months ago

Drew over Cole, it's not even close.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

Funny how no one's talked about agonizing over the decision between Hinrich and Collins. I'm still completely mystified as to how Collins could have been the one seed over Hinrich, and judging by the overwhelming voting, most people agree with me. I would love to see an explanation as to why that choice was made. Anyone from the LJW care to explain?

To me Hinrich not only should have been the one seed at PG, but is the clear choice as player of the decade.

ClydeTurnbuckle 3 years, 2 months ago

I would much rather field a backcourt of Collins and Hinrich than Hinrich and Chalmers. Kirk played a lot of 2 next the Aaron Miles.

ForwardThinker 3 years, 2 months ago

No way would I pick Collins over Chalmers. Chalmers was just as good a shooter and was 100 times the defender that Collins was. Chalmers and Hinrich in the back court with their shooting, height and defense would be deadly.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

+1000, with one exception: I wouldn't say Chalmers was "just as good a shooter" as Collins. Perhaps overall they were equal, but in the clutch I would take Chalmers every time. And don't forget the random, incredibly frustrating turnovers that Collins would come up with at the most inopportune times. I hate to be too negative, but I think Collins was one of the most overrated players in KU basketball history. He had some glorious moments, the most obvious being in the championship game. But he also had countless inexplicable lapses that could drive you to drink.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't see how you leave Moulaye Niang off this list....

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

Shouldn't Matt Kleinmann get some mention for his actually being on the team for an entire decade?

Matt Stephan 3 years, 2 months ago

Notice how the All-Decade Team is primarily players from the two of the best teams of the decade in 2002 (Kirk Hinrich, Nick Collison, Drew Gooden) and 2008 (Mario Chalmers & Brandon Rush).

Also, notice what would be the Second All-Decade Team is primarily players from two underachieving teams of the decade in 2005 (Keith Langford & Wayne Simien) and 2010 (Sherron Collins, Xavier Henry, Cole Aldrich).

murph 3 years, 2 months ago

Picking THE player for the decade is going to be tough. I'll have trouble choosing between Kirk and Nick. Many will think of Mario and The Shot, but I don't remember that he made the kind of difference both Kirk and Nick did to the overall body of work. Besides, he, Brandon and Drew only gave 3 years each at Kansas. With Kirk and Nick we got the full four, and not one, but two trips to the Final Four.

I think I'll settle on Kirk because he was a starter longer, and played so much of the time at the point, the most important of all positions. But it won't be easy to skip Nick - just as it was very painful to have to leave Wayne out.

And Cole's squelch job on the "player of the year" and Midwest defector Tyler Hansborough in the FF is possibly my favorite all-time Jayhawk Basketball memory. The Shot was a thrill, but without Cole keeping Tyler under wraps we wouldn't get to the Final for Mario to shoot.

KJD 3 years, 2 months ago

Kirk is the man.

He played three positions and could have been the #2 seed for small forwards in this vote. Miles was the point, Boschee was the two, and Hinrich started as the small forward for a Final Four team that was every bit as good as that Maryland team they lost to. Maryland and KU was a much better game than that stinker of a final between Indiana and Maryland.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe you're right in general, Jacobpaul. But I can't help but be biased against Gooden when it comes to picking player of the decade because of his horrendous performance against Maryland in the 2002 Final Four. And it doesn't help that he left after three years. Hands down it has to be Hinrich.

oldalum 3 years ago

I think Collison did a lot to make Drew look good.