Thursday, June 9, 2011

DeAndre Daniels talks about recruiting rumors

DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., who committed to UConn on Tuesday, told Zagsblog.com he considered enrolling at Kansas University or Texas second semester of the past school year.

“I was considering those schools, but I guess everybody was just talking about I’m going to end up going there and I’m going there,” Daniels said. “I was never talking so everybody was just making up rumors. But I was considering those schools.”

Asked about rumors that he preferred Texas and his father liked Kansas, Daniels said: “It wasn’t true.”

He said he had never been on the UConn campus, but his parents visited there recently. He said he likely would stay at UConn two seasons and coach Jim Calhoun told him he would be staying at the school, not retiring.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 5 months ago

What the hell does he mean everybody was talking but he wasn't? Yeah, whatever! But then he signs with a school which he never even visits? So what if your parents visit they aren't going to school there. It's obvious he has no media savy and should just not speak because it makes no sense.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 5 months ago

it was never about what school he liked, it was all about what school would offer to give his parents what they were asking for him.

why else would you narrow your list to three by signing day, then back out and start adding new schools every other day?

his dad has been shopping him around, apparently UCONN was willing to pay the asking price

Carter Patterson 9 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like he is reading the book of Cam Newton.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts exactly.

"My parents went there to work the deal so I didn't have to 'know' what happened."

What a joke. Our good ole NCAA rulebook at work.

kureader 9 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. I moved on months ago. I'm surprised we're surprised ... that he didn't choose KU.

It does seem unusual that a kid would chose a school he didn't visit. It's not like UConn was in his back yard, or that he had a long history with them.

It seems more unusual that his parents DID visit UConn. ... almost looks like UConn recruited the parents, while everyone else recruited the kid.

bradh 9 years, 5 months ago

I disagree. I knew Daniels had an interview and I was curious about what he would say. I do think this article probably should close the chapter on Daniels.

Nick Adams 9 years, 5 months ago

So absurd that you not only clicked on it, you read it, and then you decided to post on it? Man, I'm sure that's the exact opposite of what ljworld was hoping would happen, thanks for playing...

Kevin Studer 9 years, 5 months ago

As flaky as he is, he's already saying he'll be at college 2 years? Yeah. Bet on that, because, you know, he's a ROCK.

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 5 months ago

Sounds flaky to choose a school without first visiting it. But, if I'm not mistaken, Julian Wright did the same thing.

klineisanazi 9 years, 5 months ago

That is true, but Self had been recruiting him from his Illinois days.

jartiv 9 years, 5 months ago

Jim Calhoun going to be there in 2 years? can someone call Vegas to find out what the odds are on this?

floridajayhawks 9 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if the NCAA will look into this one?

Cameron Schienebeck 9 years, 5 months ago

KU dodged a bullet with this one. The kid may be good but he's out for himself. He's gonna be 1 and done no matter what. Let UCONN deal with it and we'll take that scholarship we know we have open and offer it to one of the studs in the 2012 class.

Chayse Patrick 9 years, 5 months ago

We could of used his talents, but we DON'T need all the drama!!! Hell look at all the crap he created and he wasn't even signed with anyone yet? Just another OAD we needed to pass on anyway. I'm surprised crook Cal didn't get him. Prolly be a flop like Selby I'm guessing!!!!!!!!!!!

notigers4me 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree we really shouldn't get excited about any one and done. I don't understand why we go after these guys.Our last two one and dones certainly didn't help our team that much. If anything they take away from a kid who might not be as good initially but who turns out to be a game changer later.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 5 months ago

Great commitment...I'm going to give 2 years to a 4 year school. I didn't think that UConn offered associate degrees. Or Maybe he took a lot of AP courses and walking into college maybe he has 60 credits already.

JRandall 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe it will take him 2 yrs to be declared eligible :) So glad he is not coming to KU....

tis4tim 9 years, 5 months ago

"He said he likely would stay at UConn two seasons ..."

Then he went on to say, "But I might stay three seasons. Of course It's possible I might leave after one, though there's a slim chance I stay for all four. By the way, do you think I should wear this shirt or this one for my first day on campus?"

chaggs 9 years, 5 months ago

And God help us if someone asks where he wants to go to eat!

brooksmd 9 years, 5 months ago

And I might enroll for second semester at KU or Texas. 50 to 1 he's OAD.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

You Con made an offer that his parents couldn't refuse. Oh, by the way, this is the first mention that DD even had a mother, much less involve her in the recruiting process.

I think the Henrys and the Daniels must play cards every Saturday night!

Like I posted earlier, shoot for Shabazz, Perry, Kaleb and Nino along with Zach in 2012!!

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

haha ! Love the You Con title - that should be standard for any reference to ....You Con from here on out.

jdhawk1988 9 years, 5 months ago

do his parents get a bonus if he stays two years??? This is still all very weird that a kid will go to a school that he has never visited and with a coach he has only spoken to on the phone.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

"He said he had never been on the UConn campus, but his parents visited there recently."

I guess it's lucky for him that his parents didn't visit the Chinhoyi University of Technology in Zimbabwe.....

David Black 9 years, 5 months ago

Who cares about this guy? Let's move on. Rock Chalk.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Any truth to a rumor that his dad may be an AAU coach, or something, that may have been looking for a full assistant's job and may have arranged one at UConn?

Phoggin_Loud 9 years, 5 months ago

All of these rumors, surrounding me every day. I just need some time, some time to get awaaaaay, oh.

I hope I"m not the only one that remembers this "80's classic.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Thank you so much Phoggin_Loud - I've spent 25 years trying to get/keep that song out of my head. Let the recurring nightmares begin again.............

Phoggin_Loud 9 years, 5 months ago

My bad. That one does stay in the brain for a while.

How about this one:

"I saw you (and him)...walking in the rain. You were holding hands and I'll...never be the same."

Even better, picture it being DeAndre and Jim Calhoun...walking in the rain.

Sorry to do that to you, but I couldn't resist.

Bill Blomander 9 years, 5 months ago

Thats' OK,..he's sounds like another,... Josh Selby,....another Mr Hot Shot !!!! Mr. cough cough, Choker. We don't need attitudes here. We need people who want to play for a Great Organization !! We'll do just fine !! Rock Chalk Forever !!!

Michael Pannacciulli 9 years, 5 months ago

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is the last Daniels story I ever have to read on KUSPORTS.COM. I can't take it!!!! I'd rather hear about Congressman Weiner 24/7 at this point...ok well maybe not that either. You get my point. LJW - here's some summer stories you can chase:

-Follow a player to his home town and do a solid in depth story, talking to friends, old coaches, girlfriends, pastors, whatever. -A complete historical breakdown of Bill Self's coaching successes - is he a shoe in yet for the College Basketball Hall Of Fame? -Do a big "where are they now" with as many KU ballers as you possibly could.

...if I give you more ideas, i'll expect to get paid.

davehawkSWK 9 years, 5 months ago

Great post! Why is there not an article on the successes from KU sports? Many of you may not remember when Jo Jo White was playing for the 'Hawks. I do, and we had to listen to KU games on a transistor radio!. Yet there is nothing on the posts that extol the virtues of J-Hawks past. Succss breeds success and those athletes coming out of high school will recognize the tradition that we have at KU and will want to play for an institution that is held in high regard from all opponents. I was not pleased with the Henry saga because he was told he was a superstar without ever stepping on the hallowed court of AFH. We will be ok without DD because of the ethic that prevails at KU. Great coaching staff, great recruiting, and a VERY great fan-base. RCJH

djhawk75 9 years, 5 months ago

This decision simply does not pass the "smell test." And this coming after UConn was slapped for recruiting violations. Things that make you go, hmmmm.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't know much about this IMG Academy, does that stand for Indecisive Manipulative Games ?

Ok. I'm done now.