Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kansas last in Big 12 in Director’s Cup

Kansas University’s athletic department ranked in 87th place of 263 teams overall — last of all Big 12 schools — in the current Learfield Sports Directors Cup standings.

The Directors Cup assesses points for all sports in a school year and ranks all schools Nos. 1 to 263. Final standings will be announced next month.

Oklahoma, which has accumulated 788.75 points, is in 12th place overall to lead all Big 12 schools, followed by Texas (No. 16, 703 points), Texas A&M (No. 17, 684.5 points), Nebraska (No. 28, 507 points), Oklahoma State (No. 40, 416.5 points), Missouri (No. 44, 386.3 points), Baylor (No. 45, 379.25 points), Texas Tech (No. 56, 308 points), Iowa State (No. 57, 296.3 points), Colorado (No. 65, 253 points) and Kansas State (No. 73, 206.5 points). KU currently has 159.5 points.

KU currently has more points than seven schools in power conferences — the ones that net automatic berths in BCS bowl games (Big 12, ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC). Providence is ranked No. 94, followed by Pitt (No. 105), Mississippi State (No. 115), Cincinnati (No. 129), Rutgers (No. 138), DePaul (No. 168) and Washington State (No. 256).

Stanford is No. 1 overall with 1,387.50 points. Ohio State, North Carolina, Duke and Penn State round out the top five.

Final standings will be announced on June 17.

Comments

Janet Scott 3 years, 4 months ago

The facts are the facts, and these facts represent complete failure by Lew Perkins (the once highest paid AD in the world) and the KU Administration in Strong Hall. Overall, KU "sports" are an embarrassment and a sordid joke. It hurts me to say so.

And now it's up to Zenger. Nice guy, yes; but can he lead and take the aggressive actions to at least convert KU athletics (less basketball) into a competitive mode? Such remains to be seen. First, Henrickson must be shown the door, followed by many others who head the KU minor sports. Gill should get his full five years to prove he can build a competitive program.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

You're the best! It's Lew! Lew! Lew! Look at who he hired! Everyone has been a failure!

Oh but for some reason you believe turner is going to pan out!!!

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It's because we give partial scholarships in most sports besides basketball and football. We continually lose our best in-state athletes to other state schools that offer full ride. This is a puzzle considering our athletic budget is in the top tier in the country. Do the math... Where is the money going?

jc1306 3 years, 4 months ago

Division 1 schools can give partial scholarships?

Brian Martin 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes. I had one for track and I was an All American. Embarrassing.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Not a whole lot of people pay attention to this achievement anyway. Win in football and basketball. Nothing else matters. I'm not trying to be mean, but the attendance at other college sporting events besides football, basketball, and baseball, consists of parents and friends of the players. I wouldn't read a whole lot into this "Director's Cup".

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

So first in basketball and last in football puts us in sixth, yaaaaaahoooooo!!!

Kyle Rohde 3 years, 4 months ago

Really NebraskaJayhawk? Being from Nebraska, you should go over to Lincoln sometime and see a women's volleyball match where they average somewhere around 10K fans per game, higher than a lot of men's Big XII basketball teams get. About five years ago, KU had a strong women's volleyball team and a better baseball team too, both of which had good attendance figures. And people have proven they'll come out to women's bball when the team is good too, as seen by the Big XII record attendance for the NIT Championship at AFH two years ago.

Zenger has his work cut out for him; KU has got to be a better overall department than this.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Totally agree and think that is the biggest misconception out there. Our fans would decently support w basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, etc if they were decent. Almost every year the baseball team comes out west and I never go because they stink, but yet I'll fly across the country to catch a couple of hoops games (used to do it for football).

I think I speak for everyone when I say "Sheahon, we're waiting!!!"

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

By the way. Is that where your negativety comes from all the time, Ahpers? Because the badminton team is so bad year in and year out? It'll be alright.

Raymond Wright 3 years, 4 months ago

really? funny how they play in a place that only seats 5000. they average just a little over 5000. which is about what they average in basketball.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Big correction. I'm a Jayhawk living in a hole in the universe called Nebraska. Big difference. Um....yeah...to your remark. If you want to live in Nebraska and cheer on the power of red, go for it. They do support their teams well...all of them. But that's only because there's nothing else in this forsaken land.

Raymond Wright 3 years, 4 months ago

I live in nebraska so i know exactly what your saying. But they do NOT support their basketball program very well.

willie_fu_fu 3 years, 4 months ago

Completly uneducated responce NebraskaJayhawk. Check out some attendence records of schools who have teams that finish in the top 20 year in and year out.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I guess I'm in the minority then. Stone me, but I'm not going to pay to see womens sports unless I know someone playing. And I'm definitely not going to watch a game of badminton. Uneducated on the subject? Perhaps. Answer me this. How well does KU rank nationally when it comes to overall income from athletics? And I'm talking every aspect of it including paraphernalia sales. I think a school is better off putting all their marbles into the two most lucrative sports that have the most national recognition. Pretty sure that's the name of the game. You guys can go watch some rowing. I'll stick to my basketball, football, and baseball.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Say this to yourself and tell me it doesn't hurt: "Iowa State has better athletic programs than KU"

Ouch! And do yourself a favor by not looking at most of the other schools ranked above us. Still waiting, Sheahon!

TKELuke 3 years, 4 months ago

KU doesn't participate in as many sports as other schools. For example Men's Tennis, Wrestling, Gymnastics ....

So really this ranking isn't a far judgment of schools athletic departments. It provides an unfair advantage to schools with larger athletic department budgets for non-revenue sports.

That being said Iowa St has fewer sports and still ranked higher than us... very sad.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 4 months ago

Next year we will improve 2 spots to 10th.

Tone at the top. Chancellor BGL and our new Athletic Director are public servant administrators who have shown zero indication of any change in how athletic teams will be handled. Losing is acceptable, since nothing has changed. The Lawrence community will support winners. The Lawrence community will not support losers.

The fact that Bonnie was not fired the day after Ziggy was hired is all you need to know about embracing a losing attitude.

Sam Constance 3 years, 4 months ago

Try as I might, I just can't seem to care about this.

The only benefit it provides to me, as an alum, is bragging rights. I don't actually care how well any sport that isn't basketball or football does. I love me some KU basketball and football because I enjoy watching those sports and I get to live vicariously through my fellow Jayhawks.

I couldn't care any less about the Director's Cup. The University of Kansas is a UNIVERSITY, not a sports conglomerate. Sports are a fun part of being an alum, but I'm not losing any sleep about how the sports that I don't really care to watch are finishing in the big picture.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Director's Cup...hmm, does anyone know if Lucas or Spielberg still have some eligibility???

We need new sports like Women's Lingerie Football, Team Relay Beer Drinking, Blindfolded Bowling, Real Laser Tag, Coed Naked Paintball, Pinball Wizard League, Machete Dodgeball.....you know, cool sports like these.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 4 months ago

maybe we'll explode in track and field at the NCAAs over the next few days...and move ahead of KSU. (doubt it, but hey it's a thought.)

this report only confirms what a fraud Lew Perkins was as an AD. our greatest moments in all around sports, came from coaches he never hired, and were from recruits who committed to come here, before he showed up. his only claim to fame while he was here, was a ticket scandal, and priority basketball seating. that is it.

i agree from a comment above that so far, the new man is not willing to bite the bullet on some coaches that should be replaced....(womens bball to be specific) but the previous regime's extension of her contract was a mistake, and we probably didn't want to have to justify buying her out.

k-state was 11th..and they smoked us this year...swept in VB, womens bball, baseball, rowing and football. if we can't compete with k-state, then what are we doing in athletics? we had a much better year vs. Moo....and they're the Big 10 wannabe because of all of their great ahletics?

the stakes are higher than ever now....with all the TV exposure and all the money. we spent it like drunken sailors paying Lew's contract and now the ticket scandal....it's time to start making it work for us with quality coaching and big time athletes that can win championships.

all time, this school has won 25 or so Big 12 titles, and 10 national championships in four different sports. the excellence HAS been there. let's start to get it happening....a lot more often.

tailgater 3 years, 4 months ago

Much better against moo?? They nearly doubled us in these standings, they beat us for the 5th straight year in the border showdown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26I_Ba... And you can put your crimson & blue goggles on and say all we care about is basketball, but pretty sure they can just choose to care about is 4 touchdown wins in football. And 14 spots behind KSU? These are our rivals? Just flat out embarrassing.

squawkhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Worse yet, KSU has defeated KU by a margin of 12 - 1 in all (men's and women's) sports over the past year. The only win for KU coming from the home men's BB win this year.