Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mario Chalmers hoping to stay consistent

— Inconsistent through the first three rounds of the NBA playoffs, Miami Heat backup point guard Mario Chalmers has now strung together three productive efforts in the NBA Finals, helping the Heat to take a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series against the Dallas Mavericks.

“It’s about consistency,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra told the South Florida Sun Sentinel on Monday, speaking of the former Kansas University combo guard. “So can he do it again?” Spoelstra added.

After shooting 3-of-8 in each of the series' first two games, Chalmers shot 4-of-8 in Sunday's 88-86 Game 3 victory, each conversion a three-pointer. At 8-of-19 on threes in the series, Chalmers has helped keep the Mavericks’ zone defense honest. He’s the only player on the roster other than LeBron James shooting above 40 percent from beyond the arc in the series.

“He is not afraid and is not going to shy away from the moment,” Spoelstra told the Sun Sentinel.

Averaging 11 points per game, Chalmers is the finals’ only reserve beyond Mavericks’ guard Jason Terry scoring in double figures.

After shooting 13-of-35 in the opening round against the Philadelphia 76ers, Chalmers shot 4-of-15 on three-pointers in the second round against the Boston Celtics.

That was followed by 10-of-16 shooting against the Chicago Bulls in the Eastern Conference finals, a series when he succumbed to the defensive pressure of C.J. Watson, utilized for only 90 minutes over the five games.

But in this series, he has provided relief points.

“Just trying to have no letdowns,” Chalmers told the Sun Sentinel Monday. “You never know when you're going to have this moment again.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 8 years, 7 months ago

WOO HOO! first up to bat from the Left Coast!

Go get 'em Mario! Show those turkeys how to step up and nail those daggers!! We all know you've got lots of clutch shots left in your game, so keep hammering away!!

Rock Chalk, Mario Hawks!!

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Love Mario but hate the heat! LeBron is a thug. Dirk Nowitzki is the mvp and class act of the nba and the epitome of how a pro athlete should act.. Class all the way. Go Mavs but supporting mario...lol

onlylookin2score 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow.. I have been reading posts like this for the last few days... I'm almost in disbelief about all the hating. Lebron James is so far away from a thug, it's laughable. Dwayne Wade can be soft but is one of the most graceful players in the history of the game. LBJ is our generation's Magic Johnson, only better. I hope Dirk gets his championship one day, he is the best international player to ever play. But to act like LBJ is not a class act, thats absolutely ridiculous. Dirk has acted out before, just like LBJ. Dirk is no better of a representative of the NBA, he just has white skin. LBJ should not be ridiculed just because he wanted to bring together a team that could get him a shot at a championship.

denverjhwk720 8 years, 7 months ago

+1. It's fair to hate LeBron because of the team he chose to play for but he's far from a thug.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

Mario is growing fast in Miami. Having Wade and James nail him for his mistakes is helping him greatly. His shooting is clearly a critical factor in spreading the floor. His defense seems to be improving as well.

selfishhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

"nail him for his mistakes."

Has anybody else notice how often Lebron jumps Mario's butt? It's kinda strange, because I think Mario is playing great and then something goes poorly and Lebron is all over Mario.

onlylookin2score 8 years, 7 months ago

I have noticed him yelling at him on the court. And Mario is def. playing well. I cannot understand why the head coach starts Bibby (one of the most consistently overrated pg in the NBA...I can dribble fancy too). However, we cannot, as fans, see exactly what a floor general like LBJ sees and I'm sure he is only trying to help Rio.

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

I love Mario and obviously root for him, but I just can't root for his team. Living in a small market city, I just can't support teams that buy thier way to championships with high dollar free agents..

rcjh88 8 years, 7 months ago

Say what you want about Miami, but Lebron and Bosh took less money to play together with Wade. To me, that is what we want in our pro athletes, the desire to win over anything else! I think LBJ is an arrogant and self centered, but so are all of the other superstars, he is no different! I'm rooting for Miami all the way! I hope they get Mario another ring!!

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 7 months ago

99 million over 6 years vs 120 over 6 years, not hurting for money either way..... read Dan Gilbert's letter about lbj.

Go Mavs first and go Mario also (as long as you lose to the mavs)

denverjhwk720 8 years, 7 months ago

Plus the fact that Florida doesn't have state taxes. I would really like to see real figures of how much he would have made in Ohio, per year, compared to how much he makes in Florida, per year, after taxes.

James got a $96 millon, 5-year contract. He would have gotten $125, 6-year contract if he stayed in Cleveland (the extra year was a big selling point because that's an extra $20+ million that other teams weren't allowed to offer him)

So $19.2 million per year in Miami vs $20.8 million per year in Cleveland. But with the absence of state taxes in Florida? Seems like he didn't give up very much money, if at all, in terms of per year.

phi4life940 8 years, 7 months ago

Mario is playing great! Keep it up Rio!

Haters gonna hate but that won't stop LBJ and co. from getting those rings!!! Go Miami!

nicka 8 years, 7 months ago

jhox -

nba has a salary cap. every team has the same opportunities to "buy a championship" big market or small. dallas is a big market team as well. cuban has paid whatever price it takes to win. stop being so small minded.

sonomahawk42 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with rcjh88 100%. I'm surprised so many people even around here are so quick to jump on the Heat Hate Bandwagon. Nobody seemed to have a problem when Boston added KG and RA to give PP some support and they got a ring their first year. Now it's Miami turn, and I'm ready to see D Wade get another ring [and Chalmers too :) ]. All the talk I keep hearing about Miami 'buying rings' is absurd, everyone knows that LeBron could have made more money elsewhere, but he would rather win than make top dollar (again, isn't that a good thing?). Anyways, I would have left Cleveland too, what did they do to help put him in a position to win? Nothing. RCJH, Go Chalmers. Go Heat.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

The difference between the Heat and Celtics situations was that Danny Ainge was the most responsible for bringing KG and Ray Allen to Boston through trades and not via free agency the way LeBron and Bosh went to Miami. And while LeBron, Wade, and Bosh did take less than max money to play in Miami, that would've been the case regardless of whether or not they chose to play in Miami, Chicago, New York, or anywhere else that was pursuing three elite players.

I don't think most people outside of Cleveland had a problem with LeBron going to Miami, but more of a problem with the way he did it. "The Decision" to me was a pure ego trip trying to convince everyone that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I absolutely loved Greg Doyel's question to LeBron after game 3 about disappearing and LeBron's answer did nothing but confirm that Miami is D-Wade's team and LeBron will NEVER be in MJ's class of all-time greatness.

92Jhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

While I love Danny Manning as much as any 'Hawk fan (freshman in '88), I think that comparing the situation created by Lebron and the teams that had multiple superstars is that those teams were built via the draft and trades. I was a big fan of Lebron AND a fan of the Heat before last summer. MJ never left Chicago, even when he had "no help" (I also think that Pippen was a great player, NOT a Super Star, MJ made him...he did nada when Jordan retired [when he was in his prime] and nothing when he left Chicago), Bird and Magic would never have left Boston or L.A. The Celtic and Laker teams of the 80's and early 90's were built from within. I dislike Lebron because of the way he left Cleveland, the way he turned on his fans and the way he admitted that he will never be Batman, he's Robin and will always be viewed as such (at least by me).

The best thing about sports in America is that we all have our opinions...am I wrong?... probably to some but it's fun debating.

sonomahawk42 8 years, 7 months ago

Just remembered about this from the great Danny Manning. Guess there are a few Jayhawks rooting for success in Miami...

“Michael Jordan was arguably one of the best players of all-time and he still had Scottie Pippen, one of the all-time greats, playing with him. He had Dennis Rodman, another great player, playing with him,” Manning said. “Magic (Johnson) played with Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar) and (James) Worthy. (Larry) Bird played with (Kevin) McHale and (Robert) Parrish. I think LeBron is a student of the game, and I think he realizes that multiple weapons are needed to compete for championships.”

The negative fallout from LeBron’s decision took Manning by surprise.

“I find it funny people out there are giving him a hard time and ripping him for his decision,” Manning said. “He accepted less money, went to a team where he is going to have to share the limelight. He did something that in my eyes is unselfish, and people are knocking him for it. If this was your child and he sacrificed himself for the greater good of the family, so to speak, wouldn’t you be proud of him for that decision? I hope they do very well.”

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 7 months ago

Mario is doing precisely what he is asked to do....D up on the point, and hit the open shot. that's basically it. there are too many shots going up from the Wade-James-Bosh trifecta to allow for any more offense from Mario.

the shot he hit at the end of game two, was pure clutch...a catch and shoot out of bounds play....how many guys can say they had the ball passed to them from a two time league MVP to hit a game tying three pointer in the finals? very few folks....very few.

nicka 8 years, 7 months ago

any cleveland fan that says they're ok with lbj leaving and are just upset about "the decision" is full of $#*+. living in ohio, i can tell you it is pure sour grapes. only thing worse than a buckeye fan is a lebron hater.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

This is no surprise to any of us. The kid has icewater running through his veins.