Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Andre Walker a new name in recruiting

Kansas may be in the running for Andre Walker, a 6-7, 220-pound power forward, who has graduated from Vanderbilt University and decided to play at another school his senior season.

The former Brewster Academy player from Flossmoor, Ill., this week will set up some campus visits, according to a Twitter post from a Brewster coach. The tweet says Walker is considering KU, Northwestern, Xavier and Wichita State.

Walker averaged 3.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.6 assists while logging 17.7 minutes a game for Vandy his junior season. He red-shirted the 2008-09 season after tearing his right ACL and has had some injury problems since. He has one year of eligibility remaining. He does not have to sit out a year after transferring, since he’s already graduated.

KU is still hopeful of landing prize prospect DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. Daniels, who has been silent through most of the recruiting process, has a list of KU, Texas, Oregon, San Diego State and Oklahoma State. UConn also has been trying to get in the mix.

Comments

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 7 months ago

Don't see Walker coming to Kansas! He would bring some experience being a senior, but my opinion is he would probably not see much pt.

ClydeTurnbuckle 8 years, 7 months ago

Why not? We've got the scholie, we get it back at the end of the season, and in the meantime we have a big man insurance policy.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

KU would have the "big man insurance policy." Walker, on the other hand, has no assurances he would even see the floor. I don't mean to speak for Jayhawklegacy, but it seems to me that he is saying it's not the right choice for Walker, not that KU shouldn't go after him. He's a senior, and I'm guessing he would like significant minutes. There is a strong possibility that he would not get that here.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 7 months ago

He's also known to have an attitude problem while at Vandy. Why take on a player with a question mark?

selfishhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Because it's Self!! More than ever, it seems he is just using string and duct tape to get us through this year.

ThePhan 8 years, 7 months ago

Where do you get the idea he had an attitude problem at Vandy? As a Vandy fan, I can tell you that's just not true. He was a glue guy who suffered through injuries, mono, etc. during his time in Nashville, and graduated on time.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree that his stats at Vandy are not stellar. I assume he has value for KU if coach is inviting him here. We do not have a lot of seniors for this year.

John Randall 8 years, 7 months ago

Did you and I read the same report?

I saw nothing about interest from KU, only Walker saying KU would be one of his top choices.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

May I ask why you feel you need to have a picture of Robinson mourning the loss of his mother. Very disrespectful.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 7 months ago

uhh ok. at this late stage in the game it's probably not that big of a risk, and if he's only got one more year, that scholly will free up soon enough. may help in practices as well.

Carter Patterson 8 years, 7 months ago

But would he get a Senior speech if he's already graduated? Hmmmmmm.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

If we have a scholarship open, it is zero risk.

We have two freshmen who were low rated, late signs, "best player available" when we were deperate-type guys behind Robinson and a questionable Withey. And we have a walk-on, Wesley. Lots of uncertainty at the 4-5.

If this guy comes in and he is horrible, he's gone next season anyway, as mentioned above by mpann1818. But we're scraping here to provide depth. If this is all there is, why not?

If he is an attitude issue, as keithmiles05 mentioned, I'd pass. Doubtful Self would bring him in if that were the case, though. Otherwise a no risk depth move.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

"DeAndre appears to be waiting to see if the OAD rule vanishes from college basketball."

Huh, very interesting thought drgnslayr. So do you think he is not making the decision until super late then? I don't believe NBA's collective bargaining agreement runs out until close to the beginning of the semester. Then they may have a lock out. It's a pretty big gamble for the kid if he takes a "wait and see" on the OAD rule. He could be stuck not playing ball anywhere.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

HA! This comment thread just became immediately irrelevant. Gotta love good timing!

Although DD picking somewhere else... yeah... that part not so good.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

HEM,

I was going to post almost the exact same thing in response to mpann above, then looked down and saw your response. Well said.

There is zero risk for KU. He could ride the bench just as easily as not being there at all. The risk is all Walker's. It's his senior year, and I would have to assume he would like to play. Does he go to a high profile school where he may not even see the floor? Or go to a school where he has a good chance to log significant minutes.

There is only a plus side for KU, even if the positives are very minimal.

For him, however, it could be a huge difference.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 7 months ago

no transfers. we'll have a nice recruiting class in 2012. we don't need him.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 7 months ago

i stand corrected on the transfer. i'm getting around quickly in the a.m. and zipping around between emails, sports, news...so i didn't read the full story....forgive me, i'm human.

i still say no. He's one year, he's been hurt and we already have enough guys at the 4-5 spots...plus, he can't play the wing...and he can't learn by the summer.

8808 8 years, 7 months ago

Message to DD and fanbase: We're moving on.

tis4tim 8 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts exactly.

And if nothing else, this guy is a body who can provide five more fouls worth of insulation for our other bigs and competition for our starters as another practice dummy (meant in a non-pejorative sense). As HEM said: it's a zero risk proposition.

msthompson37 8 years, 7 months ago

Coach has had some questionable recruits. We have had now 4 jump ship in past 2 years after 1 year either from lack of playing time or not living up to expectations. If you recruit a low seeded high school player why would you expect him to be anything but what he is? A non D-I star and it's our fault for setting expectation that are unrealistic. Just my 2 cents. And yes this guy is a dud....

JayDocMD 8 years, 7 months ago

If nothing else, we could use another warm body during practice. If he provides more than that, just a bonus. Doubt he will come to a place where playing time is anything but guaranteed, esp since it sounds like he's had to sit a bunch due to injury/illness. But if he wants to come, let him. I see no negative from our side whatsoever.

Martin Shupert 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow. I'm amazed that there are so many people out there who think they know more about basketball than Bill Self. I have to say it. Idiots are very often too stupid to know they are idiots. The idea, after we have won umteen consecutive Big Twelve championships (as Yogi might say... "That's umpteen consecutive Big Twelve Championships IN A ROW!")... we still have people talking about how the coach is trying to do this with rubber bands and paper clips. If you want to bet against another championship, remember Dick Vitale's 6th place prediction! You're agreeing with him and disagreeing with Bill Self. Shouldn't that give you reason to pause?

KUtonyjayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

OMG you hit the nail right on the head. All of these comments and none of them have successful division one head coach with a national title attached to their name

kugrad93 8 years, 7 months ago

For what it's worth, Walker averaged 6.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 25 minutes a game as a sophomore.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Not that it means anything, but he and Julian Wright were teammates in high school:

A lot of people go to college for seven years...

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Does that mean his brain is clogged with malted hops and bong resin?

dynamitehawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps. I was more referring to a "Tommy Boy" quote... The reply would be, "yeah... like doctors".

In an unrelated note: I wonder why Anthony Weiner's wife didn't take his last name. Where's the sanctity of marriage anymore?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I know the exact quote. I was avoiding the obvious and bringing up a separate "Tommy Boy" reference:

"Try an association. Like uh... let's say the average person uses 10% of their brain. How much do you use? One and a half percent. The rest is clogged with malted hops and bong resin."

Took a different route. Thought you would catch the reference.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Nice! I missed it due to bong resin and malted hops. :)

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh, and BTW, the actual response is "I know, they're called doctors."

AZHawk72 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't see a downside in taking the young man at this point. Hey, he already has something most Kentucky recruits never accomplish--a degree. And his degree came from probably the most academically-acclaimed program in the SEC (which isn't saying much) in Vanderbilt. The fact that he still wants to make his mark in basketball after attaining the degree is an "attitude" I can live with. He will at least be a critical addition for practices next year, and if he moves well for his size, something tells me that Taylor, Johnson, and Tharpe will find him.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

"..according to a Twitter post from a Brewster coach..."

Twitter = Zero credibility spreader of information A Brewster Coach = Maybe naming the source would add more credibility.

I'll hold my opinion till the fat lady hits the fan!

Bighebs 8 years, 7 months ago

Just in case no one has heard yet, DeAndre Daniels has committed to UConn.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

It seems we can't get anyone lately. What in the world is going on? Not sure when KU became a bad place to play college bball.