Monday, June 6, 2011

Naadir Tharpe all smiles after watching former Jayhawk Mario Chalmers

Incoming Kansas freshman Naadir Tharpe laughs with teammate Thomas Robinson while signing autographs during the Bill Self Basketball Camp on Sunday, June 5, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Incoming Kansas freshman guard Naadir Tharpe grinned when he was asked if he watched former KU guard Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat sink a big game-tying three near the end of Game 2 of the NBA Finals.

“Of course I did. Of course I did,” Tharpe said.

What was he thinking?

“KU,” Tharpe exclaimed.

The Heat ultimately lost that game against Dallas, but, helped by 12 points from Chalmers, defeated the Mavs, 88-86, in Game 3 on Sunday.

“I got a text from one of our recruits saying, ‘Do you remember him ever making another big shot like that?’’’ KU coach Bill Self said of an unnamed prospect texting him after the huge Game 2 trey from the corner.

Chalmers, of course, sent the 2008 national title game against Memphis into overtime with a three.

“That didn’t surprise me at all. Mario is a good shooter. With the game on the line, he’s a great shooter,” Self said.

KU received some publicity near the end of Game 2. The announcers reminded the country of Chalmers’ big three versus Memphis.

“That’s cool because he made probably the biggest shot in Kansas basketball history. That’s a memory none of us will ever forget,” Self said.

Comments

Funhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Game 3 Sunday night - 12 points for Mario Chalmers. Wish Mario's two big-name teammates would share the ball with Mario more. So many times Mario is wide open and calling for the ball, but the two ball hogs always want to take the shot, no matter how difficult the shot. I want Miami to win because of Mario, but Dallas seems to play better team ball, so I think Dallas will win it all. Nowitzski is the best player on the court, in my opinion. I wish Mario would be traded to a team without narcissists. Mario is fun.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Is there such a thing as an NBA team without narcissists?

Joe Baker 8 years, 7 months ago

It was really obvious during the last few seconds in game 3 when the Heat went up by two. They came down on their last possession. Mario stepped out to the arc, begging for the ball. Rather than get the ball to the open hot hand, they fumbled a chance to stick another trey. They would've won by five and no chance for the Mavs to let Dirk get that last little fade away that ended the game.

Oh wait, it was the "king" himself that took that last Heat shot, missed and denied Mario a chance to stick the dagger in the Mavs chance to tie. LBJ had to dribble the ball with people in his face with 6 secs and ate 2-3 secs(all Chalmers needed). Mario would've stuck that trey. Watch the shot clock and see if he had time to hit Chalmers for a game sticking trey. Watch Jason Terry's direction once the ball was passed to the "king." Chalmers would've had about 3 secs to get the shot.

Dan Pawlowski 8 years, 7 months ago

Gotta put some of that on Spoelstra. Gotta believe if they had a real coach, Jackson, Riley , Sloan even Thibodeau (new to head coaching but it looks like the players respect maybe even fear him a little ) the hot hand would get the ball.

danajay 8 years, 7 months ago

Being a Mav Fan, I would love to see him in a Mavs uniform!

duanep5ku 8 years, 7 months ago

This is a tough series to watch for me too because like many KU faithful posting on here. I want Mario to win and play well but I hate Miami, So my guess Miami wins the series and I will be happy for Mario but I would be happier if Dallas won.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

There's something about Naadir...I can't put my finger on it but it feels like greatness. I think this kid may become a special player for the Jayhawks. Just a feeling, but it is really strong.

We'll see!!

RockChalk26 8 years, 7 months ago

I have the same feeling. I think a lot of people are going to be blown away by his play next season.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

I first remember that feeling when Mario was a recruit. We still had Aaron Miles and that point-guard-run offense was as good as it ever was. Mario did not disappoint although he did not play much PG.

Now Naadir has those same intangibles which we hope will translate to becoming the team leader (something we desperately need), distributor, penetrator and shooter. His 3-point shot is critical to being able to keep the defense honest and allow him to penetrate. I voted for Naadir in the poll question because he is/may be our most important addition. Daniels (should he ccme) Ben and Thomas need to realize how important this player is and encourage him to get him confident to play in the defense and make the offense run. It does all depend on being a good defender to even get on the floor.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

I want Mario to get another ring and a fat new contract!

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Jason Kidd still involved with championship pursuits, age 38. I foresee a long and lucrative career for Mario Chalmers. What a bargain basement steal for the Heat in the 2008 draft! On a Game 3 night when Mario is hot from the three, Loopy LeBron forces and misses a long 3 pt. shot in the closing minute while wide-open and set Mario waits fruitlessly for the pass. Typical NBA bullhockey. Yeah, Oakville, I get the same good vibes about Naadir. He appears already to have some quality crimson and blue pumping through his veins. I think he will be one of these 6 ft. point guards whose high energy and attention to detail deliver 110% effort and contribution. Gotta hope that he masters some Bill Self fundamentals before Christmas of Year 1. I look to see Naadir and TRob work some special magic.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't follow NBA basketball - the only time I watch at all is if I see a former KU player on the court, but why does everyone hate Miami? Is it because of Miami Vice? Ya know, Don Johnson is a Jayhawk!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

He is? WOW...I didn't know Kansas gave a degree for bad acting!!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Yup!

Went to Wichita South High School. 1971 graduate of University of Kansas in Lawrence KS on a full drama scholarship.

<p>(imdb.com bio)

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I didn't know he graduated.....I thought he only went to KU a couple of semesters. Interesting. I don't know of cousre.....but never heard him say anything about Kansas or being a fan. To some people....Kansas is a long way from Hollywood(which is a good thing to me!)

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

lol - honestly i don't know if he graduated or not. According to imdb.com he did, but i don't know for sure.

Sam Brockert 8 years, 7 months ago

look up "Don Johnson 2007 Orange Bowl Video". HE did a video when the 'hawks were plating in the orange bowl and he showed he was wearing a KU shirt.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks chiefs386! That was a cool video. Now, according to that video, it looks like he did NOT graduate, it says 1967-1968. I guess it really doesn't matter - he went to KU, says he considers himself a Jayhawk! His stock just went up a little with me. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Dan Pawlowski 8 years, 7 months ago

Yea I read somewhere else he left after a year. Can't remember the source but it was NOT wikipedia.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

June 6, 1944 D-Day

"Day of Days".

God Bless our Veterans!

Joe Baker 8 years, 7 months ago

And they are straight and pretty too. His smile is infectious. I'm really glad he's teamed back up with TRob. They really seem to be close.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

now that there's funny - i don't care who ya are.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

RALSTER-thanks for your comment yesterday. We can fight and argue about KU like cats and dogs....(and even insult eachother!!).....but we certainly are in 100% agreement on honoring our hero veterans!! Especially today.....June 6th. The "great and noble undertaking".

I know it was hell.....and call me crazy......but I would give anything to have gone in with those guys.....to have been there. I know it's an easy thing to say but I truly mean it.

You have probably already seen it......but I highly recommend "Band of Brothers"....it's excellent.

Dan Pawlowski 8 years, 7 months ago

I like Saving Private Ryan but Band of Brothers is much better.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

This is part of why Self is such a great coach.

He accurately recognizes these distinctions.

KULA 8 years, 7 months ago

That's a laugh jaybate. Is that why Brady got so many minutes?

Dan Pawlowski 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh another expert who claims they know better than the coach. I guess you have plenty of spare time waiting to coach at a big time div 1 school. News alert , Brady graduated. Move on.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 7 months ago

I'd give a lot to know which recruit sent Self that message.

Scott MacWilliams 8 years, 7 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but something about young Mr. Tharpe of the amazing Jacque Vaughn, who was about the same size and made so MANY incredible plays over his 4-year career, (including All-star academics).

I'll never forget that one time at AFH he was bringing the ball up and literally hid behind the opposing center as he jogged up the court. JV popped out from behind him at about the top of the key and sliced down the side of the lane for a layup. Pure magic!!

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Naadir, and here's hoping that you have a fun, long and successful career, both at KU and beyond!!

ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS!!!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

Weird .. I read the article, and was scanning down the posts thinking "Jacque Vaughn." Perhaps we are setting the bar a bit high, though. Aaron Miles would suffice. Give me 6-7 assists per game, create shots for your teammates as the first priority, handle the ball, hit your free throws. Really optimistic on this guy, particularly since he doesn't have to start right away.

KULA 8 years, 7 months ago

6-7 assist per game, HEM? That's not setting the bar very high, is it, lol.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

ESPN Rumors says that Vandy Grad Andre Walker (graduated early and has i year of eligibility) is reportedly considering Kansas, Northwestern, Xavier and Wichita State. He is 6'7" and plays the 4 position. Went to Brewster in New Hampshire! Would think that he is speaking with TRob and Tharpe.

LaJHawk666 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, cshjhawk. That is intriguing!

I checked his stats... He was pretty effective two years ago: 32 games, 25 mins, 6.1 pts. 5.4 rebounds 2.5 ass'ts. Then this year he barely played; injured? Anybody know?

Even though he graduated, wouldn't he still have to sit out a year? Or since he was already a redshirt (in a season where he played 3 games), is it different? If he transferred, sat out this season and then played in 2012-13, that would be six years in college; is that kosher? Honestly, I didn't even know a player could transfer after four years at one college, even if one of them was a redshirt year in the middle of it. Just when you think you understand the rules... Anybody knows how this works?

If he did come to KU--and he would be crazy to go anywhere else if he wants a shot at the pros--I think he could be important as stop-gap measure as our new bigs get experienced, especially if Withey doesn't develop like we all expect/want/hope/pray that he will. At 6'7", 220, he seems a little small to play the 4, but he's experienced and has played at that size his whole college career. And we certainly have the schollies to offer!

Like a lot of posters here, the longer DDaniels goes without making a decision, the less I care if he comes to KU or not. I never thought of him as a OAD, but if he is, I think it may be better if he went elsewhere. If he sticks around for at least two years I would want him a lot more.

Like most posters here, I'm high on Tharpe. I bet he's a four-year guy who plays 5-10 mins next year and starts as PG in either his sophomore or junior year and kicks major a$$!!!

RCJH

LaJHawk666 8 years, 7 months ago

Update: The article says, "the 6-foot-7 Walker has one more season of eligibility remaining, and since Walker has already graduated from the SEC school, he is looking for somewhere to play during the 2011-12 season."

That sounds like he could play this year, 2011-12. I guess if you've graduated it's okay to transfer and play.

Also, anybody have a clue what the Big 12 is gonna be called next year?

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I've heard rumors of KU and the Nine Dwarfs (basketball only !)

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Oops! My bad - should be KU and the IX Dwarfs.

loyal2thaphog 8 years, 7 months ago

It's simply... since he has already received his undergrad degree from a university, he can enroll and play for another school if he enrolls in a graduate program not offered by said university. A similar situation happened last year in college football. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5528636

I'm pretty sure the Big XII has opted to retain their name.

LaJHawk666 8 years, 7 months ago

Ah, that's right. Thanks, loyal2thaphog.

I read on a Vandie site that some weren't too keen on him and that he was seeing limited playing time next year. Maybe he's not that great. One commented, "Kansas? He couldn't carry water at Kansas." But if HCBS thinks he's good enough for KU, then he probably is. We'll see.

KULA 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow, lots of high hopes pinned on a recruit that just barely cracked the top 100. Why is that? Maybe because he's got an unusual name? Hopefully, a descriptive name isn't predictive (like in Brady's case) but I'd still feel better if his name was Zeenith instead of Naadir.

KULA 8 years, 7 months ago

KULA 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I'll bet Bill will never forget Mario's shot. Minus that shot, Bill's head is on the chopping block right now