Monday, June 6, 2011

Former KU football player Elvis Patterson arrested on DUI charges

Former Kansas football player Elvis Patterson was arrested in Douglas County on Kansas Highway 10 early Saturday morning on charges of driving under the influence. He was released on $250 bail and is scheduled to appear in court at 3 p.m. June 17.

The 51-year-old Patterson, who currently resides in Lenexa, played for KU as a defensive back and defensive end from 1981 to 1983. He went on to play in the NFL and was on two Super Bowl champion teams, Super Bowl XXI with the New York Giants and Super Bowl XXVIII with the Dallas Cowboys.

Comments

actorman 8 years, 7 months ago

So you would rather it not get reported at all? Like it or not, he's a former KU player who did a stupid thing, so that's newsworthy. I'm so sick of people blaming the messenger. There isn't a paper in a college town in America that wouldn't report something like this, so get off the LJW's back.

kureader 8 years, 7 months ago

This isn't news, it's dirt. There are plenty of papers who have better things to do than to spend each Monday morning thumbing through police reports hoping to scrape up something on a former athlete. He's 51. He has been gone from KU for almost 30 years. Leave the guy alone. The police will take care of it. If yours was the name in the article, Actorman, I suspect you'd have a different point of view.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

Because others do it, LJW should do the same? Absurd!

HawkTronic 8 years, 7 months ago

I think it's fine that this stuff gets published. However, I'd like to see a little research to find the many successes former athletes have also earned. I suspect many would like to know those stories also.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

The meaning of the story is that bad things always happen to people named Elvis.

escaped_labrat 8 years, 7 months ago

I just wish they'd seek out this stuff about players for our rivals too! ;-)

jaymar74 8 years, 7 months ago

William Hanson, a press operator at LJW in 1982 and 83, had filed for divorce after 29 years of marriage.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Thank you. Please keep us informed as to what the alimony/child support payments will be, if any.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 7 months ago

I get it, pretty funny!

I was going to go with: Noooooooo! Imagine an early 90's Dallas Cowboys player getting in trouble!!!

Yours is better. I think this is reasonably new because I think he runs youth sports camps and coaches high school somewhere. Could be wrong...

Troll_or_AntiTroll 8 years, 7 months ago

I think he coaches a high school team in Missouri. And I recently saw him referee one of my 3rd grade son's basketball games.

squawkhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

And...another embarrassment to KU football!