Saturday, June 4, 2011

Keegan

Scoring forecast: Ben McLemore, Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor candidates to lead KU basketball team

KU forward Thomas Robinson (0) and guard Tyshawn Taylor discuss strategy against Tennessee Tech Friday, Nov. 27, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Trying to forecast which player will lead one of Bill Self’s teams in scoring often presents a challenge. As the roster stands now, it’s not an easy guess. DeAndre Daniels, should he make Kansas his college destination, would be a strong candidate to lead the Jayhawks in scoring, playing Mr. Outside to Thomas Robinson’s Mr. Inside. Daniels has the sort of deep outside shooting range KU lacks to some extent heading into next season. But for now, he’s not affiliated with any college, so we’ll leave him off the forecast.

Players who filled 68 percent of the minutes during a 35-3 2010-2011 season won’t return, 71 percent of the scoring is gone and just 22 percent of the three-point field goals were scored by returning players.

No member of the team ever has averaged double figures in scoring during a college season.

The roster begged for the addition of an elite talent noted for his ability to score. Ben McLemore, a 6-foot-5 native of St. Louis who split his senior season between Oak Hill Academy in Virginia and Christian Life Center in Texas, is the closest to fit that description among the incoming recruits. He averaged 16 points at his final stop and is ranked No. 34 in the nation by Rivals.

The other recruits, point guard Naadir Tharpe and power forwards Braeden Anderson and Jamari Traylor, don’t project as big scorers early in their careers.

A ranking of the players with the best chance to lead KU in scoring in 2011-2012:

1. Robinson: Points won’t be as easy to come by without the Morris twins attracting so much attention from defenses and so skillfully setting up teammates with their exceptional passing ability. Defenses will pay more attention to Robinson, who averaged 20.8 points and 5.6 personal fouls per 40 minutes played last season. There isn’t a better rebounder in the nation, so he’ll score plenty on put-backs and is so much faster than most big men he’ll get his share in transition as well. His mid-range jumper, which showed signs of becoming reliable, should get better and make him tougher to defend. If Robinson can cut down his fouls so he doesn’t lose playing time and can again make a significant improvement shooting free throws — he went from 39.5 percent to 51 — he’s the best bet to be the team’s top scorer.
  2. McLemore: No freshman has led KU in scoring since Brandon Rush (13.5) started in 2005-2006 his streak of three consecutive seasons at the top. If McLemore defends well enough to merit major minutes, he could do develop into the top scorer.
  3. Tyshawn Taylor: A career 36-percent three-point shooter, most of his long-range buckets came when the defense begged him to shoot. Maybe hand surgery will improve his shot, but not likely to the extent the three becomes a big part of his game. Finishing at the hoop and cashing in on the line is where he can pile up points because he’s so quick he’ll get past his man and defenders will fly at him. He can pad his scoring totals by improving on last season’s career-best .724 free-throw percentage. The team has its best chance at overachieving if Taylor’s the leading assist man and somebody else emerges as the go-to scorer.
  4. Travis Releford: How much will he play? Where will he play? The first question isn’t as difficult as the second. He’ll probably play a lot, based on how well he played before suffering an ankle injury, after which he had trouble getting back into the rotation. Where he plays could be determined more by others than himself. If Jeff Withey doesn’t do the things coach Bill Self wants to see out of him and didn’t see the past two seasons, the Jayhawks could put a premium on trying to go by and around defenders instead of over them. In other words, they could go with a really small lineup up front. Think maybe Kansas could force a few turnovers and beat teams down court in both directions with a starting lineup of Taylor, Elijah Johnson, McLemore, Releford and Robinson?
  5. Johnson: He played with so much more confidence and so much more efficiently when Taylor served his late-season suspension than he did as a reserve before getting that chance. Still, leading the team in scoring is a bit of a stretch.

Comments

phi4life940 8 years, 7 months ago

Good analysis. However, I don't think Thomas will be as affected by the Morri being gone as this makes it out to be.

I think Jamari will have a better year than most are expecting. When the latest ranks came out and he was number 141 or so, he said on his facebook account, "I know there's not 140 dudes better than me!?!?" I like his confidence.

R ockChalk!

manunitedjayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you phi4life940. But most KU fans will say this is "trash talking" or "over confidence." That is why we lost to VCU right? I love his confidence and want to see it every night and I think he plays hard and Self loves that. I agree with the analysis on Daniels' possible impact, he can be the go to guy that NBA scouts like to see in crunch time. Why is UCONN now on the map? I see Lamb being the guy there, and when I say being the "guy" I do not mean jacking up bad shots. I like this team, lets be patient as like Jayhawk fans should be. We might be more athletic in the backcourt and that might be something to build on defensively.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't think we lost to VCU because of trash talk. We lost because we could not shoot the three. And the two most responsible for our success at that distance were the two least likely to trash talk - Brady and Tyrel.

VCU played better than KU. In the NCAA it happens every year to high seeds. One hot game by an opponent and you are gone.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

I personally think that our prep for VCU could have been better. Moreover, there might have been too much time allocated to interviews with the press.

doctorWho 8 years, 7 months ago

Good Lord. I suggest you Google: Brady Morningstar Spiders trash talk.

onlylookin2score 8 years, 7 months ago

Taylor Taylor Taylor... I'm expecting a more than mediocracy his sr. year. All the dude needs to do this summer is practice penetration based layups. My God, if he would have made half of them last season, he would have probably led the big 12 in scoring.

On Robinson, the guy is going to be a top 5 lottery pick after next season. I'm really looking forward to the UK game. I think he'll dominate all season long.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 7 months ago

top 5 pick?

Harrison Barnes Jared Sullinger Terrance Jones Perry Jones Austin Rivers Anthony Davis

are all locks for being picked ahead of t-rob, there's easily another 5-7 you could argue could go higher as well.

top 5 pick? i've come to expect some pretty ridiculously biased statements on this website, but that one takes the cake.

onlylookin2score 8 years, 7 months ago

Austin Rivers is unproven... a lot of people said Selby would be a top 5 pick. Robinson's physique is better than any of those guys with the exception of Sullinger. We'll see how well davis does, in comparison when UK and KU. Maybe I'll eat crow, but I doubt it. To me, the only three that really belong in your "Ultimate" top 6 that are listed are Barnes Sullinger and Perry Jones.

And by the way, if you don't like people being somewhat biased about KU players NBA potential... GET THE F OFF OF THIS BOARD. Nice Name Benji.

Cmill1221 8 years, 7 months ago

T-Rob could be a top 5 pick. SIZE!! he has that NBA body and with him being our main big this year he will be showcased. It could happen.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

Certainly the very same arguments were made last year about this year's draft. Try to find someone (other than his mother) that thought Derrick Williams would be #2!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Things happen..injuries and other problems but if bennybob's picks play to expectations, that would be a hard top 5 to break into.

KJD 8 years, 7 months ago

Releford will score. Self has commented at least twice that Releford could be a 1000 pt career guy. I don't doubt the dude could average 15 pts a game for the next two seasons.

At one point last season, Releford was our best post defender. Self said it. It was not too long before the ankle injury. He'll play defense inside and outside so he'll get minutes. He's going to score. He can shoot the three, put on the floor for a dribble drive. He's excellent around the rim. Releford is going to get more than 20 minutes per game, every game, and he is going to score a lot of points.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 7 months ago

i agree...Releford should be let loose this year. He can easily score double digits.

jchawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

+1 I agree completely. I think Releford should play big minutes. I thought he was going to be a stud this last year, but then he got hurt and got lost on the bench behind Morningstar. I'm not saying he is good as Rush but I do think he could be effective if he played the Rush role.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I have no idea who will lead in scoring, but next season will rely to an enormous extent on how TT plays. If he improves and, honestly, plays to the capacity that he showed in some games last year, the rest very well should follow. It's always been said that the college game is a point guard league; well, this should give solid sample data...

TT will find much success if he follows what gave Derrick Rose much success this year, PENETRATE (note: I in no way am saying TT is at D-Rose level, only suggesting he can succeed much the way Rose does: by using his overwhelming quickness to get to the rim). Obviously, hitting his outside shot at a higher percentage will increase his value and success, but penetration and accurate passing should be his ultimate game. The rest could and should follow suit.

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 7 months ago

From watching TT, I think he will be a better off guard than a PG. I hope Tharpe or Johnson shine early on and take on that responsibility (of a PG), to reduce the pressure on TT and he can do what he does the best, shoot, and occasionally drive to the basket etc. Even though we don't have a 5*, I am very happy with where we are.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 7 months ago

So much of the style of play will depend on Withey.

Matt Bowers 8 years, 7 months ago

This is going to be an interesting team, because there are so many factors that haven't been answered yet. Will TT and TRob stay out of foul trouble? Is DeAndre playing for KU? Will Withey's game be in tact? What type of impact will the freshmen have? How is KU going to handle the early part of the schedule?

No matter what, I do believe that because of these things, this team is going to be interesting to watch. Plus, KU will dominate with speed and defense and that will make up for a lot of what might be missing. If I had a wish, it would be for KU to hammer UK and Calipari's AAU squad...how sweet would it be to see that hand shake at the end of the game. You know exactly what HCBS and Calipari would each be thinking!

Rock Chalk

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 7 months ago

Probably we will see far different offensive and defensive schemes from that which we saw in recent years. Also, don't count out Conner, as I think that he has some things to prove.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I envision lots of playing time for a Daniels or any deadeye small forward who might decommit somewhere and choose to come aboard. If he stays free of injury, Releford appears to be headed toward a 10+ pt. average this year. I look to see his game ascend significantly for the entire season.

Robert Brock 8 years, 7 months ago

Self needs to get some defense in their heads; I don't see a lot of scoring from this team.

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm with KJD. Look for Releford to score a lot. I haven't seen much of the incoming freshmen but, of the guys coming back, Releford is the most natural scorer on the team. I definitely look for Robinson to score a lot on put backs, and he could well lead the team in scoring for that reason. If Taylor leads the team in scoring, we're going to be in trouble, because that likely means he's taking a lot of ill advised shots. We're a better team when he plays the role of distributor.

waywardJay 8 years, 7 months ago

No. that would Likely mean we have a balance of scoring. Tyshawn's not going to go Sherron because he's not the shooter Sherron was. What would likely happen to lead us to tyshawn leading our team in scoring would be as follows.

-Thomas Robinson only manages about 10 a game because of foul trouble our inability to break the double team.

• Elijah and Travis are not effective enough as scores to hit open shots out of the double team.

• None of the Freshman on the team serve effectively on defense to ALLOW them to score enough points.

• Or, Tyshawn improves hitting free throws.

The scenario in which I could see Tyshawn leading the team in scoring depends heavily on him going to the free throw line. He improves to an 84 percent or better free throw shooter, and uses those feet to get him into the lane. He could average 8-10 free throws attempts a night. Hits 8 of those that only leads to him needing 7 points from the field to get him ( conservatively, I might add ) to 15. Another 5 points added in and it almost ensures him top scoring honors.

my point is, We are not doomed if Tyshawn leads us in scoring because he's shooting a ton of shots.... We might just be a bunch of guys who average between 12-15 on any given night.....

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Nicely done Jay...My only contention is with Elijah and Travis. I see both of them being cut loose, meaning that HCBS will recognize he needs scorers and will keep them in the game when before he might have sat them after making a bad play. Also, both are hard workers who will spend the off-time improving their weaknesses. Hopefully they will make Morris like strides.

waywardJay 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't disagree at all. I'm just not sure this team will have a "leading" scorer in the traditional sense.....

I could very easily see this being 4 guys in the 12-15 point range almost even and two or more just below or at 10 ppg.

IE.... Taylor 14.3, Thomas 13.7, Ben 13.2, Elijah 11.7, Travis 11.6, Jamari 8.5, Naadir 7.7, and Jeff a 6.6

(of course the leading scorers could go any which way on any given night.... Most likely some sort of balance between thomas, ben and Tyshawn ... and occasionally one of the other's stepping in bigtime... I would be surprised if the Top scorer doesn't come from Thomas, Tyshawn or ben ( adding Deandre in the mix if he commits to us )

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

And the forecast for today is partly scattered light followed by darkness tonight. Forgive me George Carlin.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 7 months ago

I think Releford is set to shine. He looked amazing last year before the ankle.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

If he can fire the team and fans up with more flash, ie The Dunk, it'll keep him off the bench a lot longer.

BTW, I'm visiting friends in Colo. and see Pikes Peak every day from where I am staying. Great area. Visited Garden of the Gods yesterday - awesome!

Scott Smetana 8 years, 7 months ago

Way to be checking KU basketball even on vacation.. never know who Self is gonna land, right? Welcome to the 'Springs', we have a pretty good and growing alumni base here. Make sure to get a Margarita at the Loop in Manitou Springs and take the kids to feed the giraffes at the zoo.

Tim Orel 8 years, 7 months ago

Sadly, though, we don't get the pleasure of beating the Buffs every year in Boulder anymore. Always one of my favorite games.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

Have laptop, will travel...is my motto.

Had a good time in the Denver area. No kids to take to the zoo and never made it to The Loop.

Now on the Oregon coast while traveling futher west. P-town is the end of the road on this trip. Nice escape from the early summer weather back home.

Wish we could have made it to Bill's Boogie, though.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I for one am really looking forward to the coming BBall season. The pressure is off and I think we have a lot more talent than what a lot of people are giving us credit for. For so many years now we have been expected to win - and win big, and we won't have to deal with that this season - at least not early in the season. Despite my late March rantings, Self can coach. He will get the very best out of whoever shows up in Lawrence in the fall.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree.I used to think that this coming year they would be just average......but wow look at the talent/potential they have......and if you throw a new and improved Jeff Withey in the mix......they really could be a great team(and a BIG team!!)

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Many,including myself, were hard on Taylor last year. But I regret that. He really came on strong the last few games.......and then we find out his hand was hurt and needed surgery. I expect him to have a great final year. Like it or not......he is the team leader. I think he will step up.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 7 months ago

Major slip of the lip? Sure hope so. LOL

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

Did someone log onto your account and post a non-trollish statement or did you take your meds today? Just Joshin ya... i completely agree. I have been a Taylor supporter since day one. He gets all the negative attention from the fights but several of the players I have spoken to have stated that Taylor wasn't even the one that started the fight. He gets blamed because he was the one that got hurt. (I wonder if the lasting hand injury had anything to do with that....) The facebook thing... Beasley saying he's mega depressed on FB--account closed. Even kids in the NBA make bad decisions on FB and their accounts go away. It happens all the time. Weinergate anyone? And the suspension for supposedly bumping uglies on the Jayhawk... and you wouldn't given the opportunity? That right there is some major school spirit in my opinion. A bun in the oven from that event would be a true Jayhawk. Here's to Taylor owning it next year. Great post End! Rock Chalk!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks.....I think I'm finally getting over the VCU loss....many months and a lot of depression and immaturity later. I was acting out my frustration. I still feel the same.....but decided to replace the frustration with optimism. Hey.....in life we get the choice......so why not???

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

+1 I know where you are coming from. Rock Chalk!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate-Explain how Jeff Withey will be used next year and how it will effect the team.

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

Don't poke the bear... I see a lot of scrolling in my future. Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

I would like to see the top nine rotation all average 9 points apiece.....we'd be AWESOME!!!!!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

That's probably about how it will shake out. I doubt there will be a main, "go to" guy like Marcus was last year. I like T-Rob......but he needs to improve his shot and especially his FT's. Wildcard will be Withey. I think TT will be more stable and consistent next yr.

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

Agree that the coming season has more unknowns than we have had in a long time--probably since the year after Raef graduated and Pierce went out early. I think T-Rob will be a force but it is hard for me to imagine him as our top scorer since he has not demonstrated an accurate mid-range jump shot. I hope that EJ earns the PG spot with Tharpe as back-up so Taylor can play the 2. Hopefully, that would not only reduce turnovers but also give TT a chance to become a major scorer. I would have to put my money on Releford at the 3. I can see him having Rush-like stats. Recent experience with freshmen suggests to me that McLemore will not earn major minutes early in the season, but it would be great to see him develop into a significant contributor off the bench by mid-season. For the same reason I do not think it matters that much whether we get DD. I also agree with Nuleaf that it is kind of refreshing to go into a year with lower expectations and pressure with the hope of of those expectations being exceeded.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Since '51, eh? Were you able to listen by radio to the '52 championship? I know a couple guys that were at the '57 title game at Municipal in Kansas City vs UNC. They both said it was absolutely heartbreaking loss.....and that Louis Armstrong played at the old Muelbach Hotel well into the night.....trying to give solace to sad KU fans.

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes, my Dad got me into listening to KU games in 1951 so I heard most of the 51/52 games including the NC and the Olympic coach playoff game against the Peoria Caterpillars. In 1957, I was in high school. My older sister was at KU and went to the game in KC but I don't recall her mentioning hearing Satchmo. It was certainly heartbreaking as well as tragic for Wilt because NC doubled and tripled him and then no one else on the team could hit anything that night. That is when I started hating NC and even pulled against them after Dean became HC. Wilt later said something like "my teammates couldn't have thrown the ball into the ocean that night" and I had to agree. Of course we went on 2 years of probation because of Wilt and until 1988 I always shrugged off frustration (for example 1966) as the "Curse of Wilt." Since 2008 I have been at peace because when we hired Self I said that my expectations for him would be met if he won an NC in my lifetime. So while his other NCAA losses sting for awhile I bounce back quickly and remain a fan for life come thick or thin. Rock Chalk!!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I wish I could have seen both games......there is also a story about the '57 game....that the UNC coach(Maguire?) before the game intentionally took the bench that KU had already placed their team equipment on.....and Maguire thought Dick Harp was a hot-head and would lose his temper and thus distract him......well....apparently he did freak out. Don't know if it made a difference.....but still interesting story.

Bill Dixon 8 years, 7 months ago

My memory of the event (and I was there) was that Armstrong was playing at the Student Union at Lawrence and stayed until the team came back. That said, it alway amazes me how memories differ over things that far back.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

You could certainly be right about that.....I was told the story by someone else. Maybe he was in KC and Larwence later? Who knows. It must have been a great game......but so disappointing too. Good old Wilt thought he let Kansas down for years. I'm glad he came back to KU before he passed away.

What a memory!! 2008. A link to pass the time as we wait for November:

stubert 8 years, 7 months ago

I realize your football knowledge is very limited.. but why don't we give basketball a breather right now and concentrate on football. lord knows they can use all the help they can get. I think the past 12 months have proven we need to change our mind set a little bit basketball vs. football. I did not read the article or any of the comments but I'm sure it was entertaining

dylans 8 years, 7 months ago

If you don't want to talk about basketball or read about basketball check out the comments on a football article.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Just curious..but why bother to go to the 'Men's Basketball' section stu and b*tch about talking basketball. Seems rather stu-pid.

stubert 8 years, 7 months ago

Hank Cross 8 years, 7 months ago

Who cares about KU FB? Seriously, who really deep down cares about KU FB? Look at the schools that have won the most BB NCs - UCLA, UK, UNC, IU, Duke, KU, UConn, - not a single FB powerhouse among them. In fact, more than a few are historically very bad teams. The reverse is basically true for College FB, i.e. Bama, USC, etc.. It's extremely hard for a school to be great in 2 sports, probably impossible for a school the size of KU.

Futher, with the demise of the B12 North, the chance of KU catching lightning in a bottle and going to a BCS game again are virtually nil. UT and OU will always be on top and there will be other teams battling for the 2nd tier. That leaves KU FB in the spot in was in the B8 - lucky to be in top half once every few years.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Well said. I support KU football.....but nothing like B-Ball. And it's just too much to expect about any school to be great at both. I'm pretty much satisfied with KU having great years every so often like 2008 Orange Bowl. But lets face it.....that's probably only going to happen every 10-15 years.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 7 months ago

Why I understand why you feel this way about the FB team I seem to recall that both Texas and OU field good BB teams. OU has been to the title game and been a contender many times over the years. Sure not as much as KU but why can't we field a good football team?? We are a 2nd tier team because we choose to be not because we're suppose to be. K-State went from the cellar to an elite team in a small market in a very short time and has pretty much had Texas' number. We need to back the football team and support them not just sit back and say "well we're a basketball school so who cares?" Just my opinion.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Texas made the Final 4 in 2003. But I get your point.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

stubert - here's one reason we MIGHT be talking about basketball right now:

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Keegan Scoring forecast: Ben McLemore, Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor candidates to lead KU basketball team By Tom Keegan

Just sayin.....

Fred Whitehead Jr. 8 years, 7 months ago

I am with Stubert. Keagan, the football season has not even started and you and your newspaper are blathering about imagined vainglory of a completely unknown basketball team. I am sure Coach Gill must be wondering about this. This glorification of high school kids who have a knack for tossing a ball through an iron hoop while avoiding players on the other team is totally pointless and nothing more than fluff and dreg to fill up a slow news day. We all know that KU has assumed the role of training camp for the NBA and that these kiddie wonder kids will camp here for a few years until they can find a big money contract (very few will) and fail to achieve an education. It has always been my notion that the University was here to provide an education not to train professional athletes. But money corrupts absolutely, both for the players and the gadfly reporters that connot conceive of anything else but pointless blather and heresay. How about an article on how many points Oklahoma's veteran football team will score before the first 2 minutes of the game this fall? Oh, you remember last fall, eh?? Well, I know it might not take as much ink to report a butt-kicking. Get real and do some real sports reporting and leave the speculation for the bookies.

Gary Wirsig 8 years, 7 months ago

"I am sure Coach Gill must be wondering about this."

Really? I doubt that Coach Gill is too concerned about the subject of Keeg's articles.

mikehawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I think the "forcast" of high scorer is irrelevant to this upcoming team. They need four or five guys with 8 to 10 points per game on a consistent basis. Different guys may be high scorer from game to game. Defense, minimizing turnovers, and Robinson and Withey staying out of foul trouble will be the keys. A VERY mature Tyshawn would be a huge plus to this team, also. It's very hot here in Tulsa today, so the latter point may be a heat affected one.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 7 months ago

Self runs the offense through the bigs, if T-rob isn't this teams leading scorer next year were going to be in for a long season.

a better debate would be who leads the team in oop-finishes above the rim:

T-Rob Elijah Mclemore

all three of those kids can get up. taylor could lead the big 12 in assists just by lobbing the ball up near the rim every time down court and letting these guys go get it.

Doug Merrill 8 years, 7 months ago

For those idiots who are complaining about an "out of season" article about basketball, instead of football, what do you have against golf and fishing?

Nicholas Cederlind 8 years, 7 months ago

to be honest, I'd be ten times more excited to hear from anyone in the media (and especially Coach) about how we are going to be on defense next year...

David Hodges 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm betting we hang our hat on D next year, unlike this years offensive powerhouse. Rock Chalk!

Mike Schell 8 years, 7 months ago

Does anybody know if jmike Reese is picking a school today?

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 7 months ago

I am hoping out leading scorers are TRob, EJ and Travis. They have the experience in the system and are upper classmen with skills to score. Taylor needs to be a driver, passer then a scorer. He has a below average shot that surgery on a finger isn't going to make him an outside shooting threat all of a sudden. He will have an average shot is my guess, but he drives to the basket better than anyone on the team. Let him play to his strengths and set up everyone else up to make plays.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Unless I've gone blind, lost my mind, went to jail to do some time....I think there is an entire posting site for football.

Frankly, I could read about Kansas basketball 24/7/365. If you don't like it, don't read it...or better yet, check out the actual football site!!

And as far as the excellence in football simultaneous to basketball, even taking one season at a time only two schools have been to a Final Four, been to a bowl game and been to the College World Series in the same school year, "UCLA" and Kansas.

There are exceptions but it is far more the rule that one sport dominates an athletic program' and I'm guessing that's for both genders

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Oakville always uses the words to get it right! Well done. I agree. And I do believe this article is placed in the Kansas Basketball section of KU Sports?? So there is a whole other section for you guys that want to talk about KU football.

stubert 8 years, 7 months ago

I saw my first k.u. game in 1953 in hoch. I hitchickedto lawrence from mcPherson.. I saw my first final 4 in 1957 in kansas city. still the best game I have ever seen in person. yes,I have seen other games. without taking the time to look it all up I have been to 30 - 35 final 4's in person. and yes I do fish - canada - okl. - texas- and the everglades in florida. I don't golf but I do bird & duck hunting.for all of you people that seem to be so passionate about k.u. do you think it wouls be nice to have a well rounded athletic program instead of being at the bottom a lot of the time ?

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

It would be nice......but would it be feasible? If so.....the football team will have to be consistently good for several years to attract the best recuits. I can see them having good years here and there.....but over an extended time?? I don't know.

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

You are a couple of years ahead of me so with due respect to an apparent elder, I do not understand how 1957 NC was the best game you have ever seen. I only listened to it on radio but later saw a rather grainy black and white film of it. I thought it was very tedious. NC doubled and tripled Wilt and iced the ball. No one even scored in one of the OTs. KU's players other than Wilt were about 3 fer 50 or some awful stat. Harp was unable to come up with any answers to the NC game plan. My favorite game is the 1988 NC, also in KC. The first half was simply awesome ending at 50-50. The 2nd half was superior coaching by Brown over Tubbs.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree '51......I was thinking the same. Of course I wasn't around in '57.....but can't imagine that was a fun game to watch. sure.....the overtimes were unique......but still.....doesn't sound like an exciting game.

'88 was a great game.......as was '08. But call me crazy......I prefer it when KU wins by 30!!! My heart can't take many more of these close games!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah..and I helped Naismith write the rules of basketball. I wrote #7 and I'm still ticked-off that it no longer is applied. Still..why do you care?

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Could we hire Dirk Nowitzki as a free-throw coach?

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

And clutch shots. Speaking of clutch shots..How about Chalmers? Thought he had put Miami into OT w/his 3 near the end of regulation in game 2.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Didn't that guy Chalmers make a fairly important 3 point shot a few years back? I seem to recall something about it.

This is my favorite video of it.......Live at Allen Fieldhouse.

I will never forget that night......I was crouching behind my sofa....pulling my hair out.

Tim Orel 8 years, 7 months ago

Great video. Brought tears to my eyes from the pure joy from the crowd. My wife couldn't believe that didn't hurt my ears. I told her it was the sound of sweet success. She'll never understand.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Well said!! I have to admit I had almost(almost) given up.....especially when they were 9 down. When Chalmers fired up the shot.....I thought it was long.....but gravity did its job.

I was very nervous for overtime too.....but after about a minute I could tell KU had complete control. Memphis was shell-shocked.......Anyway.....thanks for the comment.....it's great to relive that night!!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

That was "THE CLUTCH SHOT", never get tired of watching it.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I think Withey is the biggest wildcard. If he can improve this summer and be a factor.....then KU is going to have a great season(again)......can you imagine T-Rob and a bulked up, battle -hardened 7ft Withey to deal with? And TT drriving......EJ & Releford throwing in 3's????

loyal2thaphog 8 years, 7 months ago

That is promising to hear positive feedback about Justin Wesley. I've never seen him play and nothing absolutely nothing about him, except for his stats at Lamar... which were not all that impressive.

kennethst 8 years, 7 months ago

"The End"!! You're actually making polite and somewhat thoughtful posts!! Again!

Well done, sir.....glad to hear you got over the VCU game. Well.....what choice do we have?? They are what they are.

When I feel that sting of VCU and Northern Iowa(and other games)......I just think of 2008. I will never forget that night.....NEVER. I, too, thought Chalmers shot was long at first. And there was nothing like the feeling in OT when we knew KU had won. Honestly....A grown man in tears. Not crying, mind you.....but yes....I admit....tears.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Well thanks, Mr. Kennethst.....You're exactly right.....what choice do we have?

For some reason I have been thinking about that title game toight(2008).....I'm surprised my heart didn't give out. Seriously.....it was going crazy for about 2 1/2 hours.

And after the game.....I remember feeling starved and so hungry. I must have burned 2000 calories...between my heart rate and pacing back and forth. I started the game politely sitting on the sofa.....and at the end of the game crouched behind it with my head in my hands!

Amazing night.....I was up until 3 AM listening to radio and interviews.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

theend - glad to see you're back on track. I know exactly where you're coming from - a while back i had to change my user name from "burnedout". i know i shouldn't let KU basketball affect (effect?? not an english major and really don't care) me the way it does, so once in a while i try to step back and act my age instead of my shoe size. But it's tough for us diehard fans!! Anyway - keep your chin up, we don't have to worry about any bad losses for several months!!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks. Yes.....it's amazing the highest high and the lowest lows we can experience from KU basketball. But it's better than indifference. Indifference is the worst....it means you don't care.....you have no "stake". Thankfully.....fans like us don't have to worry about that!!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

lol - indifference about KU basketball has never been an issue for me!! Sounds like you don't have that problem either. Rock Chalk!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

There were no Jayhawks without tears of joy that night. There is a Memphis fan in the video when Chalmers shot that literally looks like he was punched in the stomach when the ball past through the net. It's a feeling that i can empathize with.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

That's right! It reminded me of a game I went to in Manhattan many years ago, and if memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always do!) K-State basically had their way with us the whole game. But we got back into it at the very last, and with time expiring, Steve Woodberry hit a long 3 pointer to win it for us and the place went from thunderously loud to dead quiet in an instant. Quiet except for me and about 2 other KU fans that were there (it seemed like!!). I can tell you for sure that the hometown crowd was not pleased with my overzealous celebration. Sometimes I'm still amazed that I didn't get my butt kicked on the way out to my car.

Ryan Mullen 8 years, 7 months ago

If Ben Mclemore is second in scoring next year we will have HUGE issues. I have not been impressed with Ben at all.

onlylookin2score 8 years, 7 months ago

God, I love your avatar. (Un)classic Marlboro Man, that guy is.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow, it's been a while since we were blessed with The Mullen! Why such a long absence kid?