Friday, June 3, 2011

Markieff Morris feels Michael Jordan’s presence at pre-draft camp

Kansas forward Markieff Morris knocks the ball away from Colorado forward Austin Dufault for a steal during the first half on Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

All-Decade vote

Markieff Morris is taking on Cole Aldrich on Friday in the KUSports.com All-Decade vote.

Markieff Morris didn’t actually see NBA Hall of Famer Michael Jordan enter the Charlotte Bobcats’ practice facility on Thursday morning.

A sixth sense told the former Kansas University power forward that the Bobcats’ owner had arrived.

“I felt it when he came in the gym. I felt his greatness when he came in. I just felt it the whole time,” said Morris, who eventually spotted the former Chicago Bulls phenom observing Charlotte’s pre-draft workout of six players.

Morris was asked what “greatness” felt like.

“The lights brighten and you just feel, like on your back, somebody is there,” Morris said in an interview available on nba.com.

The 6-foot-10 Morris likes the idea of playing for Jordan’s Bobcats, especially considering the team has two first-round picks — Nos. 9 and 19. Markieff is holding out hope that he and his twin brother, Marcus, might wind up on the same squad.

“If it happens, it happens,” Markieff said. “This would definitely be a place we both would want to play or one of us would want to play.”

Cleveland (Nos. 1 and 4), Minnesota (2 and 20), Utah (3 and 12) and Washington (6 and 18) are the only other teams with two first-round draft picks.

“Markieff is a very good shooter,” Charlotte coach Paul Silas said after the workout. “He was tough and understands how to play the game. I think that he has a chance to really be good in this league. He played very well.”

Other players at the workout: Angelo State’s LaMarshall Corbet, Morehead State’s Kenneth Faried, Southern Misssissippi’s Gary Flowers), Southern California’s Alex Stephenson and Clemson’s DeMontez Stitt.

They noticed Air Jordan as well.

“I was actually nervous, extremely nervous,” Faried told the Associated Press. “Michael Jordan — I have his sneakers on.”

Selby update: Former KU guard Josh Selby will work out for the New York Knicks today.

Daniels update: There’s still no word on where prized prospect DeAndre Daniels will play college basketball next season. Daniels, who is Rivals.com’s No. 10-rated player nationally in the recruiting class of 2011, has a list of KU, Texas, Oregon, Oklahoma State and San Diego State. Zagsblog.net reported Thursday that UConn has tried to enter the mix. UConn coach Jim Calhoun has yet to announce whether he’ll be back next season.

As far as Daniels’ whereabouts ... “He’s here,” IMG Academies director of basketball Andy Borman told SNY.tv Thursday from the school in Bradenton, Fla. “We love him. We have no comment on DeAndre’s recruitment and there is no timetable.”

Comments

AndOne 9 years, 1 month ago

D-Wade should have passed to Mario for that last shot. He was set and open. It was his.

manunitedjayhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

You are blinded by your allegiance to KU, I do respect that, but that is not how it is going to roll in a late game situation with the Heat, especially when they did not call a timeout after Dirks's layup. They were able to draw something up for Mario to tie the game, but that was out of a timeout. Dwayne Wade had a ridiculous game, why would you want him to pass the ball? He makes off balance shots like that all day and night, no one is going to criticize him for taking that shot. Dwayne Wade and Lebron are going to be taking last second shots simple as that.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you, just wanted to point out that the Heat didn't have a timeout to call after the Dirk Layup.

justanotherfan 9 years, 1 month ago

I don't think Wade was in a position to make that pass.

The last thing Miami can do there is not get a shot up at all. They have to at least get a shot attempt. In that situation, Wade knew there were less than 4 seconds on the clock. That's definitely enough time for the following combinations of things to happen (anything more risks time running out before the shot is released):

• inbounds pass, two dribbles, pass, shot
  • inbounds pass, three dribbles, shot
  • inbounds pass, one dribble, pass, one dribble, shot
  • inbounds pass, one dribble, pass, pass, shot
  • inbounds pass, pass, pass, one dribble, shot
  • inbounds pass, pass, pass, pass, shot

Basically, you can have three ball handling actions before the shot attempt (either passes or dribbles). After that, you better be putting up a shot.

So what happened on the final play?

Inbound to Lebron, two dribbles, pass to Wade, shot.

Wade caught the ball with about 1.7 seconds on the clock. If he passes to Chalmers immediately, Chalmers probably catches the ball with less than a second on the clock, and still has to square his shoulders to get the shot off. That's going to be a tougher shot than what Wade had. He may be able to do that, if Wade gives it up immediately. But even then, a bobble or anything weird means Chalmers likely won't get his shot off in time. So a Wade passes gets Chalmers a shot that he probably has to rush because he has to catch the ball from behind him.

The only way Chalmers gets that shot is if Lebron hits him with the initial pass. Once Lebron took that second dribble, either he had to shoot, or the person he passed to had to shoot.

manunitedjayhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Yeah man you are correct. I watched the replay again and after Lebron made the pass to D Wade it would have been risky to make an extra pass to Chalmers with so little time remaining on the clock. That is why timeouts are so valuable in the NBA, they would have been able to advance the ball to half court after Dirk's lefty layup.

manunitedjayhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Yeah you are right, they did not have timeouts left.

JHawkfan32 9 years, 1 month ago

After Dirk's layup, the Heat didnt have any time outs!!! pay attention to the game before you start making "witty" comments

manunitedjayhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

"Witty" comments? Regardless if there were timeouts remaining Wade or James are going to be taking the last second shots in Miami. So what do timeouts really have to do with it? Good try....

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 1 month ago

lol..looks like we all thought the same. Really glad to see Chalmers turning into a very fine NBA player.

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

"Off-Season Friday Burnt-Ends, or Noun Stacking for the Hell of It:"

~Kieff and Marcus must already hold the distinction of "most quoted Twins in the NBA."

~Silas sounds like he wants Kieff.

~Poor Kieff.

~I loved Paul Silas as a Celtic player, but he has never distinguished himself as a coach. He has a 47% winning record in 11 seasons in the NBA. Even taking into account his having coached hapless franchises, his performances have not suggested he can get the most out of what talent he has. And he has shown no flare for piecing teams together, or building good chemistry that I can recall.

~SIlas isn't a bad coach. He just has shown no signs of being above average. In this regard, he is, unfortunately, a perfect fit for Michael Jordan, basketball executive. Jordan is not a bad executive. He has proven a mediocre one. And in this world, not only misery, but mediocrity, love company. And oh how they self-reinforce.

~As an NBA executive, MiJor has a history of making some good moves and chasing them with some bad ones. Dumping a great coach, like Larry Brown, and replacing him with a thoroughly undistinguished coach, like Paul Silas, just seems part of Jordan's pattern as an executive. What made Jordan great as a player, among many sterling qualities, was his insight that he was going to have to fail a lot to succeed. He was going to have to miss six shots to make 4 or 5. But as a great player with great coaching, he knew which shots to take to make 4, or 5. As an executive, about half Jordan's moves seem the equivalent of bad shots, not misses--the kind of bad shots he was way to good and smart to take as a player.

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

Being guarded by Forest Allen and his first national championship team in a secret cavern under Allen Field House until I am ready to replace them some day. It is my destiny to guard the original rules in that secret cavern until a second coming of the game occurs, a second coming that purges the game of recruiting corruption, gambling parasites, XTReme Muscle and XTReme Cheap Shotting.

Those rules that are over in the Nelson?

Those are not the true rules.

They are merely what Naismith copied down from memory after the vision...just the ink his pen left on some paper.

The real rules are on a wooden tablet torn from a cottonwood tree uprooted by a Kansas tornado and etched by lightening from a Kansas thunder storm; then hurled by that tornado deep into the prairie eyrth, where Allen Field House would one day be built. Those are the rules that exist for eternity, in Kansas now and always; that cannot be bought for any price, or sold for any price; or bargained over for placement in a building with a plugged construction loan; that exist for all the people always. The real rules aren't for sale, because they cosrt not less than everything. Guarding them is my destiny after I leave this mortal coil.

Where is yours?

Ron Franklin 9 years, 1 month ago

Holy Cow Jaybate, That was excellent! However, this morning when checking the site your avatar had reverted back to the original "generic" form, so I was curious as to why you had stopped using the golden cup as your grail. It must have just been a computer glitch, as I see the grail now.

So, until I can give you a better answer; Mine is still locked deep inside my head, and by the time I figure this one out, I'll probably be dead!

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

I figured that was what you were asking about, but I didn't see the phenomenon, so I decided to answer in a different way. :-)

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

And as a result, he has floundered as an NBA executive. Jordan took a good shot when he hired Larry Brown, and there is no shame, or even error, in letting Brown go, if Brown just was not the right fit. It was a good shot to take. But hiring Paul Silas is not a good shot for Jordan to take. Phil Jackson would be another good shot for Jordan to take, no matter how much Jordan has to pay him, but Jordan would have to promise to also shell out the money to get Phil a Jordan/O'Neal/Kobe equivalent franchise anchor to get Phil to do it. Landing players of this caliber is not solely a matter of offering big money. Offering big money is just ante to the competition. To land an NBA superstar, an NBA executive has got to be be as shrewd and cunning and daring and sneaky and lucky as a Hollywood movie producer with a string of hits. We'll know when Jordan is a serious competitor as an executive, when he goes out and engineers a deal for a great player, the way Jerry West, Mitch Kupchak, and Pat Riley have done repeatedly over the years, then put that great player with the right great coach, and surround that great player and great coach with the right supporting cast. So far, Jordan has shown his managerial skill and luck to be indistinguishable from all the other mediocre GMs and owners in the NBA. He has not yet even shown himself able to build non-superstar based winner the way Danny Ainge of the Celtics and R.C. Buford of San Antonio have done. Jordan has the want-to to play this role. He obviously has the bargaining skill and influence and money to get control of organizations. But he has yet to consistently take the "right" shots, as an executive, when gets control. Never bet against Michael, but Michael's record proves he has a lot of getting better to do regarding executive decision making, or he is not going to take an organization to the next level.

~For Kieff's sake, I hope Kieff lands with a better organization than Carolina, one lead by someone who has already gotten better.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

Heat: Totally agree about Wade passing to Chalmers for that last shot last night. Chalmers was wide open. As much as I love Chalmers and will always root for him..........I hate Lebron and Bosh so much that I will never root for the Heat. Go Mavs!

Charlotte Bobcats: I use to have season tickets to the Bobcats but I made a promise I would never buy them again. Well, if Marcus and Kieff go #9 and #19 to the Bobcats, I will pony up the cash.

Note: Kieff and Marcus, let me help you find a condo or house if this scenario does indeed play out and you both end up in Charlotte.

Selby: I actually hope Selby goes #17 to the Knicks. I think he would be an excellent fit there. He could learn from Billups and probably get a lot of "PT" in his rookie season there backing him up. Couldn't definitely see them both playing together feeding Amare and Melo.

DD: I'll believe anything when I hear it from DeAndre himself.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 1 month ago

I have no problems with Bosh but I really dislike LeBron also. He 'never' commits a foul but every bad play he makes was because he was fouled. He is truly gifted but stop the whining! Living near NYC..I would love to see the Knicks get Selby.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 1 month ago

I find it interesting that some people feel the need to tell others who they can or cannot dislike (or hate). Kinda like star struck teenagers who cannot believe that everyone doesn't share their opinion.

John Randall 9 years, 1 month ago

"""Kinda like star struck teenagers who cannot believe that everyone doesn't share their opinion."""

7782 hits the nail on the head! From these boards, I estimate the mean mental maturity of the fan base to be in the range 14-18. There just aren't enough of us old farts on here to keep things up to a par perspective, per se.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 1 month ago

Michael Jordan's problem is his ego..no one can be bettter than himself because he has to be the best and since he is just an average GM, he has to hire below average employees to maintain his top status.

It's what made him great as a player, but has made him forgettable as an executive.

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

Another day and Oak has shaken it all off and is back in fine form.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 1 month ago

Great News!!! Kansas is going to get an equestrian team!!!

How about that to brighten up your day!!

justinryman 9 years, 1 month ago

Well let the fit hit the shan!!

That should stink things up.

What a real stinker.

Does that mean Rebecca Lobo will come to Lawrence?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 1 month ago

How about Jessica Sarah Parker, or Princess Anne, or Camilla Parker-Bowles, or Chyna.......:)

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

As the fates would have it, I was just putting Lexol on my saddle. I never played a sport at KU during my undergraduate years. I wonder if, they would take a 56 year old freshman working on a second degree on the equesterian team? :-)

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

Marcus is the bigger "Risk" IMO. He's either going to be very good or just be an average player on a roster. Marcus is going to be playing the toughest position in the NBA so he's going to have to find a team where he fits.

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

If Marcus can become a serious trey threat, he will make a fine, fine 3. With a trey threat, he will become a lot like Scotty Pippen. He will blossom, if he gets to play with another great perimeter player, but just be another starter without the superstar backcourt mate.

But if last season's trey rate of 36% is what he's got for a gun, then he'll wind up close to Julian Wright.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you, Jaybate. The only problem with Marcus is that he is very "Skilled", but not that athletic compared to other 3's or small forwards in the NBA.

This is my thought though, if Jeff Green can find time on an NBA roster and find time with the Boston Celtics than I firmly believe Marcus will as well. Green is more athletic than Marcus, but Green doesn't use his athletic ability as an assett. With that said, I believe Marcus has better footwork and is all around more skilled so it will be interesting to see what happens to Marcus early in his career. He won't be overly flashy, but I'm hoping he's efficient and effective.

Nick Cole 9 years, 1 month ago

I live in Tampa, a short drive from Bradenton, FL where DD is. If there is anyone else in the area who want to make some signs and go down there to "persuade" him to choose KU, let me know. Also, can we get a fact checker to make sure this does not violate any NCAA rules...don't want to hurt KU by doing this.

Let me know if you're with me!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 1 month ago

Just make one sign that reads " Starting at small forward for the University of Kansas, from Woodland Hills, CA. Number 1, Deandre "The Destroyer" Daniels!!!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

That would be a Minor NCAA violation and would have to be reported to the compliance department at KU. LOL! Sounds stupid, huh? It actually is an NCAA violation. LMAO!

Michael Auchard 9 years, 1 month ago

So apparently Michael Jordan is Darth Vader. His presence is palpable.

UncleMiltyN 9 years, 1 month ago

Here I thought MJ had gone down to the crossroads and sold his soul to the devil to play ball like that. He was just using the Force...

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 1 month ago

Gary,

Next time, your Daniels Update only needs to be followed with one phrase..."N/A". When a decision is announced, post it, period!

Unless there is something to update, why bother? It would be like writing..."TRob Udate: Thomas Robinson is still coming back for next season.

milehighhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Your frustration is completely understandable, but I doubt you'll get far urging a beat reporter to not...report...the latest on a huge recruit.

Gary knows the readers clamor for this sort of stuff.

John Randall 9 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, from the TV schedule, this looked like quite a day on the Cartoon Channel.