Thursday, June 2, 2011

Marcus Morris visits Bucks

Milwaukee says forward ‘impressive’

Kansas forward Marcus Morris drives against Richmond forward Justin Harper during the first half on Friday, March 25, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Former Kansas University forward Marcus Morris, who continues his tour of NBA cities leading up to the June 23 draft, worked out for the Milwaukee Bucks on Wednesday.

“I thought he played very well. He is a versatile forward that can play both forward positions,” Bucks director of scouting Billy McKinney said in an interview available on nbadraft.com.

“We had a chance to interview him at the pre-draft camp in Chicago. It was a very impressive interview, and he was a very impressive player today with his ability to play inside/outside and knock down outside shots. He has a lot of talent. He’ll be a first-round selection no doubt.”

The Bucks, who also worked out Georgia’s Trey Thompkins, Virginia Tech’s Malcolm Delaney, Marquette’s Dwight Buycks, College of Charleston’s Andrew Goudelock and Nicholls State’s Anatoly Bose on Wednesday, have the 10th pick in the draft.

“He (Morris) will be a hybrid forward,” McKinney told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “With some smaller lineups I could envision him playing the power forward position, but he’s also good with his ballhandling skills out on the floor that he can play some small forward position as well.”

The 6-foot-9 Morris said he likes the idea of playing in Wisconsin.

“It definitely could be a fit,” Morris said. “I like Milwaukee. It kind of reminds me of Kansas, kind of a smaller, quiet town, great traffic.

“To have another Kansas guy on the team couldn’t hurt (along with forward Drew Gooden),” he added to the Journal-Sentinel. “It (playing at KU) definitely prepares you a lot. We take practice into the games.”

Of the day in Milwaukee, Morris said: “It was a great workout. I got to get after it a little bit and shot it real well.”

Morris’ next workout will be Monday for the Golden State Warriors, who pick at No. 11.

More workouts: Former KU guard Josh Selby, who reportedly worked out for San Antonio on Wednesday, will work out for the Miami Heat today. K-Stater Jacob Pullen will also be at the Heat workout. ... Markieff Morris will work out for the Charlotte Bobcats today.

Comments

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 7 months ago

I bet these kids are loving every minute of these workouts with nba teams! Just think being 20-21 years of age and working out with the teams you have been watching since your youth, it must be an awesome experience!

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 7 months ago

Cant wait to see where the twins land in the draft, im bias but hoping the Cavs trade down and get Marcus in the 12-15 range or Kieff a little later.

Love the line about "traffic" wonder if that is something HCBS uses to lure big city recruits to Kansas

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Marcus, don't forget..LaVerne and Shirley live in Milwaukee too.

One thing I might suggest is you is visit Milwaukee in, let's say, January, stand by the lake and watch your breath turn to icicles and then decide!!

As Horace Greely would have said if the bikini had been invented in the 19th century...go South, young man, go South!!!

SEKrep 8 years, 7 months ago

Really looking forward to this years draft. I think Marcus could have the biggest impact on an NBA team than other Jayhawks in recent years.

Funhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Paul Mokeski played for the Milwaukee Bucks. Paul is now an assistant coach for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA's D-League.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

Big Mo was a long-time Buck and always a crowd favorite despite coming off the bench.

RockChalk26 8 years, 7 months ago

As a Jayhawks fan who lives in Wisconsin I wish the best for Marcus. I really hope he doesn't get stuck playing for the Bucks. They are tough to watch.

JayDocMD 8 years, 7 months ago

According to Zagsblog, UConn is the newest contender in the Deandre Daniels not-so-merry-go-round. "Kansas is on the 'backburner' because the program is not known for featuring its wings, the source added."

(I guess Deandre's entourage wasn't watching when Brandon Rush and Julian Wright got drafted.)

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm afraid we've been on the back burner for a long time...or else he'd be here.

JayDocMD 8 years, 7 months ago

(I left out Xavier.) Three NBA lottery picks in the last 4 years at the wing position - apparently this does not live up to the standards of Double D.

Perhaps Oak - I guess I thought we were in the crock-pot on simmer. Was holding out hope that with Self's history of last-minute recruiting, he would pull out another B Rush / D Arthur signing. Either way, sounds like he may pop U Conn into the microwave.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry. This will probably be the stupidest thing anyone reads all day, but this headline just makes me laugh. " Marcus Morris visits Bucks ". I get this image of Marcus going "next door" to visit the Buck family with a big plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies, or maybe a nice Chablis.

Told you.

motorboatinsomnia 8 years, 7 months ago

Selby played only three good games for KU on a National spotlight & is probably going to get drafted in the mid/late 1st Round. What more do you want if you are a wing player coming out of high school?

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 7 months ago

I hope I never read "Selby Replaces Chalmers"

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Milwaukie became a solid town to live and play in from the moment they quit making Schlitz. Man that beer tasted awful. There have been quite a few other bad beers, but that one seemed to made by brewmasters that intentionally sought to make the worst beer ever.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Totally agree...and I don't even drink. Drop the "C", "L", "Z" and pretty much sums up it's flavor!!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

i don't drink anymore, but when i did - no such thing as bad beer! Didn't matter if it was hot, cold, can, bottle, on tap, whatever. I had a special affinity for the stuff in the yellow can that just said BEER! Schlitz had some pretty cool advertising and promotional stuff. And - When You're Out of Schlitz, You're Out of Beer.