Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Brady Morningstar ‘winded’ during Jazz workout

BYU’s Jimmer Fredette, center, and Kansas’ Marcus Morris thank the Indiana Pacers staff after a workout for the NBA basketball team Tuesday in Indianapolis.

Brady Morningstar needed a few seconds to catch his breath Tuesday after a rigorous workout with the NBA’s Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City.

“I’m a little winded because we’re up here in the altitude. I think it does something to you, but it was fun,” said Morningstar. The 6-foot-4 former Kansas University and Free State High guard ran through drills with BYU’s Jackson Emery, Westminster’s Michael Stockton and Virginia’s Mustapha Farrakhan.

“They teach you a lot, have you go hard and see what you can do,” Morningstar added in an interview with the Jazz public relations staff.

Morningstar, who is represented by Tommy Thomas of McClaren Sports, next has a workout with San Antonio’s Spurs on June 7. Morningstar has said he likely will play in Europe next year if he doesn’t land a spot in the NBA.

Markieff also in Utah: Former KU forward Markieff Morris worked out for the Jazz on Sunday. He was asked by reporters what NBA player he resembles.

“Carlos Boozer was here, so that’s why I said that,” he said of comparing himself to Boozer, the former Jazz standout now with the Chicago Bulls. “Rasheed Wallace maybe. I can score better than people think I can. I am a great passer. I have a high basketball IQ. I am competitive,” he added, asked what he brings to an NBA franchise.

Marcus Morris in Indiana: Former KU forward Marcus Morris worked out for the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday with BYU’s Jimmer Fredette, Tennessee’s Tobias Harris, Florida’s Vernon Macklin, Duke’s Nolan Smith and Jeremy Tyler, who played last season in Tokyo. Marcus will work out for Milwaukee’s Bucks today.

“They’ve got a lot of shooters, a lot of athletic guys,” Morris said of the Pacers. “Danny Granger is a shooter. Of course, they have Kansas native Brandon Rush. I know a few guys on the team.”

Asked by nba.com if he’s spoken to former KU player Rush lately about draft preparations, Morris said: “No. I mean Brandon is kind of a loner a little bit. He doesn’t come back to Kansas that much. He’s a good guy. I’ve talked to Cole a little bit. He told me about the process,” Morris added of former KU center Cole Aldrich of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Dad visiting DeAndre: DeAndre Daniels’ dad, who lives in California, has joined his son at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., Rivals.com reports. This has led to speculation the 6-8 senior may be close to announcing for KU, Texas or Oregon. San Diego State and Oklahoma State have also been mentioned. One recruiting Website insists he’ll announce at the Pangos camp this weekend in Los Angeles.

Comments

Jared Grillot 2 years, 10 months ago

Why does this story lead with Brady but open with a pic of Marcus?

dynamitehawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Holy $hitballs! OK, even though Vig officially closed this thread I must say I'm shocked at the hate.

I will always remember being at the Sprint Center, seeing Brandon coming back with his brace and getting chills from how loud it was. Great memory of the fan love.

Not sure we have seen a guard throw down like this in a while:

Here's to B-Mac stretching long for dunks and blocks.

When I stopped watching and caring about cable news (politics), I think my life expectancy - or perhaps my life enjoyment expectancy has increased greatly.

Tampon.

Viggo3003 2 years, 10 months ago

This string is officially closed. Have nice day.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

"and a movie will come along that will lift our spirits ..."

Well said, jaybate. After seeing the sensational movie "The First Grader" last night, I can highly recommed it to all Talk about a spirit-lifter! Well worth the time to check out.

Speaking of movies, love the Stripes reference, nuleafjhawk!

KansasComet, that's an excellent point about Brady, which makes it all the more hard to believe that he would receive any invite to try out for an NBA team. I was as big a fan of Brady as anyone, but even if he was younger I wouldn't think he'd have a prayer of making an NBA team. And at his age, I can't comprehend why any NBA team would take the time to look at him.

Since half of this thread has been devoted to politics, I can't resist the urge to say my pice: For those of you who scream constantly about the "liberal media" and love to quote Rush and his fellow lying, hypocrtical bastards, keep in mind that out of 1,700 talk-radio stations in America, 91% of them are conservative, and that there's not a single TV station that is entirely devoted to one side of the political spectrum the way that Faux News is. (Some people will no doubt bring up MSNBC, but that doesn't have nearly the amount of political programming that Fox Noise does, it only has a few shows that are consistently left-wing, and it doesn't hire politicians who are pretending to be journalists. It also engages in something that will seem foreign to the morons, er, dittoheads out there: the truth.)

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 10 months ago

Brady Morningstar was a hell of a player at KU. He will be missed.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 10 months ago

What is Brady doing in an NBA camp? They must need some fillers. He did get a DUI during boot camp, not surprised he's "winded." It's not that high in elevation, either, only around 4k.

I'll miss the Morris brothers and they're off the wall quotes.

KansasComet 2 years, 10 months ago

I do not see Brady Morningstar making it to the NBA, and it may be due to age descrimination. He may be too old for an NBA team to invest their time and money on. Much easier to get a 19 year old with the same skill set and invest in him. I do wish him well.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

How many NBA tryouts is Brady going to get?

I like his moxie.

I like his agent.

I like his game.

I like him.

I hope he catches on somewhere in play4pay.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

Politics makes strange board rats.

Self signing another 4 star, or two, would end a lot of this political displacement. :-)

kureader 2 years, 10 months ago

... strangest article/posts of the year. Headline about Brady Photo of Marcus Paragraph inserted about DeAndre and his dad LJW ... in a hurry today? Geez. Readers in bad moods doing political posts that have nothing to do with basketball. ... hope tomorrow's a better day for all of us.

motorboatinsomnia 2 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely. I'm sorry everyone. I love all Jayhawks....Now if you'll excuse me, I must go build a "terror mosque" in Times Square, organize a death panel, and start a PINKO movement while I re-write Obama's birth certificate to make it appear that it came from Hawaii.....Best to you all!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I posted this once before boys and girls, but with the attitude that everyone's got today, it might be worth another look. ?

Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! What the hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Jayhawks, with a capital 'J', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? ......................... Who saw the NCAA Tournament this year? Who cried when we got beat by VCU?

Nobody cried when we got beat by VCU? I'm sure.

I cried my eyes out. So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all smart enough to be Jayhawk fans. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're Jayhawks. But we're Kansas Jayhawks! We've been kicking ass for 113 years! We're 2038 and 799! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we practiced. We don't have to worry about whether Coach Self wants to have us hung. All we have to do is to be the great Kansas Jayhawk fan that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.

(minor liberties taken with quotes from "Stripes")

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

After today and reading this string of posts, I'm guessing tolerance and it's definition should just be deleted from every dictionary on the face of the planet because it no longer exits and therefore doesn't need a definiton!!

Jesus H. Christ, everyone.....the enemy is out there...Calimari, Coach Consanants, World Wide Wes, the East Coast Press, the NCAA, Dickie Vitale, rivals.com, etc.

Not here, not in the trenches of Jayhawk Nation. If I was Deandre, I would think that reading this post today would be frightening. Holy Cow...these Jayhawks eat their own!!

Give it a rest.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 10 months ago

You people are nieve to think that recruits wouldnt want to see alums around here. Especially notable alums like Rush and Collins. How do you think those family bonds are built? If I was a recruit, I wouldnt let freaking message boards influence my decision, and only morons would. My comment was that these guys SHOULD come back more. Plain and simple. IF YOU CAN SIT THERE AND SAY THAT IT WOULDNT MAKE YOU FEEL PROUDER TO BE A JAYHAWK SEEING THESE GUYS BACK then you have no business responding to my post. Move along.

BTW, thats another reason that everyone should love guys like Aldrich. This guy is proud to show his face and be around the community. I hope the Morris twins do the same. We need a family type atmosphere around here, at least more than what we have currently.

motorboatinsomnia 2 years, 10 months ago

Conservatives are also much more likely to buy monster truck SUVs, never recycle, deregulate EVERYTHING, join the Tea Party, and hate most black people.

Robert Robinson 2 years, 10 months ago

Haha, its funny to read these boards when the season is over. Everybody is all pussy. Lighten up guys. The new season will come.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey, Gary, couldn't you guys find a picture of Brady? Pretty sloppy journalism -- heading and picture have nothing to do with each other. The only thing worse would have been to include a football picture in its place.

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

Ralster-If I had known you were a conservative......I wouldn't have annoyed you so much!!

Well done, sir! Thank you for your support of our country!!

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

Regarding the article a few days ago about Markieff trashing talking Derek Williams....

Well....as some know.....one of the reasons KU lost to VCU was the trash talking the twins did to the VCU players before the game. Classless....and m,ore importantly....it fired up VCU....and look what happenned.....VCU destroyed Kansas.

The twins were good players.....and we tolerated them because of it. But they need to learn some class. I doubt they will though now that they are soon to be in NBA.

jhawktop 2 years, 10 months ago

Agree PhogAd. I like to think only die-hards post/read these message boards, and I sure hope I'm right. If Brandon and Sherron are on the fence about coming back to Lawrence, one scan of some of this crap and you've made their decision for them. And if I was a recuit scanning message boards (again, I don't know why one would, but if) I would steer clear of a school blasting every decision (or non-decision) and players of past National Championship teams. Stick to the positives, or at the very least constructive criticisms, or keep it to yourself.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 10 months ago

Yikes, did everyone skip their coffee this morning? The boards are full of Negative Nellys today.

I for one wish Brady all the best; hope Daniels makes a decision (to come to KU) sometime before March Madness 2012; thank Rush for sticking around two years longer than he was supposed to, being a quintessential team player, and helping us win a National Championship; and will cross my fingers that at least one of the Morii gets drafted by Chicago, so I'll actually be able to root for the Bulls next year.

RCJH, gang (and get some Folgers down your gullets already!).

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow. I can't believe the news! Brady Morningstar and the NBA. Goes to show you what glue will get you. Every NBA team needs glue. That's what teams are missing. I have no idea why a team would want someone fast and athletic, who can handle the ball and score, over glue? Glue wins games. You can't gameplan against glue. Rotate that ball. Don't let it stick. The guy will be a star .. NBA-star, not just a Morning-star. This will bring about a new era in the NBA. Don't you know, they don't play defense in the NBA. As you've seen in the playoffs, they just let guys score. No trapping, no help. This guy is the best defender ... ever! Once he hits the floor, folks are going to rethink the NBA game. And post entry passes .. did you watch any games? The best post entry passer on the planet! That's in his DNA. You can't expect some top ranked kid to appreciate the entry pass, let alone learn the skill. You can't take a better "athlete" who can shoot and score, and handle the ball, and teach him that .. no way! I'm telling you, unrated guys like Brady can lead teams to a championship! Rivals folks are idiots. Even though I've never seen Brady hit a three more than a few inches behind the line, he'll be an NBA three-ball assassin. He just needs time to develop. It just makes me wonder why a guy like Brady isn't on draft boards. Great kid (nevermind the DUI). And man, he's a Jayhawk. A freaking Jayhawk! Did you see all of them in the NBA playoffs? Come on Cleveland, make the right choice! Kyrie Irving .. what's he ever done? Brady led two different squads to the elite eight. What more would an NBA exec want?

Maybe a petition drive to get Brady an NBA roster spot. We can start it right now. Can't wait to see him lightin' up the league next season!

okiedave 2 years, 10 months ago

Give credit for Brady going after it. There are some who would argue that Brady shouldn't even try to get a spot in the NBA. Probably some who said he could never play for the Jayhawks. I wish him all the best in his attempt to expand his envelope.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 10 months ago

We know the twins will be on separate teams and that dream is over. They both need to move on and accept that can't depend on each other to hold one another's binky.

I am glad Brady is getting to train with a team because he at least gains an experience with a pro team. Do we expect him to go to Europe? Of course, but I say enjoy the moments provided you Brady.

I really don't care if Rush is a loner. As long as he shows up to play and does his best then who cares. Some guys are private when away from the game and that is nothing new. If he wants to visit KU cool if not once again it is his choice.

As far as DD I don't care, have moved on and honestly will be surprised if he shows up here. Next year will be a challenge, but it is not the worst thing in the world to be the underdog a la UCONN lol, but either way it will be a fun year.

Hank Cross 2 years, 10 months ago

It wasn't the altitude, Brady. Anyone who saw last night's game knows Brady isn't capable of playing at that speed and skill level. I'm just surprised that Europe has 100 teams.

And the only thing DD may announce this weekend is that he's added a dozen more schools to his wish list.

William Blake 2 years, 10 months ago

Since Jayhawk basketball news is entering the slow season...

1. Will the twins improve their game and maturity more by being separated than staying together?

2. Since DeAndre waited past the final date to sign a LOI... what are the chances schools recruiting DeAndre are breaking NCAA recruiting rules? (April 21 through July 5 - NCAA Recruiting Quiet Period)

3. If you dropped a container full of Mentos into an oil tanker full of Coke, while planted in a tiny capsule on top... would you make it safely into outer space?

kbrancac 2 years, 10 months ago

I really liked both of those guys, Rush and Collins. I thought Rush carried himself with class as a ballplayer. I ran into Sherron in a restaurant in Lawrence. He was friendly and I saw him talking to some kids, they were thrilled. I hope he does well internationally.

kushaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Shouldn't there at least be a picture of Brady in the above caption? I know Jimmer and Brady look similar, but I at least expected to see Brady bent over with his hands on his knees gasping for air.

El Jay 2 years, 10 months ago

funny how people are hating on Rush in this thread, the guy did help us win a national championship and if I remember correctly, he was a pretty big part of the team that year. I dont think he's a punk at all just because he stays to himself - I think he's a Champion and I love the guy. And as for Sherron, the guy is in Israel or something like that. He's trying to make basketball a living the hard way. Im not gonna fault the guy because 100% of his focus right now is on grinding away at his career - thats just ridiculous. You guys need to lighten up.

And DeAndre, you know Lawrence is where you want to be and we want you to be a part of Jayhawk Nation so take all the time you need, just make the right choice - KU!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

What!! Rush is a loaner? I thought he was a full time Pacer. How can you do that and still maintain team loyalty? This is.....what?...loner? OH!!.....Nevermind.

So much for the Twins dreams of playing together. I can't wair for the first time one hard fouls the other and they end up on the floor pounding each other like brothers sometimes do!!

I think Brady needs to take a language course in Greek because that is where he is going to end up for a year or so.

Not being a smart a$$ here, but is there a Mom somewhere in Deandre's life? We could send Angel on a mission from God!!

IrishDaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

Poor Brady, he was soooooooooooooooooooo winded, yuk yuk yuk. I think he'll be sellng insurance in 2 months.

kushaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Interesting take on the "One and Done" rule. Man, it would be awesome if they could could get rid of this rule.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 10 months ago

Rush is not a Kansas native...Missouri native, Kansas Alum. And it's refreshing to hear he's still a punk. What would be the harm in him reaching out to Marcus in that scenario? God knows he's had a million people in his corner get him to, and keep him in the current spot he's in.

I have never saw any kid struggle so much with what school to attend? Wow. I guess we will here soon enough. He's not coming to KU though - that is clear to me. I'd say its OSU or SD - since they are the two most recent entrants. He's had his time to pick the others and hasn't.

I had no idea the NBA was looking at Brady?

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 10 months ago

Pretty sad that Rush is a loner. That's why I love guys like Simien, Aldrich, and others. They appeciaye Kansas for what it was and currently is. I wish Rush and Collins would do the same. It's a shame.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 10 months ago

Why does Daniel's dad have to join him? In this day of modern communication that doesn't have to happen.

waywardJay 2 years, 10 months ago

In a related story, Donald Rumsfeld announced to a Denny's Waiter that he believes any day he will find the Weapons of Mass Destruction, and that he prefers no butter on his wheat toast. ;)