Sunday, July 31, 2011

Backcourt prospects stand out in Shawnee

Prep guard Koenig: Kansas has faded

College basketball recruiting notebook. ...

Two nearly identical blue-chip backcourt players in the Class of 2013 — one headed to Kansas University and the other with KU on his list of prospective schools — played well at the KC Prep Invitational held Thursday through today in Shawnee.

• Kansas City Pump N Run’s Conner Frankamp, ranked No. 65 nationally by Rivals.com, orally committed to KU on July 16. The 6-foot-1, 160-pound junior point guard/shooting guard from Wichita North chose KU over Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA, Kansas State, Missouri and others.

• Wisconsin Playground Warriors’ Bronson Koenig, ranked No. 66 nationally, tells Rivals.com analyst Clint Jackson that co-leaders Wisconsin and North Carolina lead Duke, while KU has faded. The 6-foot-2, 170-pound combo guard averaged 17 points a game last season for LaCrosse (Wis.) Aquinas High. Frankamp went for 27.2 ppg at Wichita North.

It would make sense if KU has “faded” a bit for Koenig, considering it’s highly unlikely the Jayhawks would bring in such similar players in the same class. Both are known as deadly three-point shooters and have been compared to fiery former KU guard Kirk Hinrich.

Koenig — he also has Indiana, Marquette, Michigan State, Minnesota and Virginia on his list — told the LaCrosse Tribune that Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski offered him a scholarship Tuesday.

“I mean, I’m handling it,” Koenig told cbssports.com, referring to the recruiting process. “I’m not very good at it yet. But I’m trying to get better.”

Frankamp, by the way, told the Journal-World on Thursday that life has been good since committing to KU.

“I’m happy, and everything is going well. It’s time to relax (before school starts),” noted Frankamp, who, after committing, went on to be named MVP at the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas.

Duke flap: Duke and the NCAA are investigating whether an NCAA recruiting rule was violated when Krzyzewski reportedly offered a scholarship to prospect Alex Poythress during a summer tournament, CBSsports.com reported Saturday.

Poythress told CBSSports.com that Krzyzewski spoke to him Tuesday while he was in Orlando for a tournament with the Georgia Stars.

NCAA rules prevent coaches from contacting recruits before they are finished playing in tournaments.

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson said in a statement Saturday that the school is gathering facts and that “proper adherence to NCAA bylaws has always been, and will continue to be, a cornerstone of Duke Athletics.”

Comments

Mike Rotchurtz 9 years, 7 months ago

Not Coach K! Say it isn't so. He would never do anything wrong (I think I heard that on ESPN).

100 9 years, 7 months ago

Coach K gave his offer through an AAU coach & didn't alert the kid who he offered nor his family?

karken1992 9 years, 7 months ago

Article made it sound like he personally offered the kid a scholarship and the kid didn't sound excited. He then called the kids AAU coach probably to see if there was some back story as to why the kid wasn't excitied (i.e. fishing to see if the kid had interest in Duke or liked another school more). At least that is what I got out of it.

LaJHawk666 9 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone know if Frankamp can dunk?

Do you think he's more of a combo guard or a true point guard? I'm hoping for combo guard.

Kevin Studer 9 years, 7 months ago

I have seen him play a few times, and never seen him dunk. At least right now, he is too small to play off guard. He is only going to be a junior, so he can still grow and fill out, but for now he is a true point, albeit a very, very good one.

Jeeveshawk 9 years, 7 months ago

In the following link there is a low quality video that shows him dunking during practice.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 7 months ago

Not that it matters, but in the Under 16 World Games in Cancun, Mexico, a month ago, KAKE-TV (ABC) showed highlights of Frankamp dunking in a game. Obviously, that is not his strength.

Alohahawk 9 years, 7 months ago

According to what the recruiting services and the LJW has reported, Frankamp, with his dribbling and decision making abilities, is primarily a point guard. However, most highly recruited guards with his shooting capabilities, especially in Self's system, have to be considered shooting guards as well. As you state, always best if he is a combo guard. As for his dunking the ball, my thinking matches the old saying, "White men can't jump.". I hope I'm proven wrong. I mean, Reed supposedly had the largest jump/reach on last season's roster.

Scott MacWilliams 9 years, 7 months ago

Seems to me that Tyrel proved he could dunk, apparently did it plenty in practice.

I don't think Mr. Frankamp will be expected to dunk, especially when he's so cold-blooded from downtown. I'm really looking forward to his putting on the Kansas colors! I really like the Hinirich similarities...

How many days till Late Night???

Rock Chalk!!

Scott MacWilliams 9 years, 7 months ago

Hey folks, Way off topic here, but I'm hoping that someone can answer a question for me...

OU's in trouble again for recruiting violations: (Here's an excerpt from ESPN.com) +++++++++++++++++++++++ "This is an isolated incident involving a single member of the coaching staff, who clearly knew his lack of action to prevent or report the violation was not acceptable," the university said. Instead, Oklahoma asked the NCAA to place the program on two more years of probation, vacate its wins from a 13-18 season in 2009-10 and take away one scholarship, two official visits and 10 in-person recruiting days during the upcoming academic year. The violations occurred while the Sooners were still on probation for major rules violations involving recruiting phone calls by former coach Kelvin Sampson in a case that ended in 2006 and major infractions involving football players being paid for work they weren't doing at a Norman car dealership in a 2007 case. There were also major rules violations by the men's and women's gymnastics teams considered in the football case. In the latest case, the school said former assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro broke NCAA rules by failing to report that a player had received an impermissible extra benefit and by lying to Oklahoma and NCAA enforcement staff during the investigation." ++++++++++++++++++++++++

My question is this, how come they NEVER charge the people responsible, the 'former coaches' who leave and get another job making big$$ someplace else? Or the car dealers, big $$ boosters whatever, when it's costing the universities lots of money?

Also, I had to chuckle at OU offering to vacate a 13-18 season. That will improve their overall record by 5 games, won't it??

Mike Kendall 9 years, 7 months ago

I feel sorry for Lon Kruger, who took over the Sooner basketball program. With the latest alleged violations, it will be hard to convince the Sooner faithful to attend more basketball games.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

“Apparently, he offered me, but I didn’t even know it,” Koenig said. “He called my AAU coach and said he offered me and that I didn’t sound very excited about it. He must have said it in a weird way.” --From story above

Investigate.

jhox 9 years, 7 months ago

Coach K is untouchable. No way Duke does time over this one. The NCAA fears him.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 7 months ago

Even most Duke haters respect Coach K and as jaybate pointed out above, "“Apparently, he offered me, but I didn’t even know it,” Koenig said." is not the case the NCAA wants to pursue. (Apologies to grammar fanatics) The NCAA should fear Coach K. He has far more respectability and at least perceived integrity.

Woody Cragg 9 years, 7 months ago

I agree-way too many consonants to get to the bottom of it, even if Poythress says so. LOL.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 7 months ago

Coach K has been pristine, and followed the rules. If a guy makes a single, very minor mistake, he shouldn't get hammered. They obviously do things the right way .. whether you like them or not. And I don't.

jlvlawrence 9 years, 7 months ago

He has done things the right way and doesn't deserve to get hammered for this.

AverageCitizen 9 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, it does seem a minor mistake by K on Poythress but the above article said "Koenig — told the LaCrosse Tribune that Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski offered him a scholarship Tuesday." That is TWO times K has extended an offer on Tuesday. Isn't this a second violation?

waywardJay 9 years, 7 months ago

Corey Maggette, Elitist.

Actually said to a judge that Duke paid him to play for Duke.

NCAA balked because DUke lock in step denied any knowledge, became Corey said against they said.

Tell me now, What good would it do for Corey Maggette to lie about this?

We know he has tantrums on the floor when he doesn't get his way. We know he is willing to take just about any Risk to get a win on a basketball court. Now TWO basketball players are saying that K offered them Schollies while still playing in tourneys.....

What do they gain from lying?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 7 months ago

The Myron Piggie deal, right? I thought the issue was that Myron Piggie paid some players, including Maggette. And that Duke denied knowledge.

But aside from that, does knowledge even matter? I mean if their players were paid related to their basketball ability, wouldn't that make them ineligible? Much like Reggie Bush? Vacate wins, championships, etc.?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Coach K.

waywardJay 9 years, 7 months ago

Certainly far from Squeaky clean..... to say the least.

justanotherfan 9 years, 7 months ago

Remember that this same Myron Piggie deal is the one that caused Jaron Rush to get suspended during his freshman year, and then again during his sophomore year (and told that he would never play college basketball again, hence why he entered the NBA draft after his soph year).

Maggette and Duke went completely unpunished in that deal. Let's just say the NCAA was "selective" in who got punished on that one.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 7 months ago

you don't hammer the man, but you need to still investigate. if something against the rules occurred it needs to be brought to light, regardless of how "clean" the accused coach is seen to be.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 7 months ago

I agree .. just suggesting that we not jump to conclusions, nor suggest hanging the man based on a confused allegation. Let's just see how it plays out and resist the temptation to bag on coach K like so many here delight in doing with respect to Calipari.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

I think we all need a touch of reality here....elite programs always get the benefit of the doubt.

Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and, yes, Kansas are the cornerstones of the NCAA television basketball money machine. It would take something outrageously serious and indisputable to actually hammer any of these programs...ours included.

In 1988, there wasn't nearly the money in it as there is now so you could still blast a defending Champion....not any more. Just start listing the UCONN violations and yet they are still in good standing.

The one caveat is it's not nice to make the NCAA look foolish. They do a great job themselves. However, if they perceive you have screwed with them.....look out!!!

I'm not sure how this rambling fits into the article above, but, it's Monday morning so what the heck!!

Sam Constance 9 years, 7 months ago

ESPN's article on the matter says that it's prohibited to even contact a recruit prior to them finishing their tournament(s):

So I don't know how much it matters that the recruit was confused about whether or not a schollie was actually offered. In fact, my perception (which is not reality) is that it makes it more fishy that Coach Krzyzewski offered the scholarship in a manner that wasn't clear and direct. That lends credence, imho, to the idea that the coach knew exactly what he was doing and didn't want to be too overt about it.

Or it was just a misunderstanding and the only thing Coach Krzyzewski is guilty of is contacting a recruit before his tourney finished, which is an odd thing to be against the rules in the first place, if you ask me.

Anyone know the reasoning behind that no contact rule?

AZHawk72 9 years, 7 months ago

Oklahoma--flirting with the death penalty? Holy SMU! Wait a minute--I lived in Edmond and worked in OKC for three years. It was years before I was totally revived. Never mind--the penalty would be redundant.

AZHawk72 9 years, 7 months ago

Oakville, I don't know if elite programs necessarily get a free pass--ask anyone at Ohio-State, Michigan, Tennessee, or USC these days. It has so much to do with hiring practices and the tradition of coaching hirings. Look at North Carolina last week: football coach Davis canned, AD resigns. The last man standing: Roy boy.

Matta will probably get dogged because of Tressel's transgressions. Based on Calipari's legacy of UMass and Memphis, I would think the NCAA would have a regional office in either Lexington or Louisville (to monitor Pitino's restaurant performances}. USC, especially, better watch how well they flush the toilets after Floyd and the Bush affair, leaving Reggie third behind George and "burning." Baylor's remarkable comeback from the dead (or at least the lack of a non-conference schedule, which holds the record for "penalties too strange to believe".}

I think it's the legendary coaches who get the free pass more than the schools. Duke's lacrosse and football issues never washed on the teflonish coach "K." After what took place under Wooden for years, it's a wonder anyone would attempt to follow that act given the boosters beyond-anything-recorded performances. Sometimes, I think that the schools that make the NCAA tons of money, seemingly, can do no wrong. However, if that's the case, then they are crooked and need to be blown up. Shockingly, at least to me, there are an increasing number of serious major university leaders who feel that there just might be something "rotten in Denmark." If they ran their schools like they ignore the NCAA's continual inconsistent decisions, prejudices, and selling of their souls for the dollar, these institutional leaders would be out of a job like so many Fiesta Bowl accountants (Okay, that's a homer comment but very true.)

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. Okay, I was a young journalist in the 70s just out of KU, and I gave the NCAA a free ride because they were based in nearby Mission, Ks. I know now that homerism is bad, that the Scouts hockey franchise was meant to leave (now the New Jersey Devils via Denver), that the suburbanites would not support the Kings no matter how interesting Tiny Archibald was because it was dangerous downtown after dark, and that two beautiful stadiums had to be stuck way out at the intersection of two interstates against the innercity revivals going on across America--and...no, Father, I don't know anyone named "Whitlock." What do mean 500 Hail Marys! I have a date tonight. Yes, Father, I do have to change my ways. Is tomorrow okay?