Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Jayhawks land Texas QB Seth Russell

Seth Russell, a 6-foot-4, 195-pound quarterback out of Garland, Texas, orally committed to the Kansas football team on Tuesday.

Lending credence to recruiting coordinator Reggie Mitchell's claim from earlier this summer that, "you always take a quarterback," the Kansas University football program picked up an oral commitment from a three-star QB out of Texas on Wednesday.

According to a report from JayhawkSlant.com, Seth Russell, 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, out of Garland, Texas, made up his mind Tuesday night and let the KU coaching staff in on his decision as soon as he could.

"I called this morning and told the coaches I was committing," Russell said. "I loved my visit there and it felt like family to me. It was an awesome feeling to be around the coaches. I am blessed to be a part of an organization like that."

Russell chose KU over offers from North Texas and Wake Forest. Oklahoma and Texas A&M also had been showing interest.

Head coach Turner Gill, offensive coordinator Chuck Long and wide receivers coach David Beaty all played a big role in landing Russell, who ranks as the 26th best dual-threat QB in the country according to Rivals.com.

Russell becomes the fourth player in the Class of 2012 to commit to KU.

Comments

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

You'll have plenty of chances to bash Gill and his staff. This wasn't one of them.

James Kiernan 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh come on Reader, that comment was funny

droppinplates 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, no, it wasn't funny. It was a lame attempt at being funny but the kids's ranking and the fact A&M and OU at least showed interest....well, made the poster look like a childish idiot.

boomrsoonr26 3 years, 4 months ago

I thought it was funny, and made you two look disconnected from reality. Funny for the first comment!

Eliott Reeder 3 years, 4 months ago

I am not a fan of ahperse, but that actually made me laugh...

brinkofdawn 3 years, 4 months ago

Normally, I think ahperse is a d-bag...but that comment was pretty funny.

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 4 months ago

I think that is a funny comment, just not for this particular article. Everyone seems to be soooo hung up on rankings, and he's ranked as the 26th best dual threat QB. Heretofore, KU has the 26th best recruiting class at that position. Furthermore, if KU continues to recruit the 26th best player at every position, then we'll be the 26th best team in the country, naturally. You know, cause rankings mean everything and recruiting is all that matters.

I feel like you wasted a funny comment for the wrong article. And, oh yeah, you're still a dumb F idiot.

ejlumus 3 years, 4 months ago

Please go away ... your act is running thin!

Jayhawk444 3 years, 4 months ago

I gotta admit...that one is pretty funny

DRsmith 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't care who you are, that right there was funny.

focojayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

HILARIOUS! whether you are anti Gill or not, this is simply funny.

Luke Kay 3 years, 4 months ago

Definitely funny... kinda my first thought when I found out who we beat out for the kid. Early recruits are nice, but it feels like we are always aiming low. And there is no timetable on when OU and A&M were looking at him. Could have been years ago, and then they lost interest.

clarkentsman 3 years, 4 months ago

North Texas is coached by 2nd year coach Dan McCarney. McCarney took over as head coach of Iowa State in 1995. Iowa State had three winning seasons in 16 prior to McCarney. He lead them to their first bowl game in 23 years and five bowl games from 200-2005. In all, McCarney has coached in 20 bowl games in 34 years as a collegiate coach, five of which are current BCS bowls. He has coached 22 players that have been drafted by the NFL, including nine that have gone in the first three rounds.

He may not be Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne but we are not Alabama or Notre Dame. But I would think that McCarney has coached good players and should be a better judge of talent than you ahpersecoachingexperience.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

McCarney hired Terry Allen AFTER he coached at KU. Maybe he is not a better evaluator of talent.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

but Allen had success before he was at KU. Maybe Allen just wasn't a HC, and McCarney does know talent.

Marc Frey 3 years, 4 months ago

I will give ah...props. If you can not laugh at yourself, then humor isn't your thing.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 4 months ago

I gotta know how the heck you are always the first to post????? That said that was funny as hell! But this kid sounds like a good pick up to me. He's tall atheletic and fast. What's not to like?

I been saying for quite awhile though ahperse keeps things interesting! And Damn funny! Maybe it's really Keegan! LOL!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

We all realize we're just feeding into ahperse's narcissism by posting 17 responses to his post, right?

Dan Harris 3 years, 4 months ago

You mean sooballs raised from the dead?

79ictjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

+1 Persy is an attention whore. (Dang, I'm feeding his ego myself!) His comment was a mildly amusing at best. Those who think it was funny as hell or extremely funny need to watch some Monty Python.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah we are but he is kinda funny sometimes.... I know I don't like his negative comments about Gill and staff but he's gotta get props for some of his 1 liner posts :)

kesmithstl1 3 years, 4 months ago

funny stuff! Ignore the haters ahperse. If we can't laugh at ourselves, we are going to drive ourselves nuts!

UmbertoConforti 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if ahperse is serious or trying to be funny but North Texas has a new stadium and a big time new coach, Dan McCarney. You might recall that he took Iowa State to five bowl games before he got his tit in the ringer. They are located near the Dallas and Fort Worth area. He will be milking that area. I am surprised KU got a Garland quarterback away from UNT. Garland is a big suburb of DaIlas. I really believe that in three or four years that won't happen. North Texas must have too many quarterbacks to compete against. That school's enrollment has skyrocketed if you believe their figures. They have almost 38,0000 students in several campuses including one in south Dallas which has produced many excellent football and basketball players. They have a law school there, a medical school in Fort Worth, and large business and engineering schools on their main campus. I was amazed at all this stuff. The area is about three times as large as Kansas in population. Someone also told me that Bill Snyder and Hayden Fry once coached there.

TulsaTownJhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Good job on the TX recruit, but do we need another QB who can't see over the O-line? Maybe he'll hit a late growth spurt ... or we'll change our offense back to the Touchdown Todd Glory Days.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

He's 6'4". That's 6" taller than Riesing.

He has another year of high school football remaining. He's already 195lbs, he could easily play at 215.

TulsaTownJhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

The first article read "5'4" -- guess he did hit that late growth spurt!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

And you took that as accurate? Well, you'll be happy to know we are also scouting a center that weighs in at 115 lbs.

TulsaTownJhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Ha! I guess I have just acquiesced to lowered expectations for the foreseeable future.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 4 months ago

I can tell you I met Todd Reesing and he is no where near 6 feet! I am 6 feet 1 and am several inches taller! I got to meet him at a book signing and I really couldn't believe how small he was that said he was one of the best qb's we've ever had! So ladies..... Size doesn't matter! For the record I would guess Reesing no taller than 5"10'

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

If you do the math, that is what KUreader was saying also. Those inches can be tricky.

Ashtin Meerpohl 3 years, 4 months ago

TulsaTownJhawk only likes guys built like JaMarcus Russell and Daunte Culpepper. I believe he also only wants guys that could also serve as a forwards for the basketball team also. Guys that are at least 6'6" 260 lbs. A QB/TE/G utility player. A guy who can throw the ball run down field catch it and also if he has to block for himself. C'mon man!

Gavin Fritton 3 years, 4 months ago

Seriously? John Elway is 6-foot-3. Joe Montana is 6'2. Will this kid be as good as either of them? I'd bet a lot of money against it. But complaining about his height when he's six-four is a little like complaining about having the fastest race car.

onlylookin2score 3 years, 4 months ago

Sam Bradford is 6'4". Along with Hasselbeck, Gabbert....

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Russell said, ... "it felt like family ... I'm blessed to be a part of an organization like that".

Don't know the kid, but his quote, and especially the word "blessed", gives some insight into why Gill and his staff may have had an advantage. Say what you want about the KU program and staff, they're recruiting hard and doing a better job of it than most previous staffs.

I'll be bringing more alcohol than usual to this year's tailgates. Hopefully Seth Russell and more future recruits like him will eventually help me to watch a game sober.

Go Hawks.

Mike Nicco 3 years, 4 months ago

"watch a game sober." Sorry, Ahperse..... this one wins today!!

jayhwkr77 3 years, 4 months ago

i gotta give it up to you the alcohol part was one of the more humorous posts ive seen on here in a while

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

"blessed" is the key word and that scares me. Every recruit mentions either "blessed" or "god's plan" when they sign.

I say you buy into Turners christian army and leave the alcohol at home or if you must bring it at least call it "Jesus juice"

79ictjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Exactly, the true reason why you don't like HCTG - you are an atheist anti-christian biggot.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

ahperse, have you heard Landry Jones' and Ryan Broyles' interviews from media day? If so, then you know that their testimonies make the word "blessed" sound weak by comparison.

Such words may scare you, but I for one would love to see that kind of faith combined with athletic performance in action on the field for the Jayhawks.

superelf 3 years, 4 months ago

Please explain how 6'4" is too short to see over the O-line.

Funhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe for someone watching a football game who is partaking of alcohol?

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the additional information.

Let's hope the LJW and a few negative posters can give Seth more respect than they have given to Berglund. Seth looks like a quality kid. It's nice to have some good news to read about.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Injuries hurting rankings/early recruiting by the traditional schools is becoming the MO for this staff.

Tait - Any possibility of a article about all the diamonds in the rough we're getting due to HS injuries?

number1jayhawker 3 years, 4 months ago

Now I know what the a stands for in ahperescoachingexperience and it's not apple.

Max Ledom 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually "ahper" comments are neither funny, informative, etc. They are a bit like a boil on ones a$$, or a mosquito you can't get rid of. A bit old and tiresome, but that's part of the gig when you spend time on web sites such as this. That said, I like this kids size. If he doesn't pan out at QB, he would be available to play other positions.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, what is sad is that we are historically probably only .500 against N. Texas anyway. Does anyone know where to find that?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

poke around this site http://mcubed.net/ for all sorts of records and such.

For the record, we are 3-3 against NTSU.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Ooops - messed up the columns. Three games, 3 wins with a combined score of 29-14.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 4 months ago

since we were really targeting this kid, it's good that he has committed. welcome Seth! we can always use quality athletes/QBs.

Stan Unruh 3 years, 4 months ago

Fantastic news .... Matt, please keep us posted on how his Senior season plays out.

Hawk09 3 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know if he played the full season last year, and what kind of offense his HS team ran?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

There is a video link in the marshall article.

He looks to have a nice delivery, decent arm strength and touch, and good wheels as well.

Very encouraging, and really better than Marshall IMO, though rated quite a bit lower. I'm looking for Marshall to become the next great QB/WR conversion following in the footsteps of Meier and Pick.

d_prowess 3 years, 4 months ago

If we had a Jayhawk Network we could show a couple of his HS games this season.

vd 3 years, 4 months ago

Will he stay commited after we fire Gill for only having 3 wins this year?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

People were questioning recruits staying committed in the middle of last year at 2 wins (pre-CU) and that seemed to workout alright. Turner will get a couple more years, and the team will improve too.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Tait, any word on if he plans to graduate high school early then report in august?

jaydee909 3 years, 4 months ago

Go fertilize Coach Gill's sunflower field.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

We've done well in the past with 3-star quarterbacks from Texas.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

We've also done well wih underrated 3*'s that were injured in their jr yr. Watch out for Lewandowski, and I believe a few more as well.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 4 months ago

We had 2 4 star recruits both RB I believe Phil was a two star lineman and Saunders was a two star. Most of the rest of the class this year were 3 star. Yeah I may have missed 1 or 2 but most were 3 star.

notigers4me 3 years, 4 months ago

Awesome news, welcome to the family Seth. Have a great senior year and we will see you next fall.

Sam Constance 3 years, 4 months ago

I didn't realize the internet geeks were collectively known as "Lew Perkins".

There were a lot of people dissatisfied with the way Mangino's final two seasons went, but the reason Mangino is no longer at Kansas has everything to do with Perkins.

From the way he called a players meeting without the head coach (I've never heard of an AD doing that... unless he was fishing for reasons to boot a fellow strong-headed individual who he often butted heads with) to the way he overpaid a guy to go away and keep quiet that he supposedly had all this evidence for a "With Cause" termination.

Silly... um, wait. What is it your school is known for again? Farming? Alright then.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

He also walked into a program on a 7 game losing streak, that was losing several NFL players, not to mention at least a half dozen more players after the season to go with a half dozen players over the previous year. Almost half of the team currently has no D1 experience, which just highlights how young we are now and shorthanded we were last year. And that was before we were hit with all the injuries to starters. Big improvement this year, especially if we can stay healthy, and another big jump next year and the next when the newbies get experience.

David Robinett 3 years, 4 months ago

LOVE the competition brewing at the QB postition: Russell, Berglund, Cummings...

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

When we hired Turner Gill, my first thought was shrug - oh well. Then it dawned on me, this guy was an actual football player - a really good one, under one of the most successful head coaches of all time. His overall record as a starting QB at Nebraska was 28-2.

He also spent many years as a QB coach (1992-2003) and wide receivers coach in 2004 learning from Tom Osborne and Frank Solich, who by the way was fired after compiling a 58-19 record at Nebraska. I don't know why, but every time I think of that it makes me chuckle that someone thought firing him was a good idea!

Add in another year as an assistant coach at North Texas and one at SMU and Director of Player Personnel for the Green Bay Packers in 2005 and you have a guy that has obviously put in a lot of hard work and knows what good football is all about.

I'm not the president of the Turner Gill fan club, but a lot of supposed KU fans are being unrealistic and unfair in their assessment of him. The guy knows football. Give him a chance to put the pieces in place. When Coach Self signs a 3 star player, a lot of you are ready to proclaim them as the next Michael Jordan or Danny Manning. When Coach Gill signs a 3 star player - it's a garbage find. Big deal. Who cares?

Sam Constance 3 years, 4 months ago

This is a great comment. I can see hope in Gill's pedigree, but I also couldn't avert my eyes from the (mostly) catastrophe that was the 2010 season. If he had come in and upset Georgia Tech while avoiding completely embarrassing losses that looked like KU wasn't prepared to compete, I think people would have had a lot more patience.

He has only himself to blame for the lack of patience. He burnt up all his "new coach" goodwill with the season-opening loss and some downright pathetic showings in Big 12 play.

That being said, he still has plenty of time to turn it around, in my eyes. He deserves some time to establish his own plan before everyone writes him off. The only real criticism I have of him right now is that he's being paid far more than he's worth or than we could have gotten him for. But hey, what else is new in the realm of sports.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't like Gill's contract either, but we can hardly blame GILL for that. The guy to blame is probably playing golf at the Lawrence Country Club right now, grinning from ear-to-ear, and spraying 150 yard drives in all directions.

Sam Constance 3 years, 4 months ago

You're absolutely right, of course. the contract is not Gill's fault, and you can't blame a guy for getting paid, so I guess a better phrasing would be:

"...the only real criticism I have of the entire Turner Gill to KU situation is...etc."

Funhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Nuleafjhawk, I am a member of the Turner Gill Fan Club. Turner Gill also finished fourth in the Heisman voting (Turner’s teammate finished first), and Turner chose an assistant coach, Chuck Long, who finished runner-up to Bo Jackson in Heisman voting. No surprise top notch high school quarterbacks pick Heisman quarterback finalists as their college coaches. Duplicating his college success, Turner is building an incredible offensive line. During his senior season, Turner called the signals for one of the most prolific offenses in college football history, averaging 52 points and 401 rushing yards per game. The Gill coaching regime now has their first recruiting class ready to hit the field. Can you imagine an eventual front offensive line reminiscent of the Nebraska Cornhuskers’ Turner Gill glory days? “Speed…recruit…speed…recruit…speed…recruit…believe.”

Kirk 3 years, 4 months ago

And good players always make good coaches!

Right?

fromthatstandpoint 3 years, 4 months ago

No and good position coachs don't always make good head coachs, but Gill coached one Heisman runner up and one Heisman winner. He also took a 2 star QB recruit with an average arm and along with Danny Barrett changed him from a 1:2 TD to INT ratio QB as a frosh to a 4.25:1 TD to INT ratio QB that is signed with the Jets as reserve/future contract. You might consider giving him just a bit more time.

DevilHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

He's a 3* QB at the moment. Not terrible, but not great. We've been weak at the position and we need a pipeline of QBs, so this is good news overall.

He's listed at 6-4 and a 4.6 40. We should be able to move him to a different position without much of a problem if he doesn't pan out at QB.

Sounds good for now.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Matt - There are several other DT QB recruits out there as well. Any word, idea whether we shut down on those guys, especially since we have such a small class? The one guy (NJ) is a really highly rated recruit as well. It would seem hard to stop recruiting a game changer like that. Another is the teammate (Simeon) of a 5* OT recruit that still has us listed as well. Watching Marshall video made me think I was watching a really talented WR playing out of position.

troutsee 3 years, 4 months ago

Great day for Gill and KU. Gill and his staff are going to make us proud of KU FB.

As for asper, he's a 5* jerk and always will be.

UmbertoConforti 3 years, 4 months ago

"Gill and his staff are going to make us proud of KU FB." troutsee

Even though God isn't too popular in these pages, I pray you are correct.

Hawkeye10 3 years, 4 months ago

Chuck Long was a great college QB. Sounds like he is going to be a good recruiter for KU. Rock chalk

Funhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Coach Long capped a brilliant Iowa Hawkeye career by placing second in the 1985 Heisman Trophy derby to Auburn running back Bo Jackson. Coach Long lost by only 45 points in one of the closest Heisman balloting ever.

Ryan Mullen 3 years, 4 months ago

If you don't think this is the next Elway or Montana then you are kidding yourself.