Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Two quarterbacks commit to KU

Bilal Marshall, a 6-foot-3, 170-pound dual-threat QB from Dade Christian High in Hialeah, Fla., orally committed to the Kansas football team on Wednesday.

photo

Rivals.com contributed photo

Seth Russell, a 6-foot-4, 195-pound quarterback out of Garland, Texas, orally committed to the Kansas football team on Tuesday.

Earlier this summer, Kansas University recruiting coordinator and running backs coach Reggie Mitchell said the one position KU would try to sign in every class no matter how big or small was quarterback.

He wasn’t kidding.

Wednesday, the Jayhawks picked up a pair of oral commitments from Class of 2012 quarterbacks Seth Russell, of Garland (Texas) High, and Bilal Marshall, of Dade Chrisitian High in Hialeah, Fla.

The pickups hammer home a couple of different points. First, there are no guarantees at quarterback, and it’s worth adding a couple every year because you never know which ones are going to become Todd Reesings and which ones are going to become Mario Kinseys.

Second, Turner Gill’s offense will be built around QBs who can move. Gill has said as much throughout his time in Lawrence, but, clearly, the ability to make plays both in the air and on the ground will be a must for the quarterbacks that will take snaps for the Jayhawks in the coming years.

Finally, while much has been made about Brock Berglund’s enormous potential — and to a smaller extent Michael Cummings — nothing is going to be handed to the Highlands Ranch, Colo., freshman, who, at one point, was ranked as the 13th best dual-threat QB in the Class of 2011.

Both Russell and Marshall are three-star prospects, according to Rivals.com, with Russell ranked as the 26th best dual-threat QB in the country and Marshall slotted 13th on the same list.

Russell, 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, made up his mind Tuesday night and let the KU coaching staff in on his decision as soon as he could.

“I called this morning and told the coaches I was committing,” he told JayhawkSlant.com. “I loved my visit there, and it felt like family to me. It was an awesome feeling to be around the coaches. I am blessed to be a part of an organization like that.”

Word out of Texas is that Russell is one of those true diamond-in-the-rough types. An injury during his junior year of high school cost him half the year. It also kept him off the radar of several local schools that, no doubt, will still try to make a run at him.

Still, Russell chose KU over offers from North Texas and Wake Forest and heavy interest from Oklahoma and Texas A&M.;

Marshall, 6-3, 170, also committed Wednesday morning, citing the fact that he believed KU was the total package.

“They have a beautiful campus there,” Marshall told Rivals. “The people are very nice, and it just had a different feel. The facilities are top of the line, and the dorm rooms are nice. It was the perfect fit for me.”

True as that may be, another element unique to KU played a huge role.

“Coach (Robert) Wimberly is from here and grew up about five minutes from me,” said Marshall of KU’s safeties coach. “He told me has had his eyes on me for a long time. He’s a great mentor and a friend. We could talk about anything and he knew what I was talking about.”

Russell and Marshall become the fourth and fifth players in the Class of 2012 to commit to KU. They join Arkansas athlete Derek Keaton, Blue Valley West offensive lineman Brian Beckmann and Ft. Lauderdale cornerback Daniel Gray.

Assuming all five sign with the Jayhawks, the Jayhawks are down to eight scholarships remaining in the Class of 2012. which could jump to nine if the coaches elect to use the scholarship they gained back by the departure of Wichita running back Dreamius Smith, who was ruled ineligible.

Comments

Ethan Berger 9 years, 4 months ago

How many more scholarships do we have left?

notigers4me 9 years, 4 months ago

Wow it looks like we will have a stable full of young stud QBs hopefully we can get one really good one out of the bunch, Rock Chalk

Adam Evans 9 years, 4 months ago

The other great thing is they are all dual threat QBs...which means a transition to RB, CB, or WR isn't out of the question down the road depending on their skill sets. Great flexibility so far with this class. I think HCTG is showing why we hired him, and why a few of us have stuck by him. Great work by the assistants too.

squawkhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

A 170 pound QB? Pretty light for a D1 QB. Hope he can put on at least 30 lbs before he gets here.

squawkhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Looks like KU and Baylor were his best options.

teemvee 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes, yes, yes! Loving the news today and love to see some positive people on here! Welcome to Kansas Blial!

truefan 9 years, 4 months ago

Take that Baylor, Boston College, Duke, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, Virginia, Wake Forest, Florida International, Memphis, and Tulane!

hawksince51 9 years, 4 months ago

I was glad to see BC and Purdue on the list because without them it was hard to get excited about beating out a bunch of schools that were on the same list as us in an article I read earlier today: Something like "The 10 schools who should get booted from BCS conferences."

Kman_blue 9 years, 4 months ago

To be fair, that article was written by a mentally handicapped high school kid who's been following college football for 1 year now.

Tim Quest 9 years, 4 months ago

ARRGH. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHANGE THIS TO "BILAL?"

It's driving me nuts.

Matt Tait 9 years, 4 months ago

Ask and you shall receive... Sorry about that. I blame two things. 1: The rush to get it posted, and 2: My amazement at the news.

Great day for KU.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 4 months ago

Matt---

Educate me. 15th best dual-threat QB in the Land---he is pretty good, right? If you can't answer, someone else can help me out. Thanks, in advance!

Matt Tait 9 years, 4 months ago

Judging by his offer list, you have to think so.

As a junior he threw for 1,300 yards and nearly ran for 1,000 more and I know the coaches love his instincts and ability in the open field.

Don't be surprised if some other, bigger, schools try to come after him as his senior year gets going... Nature of the beast, but, right now, he appears to be completely sold on Kansas.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

Looking at scout in particular shows several quality DT's are being offered.

Ross Cargo 9 years, 4 months ago

I totally agree. If we cannot get the players for the front seven on D, we will continue to have problems. We must sign some monster DTs, and a big fast inside LB.

Funhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

"They have a beautiful campus there." Yes, we do! The campus hill was known as Razorback Ridge before there was a college. The morning of Quantrill's sacking on August 21, 1863, the hill was outside the city limits. What is now the campus, was a large corn field. Of course, the farmers on the hill saw and heard what was happening in town below the hill. They hid in the tall Kansas corn stalks during the murder and mayhem, and that's how they survived the burning of Lawrence. And, that is why Mizzou is KU's biggest rival! P.S. Before moving to Missouri, Quantrill was teaching at a Kansas country school just outside of Lawrence, so the mass murderer was a traiter!

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 4 months ago

Then it's no wonder they wanted such a good quarterback. :-)

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 4 months ago

Thats still 10 over what is considered normal. You're sure being nice.

Tim Orel 9 years, 4 months ago

For ahperse, it is.

For a Mizzou fan, it would be their Valedictorian. For a Wildcat fan (UK or KSU) it would probably only be their Salutatorian.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

No 100 is normal or average. An IQ of 70 would put you at low functioning. Very low. Like if an employer hired you they'd get a tax break low!

Lance Cheney 9 years, 4 months ago

Are you even a fan? Why do you troll this site if you hate KU football so much? Get a life.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

If you check his post's on BBall articles his positive there. Only negative about football and actually more specifically Gill.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

My standing rule is to never make fun of the players. Which is sometimes hard when a camera can take down a TE or a girlfriend can make a fool out of an incoming QB.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

arterial hypertension - a girlfriend can make a fool out of ANYONE. Oh - you might know that if you'd ever had one. (not really feeling that hateful this morning, just thought it sounded funny. Kind of like you always saying acrimonious things for no reason)

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

Well... I actually like a lot of your post's. In fact I usually scroll through and try and find em. It's kinda like looking for the jokes in a playboy.

Sam Constance 9 years, 4 months ago

There are jokes in Playboy!?

I suppose next you'll tell me there are articles too! Yeah right.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

ahperse - (pssst - Playboy is the one with the GIRLS in it)

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

March and nuleaf. If you guys post stuff like that I won't need to read any of his posts! LMAO!

jhox 9 years, 4 months ago

While I'm realistic, and understand that this coming season is going to be another tough one, I can't express how excited I am about what Gill and staff are building at KU. Give all of these great athletes a couple of years in the program, and we're going see big time dividends.

Currently Gill and staff are paying the price for Mangino's staff's failure to recruit.

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 4 months ago

You see, THIS is called "being grounded" and being a fan. Simply insulting a program left and right is not "being grounded" it's just being a d*ckhole. Thank you jhox, for your supportive, yet grounded comment.

shepdog 9 years, 4 months ago

Some guy on msn sports basically said most those schools that he had on his list should be booted from the BCS! Doesn't mean a thing but the list is almost identical!

Gary Wirsig 9 years, 4 months ago

Great day to be a Jayhawk. Two very good QB recruits committing in a matter of minutes of each other.

Thanks Coach Gill and staff, especially Robert Wimberly. Look forward to seeing what you do with these young men.

jmason 9 years, 4 months ago

All Ahperse wants to see is results. I for one am on board with his cynicism until we see results. We love Jayhawk Football and all other Jayhawk sports but this last year was a joke and the future does not look much better.

Gary Wirsig 9 years, 4 months ago

Why do you say that the future does not look much better? What's your take on the recruiting class that Coach Gill is bringing in? Maybe you have insight I don't have, but the new class seems to point to better times that we've seen for at least the past two seasons. We may still be a year or two away, but I believe football is looking better.

Sam Constance 9 years, 4 months ago

You're right, this incoming class looks good. KU fans have a right to be optimistic.

However, recruiting is only half the battle. When Coach Gill starts to capitalize on these recruits' potential is when the optimism will become founded.

Until then, I can't get some of the horrific showings from last year out of my head, the GT and Colorado wins notwithstanding.

Sam Constance 9 years, 4 months ago

I was at that KSU game, sitting in a part of the stadium that had a good contingent of KSU fans (all of us were part of the KU/KSU Governor's Cup reception they hold before the game every year). I cannot remember a more miserable football game I've seen in person.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 4 months ago

Ahperse is sometimes pretty funny, and his skepticism is often founded...but it's non-stop. Oddly enough, some people don't like to hear constant whining, and that's what it sounds like, just a lot of sour grapes.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

rockchalk - absolutely right. We all have things to complain about from time to time and this is a nice venue to do that, so our wives don't slap us. (just kidding, hon) But when it's non-stop, every day, the funny mostly wears off and it kind of grates on your nerves - like your in-laws (again, hon, just kidding). Please, ahperse - come up with a new, less annoying schtick. Do you really want to be the one that nobody likes?

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

yeah - that was a DUH statement on my part!

fromthatstandpoint 9 years, 4 months ago

NO. You are off base. If all he wanted to do was see results, he would be withholding judgement. It is quite clear that he has made his judgement. All apers wants to do is naysay anything associated with Gill and any player who happens to make any kind of public acknowledgement of religious faith.

His comments might be funny if he EVER said anything positive. But instead its just tired and worn out.

HawkTronic 9 years, 4 months ago

After the article about Coach Gill's upbringing, I seem to remember a sincere positive comment from Apherse. I disagree with much of his analysis regarding Coach Gill's coaching, but his comments are often clever. We all need to lighten up.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 4 months ago

'Tis a nice recruiting haul, but while I love speed and QBs, I want to see coach do something neither him nor MM was able to do on a consistent basis...BRING IN QUALITY D-LINEMEN!!! And I don't mean ends, I mean big space-eaters to play tackle.

justanotherfan 9 years, 4 months ago

The tough thing about DT's is that most of the kids that play DT in high school either aren't big enough to stay there in college (i.e. less than 230 pounds), or they aren't mobile enough to play D1.

The key now is to find linemen, either DE's that can gain weight or OL's that can move to the other side of the ball. There just aren't enough true DT's in high school that translate to the D1 level.

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 4 months ago

But then where do college DTs come from? (Sincere question...)

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

Going back to '02's comment, the crucial, qualitative word is "quality". There are always bodies that you can stick in the middle of the DL, but the DE's and the rest of the D is not going to be effective if the DT's don't demand attention.

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

Two athletic QB's with speed ... in one day ... great job coaches! Keep 'em comin'.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

I watched the video. He has some wheels and is light on his feet... Great moves. I think his arm strength is weak to medium. I didn't see any balls zipping into receivers. Hopefully he has enough of an arm to at least be able to keep defenses honest. I don't see a deep threat with his arm as most linebackers in college will be able to run under the lobbing passes. Don't get me wrong I'm excited but I don't think I see Reesing's passing records being broken with this guy. He is fast! You watch him and assess what you see....

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Great article and video. He's elusive. Needs to gain 20 lbs and improve his arm strength, but he has time for that. He's a playmaker, and he has speed. A very nice recruiting win for KU. I liked the quotes from the kid, too.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

I agree with what both you guys said. I also do think he will improve once a college coach grabs ahold of him. The speed of the game is so much different from high school to college so for me it's hard to evaluate how good he will be going forward. That said he does look a step faster than the kids around him like he is playing at a higher level. I watched part of the video again and you are so right about the fact he never really plants his feet to throw but I watched guys like bubba starling and blake bell throw on the run and if we are comparing arms theirs were much stronger appearing and that was against a stellar Hutch defense. I should also note that his size is much smaller than theirs I also saw Bell as a senior the last game of the playoffs and Starling as a junior the state finals. Obviously Bell was a year older. I definitely see room to add weight to his tall lanky frame which is a huge positive. I have every confidence in Gill and Long to be able to get us a stable of QB's that can manage the game and do so very well. I see us in a bowl game next year (2012 season)! I hope I'm not being to optamistic I just think we will improve that much! And by no means am I knocking this young man just simply pointing out what I think needs work. I'm very excited about both these young QB's! Rock Chalk! Keep bringing em to Lawrence men!

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

Can't assess a QB, but what does seem apparent is that if he doesn't have the arm to make it as a QB, a HS jr that is 6-3, 170 (190 by 8/1/12?) and quick sounds like a great WR in the making as an alternate.

justanotherfan 9 years, 4 months ago

It looks to me like he is a more comfortable passer outside the pocket. He's quick, but doesn't look like he has that top gear as far as breakaway speed. He looks athletic though, so a move to WR or DB isn't out of the question. I think some work on footwork could make him a much better in pocket passer because he seems to have the physical tools. I'd put his arm strength at average, his speed at above average for QB, but average for WR or DB (if he were to move) and his quickness at above average. His footwork is poor, but that's something that can be improved easily if he is coachable.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 4 months ago

Wow. I am no expert and I don't watch many of these but this young guy impresses me. I like the way he uses his blockers. I have a bird's eye view and I am thinking, "throw to that guy" and almost every time he does. Seems like he must see the field pretty good. Most importantly it just seems like he has it, whatever it is. Glad to have him. Good job staff. Any more linemen? Especially D-line. Thanks for the link, AtlJayBird.

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

Another good video, Atl. Seth's a passer. I'd be surprised if they move him to another position.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 4 months ago

Nice. I'll take one of those, too. If you have a BB video I'll watch all three again and give my amateur opinion as to which is best.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations Coach Gill and staff on an outstanding day ! I hope you're celebrating many more summer days like this, and even better ones, for many years to come. It's especially sweet to see very good talent from Florida headed to the right part of the Sunflower State. Keep 'em coming!

texashawk10 9 years, 4 months ago

Marshall is going to end up being a wideout when he finally sees the field as a Jayhawk. He's not a great passer and his offense in high school is a run first offense. ESPN has him listed as an athlete which I honestly think is the best description for him. Marshall is a much better athlete than Seth Russell, but Russell is going to be the better QB down the road although he may not play until his senior year if ever. Adding great athletes and moving them around on the football field is something that is going to pay dividends down the road for Gill.

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

You may be right. Good observations. But, based upon Seth's speed and his success with other sports, I think he's a very good athlete too.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey, does anyone know where I can get designer handbags for a fraction of the price, knock off replica sports jerseys, or read oblivious hockey or sports performance articles?

What's that? Where?

KUbsee69 9 years, 4 months ago

Don't know for sure ... but probably in your closet.

Ryan Gerstner 9 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to KU! Absolutely great news! Made my day. Great to see Gill do well on the recruiting trail. It's just a matter of time and we're going to have a stud program on the gridiron too.

Robert Brock 9 years, 4 months ago

These two are fine athletes who may never play a down at QB. Which reminds me - KU needs to create a prestigious "Kerry Meier award" for those good-quality quarterbacks who effectively switch to receiver positions. Re this season - will Kale Pick make it?

Displayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget Nick Reid, who came to KU as a 3-star quarterback prospect, and left as an All-Big 12 Linebacker. What you see, is not always what you get!

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 4 months ago

Brock, good idea. Kerry Meier was a great example, not only switching to another position but really working at it, to the extent that he is in the NFL. If we can get buy-ins from players that will be big. Obviously, when you have 8 QBs there has to be some switching around.

Welcome to our two new QBs. Glad to see our recruiting success, getting people that are underrated instead of spending a lot of time getting people who are overrated and competing with everyone in the world. That would be a great use of our resources, huh Alphie?

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 4 months ago

Great news, as long as we learn from last year's mistakes and not juggle QBs around all season

jaycard 9 years, 4 months ago

What happened with Phil Ford? Am I out of the loop?

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

He didn't score high enough on the ACT. I think, and hope, Phil will be back here in a year or two his is a huge Jayhawk fan! Here's hoping him playing at JUCO will get him ready to compete!

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

Phil and Dreamius both academic/testing casualties.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

Ah yes thanks dagger! I knew we lost another recruit to tests... Hopefully both will end up coming back! I really liked what each brought and always nice to get the good Kansas kids.

KURiggins 9 years, 4 months ago

How nice. The trolls on this site have already decided these QB's stink before they have even seen then play. Most of us have to see them play before judging players, Why are you here and not out coaching? ..oh that's right cause ya can't. For those who want to know, both of these guys look like they are going to be great, Seth Russell 6'4 195lbs with 4.6 speed, For fun I looked up Michael Vick on google, He is 6'0 215lbs and is the best dual threat QB in the NFL. Not sure of his 40 time but tall QB's with speed, that is how you win, Smell like the championship teams of Nebraska where Coach Gill played and coached? Big, athletic QB's with 4.6 speed, Speed at RB. An OL to push people around. Playmakers, ...oh and I guess the trolls also missed that Oklahoma and Texas A&M showed heavy interest, I mean its so easy to overlook there in the middle of the article, Why do they hide these things so much? Of course you have to believe that Oklahoma and Texas A&M are good teams first, Crazy talk. Good thing Coach Gill is the actual coach,

mrfootball 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys the film you are looking at on Bilal Marshal is his 9th and 10th grade film. Rivals has the wrong link... The link below is the Junior film and a lot of your concerns will be forgotten after seeing it...what your are seeing is a 14 yr old kid on film..

Here is the Junior film

mrfootball 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys the film you are looking at on Bilal Marshal is his 9th and 10th grade film. Rivals has the wrong link... The link below is the Junior film and a lot of your concerns will be forgotten after seeing it...wht your are seeing in is a 14 yr old kid on film..

Here is the Junior film

mrfootball 9 years, 4 months ago

Jhawk

Russell is a good solid quarterback but they are a lot of him out there. For him to not have any real good offers outside of Wake tells me that he had something that coaches did not like. Marshal had some real good d1 offers and a lot of them. The Bilal Marshals of the world is where college football is going. Texas, The Ducks, Auburn and Florida all won with Marshal type kids. Good solid passers but game breakers with the ball in their hands. Russel is a typical big 10 qb, marshal has the it factor with we need.

My guess is Russel will compete at QB then move to TE or LB ...Marshal will redshirt a year and come back 6'4 200 lbs and will be Gills guy. Honestly dont be suprised if Russel decides to go elsewhere. He will get some attention this year and might end up with a better option then going to Kansas to compete with Marshal and Brock

mrfootball 9 years, 4 months ago

Jhawk

We are not talking NFL we are talking college football. And college football is going away from the pocket QB. They are looking for a more athletic kid that can do both. It is a extra weapon on the field when you have a dual threat QB. I would agree that Russell is more polished but Marshal has much more upside. Bottom line is two good QB and it is a win win for the Kansas program.

kufanman88 9 years, 4 months ago

It is sad to see how low our expectations are. Gill will be gone at the end of the year when he walks away with 1-2 wins total. We never should have hired him when we had a chance to get Tubberville. Never. We would have paid the same money for more talent.

KURiggins 9 years, 4 months ago

Again, good call. I mean I am sure you could coach the team so much better. Remind me, what team did Gill inheret? One with a Fr. QB. No WR that scared anyone. A lousy OL. All thanks to Mr. Mangino. Who never let backups play, even when were ahead. Jordan Webb had never seen the field before or taken hits. Lets see you go on the first day of your job and rule. Plus as you may recall ....I mean if you follow football, he inhereted a team that was dealing with the shadow of Mark Mangino and his firing. And he got to start recruiting mid-way, all other teams had a jump on him. And he still did a great job of recruiting. And D1 football and the NFL have at least one thing in commong. It takes time. No matter how talented you are. As for Tubberville. He did so well at his last job that is why he is not there anymore. I will take my chances with Gill. Got OL first, then all the speed he promised. And he is exactly right. The game is won with speed. Period! And we are adding a decent OL, everyone is back healthy and Gill is delivering the speed, game-chaning players. Dyansties take time. Gill has a FB, an OL to push people around. We do NOT have to rely on just the spread offense anymore. We can run the ball, use up clock. Which again ...if you follow football. Help make the game faster ..limits your opponents touches and drains a defenses spirits. A lot like...seems like ...a lot like ...the Nebraska team he played for. Move to Texas and enjoy Tuberville

kufanman88 9 years, 3 months ago

Tubberville went 52-30 in 10 seasons at Auburn and won a SEC conference title. In comparison with Gill...well I think that speaks for itself. Lets not forget that Tubberville did it in one of the top three football conferences in college football, while Gill did it in a sub-par conference. Gill will be fired at the end of the season and you will wish that we took Tubberville when we had the chance. Gill has done nothing to demonstrate he can compete in the Big 12, and this season will only validate that incompetency at both coaching and recruiting. He is a great person and a role model, but he wont be successful as a KU coach.