Monday, July 25, 2011

KU’s Brock Berglund pleads not guilty to assault charge

Valor Christian quarterback Brock Berglund, right, scrambles away from Steamboat defenders in this 2009 photo from the Class 3A state championship football game in Aurora, Colo. Berglund signed to play football at Kansas University on Jan. 4, 2011.

At a pre-trial hearing Monday morning in Castle Rock, Colo., Kansas University freshman Brock Berglund pled not guilty to misdemeanor assault charges stemming from an April 9 incident in which Berglund was alleged to have thrown a punch at another male.

The news was released via written statement from Berglund's lawyer, Kevin McGreevy, early Monday afternoon. In it, McGreevy continued to emphasize that Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205-pounds of Highlands Ranch, Colo., "adamantly denies that he committed this misdemeanor assault."

Berglund initially enrolled in classes in anticipation of participating in spring football, but decided to go home and take classes online. He did not take part in spring football drills. He has spent most of the summer away from Lawrence. Monday's statement said that the three-star, dual-threat QB would report to preseason camp with the rest of the Jayhawks on Aug. 3.

In addition, McGreevy's statement said Berglund would stand trial Dec. 13-14 of this year. The Jayhawks' final regular season game of the year is set for Nov. 26 against Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

LHS1980 3 years, 5 months ago

Lynyrd Skynyrd once wrote a song that said.. "I'm a man that cares, and this might be all for you". Brock should have given him 3 steps!

jayhawkjed 3 years, 5 months ago

I just want to see apherse's avatar of BB's girlfriend...

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

"The only way Berglund would miss time away from the team because of the trial would be if the Jayhawks are bowl eligible." Laughing Out Loud!!!

Mike Kendall 3 years, 5 months ago

Geek---yep, I was thinking the same thing you were thinking. Anything is possible, though. A lot of folks thought Apollo 13 wasn't going to make it back to Earth. You never know.

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

Still lol, but true! No one thought 2007 would play out like it did. Regardless, I honestly don't see him playing for KU this year. It all smells like a Micah Downs to me.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Hope he is able to red-shirt and stay out the bright lights between the lines this season.

John Randall 3 years, 5 months ago

More likely the "victim" is acting at the direction of one or more Buffalo fans who are pi$$ed BB de-committed when Hawkins was fired. Filing a complaint more than two months after the fact seems more than a little out of the ordinary . . .

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 5 months ago

This case will be settled before it ever comes to court.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

All I know is my man (remember he is now my fjoat) Brock must of messed dude up!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 5 months ago

sounds like he'll be here in a week...and when he actually takes the field on Sept. 3, then i expect TK to issue an apology to the kid.

i'm glad he actually pled not guilty....not any of this diversion stuff. Just flat out, "i didn't do it." i tell you one thing, if he plays football with same sort of moxie that we've seen, either allegedly through misguided sports columns, or through this court case, we'll have a real treat on our hands...especially with his athleticsm.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

He said "I didn't do it" because his expensive lawyers found a way out of a mess, and told him to say it. But I still like the punch.

Marc Frey 3 years, 5 months ago

TK said the BB would not suit up for a KU game. We will see come Sept 3.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 5 months ago

I read that as ever! Not just this season. I think Keegan is dead wrong... Again..

d_prowess 3 years, 5 months ago

"Because of his commitments to the charge filed against him, Berglund has spent most of the summer away from Lawrence."

Can someone explain what those commitments might have been? Was this issue big enough that he was meeting with lawyers on a weekly basis? I am sure this situation weighs on him, but it is not like he is being prepped by his lawyers for a murder trial. This definitely sucks for the kid and probably wishes it didn't happen, but it seems it is just another thing that he can point to as to why he wasn't here.

Steve Quatrocky 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe an anger management class, banking up community service hours in advance, getting dental work done, who knows? Its Brocks business, not ours. He wasnt here to compete for the job and consequently wont have a chance at being the starter. Case closed, at least for our purposes.

Maybe they are thinking about redshirting him given the progress they've seen in the others who already have some game experience? That would be a positive wouldnt it?

Keegans article started it and now all the drama over the assault charge is just evidence that its summer, nothing basketball to report, and the Royals are the Royals, so have to find something to write about even if they have to manufacture the story.

Lance Cheney 3 years, 5 months ago

I think before we go praising him for his toughness, we need to find out how big this other guy was. Maybe he was only 5'8" and 160 lbs. In that case, BB isn't so tough anymore, punching out a half-pint!

newjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

It is very rare that someone gets this much attention for something so trivial. He either knocked the hell out someone much smaller , or this isn't BBs' first rodeo! "If" he has a "reputation" for this type of behavior , then they may be trying to get a message through his head. However , he plead "not guilty" , so i believe that this ordeal is about to be over.. by midDecember , cooler heads will have prevailed and the other kid may see things in different perspective.

Steve Quatrocky 3 years, 5 months ago

I think Tyshawn might disagree with you, Mario too. Oops, add TRob to the list too. At this level, nothing is trivial anymore. Everybody is watching and waiting for you to mess up. Hopefully this is a lesson learned and it will make him smarter in teh long run. I cant criticize him for allegedly protecting his girlfriend, but it doesnt mean there wont be a price to be paid in the media. Especially after Keegan's hatchet job.

Linejudgemick 3 years, 5 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience's greatest nightmare... Berglund starts practice, finds his way on the field. The offensive line gells, the running backs find holes and suddenly the passing game takes off. Toben is terrorizing the league, the linebackers show up and the rest of the defense does the job behind them. Suddenly the Hawks are bowl eligible and the charges are dropped, so Berglund doesn't have to miss practice or the bowl game... Yeah, I know and no I didn't drink that much cool aid, but my best dream ever sure would make some on here choke...

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 5 months ago

If he was defending his girlfriend from a punk, Berglund did what any decent guy would do for his girlfriend. When I was in high school there were a couple of times when a couple of guys got in my face. One threw a punch I didn't see coming into my guts, and I laid him out with the cafeteria tray. One, he was suspended, and two, he never did it again. The other time was this kid that was talking some crap, which really didn't bother me until he started to bump me and telling me some things about my mother. I threw him against the wall and then lifted him off his feet. Again, I wasn't suspended, but he was. There are legitimate cases of self defense.

If he defended his girlfriend, the prosecutor and the cop that did the investigation are incompetent.

Kirk 3 years, 4 months ago

It's just as likely that BB was freaking out about another guy getting busy with his lady, who liked it more.

Anyhow, I'm willing to bet that how most guys behave when someone verbally disrespects them (or their girlfriend) depends a LOT on how much of a badass the other guy is.

Everyone's just writing fiction at this point.