Sunday, July 24, 2011

Recruit J-Mychal Reese’s dad not Aggie yet

J-Mychal Reese, a 6-foot-1, 170-pound point guard, is ranked No. 59 in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.com

College basketball recruiting notebook …

John Reese, the father of blue-chip senior point guard prospect J-Mychal Reese, told brazossports.com on Wednesday he was not leaving his head-coaching position at Bryan (Texas) High for an assistant-coaching post at Texas A&M.

The Houston Chronicle reported on July 17 that Reese later this summer would join Billy Kennedy’s Texas A&M staff. That move would have made the Aggies the favorite to land J-Mychal, a 6-foot-1, 170-pounder ranked No. 59 in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.com.

J-Mychal, who averaged 28.3 points, 6.1 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.5 steals per game for his dad’s team last season, is considering Kansas University, Texas A&M, Baylor, Memphis, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Louisville and others.

Back in May, J-Mychal told Rivals.com that KU currently topped his list.

“I will have to go on some visits first,” Reese said. “I need to see some schools and find out where I fit the best. I want to be comfortable with my decision and make the best decision possible.”

Of course, it’s still possible his dad could take a college job after J-Mychal’s senior season and try to talk his son into joining him. It’s been reported that Baylor and Texas Tech also had interest in hiring John Reese.

“(A college position) is definitely in the realm of possibility,” John Reese told brazossports.com. “I think that’s where all this started anyway, that I have a desire and will to get to the next level and coach, take on a new challenge, a new chapter in my career, in my life. Timing is the most important thing there, though. Right now after visiting with my family and sitting back and looking at everything we're looking forward to this 2011-2012 year with the team we have coming back,” added John, 44, who has compiled a 246-83 record in 10 years at Bryan High.

Big man update

Kaleb Tarczewski, a 7-foot senior-to-be from St. Mark High in Southborough, Mass., scored 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds in the New England Playaz matchup against Connecticut Basketball Club at the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas. No. 2-ranked Andre Drummond scored 21 points for Connecticut.

Tarczewski, who has been off-limits to media during the summer AAU season, is expected to choose between KU, Arizona and North Carolina sometime in August.

“You love him (Tarczewski) because he can push people out of the lane, plays physical and is a back-to-the-basket guy all the way,” an unnamed major-college assistant coach told Rivals.com. “The nice thing about recruiting a kid like that is that you don’t cross your fingers behind your back and tell him that he can play on the wing. He's not leaving the paint.”

Graham to visit

Rising senior-to-be Dillon Graham, a 6-4 shooting guard from First Academy in Orlando, Fla., tells Rivals.com he will visit KU in August. The unranked player now is hearing from hordes of high-major schools after exploding on the AAU circuit for the Florida Rams.

More on Shabazz

No. 1-ranked Shabazz Muhammad scored 18 points in Dream Vision’s 80-65 pool-play victory over Indiana Elite at the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas. The 6-6 combo guard — who has a list of KU, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNLV, Texas A&M, Memphis and Texas — told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that if he had to set five campus visits today, they’d be awarded to Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Texas A&M and UNLV.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh gawd! Let's hope the football team is playing an away game when Graham visits

minipman 3 years, 3 months ago

he's visting in august.. first football game isnt until september.. know ur facts before you post..

mk9992 3 years, 3 months ago

your* Learn how to spell before you post.

BoneDocJayHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually "you're" is the contraction of "you are" which is not appropriate for the above comment. "Your" is correct but ur is also acceptable in todays email/text world. But since we all knew what mini meant why are we debating grammer/spelling?

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, and using "ur" is annoying as hell. Grown-ups spell it out, "moron".

martyks 3 years, 2 months ago

dam (sick) the spelling and gramma police our out agin.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Calm down turbos. Just a little rim shot to get things started today.

But if you really wanted to go there, I'm pretty sure a decent football team that put butts in the stands creating a fun atmosphere wouldn't hurt basketball recruiting.

Theutus 3 years, 3 months ago

A ton of college athletes make their decisions based on the "experience" of their visit... If you go to a school and end up at a football game where the crowd is going nuts, and the fans are rabid... It's a great experience and one that the player can assume will be had on the basketball court.

If it's lame, nobody really cares... The team gets whooped... Well, I'm sure you can put two and two together...

I can't stand this aphers character, but in this case, I suppose there is some truth in his statement.

stevemize 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, it's a wellknown fact that KU football had been the basis for recruiting great BB talent decade after decade. Especially during the tenures of Coach Val, Terry Allen, etc. And Lord knows, kids choose Duke because of their mighty football program. Face it, ahper...ence is your basic, crap-stirring, attenstion-seeking imbecile.

onlylookin2score 3 years, 3 months ago

ha ha.. Dats a good one coach.... but for real, I read a post of yours thats claimed that BB is all that matters here. Man, I wish I could agree. Revenue wise, FB is just as important if not more than BB. But I think I understand you mean it on a sentimental level.

But yeah, lets pray for a Girls Gone Wild tour bus or an Away game

TwistedFish31 3 years, 3 months ago

Your life must really suck ahpheraejoijnasogih. Wake up, post on a team website that you hate, giggle like a little girl, then chase your mom around the trailerpark. Is this the only thing that keeps you from jumping?

Carter Patterson 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh gawd, let's hope that aholeperse stops posting garbage everytime he gets online.

lee3022 3 years, 2 months ago

I am a not so judgmental person in life but here I simply have stopped reading or responding to his negative consistency.

phoggydrive 3 years, 3 months ago

"Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Texas A&M and UNLV". Take out hometown UNLV and one of these is not like the others. A&M??? A&M???

lee3022 3 years, 2 months ago

Only the day before he had KU third behind Duke and UK (CBSSports.com.) Maybe it depends on who he is talking with?

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

~Nickname for Shabazz now that he has removed KU from his Top Five: Shabotch.

~“The nice thing about recruiting a kid like that is that you don’t cross your fingers behind your back and tell him that he can play on the wing." --unnamed assistant coach

Dear NCAA, investigate this unnamed assistant coach for lying to players about where they will play. Or does the NCAA condone this sort of recruiting?

~Father J'John Reese is trying to put some distance between father/son and this TAM job story. Let's hope he does the right thing for his son and lets him come to KU. And if John Reese can recruit Texas, then bring him on the KU staff.

Robert Brock 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe Billy Clyde Gillespie has a position available for John Reese. KU is full up.

jhox 3 years, 3 months ago

Coaches lie to these kids and their parents all the time. Remember Rick Pitino telling Pete Padgett that David would play the wing? Anyone who saw the kid play at KU could tell he didn't have the foot quickness to do that. He didn't have the foot speed to guard a 300 lb. center. How was he ever going to guard a college 3 position player, or get himself open against a much quicker player? As long as kids and their parents can't look objectively at the kid's skills, coaches are going to lie to them, and do whatever it takes to get the kid's name on the dotted line.

Padgett earned his one year KU scholarship with one shot, which sent the Antlers home crying, so it was good that we had him for a year. However, I believe Pitino did us a favor by taking him off our hands. He simply wasn't capable of defending the way KU players are expected to defend.

It happens in football too. How many college defensive backs were recruited to be quarterbacks, running backs and receivers?

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

It never hurts to call out an organization tasked with looking out for the values of the game and sport, as well as the TV revenues, to do their jobs. :-)

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 2 months ago

Where did you hear that jaybate? I googled and as of 22hrs ago, nothing had changed.

jhox 3 years, 3 months ago

It's probably best that we aren't in Shabazz's top 5. When the NBA lock out is over, it's likely they'll start taking players out of high school again. No point wasting our time kissing the kid's rear, only to see him sign with the Lakers.

Of course, maybe one reason he doesn't list KU is that he's been to Lawrence and seen the KU campus already. I wouldn't mind having him for a year, if things worked out for us, but if he's not serious about KU, it's better to find out now. We could lose other recruits at that position if they fear coming in and playing behind Shabazz, so if he's not interested in us, I hope he tells us now rather than later. Besides, we can't compete with what Slick Cal is probably willing to pay him (the Lakers may not be able to compete with that.)

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

If the lockout creates a situation where all, or most, of the OAD's head straight to the league, what will Slimeball Cal do when his whole incoming class bolts and he's left picking and chosing from unranked recruits just to field a team. That would be hilarious. Pick your own poison, I say.

I wish we could get Archie Goodwin. He's a non-stop, tenacious player. But, he'll probably end up at Arkansas (in state school).

In order, besides Peters who has already committed, I'd like to get: Ellis, Tarczewski, Goodwin, and either Reese or Jackson. I know, that would put KU over the limit. Some of these recruits, who have been offered and who have indicated KU as their favorite, may not want to wait too long or the scholarships may be gone. Sure could use some fire power in the 2012 recruiting class.

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Was going to add that in his preseason rankings Dukie V has Kansas at 15. That would put them atop the Big 12 (minus 2), since he ranks Baylor @ 16, Missery @ 19, Texas A&M @ 22, & Texas @ 25. I still think Iowa State is going to surprise a lot of people, what with all their transfers becoming eligible.

He also ranked Wichita State @ 31.

I think its time the Big 12 decided on a name change. Any suggestions? How about the Big Top Conference? That way they won't have to change it again, if they add some new schools.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

How about the Midwest Athletic Conference. Or we could just say Texas and the rest of us conference.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

I say J-mychal does the first ever tatoo announcement. Forget the hats, have espnu put him on stage with a tear away shirt on and when he announces the jayhawks he rips his shirt of exposing big j (on his deltoid would be fine, but if he was really dedicated he would put it on his neck).

dnvrhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Hell, he should just tatoo the damn bird on his forehead.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

As long as he doesn't do it himself in a mirror... backwards... ala Charles Manson.

gchawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe the operative word in the title of this article is "yet".

ku1otaku 3 years, 3 months ago

Did you notice the arrogant post by the Kentucky fan at the end of the article? UK fans make me sick...as if Calipari is the only person who knows how to evaluate talent.

lee3022 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, in fact I think I called him and other UK fans out in a later post there. But UK fans can't help who they are. They are prime in the idea that the coach who collects the most top 10 players will win. Hasn't happened yet because this little thing called chemistry keeps boiling over on the Bunsen burner.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I thought the NCAA was trying to eliminate the whole "package deal" thing. Hiring his dad would eliminate Texas A&M under that circumstance. Obviously this is not the case then.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

raster,

I feel I have been remiss in failing to issue you a PHOF for the above post. It is surely the most succinct and elegant post in internet history.

PHOF!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Oops, I apologize for browser's typo. I meant ralster, but it corrected my correct spelling without me catching it. This is the peril of the digital age. Sooner or later, DOD will fully automate the launch sequence with the ICBMs and do so using some of the subroutines of popular word processing software and we will all be killed very shortly by the software automatically changing the spelling of one word with out any one noticing.

I know this, because I recently downloaded OSX Lion. Trust me: we are all now a lot closer to the accidental global thermonuclear war scenario. :-)

ryanm1988 3 years, 3 months ago

It wouldn't suck if apheres stopped hating himself....

Chris Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah man you sound like someone off the big lebowski! Can you say John Goodman? Dang man. I can promise you I defend my hawks always! RCJHKU!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Dear Lebowski,

I can agree that not all KU fans are rocket scientists.

But if one is to rank some of our fans as morons, then what are we to make of the average Duke, UNC and UK fan?

Are they to be called one-celled organisms?

Or just vacuoles in one celled organisms?

Or just what is forced from those vacuoles?

:-)

lee3022 3 years, 2 months ago

Ah, what a difference a day (or two) makes. Since Shabazz listed KU in order at #3 just a day or two ago in Las Vegas for CBSSports.com I would not fret about this story. Perhaps he has seen enough (he was there early this summer) to not need a KU visit again.

I do shake my head that anyone ever would say a negative thing about a prospect on this board. Prospects do read what is written. Coach has a really hard job as it is to recruit the players he needs. Can we be part of the solution and not part of the problem?