Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thomas Robinson teaches LeBron James a lesson-*

*-’LeBron wasn’t playing full speed’

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson battles inside for a rebound with the Illinois defense during the first half on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Feature

Mario Chalmers to celebrate opening of shop for cancer patients at LMH

Former Kansas University basketball star Mario Chalmers will be in Lawrence next week to celebrate the opening of Mario’s Closet at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Kansas University basketball power forward Thomas Robinson reportedly held his own while guarding — and being guarded by — LeBron James in a pick-up game last week at the NBA phenom’s Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio.

“LeBron wasn’t playing full speed,” Robinson, KU’s 6-foot-10, 240-pound junior from Washington, D.C., said modestly in an interview Wednesday in Allen Fieldhouse. “I’m pretty sure he could turn it up another notch.”

Robinson, who worked as a counselor at the camp for high school standouts, conceded that James offered some encouraging words at the conclusion of the event.

“He said himself I was strong, so that was a compliment,” Robinson said of the 6-8, 250-pound Miami Heat veteran. “He was cool, way down-to-earth, even more than I thought. I really respect him.

“He’s tweeted me and told me to keep working. I told him I will. I told him to talk for me. I’m trying to make some noises here. He said he will, so I mean hopefully he will,” Robinson added of James singing his praises this upcoming season.

Robinson — his dunk highlighted the Amar’e Stoudemire camp in June in Chicago — also emerged as a standout at the James camp. ESPN announcer Fran Fraschilla, who attended the camp, said in one Twitter post: “UK’s Anthony Davis and Buckeyes’ Jared Sullinger are lotto picks right now (in 2012 NBA Draft) but you BETTER put KU’s Thomas Robinson in there also. A BEAST!!!”

In a personal tweet to Robinson, Fraschilla wrote: “Been bragging on you after that LeBron Camp performance! Keep working hard this summer and enjoy going home to DC!”

ESPN’s Jay Bilas, who also attended the camp, wrote: “Thomas Robinson was among the hardest working and most productive in the camp and has the chance for a really big year for Bill Self.”

“I didn’t see that,” Robinson said in response, “but I busted my butt there so ... I think I have a lot more to do. I have a lot to prove. It’s good to earn the respect of Jay Bilas and Fran Fraschilla, but there’s also a lot of people still doubting my game, so my work is not done.

“I haven’t done anything yet. I am three months from my first game at Kansas, which I’m working for. The summer is good to get my individual accolades up there and to get that attention toward here so people will support our season. I did that. Now it’s about getting ready for my season.”

Up next for Robinson is the adidas Nations Global Experience Aug. 5-8 in Los Angeles. Until then, he’ll continue working out with the Jayhawks while attending summer school.

He’s been impressed with the newcomers, a group that includes forwards Braeden Anderson, Kevin Young, Merv Lindsay and Jamari Traylor and guards Naadir Tharpe and Ben McLemore.

“All those guys are good — Kevin, Merv, Braeden and Jamari all go hard and are physical. They run the floor and are athletic,” Robinson said. “Naadir is one of the smartest players off the pick and roll I’ve seen in a long time. Ben McLemore ... mark my words, he will be great here. He will be a pro sooner or later. Jamari ... I want to say he’s similar to me. He’s high-energy. He’s trying to dunk every time. Merv’s a shooter, a 6-6 shooter, real smooth player. Kevin Young is high energy, I want to say a tweener. He has the potential to do more than (play) the 4 (power forward).”

Camp standouts: Robinson said he was impressed with Ohio State’s Sullinger and Kentucky’s Davis at the camp. Davis also spent some time guarding James in the pick-up game.

“Anthony is quick,” Robinson said. “Sullinger is one of the smartest basketball players I’ve been around. I give respect to the (Morris) twins being smart basketball players. Sullinger is a great player as far as thinking-wise, and he’s getting the 15-footer down. He’s a great passer too. He’s a player I respect at a high level.”

Mum’s the word: Robinson said he won’t be commenting this season about possibly heading to the NBA after his junior year at KU and won’t be talking about personal issues involving his family. That includes an upcoming court custody case in Maryland that will decide whether his sister, Jayla, will continue living with her dad, or the family of the stepbrother of Robinson’s late mom, Lisa.

“No, not at all,” Robinson said of discussing family issues. “I’ll be going home for a little while (before the start of first semester classes).

“I am not thinking about the NBA,” he noted. “I am worrying about winning the Big 12 championship and making our run in the tournament. The NBA is out of the question right now. I am still a junior. I have two more years left in school.”

ESPYs: VCU’s basketball team won an ESPY Award on Wednesday for “Best Upset” of the past year. VCU defeated KU in the Elite Eight en route to a surprise Final Four appearance. Other nominees: Blame beating Zenyatta at the Breeder’s Cup; Fabricio Werdum stopping Fedor Emelianenko in MMA; and the Seattle Seahawks beating the New Orleans Saints in the NFL wildcard game. Last year, Northern Iowa won “Best Upset” for its victory over KU in the second round of the NCAAs.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

Not a bad thing at all... Beat the jayhawks, win an espy.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah. Geez, glad we could help out.......

rcakmon 8 years, 4 months ago

Must be tough to base your NCAA tourney happiness on how another team does each year. So glad I don't ever have to be that fan. Rock Chalk!

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 4 months ago

This is completely off topic and didn't know where else to post it. Is anyone else concerned about this new 10 team Big 12. Rumors are that A&M is so upset about the new Longhorn network that they are working on moving to the SEC. We've been left out to dry and got lucky the conference was saved but what's going to happen when schools start to flee again. Because it WILL happen. Sooner than later I believe. Do we have an administration and an AD that sees this and is working with the Big 10 or PAC 12? We'd look stupid if this happened again and had no place to go. I know our basketball program is appealing but football is where the money is. I believe Gill's the guy but can he get this program turned around in time to make KU appealing to other conferences.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Yes i was having dinner with a mizzou fan (or is it kstate?) like yourself.. And all he kept bringing up was our elite eight loss to vcu. I don't even remember if mizzou made the tourney or not. And I could care less. It always amazes me how closely everyone ( even haters) follows KU basketball. But I guess we are the standard to which you judge yourself.... "Going into the season we were picked 4th or 5th in the big 12, so to say we had an epic fail of a season it just ridiculous!

100 8 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of Felines..... This is completely off topic also, but there is a Kentucky fan at a mental hospital in the middle of a desert who is calling for an outside firm to investigate Calipari's recruiting practices.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 4 months ago

My sister works for VCU... Enough already!

onlylookin2score 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, all I can say is that our percieved bad luck persisted through 2 superior coaches (williams and self) but we won what I consider the greatest College Basketball championship of all time: 4 number 1 seeds... we come into the final 4 as the lowest #1 and end up beating l last years NBA MVP's team. Not any loss to some unknown can take that away from us Jayhawks.. So I say to hell with it... I hope we have another 30 win season.

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

@onlylookin - even if we didn't win the Memphis game, we won.

@ahperse - Lets just hope it doesn't last three happen in a row.

@TRob - "You Go Girl!"

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

@ahperse - Lets just hope it doesn't last three happen in a row.

What the hell made you think that it made sense to throw the word happen in there...

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

WOW... umm... No comment?

let's try this again, shall we?

@ahperse - Let's just hope it doesnt happen three years in a row.

PS- My bad jeeves, I forgot that everyone on this site is a FOCKING critic.

onlylookin2score 8 years, 4 months ago

dude... yer f'd up. Nothing that you said makes any sense.... just wanted to make that completley official.

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

Dude, if it doesn't makes sense to you, then you are a complete "official" idiot. Memphis forfeited all of their games that season, so even if we didn't win the game, we would have won.

The second comment was obviously a mistake, and it's fixed now.

And... well I'm not even going to explain the rest. TRob is a beast, and that's all that matters.

Patrickulating 8 years, 4 months ago

Memphis' 2008 wins were vacated. The games were not forfeited. None of the teams they beat in the tournament are credited with wins.

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

Ok, so tell me, if we had lost that game we wouldn't have been credited with the Championship trophy?

angusmcpherr 8 years, 4 months ago

Nope. The championship would have officially been vacated.

John Randall 8 years, 4 months ago

RCCH – when you figure out the difference between forfeit and vacate, you'll understand that only the two teams who beat Memphis in the Calliope's last year have wins on the record – UM's official record for the '07-08 season was 0-2. The other thirty-eight games don't show as losses for anyone, but no one has wins, either. Similar to UMass, but I think only 4 NCAA tourney wins were vacated that time – not the whole season.

Kind of reduces the W-L % for the old steam whistler, ya know?

onlylookin2score 8 years, 4 months ago

Your first comment is completley false. Officially.

Your second comment, even fixed....it's like, who cares.

Your third comment is just dumber than the first two... you live in or are from california and the wittiest thing you can come up with is some Moesha crap from like '91?

Homie don't play dat... lol

WilburNether 8 years, 4 months ago

"Not any loss to some unknown can take that away from us Jayhawks."

Of course it can't. Duh. What does that have to do with being a part of two ESPYs in a row for "Best Upset?" (Or one could also take the other perspective, and call it "Worst Choke.")

Classic non sequitur.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

If Thomas can play among James and Sullinger he will be able to manhandle pretty much anyone next year. I think we have the potential to have a 32 win season at least and I wouln't be shocked if we pulled of an upset or two and won the whole tourney.

We are gonna need Thomas to be great in this new big 12. Because if we beat a tough team (in the b12 south) once, it is over, but now we play everyone twice... so if TRob does well agains a good forward and wins the game... that forward will be back the next time doing very well and playing very fiercly, so we will need him down low or else Baylors Perry Jones and TXAandM's Roberson will eat our back court alive.

I doubt that players like Anderson and Traylor can make a huge difference if Thomas isn't fireing like a bazooka on all games. They are Freshmen, they are short (for an ncaa pf), and they are not exactly brawny enough to make up with their lack of height against other guys. We are gonna need TRob and if he isn't the monster he is supposed to be other teams are gonna cash in on that.

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey Jeeves, since you're so grammatically correct and all, I just thought you would like to know that you didn't spell 'against' correctly. Also, "fireing" should be firing.

You're welcome!

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

If your looking for more errors to correct me on "big 12" should be capitalized, I didn't indent my paragraphs, "Baylors" should have an apostaphe(i think I spelled that wrong ) in it, "south" should be capitalized, "ncaa" should be all caps, and "gonna" isn't a real word.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Children - play nice! Basketball season will be here soon.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

True, but thats not a grammatical error.

r1ck_jayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

You also spelled wouldn't as "wouln't" in the first paragraph... but I'm just sayin'! Haha

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 4 months ago

It's typical that no one on these boards has any faith in Jeff Withey. It's like he has been completely forgotten about as any sort of contribution.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 4 months ago

I am excited to see Naadir Tharpe and this pick and roll that i have heard about more than several times. Sounds like he is thee master of pick and roll, which to me sounds like plenty of ally-oops coming T-rob and Elijahs way!!!

actorman 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm not worried about whether or not he'll be a "monster." We all know how tough and hardworking he is. I think the biggest concern with TRob is whether he'll get in foul trouble. We just won't have the depth that we've had in the past, and I think he'll be the player we can least afford to lose.

Hank Cross 8 years, 4 months ago

Since LeBron wasn't playing at full speed, I guess that means TRob would've dominated him had they been playing in the NBA Finals.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

And boom goes the dynamite.

Well done.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 4 months ago

T-Rob is gonna DOMINATE !!!

Wish we had a couple more experienced bigs that could compliment him...or distract the double team away from him this season.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I guess that we could use Jeff, he is tall and with that he can occupy a defender. And if he is left unguarded he has a nice soft j that he can knock down with out having to drive and pick up a defender.

miajhwk 8 years, 4 months ago

plays hard, says all the right things, handles adversity with aplomb.

rcjh, tr.

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe it was the 4th quarter when TROB was playing James. TROB is a beast and cant wait for this season with the guards and bigs we have coming back (Im optimistic there is a 7 footer who added 20lbs of muscle thats ready to play)

PS doesnt LBJ know "Akron hates you"? How bout them mavs? :)

jayhwkr77 8 years, 4 months ago

i think it's safe to say that the CAVS have officially become the Missouri of the NBA. those are the only two teams i know of that never win anything so the highest feeling you get to experience as a fan is watching your "rival" lose.

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 4 months ago

The Cavs are my adopted NBA team and if you havent read the letter by Owner Dan Gilbert about how he was treated here you should. I was torn witht he finals; Mario and Z i wanted to get rings....but then you have three guys that call a meeting to form a superteam? I would hate any team that does this crap (like the yankees). And how can you like a guy that has a show about where he is going to play? And please never compare Cavs to Missery.......Thats just mean

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

People are still talking about LeBron's 1-hour Selection Special? Jeez, give him a break. Who cares what he does? Just because your panties are in a knot that he left doesn't mean you have to complain about something that is considered to be a charitable donation. He raised hundreds of thousands if not millions for the Boys and Girls club that day. IN 1 HOUR!!

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 4 months ago

Raising $ + the way he did it -

People can leave and still be classy about it

John Randall 8 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, Mo-Cle comparison is "mean", but it is fair since it is mean both ways.

rwhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

jayhwkr77, Come on, be fair. At least Missouri was able to come up with a winning season last year.

cleveland, "PS doesnt LBJ know "Akron hates you"? How bout them mavs? :)" Jayhawk fan + Discussion of class -

But, then again, as one who hated ol' Roy for several seasons after he left, I guess it is a bit hypocritical for me to judge.

jayhwkr77 8 years, 4 months ago

very good point about Roy leaving i never really thought about it that way. i too was incredibly bitter for a long time about that but now try to just be appreciative of the time that he spent here. it makes me mad when to this day when i see KU still pissed off at Roy. at some point you have to realize that's just where he wanted to be and there's nothing wrong with that.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm over it now and would probably kiss ol' Roy on the lips if I saw him, for what he did at/for KU. It's been said a million times, but I think a lot of fans were not mad THAT he left, but HOW he left. If he had gone the first time, we probably all would have wished him well. After he said he would be a Jayhawk for as long as we would have him - that made it a little tougher on some of us. After having typed this, I feel pretty stupid because - wow - it's been 8 years and I'm still talking about Roy.

Lindsey Buscher 8 years, 4 months ago

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Get your resume to LJW asap! YOU have huge potential.

Cameron Schienebeck 8 years, 4 months ago

Well if LeBron wasn't playing at full speed then T-Rob got to face the same LeBron that played in the finals.

Lindsey Buscher 8 years, 4 months ago

I want to see the following statement after the Mum's the Word section at the end of the article:

"This paragraph was removed by the site staff for violation of good journalism because it had absolutely nothing to do with the subject."

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Regarding TRob:

Going 100% all the time, every time - No Concern Wiping the Boards - No Concern Working hard to improve his offense and assists - No Concern Working hard to improve his foul shooting - No Concern Being a Beast and a Leader - No Concern Staying out of foul trouble - Big Concern

Thomas, with all the beastly talent in the world, will do us no good by being on the bench with foul trouble. I am hoping the Dan the Man will spend loads of time on TRob's footwork to maximize his defensive talents while minimizing foul situations.

Also, memo to Coach Self: Maybe consider use of the zone a little more to protect our front court? And please dump that center coming out to guard or double team 20'-0" from the basket.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Staying out of foul trouble... of course.

But I'd also like to see him getting his defenders into foul trouble. His first step is so quick he should be able to either get to the rim or make somebody foul him, almost every time he gets it within 15 feet.

And with that new circle under the net, it's going to be even harder to bring a second defender at the last moment. So after he burns his guy a few times, he should be seeing a lot of double teams on the post. And what do we do when they double team us? We find the open man.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Oakville - I agree with your "concerns" list, but I personally am very concerned about the foul shooting!! Almost to the point of having an anxiety attack. Thomas will more than likely spend a LOT of time at the free throw line this season and it could be a big stumbling block for us. I see what you're saying - I have NO concern that he will work hard at it, I just hope he is able to make some big strides.

jayhwkr77 8 years, 4 months ago

since the end of last year, i have been saying that T-Rob has a chance to be a TOP FIVE player in college basketball next year. he has better tools than just about anyone in the country.

unfortunately, i think our success will ultimately hinge a lot on the the play of...jeff withey. if he can put on some weight and actually bang a little in the post, i think we CAN (not necissarilly will) be one of the best teams in the country next year. at this point i really just don't see anyone getting past kentucky come tournament time i think this is finally calipari's year to break through.

however, very much looking forward to thomas robinson running the paint in the big 10/12 next year.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

Should be another great year. We'll talk NC later, but talent & staff wise, we're in the mix. Several of the mid majors won't even make the show this year, and that's not meant being spiteful either. Just the facts, ma'm. IMO

cobweb 8 years, 4 months ago

Too bad the biology department can't clone this guy.

FoCoCoHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I have it on good authority that there are several cryogenic genetic copies of Jabbar at UCLA Med...iced Kareem clones.

Craig Lang 8 years, 4 months ago

Why does the ESPY even ask for a vote on "Best Upset"? From now on, every year when KU loses in the tournament, ESPN should just present the award after the game to the team that beat KU.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 4 months ago

KU will never win an espy for best upset.

John Randall 8 years, 4 months ago

KU already did win the 'best upset' award, on Apr 4, 2008. Just no one got the word to DickieV.

That was also the night ol' RoyBoy was absolved from blame for going home in 2003, at least for 90% of KU fans.

Kelly Hanrahan 8 years, 4 months ago

FYI - the KU-UNC game was played April 5, 2008 with the championship game being played April 7, 2008.

rwhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

There needs to be a Budweiser commercial about these posters...

"Today we salute you Mr. internet message board correction guy..."

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

You'd have to hand out multiple awards each day!

Debbie Mangen 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm curious. Could someone tell me who pays for the players to go to these big camps they go to over the summer months? Are the players responsible to pay the entry fees or does the university atheletics dept. pay?

Larry Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

I believe they work as counselors at these camps, so the camps pick up the expenses.

David Robinett 8 years, 4 months ago

Hope we don't three-peat at the ESPYs this year...

thedudelovesKU 8 years, 4 months ago

I haven't read any of the above comments about VCU winning best upset, but I would just like to say that I would love to have one game a year where we go on the road to a high-quality mid-major that has a high three-point shooting percentage. This would prepare us for the Northern Iowa's and VCU's. I understand that it doesn't make sense financially, but I'm merely speaking as a fan.

Dan Harris 8 years, 4 months ago

Pretty tough to figure out who that's going to be 2 to 3 years from now. I mean think about it, had you ever heard of VCU or N Iowa before ?

ku1otaku 8 years, 4 months ago

Why? The NCAA tournament is not about the home court advantage. Its about beating someone on a neutral site. Now if we want to schedule some of those schools at a neutral site then I see your point. Ultimately, it wouldn't benefit us going to Northern Iowa or Missouri State and playing.

addlime 8 years, 4 months ago

Most importantly, I'm excited and proud that Trob is getting the same sort of preseason hype that the twins (mostly Marcus) got last year. It bodes really well for this season and for his b-ball future.

Question for all: Do you think that KU's frequent failure to play to their tournament ranking is due to an underachievement on the teams' part (in general, of course), or a tendency for them to be slightly over ranked because of who they are and the fact that they appear to over achieve in the conference season? Or is it just simply the nature of the NCAA tournament?

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

I would venture to guess that it is a combination of time management between the sweet sixteen and elite eight games. It seemed as if there were too many interviews given the last time around. Also, the level of scouting the opponent could be another factor and thus less desireable game plan and preparation.

Funhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Regarding addlime's question, my humble answer is its the Marty Schottenheimer Syndrome. The Chiefs would have one of the best regular season records, but always flame out in the NFL playoffs. At least one Chiefs player let the cat out of the bag. Chiefs' coach was incredibly uptight the days leading up to the playoff loss. Coach would be all serious and huffing and puffing in the hallways. Players sensed their coach's stress and that's why the players also became uptight before the playoff game. Coach's stress led to the loss. Same thing happened right before the UNI loss. UNI players' pre-game locker room was filled with loud music and players' singing goofy before the game. At the same pre-game moment right before the UNI game, Jayhawks' locker room was quiet and somber. Its the Schottenheimer Syndrome!

rwhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

So what happened in '08? Schotty retire and come back?

Steve Kubler 8 years, 4 months ago

No stress in 08, they were not expected to be there much less win. Being the underdog takes away a lot of pressure and adds a great deal of motivation.

rwhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe its a conspiracy.

My sarcasm is due to the fact that I think its the nature of the tournament and college basketball. If you do well in the regular season you increase your chances of being a big upset in the tournament. Best way to avoid being the big upset is to be mediocre and barely squeeze into the tournament. Hats off to Self for putting his teams in this position.

ku1otaku 8 years, 4 months ago

I guess everyone tends to forget that we're not the only school that flames out in the tournament. Have you ever looked at Duke's NCAA track record? The difference is they've won some titles a lot more recently than KU. We, unfortunately, have a 20 year gap between titles.

John Randall 8 years, 4 months ago

cshjh makes points I can only agree with, but I think an equally important factor is confidence - coach Bill has been burned so often it is hard for him to keep from over-coaching to the point of squelching the team chemistry he spent all season building. He's working on that, and I think his sideline demeanor improves over time – but struggling to keep perspective when lesser teams bring on their best performance of the year can still put him into near panic mode.

The championship year hinged on that last second missed shot in the Regional Final even more than either game in the Final Four. It was the one time he got a break when it mattered.

FoCoCoHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

This is a sticky question, one that I expect will be pasted elsewhere as well, but one that embodies the principles to which I adhere, and one to which the proper answer could potentially cement our title hopes...WHO IS OUR GLUE GUY NEXT YEAR?

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Most likely Travis will be our main glue guy. Tyshawn and Elija also have chances at it, but Tyshawn is inconsistant and EJ isn't spectacular (although he can be pretty darn good) at defense.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

Nice to see defense mentioned, Jeeves.

I had mentioned this a few weeks ago .. it's gone a bit under the radar .. but the 2011-12 Jayhawks may end up being the best defensive team we have had in quite awhile. EJ was a stud defensively and now gets it. TT can be an excellent defender when he bears down. Releford was the team's best defender heading into last season, according to Self; and he showed his stuff when he was in there. Can match up with the bigger 3 man. TRob can be a stopper and has the potential to be a beast on the defensive end; getting under control will be the key. And Withey will be a defense first guy who can swat.

Now, what we get from the rest of the team defensively is the question. But our presumed starting 5 looks pretty darn good on the defensive end.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I think our starters can be good at offense and defemse: Taylor- can be good at both and bad @ both Johnson- solid at both Travis- pretty good offense, great defense Anderson- ok offense, I havn't seen much of his defense Robimson- great offense, pretty good defense

bench Withey- low scoring but efficient offense, good defense Tharpe- solid on both ends of the floor Traylor- I havnt seen much of him Merv- good shooter, pretty good defense Young- pretty good at both BenMcL- good offense, slightly above average defense

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Braedon "Big Rock" Andersen

Jamari "Lane Pain" Traylor

Jordan "Speak Softly But Carry a 30/30 with a Weatherby Scope" Juenemann

Justin "Sneakin' Up and Lockin' Down" Wesley

Niko "Coach in Training Lookin' for a Crack in the Door" Roberts

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

Thomas has clearly benefited by playing against Morrisx2 for two years. Now with the plethora of new bigs on campus another benefit of having Thomas back is that they will also have to go against him in practice. With Danny Manning and Bill Self as coaches and this great lab on the practice floor my suspicion is KU will actually improve over last year.

Coach said it will look completely different and that, to me, suggests a running team with interchangeable parts he can substitute freely (of course we all know he plays only 8 or 9 when the conference starts) but either a couple of the new bigs distinguish themselves and get good playing time or several or more get time in every game. An athletic team that can shoot rebound and get after it on defense might indeed be as good or better than last year (again - coach Self).