Wednesday, July 13, 2011

KU men’s basketball reports early-season tourneys through 2014

Coach Bill Self, far left, and players on the Kansas University bench get up in anticipation as the Jayhawks try to break 100 points against UMKC. The Jayhawks just missed, settling for a 99-52 victory Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former KU basketball player Wayne Simien discusses camp, working with kids

Former Jayhawk great Wayne Simien held his basketball camp in Lawrence on Tuesday, July 12, 2011. He gave up his NBA career to focus on God and working with young people.

photo

Former Kansas University forward Wayne Simien makes his way through a basketball drill at his Called to Greatness camp last summer.

Kansas University’s men’s basketball team, which will compete in the 2011 Maui Invitational, has scheduled appearances in early-season tournaments through 2014.

In 2012, KU is slated to play in the 76 Classic, an eight-team event set for Thursday, Friday and Sunday of Thanksgiving week at the Convention Center in Anaheim, Calif., which is located adjacent to Disneyland.

In 2013, KU is slated to play in the eight-team Battle 4 Atlantis tournament during Thanksgiving week in a 4,000-seat arena in the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas.

In 2014, KU will compete in the College Basketball Experience tourney in Kansas City, Mo. The Jayhawks then would be tentatively scheduled to return to the Maui Invitational in 2015.

The 2011 Maui Invitational pairings are expected to be released soon, ESPN’s Andy Katz reported Tuesday. Katz envisions KU playing Chaminade and UCLA meeting Memphis in one side of the bracket of the Nov. 21-23 event; Duke playing Tennessee and Georgetown playing Michigan on the other side.

Katz indicates Duke has a policy of not playing non Div. I teams in tournaments. Chaminade is in NCAA Div. II. Also, Memphis and Tennessee do not wish to play because the schools meet in the regular season.

“No one would deny that a possible Duke-Kansas final helps the overall health of the tournament and would rate well,” Katz wrote Tuesday. “But KU would have to possibly get by Conference USA-favorite Memphis and that’s with the assumption that Duke can beat Michigan if the two were to meet in the semifinals. The Blue Devils defeated the Wolverines by just two in last season’s NCAA tournament.”

KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating said KU had not discussed possible matchups with Maui Invitational officials.

“It’s up to them,” Keating said.

The Jayhawks also are eligible to take part in a foreign tour prior to the 2012-13 season. If KU decides to take part in a tour, the destination may remain Canada, where KU has traveled twice in an eight-year span. However, the dates would likely be in August, not over Labor Day weekend this time, because teams cannot miss school to play in these exhibition games. On the last two trips, KU departed on Friday, a school day, and returned late Monday.

“A lot of teams are going to Europe in May or Europe or Canada in August before school starts,” Keating said. “Freshmen now can take part if they are enrolled in summer school. Generally a European trip is 10, 11 days. Canada became a popular place to go because you can play four games in three days (with doubleheader one day) in a relatively short trip.”

Teams can practice 10 days on campus before leaving on the trip. Coaches generally regard the practices as more important than the exhibition games.

Simien camp: Former KU forward Wayne Simien is holding his fourth-annual Called To Greatness basketball camp this week at Free State High.

In all, 123 youths attended the first day of camp on Tuesday.

“We enjoy teaching these young men different basketball skills to help them be successful, but more important than that, we are teaching them what a true life of greatness really means,” Simien said. “It doesn’t have anything to do with their athletic ability or individual accomplishments but of being a son of God and following Jesus Christ and serving other people. That’s the message we share with these guys to be intertwined with the game of basketball. We have a great response from the parents and players both. We’re excited to keep the program going.”

Poker face: Former KU forward Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics was eliminated Monday on day 2A of the World Series of Poker’s Main Event in Las Vegas. In all, 6,865 players entered the Main Event, with 4,521 players qualifying for the two second-day rounds.

“I had a great time,” Pierce told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “I’ll definitely be back next year.”

Pierce, who paid $10,000 buy-in for the No Limit Hold-em event, has participated in several World Series of Poker events this year.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Dont care about VCU...VCwho? KU gave them and their miracle-believing fans a nice gift didnt we. Our team didnt defend. Didnt shoot 3s. Didnt hit FTs. And yes, the refs made some key calls/non-calls. It was "multifactorial", but largely our own fault. Yes, credit VCU for shooting quick in the possession, but come on--why didnt the team adjust?

I watched this dvr game about 4 times, and 2 weeks ago watched the 1st half again. Tyshawn called for a charge that the new arc would make a noncall. Marcus steps outta bounds. Someone assists TRob for a vicious dunk, but Markieff gets called for 3sec away from the play. There were another 1 or 2 blown calls. Thats just the 1st half. Finally got sick of the fiasco, and erased it permanently. Did not make a dvd of that one. Richmond dvd exists as the Twins "last win". Everyone was on fire that game.

But we get to claw our way into the top10 every season. Cant say the same for Bucknell, Bradley, Arizona, VCU, or UNI. Hey, whatever happened to UNI and smirky-faced coach? What was his name??? (you get my point, jayhawk fans? Be proud, stay proud! We always are relevant. We also have a real shot 60-80% of the time of winning the whole thing under Bill Self...Roy wasnt bad either...). RCJH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 9 months ago

What about the NIT Season Tip-Off (formerly the Preseason NIT)? How come KU hasn't played in the November NIT since Roy's coaching days? O_o

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

And in other kick-sand-in-your-face news, the ESPY's have a category for Best Upset of the Year.

And the winner is...................... VCU Rams.

Oh joy!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

kushaw,

You and Oak are Lonos in my eye.

I have been to Hawaii many, many times, and each time I have gone I planned to do something productive, or practical while I was there, but never did.

The minute I feel the trade winds between 80 and 82 F and I know the water is warm and the women are wearing mu mu's, then I basically begin to enter a state something like Pon Far that Spock entered into intermittently. I become a satyr seeking pleasure at every waking moment. Banana pancakes with coconut syrup. Sex. Body surfing. Sex. Cooking my own steak and flirting, while at the Shore Bird. Sex. Snorkeling to be dazzled by the sea life at that park a bit beyond Diamond Head. Sex. Driving a jeep to Hana and walking through the jungle with almost nothing on. Sex. Going to park where Hunter Thompson conceived The Curse of Lono and drinking Kona coffee and having a chewey bun filled with coconut paste. Sex. Waking up in the middle of the night and walking in a towel across an ancient black lava flow in the moonlight drinking wine. Sex. Sailing trimarans out of La Haina over to Molokai. Sex. Riding a BMW motorcycle over the saddle between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Sex. Catching a scuba tow on a sea tortoise. Sex.

It would be literally impossible for me to sit in a gym on Oahu and watch 12 games.

Unless I could have sex between each game. :-)

And even then, I would not be able to stay in doors that long. :-)

You and Oak are true basketball fans.

I salute you both.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

The deeply religious person knows a kind of peace that many others do not. They possess a kind of insight into this world of ours that spares them from uneccessary conflicts and fearfulnesses of others that are different. Any deeply religious person I have known would be thrilled to compete with and cooperate with other religious teams and individuals and would neither discourage, nor fear, bringing religions together to bring humanity closer together. To truly believe in one's god frees one entirely from the fear of another believing truly in another god. It is this intrinsic truth and beauty of religion that demagogues and religious fakes often ignore in order to incite, divide and conquer those that would choose not to join with them. The moment you find yourself with a person claiming to be religious, while acting intolerantly of other religions, is the moment you should recognize that you are not with a religious person at all, but with someone pretending to be religious in order to gain something secular. Or so my experiences have taught me.

In a hypothetical camp, would Notre Dame teammates hesitate to play SMU teammates in a pick up game? And afterwards, would Notre Dame players and SMU players hesitate to break up into new teams that were a mixture of both and play a pick-up game with each other? Of course not. Because playing the game is fun and edifying act.

I would be astounded if a person of Wayne Simien's quality and obvious profundity of faith would do anything but strongly embrace and hugely enjoy an ecumenical basketball camp.

He may not have the time and resources and connections in other faiths yet to orchestrate such a camp, but I feel confident that if he were to happen to read this thread, he would surely store the idea in his iPhone and keep his eyes and ears open for an opportunity to participate in such an endeavor, should it ever occur.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

chriz,

I know there is a stereotype that religious leaders and their followers are very intolerant of non believers. And I know that there have been many notorious religious leaders in history that have fed this stereotype.

But I have a dear, dear friend who is a minister. And I had a childhood friend whose father was a pastor. And I have met rabbis and Sunni Moslem whose official rank I never learned. These persons were among the earthiest, most practical and humanity loving persons I have ever known. They had profound faith. They lived their religions. They did not begrudge any other person his, or her, own religion. Nor were they fearful of other religions.

Religious persons that fear other religions; that espouse that other religions are evil, or are necessarily opponents to conflict with, and that discourage others from embracing other religions, simply lack profound faith in their own religions and are substituting insecure, narrow mindedness for true faith.

Not one of these persons begrudged another person's belief in a different religion, nor bad mouthed other religions.

With true faith in one's own god, one need fear no man, no other religion, and no other god believed in by another man. If one truly believes in one's god, then one knows at a profound level that no human activity can harm one's god, nor anyone that truly believes, at least in any eternal sense.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

"Some Ways You Know You've Got a Gambling Monkey"

~You publicly propound the virtue of playing playing a game where the odds are against you.

~You keep calling your wife "the one eyed lady."

~You fan your credit cards, when you pay your hotel bill.

~You bet a one night stand who will climax first.

~You like to double down at "Go Fish."

~You tend to keep keep a folded 100 dollar bill taped to your scrotum for unexpected games.

~Your feel like you are starting a hot streak, when you win a Franklin after losing a K-note.

~You are gambling to win back your car.

~You believe that James Bond's skill at gambling was a more enviable trait than his ability to seduce Bond girls.

~When your doctor tells you that you have bone cancer, you say, "Whaddaya mean, doc, I just won a grand at craps last night?"

~You believe gambling addiction movies are made for suckers.

~You identified more with George C. Scott than Paul Newman in the "The Hustler."

~You regularly bet on your son's church league games.

~When you go to a topless beach on the French Riviera, you are thinking about going to the casino.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

GeoHawk15 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm heading out to Maui for the tournament with a group of friends. We have everything covered except for tournament tickets. We didn't stand a chance getting them through KU Athletics. None of us dole out enough money to the Williams Fund. Supposedly, leftover tickets go onsale through the tournament website around the end of August, but I'm a little skeptical. Does anyone (kushaw?) have any tips for scoring some tickets? What's the scalping situation like? Thanks!

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 9 months ago

Perry is gonna be a Jayhawk. For once I can say that I've got inside information.

jaybate - cuonzo Martin loves to coach defense and rebounding...and loves a half court game. I live in Springfield MO...and have watched and kept up with MO State during his time here. He likes to grind out basketball games...which I think will bode well in the SEC.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

will they be facing the likes of VCU ?

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Now I wont be torn between a good game and the KU game.

texashawk10 2 years, 9 months ago

Looks like I gotta get my passport renewed sometime in the next 2 years for the Bahamas

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, at least Coach K can teach him how to flop to take a charge.!!

Perry, keep stringing Duke along until Letter of Intent Day, then pick up the Duke cap, start to put it on then throw it out the window and put on the Jayhawk cap!!

KGphoto 2 years, 9 months ago

Put me down for two at Atlantis 2013.

kushaw 2 years, 9 months ago

I am just passing along an update from Mascott over at theshiver.com which seems to be very encouraging along the recruiting fronts. Here is the quote from Mascott and below is the link to the thread if you want to follow. This was posted less than two hours ago.

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Manning hasn't missed 1 game that Perry Ellis has played while Perry was in Indy, Chicago and now Wisconsin.

Both Danny and Coach K watched Perry yesterday and Perry plays against Isaiah Austin and Mitch McGary today so it's likely that Danny will be joined by a number of coaches recruiting Ellis to watch those match-ups.

Coach Self has been to at least 12 of Perry's games during this same stretch and Joe Dooley has been to at least 6 and Townsend has been to a number of them as well.

Do you think KU wants Perry? I'm not sure if they have made it clear. lol"

For those that don't keep up with theshiver or recruiting, Ellis dropped 31 in a win over Shabazz's loaded dream vision squad last week for those that were curious.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

Let me echo kushaw...I did the Maui Tourney in 1996..three days of basketball, beaches and babes and then a Luau for Thanksgiving Dinner. Best Thanksgiving I've ever had!!

I sat three feet behind Coach Roy on high school bleachers. It was AWESOME!!!!!!

kushaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Carterpatterson: This may calm your "eff Duke" rant just a tad. Someone brought this up on theshiver and i didn't realize this either, but the NCAA approved a "Restricted Area Arc" around the basketball back in may. Hey, at least the NCAA is going in the right direction for the phantom Duke and Tyler Hansbrough charge calls.

Carter Patterson 2 years, 9 months ago

I apologize for the profanity but eff-Duke and their "policies". Are they afraid of Chaminade? What a bunch of arrogant mule tails that they won't play anybody but D1. We play a hard schedule every year and we play a few D2 games because 1) It helps the D2 school out tremendously and as a powerhouse KU lives up to its responsibility to help those programs and 2) Its a game for our younger players to learn from. Every now and then you'll get snake bitten, but the benefits make it worthwhile.

And Duke fans wonder why nobody likes them....

kushaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Some "Shawesome" thoughts for the day:

1) If you've never been to the Maui Invitational and you're a "Jayhawk Junkie" or for that matter a "College Basketball Junkie" in general, it is definitely something you need to do in your lifetime.

IMO it's the best experience I've ever had watching college basketball live in person. It seriously is like going to a big time High School or AAU tournament with a 1000 fans all crammed in a gym watching big time basketball. There isn't a bad seat in the house and you get 12 college basketball games in 3 days!

The Maui Invitational is going to be a tough tourny to figure out. I could see the Jayhawks making the championship or going 0-3 or 1-2 in the tourny. KU has more experience than they did in 2005 when I was there, but the result could be the same because of the stacked field. If I had my choice I wish KU wouldn't have to play Chaminade. I would rather go 0-3 against UCLA, Memphis, and somebody from the other side of the bracket just to get the team focused on good competition early in the season.

2) Didn't realize the Jayhawks were going to be in the Bahamas at the Atlantis Resort in 2013. That's pretty sweet news. Looks like I need to start making plans.

3) It's still kind of mind boggling to me that kids like DeAndre Daniels, Trevor Lacey and some other big time recruits (Not so much him really) would pass on the opportunity to go to Hawaii and potentially have some early season exposure against a stacked Maui field. Seems like the perfect opportunity to prove that you belong in the NBA. Considering that KU also plays Kentucky in MSG I'm still shocked that some of these kids passed on this opportunity.

4) Poker Face: One of my favorite adult hobbies is playing poker and I would say that next to watching Jayhawk Basketball, playing in multiple WSOP events over the last couple of years has been one of the most intense, emotional, and fun experiences I've ever done.

Jaybate, it's only a "Bug" if you let it, but the rewards are great if you can control it mentally. Also, a little bit of luck and timing goes a long way.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

We usually have a huge feast for Thanksgiving. I definitely need the chair that faces the big screen. Sorry, Honey-----my beloved Jayhawks are on ESPN!!!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

~In Maui, I am eager to see what Cuonzo Martin has UTenn doing.

~What is the word on Mario Little? Has he landed with a Euro team yet?

~C'mon, take the kids to Europe, for god's sakes.

~Speaking of god, Wayne, this camp you have started seems to be doing pretty well and is a solid foundation for something complementary. Next, it would be neat if you would start an another camp--an ecumenical religious basketball camp and tournament. Invite teams to represent as many of the religions of the world as possible. Stage two tournaments. In the first tournament, the kids play as teams representing each religion. Fundamentalist Christians vs. Orthodox Jews tip off at 7:00 pm. Eastern Orthodox Catholics vs. Islamic Fundamentalists tip at 9 pm, and so on. The winning religious team gets to demonstrate how the their religion teaches them to carry themselves as winners. Next, the teams spend a few days in camp learning about each other's religions. Then a second tournament is staged. In this tourney, the kids are scrambled up and play on ecumenical teams; i.e., on teams composed of kids from other team, so that each team has a kid from every religion represented at the camp, or at least as many as possible. This way the kids get the combined learning experience of representing their religion in competition with other religions, but also of representing their own religion in cooperation with other religions. Playing against and playing with. I believe this would greatly enrich the religious experiences of each camper and greatly improve the relations between religions and religious individuals at a time, when religions and religious individuals would greatly benefit from learning how to compete and cooperate with more love, affection, understanding and effectiveness. And this would add another revenue stream to your ministry. And this would keep you getting better by expanding your knowledge of other religions and of how to be a spiritual leader of young men from all walks of life.

Keep up the good work.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Paul, be careful of the gambling bug.

KULA 2 years, 9 months ago

Sorry Mother, but I won't be able to make it back home for Thanksgiving next year.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 9 months ago

Funny i don't remember Selby being in uniform for the UMKC game (picture above).....anyways this is great news!!!

Hank Cross 2 years, 9 months ago

My Thanksgiving plans for next year are officially set.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I am glad to hear that we get to play in exciting and fun tourneys during Feast Week. I have been anticipating us joining one of those invatationals for some time, we havnt done any for a while inless you include las vegas (which is a small and usually easy tourney)