Sunday, July 10, 2011

Former Jayhawk Terry Nooner hired by SIU

— Former Kansas University basketball guard Terry Nooner recently was named assistant women’s basketball coach at Southern Illinois University.

Nooner, who played at KU from 1997-2000, has seven years experience coaching high school and AAU basketball in addition to seven years experience as a basketball instructor in the Kansas City, Mo., area.

The Kansas City native has coached the girls 13-and-under and 15-and-under teams for the Lady Phenom AAU organization since 2007 and previously coached the Earl Watson Kansas City Bruins 17-and-under boys team in 2006. Nooner also coached boys basketball at Southeast High School (2002-03, 2007-08) and Raytown High School (2008-09) during his six years of teaching special education at the two schools.

In addition, Nooner has served as president of KC Pro Am Inc., a nonprofit organization that provides basketball instruction, since 2007, and has served as a personal basketball instructor at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City since 2006.

“Terry understands the work ethic it takes to succeed at the highest level,” SIU coach Missy Tiber said. “He was the epitome of a student-athlete under Roy Williams at Kansas. He has great character and will be an excellent mentor and role model to the young women in our program. Terry’s outgoing personality will also allow for him to be an excellent recruiter. Terry will also work daily with our post players.”

Owens to join Oklahoma: Tulsa Lincoln Christian boys basketball coach Teddy Owens, the son of former KU coach Ted Owens, has been named a graduate assistant coach for Lon Kruger at the University of Oklahoma, the Daily Oklahoman reports.

“What an opportunity to work for a man who is respected by the entire coaching fraternity,” Owens told the Oklahoman. “The staff is incredible. Great guys.”

Owens, 29, compiled a 48-27 record in three years at Lincoln Christian.

He guided the Bulldogs to Class 2A state tournament in 2009 and 2010.

Comments

Ken Sedgwick 8 years, 2 months ago

perse you found a positive way to spread the clap.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 2 months ago

I wonder why Nooner didn't go for the mens programs. I mean womens basketball is pretty much a dead end job.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah - it's been a terrible deal for Geno Auriemma. Pat Summitt. Jody Conradt. Probably a few hundred others that I've not listed. Bad job.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 2 months ago

You'd be surprised, it's actually much easier to come up through the ranks in womens coaching than in mens. Recruiting is easier, less pressure, and although it doesn't pay the same it still pays pretty well.

ccarp 8 years, 2 months ago

Even Bonnie makes a lot more than me.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Lived in McCollum Hall the same time as Nooner my freshman year, and I played pick up ball with him a handful of times at Robinson. Dude looooves the outside shot...

Gotta say, this made me giggle a bit: "Terry will also work daily with our post players.” Um, Nooner is like 4 foot 2 and I don't believe I've ever seen him take a shot within 25 feet....

Seriously though, good luck Terry. Hope your career keeps moving forward.

KGphoto 8 years, 2 months ago

That is funny. But you can't deny, he's a baller or he wouldn't have played at KU. (I played with Haase once. I also played with Rex Walters. Both of them blew my doors off at my very best) He's been in that gym with the top talent in the country, if not the world. He's also had to make a lot of entry passes and knows about post positioning from the other side of things. Although it seems a stretch, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, he can always call up Danny.

Love seeing Hawks coaching.

waywardJay 8 years, 2 months ago

WOnder how Danny would do with The Griner kid from Baylor.....

FTP 8 years, 2 months ago

Have any of you guys seen the new Jayhawk basketball site? FearThePhog.com or something? A buddy of mine heard a rumor that they'll be getting a full-time recruiting guy in the next few weeks and should take off as one of the better sites overall.

neilster 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I've seen it. It's absolutely horrible and viruses pop up constantly when you visit. DON'T GO THERE! heh heh.