Monday, July 4, 2011

Alonzo Jamison to coach Bethel

— Former Kansas University power forward Alonzo Jamison has been named head basketball coach at Bethel College.

Jamison, who played at KU from 1989-92, has been an assistant at Bethel since 2008. He takes over for Mark Yoder, who recently resigned his post.

“I am grateful that the Bethel College administration has given me this opportunity,” Jamison said. “A big thanks goes out to coach Yoder for leading the program in the right way.”

Bethel is an NAIA school that competes in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

“Losing a great coach like Mark Yoder would be devastating to most colleges, but Bethel is extremely blessed to have someone of Alonzo Jamison’s caliber poised to take over the program,” said Bethel athletic director Kent Allshouse. “I am extremely pleased that Alonzo has accepted the position and I am excited to watch Alonzo guide his program to great success. The Thresher men are eager to learn the game from a Kansas star.”

A native of Santa Ana, Calif., Jamison in 1991 was a starter on the KU team that defeated Arkansas to win the Southeast Region Tournament and advance to the Final Four (KU lost to Duke in the final).

Jamison was named Southeast Region MVP and also made Dick Vitale’s “All Rambo” team, which honors the top five defensive players in the country.

Jamison has a B.S. in communications from KU. Before coming to Bethel, he served as a varsity assistant coach and junior varsity head coach at Mill Valley High.

Comments

Funhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Alonzo! Zo was one of Roy's first recruits and one of my favorite Jayhawks of all time. Fun watching Alonzo Jamison on the court - he really got after it! Boy, was he tough (Bill Self would have loved him). More and more Jayhawk players now in coaching. And, wasn't Alonzo in banking at one time? Alonzo was on a really fun Jayhawk team. Reminds me of Richard Scott.

notigers4me 10 years, 5 months ago

Was it Alonzo or Richard Scott who pleyed one year with a separated shoulder?

namder 10 years, 5 months ago

I have on occasion spoken with Alonzo due to his association with MAYB. I hate to see him leave his position with them but am very happy that he is able to climb the ladder to attain his dream. Good Luck Zo!

JayHawkFanToo 10 years, 5 months ago

It certainly is if you were an assistant coach and now you are the Head Coach!!!

Funhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Fun team - Alonzo with Mark Randall, Downtown Terry Brown, Adonis Jordan, Richard Scott, Patrick Richey, Steve Woodberry, and Mike Maddox - all over achievers. They were the underdogs and they became winners. LJW, March 25, 1991. "KU Attains Final Four in Spite of Adversity." By Gary Bedore. "Kansas in the Final Four? Pinch Roy Williams, he must be dreaming. 'In the preseason, we were so bad and banged up, if I thought about what our record was going to be, I'd have gotten sick,' said KU's third-year coach. His Jayhawks — 9-4 and limping at one point thanks in large part to injuries to Mike Maddox, Richard Scott, Steve Woodberry and Mark Randall will take a 26-7 record and clean bill of health into the Final Four in Indianapolis. KU, 26-7, will face 29-5 North Carolina in a Final Four semifinal Saturday at the Hoosier Dome. It's somewhat amazing Kansas has attained the Final Four just a couple years after NCAA probation kept the Jayhawks out of the '89 meet. KU, you may recall, was not allowed to bring recruits to campus all of '89. Yet here the Jayhawks are, gearing for Indy. 'I haven't thought too much about probation and the fact it might be difficult to get back," Williams said. Kansas defeated New Orleans and Pitt in first-round Southeast Regional games in Louisville and followed those with a pair of wins over Indiana and Arkansas at last weekend's regional finals in Charlotte, N.C. 'I've always had two rules. I figure if I go by them, things will work out. No. 1, to outwork everybody else. No. 2, to treat everybody the way I would like to be treated. It was really difficult my first year,' said Williams, referring to '89, the year the NCAA said KU couldn't compete in the postseason meet. 'The kids pulled me through. Last year, the loss to UCLA was my most disappointing ever. Those kids (30-5) accomplished a lot. This year, they've not stopped working.' The work has paid off. KU is in the Final Four for the second time in four years. 'It's what I've dreamed about,' said Jordan. He says KU is looking forward to playing the Tar Heels. 'I like watching Carolina play. They play exactly the way we do. 'It'll be weird, like playing in practice. Each team will know what the other will do. It'll be a matter of which runs their plays better, I guess.' "

Funhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Wow, that was quite a video. Thank you!

actorman 10 years, 5 months ago

"Boy, was he tough (Bill Self would have loved him)."

Ain't that the truth! My favorite thing about that team was watching 'Zo play defense. He's still the most intense defensive player I've ever seen.

Thanks for posting the article, Funhawk, and thanks for the video clip, chrishauser. I was at that Final Four. I remember the KU fans chanting "9-time losers" at Duke before the championship game, since it would have been (and should have been) their 9th Final Four without a championship. And I also remember having a great seat for the UNLV-Duke classic that I would consider the greatest game I'd ever seen if I didn't have serious questions about the validity of the result (given the UNLV players' connections to some shady characters). I'll always wonder how KU would have done against that UNLV team. Maybe they would have played better in the championship game since all the pressure would have been on UNLV.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 5 months ago

Usually known for posting up the younger kids during pick up basketball games at family picnics, today I will hang out around the three point line and fire Terry brown style shots.