Saturday, July 2, 2011

KU basketball team down to two Kansans

Kansas basketball notebook. ...

Senior scholarship player Conner Teahan and senior walk-on Jordan Juenemann will be the only Kansans on the KU basketball roster next season following the graduation of Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed.

Junior forward Travis Releford, who attended Roeland Park’s Bishop Miege, hails from Kansas City, Mo.

Potential reinforcements from the Sunflower State could be coming in KU’s next two recruiting classes.

• Perry Ellis, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound Wichita Heights senior-to-be, has a list of KU, Kentucky, Duke, Memphis, Oklahoma, Kansas State and Wichita State. The three-time state Gatorade Player of the Year, who is Rivals.com’s No. 19-rated player in the Class of 2012, averaged 22.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists a game in leading Heights to a 25-0 record last season and third-straight Class 6A state title. He’s said he will make up to five official recruiting visits this fall.
  • The Jayhawks on Thursday offered a scholarship to Conner Frankamp, a 6-foot, 160-pound junior-to-be out of Wichita North High School. Frankamp, who plays for KC Pump and Run AAU, is the No. 65-rated player in the Class of 2013. The combo guard averaged 27.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.8 steals his sophomore season at North. Frankamp recently traveled to Cancun with USA Basketball’s Under 16 team. He exploded for 22 points off 10-of-13 shooting with nine assists in the gold-medal game against Costa Rica. “I was pretty surprised when he (KU’s Bill Self) offered, and I was in awe, because it’s pretty cool to be offered by Kansas. I was trying to hold back my emotions on the inside,” Frankamp told Rivals.com. “On the drive home, we (he, mom, dad) were still in awe with what happened. It really was a great day for us.” Frankamp’s early list includes KU, UCLA, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas State, Boston College and others.

Lockout talk: Former KU forward Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics was a rookie during the 1998-99 season — a season shortened to 50 regular-season games because of the last NBA lockout.

“Me, I had no knowledge of it (possible lockout). So I got drafted, and I was like, ‘Oh, there’s a lockout,’’’ Pierce, the 10th pick in the 1998 draft, told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. “I was pretty much on my own. I didn’t have a trainer or anything. It was just, ‘Stay ready.’

“That’s the thing about lockouts,” Pierce added. “I've seen a lot of guys end their career during the lockout, pretty much by weight gain. They couldn’t get back to the level of play. It’s always about staying ready. I think a lot of guys ... November comes and guys my age (33) get lazy probably and don’t work out. And then it bites them when they lift the lockout.”

Former KU forward Drew Gooden of the Milwaukee Bucks told the Journal-World recently that he could see former Jayhawks flocking to Lawrence if the lockout stretches into the 2011-12 season.

“I’m one of the guys that would say, ‘Hey, if this does go into November, December ... I mean, Kansas, what better place would there be to train than in Kansas?’ At least practice with the team and be around the facility and have access. I think that’s a great idea,” Gooden said.

“It’s been brought up. The union is trying to prepare some places in certain cities where a lot of NBA guys stay in the offseason and set up some workouts like that. There will be stuff for us to do if there is a lockout, but to come back to your school, there’s no better atmosphere and focusing on the season than that.”

KU coach Self, of course, has an open-door policy to the Jayhawk facilities for former players. Jayhawks such as Aaron Miles, Cole Aldrich, Jacque Vaughn, Scot Pollard and Sasha Kaun are some of those who have worked out at KU in past offseasons.

“The guys have to work out someplace. All these KU guys, the ones without their degrees, should be enrolling in the fall semester and going to school,” said one NBA source who did not wish to be identified. “The facilities there are great. The coaching staff there is great about working with guys. That’s exactly what they should be doing, at least if they still want to earn their degree.”

Comments

Jhawk59 7 years, 1 month ago

I've always wondered, whose insurance covers it when a former player comes back and works out at their alma mater if they get hurt?

jacksquirt 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing their NBA teams and the players have their own policies. All KU is doing is letting them practice at the facilities, unless KU was negligent some how not for sure the university would get into too much trouble.

lee3022 7 years, 1 month ago

No NBA insurance during the lockout. That ended July 1st. It is a worry for International NBA players wanting to play FIBA summer ball with their national teams to qualify for the Olympics. The countries will have to supply the insurance.

HawksWin 7 years, 1 month ago

That'd be a win:win situation for all Jayhawks!! Awesome...

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Pierce. What a man! Insight. Talent. Work Ethic. Touch. Strength.

Ring.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

"Some Offers You Just Say Yes"

Kansan?

If that's what it says on Conner Frankamp's birth certificate, ok.

Jayhawk?

No way.

If you grow up in Kansas, then you know KU basketball by the time you are 8, maybe 7.

You grow up in Kansas and you know KU basketball and you don't love it, then nothing Self says, or offers, is going to change you. You want out of Kansas more than you want into KU basketball.

KU basketball is not hard to grasp. It is not hard to weigh. Its the first. Its the longest. Its the best. Its where the rules are. Its where the guy who invented the game was. Its the best program on earth the last 6 years and one of the three best the last 25 years. If you really love the game and you can really play, KU basketball is it. Fini. Period. End of recruiting.

You maybe want to acquire a higher station in life by "going back east."

You maybe want to do the Calvin Trillin middle class inferiority complex thing and go from the provinces to Yale, so you can catch on schlepping food jokes and getting cultcha.

But if you don't say yes to KU basketball when you grow up with it, then you don't have a drop of Jayhawk blood in you.

Then you're just a Kansan. That's sonething worthwhile, too. But it is no where near the same as being a Jayhawk. Just ask all those walking inferiority complexes over by Tuttle Creek.

When Einstein got offered tenure at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Studies, the story did not read like this:

“I was pretty surprised when Princeton offered, and I was in awe, because it’s pretty cool to be offered by Princeton. I was trying to hold back my emotions on the inside,” Einstein told SciRivals.com. “On the drive home, we (my wife and I) were still in awe with what happened. It really was a great day for us.”

Einstein said one syllable.

He might have spelled it out.

Y-E-S.

But most likely he would have been jumping up and down saying...

There are some offers you don't need to study.

St. Peter says you are good to go through the gates, you go.

Beyonce says she wants to go to Portofino and make love, you don't ask questions. You say, 'Yes!"

Mike Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

Even if her 'dancing' looks more like aerobics..but w/2 left feet, who am I to criticize?

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 1 month ago

Not sure why Some of these kids just don't commit on the spot. I don't know how any kid from Kansas who is offered by Kansas would even think of going anywhere other than Kansas. If I was Perry Ellis or this Frankamp kid, I'd be committed and busting my butt not only trying to get better, but helping recruit other players.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

The Rothschilds, Rockefellers, Morgans and Mellons say, "You want an interest in our central bank cartel?" You don't ask how big? You say, "Yes," and figure out the cut later.

Your father says, "I"m giving you the Winchester Model 21 side by side that belonged to your grandfather, who got it as a gift from Ernest Hemingway," you say yes!

Your 90 year old uncle in Boca Raton says, "I'm too old to fish any more, so I'm giving you the rarest Bertram of all, my pristine condition 26.6 II Sport Convertible with the new twin 200 Hondas that David Pascoe just surveyed and said it was the best example of a 26.6 he had ever seen," you say yes!

Your great grand father down in El Dorado asks if you would like to inherit the oil wells, you say yes.

When you are a 6' 155 pound guard and Coach Self offers you as a junior, you say yes.

When you are a 6' 155 pound guard from Wichita, Kansas, unless you want to an Ivy school, or unless you want a beach, and Coach Self offers you, you say yes!

And if you say anything but yes, you must want an Ivy school, or a beach without winter, or be unnaturally obsessed with the nose of Coach Consonants, or have family that wants you to help get them jobs out of state.

In which cases, you aren't going to say yes to Kansas, when you are a sophomore, a junior, or a senior.

Conner Frankamp doesn't say yes.

Perry Ellis has not said yes for years.

What is with these Kansans from Wichita?

Have the Kochs implanted Governor Scott Walker chips in them that dumb them down to Manchurian recruits?

I've lived at the beach. I left it.

You can live at a beach anytime you choose for the rest of your natural life. Hell, you can be buried at the beach. You can have your ashes scattered in Monaco Bay, if you want for the cost of a measly boat ride.

But you can only play for Kansas one time...when you are 18 to 21...after you graduate from high school...when a Kansas head coach offers you.

The Lottery Pick Twins were from Phillie. Do people understand how little people in Phillie care about the Midwest? How little they know about the state of Kansas? How unlikely they are to ever to visit Kansas on a vacation?

But The Twins and their mom came to Lawrence, Kansas, to become part of The Legacy. A poor, working mother from Phillie with two tall sons dreaming of being great can recognize The Legacy and come half way across the country to be a part of it, but Conner Frankamp in Wichita needs to think it over.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Wilt Chamberlain back in 1955 could even recognize it--back when the state of Kansas was reallly not high on the list of places an African American would leave Phillie for, but Perry Ellis needs to think about it for years.

Paul Pierce could recognize it in Los Angeles, where it never rains or snows or gets cold or lacks women in bikinis, or has Tommy Burger shortages, but Conner Frankamp of Wichita has to think it over.

Aaron Miles could recognize it in the Pacific Northwest, where the fishing and skiing are so good people come from all over the world to spend their vacations in plate boats stalking fat spring salmon, but Perry Ellis in Wichita has to take years to decide.

Shady Arthur could recognize it in split second in a dream in Texas, but Conner and Perry have really got to put on their thinking caps and have the perspective of several campus visits and years of reflection.

Cole Aldrich could recognize it practically out of the cradle from the Mesabi Range in Minnesota, where the winds is heavy on the cold border line, but down in Kansas on the banks of the Ark River, well, two young men from Wichita hesitate...for years on end

I could see this sort of thing back during the Owens era, because KU wasn't playing a great brand of ball and filling the L with crimson and blue.

I could see it in the Brown era, because you weren't sure Brown would stay and you weren't sure anyone could replace him if he left.

I could see it sometimes in the Roy era, because you weren't sure Roy would stay and who else could win 82% of the time and cry after big losses?

But hesitating, or even actually going elsewhere, in the Self era?

This does not compute Will Robinson.

Dave? Dave? Daisy, daisy...tell...me...your...Dave? Dave? Why did you do that, Dave...I'm...half...crazy...all...for the love...of...Dave? Conner? Perry?

KU has the best coach in the country.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

KU plays the best brand of ball in the country.

KU has pros all around the L.

KU has the best facilities.

KU has the most beautiful campus.

KU has great academics.

KU has a great atmosphere for parents to plug into.

KU has Cin to keep Bill's head screwed on straight, no matter how many 30+ W&L statements he hangs.

I hope Self continues to sign the guys who want to come "first" and "most," regardless of where they get their mail.

If he can sign enough guys to leave these two Kansans, who appear to lack enough genuine crimson Jayhawk blood in their veins to sign now, out in the Wichita cold.

We're not talking boats here. Cobalt builds a great boat, but I can see why someone might buy a Bertram 26.6 II Convertible, if they could find one instead.

We're talking Kansas Basketball...The Legacy...James Naismith...Forest Allen...Half the other coaches who ever really mattered, Clyde Lovellette, Wilt Chamberlain...Jo Jo White...Danny Manning...Paul Pierce...on down to The Lottery Pick Twins just a few weeks ago. We're talking the rules of the game. We're talking home of the greatest game ever invented.

And these two kids from the 'ta have to think about it?

Sign everyone you can Bill.

Sign the ones that get it.

Sign the ones that want to sign now.

Sign the ones that have enough brains and insight to be Jayhawks.

And if there is a ride left for these two kids from Wichita and they can ever make up their flipping minds give it to them. But if there is some kid, somewhere, even in Timbuktu, that gets The Legacy, that loves it the minute he understands it, that can ball and work like the great Jayhawks of the past and present, give that kid the ride before you give it to these two Kansas Hamlets.

Viggo3003 7 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate the great percentage of time I enjoy your posts and ramblings and I am a supporter of yours but as someone who grew up in Wichita I think it's appropriate to say.....

F you and the horse you rode in on.

Viggo3003 7 years, 1 month ago

Ok maybe I didn't take my meds either :)

waywardJay 7 years, 1 month ago

Viggo,

It almost as if the City of Wichita would rather just see northern Kansas Succeed so it can just be the capital of it's Own version of Kansas. As far as basketball ties, there is no logical other real favorite..Wichita State hasn't been all that good for all that long. K State was laughable from Altman to Huggins and still isn't all that great today. As someone who has lived up in lawrence area AND Wichita Area, there is a palpable attitude BOTH ways.....

There is nothing wrong with being merely a Kansas, but If you are a younger basketball player from Kansas You shouldn't have to think twice about where you want to play ball.... Unless as Bate says.... You prefer things other than Basketball.

waywardJay 7 years, 1 month ago

haha. I knew something was off with it.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

My beef is this: I just can't respect this shiz of stringing along a great coach and a great program in your home state, of using it to make yourself more attractive to where you want to go anyway, or as a fall back position.

Take some pride in being Kansans. Don't use a Kansas school like a cheap rug, not even KSU. And if you're really not sure whether you want stay in state, or go away to school, say that too.

But don't be coy and talk about what a great visit you had at KU like every other out of state kid with no ties and no loyalties to the state, or to KU basketball, and then leave Self and KU basketball in the lurch.

When Kansas kids string Self along like this, it seems incredibly disrespectful of Self and KU basketball. I know kids from other states do it to Self and KU, but they are kids from other states, that owe the state nothing, that often don't understand The Legacy. They are kids I don't expect diddly squat out of in the way of honor, precisely because they aren't Kansans.

I'm not asking for a lot here either.

I'm not asking them to go to KU no matter what. I'm not asking them to give up their hopes and dreams of going away to school to find out what is over the rainbow. I want any kid who wants to see the world to get what he wants. I left a long time ago to see what was over the rainbow. But I never forget where I came from. I never forget Kansas. I never forget KU basketball. I never use, or abuse, Kansas just to get what I want some where else. I don't ask the state, or The Legacy for anything, but I don't exploit it, or use it either.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Viggo,

I respect you and recognize your duty to defend these young men from your home town and our home state. You've done the honorable thing. And I am willing to take the punch, because I know your heart is in the right place on this.

But there is another issue of comparable importance here to loyalty to our own people.

It is loyalty of our own people to our own institutions.

I will try to honor you by making my point as fairly and clearly as I am able, and given the gravity of this issue, at least in my mind, and I believe in yours, too.

I didn't like ripping on these two kids. I'm sure they are great human beings, but, as I said, somethings are not rocket science.

Some things are knowns, givens.

KU basketball is a given for a Kansas kid, unless he wants to leave Kansas, which is okay, if that's what he wants.

If he wants to leave the state, i.e., go away to school, he should say, "I love KU, but it is my dream to move away from Kansas, at least for awhile, to see the world. So, even though I respect and like KU basketball, I'm taking it off my list now, so I don't waste Coach Self's valuable time in maintaining it at the high level I, as a native Kansan wish for it to remain at."

Saying and doing the above does not hurt their chances to go away to school. They can use other schools and programs to leverage up their attractiveness to other Maybach programs over the rainbow where they hope to go.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm asking Kansas high school players not to use KU. I'm asking them to respect The Legacy. I'm asking them to help Coach Self do his job, either by signing when he offers, or saying, "I've decided to go away to school and so as much as I respect Kansas, and Coach Self, I don't want to be a distraction for the coaches at this great program I grew up with."

That's all I'm asking. Is that really too much? To respect The Legacy and treat it right, even though you want to go away to school to pursue your own dreams?

I wish Perry Ellis and Conner Frankamp all of the success their talent and hard work can bring them. I will be very proud of them, as Kansans, and brag about them being Kansans, wherever they go, but Duke. :-)

But just don't make it harder for Coach Self to keep the program in the Top Three than it already is. Don't make him waste alot of time, and maybe miss out on other young men who could and would help The Legacy, if they weren't worried about a couple locals delaying their decisions.

Don't play Coach Self, like he's just another college basketball coach at just another program with "university of" on the jersey.

He is the head coach of the Father of All Basketball programs.

He is the current keeper of The Legacy.

He deserves the respect and needs the help of all Kansas high school basketball prospects to perpetuate The Legacy honorably.

They can help by saying yes.

Or they can help by saying no without stringing him along.

Ad astra per aspera.

Jacobpaul81 7 years, 1 month ago

You sir, are a schizophrenic. I'm convinced. You should go see a specialist.

Gregor Southard 7 years, 1 month ago

Viggo! you saw my post before it got deleted! Maybe Jaybate works for LJW. I admire Jaybate's enthusiam, but posts of over 100,000 words... :)

ABeesus 7 years, 1 month ago

Whew, quite a ramble. Why was the gratuitous slam on Gov. Walker tossed into the melange? Must be on a taxpayer subsidized payroll...

Well, you did teach me something new, viz, 'plate boat.'
Lots of time to fish w/ 4 months off ea year, eh?

FoCoCoHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

When a poster starts responding to his own posts, I think finding a good 12 Step group is in order.

I'd recommend On and On Anon.

melrank 7 years, 1 month ago

Posting Hall of Fame Elite Wing !!!

I don't want to rip on these kids who are taking their time to figure it out. However, I still was reading each of these sentences with held breath feeling the pride of being a Jayhawk well up inside my chest. Thanks, Jaybate.

PS - I might rip on them if they commit somewhere else :)

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Thx and I respect your desire not to rip on these kids. I hated that aspect of what I posted, but finally I iust had had enough of this business of Kansas kids seeming to play Coach Self and KU, as if he were just another coach from just another school.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for making the case better than I did.

lee3022 7 years, 1 month ago

Yeah but, besides those things, what is there to like?

CrissaxJayhawk16 7 years, 1 month ago

This is all soooo true. I'm sorry Viggo3003, I grew up in Wichita too and I did not find this article offensive at all. I realize that you made a later post talking about you not taking your meds but regardless this post made my day. I have lived in Kansas my entire life and you know what, it isn't the greatest place ever. There are plenty of places I would much rather be. In fact I was planning on going to an Ivy League school or a school on the coast myself. You know, anywhere to get out of Kansas. I had always grown up a KU fan, I just don't like those damn Wildcats, I never have and I never will and I think that if I did my father would disown me, but that's besides the point. My father took me to a KU game in January and at sixteen years old it was my first time going but my God, it was life changing. From that day on I just can't imagine going to another school but KU, there is no place else that sparks my interest anymore. Lawrence is such a beautiful and vibrant city that it almost feels like it's not even apart of Kansas, it's definitely where I want to be, there is no doubt in my mind. So my point is that if Perry Ellis and Connor Frankamp really loved the Jayhawks as much as I do than you are exactly right, they wouldn't have to think about going to school there. They would have just said yes. It's really that simple. My father and I have this discussion all the time and to be honest, I would love it if these two Kansas kids would get their heads out of the gutter and choose KU. But if they don't want to be here, do we really want them? We will be much better off getting a kid from the coast that may not be as talented but sees KU as the great program that it is and will be willing to work extremely hard to become the greatest player they can be. I just hope that Perry doesn't go to Kentucky or Duke, as long as that doesn't happen than I can live with his decision if he doesn't choose Kansas. At the end of the day if he truly doesn't want to be a Jayhawk then he probably won't be a Jayhawk. I just don't want another Josh Selby incident. Anyways, your posts are spot on and I commend you for having enough guts to tell it like it is.

Mike Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

jaybate; "KU has the best looking women (really, I swear its so. And I've been all around this crazy world.)"

jay..its an absolute fact and i too have been all over this country and a few out of country trips.

In the US, it comes down to Miami, Tucson and Kansas.

Outside the US, I don't have the experience needed to judge but it certainly was not England, Germany or Greece. In those countries, the imports were far better than the domestic.

If I can stay healthy, South America or Spain will be my next shore time..They could very well give KU a run for their looks.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, Yes, Yes! Thank you Mr. Bedore for getting some Paul Pierce information about the lockout of 1999. I've always wondered what he and LaFrentz thought about that situation. I wish you would have asked whether or not he would have come back to KU knowing what he knows now about the lockout situation considering the season didn't start up until Feb.

Another interesting part is that if the lockout does indeed have a long duration and it looks like it will, it will be nice to see so many old Jayhawks in Lawrence training, working out, and playing with the current team. With all of the old NBA guys in town, that can only help recruiting (Shhhhh, don't tell anyone) for the 2012 and 2013 classes. Maybe the NBA lockout is a good idea.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate: I just reread your post blasting Beyonce's "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it".... Poetry.

Happy 4th folks. Forget about solvency, sovereignity, and basically that the kids of the greatest generation have done their best to knock the wheels off this great country. This weekend has nothing to do with money, golden parachutes, corporate and personal greed... it's about blowing $hit up. Pure and simple. Because dynamite says so. Trust me nothing makes you forget about $4 gas, deflated home prices, and looming layoffs like blowing $hit up. Happy 4th and be safe.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Let me make clear that I am a huge fan of Beyonce.

Gregor Southard 7 years, 1 month ago

oh, Jaybate didn't take his meds this morning!

BBQinJayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Any word on Traylor and Anderson and their arrival on campus?

RockChalk26 7 years, 1 month ago

According to the JayhawkSlant, Traylor made it to Larryville last night and Anderson arrives on Monday the 4th.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

dynamite - "Trust me nothing makes you forget about $4 gas, deflated home prices, and looming layoffs like blowing $hit up. Happy 4th and be safe."

That may be the most beautiful, and at the same time disturbing, thing I've ever read!! lol

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 1 month ago

His name here is "Dynamite"! And, we're not talking Napoleon.

Can I get a "Git Er' Done"?

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Git Er' Done memhawk.

I don't like looking at your avatar - I'm a Vegetable Rights Activist and I GET HUNGRY

kureader 7 years, 1 month ago

"vegetable rights activist" ... phrase of the day.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

kureader - you don't know how much I'd like to take credit for that - I'm pretty sure I heard it from a standup comedian - Brian Regan, or Jim Gaffigan. But I agree - it's pretty funny....

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 1 month ago

How 'bout blowing up $hit that people eat who say they don't eat anything with a face. You're not one of those people are you nuleaf..?

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

memhawk, I may just be tired, 'cause it's been a long day, but I didn't quite understand your question. I think the answer is NO, though!! I like good ol fashioned artery clogging, waist expanding, all-american red, white and not blue MEAT. I like it grilled, baked, fried, broiled, dried, sauteed, smoked and boiled. Lots of it. Face or no face.

kureader 7 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate needs more attention/affection in his private life. ... perhaps doing 50 page posts on a dating site would be helpful?

PVJayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate's observations and comments are spot on. The people in Wichita don't know about or understand The Legacy because those Wichita basketball players should not have to think about a KU scholarship offer for as much as one second.

Dick Murdock 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree with both of you! If you are from the state of Kansas and think you could get a better deal somewhere else, then GO! We don't want you.

Beate Williams 7 years, 1 month ago

I too, agree. I thought Jaybate did a tremendous job of laying out the why and what for; must say I enjoyed reading every little bit of it and to phrase it in the manner you did to me was poetry. All of the analogies were quite clever and to the point. It is incomprehensible to me that these kids and their parents (obviously) have no understanding as to what Jayhawk basketball is to the world and what it means to be part of the jayhawker nation. They are truly from the lost tribes.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey, hello...where have you been? I haven't seen a post from you in ages. Hope all is well as you bring a touch of sanity, a dash of class and a pinch of rationality to every conversation.

PS I almost died in late March, but enough about me!!! :)

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

PS I am talking to PVJayhawk, of course...no offense to anyone else!!

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Oakville, I almost died in late March too - March 27, to be exact. I'm referring to the VCU game and I'm kidding, of course. If you're not kidding, then I'm very glad that you pulled through! And IF you're not kidding, then the VCU game probably doesn't carry much weight with you, as it rightfully should not. Life is too short and too precious to get worked up about stuff like that. I KNOW that, and I tell myself that frequently, but I still get all jacked up every time we lose.

PVJayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Hello Oakey! Merci beaucoup for the compliments.

I was aware of your illness and wished you well in one or two posts but perhaps you did not see them. At any rate, I am profoundly gratified that you are well and hope you view the experience in a positive light (you "cheated death", after all).

I was too down after the disaster last March to comment, but I have been generally following the stories and letters. I must say I believe I have to count myself among those who think there may be some fundamental defect in the KU program due to all the early exits.

There are those who would dispute this and say "There is nothing wrong. Why, look at all the wins and conference championships!"

But they miss the point. With the teams KU has had, if one takes out the bizarre anti-zone meltdowns and adds a bit of better in-game coaching KU would have not one national championship in the last 20 years, but more like six.

lee3022 7 years, 1 month ago

The 'what if' crowd are gathered over there around the water cooler. There will always be fatal what if and if only moments in every NCAA tournament because it does not select the best team but the team that is able to use its luck the best.

There is not a better coach in the country and the win-loss record attests to this. He recruits well, retains well, coaches well, manages games well and wins well. I share the desire for six more championships but mine are 2012-2017.

allamerican 7 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate..... Could it be possible that you don't know the actual details of the conversation between the Wichita North High kid and Coach Self?

Could it be possible he did commit but is holding off on announcing until he finishes his summer tournament circuit?

Could it be possible that KC Pump and Run asks its players to hold off on making such announcements so that college basketball recruiters continue to attend games and increase the likelihood that other players get noticed as well???

Could it be possible that Perry Ellis is in the bag for KU but he doesn't want to offend his "hometown school" so early in the process?

Could it be possible he actually is that good of a kid and understands respect?

Too many unknowns out there to make generalized statements about "kids from Wichita." I've read your posts for two years now, and generally agree with everything you say, but this time it felt like I was reading something from Keegan....

HawksWin 7 years, 1 month ago

allamerican, Sorry but all these coulda woulda point to one thing -> for some, life decisions will always be clear & simple, while some will manage to come up with more couldas and wouldas & ultimately drown in them. If these kids have dream, it should be clear & easy. Do you want to play bball at KU? Yes or No. If no, where? Don't know? Been figuring it out for years? Well move on & don't bore us with it. We'll take the one's who are crystal clear about wanting to be at KU - and there are plenty!

lee3022 7 years, 1 month ago

Tell me how he does not add to his reputation by being offered and accepting KU? Year after year the recruits who accept the big national programs early end up in the top 25. Not all, of course, but it looks like it helps. Mostly, however, he needs to make that reputation in KU colors. Then he will have ample opportunity to be noticed, provided he believes he can earn playing time.

I don't share the negativity expressed that he did not commit immediately. It could be that he has promised his parents he will visit his five schools before committing, At least that lets him travel around the country.

onlylookin2score 7 years, 1 month ago

Id take a kansas guy without a degree over a kentucky guy with a degree and day. Although i dont think we have 2 worry about any UK players earning a degree for a while. Yay Calipari!

lee3022 7 years, 1 month ago

They get degrees from Kentucky? Or is that the measure of when the moonshine is boiling?

HawksWin 7 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, I agree with you! For those who don't, look at it from another angle: A man knows who he wants to marry when he proposes particularly if he's been courting her for however many years (Ellis 3 yrs?). If she says she doesn't know, well he ought dump her sorry butt & find someone else. There are lot of fish in the ocean! If and when she changes her mind, well guess what, she will learn she lost a good man. It's her loss!! So I say Self needs to find kids from Chicago or Phillie or wherever the real players who know & understand the game of college basketball (ie - Marcus, Tyrel, Cole, etc) Let Ellis & Francamp court others and see if the other side of fence is greener. Their lack of commitment to KU tells me their basketball dream is cloudy at best - I'd think playing bball for all those years, you'd dream about playing for XYZ college or NBA team. It may be indicative they don't know or don't dream. Perhaps they lack passion & the desire of a champ. If someone offers a dream job to person who has no dream, well the offer means absolutely nothing, nada! So let them go elsewhere & be nonKU, noJayhawk. Get kids who wanna be! Get kids who will appreciate to be a Jayhawk. Self & staff shouldn't wait around for Ellis or Francamp. We don't need prima donnas like Daniels. Send those away.

KUfanInFlorida 7 years, 1 month ago

I think KU has a good chance in landing him.

John Boyle 7 years, 1 month ago

I saw him play last summer and wasn't very impressed. He must have really developed in less than a years time. My freshman son locked him down a few times in summer ball.