Saturday, July 2, 2011

Keegan

QB Brock Berglund won’t suit up for KU

Valor Christian quarterback Brock Berglund, right, scrambles away from Steamboat defenders in this 2009 photo from the Class 3A state championship football game in Aurora, Colo. Berglund signed to play football at Kansas University on Jan. 4, 2011.

The official Kansas University football roster continues to list Brock Berglund as a freshman quarterback, but it’s time to speak the plain truth.

Berglund has as much chance of ever suiting up for a Kansas football game as does Lady Gaga, and, really now, can you ever see her agreeing to wear that much clothing? Berglund will play football for KU the day Charles Barkley breaks 70 on Augusta National. He’ll command a huddle surrounded by Jayhawks just as soon as Jane Fonda commands our nation’s armed forces. Berglund will throw a pass to tight end Jimmay Mundine when pigs fly, Pakistan comes clean about harboring Osama bin Laden and Wilford Brimley beats out Leonardo DiCaprio for an Oscar.

Berglund graduated high school in time to enroll in classes at KU this past January, which set him up for competing for the starting job in the 15 spring practices. He showed up, then went back home, took classes online, blew off spring football. Someone privy to such things said he hasn’t been seen at “voluntary” summer workouts since picture day June 15. Teammates have made it clear he’s not welcome.

The sad case of Berglund, the Colorado recruit, has not been without comic relief by way of his self-evaluation.

Berglund initially committed to Colorado and de-committed after a coaching change. Shortly after pledging to the Jayhawks, he was asked by the Journal-World’s Matt Tait to name a quarterback he resembled.

“I would say Tim Tebow, Michael Vick and Peyton Manning, kind of all put together,” said Berglund, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound athlete reportedly blessed with ample mobility and throwing accuracy.

(By the way, did I ever mention I look like Conner Teahan, am built like Thomas Robinson, lead like Todd Reesing, sound like Hank Booth and pay like Lew Perkins?)

Sadly, Berglund expounded on the comparisons.

“My ability to make plays outside the pocket is a lot like Michael Vick’s,” he said. “When it’s third-and-27 and you’re just trying to get a few yards to punt, he makes a first down or a touchdown. Tim Tebow’s just a leader on the field and a motivator, and I like motivating. And I’d say I prepare like Peyton Manning does in the way that I watch tons and tons of film in a week and like to get ready for anything the defense can throw at me.”

Still, he was given another chance by coach Turner Gill. No way Berglund can get a uniform now that he hasn’t been showing up for the “voluntary” conditioning workouts. Now an exit strategy must be formulated. Gill can’t run him for not attending workouts the NCAA labels optional.

The most likely outcome has KU quietly announcing his departure once Berglund finds another school. For better or worse, this is Jordan Webb’s team. Nobody, least of all himself, ever has described Webb as a cross between Tom Brady and Joe Montana, but he works hard and lets others do the talking.

Comments

kusportsdotcom 3 years, 4 months ago

this article is garbage. how bout some facts? evidence? he's a jayhawk, you overweight piece of...poop. until he actually doesn't suit up, why not leave the trash-talking to the 20-year-old kids playing the game?

100 3 years, 4 months ago

This kind of speculative gossip just confirms to me that Brock is a damn good player. Otherwise Ahperse & Keegan wouldn't be trying so hard to make this into an ESPN story.

The kid is 18 & left a place he apparently loves (home). Rumors are out he has a sick family member. Another rumor is out he wants to have a proper goodbye to his girlfriend.

I can see a fair article being written, discussing the concern that he's not here yet. For instance if he does have a sick family member it would make it easy to see how his teammates understand why he's not here right now. Anyone past a certain age who reads these posts has dealt with cancer in some way shape or form, whether personally or friends or family members.

Not saying this is the cause of his absence, but if he's gone for a family member's sickness & his teammates understand this....

Then Keegan finds himself in quite a pickle.

Why not get the story straight before reporting it?

For all we know Brock is washing orphans feet in Canada like John Calipari does.

TwistedFish31 3 years, 4 months ago

Choke on your vomit after looking in the mirror troll?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Funhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

This eighteen/nineteen year old is already crucified by the Lawrence newspaper. Give the young man a chance. This freshman hasn't even been here long enough to be in an actual game. Good grief.

murph 3 years, 4 months ago

Um, he's not HERE at all. Pay attention.

LHS1980 3 years, 4 months ago

Um, did you really nice posters notice that the article said... Wait for it... Commentary??

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 4 months ago

+1. Judging by the following comments they either choose to ignore that or don't understand. Sad representation of the KU fan community. I am sure someone will be giving me grief for writing "KU" instead of University of Kansas. Ooh I dread the impending wit....

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Sure it's all opinion....

The problem is it's outright slamming a kid without any real basis in fact. I doubt Kegstand knows anymore than the rest of us, in this case. If he ends up being right, I'm sure he will remind us about it in the future, but when and if the Kid actually dons a jersey for us... DO you think Kegstand will have a mea culpa... Certainly not.

I could write a column blasting any Kansas athlete I wanted, and guess what.... I have no Connections to the Athletic department. I can follow internet conjecture and gossip from here with no connection to the family.

I'm sure Kegstand has the power to get the REAL story from both Sources, but sheer laziness has taken over and all we get is an opinion piece. If he's visiting a sick family member, then certainly leave them in piece and write a story about how great it is that even though we are desperate for a young Quarterback to come in and work with the program... Gill sees the family side of the game is more important than the game of Life. If it's about wanting to hang out with his girlfriend, then let the guys rip him apart in the locker room, and you write a story about the Quarterbacks who WILL be seeing time on the field THIS YEAR. Both of which would be great stories for us to debate on, both would be highly welcome...... Neither is this Lump of Excrement the Journal Editorial staff passed off as a Commentary piece.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Not "Commentary" anymore, they took it off. Now it's just a straight up lie. Fantastic journalism...I guess they use that term loosely at the LJW.

LHS1980 3 years, 4 months ago

Um, Funhawk.. He hasn't been here long enough to brush his teeth! Oh wait, hes not here.. Carry on..

jksport 3 years, 4 months ago

Keegan is on a roll lately. Taking shots at Selby, Berglund and the women's basketball coach in a matter of about a week. How about you come up with some stories on the upcoming players, so we get to know more about them in a positive fashion?! Weather football or basketball, I always feel the LJW does not do a good job of letting the fans know their players, or at least letting us know them before they become stars.

Are all of these shots just a farewell as Keegan heads out the door? I hope so!

David Leathers 3 years, 4 months ago

If you haven't already noticed, this was a double-post, therefore, he already seconded his own motion. All smart-*ssism aside, Keegs needs to go. The readers are tired of reading his articles.

When, LJW, will you figure this out?

jksport 3 years, 4 months ago

Are all of these shots just a farewell as Keegan heads out the door? I hope so!

Aaron Carpenter 3 years, 4 months ago

i definitely agree with you. Most other big time schools have much more coverage of the team and certainly incoming players and news (see SEC schools.) Very poor job.

Geekinout 3 years, 4 months ago

It reminds me of the pathetic and irresponsible journalism that the University Daily Kansan spews out. Pure speculation and lack of creativity?

lahothan 3 years, 4 months ago

You mean the best college newspaper in the country? You're right... we should expect college papers to print pure unbiased information about their sports programs...

Geekinout 3 years, 4 months ago

Great example of what I'm talking about. Take someone else's words and mix them around until you present a completely different view. Did I ever say they should print pure unbiased information about their sports programs? I remember how the UDK would con people to give statements and then completely misconstrue the topic.

okiedave 3 years, 4 months ago

slow mid-summer sports news period. Let's see if we can trash somebody.

SEsco10 3 years, 4 months ago

In Mike Gundys words "THAT'S NOT TRUE !!! SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT"

Carter Patterson 3 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if Turner Gill will have a Mike Gundy reaction to this article.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

This article was so informative. The facts checked, rechecked and checked again... Or, it was a bowl of fabricated dog slobber that a bored journalist made up in between Angry Birds sessions. How about some actual journalism for a change instead of speculative BS? But wait, finding facts requires...deep breath...effort.

Andy Hess 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for reminding me why I hate most of your work. Journalist of the year here, folks, with all his inside knowledge on the situation. No wonder Coach Gill hates your guts.

Scatterhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

And what's with the shot at Lady Gaga? She wears plenty of clothes. The dress she wears to perform So Happy I Could Die makes her resemble a castle more than a person, it's so elaborate and tiered. All you can see are her arms and her face behind the moving parts.

Scatterhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

This is definitely less clothes than a football uniform*.

*It's not really.

2:00 in.

Doug Merrill 3 years, 4 months ago

Shoot the messenger anyone? Because he brings the bad news that no one else has, you vilify him for doing so? And as to what other campus city newspapers do to 'bolster' their hometown teams, you must be living in the 70s. The University is the primary target of the newspaper in every single college town and the LJW coverage is no different than that I have seen in the other four I have lived in. The U is the number one industry and I guarantee you the Detroit Free Press didn't spare Chrysler. We applaud the paper when it uncovers ticket scandals and AD fiascos. If it dares to speak the truth about something we don't want to know, though....

David Leathers 3 years, 4 months ago

Why would we let Keegan's brother have a log-in?

Keith Kienzle 3 years, 4 months ago

You're right that fans don't need to read a homer homering all the time. However, a homer tends to actually care about the team enough to have interesting insights, and at the end of the day, I don't think Keegan's a fan, he's just a tired negative dude who could care less about what he's writing about. Just a job. Why would we want to read what someone like that has to say about something the rest of us care more about?

superdave 3 years, 4 months ago

You mean he'll suit up for KU when Keegan becomes a good writer?

Alabamastreet 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Tom, those who follow KU football have been wondering what happened. Some good insight, we appreciate it.

GabrielMichael 3 years, 4 months ago

The negativity certainly isn't helping Coach Gill... like it didn't help Coach Self with Daniels and Selby either... Guys we sound like the 'jilted lover' before we've even had the 'relationship'!

Come on! We are blessed! We are Jayhawks! If our guys aren't doing something illegal or immoral we support them!

ksujoey 3 years, 4 months ago

Wait!! what am I thinking Come on were are Jayhawks If our guys are doing something illegal or immoral we still support them!!!

Sanusak 3 years, 4 months ago

My apologies in advance for the long post.....

This "Commentary" is completely inappropriate and unprofessional. The Lawrence Journal World should never have allowed this to be published. I don't care if it's an "opinion" or not. Keagan is a representative of a organization that supposedly fairly reports the NEWS, and shouldn't be sensationalizing or creating it on a whim. Regardless if it's true or not, you do NOT publicly trash a young man out of high school. Particularly one that's made a verbal committment to your hometown university. If Brock has personal issues, they are his own and no one else's business. I would imagine there are many players on most teams that don't like someone or don't get along, but those are issues between those players and the coaches. They aren't something to be exploited by the press. If Brock has an over the top attitude so what? Perhaps what he said was taken out of context or blown out of proportion. Perhaps he needs more practice wth his interview skills. Perhaps he wished he hadn't said what he said ( I can only hope Keagan would feel the same). He's a young adult (as opposed to Keagan who should know better).

Virtually everyone on every football team has been told they're God's gift to football. And that attitude gets adjusted ( up or down ) as they finally compete against each other. Let their play on the field sort out the pecking order. It's not the job of the local paper to incite players just because they don't like someone. This article has done nothing but tick me off, and damage the reputation of a recruit that may or may not come now. If he doesn't come, it will probably be the result of this irresponsible self-absorbed, self-fulfilling prophecy of journalistic garbage and then Keagan can say " see I told you so ".

If you feel the need to attack a coach or the system, fine. They get paid to deal with those issues. If a player has done something that warrants public flogging ( DUI, fights, drugs, etc..etc..), fine. They need to be put in their place. But you DO NOT publicly attack an incoming student, fresh out of high school, effectively damaging his relationship with his coach, teammates and the general public, just because it's your opinion. Leave the irresponsible posts to us, the irresponsible anonymous public.

If you want to post garbage opinions like the one in the article above, then the Journal World should grant your request and discharge you from your position so you can freely make hurtful, baseless comments at will...... My apologies for the hurtful, but totally justified comments I've just spewed out.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Sanusak, who died and left you as keeper of the journalistic rule book? :^) Berglund's comments (direct quotes, not conjecture), and his absence from the school he "committed" to (fact, not conjecture) were accurately reported in this commentary. As sports editor, Keegan has every right to post his opinion.

As far as damaging Berglund's relationship with coach and teammates, I think Brock has done a pretty good job of that already.

Just my two cents - no hostility intended toward you.

Sanusak 3 years, 4 months ago

No offense taken. Your points are valid. I'm definitely NOT the keeper of the journalistic rule book as I would have spelled Keegan's name correctly before I posted this , but I was too caught up in the moment.

I'm sure Brock was caught up in the moment too when he got the attention of KU reporters, he probably regrets what he said or didn't realize how unforgivingly damming those statements would be.

And you're correct, Keegan has every right to his opinion, but I believe you'd be hard pressed to find another article anywhere from a local paper reporter that is so disparaging about a incoming freshman to the local university who hasn't even played a down. Just because Keegan has an opinion doesn't mean it should be publicly voiced. This isn't twitter or Facebook where your fans are just dying to hear whether you had bacon or sausage for breakfast. It's on the homepage of the Journal World's website, for all I know it's in the paper too. It's just not appropriate.

I generally haven't had any issues with Keegan's reporting, in fact, I've thought posters were being over-dramatic in their criticism. But lately it seems his " commentary" pieces have crossed the line ( in my opinion). His article on Selby I considered to be a bit cruel as well.

As a KU fan, I've been coming to kusports for many years and I can't recall Keegan being as negative to current and past players as he has recently. I, for one, don't care for it.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Appreciate the well thought out response. I generally agree with your post, but probably like Mr. Keegan I am getting tired of the Brock Berglund saga and wish he would get down to business with the Jayhawks. Guess I need to work on patience...

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

When journalists bash 18 year-old kids, it's good journalism.

But, when readers critiize journalists, it's unfair?

The knife cuts both ways.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Sanusak, you don't need to "back off" your first post. It was on the mark.

Had I read it before doing my own post, I could have just said "ditto" and saved myself some time.

No one's suggesting that Keegan and LJW don't have the right to be boneheads. But YOU have a right to your opinions too. I happen to agree with you. It's irresponsible and innapropriate for the home town newspaper to use this kind of tone in an article about one of its own student athletes. Trash the coaches who make $2 million a year or the AD who makes $4 million a year or the KU officials who steal tickets ... but, think twice about trashing a student athlete who hasn't been malicious and who is still trying to grow up.

Gary Denning 3 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Trashing an 18 year old? Before he ever gets a chance to come to Lawrence and prove himself? Nice work.

rastameta 3 years, 4 months ago

Jim Stauffer 3 years, 4 months ago

My only complaint is if Keegan knows this is true it should be verified and printed as news. If not, it should not be written as a way to circumvent the fact he cannot prove what he suspects.

The statement that his teammates have let him know he is unwelcome is unequivocal in this article. In order to state this Tom has to have real evidence. Why not turn this into a news article and substantiate it?

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I wholeheartedly agree. Keegen has a tendency to do this manuever quite often: he, apparently, is hearing things from people, but they are not relevent enough sources -- or wish to stay anonymous -- so he reports in opinion articles without any hard evidence. Another recent example is when he "knew" that Bubba Cunningham was going to be hired as AD, but he wasn't; so Keegs through out an opinion piece about how Gray-Little destroyed the deal without any evidence to prove it. I agree that this type of journalism is quite irresponsible, and, in fact, it's not journalism at all, it's editorialism.

Keegen absolutely has the right to speak his mind in a commentary; however, when he throws out wild rumor and accusations, his readers also have the exact same right to call him irresponsible.

In the end, though, these pieces he has written recently are simply an attempt to garner clicks and raise ad revenue during a time when sports are quiet. In my opinion, that is even more despicable: hammering an 18 year old kid just so your paper can make more money.

And I also shake my head at myself for feeding into it by posting....

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

"...through out an opinion piece..."

should read "threw out." Quick typing; my apologies.

rastameta 3 years, 4 months ago

Sanusak is right. This is an article that should not have been written unless you are purposely trying to cause trouble for the football program and for an 18 year old KID.

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe the sports editor allowed this piece to be released. Keegan seems to imply he has some form of inside knowlege. If that's the case he should have stated that, and indicated "according to my sources..." His failure to do that makes this article complete garbage, whether or not his information is accurate.

The rumor I had heard, and the one supposedly going around campus, was that Berglund went back to Colorado because he missed his girlfriend, but that she was going to be attending KU in the fall. I hope this is the case, because the kid looks extremely talented in the video clips I've seen.

Let's hope Keegan is wrong. If he is wrong, Berglund deserves a public apology from the writer.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 4 months ago

Unfortunately, LJW has lost its credibility!

troutsee 3 years, 4 months ago

Even before this article came out, it seemed to me that Bergland's heart is not in playing college football. If he had the burning desire to play, he'd be here no matter what. At this point, if he does show up, it better be with a ton of humility, hard work, a closed mouth, and team concept. If he does suit up, I cannot see him playing this year. He is going to have to earn the respect of his team members and the coaches first, regardless of his abilities on the field. I hope he does show up and suit up, but I think the odds are against it. His body language speaks otherwise.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I think at this point, having missed so many drills/practices, he is a strong candidate to red shirt if he is a part of the team. He will have a lot of work to do in order to learn the system well enough to run it.

Kevin Heath 3 years, 4 months ago

The article really turns on one paragraph:

"Once he showed up on campus, teammates found him to be the personification of those boastful words. They put him in his place. Now, whether they did so with words or one player took it a step beyond is a matter of conjecture. Either way, he took his ball and went home."

Up to this point the typist (I hesitate to eleavate this man to the title of author or writer) is largely giving opinion that the kid has a bit of an ego, yet isn't putting his money where his mouth is by showing up and working.

The next logical question to follow this is perhaps why he hasn't been at the workout sessions. This is not in any way addressed. Not even a statment along the lines of "no reason has been stated for his absence." Apparently this didn't enter the typist's head.

Chalk this all up so far to the typist being the typist. Then the "Once he showed up..." paragraph emerges. Where in the world did the typist get this? This states basically the kid has an ego, none of his teammates like him, so he took his ball and pouted off to mommy???

Seriously, typist, where do you get this stuff? This is like snapping a photo of a female celebrity and putting a big caption "IS THAT A BABY BUMP??? WHO IS THE DADDY???" The only journalistic insight to those statements are random photos by people with no connection to the celebrity. Well, your statement about none of his teammates liking him demonstrates no more journalistic insight. The only basis for that statement is that the kid isn't on campus. He isn't here so they must hate him??? Sources please. Even the bad tabloids say things like "according to a source" or "an insider says." You don't even provide that. You say absolutely nothing about your source of that information.

Typist, I've never posted anything critical of you before. This commentary, however, just goes too far. This is a commentary, and you do state your opinion. However, statements such has those in the above mentioned paragraph cannot be your opinion. If you print those they need to be fact. As you provide no source for your information I must treat it all as your opinion. Your statements are damaging to the team and to the individual player. Sure, they generate a response, but your credibility as a journalist has hit rock bottom. Yes this article is a commentary, but your demonstrated journalistic skills are at the sub-tabloid level.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

"sub-tabloid" ... That's a good word. I'm gonna write that one down ... it will come in handy.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

This is 100% perfectly stated. Bravo.

gwenthejayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

This guy (Keegan) believes his number one goal is to get people all fired up so they write comments. Are the LJW writers bonused on number of comments they get because that would be the only reason that Keegan still has a job. He has one good article out of about every one hundred, and that might be generous. He must be married to the head of the LJW or something similar, because he sure isn't keeping his job due to journalistic quality. Hang em' up, Tom! Go write for some paper in Manhattan, Ks - where the nonsense you spew fits much better. Oh yes, and change your profile picure up above....it looks like a face of someone that just blew gas on an airplane and you're the only one that knows why the whole place smells like sulphur.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 4 months ago

there's no direct evidence for the slight. he's not here for the summer workouts, but obviously that's not that big of a deal to the coaches...or he'd already be off the team. Aug. 1 is a Monday, and if he's not here by Aug. 2 without an explanation, then the point can be made. but not until then.

this kid is the kind of kid KU football needs at QB...an athlete and a confident one at that. we need a difference maker at this position...and it would seem the local opinion writer doesn't like these kinds of folks. So be it. he should just wait then, until bball season to comment on anything.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

"he makes one statement about thinking of himself like Michael Vick, Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow combined......and he's off the football team? i mean c'mon!?! whatever happened to seeing him play?"

This was exactly my thought as well. Nicely said.

The kid was asked what players he resembles, and he gave examples. Does it suggest he has confidence in himself? Sure... and WTF is wrong with that??? Division 1 football is high level competition, are you telling me he is the only kid that is boastful of his talents?? What effing planet are you living on, Keegs? Do you write these sort of pieces when college point guards say they resemble Chris Paul? Or baseball pitchers say they are modeling themselves after Felix Hernandez (known as KING Felix, for the love of God)?

You made a huge stretch in this case, Keegan. And you deserve the criticism you are getting for it.

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

I would much rather have a kid compare himself to Vick, Manning, and Tebow than David Carr, Rob Johnson, and JaMarcus Russell. I'm pretty sure a kid with too much confidence is a better problem to have than a kid with no confidence in his abilities.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I usually disregard Keegan's rantings in the same manner as I would a fly at a picnic. It's a bother, but you shoo it away a few times and it hasn't really been a disaster or ruined the day completely. BUT - I absolutely will not stand for blatant lies and ignorance when it comes to someone reporting to the whole world ( or at least the few hundred of us that actually read Keegan's stuff ) - I know in my heart that Lady Gaga would LOVE to roll around on the turf with a bunch of 18, 19, 20 year old sweaty athletes. DUH.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Another great phrase ... disregard him as you would a "fly at a picnic". I'm takin' notes today from some great posts ... keep 'em comin'.

You could have left out the reference to Lady Gaga, though. It was disturbing.

Paticipator 3 years, 4 months ago

OMG people! The "shoot the messenger" mentality is alive and well in River City. Take a deep breath, step back and smell the proverbial coffee. Keegan is in daily contact with sources in the KU athletic department. These rumors have been around for months. He wrote this piece now because he's confident based on his sources that the effort to salvage Berlgund's commitment has failed and that as the headline says, he "won't suit up for KU." Like it or not, athletes in major college sports programs (despite their age) are public figures. If his commitment is worth headlines, so is his flame out. As one who follows the KU football and basketball teams with more intensity than is probably healthy, I long suspected Berglund was a conflicted kid who didn't really know what he wanted. I don't like hearing the news that the much hyped savior of KU football is a no show, but now that it's time for Brock, the guys who are going to have to compete without it and the so-called Jayhawk Nation to collectively suck it up and move on. I'm just sayin...

David Atchley 3 years, 4 months ago

If anything, I applaud Keegan for putting a little "bass" in his columns. There has been reckless and irresponsible decision making that has harmed the athletics at the University of Kansas. Keegan sat and powder-puffed his columns throughout the ticket scam, the Lew Perkins debacle, the railroading of Mark Mangino, and the ineptness of the search committee in the hire of Turner Gill and the new athletic director. The Jayhawk apologists marched lock-step with him. Its high-time the athletic department and the bumbling and fumbling search committee were called on the carpet. Now that Kansas' name has surfaced as possibly having done business with "Will Lyles" (Yahoo Sports/Dan Wetzel 7/1/2011) and the entangled mess of recruiting improprieties at Oregon, when are the Jayhawk apologists going to stand up and demand a better football program? Turner Gill with his no cell phones, no girls on weekends, no names on jersey approach to alienating himself from every player and recruit. For everything Mark Mangino may not have been, what he did was accomplish the most difficult task, and that is he made Kansas a "2" sport school!! All of the 12-1 season, Orange Bowl win, and creation of a football "program" has been erased by the likes of a fumbling search committee and the public relations spin to convince the myopic Jayhawk Nation the answer to their prayers was a "Nebraska alumnus from the football powerhouse of the University of Buffalo." I know....let Turner Gill have a chance will be the first echoed by the apologists. Football is big business, and in the age of reduced alumni and booster donations, significant television revenue and the elite football programs controlling the conferences, Kansas finds itself having turned their program backwards 10 years.

theotherphogg 3 years, 4 months ago

Excellent point, paticipator. Hey, I want KU to land a great quarterback as much as the next fan, but, let's be realistic here. If Berglund was going to be that guy, he would be here working his tail off. My theory was that someone probably told him he was crazy to go to a non-football school like KU and try to become a big star....like he apparently wants, or already thinks he is, by his Tebow, Vick, Manning references. My money is that Keegan has his facts straight and decided to enlighten the many fans who've been wondering, is Berglund the second coming of Nolan Cromwell, or just another average or below average player...... whichever the case, it won't unfold in Lawrence.

kuilander 3 years, 4 months ago

then he should he take those donkey balls of his and state his reckless blabber as fact, and not this piece of trash and conjecture. i'm just as frustrated at him not being here as the next person, and i'm beginning to think he is going to be a no-show, but this article could be damaging to any chance that he will be coming. keegan is the biggest douche of a writer i've seen, he's completely unprofessional. this article should have been presented as fact or with sources before this ever going to print, and whoever approves these 'articles' should be ashamed of themselves also.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Swear, I looked at the picture with the open stadium and track behind him and thought it was memorial!

Also, in mid to late july Vegas comes out with the future bet on total wins. I don't care if they have us listed at 0 wins, you take the under!!!

newjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow! That is a brutal article! If he does decide to show up along with the other 16 or so kids , that also did not show up for the first voluntary June workouts , this kid is going to have a major complex when he arrives in July. The coaches want the the kids to report on June 1st or 2nd , but it is really the choice of the kid and his family whether to show up in June or July. In the south they say that "the truth hurts"....I hope the story is not true and that this young man decides to come to KU and represent the Jayhawk Nation. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 4 months ago

Right or wrong it is just inappropriate to write something like this.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm good with criticisms of KU or KU coaches from time to time. They're fair game. There are big bucks involved. Insitutions and coaches should expect to be scruitinized. But that is different than attacking an 18 year old kid, who hasn't even attended his first KU class.

There's also a right way and a wrong way to report news or opinions about student athletes. This is an example of the wrong way. Keegan could have offered his opinion ... that "Berglund will never play at KU" ... without trashing Berglund's character and dreaming up "smart ass" anlogies. Keegan may well be right. But, this article steps over the line. It reflects badly, not just on Keegan, but on LJW who presumably edits the work of their reporters. LJW makes a habit of this type of journalism, and that's unfortunate. Many of us like read the LJW because, as the local newspaper, it can be the best source of information. For the sake of the student/athlete, I hate to see this kind of article. It's as though LJW thinks the student/athletes don't read them. If Berglund didn't have a bad attitude before, he'll certainly have one now. Congratulations LJW.

I'l like to see more of the "Matt Tait" style ... good facts, good research, and interesting observations. It is a lot of work to write good articles like this ... Keegan could certainly work a bit harder.

Funhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Matt Tait's writing style stands hand-and-shoulders above the rest of the staff's. The above remarks about Matt Tait are entirely true. Maybe Matt Tait enjoys his job because he is young and fresh. There is no yellow journalism from that member of the sports staff.

bluehawkrising 3 years, 4 months ago

Honestly Keegan, this is the worst article I have seen.

Please stop polluting the Jayhawk space with this garbage.

You are not who you are trying to be.

LHS1980 3 years, 4 months ago

Tom,

I appreciated this information, thanks.

BenRay 3 years, 4 months ago

There was not ANY information in this column. Just opinion and most of it without any supportive basis.

There are reasons Berglund is at home and none of it had to do with KU or football. All reports (none originating with LJW) are it was a family nature. Why would he or KU ever tell the world of personal, sensitive issues?

If he doesn't show at KU now, this single bit of "look at me" writing may get the credit.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

And another thing. If I'm Conner Teahan I'm keeping an eye on TK during post game interviews in the locker room;)

TheGiftedOne 3 years, 4 months ago

two columns in a row stolen from me Tom...Ill be here all year so feel free to email me for more ideas, happy to help. If anyone cares to look at the QB rankings from last weeks message board you will see that I said Brock would never play for KU. Go look. I mean I know I'm gifted but I don't work for free.

Robert Brock 3 years, 4 months ago

This just in: welcome Michael Cunningham.

MitchumMan 3 years, 4 months ago

This is exactly why I stopped reading this crap! First time I've been on here in a year and it's just to saw that the LJW sucks. They burn too many bridges and then scour message boards and such looking for 2nd hand garbage and then write an article about it. Exactly why I now pay for my KU sports news. I enjoy reading good information written by people that actually know what they are talking about and not this crap!

irvan moore 3 years, 4 months ago

i wonder if he got on coach gills bad side by having a girl friend who was going to be here later to distract him with her womanly wiles?

Marc Frey 3 years, 4 months ago

Whatever the reasons, and whatever the real truth may be, I will go with Keegan here. He as insights to the KU athletics that us 'homers' do not. I agree that Berglund will not suit up for KU this fall.

theotherphogg 3 years, 4 months ago

All the Keegan/LJW bashing reminds me of a scene from A Few Good Men.....

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Keegan/LJW are the ones doing the bashing ... or didn't you notice?

Kenny Terry 3 years, 4 months ago

I knew that I was referring to the timing of Toms commentary. It seems it would have been better releasing a article like this if Brock is a no show when its mandatory to be here. Sorry for the mix up

Kenny Terry 3 years, 4 months ago

How about we all just wait till its mandatory for Brock to be here and then if he is a no show then we all can have our own opinion and speak our mind

number1jayhawker 3 years, 4 months ago

Can't blame it on having his GF come to KU. She decided to take her soccer skills to Georgia.

Also per jayhawkslant, he has been dealing with a very sick relative back in Colorado. I agree with Gill allowing him to go back, since family is # 1.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

This is the second or third time the sick relative theory has appeared on this site (that I know of). If anyone has any fact to substantiate it, please share it with the rest of us. If it's true, why isn't the LJW reporting it? For instance, who is the relative, what is the sickness, what is the prognosis, etc?

I'm not blasting anyone, I'm just saying... Posters criticize the LJW for lack of facts, but then pull out the sick relative story without substantiation.

Someone please clarify.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Do we really have the right for that information? And Step back for a minute and think about what you are really saying.....

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Wayward, I'm saying that if he's really helping out a sick relative, it should be pretty easy to substantiate, and I would be very sympathetic. A tactful couple of sentences would suffice - I don't want gory details. But so far, all we have is the "rumor".

What did you think I was saying?

thanks.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

It's no one's business outside the family whether someone is sick or not.... It's none of the news media's business, it's none of our business.... What's next, Are we going to Question when a family members dies and the kid goes home to pay respects ?

You are saying exactly what I thought you were saying....

I'm willing to take the Kid's/Family's word on this one.... If he's somewhere else... He's gotta have a solid reason.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Then we must agree to disagree. We don't have the kid's/family's word on anything...just a rumor about a sick relative. I would take their word on it if I had it.

I am not questioning a decision to take care of a sick relative - I'm questioning that there is one in the first place. If you can't substantiate that there even is one, then stop using it in your arguments.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Pig and I don't agree on much, but we agree here.

We don't have to but we should.

It's there personal choice to air their private life... and I wish to respect their privacy, As I would want my privacy respected.....

If you had a family member gravely ill, do you think a stranger in Iowa would have the right to question you on it's legitmate nature ?

Michael Auchard 3 years, 4 months ago

This is the least factual column I've read in a long time. Is there a motive here or something? What is this? Tom, I'm actually embarrassed for you, man.

Andrew Moore 3 years, 4 months ago

I have to say that I'm disappointed that Keegan feels this way about Berglund. However, I don't think he should have printed this kind of piece about a guy who has yet to do anything "wrong." He decided not to partake in spring ball, IMO, not a big deal for an incoming freshman. Then he chose not to partake in "voluntary" practices and drills. Honestly, give the guy a break. There could be a million reasons as to why he isn't on campus yet. Drawing conclusions like Keegan did is incredibly premature.

Does Keegan have an agenda? I wouldn't think so, but the way this article is written it appears that he may.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

He absolutely has an agenda.

Clicks. Comments. Traffic.

And it's working.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

No doubt.

The theory: Even bad publicity is good publicity. I still don't like the approach, even if it works. If there were another local paper, I'd be reading it.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Been reading this site for a while now... and I have learned with which to take the information.....

Newell.... Stats, and insight.

Tait.... Creative Angles, and insight.

Bedore.... Short tidbits of information usually only about basketball.

Keegan..... Boisterous Prose. Sometimes Boisterous is not even the right word. I think previous poster hit it on the head with Sub-tabloid.

His purpose is to get here and get us hostile, and He's done that masterfully. Does it have Journalistic ethics, h*ll No. Neither did his Articles on Sherron Collin's yearly weight bubble, or any of the other Countless articles that Keegan has written that inflamed the masses. This, and only this we can give him Credit for, he brought us together.

This load of Pile has one basic premise. Brock Berglund will never suit up for our Program. That can be proven or dis-proven shortly enough...... If he suits up for us, Keegan will still have the comfort of knowing he doesn't care genuinely about what his audience thinks. If he's right then, there might be a slightly bit of Bravado in a future piece about another questionable recruit faltering on his commitment ( the " I've been right before....." argument.... ) Not sure what the flies hovering this Pile are gaining from this, however.

So what it comes down to, really for me is this..... Don't expect Berglund to start opening day. This is likely Jordan Webb's ship to sail for the as far as the eye can see.

No matter which way this Berglund saga goes there is one thing and one thing only we should take out of this.... Tom Keegan cares enough about his job here to consistently throw our local players under the bus, and does not have the apparent confidence in his work to Stand by his words when he's called out. In my mind, his Insights aren't worth the toilet paper their scribbled on.

rockchalkjjjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It's past time for Keegan to pack up and head out of Lawrence. Let's be serious here. Keegan has not, now, or ever for that matter, been one to strive to boost the University of Kansas athletics. In all reality he knows very little about most of the stuff he writes about. It's all sensationalism and don't forget about me kind of immature jibber-jabber. Basically National Enquirer level efforts. We've all given him slack to this point but with new blood in at AD and things changing, I think it's time for the last couple of outsiders to be purged. And if he thinks Dolph and LJW wouldn't consider the notion of showing him the door........excuse me, um, while I.......wah-ha-ha-ha.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

So who should he compare himself to? Sage rosenfeld? Give the kid a little wiggle room, he was asked the question and answered it. And where is the editorial on the 20 plus other recruits not yet on campus?

namder 3 years, 4 months ago

My guess is Keegan has his sources and knows what what he's talking about. If you would all clean the phog off of your rose colored glasses and pay attention to the timeline of events you too could connect the dots.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Responding to rockchalk1990, you raise a good point. 18 year-old kids aren't politicians, and they're not accustomed to being interviewed by sportswriters. They field odd and unexpected questions, and they blurt out answers. It's a piece of cake for a sportswriter to use a kid's exact words to make him look bad. I don't know anything about Berglund, but he deserves a chance to prove himself.

I recall being interviewed quite some time ago and responding to an offhand question by using the word "finese" as it related to my playing style. When the article showed up in the newspaper, my answer sounded cocky. My KU coaches gave me crap for a week. "Mr. Finese", they called me. Because of the way the article was written, I couldn't blame then for teasing me. But, it was embarrassing. It was just an innocent, kneejerk answer to an unexpected question.

By the way Keegan, quarterbacks need to be a little bit cocky. If Berglund is a bit TOO COCKY to suit you, don't worry about it. KU's defensive players will knock the "extra" cockiness right out of him in just a few weeks. This problem will take care of itself.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Referencing your comment about Berglund's "attendance". I don't know if Berglund is committed or not, but his decision to live at home in Denver for the summer means nothing.

Why wouldn't a kid pack up and move to Lawrence for three or four months prior to his freshman season for conditioning? First, how about MONEY? There aren't a half dozen kids in this freshman class that could afford to move to Lawrence for the summer. Most of them are living at home and working a summer job, trying to save enough money to keep gas in their car during the upcoming school year. Secondly, after working a summer job or doing other things during his last days in his home town, every freshman player is working out in the evenings. Berglund undoubtedly has access to facilities, and he probably has more friends in Denver who are college players than he would have at this point in Lawrence. It's silly to think that Lawrence is the only place where conditioning can happen. Finally, there's an implication that a kid might get some "KU specific" training or coaching, if he comes to Lawrence. If a bomb goes off near the KU practice facilities in the summertime, not a single KU football coach will be hurt. They're not allowed to coach the kids during the summer time. I'd bet Keegan's next paycheck, however, that a player of Berglund's caliber, in a City like Denver, has ready access to professional or college quarterbacks or other coaches to mentor him. He has everything he needs in Denver to come prepared, in August, for two-a-days.

Berglund may never show up in Lawrence. In that respect, Keegan may be right. That's not the point. The point is that a professional journalist who covers football should have enough subject matter knowledge to make valid observations. If he's gonna criticize a player, he needs to know what he's talking about. By itself, Berglund's decision to stay in Denver this summer means nothing.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Keegan: you are a hack.

This article is disgusting.

Please go fail at something... somewhere else. Perhaps male-modeling... in Manhattan.

Kawatchi 3 years, 4 months ago

This is lazy. If Keegan has facts to back up what he is saying, he should present them. Instead, he dumps it out here as "commentary". I realize we should not expect top notch journalism from our small town local paper, but this is just weak. Keegan must be having a bad year and taking it out on everyone associated with KU athletics.

CLFan 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm honestly disgusted by this article. Bad string of articles for Keegan. Who do you think you are? Your journalism skills have been diminished to a poor angry writer who seeks to stir the pot by criticizing. I'm sorry for the criticism myself, but I've had enough of this writing.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

We only need issue apology if he apologizes for giving mis-information when he is wrong.

He has never given one mea culpa, Jhaux.

Tom's an arrogant, opinionated, self-serving journalist. Until he proves otherwise, he shall be treat appropriately.

gongs4ku 3 years, 4 months ago

Keegan puts his behind on the line when he writes 'commentary.' Good for him. His job is to write about the news in an interesting fashion, and this is interesting. Unless he lies, why the fuss?

Then again my expectations for KU football in the next several years are exacty nihl, so no bad news particularly bothers me. Maybe some of you guys thought this Berglund guy was going to win us a big 12 title, or something, and this is a huge letdown?

vd 3 years, 4 months ago

What's this? A FB article? Why not a KSU BB recruiting article? How about an article on OU BB? Oops, just saw it. How about an article on NU BB. How was Doc's recruiting class? We need more BB articles, fewer FB articles. Who cares about KU FB. What is Chenowith doing now?

DeeBeeBam 3 years, 4 months ago

Scott Murphy 3 years, 4 months ago

First let me say that this article is very irresponsible and unprofessional and Keegan should loose his job over it!! I seriously can't believe that this article is still posted on this site, embarrassing.

Now for what it's worth I talked to the father of Brock's future roommate tonight and asked him point blank about whether or not Brock was still coming to KU and he said as far as he has heard yes and indeed there is a sick relative involved in the equation.

Lastly I think someone needs to set up a Fire Tom Keegan website, it finally worked for Katie Horner so maybe we can get rid of this fat piece of garbage!!

DeeBeeBam 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, I just finished reading the remainder of the comments above. How clueless can KU fans possibly be? Brock is not coming to Lawrence. Forget about it already! Get a clue and read the writing on the wall for god's sake! Keegan is correct and it's a blessing in disguise.

DeeBeeBam 3 years, 4 months ago

murphsco, Forget about it. I have no idea what Keegan's sources are, but they are much better than your made up story about Brock's future roommates father. He's not coming to KU.

amatxjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Bergland will play at KU and win the Hiesman long before Keegan becomes either competent, or relevant, as a sports writer.

DeeBeeBam 3 years, 4 months ago

Brock will end up at Mesa State or CSU Pueblo for a year or two before quitting college altogether. Seriously, put your money where you mouth is before you start ragging on Keegan. Brock will not play Div I football. MARK MY WORDS

DeeBeeBam 3 years, 4 months ago

kureader (anonymous) says…

I'm just sayin' reporters like Keegan can write whatever they want, but it would be nice if they and the LJW editors used more discretion when talking about student athletes. At least wait until the student/athlete does something wrong to bash him and don't take advantage of the kid's inexperience when you quote him. ........

R u blind? Subscribe to one of the pay boards and you'd know more about what this "kid" has done wrong.

jartiv 3 years, 4 months ago

The best writing on this page is the Keegan bashing. The commentary is crap, but the commentary on the commentary is great! Keegan, I think you finally found something you're good at other than 4th of July Wiener Eating Contests, and eating hot dogs.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Getting great insight for not even pennies by making a completely frivolous piece of baby drool.

The sad fact is, We have good journalists available to do stories.... and the Sports Editor prances around like Nero.

Jamaal25Chiefs 3 years, 4 months ago

You people should probably get to know him before you EVER jump to conclusions. . . When pictures from less than a week ago of him Wearing a Kansas polo shirt on facebook? . . . Come on people. . . Lets END the rumors. . . And act like grown ups please? . . . My god, if he can uncommit from one school, he would do it again. . . He is spending time with a sick family member. . . Let him be in peace, and enjoy the moments in life he may never get back. . . .

vd 3 years, 4 months ago

If Brock shows up and plays will he ever talk to the LJW? If he does become a stud will the LJW ever get access to him? If you were BB would you ever give an interview to the LJW?

Steve Corder 3 years, 4 months ago

Mr Keegan must have been mentored by Chuck Woodling.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe. It seems to me that Chuck was more "edgy" later in his career. Of course, when Chuck was Keegan's age, there was no internet. And, LJW didn't have a corner on the newpaper market. The Topeka Capital was much more visible then. Many people, right in Lawrence, subscribed to the Topeka Capital. And the LJW didn't have that big of a subscription base outside the Lawrence area. Kansas Citians and people from Wichita read their own local newspapers. In other words, newspaper editors and sportswriters had to behave themselves, because readers had more options.

There also weren't 57 LJW sports reporters in Chuck's time. Chuck and one or two guys did all the articles. There's alot more sports coverage by the LJW now. There's alot to read ... things that won't be covered by other newspapers of blogs outside Lawrence.

It was also not fashionable for a newspaper to go "sub-tabloid" on a college athlete. Most newspapers were "above" that.

I thought Chuck was OK. He worked hard. Times have changed. And, some of LJW's stuff is really good ... especially from writers like Tait.

Geezer 3 years, 4 months ago

Keegan and the Journal World both owe this kid an apology. A truly embarrassing pile of garbage masquerading as commentary.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 4 months ago

Keegan's right folks. This isn't "speculation." And yes, he hears stuff. From players. From coaches. From athletic department administrators. They talk to him on the condition on anonymity. They don't want to lose their jobs.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program of sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.

mmlaughsatnerds 3 years, 4 months ago

Those that don't like the article aren't pumping sunshine, they're upset with Keegan's approach. Anyone that has followed the program has known there is a chance Berglund might not show up since last spring. On top of that, Matt Tait wrote a measured and researched article on the same topic 2 days ago. Keegan, by all appearances, was trying to upstage one of his junior writers. I'm not happy Berglund hasn't been around recently and wish there weren't questions about his commitment to the program. But, I really don't think those are transgressions worth the scorn that Keegan heaped on him. I honestly can't remember a KU athlete getting singled out in this fashion since JR Giddens. We're talking about an 18 year old that hasn't even started fall practices yet...was all of this really necessary?

Geezer 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't overlook all of the hyperbole associated with the "Battle of Wescoe Beach".

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

Phogfan86, I think this is redundant, I think. Again, posters generally agree that Keegan's conclusion could be "correct". That doesn't make him right. This article was all wrong.

chalky 3 years, 4 months ago

The word conjecture was used in the article......and that is really all the entire article was. Matt Tait was mentioned too. The only time we will ever see his name associated with a hatchet job like this, is if you mention it in your next write too. Good luck Brock in whatever you chose to do.

Carolyn Troupe 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with 99 percent of you. This article is trash. One point though in reference to Brock, his girlfriend (whom he seems to have trouble leaving). Didn't I read a couple of days ago that she was going to U. of Georgia?

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

Once more, Keegan makes enough sense in an unpopular view on a subject that all the nose-up-butt bloggers here are having trouble dealing with the fact that

-------- he probably is right ----------

Not just once, but three times and more, Bucky Bugland (or something like that) has squandered what could&should have been advantages in the transition from a sub-marginal high school program to the rigors of Div I, where players actually have to produce against top flight competition.

Each year, many players from small, low visibility high schools succeed in that transition, but they aren't the ones who start out with the attitude that nothing less than mass adoration of his dubious-until-proven talents will be acceptable lest he take his cojones back where they're better appreciated.

The biggest reason for so many to trash my (and Keeg's) opinion is most don't want to admit how foolish they were to keep hanging on to the idea of, "Well, we got a kid with at least some kind of ★rating★ to brag about."

Geezer 3 years, 4 months ago

That's ridiculous. Most are objecting to the manner and tone that a newspaper editor took to rip an 18 year old kid that hasn't even played a down of KU football. As far as I know the kid isn't fathering kids out of wedlock or holding up liquor stores and he may still choose to attend the university. If you choose to defend Keegan and this column then you must also defend this unsubstantiated hatchet job on an 18 year old prospective student.

newjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

movethechains 3 years, 4 months ago

The "sub marginal" football program he came from- -has won won two state championships in three years of varsity play - has six different juniors presently with D1 offers (one kid with 21) - won the KU 7'7 last sumer beating KS defending champ in finals - the two DL coaches played 22 years in the NFL - the LB coach played at Nebraska - the TE coach played at Ohio State - the OL coached played with the Jets - the head coach came from a program in CA that was # 7 in USA and won the state of CA his last year - that program produced 22 D1 players in its last six years

"sub marginal?"

jaydee909 3 years, 4 months ago

Berglund will be a Jayhawk this fall.

squawkhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Only a fool wouldn't have seen that one coming!

squawkhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Only a fool wouldn't have seen that one coming!

Steven Mathew 3 years, 4 months ago

Sadly, I'm thinking this is going to be one HUGE down year...or two. If Jordan Webb doesn't improve this year, it's not going to be fun watching KU football the next 3 years.

squawkhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

That certainly is something to look forward too...fewer blowouts! That will fill the stands.

Tim Bingaman 3 years, 4 months ago

I think we could use a "Vicktebowmanning" running the offense! Kids got bravado!!!!

Come back to KU Brock! Even if you are just a Vickmanning, you can beat out Webb!

strongbadia 3 years, 4 months ago

as someone who has provided digital marketing strategy to companies way, way bigger than dolphs baby, its almost funny how little of an idea they have about generating the 'right types of traffic' or how to deliver value to advertisers. If I'm el mezcal, or any of these companies buying ad space here, I'd strongly reconsider.

Keep pissing people off, and see what happens to your click-to-conversion rates.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 4 months ago

Dear Keegan,

For once put your money where your friggin fat mouth is. You write all the crap for LJW and no one likes you and most people would be glad if you left.

If Brock starts one game during his time while at KU you quit the LJW and never write for another KU paper or have anything to do with KU again.

What you say? Come down from your ivory tower of bs and man up for once because it is time we didn't have to hear your crap anymore.

Kirk 3 years, 4 months ago

At least Keegan is a better writer, sentence to sentence, than any posters here or on the football message board. We can say that much for certain.

I do wish he'd substantiate his breezier claims -- BB's teammates don't like him, etc.

But generally the bar is pretty low for sports columnists. And I get the feeling that the article is pretty much true, or Keegan wouldn't have written it.

As for the (unsubstantiated) claim that everyone hates Keegan, a hundred (at the very most) message board posters (with massive quantities of discretionary time on their hands to thoroughly waste) probably aren't representative of the full readership.

jartiv 3 years, 4 months ago

"And I get the feeling that the article is pretty much true, or Keegan wouldn't have written it."

Does Keegan write scripture? Pay attention to the discussion here: the people commenting on this article are pissed because they expected what you expected, that "Keegan is a better writer, sentence to sentence, than any posters here or on the football message board."

You refer to the "posters" here and "football message board" people as if we were some uneducated lot of Leet speaking trolls. Well, we do Leet speak, and we do troll. But generally, we know what we're talking about, because we troll. And I am willing to say that we are representative of the full readership, because all we want is factual writing, not this rumor mill that we can spark up on the boards ourselves.

Let me take you back to your most ridiculous claim: "And I et the feelin that the article is pretty much true, or Keegan wouldn't have written it." Say that out loud.

Kirk 3 years, 4 months ago

Your spittle spraying, ranting vitriol and complete inability to communicate civilly IS representative of the tiny subset of ku fans who post here.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 4 months ago

ahhh, Tom Keegan. What would it take to run you out of town?

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 4 months ago

This is comment number 166 on this article. Keegan's job is safe!

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Berglund just acts cocky. Maybe there is the family issue. Maybe he is uncertain and unsure. Give it time to work out and the young man might do great things. Hopefully his head will be in the right place. If so, his heart will follow.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 4 months ago

A+

You'd think double checking to make sure the kid isn't in town might have crossed his mind. Not Keegs. He just blindly saunters forward like a drunken sailor, looking to find some 3am toothless back-alley amusement, only to end up with Gonorrhea the next morning. Over and over again, he writes some opinion piece, only to be proven a moron the next day.

Do they pay this guy because he's uninformed and too dumb to recognize it?