Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lopsided loss headache for Wildcats

Tyshawn Taylor and Brady Morningstar scramble for a loose ball against the Wildcats Rodney McGruder (22) during the second half of the Jayhawks' game against the Kansas State Wildcats, Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Former KU star Wayne Simien had his jersey retired in a halftime ceremony at the game.

Videos

KU vs. Kansas State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Kansas State 90-66 on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 90-66 victory over Kansas State on Jan. 29, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KSU coach Frank Martin

Kansas State coach Frank Martin talks to reporters following KU's 90-66 victory over the Wildcats on Jan. 29, 2011.

Download podcast

In the postgame news conference, Kansas State coach Frank Martin was asked for something his team could learn from Saturday’s 90-66 loss to Kansas University.

“The importance of aspirin,” Martin said.

The Wildcats coach wasn’t the only one feeling the pain after KSU’s worst loss to KU since 2007.

Senior guard Jacob Pullen said the contest was “up there” in his ranking of worst losses at KSU.

“I thought it was a dunk contest for a while,” Pullen said. “I thought we had stopped playing and just started watching them dunk.”

KU’s 61.8 field-goal percentage was the highest allowed by KSU this season.

“This year, we just ... we can’t guard,” Pullen said. “We give up easy buckets. We give up layups.”

Most of KU’s offensive production came from inside, as the Jayhawks scored 48 points in the paint. KU forwards Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, Thomas Robinson and Mario Little combined for 53 points on 22-for-30 shooting (73.3 percent).

“It didn’t look too good, really, for our bigs today,” KSU sophomore guard Rodney McGruder said.

KSU played the entire second half without preseason first-team All-Big 12 selection Curtis Kelly, and Martin refused to comment on why the 6-foot-8 senior forward didn’t make it in.

The Wildcats also were miserable offensively in the first half. KSU shot just 7-for-36 before halftime (19.4 percent), its worst shooting effort in a first half this season.

Pullen said there were even instances coming out of timeouts when the Wildcats didn’t know which play they were running.

KSU started slowly, falling behind 15-2 after the first 61⁄2 minutes.

“It’s something that seems like it always happens when you walk into this building,” Pullen said. “They usually don’t miss in the beginning, and they capitalize off your turnovers and your bad shots. For us, it happened again.”

Martin also sensed another pattern with his team’s trips to Lawrence.

“I told (KU coach) Bill (Self) I’d appreciate it if they stopped losing before we play here at Allen Fieldhouse,” Martin said. “It always does that. Before we come here, they lose a game, and we always get the (ticked)-off version of Kansas.”

Comments

jcepp 3 years, 8 months ago

You never see a preseason top 5 team fall all the way to the NIT.

Oh wait. . .except for Roy's boys.

Epic Fail.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years, 8 months ago

Didn't they even have to buy their way into the NIT that year?

Funhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe Izzo and Frank need to talk. Wonder what Roy would say. I think UNC was pre-season Top 10.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 8 months ago

Well UNC was top 10 this year before they dropped off the map but now they have climbed to 2nd in the ACC..5-1 and 15-5 overall. So for all you Roy haters, you can expect to see UNC playing in the NCAA. Time to let it go...

Chris Bruning 3 years, 8 months ago

well how did analyst's ever see this team as being good, i've called overrated from day one, and not just because they are a rival, well sort of. This team is no good, no good at all.

I also didn't realize that Dicky V picked us to finish 5th in the league, until he mentioned it during the game....WOW. go back to math teaching guy.

s6u6r6f 3 years, 8 months ago

Wonderful sportsmanship displayed by both teams. Classy play. And a sweet blowout. Well done, hawks. Rock chalk.

AZJayhwk79 3 years, 8 months ago

Jayhawks finally showed that killer instinct that has been missing. Great job, hawks!

JayhawkPiller82 3 years, 8 months ago

Good point AZJ79, and maybe it's not so much the killer instinct as much as they've learned an incredible life lesson from the unfortunate events of this last week: make every moment count because you never know what will happen in the future. Our team is so talented that we just know well win in the end. They had forgotten the importance of moment as they were happening. Like every possession wasn't an opportunity to advance. It's not so much a killer instinct, which IS important in competition, as it is importance to be diligent with every opportunity. I think our guys 'get it now". They’re closer, they depend on one another more, which at the end of the day makes a better TEAM....and that's what Kansas Basketball is all about!! RCJH.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 8 months ago

I knew this KSU team was not going to be as good as the pre-season predictions, especially without Clemente. Clemente took so much pressure/attention off of Pullen and vice versa.

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 8 months ago

Sutton was very important on the defensive end for them as well last year.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 8 months ago

Some had said that about Marcus this year without Cole drawing attention away from him. The biggest difference between Pullen and Marcus is the supporting cast. Seriously, what other school can lose guys like Cole and Sherron and still be so dominant? Absolutely amazing the job that Coach Self does. Complete coach- recruiting, coaching, mentoring.

Steve Corder 3 years, 8 months ago

Great win. Beginning to doubt that we'll catch UT.

I hope Selby stays. It would be interesting to see just how good he can get, given good coaching and experience. He's no where near NBA standards (except when scouts use the adjective "potential"), but throw enough money and praise at the youngster and who could resist? Dicky V & Bobby K. are right about Selby needing more college time.

Watching Frank Martin this year versus previous: Seems like he's toned-down the bench intensity. Losing can humble a coach real fast and bring doubts into play. He seems to realize he doesn't have the team he thought. Has he "lost" his team? He gave Robinson big hug a couple of times. Classy, some things transcend the KU- K-State rivalry.

Taylor's spot-on about what it takes to make a rivalry, and 41 of 43 victories is not much of a rivalry.

Years from now people will refer to this time as the Bill Self era. KU is so fortunate to have a man and coach of his caliber. Incredible!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully A&M can beat them at home. They should still be smarting at losing @ Neb.

rockchalk_dpu 3 years, 8 months ago

It's looking tough to catch Texas for sure, but remember there's only been one team to go undefeated in conference, and it was a battle for us with lots of close calls. It's hard to win every game in the conference, especially the second games against your division opponents. The best thing we can do now though is take care of our business and see what happens.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey, Frank-----Alieve works great for me---it lasts up to 8 hours!

@ bb73----I wouldn't want to give the 1st place trophy to Texas yet----still lots of battles.

Hawks did look good yesterday----and, I hope Dick Vitale gets the memo----you have to do a little research before you make predictions for the preseason!

The game at Texas Tech----two places that we have stumbled in the past-----Stillwater, Oklahoma and Lubbock, Texas------got to crush that bugaboo on Tuesday! Nice job, Jayhawks! Rock Chalk!

gchawk 3 years, 8 months ago

KU_Fan, the funny thing about Vitale, he was talking about how the "experts" were picking KSU to win the Big 12, plus expecting them to do very well overall, yet he didn't mention that HE also picked them to win the Big 12, only the "experts".

gchawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Opps, just read where Dicky did own up to his preseason prediction, my bad.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

who the heck does pullen think he is, giving those answers and saying stuff that should be said by only a coaching staff. throwing his bigs and head coach under the buss like that. . . i get the feeling wildcat nation built him up and he is starting to believe their hype. jp, you a decent player on a bad team. check that, you a decent shooter on a team that runs every play through you.

have a feeling this young man is going to get a reality check next year when he is playing in a 2000 seat cigarette smoke filled arena in istanbul next year.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 8 months ago

Wait a minute.....did someone hack into ahpersecoachingexperiences' account?

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

I thought this was the best all-around performance by the hawks year to date. The focus was definitely there yesterday.

Super impressed with Tyshawns play....he just let the game come to up. No force plays...I've also noticed he's driving to the hoop with his head on a swivel lately, as opposed to driving & only looking to pass when he gets in trouble.

There were a few questionable calls on the Twins....but I was really impressed to see them just walk away and not be pouty about it. I can guarantee you the league refs talk about these guys, and they are under a microscope on EVERY PLAY. Refs hate whiners....so it's best for the twins to keep on, keepin on when they get a questionable call against them.

What's happening with Elijah? I thought he had a bad game...but looking at the stat line, he had 6 assists & 1 turnover? Talk about under the radar.

I guess TReleford had a little more than just an ankle sprain after all.

I wish Self would have gotten Withey some bang time after the game was decided....but oh well....that ship has sailed for this year anyway.

Texas shouldn't lose a conference game.....but then again, it's hard to go 16-0 in this league......at least if Texas wins the league, KU can still win the tourney.

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

I am interested to hear everyone's top 4 teams in the nation. I know it is early for Number 1 Seeds, but if the Tournament started to day, this would be my top 4 teams:

1. Kansas
  2. Duke
  3. Ohio Stae
  4. Texas

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

1. Texas
  2. Ohio State
  3. Duke
  4. Kansas

I really like Pittsburg too....

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

I did not rank Texas higher because they have 3 losses. I do think they are a hot team now. Cannot wait to see what Ohio State does when Jared Sullinger get into foul trouble. Duke is not the same without Kyrie Irving. KU blitzed Texas until they ran out of gas physically and emotionally.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

1. Ohio St.
  2. Duke
  3. Texas
  4. Pitt
  5. Kansas
  6. UConn
  7. SD State
  8. Villanova If the tourney started today ... but it doesn't start today.

When all is done, a little bracketology as of the start of the tourney: 1. Duke 2. Ohio St. 3. Pittsburg 4. Kansas 5. SD State 6. Kentucky 7. Texas 8. UConn

brooksmd 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah baby. Love it when someone hands it to the Dookies. Great game St John's.

Joe Ross 3 years, 8 months ago

1. Kansas
  2. Ohio State
  3. Texas
  4. Duke

I think this is the best combination of current rankings and RPI. So if the season ended today...

Paul Brozik 3 years, 8 months ago

Was Frank talking about the importance of aspirin for headaches or heart attacks. This team may give him both.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 8 months ago

• Great coverage by ESPN on the TRob tragedy.
  • Tyshawn played like we need Selby to play....driving to the basket and breaking down the D.
  • Selby.....Sorry but I know the potential is there, but when the white freshman from Kstate did a simple move to the right and went past Selby for a lay-up I don't know if the potential is shining. He's a good shooter, but where is the finishing? Couple bad plays in transition as well.
  • Withey. I feel bad for my fellow San Diegan. Self has him on a verrrrrrry short leash.
  • Morris twins....love these guys. I will be bummed if this is the last year,
  • Dickie V. Admitted how wrong he was, but this only showed he spent 2 minutes giving his b12 predictions versus hard analysis. I guess he saves his brain power for the ACC.
  • Classy move by Pullen. I really like this kid. I liked him before but great how he made the comments even though is in the process of finding out where they will be playing on selection sunday (NIT Selection show ESPNU).
  • Mario Little. Gargage man. Nice to have the 6-8 ppg with limited minutes.
  • Reed. Actually has been playing a bit sloppy on the offensive end, especially driving to the basket. Charge or turnovers.... Least of my worries, he will correct it. -TTech, not the dormat of the b12, having a respectable conf season. I actually root for Knight to keep his job. I am a big fan on his dad.
  • Unrelated:
    SDSU rebounds from BYU loss, with a 39 pt victory versus a weak Wyoming team. 17 threes, school record. BYU also sent down so SDSU is back in the drivers seat. Extremely interested in the rankings Monday. Here's a shot at it.

• Ohio State.

• Duke
  • Texas (impressive win at KU, Ok St, and at home vs Mizzou)
  • KU (understandable loss to Tx, big wins at CU and vs Kst)
  • Pitt (loss to ND, rebound vs Rutgers)
  • SDSU (tough loss to BYU, strong rebound at home vs Wyomin)
  • Uconn (lose to Louisville)
  • BYU (beat SDSU, lose to NMex
  • Nova (SDSU won by 10+ at the Pit, which BYU lost by 10, SDSU still higher ranked).

My one seeds- Duke, Ohio St, Winner of Big East Tourney (Uconn or Pitt), and Winner of b12 tourney (KU or Tx)

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank you! I like the way you looked at the one seeds.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

It will be interesting who San Diego State gets in the first round of the Tournament. I would hate to play them in the first or second rounds. I saw them against BYU and they really impressed me, even though they lost.

blooblzr 3 years, 8 months ago

Really now, what does the color of the skin on the "white" fresman have to do with anythin?????

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 8 months ago

Will Spradling. If you have watched much ksu, he is actually very good. He has made a lot of players look bad already this season. I have a nephew who attends ksu and he says Spradling gets very little respect (on-court) from the fans. He thinks its because he is white and many people think white kids are not as good in basketball.......just his opinion. BTW, my nephew thinks Spradling is very good and is his favorite player on the team.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 8 months ago

Will be pulling for the Aggies tomorrow night!!!!!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Me too! If Texas wins this game, well. . . . . .

CasperCorps 3 years, 8 months ago

this win was more the opponent then our Hawks.. I love the Jayhawks but Kstate played zero defense... We won't get the big twelve this year unless Texas looses twice... To who? Maybe Nebraska? We still have the Big Twelve Tournament

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

i think we share it even if there is a tie with texas. someone know for sure.

KingManMan 3 years, 8 months ago

ahper: I believe you are correct. KU would share the conference title with Texas but TU would receive the #1 seed in the Big 12 Tourney.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 8 months ago

It would be a tie if we have the same record but UT would be seeded #1 in the Tournament.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 8 months ago

Frank is actually funny--who would have guessed?

kureader 3 years, 8 months ago

I didn't see them, but according to LJW there were SIX basketball recruits in the crowd yesterday ... what an awesome time to embarrass K-State ... and all on national TV.

As for Dickie V ... a little bit of him goes a long way. How he could pick KU to finish 5th in the Big 12 is beyond me. He did redeem himself a bit with his apology yesterday.

And Frank Martin ... I don't like the guy. He looks like a serial killer. And, I thought K-State hired him simply to keep Beasely from bailing after Huggins' departure. Frank Martin is proving some of us wrong. The guy can recruit and despite yesterday's debacle, he's proven that he can coach. Not just that, it looks like he's developing some class and maturity. He had every right to go ballistic yesterday over K-State's play, but he kept his composure. A couple years ago, he would have lost it. He also took TRob aside after the game and gave him some words of encouragement. He also handled his post game interview with some class and even a bit of humor. I hope K-State loses every game on the rest of their schedule, but I'm gonna have to give Martin a little more respect. Clearly from Bill Self's pregame greeting and chat with Martin, you can see that Self respects him too (there will be a stark contrast next week when Self greets Anderson, MU's Head Coach ... just watch).

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 8 months ago

Coach Self and Anderson actually get along pretty well. You have not paid attention.

pumpkinboy 3 years, 8 months ago

I like the increased focus of having the guards drive to the basket. It seems to open up so much for interior passing and getting the bigs in position for dunks and put-backs. We have some quick guards that can finish at the hoop so all they need is good screen and a cleared out driving lane. Mixing that in with the normal high/low posts makes a great combination. It looks like Coach Self is evolving the game plan as the season progresses. Great job all around against the Mildcats.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

K-State was really classy the way everything was handled last night.

I've been on the subject of our lack a point guard with any real creating ability and that being a fact that seems to hold this team back. I noted on another thread that TT only had 2 assists last night; EJ had 6 in 13 minutes. ict noted that none of EJ's were the "creating" type assists. I would agree. I missed one of TTs, but the other was kick to the wing for a 3.

This is a look at assists only .. not considering defense.

As comparison, I looked at Mario, RR, and Sherron from 2008, Miles from his senior year of 05 (the gold standard) and of 03, and our top 4 assist guys this season.

Players - AssistsPerGame - AssistsToMinutes - AssistsToTurnovers TT - 4.9 - .177 - .174 Selby - 3.1 - .155 - 1.00 Brady - 2.6 - .110 - 2.07 EJ - 2.3 - .162 - 2.86 Mario - 4.3 - .144 - 2.25 RR - 4.1 - .147 - 1.95 Sherron - 3.1 - .129 - 1.54 Miles 05 - 7.2 - .217 - 2.35 Miles 03 - 6.4 - .208 - 1.98

As a note, Miles averaged 9.3 points per game in 05 and 8.9 in 03 (by comparison, TT is 8.9)

Our assists per game for this team is 1 assist less per game vs. 08, and it gets a touch worse when you compare the 4th guys on each team (Reed vs. Rush). However, both teams had/have 18 teams assists per game.

My question is -- am I off base in saying this team is dying for a creator at the point? That Self's main task, offensively, should be determining the best creator for the point, and putting that guy on the ball 3/4 of the game?

I think this is an important component, and it relates to the Brady discussion a bit.

My big consideration is when points don't come easy. When we are matched by a team with equal bigs. When we are being defended (see the Nebraska game). What do we have as an answer, as another option to create points?

Part of the Brady discussion was -- he's not a guy in crunch time, in a big game, that we can rely upon as another scoring option. And if the rotation is short, we're stuck. And so it relates here.

In a tight game, who can create a basket? Who can drive and dish? Who can slash, penetrate, and dump for lob dunk? And this is the big difference vs. 08 -- RR, Mario, and Sherron created. Sherron was not the man .. he was a better passer that year than as a senior. And RR and Mario were constantly looking to create. Different types of assists and different mindset.

Despite the fact he is a freshman, despite the fact that he is out of control sometimes, I would argue that moving Selby to the point right now, to develop the experience at the 1 that we need for March, is an absolute necessity. We are being slowed down by our limited play at the point, and we're going to need better in March. We're going to need the ability to provide this team another way to score. And we're lacking that now.

ParisHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

HEM, your argument seems based on the overriding importance of March. Suppose, just suppose, Coach Self still wants to win the conference (thus keeping alive a streak unmatched since Wooden's time): in that case, he has little choice but to play the cards he's dealt himself.

Do you really want Self to make his choices based strictly and uniquely on the NCAAs?

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

Well consider 1988...who was the big winner that year? Oklahoma who won the Big 8 regular season title and conference tournament, or KU who won the National Championship?

I think at an elite program like Kansas you always want to win your conference, but need to have your eyes fixed on success in March.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

ParisHawk: Yes, I want Self to make his choices based strictly and uniquely on the NCAAs. National Championships are the ultimate goal.

ParisHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

HEM, I hear you loud and clear, or as the French would say "cinq sur cinq" (which means "five on five"; I have no idea where this expression comes from but it seems appropriate in a basketball forum.)

After last year I am trying not to think that way anymore, but that's just me.

DevilHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Winning the conference is nice - but if it's a choice between winning the conference or a Final Four or better run in March/April, then I will choose the deep tournament run every single time.

Self protects the home court. Also, now that we are past the 20-win mark, we can afford to let our younger players get the necessary time to play through their mistakes.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if we do just that in our games this week @Tech and @Nebraska.

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

Great point about who can create a basket? I would love to see what Josh can do? We are going to have to find out who can step up and deliver when the season hangs in the balance. We will not make it through the Big Dance without winning at least one or two close games so somebody is going to have to step up.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

I pointed out after the game and elsewhere that I think Self has decided to address the problem you note in one of his typically slight of hand masking moves. Notice that both Brady and Selby had 4 assists a piece last night. Self has decided to relieve Tyshawn of some of the distributing burdens of the offense, by operating more and more out of the weave and having Brady and Selby actually wind up with the ball to make the passes into the guys in scoring positions. Self even went so far as to doll up the weave with an new way of initiating it--with ball screens. These two wrinkles make the weave less predictable in how it starts and the weave tends to get the ball into Selby's, or Brady's, hands to thread the needle on the passes.

I am sorry it took me awhile to figure this one out. Self has actually been doing this for awhile. The weave used to be run to shake an impact player loose to go get a basket. But more and more now the weave is run simply to transfer the ball into Selby's, or Brady's, or Tyrel's hands to make the assist pass. It dawned on me when I noticed the ball screen weave initiation for the first time. It may well have been going on in early games and I just did not recognize it. I suspect it has been going on for a game or two, now, and that it is why the wings assists have been ramping up and Tyshawns have been ramping down.

in turn, I, in particular, but others, too, need to be less strident in criticising Josh's ball handling. I, for one, have been saying that Josh has been pop tarting too much for a 3 position player. But the fact is, he has been playing what I will coin a phrase and call a "wing point." A wing point is often what the wing player becomes in the weave, and almost exclusively becomes in Self weave when initiated by a ball screen. Brady is basically doing the same thing when he comes in--playing wing point. And so one of the reasons Brady's getting so much PT lately from Self is not just that he's coming out of his slump, which he has been doing, but that he is holding his TOs very low despite, playing more and more wing point.

My hunch right now is that each game Self looks at the MUs on the perimeter and decides whether the action will be intiated through Tyshawn, or through the wing points.

Tyrel, who could also perform this wing point function quite well, and may have been doing it some games before I began to recognize the tactic, seemed to be the designated shooter in the tactic, rather than the wing point.

The more the offense is initiated through the wing point, the fewer pop tarts Tyshawn makes.

Unfortunately, Selby against KSU made quite a few TOs himself, so the tactic was not holding down the TOs as much as Self would hope for. That's why Brady got so many minutes and as many assists as Josh.

Or so things appear to me right now.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 8 months ago

Selby hasn't demonstrated the handles or the decision making to play point, and I think we want his primary role on this team to be a perimeter scoring threat. As such, having him on the wing vs pt let's him have the most scoring opportunities and limits the turnovers and offensive fouls to a disappointing-still, but manageable level.

Josh - don't get me wrong, I love the guy - still gets spun up like a top (or freshman), and makes some head scratcher plays. I'm speculating, but 25 percent or more of his fouls have to be charges on offense. If he were playing point, if a team pressed and he didn't cough it up or throw it away, I wouldn't be shocked to see a team foul him out picking up charges before we even got the ball across half court. I type this with a smile, as I'm not trying to be critical - he's getting more comfortable and looking better every game - but is there a record for the most charges committed per game? He'd have to be in the running. I love his being aggressive, so not complaining; we just need him to recognize and adjust a 1/2 step earlier, and I think he's getting there. I think he's still adjusting to the speed of the college game, and the fact that disciplined defenders will step up and take a charge - jerks keep screwing up his highlight reel plays. I suspect that happened very infrequently to him in high school and AAU.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

Monday's rankings just experienced another shake-up...Duke gets absolutely handled by unranked St. John's! What does that do to the rankings? Will KU move up to number 2? At least 3 I would think.

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

Updated from this morning:

1. KU
  2. Ohio State
  3. Texas
  4. Duke

I know Ohio State is undefeated, but the Big 10 is not the Big 12 or the Big East.

DevilHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

FYI: KenPom has the Big 10 at #1 (0.9007) and the Big 12 at #3 (0.8597).

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

It looks like ranked teams 2 thru 5 lost this week (and Ohio St. escaped with a one pt victory at Northwestern), so I would think KU would move up to number 2 again, not sure if Texas would be 3. Kansas again sits atop the RPI rankings after falling to no. 2 for awhile. KState is now 0-6 vs the RPI top 50, yikes!

okiedave 3 years, 8 months ago

Texas at A&M tomorrow night may decide the Big XII league championship. If Texas gets the win on A&M floor, Texas is likely to run the rest of the table based on their remaining schedule. Hoping Texas has their off night tomorrow.

JHawk74 3 years, 8 months ago

Here is the top 10 for the AP poll tomorrow: 1. Ohio State (65) 2. Texas 3. Kansas 4. Pittsburgh 5. Duke 6. UConn 7. San Diego State 8. Notre Dame 9. BYU 10. Kentucky

I think Texas deserves to be rated higher than Kansas at this point in the season since they won the game against us. I'm not sure they can beat A&M tomorrow. Ohio State looked very good this week and should keep the top spot in the poll. Duke still only has two losses and will remain in the top 5 since most of the teams in the top 10 had losses this past week. Kentucky and Notre Dame will make a jump into the top 10 this week. BYU had a huge win and a loss. But should stay in the top 10 this week with Syracuse losing four straight games. A&M and Missouri losses should keep them out of the top 10 this week.

Jayhawks looked very good yesterday and I hope they play with that kind of emotion and fire for the rest of the season. It appears Johnson and Little are the 8th and 9th players and Releford is not going to get much time the rest of the season unless there is an injury. Not sure why Self is giving Withey so many chances to get on the floor. Withey looks lost everytime he is on the floor. I wish Self would play Little or Releford more at the small forward and less of Brady but I guess that is not going to happen.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

The reasons why I knew we would blow out the "Cats as soon as I took my seat Saturday.

1] Crowd decible level hit about 118 dbs which is equivalent to a jet engine. 2] As part of the Coaches for cancer, our coaching staff looked great in sneakers....the KSU staff didn't. Frank must wear a size 24!! 3] Erin Andrews kept doing hair tosses to distract the Wildcat bench. 4] Pullen carried a pocket mirrror and watched himself as he shot. 5] The Wildcat big men thought it was pinball and you got points for hitting the hoop!! 6] The signs for TRob were fantastic...my favorite.."here's to you, Mrs. Robinson" 7] Wayne Simeon was gracious, eloquent and kept his speech to about a quarter of the length of his Senior Night Farewell. 8] Dickie V said he was misquoted, indicating "he would drink a fifth for KU as 2011-2012 Champions. 9] Kansas NEVER loses two games in a row in Allen under HCBS's watch. 10] It was Kansas State, you know!!!!

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

"Some Things KSU Players Can Expect This Week"

-Jacob Pulllen will be comped an NIT shirt with a bullet hole in it and told to wear it, or else.

~Curtis Kelly will wake up to the head of an experimental cow in his bed and Coach Martin will say sleep with it, or else.

~Coach Martin will channel Charlie "Poppa Muggo" Huggins to come down out of the back country in eastern Ohio and Charlie will ask who is President these days, and then put in a few new wrinkles in the offense he invented, and gave to his son, Bob "Huggo Muggo" Huggins, that Coach Martin adopted, and Coach Martin will tell his players, "Learn the new plays, or else."

~Coach Martin will say the malaise in KSU basketball is systemic and order a ROTC officer to march the KSU cheerleaders march across the Flint Hills in full field packs and plaid flannel bras and panties from Cabela's singing:

"This the Octogon of Womb, No one gets out or in too soon, Sound off, one, two, Sound off, three-four..."

~Jammar Samuels will be taken to Tuttle Creek reservoir and ordered to submerge and hold his breath under water for 2 minutes, while a graduate assistant fires live rounds from a Glock, or else.

~The rest of the team will be given pink game jerseys and pink game shorts and told they will wear them until they win a game, or else.

~KSU mascot Willie the Wildcat will be taken to a dark warehouse on the edge of town and three of his claws will be pulled out with pliers by three men answering to Raul, Reynaldo, and Erik the Viking; then he will be told to yell harder, or else.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 8 months ago

Frank Martin will not be the coach at ksu next year.

JayhawkBigXII 3 years, 8 months ago

Frank Martin is losing games. The next step is to have some kid document his abusive behavior, release the information to the press... then KSU negotiates his resignation. Isn't that how it works?

Matt1958 3 years, 8 months ago

When I see a ralster comment, why do my eyes always gravitate to the left side of the comment? I almost feel sorry for KSU. (I knew I couldn't say that with a straight face!)

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Ralster--- I always like what you have to say on this website. I, like Matt1958, also, gravitate to the left side of the comment! Imagine that!

And, thanks for defending me earlier above, in regard to the SD State/BYU game. My comment had nothing to do with race. Oh, by the way blooblzr, if you are referring to the "white" freshman player, aka= Jimmer Fredette, he is a senior, not a freshman.

Sometimes Ralster, it's best not to respond to others because it's not worth it, if you know what I mean. Rock Chalk!