Friday, January 28, 2011

Colorado AD Mike Bohn asks for ‘better behavior’ from students

University of Colorado Athletic Director Mike Bohn has addressed an inappropriate chant during Tuesday night's Colorado-Kansas men's basketball game with a letter to CU students.

The profane chant during the Big 12 Conference game, won by KU 82-78 at the Coors Events Center, elicited numerous emails and telephone calls to the athletic department on Wednesday.

Buffs Coach Tad Boyle, who has lauded the energy produced by CU students and consecutive capacity crowds at the two most recent home games, said he will briefly address the students before next Tuesday's home game against Iowa State (7 p.m., FSN Rocky Mountain).

Boyle said he was focused on his team and its play last Tuesday and was unaware of the chant during the game, but added he has received a number of emails and calls since. Had he heard the chant, or had it been brought to his attention at the time, Boyle said he would have used the building's public address system and asked the students to display better sportsmanship.

Bohn and Boyle have been ecstatic over the Events Center atmosphere for the Buffs' back-to-back sold out games — a first for CU basketball -against Oklahoma State and KU.

Boyle called support for his team against the Jayhawks, who were making their final trip to Boulder, "absolutely great ... Our fans have been unbelievable; the game atmosphere is what it is supposed to be about. I said it after the Oklahoma State game, 'Our fans helped us win that game.' There is no doubt about it ... it was a great atmosphere for college basketball. Our guys I thought rose to the challenge and fed off of it."

Bohn's letter to the students:

Dear CU Students,

I would like first to thank you for your tremendous support and enthusiasm at our men's basketball games this season. Your excitement has made a significant difference in our home game environment and overall growth and prominence of the program over last couple of years. You are engaged in the game, know basketball and serve as the heartbeat of the contest along with your colleagues in our pep band.

However, I must say how deeply disappointed I and so many other Buff fans were in other aspects of your behavior at the game last night vs. KU. The chanting of expletives at the opposing team is, quite frankly, an embarrassment to our university, athletic department, alumni and our team. We publicly saluted your outstanding sportsmanship and behavior at other marquee games that have been played so far this year. YOU are the generators of the energy that inspires our team and other fans, and that energy has become the envy of our competition.

We know that you know better and YOU should expect better behavior from your fellow students who attend the University of Colorado. A national television audience witnessed our team playing a great game, but was not left with the overall impression of our institution that we aspire to convey. We all yearn for a nationally respected basketball enterprise and we must all contribute to meeting that challenge with continued support and sportsmanship that will attract more fans and outstanding student athletes.

We have a least five more home games that are very important on many levels. We expect all fans to demonstrate the level of class that truly defines the University of Colorado, and to showcase that class for visiting fans in the arena and TV audiences across the nation.

Thank you, and Go Buffs!

Mike Bohn

Director of Athletics

University of Colorado

Comments

JayCeph 8 years, 9 months ago

What was said? The only chant I heard was when Selby stepped to the stripe toward the end of the game and the student section chanted, "Lost to Texas!" over and over again.

Something more inane than that?

Joel Thomas 8 years, 9 months ago

They were saying FU Kansas. But that just means KU is good. I don't think it's all that terrible. It's not like it's language nobody's heard.

kranny 8 years, 9 months ago

So what you're saying is that on National TV, with fans of all age levels(children specifically) in attendance, it would be okay for Kansas fans to use the same language in AFH because "it's language that's been heard before." Don't agree with the rationale. We don't allow language like this in Middle and High Schools for a reason. Being in college doesn't give a fan base license to be classless idiots and embarrass a university. I'm hoping that the "knock his f'ing head off at KU football games is past history also. No need for it, no excuse for it.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 9 months ago

"F*** YOU KANSAS" geez how could you miss it? and it happened right out of the gates. I'm sure that was kind of embarrassing, they rose for a moment of silence for Lisa Robinson (classy) and a few minutes into the game were chanting that garbage

kubball99 8 years, 9 months ago

One other thing that the article does not address was the classy CU student who thought it was cool to yell "F U Kansas" during the moment of silence for Thomas Robinson and his family. Honestly, I've been to the game in Boulder for 10 straight years and nothing surprises me anymore. That's the main reason I make sure to get seats which are opposite of the student section each year. It's one thing to be excited but do it with class.

I'm sure Tad, being a KU alumn, was pretty embarrassed by the student section and their actions on Tuesday.

TheDefinition 8 years, 9 months ago

There was also a sign in the crowd that said "Welcome to your next funeral". I can't imagine someone going that low over a basketball game.

John Strayer 8 years, 9 months ago

kind of reminds me of the attempts KUAD had in trying to get the students to stop a certain chant an kick-off during KU home football games. Good luck...immature college students will be...well uh...immature.

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but I donate money to the Williams Educational Fund so I can be embarrassed by their immaturity every Saturday on the hill. Instead of "kids will be kids" we should be thinking "kids need to be taught". It is school after all...

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 9 months ago

Gee I wonder if a similar letter will be drafted by AD Mike Alden at MU toward their students and fans, but I am guessing not. I have been to many bb games in Columbia over the years, and several times at each game they break out the miz - f ku chant. These aren't during timeouts, but usually while the game is going on, so it comes over the TV or radio very clearly.

All I could think of while sitting there was your families and university must be so proud. Then I realized the families, alums, etc were all chanting it also. You might hear a few bull**** chants at AFH, but I don't recall ever hearing anything worse than MU or some other team sux during a game.

Our fans are pretty hard core, but at least we don't get graphic with our chants at games. Rock Chalk!!

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like the groundwork is being set for the transition to the Pac10.

Our game at Cal was not particularly without "classless twits". But, in general when you think of the West Coast schools, unruly and obnoxious fans aren't the first things you think of.

Reel 'em in now Bohn, or you'll be less than welcome in your new conference. .

texashawk10 8 years, 9 months ago

Colorado is up there among the worst fan bases in general for behavior at sporting events. This isn't the first time I've heard CU students do the "F*** you (insert school)" chant as the do that just about anytime CU loses at home in football or basketball. CU is one of the most arrogant fan bases which is sad considering how little their athletic teams have accomplished in the nationally relevant sports. I can't say that I'm shocked by anything CU fans do considering some of the stories of their students throwing beer cans at opposing fans in football.

Tuskin 8 years, 9 months ago

Good letter. That kind of chant is inappropriate anytime, anywhere.

Sportsmanship, people.

Hank Cross 8 years, 9 months ago

The sickest chant of all was when the ASU fans chanted P-L-O to Steve Kerr when he was at Zona. (Islamic terrorists had murdered Kerr's father who was president of the American University of Beruit.)

Screaming F U Kansas during the moment of silence for TRob's mother was despicable. Otherwise, students dropping F-bombs doesn't bother me. KU obviously doesn't have a problem letting in fans who wear "Muck Fizzou" shirts into AFH knowing more than a few will appear on tv.

bbhawk234 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes I remember that chant but an even sicker chant was when KSU fans were chanting "dead baby". I had never in all my days had heard such heartlessness. To be honest when I heard that chant I wanted to drive down there and rumble.

haydenhawkco 8 years, 9 months ago

CU students have never been creative. The expletive during the moment of silence was disappointing. The Daily Camera (Boulder newspaper) was lit up with KU fans ranting about the behavior from the student body. It's a shame it took Bohn this long to come up with a response. He should have been all over this on Sunday.

bbhawk234 8 years, 9 months ago

This is college not high school. If the students want to use the F bomb...so be it. Really dont see it as being a big deal. Now if they are throwing stuff on the court that would be a different story. Hopefully the students will begin the NIT chant when Pullen is in the line.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 9 months ago

First off, I agree 100% that the chant was totally classless. But I hope none of the posters on here are KU students that attend football games. It's easy to criticize other schools and say what a bunch of twits and losers these people are but we tend to forget that our student section chants "Rip his F-ing head off" during every kickoff at football games. I can't tell you how embarrassed that makes me...especially when my 11 year old son is sitting right next to me.

Hopefully, the CU fans clean it up and our students show much better sportsmanship as well.

Now that I have got on my high and mighty soapbox...MUCK FIZZOU!!!

(As Jaybate says...no malice intended)

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely! Our fans' behavior was just as bad. College students are, for the most part, still kids, and can't really comprehend how it makes you feel, as a parent, to subject your kids to nonsense like that. It might seem funny when you're 20, but to the rest of the world it's just classless.

drum1984 8 years, 9 months ago

I actually don't have a problem with the chant in the abstract but I do with the person/people who did it during the moment of silence, that was completely classless.

Thomas Matlock 8 years, 9 months ago

The Missouri AD should do something about the conduct of his crowd. Their conduct is barely human.

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 9 months ago

"FU Kansas" is unsportsmanlike, but "Rip his F-ing head off" is ok. I wish our student football fans would look in the mirror.

TwistedFish31 8 years, 9 months ago

The students yelling "Rip his F-ing head off" once at the beginning of a football game IS different than students yelling "F*CK YOU KANSAS" over and over and over again including in a moment of silence for a young man's mother. If you can't see the difference on your own, you'll never understand it.

DevilHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

You're right: yelling "fck you Kansas" over and over throughout the game is arguably far better than yelling "rip his f**ing head off" at any point in any game.

kranny 8 years, 9 months ago

There is no difference. There are fans of all ages that attend these games, not just college students. My kids remember the "rip his f'ing head off" chant just as much as any other part of the game even though it was only said "once" and they were barely in elem school. No need for it, no place for it. Has nothing to do with being "holier than thou", it's simply conducting yourself and representing your university with class and integrity and not looking and acting like a bunch of shirtless idiots in overalls, wearing straw hats, and holding pitchforks.

mikehawk 8 years, 9 months ago

For CU basketball, and sadly KU football, these are the type cheers that surface in the void and absence of long standing, winning traditions. Maybe our football fans will have opportunity to develop lasting traditions lacking vulgarity that have special meaning over the next few years.

stm62 8 years, 9 months ago

Its usually the CHILDREN that care the least about the team that cause the most problems. Mommy and Daddy didnt teach them how to behave.
Years ago I went to a KU-SMU football game in Dallas where this idiot KU fan refused to sit down despite the many requests by several fans to do so. He called us a bunch of boring fairweather fans. Anyway, because KU was getting stomped, he left at halftime. Most of the rest of us stayed.

bbhawk234 8 years, 9 months ago

Sorry I just dont get it. This has been going on for years. You all are acting like this is something new. A home crowd getting rowdy and yelling the F bomb. Sure I would admit that it is classless but I would rather the F bomb be thrown around rather than objects on the court or at players. If the F bomb or chants are the worst thing that happen during games I think we are pretty lucky. I have attended some rival away games through the years and trust me the hate that we all feel towards each other could evolve to much worse than a mere chant.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Really, it's pretty simple. If the CU student section want to chant, "FU Kansas," then, it really shows their class--which they have none. I would hope the KU students would have more class. In a KU/Missouri game, unfortunately, it gets really bad sometimes, especially in Columbia, thanks to the Antlers. I am glad Mike Bohn and Tad Boyle are at least, attempting to do something about it. It might put a band aid on the situation temporarily.

I have mentioned this before, but I work with a number of K-State fans and alumni. One in particular thought is was kind of funny, laughing about it. I would really love to see the Jayhawks blast the Wildcats through the AFH roof tomorrow and let the scoreboard do the talking! You know what they say---"what comes around, goes around!" Rock Chalk!

waywardJay 8 years, 9 months ago

I work with a Mizzou fan, and we have had a few moments of intresting debate on basketball. He has been respectful at times, but shortly after the Texas game he commented slightly on it.

So far it has been managable. So far.

Most of the reason, when I found out he was a mizzou fan I directed the dialogue to things i Liek about Mizzou.

I like their style. I love thier coach. I hate their history. I like most of their players. Hate their colors, hate Stewart, hate Sutherland.

In truth, alot of the animosity towards Mizzou has dissipated for me BECAUSE of Anderson, who I just cannot bring myself to hate because he coaches THERE.

Tomorrow, I hope there is an NIT Chant. That would be funny, I'm sure Pullen will go tot he line, and I'm sure there will be SOME chant. Rather have that FU You K-state.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

i love how mike is already looking ahead to a couple of home games in the NIT by saying "we have at least 5 home games left." go get em' buffs!

iowa_jayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

completely agree...no way he did not hear it.

jayhawk2062 8 years, 9 months ago

That's the problem bluto.....they don't have 6,000 student seats. More like about 2,500 to 3,000 and until this year....most of those seats have been collecting dust except when KU plays there!!!

Good riddance to the Buffs and I hope they enjoy a much easier schedule in the Pac 12! I know Tad is probably wishing he had this team in that crappy conference this year instead of next. They would be right up there with Washington.