Thursday, January 27, 2011

KU lands speedy WR Marquis Jackson

Kenneth Lynn expected to decommit

With less than a week remaining until signing day, the Kansas University football team continues to stack the Class of 2011.

photo

Rivals.com

Kansas fooball coach Turner Gill landed more speed to his recruiting class on Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2011 with an oral commitment from receiver Marquis Jackson, a Texas native.

Wednesday, just two days after landing a junior-college linebacker with blazing speed, the Jayhawks learned that Marquis Jackson, an all-state wide receiver from Arlington Heights High in Fort Worth, Texas, had orally committed to Kansas.

Jackson, a 6-foot, 205-pound, three-star prospect, had no shortage of offers, as he turned down scholarships from Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Minnesota, Nebraska and UTEP to join the Jayhawks.

Like so many members of the Class of 2011, Jackson’s biggest asset appears to be his speed. The first-team all-state selection, who hauled in 44 passes for 1,186 yards this season, has consistently been clocked in the sub-4.5-second range in the 40-yard dash. His high school coach, Ged Kates, told Rivals.com Wednesday that there was much more to Jackson’s game than his wheels.

“When recruiters would come through the one word that stood out was ‘explosive,’” Kates told Rivals. “At every camp he was the fastest guy. He’s 205 pounds so he’s not small for a receiver. He’s our second-best squatter and squats over 500 pounds.”

Special teams and tight ends coach Aaron Stamn was the lead recruiter for Jackson and Kates said Stamn’s efforts to land the star receiver went a long way.

“I know he really likes coach Stamn and that was one reason,” Kates said. “I know he really enjoyed being around (head) coach (Turner) Gill. When coach Stamn was here and asked Marquis what he wanted at the next level, he told coach Stamn he wanted to play for coaches who will get the most out of him but feels like a family.”

The addition of Jackson, along with this week’s commitments from defensive ends Michael Reynolds and Javonte Daniel as well as linebacker Tunde Bakare, have put KU’s current recruiting class — Gill’s first complete class — on the brink of cracking the Top 30 nationally. The 2011 signing period opens Wednesday, with national signing day. Most of KU’s recruits are expected to make their commitments official then.

Cornerback jumps ship

While KU coach Turner Gill continues to add players to the Class of 2011, one prospect, cornerback Kenneth Lynn, appears poised to drop the Jayhawks.

Lynn, a 5-11, 165-pound corner from Dallas, originally committed to Iowa State but switched his commitment to the Jayhawks late last month.

Wednesday, CycloneReport.com reported that Lynn had switched back to ISU and that his high school coach expected it to stay that way.

Lynn’s second change of heart is not a huge surprise. Former KU wide receivers coach Darrell Wyatt, who left for Texas earlier this month, was the lead recruiter for Lynn. With Wyatt gone, it seems as if that was enough to entice Lynn to stick with his original choice.

Comments

Chris Bruning 3 years, 6 months ago

Brock Berglund drops back, he's lookin, avoids one tackle, he's goin deep. Got it! Marquis Jackson catches it and outruns his defender for a 74-yard pass and catch TD!!!! And they are wavin the wheat here in Lawrence!

Be ready for this next fall Jayhawk Nation!!!

After we handle our business in March and April of course

David Hodges 3 years, 6 months ago

Man it gets harder and harder for the Gill haters to talk... keep up the good work.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not exactly a "Gill Hater," but my concerns with him have nothing to do with his recruiting. It was the level of mental in-game coaching errors that bothered me. I can chalk it up to first-season growing pains, but I won't sing the hallelujahs until I see improvement in those areas.

mdfraz 3 years, 6 months ago

This sums up my feelings pretty well. Getting a talented class is the first step, and an excellent one. However, my concern is more what happens when they get here. Will Gill and crew be able to coach them up? There were too many missed assignments, poor clock and timeout managements, and general disarray in way too many games this past year. Hopefully it really is growing pains, but I'm dubious. Reggie Mitchell brought in great classes at Illinois a lot of years, and that staff consistently underacheived. Not saying that's what will happen, but just showing that it can.

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

kureader 3 years, 6 months ago

Hate to agree with you, but I do agree. Gill is certainly not a very "cerebral" guy. There's no substitute for talent though, and it appers we're making some big strides there. I'm optimistic, and I think he has a solid staff.

johnnyphoton 3 years, 6 months ago

Mental in-game coaching errors, net a very cerebral guy . . . who knew we had Forrest Gump for coach.

Keith Hummel 3 years, 6 months ago

I realize your being sarcastic, but I'm not sure some of the other posters will. Gill deserves to be held accountable for his coaching mistakes, and the coaching mistakes of his staff, but he does not deserve to be effectively labeled "stupid" because of it. The people who do so are revealing more about themselves than they are about Gill. If the Gill Haters want to say he's not a good coach, that's one thing, but to describe him using code words for "mentally challenged" is way over the line.

johnnyphoton 3 years, 5 months ago

AtlJaybird: I totally agree with your assessment. It is nonsense to describe a man of high quality and high character in the terms mentioned above. Time will tell if HCTG is not capable of running a Big 12 championship caliber team. I want Coach Gill to succeed and I believe today's recruiting 'haul' is the beginning of something very special.

hawk316 3 years, 6 months ago

And the hits just keep on comin'... Outstanding work by Coach Stamn and the rest of Coach Gill's staff.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 6 months ago

I see this guy being the next Dez Brisco...only about 3 inches shorter. Jackson might be more explosive in the open field though.

Coach Gill - I'm impressed...keep up the nice work you and your coaching staff have done with recruiting. Maybe a couple more quality defensive linemen would help tremendously.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Speed to spread the field and the strength to spring loose one of the blazing RB's. Sounds great.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

There's been several posts the last couple of weeks about the need to add some defensive linemen. I think what some people are forgetting is that there was a lot of talk previously that a couple of the (6) offensive linemen that were recruited were in fact recruited for the defensive line. I think Gill has his ducks in a row as far as recruiting goes. I will say, however, that I agree somewhat with Cusack118's remark about in-game coaching. I am looking forward to seeing what Gill does with this talent he has landed. Hopefully these guys come in, work hard to improve their skills, and start winning games in a year or two.

kranny 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not going to disagree but I will say that in game coaching becomes a helluva lot easier with multiple weapons and better talent. Playbooks become a lot bigger with more options. I still say 4 wins next year and then a bowl game the following year. If it doesn't pan out that way, I say KU needs to start lookin.

truefan 3 years, 6 months ago

I can live with that. I don't expect big advances next season unless Webb, Pick, or Mechum get a lot better. I think Brock is a great high school QB, but I don't know if he's Big XII ready at this point. If he is the best QB on our roster next season, then we can't expect more than 4 wins realistically because he's going to make mistakes. Even Vince Young struggled until the end of his sophomore year.

Honestly I could see us getting 3 wins or less again because our talent is still young. Our defense looked better by game 12, but it wasn't enough to pull off victories when the offense couldn't move the ball. The only way I'd get worried is if Gill got fired after year 2. It would just be too tough to convince the next coach that he has any job security to get his team in place. Here's to hoping your prediction is spot on (unless we can get more wins next season) and Gill can stick around as an ambassador, coach, and mentor to our players.

jhox 3 years, 6 months ago

We're finally going to have the speed to compete with Big 12 teams. Next season may still be a struggle for us, but hopefully by 2012 this group will be ready to contribute, big time.

My one knock on Gill early on last season was that our team was not fired up when they came on the field, and that Gill, himself, didn't show any emotion. To his credit, I think he figured that out and it was not nearly so much of a problem later in the season.

I'm going to withhold judgement on his X's ans O's ability until 2012, when we have the speed and experience to start competing with Big 12 teams.

truefan 3 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, speed and experience can make coaches look really smart. I will say that caoch Gill didn't do a whole lot with what he had last season, but I'm just not convinced that anyone could have done much better unless they went the K-State approach and abandoned the passing game altogether.

I'm just going to support him until he's had at least 3 years at the helm. Then it will be time for me to either continue my support or beg the AD to do his job and find us a guy that can win games.

Keith Hummel 3 years, 6 months ago

Kudos to Coach Gill and staff on another awesome recruit. Welcome Marquis!

While I'm officially a member of the "Homer" camp, I share the sentiments of cusack118 and NebraskaJayhawk. Gill has lived up to his recruiting promise, now he has to put a better product on the field. This team is still extremely young and inexperienced, but they are loaded with speed and raw talent. If they are not a bunch more competitive next year, I will be very disappointed. No more excuses.

DevilHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

How many of them are going to redshirt next year?

We may be much more competitive next year, but we play the entire conference. Therefore, the increase in "competitiveness" of the team probably will not show up on the scoreboard - and almost certainly not on the W-L record.

Of course, there is also the QB issue. Unless a QB steps up, we will not be competitive.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 6 months ago

I will feel better once it is signed in ink, I hope we dont "lose" anymore recruits like this. Super excited for KU football (even if i think it may be 2012 till we see a turnaround in our record) Rock Chalk

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

great another 6 footer. someone call adidas, we are going to need another medium football jersey!

i've noticed the word "speedy" has been substuted for the word "short" with our last couple of recruits!

a 6' reciever is like a 6'3" power forward. what's the point!

ok, i'm done. no seriously. done for a while. this class has turned out way better than i or even most homers (excluding 100, who expects a top 10 class every year) could of imagined considering our on field preformance last season. i've always said all ku football needs to be is a top 30 team in the country and most fans would be more than happy. here's to hoping this class pans out like forcasted!

man! that was hard to say/type!!!!!

Keith Hummel 3 years, 6 months ago

Ahperse - your getting kinder and gentler in your old age. Maybe the TRob story has softened you up.

Good point about the height, but I'm sure we can come up with a list of great receivers who were also vertically challenged. The speed and explosiveness is what gets my attention. And at 205, he's obviously solid. I wouldn't be surprised to see this kid eventually move to DB.

jaymar74 3 years, 6 months ago

I could list the number of 6 foot WR that have had great college careers but I do not have an hour to spend on this site.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 6 months ago

Wait! Did you just give KU football a compliment? WTF? The wheat is waving! Hell has frozen over! This has got to be a sign from above that things are turning around when ahperse is giving the team an off-handed compliment! That said I'm impressed with you manning up and admitting we are bringing in a quality class. No we aren't attracting players Texas or OU gets but I think we are gonna compete in the next few years. This is a very very good start in Gill's first full year of coaching. Keep em coming coach Gill and company.

slowplay 3 years, 6 months ago

"a 6' reciever is like a 6'3" power forward. what's the point!".... Again, you post with ignorance. Here's a short list to mull over. NFL Receivers Roddy White 6-0 Greg Jennings 5-11 Steve Smith 5-9 DeSean Jackson 5-11 Wes Welker 5-11 Santana Moss 6'0 Laveranues Coles 6'0 Antwaan Randle El 5-10 Projected Top draft picks 2011 Titus Young- Boise State- 5’11 Vincent Brown- San Diego State- 6’0 Jerrell Jernigan- Troy- 5’8 Randall Cobb- Kentucky- 5’11 Ronald Johnson- USC- 6’0

kureader 3 years, 6 months ago

Looks like I won't be arguing with you.

I'd still take the 6'3" guy over the 5'10" guy, but your post is a very good one.

truefan 3 years, 6 months ago

Good post. You also forgot to mention that our current roster is full of 6'4"possession recievers like Omigie, Maura, and Turzilli who will all be sophomores next season. They are all good players, but we need the speedy slot recievers to compliment their size and that's what Patterson, Beshears, and Jackson bring.

KanFan27 3 years, 6 months ago

I love the fact that you finally admitted that KU is bringing in a quality class. However I do have to make a statement on the he is too short to be an effective WR. This is not just for you its for anyone who thinks that 6' WR are too short. I had WAY to much time on my hands and used some of it to compile a list of household names of WR's who are 6' or shorter. They are also from the NFL so you cannot say they won't transfer to the next level because they already did. The list includes Anquan Boldin at 6'1, Deion Branch at 5'9, Austin Collie 6'0, Pierre Garcon at 6'0, Percy Harvin at 5'11, Devin Hester at 5'11, Santonio Holmes at 5'11, Torry Holt at 5'11, DeSean Jackson at 5'10, Greg Jennings 5'11, Brandon Lloyd 6'0, Jeremy Maclin 6'0, Mario Manningham 5'11, Santana Moss 5'10, Hakeem Nicks 6'0, Eddie Royal 5'10, Mike Wallace 6'0, Hines Ward 6'0, Wes Welker 5'9, and Roddy White 6'0. There are many more that could be on this list, but this is a compilation of the 20 most well known and my favorites. I don't want to say he will be like any of those guys, but if he is not great it will have nothing to do with height. Jackson is actually taller than more than half that list. I have a lot of hope for him and am ecstatic to have landed him. Also for those who have not looked at him on ESPN they have him rated a 79 overall which is tied for the second best recruit we have so far in our class and put him in the top 50 WR's in the nation. I'm seeing big things for this kid and this program. I really hope for the best. Rock Chalk.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

If I'm going to bang them when they're not ranked by rivals to now jump in the low 30's, simply put, I'm wrong. But don't get all excited thinking I'm going to stop banging gill & co because there are still many things that need to be played out on the field.

truefan 3 years, 6 months ago

I can agree with this, I just don't feel the need to be repetitive about it. I am pleased with this recruiting class as well, but I agree that if Gill can't use the players correctly, manage games correctly, and ultimately win games, then he should go. But he needs three seasons to prove whether or not he can do those things.

Even with this great class our team will be lacking in experience in the depth chart at nearly every position on the field. In the 2012 season, he won't have that excuse anymore so he'd better be winning more than 3 games by then.

Jayjocker 3 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the last paragraph, keep trying, it was the one thing worth reading out of your last jillion posts. You hinted at some luv in a previous one but couldn't quite get there.

MIZNIT 3 years, 6 months ago

Steve Smith. DeSean Jackson. Greg Jennings. Santana Moss. Lee Evans.

And I haven't even started naming slot receivers. Troll.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Apparently a few of you don't have the attention span to read the whole post and see the 6' thing was a sarcastic comment from a desperate man. But for those of you that are getting excited posting your b-team receivers I bet my list of those 6' and above reads alot better. I'll be infront of a computer shortly to compile a list. Right now I have to get back to driving.

Well officer, technically I wasn't texting!

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 6 months ago

Small, but fast seemed to work out ok for Oregon.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 6 months ago

Small, but fast seemed to work out ok for Oregon.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 6 months ago

DMC doesnt look to bad as a CHIEF, and hes like 5' 8" . Height isnt important as your making it out to be, my concern would be does he have good hands, and can he get open. If he can catch and get open, it doesnt matter how tall he is.

amatxjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Can you spell Biletnikoff, as in the reward. He was 6'1".

Chris Bruning 3 years, 6 months ago

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 6 months ago

All things being equal, size wins. But speed beats size every time. Remember that the defence has to stay with him, not the other way around. (This is why the toughest position is defensive back. They have to tackle runners head on, then cover the fastest players on the field.) This is another great signing.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not a rivals subscriber, but I occasionally check it out to see what they think of our recruits. If you go to their KU page, this guy is actually listed as a commit for basketball as well, where it says he is a shooting guard but has no star rating. Strange! Anybody notice this? Is there anything to that?

Dale Kroening 3 years, 6 months ago

Yeah I noticed that also and posted below, but nobody replied. Does anyone know if he plans to play fb and bb ?

troutsee 3 years, 6 months ago

Great recruiting class considering our on-field performances last year. Still we did win 3 games and made a game of it against MU, NU, and ISU. We will be better next year but our record might be the same and we might not even have a winning record two years from now. It will probably be in Gill's fourth year that these recruits come of age. I hope it comes sooner and perhaps it will, but it is difficult to see a quick turnaround.

School is still out on Gill's coaching abilities, but I think he has the makings to be a very good coach and taking us to the next level.

Incidently, I don't think you need to jump around on the sideline to be a good head coach. Bill Snyder, Tom Osborne, and Bud Wilkinson were not rah-rah guys. \

Coaches, congratulations on a great job of recruiting and thanks for all of your hard work.

Funhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

"Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control." Ah, if only your manager at work was that way....

The quote was from another highly successful coach, Tom Landry. Turner Gill is like Tom Landry, as far as motivating players before the game. Those supposedly stone-faced coaches during the game are emotional inside the locker room. So in that sense, perhaps they were rah-rah guys. Still, the Snyder, Osborne, Landry type of coaches use their brains to outsmart the opposing coach, rather than losing their emotions on the sideline. Turner is a throw back to the days when coaches showed class.

Thanks for saying, " I don't think you need to jump around on the sideline to be a good head coach. Bill Snyder, Tom Osborne, and Bud Wilkinson were not rah-rah guys."

741hawk 3 years, 6 months ago

cusack118: Right on. Improving recruiting is one thing, but coaching (preparation and game day) separates those who CAN recruit into two categories: big winners and also-rans.

Hearing from the players after the Colorado game that they had never practiced a surprise on-side kick convinced me that this head coach is not going to cut it.

I could be wrong, but I know where I'd place my bet.

trout984bum 3 years, 6 months ago

troutsee: Don't you mean "The jury is still out"?

hawksfan08 3 years, 6 months ago

You don't have to be able to coach to win.

See: Les Miles, Rick Barnes.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

...Mack Brown, Gene Chizik(money did more than his coaching for him)....

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 6 months ago

Ultimately, KU needs Turner Gill to succeed.

Turner Gill is the 37th Head Football Coach since 1890 which means the average coaching tenure is less than 4 years. Conversely, Bill Self is the 8th Head Basketball Coach since 1898. This averages out to over 14 years per coach.

I understand that this is an "apples & oranges" comparison, but there has to be stability in order to build a program. KU football has never "built" it's program. The overall record is 569-556-58. This sort of mediocrity will impact all of KU's sports due to the economic impact of football. If KU wants to be a national player and solidify it's conference stability (Big XII or other), they NEED to build a legitimate football program. Turner Gill has to be the guy to do it. No longer can we hope that maybe Coach #38 will do it. No longer can we be satisfied with mediocrity. No longer can we be a "basketball school" only. We need Turner Gill to succeed.

Turner Gill is the only coach in recent memory that has taken a "build a dynasty" approach at KU. He has the opportunity to stay for a long time and be THE guy to legitimately build a football program at KU. He has the intelligence, drive, determination, and experience to be a successful BCS Head Coach. He has some unknowns as well, but don't we all? Ultimately, if we want KU to succeed on the national landscape then we all need to give him 100% of our support; win, lose, or draw.

KU needs Turner Gill to succeed!

mdfraz 3 years, 6 months ago

I have to disagree with the statement that Gill is the only one to take the "build a dynasty" approach. Mangino was here 8 years, and it sure as hell wasn't his choice to leave when he did. He built the program up over the course of several years to where we actually believed we had the ability to expect bowl games every year (and be competitive in nearly every game we played). You can cite the problems and his ultimate downfall, of course, but I don't believe for one second that he wasn't here trying to "build a dynasty".

I'm wondering what evidence you have to support your assertion that Gill has what it takes to be THE guy? Intelligence? I can't say he comes off as more intelligent than the average coach. Drive and determination? Few coaches (cough, Terry Allen, cough) at the D-I level DON'T have drive and determination. Mangino sure as hell did. Experience? He has more head coaching experience at D-I than Mangino or Allen did, but none at a BCS school. And despite all the arguing that "Buffalo was the worst EVER", he had one winning year out of four; now adding KU, out of five. And that was barely over .500 that one year. Sure it's experience, but what sort of experience?

We definitely need Gill to succeed, but as many others have pointed out, in game management and strategy, he has been less than impressive so far. The great recruiting can only help, but it definitely doesn't guarantee that he can do enough with it when it gets on the field.

DevilHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Gill was brought in for the purposes of increasing KU's recruiting presence and stocking KU with talent.

If he proves unable to actually coach, then KU can simply choose to not renew/extend his contract. We would certainly be in a better position to attract a proven coach at that time - assuming that we don't get stranded outside of a major conference.

mdfraz 3 years, 6 months ago

What good is talent if it under performs or doesn't perform at all? Then it's just wasted. How many schools out there over the last several years bring in better recruits than Texas? What did that get them this year? 5-7 and home losses to ISU and Baylor?

As I said, great recruits are the FIRST step, but alone, that won't do anything to win games, raise our profile, etc. Let's say Gill recruits really well for 3 years (top 30 classes, maybe even breaks a top 25) but fails to secure a bowl bid (sadly, not an unrealistic possibility). Just because we had gotten top 30 recruiting classes do you think that will outweigh 3-9, 4-8, 5-7? Not a chance. Plus, if we start consistently missing out on bowls we miss all that extra practice time (see: most of KU's history), the exposure, and the confidence of being in a successful program. At some point the recruiting will suffer if that's the case.

I guess my point is, Gill has done a fantastic job of recruiting given the situation we've been in the last year or two. If he can't turn that into wins, or at LEAST competitiveness, and soon, it won't mean a whole lot and in 2-3 years we will be at square one again. It's half the battle, and he's performed better than I'd hoped. However, when it came to game time last season, he performed much worse than I'd hoped. I hope he proves me wrong.

DevilHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

The head coach should be focused on the big picture of the game. The other coaches should be the ones focused on helping the individual players improve.

One bad play call can turn a game from being competitive to being entirely out of reach - upwards of a 16-pt. swing in the game.

If one such play call is made each game, then the team may be competitive for a period of time in each game - but it ultimately won't seem like the team was competitive in any game.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 6 months ago

mdfraz,

Regarding Mark Mangino, he is no longer the coach. At some point, fans need to "turn the page". He is not coming back.

You don't have to like Gill or support him, but the fact remains that he is the Head Coach and KU needs him to succeed.

mdfraz 3 years, 6 months ago

I was not aware Mangino is not the coach anymore. I appreciate the heads up.

The only reason I brought him up is to compare and contrast Gill with our most recent coach. Your original post seemed to hint that somehow Gill is different than all of the other coaches we've had in the past. So, I compared him to Mangino, and even Terry Allen. At no point did I argue that we should bring Mangino back. I was simply pointing out that Gill doesn't seem to be any different than Mangino in terms of his commitment, drive, determination and experience. As for intelligence, I can't say that I get the feeling that Gill is some sort of genius. I could be wrong, and I'm simply basing it off of the way he speaks in public, in interviews, or in front of the team (from the Gridiron vids). Clearly that is not a full picture of anyone's intelligence, but that's why I'm qualifiying my comments in this way.

I agree we NEED Gill to succeed. But we NEEDED Mangino to succeed too. And Allen. And Mason. And every other coach we've had. Just because we need it doesn't mean that it will happen. If Gill doesn't have what it takes, all the wishing and needing in the world means nothing. I hope he does succeed, and the recruiting so far has been excellent. But you don't go to a bowl game or win conference championships just because you recruited well.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 6 months ago

I do appreciate your dialogue. My original post was to state that all of the mediocrity must end with Turner Gill. If KU does not build a program, Conference re-alignment may leave them behind. Football is the cash cow. It is more important now, given the NU & CU defections, than it has ever been to have a profitable and thriving football program. Regarding recruiting; you are right. It is not guaranteed that you will "go to a bowl game or win conference championships just because you recruited well." However, It is guaranteed that you will not if you don't recruit well. KU has proven that in the past. Finally, My statement that Turner Gill must succeed is not based on "wishing and needing", it is based on the fact that Conference realignment has changed the landscape of college athletics. KU was hours from having no conference affiliation until Texas kept the Big XII from imploding. They can not wait for Texas to save them again. They can not wait for the next coach to be successful. Turner Gill must be successful. Otherwise, KU could be on the outside looking in when the next realignment takes place. We can argue his coaching record, intelligence, etc.; but the next realignment could be forced upon them again very soon. Time is of the essence. Right now he is the only Head Coach they have. Therefore, KU needs him to succeed.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 6 months ago

You said MEDIOCRE!!!???

I am shocked we actually have a school career winning record!! We must have had some really good teams in the 30's and 40's. Anyway, I frankly don't know how to react to this recruiting class.

Are a whole bunch of three stars good? Considering the season, is this a great effort? Will we ever get a five star? [According to rivals.com there are only 13 five stars in the entire friggin' Class of 2011]

I think you can succeed with speed in college, but you rise with size in the pros.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 6 months ago

I think a bunch of 3 stars are good given the current state of the program. I always like to see what other schools offer the kid. If he had other BCS offers, he should have talent to develop into a solid player.

Regarding size, have you seen the O-line Gill is bringing in? Huge! Most are 6'5 and 280+. Big line + Fast skill players should equal more wins. The problem is that KU gets to play all the South teams. Ouch.

Coach Gill needs to do better than 3-9 this season but it looks pretty brutal on paper.

100 3 years, 6 months ago

Speeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep 'em coming Coach Gill!!!!!!!!

"It's not the X's & O's....

It's the Jimmy & Joes....."

---- NCAA Champion & NFL champion football coach, Barry Switzer

"Recruit, Recruit, Recruit!!!!!"

---- Head Coach Turner Gill, coach of a young man who is about to start in his first Super Bowl as a running back, a position he wasn't slated to play until Coach Gill moved him there.... At Buffalo, a school which couldn't recruit the broad side of a barn before Coach Gill arrived.

Ahperse..... Nice to hear from you....

And yes, we at Kansas, do finally understand the importance of outrecruiting your competitors....

It might have taken 121 years to figure it out (minus the glorious Kreb scandal unfefeated season, or an occasional great hit like Gale Sayers, John Riggins, Gilbert Brown, Dana Stubblefield, John Hadl or Tommy Johnson, our epic hero & Phog Allen's best friend as a student who died after an illegal hit from two Missouri Tigers)....

But the point is... We all get it now...

It's not about spreading 25 amazing football recruits across a century....

It's about grabbing 25 amazing players, right now, and praying they are faster than the other team....

And hoping that a strength facility at our school is the best in the nation, to make these 4.35 18 year olds, infringe on Bo Jackson's record NFL combine time of 4.17 by the time they depart after a great career here....

Maybe on graduation day they're "only" running a 4.31.... Or a 4.22.... Or heck even a 4.18....

But one thing is certain, whether they top Bo's time or not at the NFL combines... They will leave here faster than they were when they arrived...

There's a reason these fast kids are coming here....

We all get it now, Ahperse.....

Thanks for joining the force...

Speed does win championships in college football.

The foundation of a dynasty is being born right here in Lawrence, Kansas.

It is all about the players.

And we as fans, must not settle anymore for slow players & short stubby lineman like we did in the 80's....

It's all about recruiting.

We should support & encourage Coach Gill to go for that top class every year.

It's a new age here in Lawrence & I'm glad you're along for the ride.....

Because we're gonna be fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep bringin 'em in Coach Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

troutsee 3 years, 6 months ago

Well said. I like your posts, your optimism, and your enthusiasm. Every Hawk FB fan needs your spark. This sort of enthusiasm and exuberance can't help but rub off on the players. Winning starts with a positive attitude. Keep it up 100.

I think all of us who have been a part of KU football down through the years are yearning for a consistent winner. Hopefully, the time is at hand.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 6 months ago

Anyone else notice he's listed as a sg, on the KU basketball recruiting page. Is he going to play fb and bb ?

KGphoto 3 years, 6 months ago

It's not like we don't have tall receivers.

6'2" Ricki Herod 6'4" Brian Maura 6'3" Erick McGriff 6'4" Chris Omigie

justanotherfan 3 years, 6 months ago

The thing I like about Gill is that he is upgrading the overall athleticism of the players on this team. He isn't just recruiting a guy to play X position. He's going out and signing athletes that, if necessary, can move from WR to DB, or RB to LB, or LB to DE, or DE to DT, or WR to S, or OL to DL, etc.

Gill saw through last season that his main problems were inconsistent line play on both sides of the ball, inconsistent QB play, a lack of depth at LB and a lack of defensive playmakers. So let's see how he and his staff have done addressing those needs.

Got verbals from six offensive linemen - 5 three star prospects and a two star. All but one of the OLs is 6-5 or taller, none weigh less than 260. Not saying that these guys will be starters or stars next season, but its depth and competition. And one of them is ALREADY ON CAMPUS for spring practice. Based on that, he gets a B+ for his work here.

Got verbals from three DE's. Not as big a splash here, but he has some athletes to work with here now. And moving Toben Opurum from RB to DE could end up having the biggest impact. On the recruiting side I can only give him a C+, particularly because Michael Reynolds is wavering on his commit. If he reels in all three, I could move that to a B-. If I count the Opurum move, he may have a solid B when all is said and done.

Two freshmen QB's committed, and Berglund is on campus for spring practice. Cummings is coming off an injury, so he is probably going to redshirt, but landing two QBs and getting one enrolled in time for the spring makes this an A-.

Last year's LB corps was wiped out by injury. Getting everyone healthy (and keeping them that way) by itself would probably net him a B-. But there's more. Three HS LBs and a JC transfer (who could come in and play immediately) are committed. That makes this a B+ area for the off season.

And that's not the whole class. The best RB in the KC area is committed to KU. The best RB in Wichita is already on campus. Several athletic players (Victor Simmons, Anthony Pierson, Alex Matlock) could make an impact on special teams early in their careers. And we grabbed a kicker, too.

I'd say that the staff has had a B+ off season. Let's hope this is the start of something big.

100 3 years, 6 months ago

Nice analysis.

Don't forget about 6'7" Julius Green who runs a 4.6!

Along with Oporum's off season dedication to the weight room & Reynolds blazing speed & hitting ability, the DE portion is a definite "A"....

Keep 'em coming Coach Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slowplay 3 years, 6 months ago

Just a quick rant about Div 1 head football coaches. By the time they reach this level they are usually competent football people. Their failures will not come from an X's & O's standpoint, but rather a from failure to hire good assistants, poor recruiting, poor player relationships, off field problems, offending alums, lack of communication, etc. etc. I think Gill will eventually do a good job because he seems to grasp the intangibles. That said, it's still about wins and he needs to show progress next year.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

We need to win a couple of games next year, but we all need to be realistic, look at our schedule, and think about who our starting QB is going to be. Unless Webb or Mecham make serious improvements this offseason, we will be starting either a freshman QB or a mediocre QB. We have some good running backs, but who is going to block for them? The freshmen?

I want Gill to redshirt everybody he can, including Berglund. He should lay the best foundation he can for the future. Redshirt everybody! Gill has already proven he can recruit well after a losing season. Hopefully he only has to do that one more time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the guys to prove me wrong and win some games in the Big XII next year. It's just going to be tough. Whether we redshirt guys or not, we have 3 basically guaranteed losses, 1 game we ought to feel really good about winning, and 8 games that will be tough. I don't think redshirting these guys will dramatically affect our W-L record next year, but it could give us a chance to have a lot of experience in the future. Can you imagine this class as a bunch of 5th year Seniors? I agree with those above who were talking about building a dynasty. I think the dynasty move here is to redshirt these guys.

KUDUDE 3 years, 6 months ago

JUST BECOUSE GILL CAN GET GUY'S TO COME TO KU DO NOT MEAN THAT HE WILL KEEP HIS JOB HE WILL HAVE TO SEE WHAT THE PLAYERR CAN DO BE FOR THEY CAN SAY THAT HE HAS A GOOD CLASS

Chris Bailey 3 years, 6 months ago

Please tell me that you were very tired while writing your comments??? Or at least assure me you didn't graduate from KU! If so we need to visit with the chair of the english department to find out who took english comp for you.

Blake Post 3 years, 6 months ago

Exactly. Perhaps he is a rapper As to the content, every coach should have at least five years. Bill Snyder took that long the first time to reach a bowl. And it is obvious that that someone has to actually track a recruiting class to know what is achieved, ya bozo. Usually it is the media who does that sort of thing. Who else does? While I'm on here, I still think it is funny how ksu and mzoo basically gave away their bowl games, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, through bonehead moves, and nebrASSka got smashed in the largest turnaround I've ever seen (nu beat Wash. by 5 TDs during the early season). Pants on the ground, Nebrastards and pig pelini.

DubaiHusker 3 years, 6 months ago

Guys, please excuse me for "trolling" but, just a reminder of a quote from ole Barry Switzer on why the Huskers were having so much trouble beating the Sooners during the 70's. " It ain't about the X's and the O's...its about the Jimmys and the Joes! The Sooners just had better athletes that made plays when the outcome of the game was on the line. Tell Coach Gill to "keep loading up the wagon"

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 6 months ago

Given the recent Iowa hospitalization incident, what is the chance that parents of recruits could be scared away? Specifically, Rodney Coe is a 4-star athlete who did visit Lawrence in December.