Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jayhawks make it back from D.C.

Self discusses Lisa Robinson's funeral after landing in Topeka

Kansas University’s basketball team charter touched down at Topeka’s Forbes Field at 5 p.m. Thursday as the Jayhawks returned from a safe, yet snow-and-ice riddled trip to Washington, D.C., for the funeral for Thomas Robinson’s mother, Lisa.

Robinson did not accompany the Jayhawks back to Lawrence.

He will return Friday with KU director of basketball operations Barry Hinson and be in uniform for Saturday’s 6 p.m. home game against Kansas State.

Robinson’s sister, Jayla, who is actually 7, not 9 as has been presently reported, also did not return with the KU team. She will at the present time be remaining in D.C.

Self said that could change.

“We all want what’s best for Thomas and obviously for his little sister,” Self said. “But she has a father and family back home. Thomas obviously, as the big brother, would love to have her here. But that's a family decision. And they're going to have to decide what's best for Jayla.”

The weather provided many challenges on this just-concluded trip to D.C.

A snow storm in the D.C. area Wednesday delayed the KU contingent’s travel from Dulles International Airport to the team’s hotel. The team was originally scheduled to arrive at the hotel at 8:45 p.m., Eastern time, Wednesday, but the storm delayed the team bus, and the snow and ice-packed roads made travel slow. The team finally arrived at the hotel at 1:45 a.m., some five hours late.

On Thursday morning, Antioch Baptist Church, site of the funeral, had no power, threatening the cancellation of Lisa’s funeral services. Power was restored and the church was packed with 200 or more individuals.

“I will say this: The weather in D.C. when we landed yesterday ... it was unbelievable,” Self said Thursday after getting off the charter plane at Forbes Field. “It was unbelievable. It was as bad as I’ve ever seen. The roads ... I’ve never been in a place where you could go maybe 3 miles an hour or 2 miles an hour because of all the traffic and icy roads. Whenever you are on a bus, we didn’t know if we were going to be able to move.

“It was bad, but the guys (Jayhawks) are fine. It was such a good thing we were there for Thomas. I don’t think there would have been too much that would have stopped us from being there.”

Of the church, Self said: “There was talk of canceling the service because that area of town lost all electricity (from Wednesday’s storm). As of early this morning, we didn’t know if there would be a service. Fortunately everybody worked hard and put it together. It was a beautiful service. Everything went off without a hitch (after being delayed an hour or so).”

Selby comes back with Jayhawks

KU freshman Josh Selby also returned with the team.

Selby had planned on traveling from D.C. to Baltimore on Thursday for Friday’s funeral of a loved one.

“Maeshon’s (mother of Selby) godson — one of Josh’s best friends — was murdered Saturday,” Self said. “He found out as soon as the Texas game was over. He went back with the full intention and our full intention that he was going to stay and go to the service tomorrow, but with the weather situation and at the request of his family, they thought it was in his best interests not to go and come back with the team so he’s with us right now.”

Comments

boxersdrule 3 years, 6 months ago

I hope the funeral helped T-Rob grieve. It was in the back of my head all day while I was at work. My heart is broken for him & Jayla. God bless them both! Happy to hear we get to welcome T-Rob back in AFH Saturday!

MrPilot 3 years, 6 months ago

My god...this team has had to deal with too much. I'm so sorry for Josh and his family as well.

Ed Brown 3 years, 6 months ago

Very glad to hear everyone is back safe. Too bad Josh couldn't attend his friend's funeral. It is amazing the character we see in the players HCBS recruits with all the violence and tragedy around them.

Gregor Southard 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, beginning to sound a lot like '08 with what Darnell and Rodrick went through that year.

sfjayhawk4life 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm really glad to hear that Thomas is coming back on Friday and will play on Saturday but I have to say that I am really concerned about Jayla and her staying. I read on a post (not knowing if true or not) that her dad recently got out of prison so her staying with him scares me a little. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that just because he was in prison means his a bad person not at all, I'm just worried that she doesn't really know him very well. I just want what's best for the both of them and for the both of them to be happy. I just hope that Thomas is ok with her staying back in DC. T-Robb just know that all of us fans have your back and are here for you.

skijamin 3 years, 6 months ago

My condolences to T-Rob and Selby. I am brought to the brink of tears each time I read another article about your tragic losses. Jayhawk nation is behind you both and we love and appreciate the way you have represented the team under these terrible circumstances.

This team had suffered through terrible tragedies like the '08 team. Obviously, it would had been better if these had never occurred, but they can be turned into a team building positive. I wonder if HCBS has considered bringing in D-Block of Rodrick for an inspirational speaker. Either one could help this team through these tragedies and become better for it

madamhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm glad to hear that Jayla's father is a presence in her life. I respect the decision that she will stay in DC for now. Losing her grandparents and mom within 3 weeks is hard enough but to then uproot from her friends, family, school, etc would be even harder. Maybe it's best for her to finish the school year there and maybe move to Lawrence during the summer. No matter where she is living Jayhawk Nation will be strong supporters.

Josh-so sorry to hear about your best friend. I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

So happy to hear the team got home safely. We just need TRob and Mr. Hinson home safely tomorrow to complete us.

RCJH...beat KSU

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 6 months ago

God, now Selby's friend----geeze---this team has no shortage of tragedy. Uptown----totally agree---glad the team is back safe. Josh, sorry to hear about your friend. Keep playing aggressive, like you did at Colorado. I think these kids feel safe in Kansas, unlike in the real urban areas, i.e, Baltimore, Philly and New York City. Love this team's chemistry. Hopefully, it will pay off in the end!

andrewbary 3 years, 6 months ago

Living in DC has certainly taught me that folks out here don't know how to drive like us midwesterners. A couple inches of snow and slush, and people lose their minds. I can certainly relate to what coach was talking about. Glad the guys made it home safe, here's hoping they get their needed rest before Saturday's game!

jhyphene 3 years, 6 months ago

The picture of Thomas and his little sister really made this real for me. Obviously a tragic deal. Hope they find comfort in their memories of their mother and the support of those around them.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

next saturday, start him! who cares if he goes out there and stinks up the joint for a couple of minutes. let him hear his named called and give jayhawk nation a chance to show their support for this young man by cheering so loud they blow the roof off of afh.

oldalum 3 years, 6 months ago

He'd get more applause if he came off the bench alone than he would if he came out with the whole team as a starter. I'm hoping he's first man off the bench.

ferdthemooncat 3 years, 6 months ago

I'd guess TRob is about a 50L.
That's a mighty fine picture of a very good, young man.

mispay4ku 3 years, 6 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience....AGREE! I don't care if his game is totally off; I think TRob feels like he needs to be with his Jayhawk family, too. I just want him to be where he can heal the most and if the court is that place, then I totally support it. My next tickets are for the Mizzou game but I hope AFH is very, ok...abnormally loud on Saturday. RCJH--what an amazing group of guys we have!

mispay4ku 3 years, 6 months ago

Also, heartfelt thoughts to Selby and his family for their loss. Tears for the entire team...

tailg8prty 3 years, 6 months ago

I would like to give credit to the KU players, family and friends. As well as the fans, I think we have done all we can to support TROB. Nobody can imagine what he is going through but hopefully Jhawk nation will take care of that. You are loved as well as your sister. You are a part of our family. Please take what the fans can give with all do respect.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 6 months ago

Holy cr@p...I can't believe this, but I completely agree with ahpersecoachingexperience. I hope it never happens again!!

Still...start TRob and blow the roof off during introductions.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

funny, ya jerk off ;) although if he did come off the bench there might be a cal ripken esque type pause where t-rob runs through afh giving all 16300 a high five.

KUFan90 3 years, 6 months ago

Might be almost even louder to have him first off the bench when everyone can just be focused on him. They might need to delay restarting the game...it would certainly be an emotional moment.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 6 months ago

I sure hope there is adequate oversight for this young girl. A man just out of the joint is possibly inadquate of providing much in the way of material living. I mean, people don't just line up & say I'll hire this guy. And this economy is friggin awful even for college grads. Also there's the possibility that he could get his hand in the till as well. Heaven forbid this could occur. Hopefully there's someone on the maternal side that can step up for TRob's little sister. Time is certainly of the essence here. TRob has great support & will mature as a cared about & confident young man but geez, this little girl is just a baby. Whenever he does enter the Sat game, hold on to the Puffs, you'll need em'. Wow, what a crossroad in life for this man. My gut feeling is TRob should be able to get legal guardianship if that's what he wishes. And I hope he does. Alot of us had to grow up fast & looking back, there's very little you'd change. Doing the right thing when the moment is there is what's important. Josh has some serious soul searching to do also. My heartfelt sympathies to both of these young men.

REHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow! 7years of age and making that sad phonecall. Those kids deserve a long respite from family tragedy. Josh, our hearts are with you, as well. What a stressful week for Jayhawk players....

Trent Smith 3 years, 6 months ago

I would like to see 16300 people walk onto the floor after the game and give the young man an AFH sized group hug. I know we don't storm the court, but he sure needs the love.

Sally Presson 3 years, 6 months ago

Definately start both Thomas & Josh, they need to feel the love we all have for them. I can guarantee there won't be a roof on Allen Field House when the call their names!!! Wish I could be there, but will be glued to the TV and screaming my self. My heart absolutely aches for Thomas and his sister, they are way too young to lose their Mom. I'm thinking once Jayla was here with Thomas and starting a new life w/him and making new friends would give her a fresh start in a positive environment, if she has lots of family in DC I can understand, hopefully she does.

Josh I'm so sorry about your friend, this is a rough time for you too. Please know we're all sending our love and affection to help you heal. Play the rest of the season for your friend!!!