Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Keegan

KU’s Josh Selby bolder vs. Colorado

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-78 victory over Colorado on Jan. 25, 2011.

Download podcast

— There he was sitting on the bench and watching again Tuesday night toward the end of the game, just as he was the first nine games of the season because the NCAA had suspended him.

There he was sitting and watching again, just as he had been when his performance gave his coach no reason to want to trust him in crunch time.

The difference for Josh Selby this time was he had played a huge part in giving Kansas University its lead on the way to an 82-78 victory against Colorado in the wild Coors Event Center.

Selby — who did make a brief appearance in the final minute because of his free-throw accuracy — scored 15 of his 17 points in the first half and contributed five assists and four rebounds with just one turnover. A sprained ankle he suffered late in the first half robbed him of his explosiveness and limited him to 10 second-half minutes.

“That bothered me a little bit in the second half because my mobility wasn’t there, but I’ll get some treatment on it, and I’ll be fine,” Selby said.

As for his psyche coming off the first real slump of his entire basketball life, Selby sounded as if that already had been treated during Monday’s practice.

“I had a talk with coach (Bill Self), and he told me he wanted me to be more aggressive,” said Selby, a 6-foot-2, 183-pound freshman from Baltimore. “So I just tried to come out here and be aggressive scoring, either get me or one of my teammates a shot.”

Selby didn’t waste any time bringing it to the Buffaloes. On his first chance, he took it right to the paint, broke down the defense, and the possession ended with Tyrel Reed drilling a three from the left corner.

During his 15 first-half minutes, Selby had scored on a runner, a pair of jumpers and a trio of three-pointers and had three assists. A couple of the shots that went in might not have looked like wise choices, but they went in, and for a player with his talent, that’s better than playing with too much caution.

“I was playing not to make mistakes,” Selby said of his rough patch. “Now, since I had that conversation with coach, everything is fine.”

Selby made seven of 14 shots and three of six three-pointers. In his previous six games, Selby had shot .304 overall and .227 on three-point shots while trying to figure out how to make his talents blossom playing with so much talent on his side and so much on the other side.

“It’s huge for him,” fellow slump-buster Brady Morningstar said of Selby’s big game. “First half, he came out hot, and that’s what we needed. He hasn’t been that way for a while, and it’s great for him to get his stuff going because I know on Saturday (against Kansas State) we’re going to need him. He’s a big part of our team, and when he’s playing well, it makes everything else go a little easier.”

It never comes as a shock when an athlete new to the college game slips into a funk.

“He’s a freshman, he’s young,” Morningstar said. “You know he’s going to have games where he goes up and down, up and down, but the games we really need him in are games like this, where it’s close and he comes out and gets confidence early because that gets him going for the rest of the game.”

Kansas (19-1 overall, 4-1 in the Big 12) has 11 conference contests, as many as three Big 12 tournament tilts and as many as six NCAA Tournament games remaining. Will he get enough practice time and game action during that time to develop consistency?

“For sure,” Morningstar said. “There’s definitely enough time left for anybody to become a consistent performer. And we’re going to need that out of him. I think he’s capable of that for sure.”

Comments

tbbucboy21 10 years, 10 months ago

"fellow slump-buster" lol thats a first

longhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, that "slump-buster" comment gave me a visual I didn't need to think about.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Apologize for the off-topic question, but....

Can anyone at the game confirm if the fans were chanting "F-you Kansas" at the end of the game (I believe while Reed was shooting a free throw)? That's what it sounded like on ESPN Full Court.

Of course, they're always classy in Boulder....

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

Uh, Jesse Newell was at the game, and LA, that's what Jesses said they were saying. Pretty sad when before the game they had a moment of silence for Lisa Robinson.

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

Jesse--- didn't mean to misspell your first name in the last post.

ccarp 10 years, 10 months ago

Think they said "hope you miss it/this", i was impressed with the "let's go jay jayhawks" during a pair of burks free throws. Man, wish I could have seen a game in AFH far west! :-)

jhox 10 years, 10 months ago

They're a bunch of 18 to 22 year old Colorado kids. It was probably just the reefer talking.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 10 months ago

Maybe they were showing their appreciation for the years together in the Big 12 together by chanting,,,,,"Thank you Kansas". Nah, it was just he beer talking at the Coors Event Center!

Janette Crotinger 10 years, 10 months ago

No beer was sold. It was just a classless bunch of fans. I was there!

Janette Crotinger 10 years, 10 months ago

No beer was sold. It was just a classless bunch of fans. I was there!

Lone_salina_kufan 10 years, 10 months ago

Not sure if Im thinking of the same moment, but I rewound it several times to listen to it, and I heard "Lost to Texas". But who knows

Jared Grillot 10 years, 10 months ago

If so, they were reaching on that one, since it would place us in some fairly good (figuratively) company. It would be similar (note: similar, NOT the same) to someone chanting "Lost to Kansas" at... well... just about anyone.

DallasHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Pretty sure it was F-you Kansas. Had a friend at the game that confirmed. They started the chant in the first half too and I had to rewind it, but it was clear in the final minutes. Pretty classless. I was at the football game 2 years ago in Boulder and they aren't peaceful hippies I can assure you.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 10 months ago

Someone should tell the CU students that patchouli oil does not do a very good job of covering up body odor!

Doug Fisher 10 years, 10 months ago

As someone who lives very close to Boulder, I can tell you it's not that "hippie" these days. Yuppie is more like it and all the California transplants have taken over the town which makes it fitting for CU to go to the PAC-10. Good riddance Buffs!!

TenaciousD 10 years, 10 months ago

I was there. That's what it sounded like to me. I would think Tad Boyle, the AD and Chancellor would be embarassed. That's taking sportsmanship to a new low. Not to mention any type of family atmosphere.

Jared Grillot 10 years, 10 months ago

They obviously will be terribly sad to never see us show up on their court again. :) How often will they sell out now?

kubball99 10 years, 10 months ago

I was at the game last night, and yes, it was "F U Kansas." Like always, the students at Boulder are classy. For CU students, there isn't much they can save given our dominance: 17 straight and 42 out of the last 43.

Other than the student section, most of the other CU fans were pretty tame. The one thing that I did notice this year was that there was a considerable increase in the number of CU fans at the game over years past. Definitely a good turnout on the Kansas side and I think the players noticed the support.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 10 months ago

I was at the game too. F U Kansas from the student section came through loud and clear. Several in my area chanted back Ver-ry Class-sy during that chant. All regular CU fans around us were embarrased.

Overall very sad to see our last game there. They are so screwed getting any of that Pac-worthless fans to fill their seats.

Brian Conrad 10 years, 10 months ago

from the Denver paper

" And the venom flowed thick. During a moment of silence for Kansas sophomore Thomas Robinson, home in Washington after his mother died Friday night, a Colorado student yelled, "(Bleep) Kansas!"

Yes, Tuesday night in Boulder, class was definitely out."

haydenhawkco 10 years, 10 months ago

It's been about 4 years but the last KU football game I attended the KU student body chanted"rip his f###ing head off"! during the kickoff.
I agree that Boulder crowds aren't known for their class but what about the KU student body? I don't know - maybe it's changed at KU.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I may be splitting hairs here, hayden, but I see a bit of a difference between the two. The football chant was only said during kickoffs and was more an expression to pump up our players, rather than a direct expletive pointed at an entire team and fan base.

Also, there is a reason why our same student section didn't say something similar in Allen Fieldhouse: a chant like that is much, much clearer in the smaller enclosed space like a gym than an open air stadium. Yes, the football chant could be heard on TV if you were holding your ear close to listen for it (and knew what they were saying), but the Boulder chant was quite clear.

It is also important to point out that our athletic department -- Mangino, Perkins, et al -- worked to try and get the students to refrain from that chant. In fact, I believe the UDK held a vote on an alternative chant (which was actually a stupid idea... tell 18-20 year olds with beer in their system to hold their tongue and they just scream louder). Interesting to see if CUAD reacts in a similar way.

Yes, our chant was callow and crude, but the CU chant goes to a whole other level. Just completely classless.

RockChalk26 10 years, 10 months ago

They were chanting "F-you KU," towards the beginning of the game too. I was watching the game on my computer with my Dr. Dre Beats and the chant was very noticeable.

I guess loosing 29 out of 30 games to KU is starting to wear on the Colorado fan base :)

buttsauce 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm glad you disclosed the headphones you were wearing.

shimjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

was f-you KU......see below link

CU fans always have thought they are so great and always dump on other locations in the Big 12. You should hear radio talk out here in Denver. I really don't think I could ever root for CU, I wish Tad Boyle would move on to somewhere else. We used to go to the games in Boulder and afterwards would be cussed out everytime, even when we had kids with us. Stay classy, Boulder.

OreadFog 10 years, 10 months ago

They were in fact chanting that to the surprise of my wife and I. Couldn't believe it until I paid better attention.

s6u6r6f 10 years, 10 months ago

43 out of 44. They can chant anything they want, the losers. Hope they enjoy being doormats in some other league next year. Rock chalk.

Jim Roth 10 years, 10 months ago

No, we want to the doormats of our league to become conference champs of the Pac-10. Evidence of the vast superiority of Big 12 basketball.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 10 months ago

"as many as three Big 12 tournament tilts and as many as six NCAA Tournament games remaining."

I know that we are all counting on the Jayhawks having a first round bye in the Big 12 Tourney and a high seed in the NCAA. But isn't the format such that any team that finished in the bottom 8 would have to win 4 games to win the conference tournament? And I hate to be to picky but now there are 8 teams that could play in as many as 7 games in the NCAA tourney extremely improbably that Kansas will be one of those teams, but only remote that Kansas finishes 5th or lower in the Big 12...

Greg Lux 10 years, 10 months ago

Only Remote? 5? or lower? .... Impossible to unimaginable to unthinkable to " R U NUTS ! " :)

Rock Chalk

Woody Cragg 10 years, 10 months ago

Good Roosevelt, damn good! So long Boulder & AFHW. They (we) really needed this. Happy to see the posters are bristling up the fur too. We used to get in dutch for chanting "flip the birds" when we played the Cards. How times have changed. As for the buster comment-glad he didn"t say mutton!

Woody Cragg 10 years, 10 months ago

Way too many jump shots & not enough free throws. Josh may get the car keys a little more often now. Need more slashing & lots more "free shots" as Ray Stevens would say.

Robert Brock 10 years, 10 months ago

Just make sure that the slashing doesn't end up with a big TO. The kid is learning.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 10 months ago

1-5 TO's to A's last night. Not bad at all.

Glen Darge 10 years, 10 months ago

It's about time Selby did something. There aree others warming the bench that could have done better by now.

KUFan90 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey Model - maybe if you post this comment on every article someone will eventually take your bait, huh?

You must lead a pretty boring life if this is your idea of excitement.

kubball99 10 years, 10 months ago

I wonder how many games you've actually seen Selby play? This isn't the first game he's played well in. Maybe you can cut him a little slack as almost all freshmen "hit a wall" during the season.

bayareajhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Josh hit everything he threw up prior to the ankle injury, and he missed almost everything he threw up afterword. I don't think they are covering anything up here. It looked to me like he was feeling great, hurt his ankle, and then had to change his game a little bit to compensate. I wish he could have ridden that hot streak a little longer!

Woody Cragg 10 years, 10 months ago

He's just a kid so doesn't know how to act mature. Kids wear their feelings on their sleeves. Like Brock says "he's still learning."

KU_alum_2001 10 years, 10 months ago

ESPN released its first "NBA Mock Draft Lottery" today and they essentially have Selby as a Top 12 pick. I'm a bit surprised by this but also don't know how thoroughly they analyzed the lower lottery picks (but it is ESPN so I'm guessing they did their homework). Should be interesting to see what he decides. Obviously the money game tends to win out and if a guy thinks he'll be a lottery, he's likely going to go for it rather than risk injury (barring an NBA lockout, of course). I guess we'll find out in a few months, though.

If you look at the rosters of KU and Mizzou, neither has a clear opening for Ben (as a starter)... unless Selby were to leave, so I guess we can look at this as potentially having some insurance, although Ben will likely decide well before Selby does.

I clearly think Selby could benefit from another year at KU but also realize that's sometimes immaterial once the term "lottery pick" gets used.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

The NBA still drafts on potential and probably always will regardless of the number of flops. Selby absolutely could use another year to polish (and in some cases completely develop) his game, but it is clear he has potential to be a superstar.

As for Ben, I have a feeling he won't make up his mind until April-ish. Just as you pointed out, I have a feeling he (or perhaps more accurately, his family) wants to see where he would stand with each team with respect to playing time. Of course, that's complete speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 10 months ago

He isn't ready for the next step yet, hasn't really even taken the first. The "marriage" treatment at the next level might ruin him for good. You know, where all your ups & downs ain't between the sheets. Glad I've never heard that.

KansasComet 10 years, 10 months ago

We are lucky we have a player that is as talented as Josh Selby. Any talk of whether he is ready for the NBA or not is just that - talk. If he declared for the draft, he is a lottery pick. If he decides to stay, I will be happy for KU. Josh is not allowed to take over games in Coach Self's system. He is just trying to fit in, much like EJ, and has had to dial it back a notch which has led to mistakes. Both are excellent five star players trying to fit into Coach Self's system, which has very little to do with NBA.

PhogAdvisory 10 years, 10 months ago

Bolder in Boulder, eh? I see what you did thar, Keegan.

Bear86 10 years, 10 months ago

In JN's pre-game Q&A session with Keegan Markieff Morris was Keegan's choice to have a break out game. Markieff had zero points at 1/2 time and finished the game with 6 points. Keeg's really has his pulse on this team. F-Texas!!

shimjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Wanted to pass along this article on ESPN.....didn't realize that this guy is on KU staff....what a touching story.

Rodney Stice 10 years, 10 months ago

That was an awesome article. I remember the day that very well.