Kansas defeats Colorado, 82-78

• 7 p.m., Jan. 25, 2011
  • Coors Events Conference Center, Boulder, CO

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fitting tribute: KU basketball pays ‘respect’ to Lisa Robinson in win over Colorado

Kansas guard Josh Selby (32) celebrates with teammates Markieff Morris (21) and Marcus Morris after a KU bucket against Colorado during the second half on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 at the Coors Events Center in Boulder.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-78 victory over Colorado on Jan. 25, 2011.

Download podcast

— Marcus Morris tapped his fist over the initials “LR,” which were sewn right above the American flag on his Kansas University basketball jersey, each and every time he shot a free throw Tuesday night in Coors Events Center.

He hit five charities in six tries, including two with :16.9 seconds remaining in KU’s 82-78 victory over Colorado — all in memory of Lisa Robinson, the mother of KU sophomore Thomas Robinson who died Friday night of an apparent heart attack in Washington, D.C.

“I did it to show respect. I felt I was close to her, too,” said Morris, who scored 15 points and grabbed five rebounds as KU (19-1 overall, 4-1 Big 12) claimed its eighth straight victory in Boulder and 16th in a row versus the Buffs (14-7, 3-3). “I’ll do it for her the rest of the year.”

Morris cut short a cell-phone conversation with Robinson to speak with reporters in a hallway 20 minutes after the game. Robinson flew from Lawrence back to D.C. to be with his sister, Jayla Paris, on Monday afternoon.

“He said, ‘Good game, cousin. Way to hold it down, cousin.’ We call each other cousin, even though we are brothers,” Morris said of Robinson.

Morris — he and the Jayhawks will fly charter to D.C. this afternoon in preparation for Thursday morning’s funeral — revealed for the first time Tuesday that he was with Robinson when Robinson fielded the phone call from his 9-year-old sister late Friday night.

The call was to inform Thomas that Lisa Robinson had passed away.

“Me, Kieff (Markieff Morris, six points, 11 boards Tuesday) and T. Rob were sitting in the room. He got a voicemail from his sister. She said to call him, and it was serious. He called back. He said he didn’t want any more bad news (his grandmother died in December and his grandfather a couple of Sundays ago). She told him. He dropped down in tears. He felt he lost a big piece of everything in his life,” Morris said.

The good news is, “He’s getting better,” Marcus Morris said.

Robinson’s spirits were lifted a bit before he headed home. KU coach Bill Self showed him the tribute stitched onto the KU jerseys — the initials LR, in white, enclosed in a black circle.

“He was pretty excited about it,” Self said.

The Jayhawks, who have had heavy hearts, came out energized Tuesday, using a 14-4 run to build a 27-17 lead. KU led by 10 a few times, but never any more than that.

“I don’t think we were the most energized group ever,” Self said. “I do think our attitude was good. Our heads were right. They know Thomas is gonna be OK. They’ll feel better after they go out there tomorrow with him and the funeral Thursday.”

KU guards Josh Selby and Brady Morningstar busted slumps by scoring 15 and 11 the first half as KU built a 43-39 halftime margin.

Morningstar finished with 14 points and Selby, who was slowed by an ankle sprain the second 20 minutes, 17 points.

It marked Morningstar’s first double-digit scoring outing of the season.

“He hadn’t made them in a while. It (shot) definitely looked better. He’s worked awfully hard,” Self said. “And it was good to see Josh be aggressive.”

The Jayhawks led by 10 points with 11 minutes left and six with just :52 to play. But it took six of six free-throw shooting in the final minute (two by Tyshawn Taylor, two by Reed and two by Marcus Morris) to help hold off the Buffs, who were led by Alec Burks and Cory Higgins, who had 25 and 19.

“Free throws were good. At the end of the game, every point counts,” said Marcus Morris, who hopes to hit a lot more the rest of the year — the rest of his life — for Robinson’s mom.

KU will meet Kansas State at 6 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 10 years, 12 months ago

Whether we win a national championship or not - this is my all time favorite KU basketball team. These guys have a lot of character, leadership, and camaraderie. All for one and one for all !!! It's great to watch these guys play basketball each and every game.

Amanda Gorman 10 years, 12 months ago

I agree - this is my favorite team, too. I love these guys!

Ashwin Rao 10 years, 12 months ago

I agree too! I don't know if it is the internet or something else, I have (at least a one way) personal connection with everyone. I like the fact that they are kids, and handle it the way kids do. I like the way they don't have a chip on their shoulder. Finally, I like the way they treat each other. Love the camaraderie in the team. Way to go KU, way to go Coach Self for instilling that in them! It is hard to do that with so many 5 stars in the mix!

Dubsix 10 years, 12 months ago

I really like this team too, but I wouldn't call it my all time favorite. Have you forgotten the teams of the past? Like the years with Gooden, Hinrich, Collison, Simien, Langford and Miles? Or the years with the twin towers Pollard and LaFrentz, and Vaughn and Pierce. I could go on and on, there have been tons awesome teams play here at Kansas. Hard for me to label this my favorite, all though they are really good.

James Miller 10 years, 12 months ago

This is why I love being a Jayhawk!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsey Buscher 10 years, 12 months ago

Why the hell is the universe sh*tting on TRob so much??? At least he's got basketball and a great basketball family, that has to be a big comfort for him.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

The shots were raining down last night. Those nets were on fire! Who is #12 anyway? Haven't seen that kid in a while. Nice game by Brady although he was left standing still a few times after Burks blew right by him. Outstanding shooting by Selby too. What a nice surprise to see some decent free throw shooting down the stretch. That was the difference in the game. Hope that game gave TRob something to smile about. Bye bye Boulder. Enjoy your 1000 mile trips to the West Coast.

Ed Brown 10 years, 12 months ago

12? Isn't that the kid who is the coach's favorite and can't play and should be thrown off the team?? Thank you, Brady, for showing up when we really needed you!

If you look at the stats, Colorado shot the lights out on 3's especially but were very efficient shooting the ball. Now let's get them to AFH and give them their final good riddance sendoff.

laughing55 10 years, 12 months ago

Uptown - Brady's one of the best defenders on the team. Feeds the best passes on the team. Did you miss his pass for the dunk? The guy who got by him a few times happens to be their best player and a possible All Big 12. Did he date your ex-girlfriend or what?

brooksmd 10 years, 12 months ago

laughing55...uptown is probably referring to an individual from nebr who gets on here and totally rags on Brady no matter what he does. Also thinks HCBS should be fired for playing Brady. Real A$$.

Lindsey Buscher 10 years, 12 months ago

McMorris on Robinson: "We call each other cousin, even though we are brothers."

That's just a funny statement.

Ty Mar 10 years, 12 months ago

I thought it was pretty powerful :) like band of brothers powerful.

MGJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

1) Colorado is for real. Burks and Higgins are a great front court option.

2) Why does it seem like every team busts 3's against us so easily. I sometimes disagree with coach Self and how he teaches to help on the drive to open up a kickout for a wide open 3. Seems like every team that keeps it close with us shoots at least 40% from 3 point range.

3) I liked that we ended the game by making our free throws. Shows poise and toughness in a tough environment.

4) This win was huge. I think this win is just as important of a win we've had this year. Coming off a damaging weekend, this should get our confidence back to a level to compete with anyone.

5) Great job by the team to do this for their brother T Rob. I agree with much of the above comments that these guys are becoming my favorite squad. Life and family are way more important than college basketball. Maturity is really setting in with this group especially with the Morris'.

7) Our defense will lose us more games than save us. That is our #1 problem right now.

jayhawktalk 10 years, 12 months ago

"6) If anyone watched the game on Jayhawk Network last night, Reed Getys needs to never commentate a Kansas game ever again. He was so anti-KU it made me sick. Why would we schedule a guy to commentate a KU game that is not pro-KU???? I would understand if it was the Big 12 network but it was the Jayhawk Network!!!"

Couldn't agree more. He was horrible.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 12 months ago

Actually, the game was on the YES (Yankees) Network aired as part of the Big XII Network. Agree however about Getys and I don't know who was worse Getys or that ref O'Neill!

kuballhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Agreed. Getys was horrible. Why so anti-KU?

kcglowboy 10 years, 12 months ago

It's odd because in previous years he made me uncomfortable because he was so enthusiastically pro-KU that I felt he was being unprofessional.

MGJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

I was wrong. It was the Big 12 Network. Still not sure how someone could be so anti-KU.

Debbie Mangen 10 years, 12 months ago

Clark Kellogg has never liked KU, EVER! I almost hate it more when he does a game than when Vital is doing the color.

GilbertAZ 10 years, 12 months ago

I agree drgnslayr! I have always liked Kellogg, but what he said was just plain stupid. I never thought that what happened was intentional, but it was obvious it was a foul on Texas.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Don't forget the camera man that day. He was killin' me.

jcepp 10 years, 12 months ago

KU holds opponents to 27.7% from 3. 4th best in the country. Maybe HCBS is on to something.

Fail.

FarSideHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Oh, so it was Reed Getys! I kept thinking it was Greg Gurley (sounded like him to me) and kept wondering what had crawled into him all of a sudden.

bayareajhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

I don't think Gettys is anti-KU. I think he's just an idiot.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Considering the events that took place over the weekend and that will continue to take place through this week, I think the Jayhawks handled themselves pretty darn well at Colorado. It wasn't always pretty at times, especially from a defensive standpoint, but the Jayhawks got the job done on the road and that is all you can ask for after an emotionally spent weekend.

Offensive Highlights: You have to love the energy the Jayhawks came out with from tip. Yes, I'm sure the Jayhawks were still playing the "Emotional" card, but from an energy standpoint, the hawks played pretty balanced throughout the game.

Some things to note from the Jayhawks is that they had 19 assists on 29 FG attempts so that is a good sign from a distributing standpoint. That ratio was higher against Colorado than against the other Big 12 foes KU has faced this year. KU shot 29-57 for just over 50 percent. KU was all over the boards defensively and offensively, but it was nice to see KU grab 11 offensive boards.

Some other interesting stats is that KU shot pretty well from behind the arc 10-24 although I find the "24" a little high for my taste. Nonetheless, anytime you can shoot better than 40 percent from behind the arc than that is success in my book. Finally, I was also very estatic to see the Jayhawks shoot well "In the Clutch" from the charity stripe. They shot 14-18 and two of those misses were from Reed which was uncharacteristic. Marcus and Taylor went a combined 9 for 10 so that was very encouraging.

Defensive Highlights: Anytime you shut out the opponent in the first half with a big doughnut in the offensive rebounding category that is impressive. I know Colorado is small on their frontline, but they are feisty and aggressive and they still only ended up with 2 offensive boards for the game.

As I said above, KU was all over the boards and dominated that category 35-19. I think defensively there were a lot of rotation problems last night especially with high screen at the top of the key. That's usually where KU gets beat defensively is the pick and roll defense and then help coming from the weak side. It happened a lot the first half, but then KU starting cleaning that up. However, where KU is usually really good with on the ball defending, Colorado was pretty much getting to the rim when they wanted. Credit Higgins and Burks because I think those two individually could make any defense look foolish at times.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Player of the game: I was having a hard time initially coming up with a guy, but despite Selby's second half, Selby set the tone from the first second of the game with his energy, aggressiveness, and his pure joy to play the game. IMO that is exactly what KU needed after T-Rob's weekend.

You can't complain much about Selby's first half. Kid was on fire and he was simply balling out there hitting the perimeter shots and also getting in the lane. I think he finally hit his first "Floater" of the season early in the first half off the baseline. He had 15 points in the first half, but finished the game with 17 points 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover in 25 minutes.

His second half production dropped significantly and I was a little concerned he wasn't going to make it back into the game the last 3 or 4 minutes. I know Self wanted to get the "W", but I thought Selby should have been in there. He did get back in there the last 40 seconds for ball handling, but I thought he should have been in there. The Selby I saw in the first 5 minutes of the game dribbling and picking his spots and smiling is the Selby I wanted to see in the second half as well. He's got to be able to keep that energy level up for the entire 40 minutes. Other than that, great start, great game, and he's still learning to play a 40 minute college game. It will come.

Tyrel Reed: Tyrel had an up and down game. The thing I love about Reed is that everytime I started to get the feeling that "He just doesn't have it tonight" the kid makes a play and he kept fighting through his frustrating play. Reed had two key drives in this game at crucial parts of the game that kept KU in the lead. Reed's determination and fight tonight was phenominal. That's what senior leaders do and I was proud of Reed tonight. He didn't shoot great, made some silly turnovers, missed some FT's that were uncharacteristic, but Reed's character showed through on why he's a very valuable asset to this team. He finished 4-11 from the field, 2-8 from downtown for 14 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assist, 3 turnovers, in 27 minutes

The Twins: You could tell Marcus and Kieff were a little frustrated in the first half when they weren't getting any touches. Marcus was 2-2 with 4 points in the first half and Kieff was 0-2 for 4 total FG attempts. They both finished the game 8-12 so you could tell they definitely had an "Impact" in the second half. Much to my surprise this is the first game that both Kieff and Marcus had zeros in the 3 point FG attempts department. Wow!

Marcus overall was 5-6 for 15 points and had 5 rebounds. Marcus disappeared at times, but he also was getting a lot of double teams. I literally thought Marcus got hosed on all 4 of his fouls, but then again you have to play through that type of adversity. I think Marcus does a good job of letting the game come to him, but he's got find a way to Impact the game in other ways when he's not scoring and getting double teamed.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Kieff always makes some bonehead plays offensively in the game, but there is no denying his importance on the defensive boards. He finished the game with 11 boards, but unlike his brother he seemed very disinterested during spurts of this game. I don't know if the smaller frontline was getting to him, but his energy level was lacking at times during this game. I am sure T-Rob's situation is affecting him so it's understandable. Big game on Saturday Twins. Good Job!

Morningstar: Where in the Brady did that Morningstar come from? His stroke came back and it came like a shooting star. Wow! Morningstar had a great game. Heck he had a breakout game from a shooting performance. He shot 5-9 overall, 4-7 from downtown and finished with 14 pionts, 1 rebound, 3 assists, 1 turnover in 25 minutes.

Yes, Brady took 1 bad shot (Heck he was feeling it so I don't blame him for chucking that shot in the corner), had his "Hitch" in another shot, had a bad turnover late in the game, and got beat a couple of times by Burks and Higgins "Standing Still". With that said, Morningstar played fantastic and anybody defensively is going to look foolish at times guard both Higgins and Burks. Those two guys are phenominal players. Break out game for Morningstar and maybe T-Rob's situation had a major affect on Brady. I have no idea, but I enjoyed watching him playing tonight. It was great to see and he deserved a game like this.

Taylor: Taylor played really well IMO tonight. He took care of the ball, distributed nicely (That dump off to Marcus with 16 seconds left was pretty despite the pressure and magnitude of the game at that point), and picked his spots to score. I was very impressed with Taylor. He had that bogus charge call late in the game. It actually was a charge, but the mind boggling part is the fact that Colorado was basically "Intentionally" fouling him before that. That was one of Taylor's turnover, but that's not on him. Great stat line and a great job of being a floor general.

Johnson: He's doing his job like he's suppose to. Johnson still intrigues and confuses me all that same time. I still believe he's playing to "Not Make Mistakes" rather than just playing ball out there. I wish he would get more aggressive in the half court offensive set category, but we may not see it this year. With that said, he did have 4 assists in 12 minutes with 0 turnovers so it's hard to complain too much about EJ. That was a nice dunk off the lob pass in transition.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Withey: Got some nice minutes. He definitely needs to work on his "Seal Off" in the post. KU had a turnover simply because he didn't "Seal". That's on Withey. He did get some big rebounds as he had 4 rebounds in 8 minutes. It would have been nice if he could have flushed that dunk in transition from Morningstar. Decent game for Withey. He's still got a long way to go, but there is definitely potential there. He needs to hit the gym or something. He just looks "Weak" out there.

Little: Nothing great, Nothing bad, nothing impressive, just solid minutes at the 4. I didn't think Little played that much, but when I looked at the box score and he had 17 minutes, I was a little surprised. I know he got 10 min in the first half so his production dropped off in the second.

In the end, great win for the Hawks on the road against a pretty good Colorado squad despite the circumstances. Looking forward to the K-State game and T-Rob being back in the lineup. Still thinkin about you T-Rob.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

I forgot about Selby tweaking his ankle. That may have led to his decreased production in the second half, and rightfully so.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 12 months ago

Withey also needs to eat more pork chops smothered in gravy!

SherronBallins 10 years, 12 months ago

that botched alley opp by withey was painful to watch. Not going to bash on him though....even though i did say some choice words at the time

Dan Harris 10 years, 12 months ago

wrapped in bacon chased by a milkshake or 2

GeoHawk15 10 years, 12 months ago

Wow, Burks and Higgins are for real. Those 2 guys definitely gave us problems. And I can't believe that CU shot almost 70% from 3! It wasn't pretty at times, but a solid performance from the Hawks on the road. What really impressed me was every time CU made a big play and got the crowd back into the game, KU came right back with a play of their own to shut 'em up. That showed great heart, T-Rob would be proud!

FLJHK 10 years, 12 months ago

"This season will leave no boys behind." Well said drgnslayr. I like it.

Robert Brock 10 years, 12 months ago

Our offense looked reasonably sharp last night. The shocker to me was our lack of defensive rotation on the high screen. If we had played that a little tighter the game would have been a lot easier W.

Danny Hernandez 10 years, 12 months ago

I don't know what type of "family" atmosphere Mike Anderson breeds over at mu, BUT hopefully, Ben Mclemore's mother can see the real family atmoshere that surrounds the Kansas basketball team now. I'm proud of these young men and even more proud that they represent KU..

Tim McCabe 10 years, 12 months ago

I thought I'd suggest someone from the SNR Denton Firm setting up a Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund collection online. I think that would bring in many more donations than just going with the snail mail address.

jcepp 10 years, 12 months ago

Good idea. But your comment would be better made to SNR Denton. Here's a url to their 'contact us' form.

Sally Presson 10 years, 12 months ago

Love, love, love this team!!! Did from the start, you can just see they are all on the same page with the same goal. Loved Thomas from the first time he came on the court, he's such a great young man. I hope they publish all the good things these guys are doing to help TRob instead of negative things. Thomas' tragedy sure puts us all in a different mind set--what can we do to help him through this. He couldn't be at a better place to help him. I'm so proud of KU and all they're doing.

Go hawks!!! Keep up the good work!!

justinryman 10 years, 12 months ago

Let me begin by saying I will never blame the officals for a loss or thank them for a win. Now with that said, why can't KU get one call from the Big12 refs this year? Ty Taylor gets his shirt untucked and they call him for a charge, even the Colorado crowd was mistified.

Maybe KU just isn't drawing fouls like other teams, but the free throw disparity seems to be very large this year against KU. Is it that our bigs try to block to many shots, we are out of deffensive postion? Is it that our bigs are too strong so when they get fouled going for a dunk it only lools like a miss?

Maybe in my convoluted mind I believe that Texas gave the officials a little of that $300 mil. from ESPN to keep Texas at the top? OK I know thats not true, but whay is the reason? Is it that the Big12 dosent want to be embarrased by our FT%? Then why is Kstate getting to the line so much?

I am very empressed with the composure of Reed this year, only he seems to bother himself. He dosnet let other teams get in his head, the twins, TRob and Selby, Taylor and even Brady get into these little mind games with other teams, have to get in the last word, a pushing match or what not. It takes them out of thier game and the team out if the game plan as well.

Again why isn't KU getting the calls from the Big12 refs?

SaulGood 10 years, 12 months ago

:) A bit dramatic for my tastes, but spot-on. Lazy defense earns fouls. Setting moving picks by not moving the feet fast enough to beat the defender to the spot earns fouls. Definitely going to create a pattern and keep attention on us when we certainly don't want it. Kudos on an erudite summation!

Dan Harris 10 years, 12 months ago

Marcus was standing flatfooted, stationary, arms straight up and got called for blocking,Total BS!

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 12 months ago

I think we beat Arizona pretty convincingly.

Offensively, given our relative lack of size and the skill sets of our players, we should be running a lot -- maybe even more than we do. Our guys just have to make better decisions on the fly -- esp. TT and Selby.

As far as defense, your point is well taken. This really is a good defensive team, as all Self's teams are, but too often we seem to play D with our hands rather than our feet, which gets us into foul trouble.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

You are at the core of the problem.

Footwork in everything but the missionary position is crucial.

tis4tim 10 years, 12 months ago

Except in the rarest of instances, I would agree that blaming the refs for a loss is a pointless endeavor, but I think refereeing has gone downhill in general. There seems to be too much anticipatory behavior on the part of the striped ones. They whistle calls with the expectation of a certain outcome before the outcome is actually determined. I don't know if that is a factor of the athletes these days being bigger, stronger and faster, or something entirely different, but it seems they make calls more on hunch and situational likelihood of something happening than what actually happens. Then again, that charge call on TT at the end of the game yesterday would totally shoot down the game situation theory. So, maybe it's inconsistency that is so bothersome.

I thought that in the Texas game the number of whistles in the second half, regardless of who the fouls were called on, negated our deeper bench and hurt us in the long run. Yes, we shot 3-18 from the field at one point, which is probably the real issue there, but stopping play that often gave TU's six-man rotation ample time to catch its collective breath helping to keep them fresher than they otherwise would have been had the refs let them play at a bit more freewheeling pace.

Of course, there is the conspiratorial side of me thinks that as more and more money is at stake with these gargantuan television deals, the more inclined the refs will be to keep games close. Blowouts are never in the best interests of networks or advertisers. It's a little far-fetched to suggest that games are kept close artificially, but I do wonder sometimes.

Craig Lang 10 years, 12 months ago

Is there any news on Releford? Last I heard, he was supposed to play in the Texas game, and obviously didn't. The fact that he didn't play yesterday makes me think this ankle injury is more serious than we originally thought. But I did not hear any mention of him on TV or in any articles I have read. Obviously I don't want him to play until both he and Self are sure that he's good to go, but an update would be nice.

SaulGood 10 years, 12 months ago

Totally. I know I'm personally missing his production. He makes everyone better by making their jobs easier. I'm with you, though as well, that he'd better not set foot on the floor until he's 100%.

TommieSmithElbow 10 years, 12 months ago

Find it ironic that in an article with the headline that has the word "Respect" in it, we heard the Colorado fans chant: "F### You Kansas!" (Colorado's version of the "Rock Chalk Chant"?)

There have been a lot of wild cheers throughout the years, but that was so devoid of class and originality that I figured that the Antler airheads, and their rapier wit, must have relocated.

Actually, given how we've owned Colorado through the years, it was ironically a well deserved tribute. If you can't beat 'em, whine! We'll take it!

Laura Hrabak 10 years, 12 months ago

One student even yelled it in the middle of the moment of silence.

Laura Hrabak 10 years, 12 months ago

One student even yelled it in the middle of the moment of silence.

COJHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Classy move by CU to have a moment of silence for TRob and his family. Typical CU student response when a student yelled "F Kansas" right in the middle of it.

justinryman...not the entire reason, but not having a true back-to-the-basket post player doesn't help with that. For as long as I can remember, KU has always had a guy they could throw it down to more than just after swinging the ball or a high-low and sealing defenders on the back side. Scott, Randall, Jamison, Ostertag, LaFrentz, Pollard, Collison, Arthur, Aldrich...even if they weren't super skilled offensive players, they were a true post option. Not sure that's the strength of any of KU's bigs, even if they CAN post up here or there. The guys listed above were always at the line. Thoughts?

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 12 months ago

it's a good win....this win should not be minimized...even without what's going on with Thomas, his family, and our players' feeling about it. CU was 11-0 at home previous...including a win over another top 10 team (Mizzou.)

Burks and Higgins create real matchup problems for folks, but again, they have no presence inside. even Withey got to the rim on a follow dunk. so our 21-2 2nd chance pts. stat...was truly the difference.

and, you know Bill Self talked about this would probably be the last time KU will ever play at CU....do you want to be the team that lost its last game here? same speech he'll give at NU in a couple of weeks....so the extra bounce will be in the step of our guys.

we're still learning how to win...but i believe its truly getting figured out. what has really hurt us so far in the league, is Releford being out. he was really getting in a rhythm, and was a true contributor on both sides of the floor. i really hope he can play this Saturday...because frankly, i think we'll need him.

our true athleticism...which is our greatest strength, cannot be fully shown until he comes back...AND if Selby takes the ball to the basket like he did last night....(as well as Tyshawn.) then, and only then, will we see what this team can actually do. and it could be really special.

tis4tim 10 years, 12 months ago

Nice points.

I would take your Releford argument even one step further. We didn't have Selby for 9 games. We didn't have Little for a handful of games. We're now dealing with Releford's absence and, through cruelness of fate, we may be without Robinson's services for however long he needs to deal with the unbelievable tragedy that has befallen his family and Jayhawk Nation. It's hard to find continuity and rhythm when you are without your full complement of players at any point in the season.

Kye Clark 10 years, 12 months ago

100% agreed. Team chemistry is taking a little longer to gel due to this fact.

REHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

In closing minutes, Burks and Higgins left little doubt that they represent the real deal. No surprise that Colorado has managed to knock off Mizzou and K State. Tad Boyle appears to be doing a super fine job his first year at the helm. Without our terrific offensive rebounding and solid 6 for 6 freethrow shooting at the end, our aunt certainly might have become our uncle. Bill Self has been criticized for recruiting rankings recently, but he definitely has stocked this Jayhawk squad with the chemistry to weather some mighty storms. And in inimitable fashion, most often unearths the right 40 minute touch to survive and conquer.

kcglowboy 10 years, 12 months ago

It's a good thing HCBS didn't play Brady very much last night or we would have lost the game. If Brady hadn't played at all we would have won by 20 !!!!! Because, after all, Brady is the Worst College Player of All Time!!!! (Since the Brady-bashers are mysteriously absent this morning, I felt like someone had to fill the void by posting ignorant, classless, pathetic comments.)

Then I realized, even said in jest, it still comes out as ignorant, classless and pathetic. So instead let's simply say: BRAVO BRADY!

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 12 months ago

Also... "ANYONE could have made those shots and assists! I could put up 14 and 3 IN MY SLEEP!"

And... "Sure he's good against the CUPCAKE TEAMS like Colorado and ... Texas."

And... "We need to play the younger, sexier recruits instead, because old man Brady has reached his CEILING -- he can't play any better than he's playing! (Never mind that we said the same thing last week and his numbers improved since then -- this time he really has reached his ceiling, dammit!)"

Debbie Mangen 10 years, 12 months ago

Can't remember if it was on TV or the radio, but it was said that after the team did their early warmup, Brady, a trainer and a coach stayed on the court and helped him shoot 3's. Then continued when the team came back out to warmup before the game. Just maybe he's finally shot through his shooting slump.

And the comment about CU and David Harrison, I can't seem to enjoy the KU-CU games since that guy moved on. He use to make me laugh out loud with his antics. My favorite game was when he thought he was hurt and his older brother, who use to play for CU but had graduated, came out on the court. The refs almost gave him a T. The cameramen couldn't decide whether to focus on David or his brother bouncing around on the end line. Good times.

Laura Hrabak 10 years, 12 months ago

What a great game the only thing that hurt the atmosphere of that game besides not being in a great place like the fog was the COMPLETELY CLASSLESS ACTS of the CU Student Section. Yelling in the middle of a MOMENT of SILENCE and cursing the entire game as a section pretty poor showing by the buffalos!

Woody Cragg 10 years, 12 months ago

Just found this article on cbssports on NCAA waiver-interesting- http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages.... Also there is a facebook page for TRob as well according to KU radio last night. Have not read all the posts on this page so sorry if this is redundant.

flyingfinn 10 years, 12 months ago

Great TEAM road win under trying circumstances. Defence stll needs to get better, but the players on this team seem to understand their roles and playing time more than the bashers that post in this form. Glad to see Brady get going, it will help us down the stretch and hopefully silence the bashers that don't understnad what he contibutes.

Kyle Cornish 10 years, 12 months ago

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the team is going to have to schedule a practice in D.C. since they are going up today and coming back tomorrow? I mean, between school and stuff it would be hard to practice before leaving today I would think.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Holy cow ladies and gents......I can't believe all the tear jerker stories related to sports in the last week. This is an excellent read about Nate Flemming, one of the kids who died in the Oklahoma State plane crash. Awesome story and great read.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Holy Cow! I just finished reading that article. This whole article is about Kyle Keller who is KU's video coordinator. I didn't make the connection at first. Terrific story. Took me forever to get through, but one of the best stories I've read in a while.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

This story is going to be on tonight at 6 PM est on ESPNU.

Dan Harris 10 years, 12 months ago

Wow! Had no idea, what a gut wrenching read.

actorman 10 years, 12 months ago

"P.S. Somewhere, David Harrison is STILL bitching and moaning about the Jayhawks."

LOL!!!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games as the rest of you. I haven't had any problem with either Clark Kellogg or Reid Gettys. In fact, I really enjoy listening to CK, as I think he's extremely knowledgable and has a great energy to him. I don't remember the particular comment about how Tyrel should have had a foul called on him, but can anyone give other examples of how CK is biased against KU?

And does anyone have specifics re Reid Gettys? I thought he had a lot of good things to say about KU, including praising Brady's defense (maybe a little too much) and talking about Brady's 6-1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Specifics, anyone?

What a great win under very tough circumstances. And how great is the Big XII this year? When you look at how good even formerly downtrodden teams like NU and CU are, I think it may be the best the Big XII/Big 8 has ever been. And it certainly has to be right up there with the Big East as the best in the country this year.

actorman 10 years, 12 months ago

Good question, weaglehawk. After all, we want to be in prime form to give the purple pu**ies their regularly scheduled pounding.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

I like TRob's sister's name: Jayla-hawk Robinson!

Maybe she can become the Littlest Jayhawk with her own Jayhawk costume.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 12 months ago

hawk_of_ages/kcglowboy: And all this time I thought points and actual productive offensive play didn't matter? It is interesting how the Brady-lover crowd now thinks scoring is actually important. It didn't matter in the two game, 47 minutes stretch of 0 points.

What is absolutely humorous is that when Brady does nothing .. zippo .. the Brady-lovers resort to the "glue" comments (as if that means anything other than "role player"), the " crisp passing" comments (as if he is the only one that actual passes the ball crisply), and the "great defense" comments (even though that is an absolute myth). And points scored magically mean nothing. Now they vindicate him with the points he scores. Even the most ardent Brady lover has to see the humor in that.

Just accept the guy .. everyone .. for what he is. A serviceable role player that will have a stellar game every so often; that will have poor games every so often; that when he has an average game, most will want more; that is not a star; that makes the coach comfortable; that can help make other players better; that will hold the team back offensively most of the time; that if he's hitting 3s at 40% becomes a much different player in most everyone's eyes; that plays good defense, not great; that is Jayhawk through and through; that is not perfect; that will get a tech here and there; that might do something stupid; that does not automatically have a basketball IQ any better than others on the team simply due the fact that he isn't a star; that will be replaced the minute more talented players become reliable is Self's eyes (which may be never); and lastly, he is a guy that we all hope plays well.

That is reality. He played a great game last night. I'll take 70% of that each night without a complaint. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but won't bet on it.

Hank Cross 10 years, 12 months ago

Absolutely correct. He had a great game and if he had been contributing 70% of that all season, there wouldn't be much of debate. Even when he threw up that clunker 3, that was ok as he was scoring and looking to make an impact on the game.

Will he blossom into a genuine impact player in the last 20-odd games of his career? I hope so. But, a couple of games does not mean that the criticism was unjustified any more than a couple of bad games meant Selby was a flop.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 12 months ago

Yes, "glue guy" is indeed another term for "role player." What's your point? A great team needs role players.

I don't recall anyone making the argument that "points don't matter." The point is, again, shooting is not the only stat that determines a player's worth. Brady was helping the team even during his shooting slump. Ball movement and defense are not "zippo." This is just Basketball 101. He was not "holding the team back offensively" just because he wasn't making shots -- as evidenced by the fact that we've had the best offense in the country for most of this season, with Brady getting big minutes.

dynamitehawk 10 years, 12 months ago

We're call each other cousins... but we're really brothers.... Did I just wake up in the twilight zone on the other side of the mirror??? KU......UK

:^)