Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Colorado: Threes, offensive boards key for KU basketball in win

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed breaks through a trap by Colorado defenders Marcus Relphorde (5) and Alec Burks (10) late in the second half Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 at the Coors Events Center in Boulder.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-78 victory over Colorado on Jan. 25, 2011.

Download podcast

— The Colorado students were a bit more frenzied than usual during the Buffs’ 82-78 basketball loss to Kansas University on Tuesday night.

“They always want Kansas, but especially right now that we’re leaving (for the Pac-12), it’s one of the last times we’re going to get them at home,” CU senior guard Marcus Relphorde said. “We all really wanted this one.”

Just 10 days after chanting, “We want Kansas!” in the closing seconds of a victory over Oklahoma State, the CU fans experienced familiar heartbreak Tuesday.

Following the loss, the Buffs fell to 1-14 against the Jayhawks in Boulder during Big 12 play.

“We lost to a helluva team,” CU coach Tad Boyle said.

The Buffs lamented two statistics: KU’s three-point shooting and offensive rebounds.

The Jayhawks made 10 of 24 three-pointers (41.7 percent), which was their best long-range shooting effort in conference play.

“We weren’t expecting them to come out hot like that,” CU senior guard Cory Higgins said. “We don’t feel like they really have a consistent, knockdown shooter outside of (Tyrel) Reed, but everybody was hitting shots.”

Boyle said allowing the Jayhawks open three-pointers was the result of Colorado’s trying to limit Marcus and Markieff Morris inside.

“We don’t have one guy on our team that can guard those guys one-on-one,” Boyle said, “so we talked about having a team defensive effort, and I thought our guys did a great job of that. But what you give up sometimes is a three.”

Though the Morris twins combined for just 12 field-goal attempts, KU’s outside shooters were able to take advantage of the extra space.

That included Brady Morningstar, who was 4-for-7 from three after making just one of his previous 15 three-pointers.

“Our rotations were a little late sometimes,” Boyle said, “but again, I thought for the most part we guarded them pretty well. They executed awfully well.”

Asked for the biggest difference in the game, Boyle didn’t hesitate.

“Second-chance points, 21 to two,” Boyle said. “End of story.”

The Jayhawks outrebounded the Buffs, 37-23, but more importantly, KU grabbed 12 offensive boards to CU’s four.

KU also held CU without an offensive rebound in the first half.

“If we rebound the ball today, I think we win that game,” Higgins said.

Comments

Woody Cragg 8 years, 11 months ago

A win is a win but with all the slashers they do not shoot enough free throws. Unfortunately jump shooting teams usually don't go very far. Great final win at AFHW & glad no longer flying to Boulder in the winter (or anytime).

RockCaCO3 8 years, 11 months ago

“If we rebound the ball today, I think we win that game,”

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

RCJHGKU!

reunionhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

that has always struck me funny, too...I don't know why they don't just say, 'if we had scored more points than they did, we would have won!'

RockCaCO3 8 years, 11 months ago

Had to Google that song, thats funny. If that's Kensucky's state song (I agree it must be), I'd hate to think what their state flag has on it!

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 11 months ago

Love it! My all time favorite rebuttal to a "shoulda, woulda, coulda comment". Good stuff

KU79 8 years, 11 months ago

So, how does this work . . . do we still own Coors now that the buffs are running off to the Pac10? ;-)

Ed Brown 8 years, 11 months ago

With all that is going on and the ever present altitude issues we usually face in Boulder this was a great team tonight. Watching Marcus "Here's to you Mrs. Robinson..." tap before the free throws was priceless. Brady showing a little senior leadership and picking up the slack was awesome too. I would prefer a 50 point blowout for a sendoff but Colorado is looking much better than I remember for quite a while. I can't remember the exact year or player but I recall seeing the Colorado player on the ground during the Big 8 tourney and hearing his leg snap as he landed. It was a gruesome sight.

Bye-bye AFHW. Maybe they will just change the name since we own the place!

RCJH

jayhawkdude46542 8 years, 11 months ago

I believe the CU player was Donnie Boyce, and even watching it on TV, it was gruesome. I was glad that, as a senior, his career was going to end, but I wouldn't wish that kind of injury on anybody.

waywardJay 8 years, 11 months ago

That player was Donnie Boyce, and he was in my eyes every bit as good as chuancey Pre-horrific injury.

Donnie was an Awesome player.

I did some research when a couple friends of mine and I got on the topic of Former players for other schools ( Adjusting nerd glasses again ).... Donnie actually has had a pretty successful career. He was into coaching after the fact, If memory serves he played for the Globetrotters for a year or two before oging into coaching.

His knee injury was horrific but the lasting image was BOTH teams gathered around him in Kemper, no soun dbut his screaming. Tragic,. he was a great player.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

Marcus went to the line w/confidence and nailed the free throws that put the game away... Hope to see more of that.

JHWK 8 years, 11 months ago

True that! I admit I was nervous for him, but he was CLUTCH!! And TT had himself some composure at the line. Rock Chalk!

bdk980 8 years, 11 months ago

Rapid reactions... Were those PAC-10 refs last night b/c the officiating was....HORRIBLE. You have got to be kidding me with some of those calls/no-calls. In all fairness, KU had some plays that didn't get called, but the amount of blown calls for KU did not even compare to CU. so, WOW... happy to walk away with a W last night. It was good experience to play in a pressure situation where the game was close and we traded buckets w/ our opponent for the last 90 seconds, but all things considered, the game should not have been that close.

I heard someone on the radio say that the Morris's are kings of the junk ball. I never really paid attention to it until last night. Last night, it seemed like the majority of the time they got the ball around the rim and scored, I would wonder how it was possible that the ball found its way in. The angles were either horrible, there was a man in the face,they were incredibly off balanced, or a combination of all three ... but man, they just kept going in. When I say junk-ball I don't mean it to have a negative connotation. ON the contrary, there can be nothing more demoralizing to an opponent than to constantly see shot after shot like that go in, especially when the play results in a trip to the foul line.

Although I love having the Morris's on the team, I feel like they need to clean up the small stuff. It would seem to be getting picky, but my biggest example of this is when, either 'Cus or 'Kief set two/three moving/illegal screens w/in seconds of each other. The announcers called him out for it but the officials didn't. I know it small stuff, but i think its those kind of small things that get that freshman Sullinger some much recognition.

Enjoyed watching Morningstar gain some confidence, glad (even if it was for a half) seeing Selby play well. Was particularly happy with Withey. I know he can't seem to get position on offense, but on defense, that three second rule is his best friend. I've said this before, I'm happy to play 4.5 guys on offense in order to have Withey (5.5 guys) play defense. He pulls down boards on D that no one but him has an oppurtunity to come down with. I'm not saying he needs to be playing 15-20 min a game, but I think he can change the flow of the game for a solid 8-12 while our other big men take a breather.

Other than that, just glad to come out w/ a W. That officiating, particularly at the end, was atrocious. Bring on the Cats...RCJH!

ParisHawk 8 years, 11 months ago

On the Twins "cleaning up the small stuff": after a made basket, if you touch the ball you're supposed to give it to the opposing player or at least the ref. The Twins pass it "back" to where you have to go get it. Some day they could get a delay of game call at a bad time.

Travis Osier 8 years, 11 months ago

I just have to mention that I was at the game last night and I was really pissed that the CU students paid such little respect to t-rob. What I mean by that is before the game the announcer asked for a moment of silence and while it was quiet, some jacka$$ decided to shout "f%"k you kansas"..total lack of respect!.....great W guys, now, lets get back on track at home! Rock chalk!

fenix_hawk 8 years, 11 months ago

I am not a person who complains too awful much about officiating, but last night was rediculous! There were several situation with guys from Colorado flying in that could have potentially injured some of our players that were no calls! I understand that our guys are a much more physical team but Tad Boyle's way of defending that was to have his players flop around like they are Cristiano Ronaldo. It was rediculous and the refs fell for it everytime. On the same topic has it seemed like the officiating in the Big 12 has been inconsistent? If you look at th Big East those kids know that every night is going to be physical, and our guys have to come out every night and hope they guess right on if it is a finesse game or a physical game. I apologize for murdering the grammar in this post. My wife (english teacher) would be embarassed.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

Per a previous post of mine of things to worry about:

The Hawks overcame the sadness, the psyched crowd, the refs, the altitude, the odds, the letdown, the absence of TRob, the absence of Travis [which is getting more and more disturbing,] the Colorado star players, the Colorado coach who has a clue, did I mention the refs?

It won't show up on the season totals but one of the great character wins in recent Jayhawk history. Thanks guys and let's go Spade the Kitties!!!!

SaulGood 8 years, 11 months ago

Agreed re: Releford's absence. It's killing me too. That kid's got a lot that we need on the court right now.

waywardJay 8 years, 11 months ago

Oakville,

As per the abense of travis....

If it means playing him on one leg... i would rathe rhim not play again this season.

Until he is 100 %, I'm willing to take the losses as they come. that kid is IMPORTANT the later this season gets.

Athletic, Muscular, and Determined.

HE will become crucial when we play against he Michigan State of the world. If it takes him until mid- March to get back to 100, so be it.... As long as he is ready, when we call for him.

SaulGood 8 years, 11 months ago

Definitely good to get out of West with a final win. I'm chalking the close score up to altitude and a really rough week. @bdk980 - definitely scary seeing the twins getting a little lazy with moving picks, and completely agree with you there. My guess is getting out of town for the funeral and getting some closure on the situation will help all move forward. Hopefully HCBS comes back with some conditioning and reminds the kids that our opponents aren't going to give us any breaks for tragedy, though tragedy it most certainly is. No one brings their "B-game" for Kansas, especially not the Purple Kittens.

I will say it until I'm blue in the face - we need Releford back. He may not be the most impactful player, but he fills some crucial gaps. His time on the court this season gave every other player a boost and made their jobs easier on both ends. He's quick, long in the arm, has a beautiful shooting touch, and can help guard bigs. Don't get me wrong, I want Releford at 100% before he hits the floor: Rather he sit now than lose him to a worse injury later.

Nice to see Withey make some contributions. I wonder if he gained some confidence, even with the blown oop, and can start providing that physical presence. Also nice to see Brady chip in and get some confidence as well.

I really do hope the Twins have made the most of the lowered expectations on them in this terrible time, and I certainly don't mean to make light of the Robinsons' immense tragedy. The reality of this situation is simple, though: there won't be any slack given by our opponents from here on out for any KU baller, much less the most lauded identicals in the NCAA.

doctorWho 8 years, 11 months ago

I realize there has been a flurry of KU basketball news lately, but it would be nice to get an injury update on Releford.

SaulGood 8 years, 11 months ago

It's good to see him actually suited up for games. So far it has made sense to be tentative with the choice to play him or not, but that won't be the case this weekend with the talented guards and forwards KSU has. We need Releford's defensive presence if it's safely available to us.

fenix_hawk 8 years, 11 months ago

It was nice to see Brady going straight up with his shot last night! I was just confused on why he had started this jump 5 feet forward on his shot. He reverted back to it a couple times but he is a smart kid and about 87 times the ball player I am! (and I dominate my rec league) The confidence and the fire was there last night for he and Josh both! I am ready for all the pieces of this team to be back together.

Is it me or did Ohio State seem eerily familiar to the UNC team we dominated in '08 last night?

Funhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Fate is strange. Tad Boyle and Mark Turgeon, two former KU players, are ending up as two of our bigger competitors this year. They are both doing a great job with their teams. Colorado is fun to watch.

mdwyerjhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Dear Pac 10/12-

It is with deep regret that I must inform you that you won the Colorado Lottery. No, unfortunately you don’t get any money, instead you are stuck with CU (Classless University). I know you are probably excited to have the Big 12’s whipping boy (KU has now beat them 44 out of the last 45 basketball games), but with that you also get some very negative side effects. Most notably:

• A student section that thinks it is a good idea to chant “F**K You, Kansas” on multiple occasions during a televised basketball game and the only sellout of the year.

• An athletic Dept that thinks it is a good idea to allow the chant to continue multiple times during the game with out getting on the PA and reminding the students to not act like complete Donkeys!

• A cheerleading and pom squad that claps along with the cheer

• A mostly uneducated fan base that thinks the chant is a good idea even though their new Head Basketball Coach – Tad Boyle is a KU Graduate and huge fan of the University (You think he may bail on the Buffs at this first available moment?)

Pac 10/12, I don’t want this to seem all negative, there are some real positives to your lottery winnings:

• On the rare occasion that the Buffs win a football game, you are guaranteed to see them on Sports Center storming the field. It happens all 4-5 times they win each year.

• You can add “Pac 10/12, Home to 7 Nasa Astronauts” to your conference promotional advertisements

• The rest of the Pac 10/12 Universities Fans and Alumns can come out to Boulder, easily get tickets to CU events, turn Folsom and Coors Events Center into another Home Game, and enjoy a few days of great Colorado Skiing.

Again, sorry for your Gain!

Mark D “Colorado Jayhawk” and the rest of THE BIG 11.5

PS. CU, we will miss you and the automatic V’s! Stay Classy!!!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

When it comes to basketball, you can ditto this memo to the Big Ten regarding Nebraska as well!!

PS Minus the part about actually enjoying your visit to Lincoln!!

Debbie Mangen 8 years, 11 months ago

Don't know if anyone has posted this site: The challenge has been made. K-State had 8100 people in the stands for Game Day. Come on Hawks - 16,300? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/gameday#/video=6053410/

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

Just tell everyone that if they bring a can of food, they'll get to throw it at Digger Phelps!!

KU officials will have to empty and refill Allen several times!!!!!!!! :):):)

brooksmd 8 years, 11 months ago

Found the following posting at buffzone.com:

"It was great to see a true home home game against KU. In years past it has looked as a game in Manhattan instead of Boulder. If Boyle continues with his early success and improves, we have seen that the fans will attend the games and cheer for their team. BTW, the students were excellent !"

Did KU and KSU swap locations? Lol

Helen Gross 8 years, 11 months ago

Are these the same students that were yelling f**k Kansas during a moment of silence for T Robs Mom?

Jack Wilson 8 years, 11 months ago

Some thoughts after the game: 1. I can see how Colorado beat MU. And thus I can see how MU could beat us. But they will have to be on, and we'll have to be off. MU has more skilled players than Colorado, but clearly less disciplined. MU seems to take more poor shots, ill-advised shots. I was impressed with Boyle's command of his team. 2. The fast paced style of Colorado masked our guard difficulties that show in the slower games with more half-court sets. A more open game helps. When we slow down, our offensive limitations at the 1-3 spots stick out like a sore thumb. When shots are falling, of course, we look great .. everyone does (see 1st half vs. Texas). When shots aren't falling, we don't have other options to create points (see 2nd half vs. Texas).
3. Oxcal pointed out on another thread that if Brady could do 80% of what he did last night, each game, there would be no discussion. Completely agree. How about 70%. I'm fine with that. But let's see if it happens. It is one game. Hopefully this is the turn upward. 4. On Brady, it is amazing how his shooting improves as he stops leaning into the shot. Going straight up to the release point is a magical thing. 5. TT - I am perplexed as to how he could come out of a game like that with 4 assists, on the ball, for 31 minutes. I get the pace of the game, but I have really never seen anything like it. And it wasn't like guys blew shots on possible assists. 6. That brings me to Selby. Was/Is it not obvious that Selby would a better point guard candidate? As a greater offensive threat, he would have more opportunities to create for his teammates. The second half of the Texas game cinched it for me. He is already a better passer. I am convinced that Selby, on the ball, would help this team increase its level of play by creating more opportunities in games we're not shooting the ball particularly well. Selby on the ball would move TT off the ball, which I think would give us no real offensive threat at the 2. One move creates other issues -- what would TT's role and effectiveness be? His defense will keep hiim in the lineup regardless. But man, this seems obvious now. Think about how some Gerry McNamara-like threes from the top might open things up? How we could flatten out in a 1 - 4 offensive set from time to time. How we could isolate in a two man game every so often with Selby and Marcus. How a zone could sag, opening up the high/low. A point guard that has real skills changes your offense. The dude can handle it.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 11 months ago

(cont) 7. Withey is not ChenoWithey. Don't expect him to be agile, mobile, hostile .. that's not his game. What he can provide us from time to time is a guy that can change shots and take up a little space. Some accidental points. He needs another summer of work, but can help out. Good emergency guy. 8. Curious as to why when we play against a 1 - 3 - 1, we don't attack it with two guards out top? I know that's not our normal set, but it permits a 1 - 3 - 1 to be attacked more effectively because you need to draw two defenders to the ball to open up the passing lane. The 1 - 3 - 1 is a killer defense at youth levels, but as skip passing becomes more reliable, it is an easier zone to attack. Just curious as to the theory. Self probably has a great reason that I'm too stupid to comprehend. 9. Marcus had a real quiet 15. POY candidate. He'll blow for 30 plus a few more times. 10. I can live with 77% from the line. This team will win a lot of games doing that.

jaybate 8 years, 11 months ago

"Some Ways You Know KSU Is The Next Game AFH:"

~KSU fans in Manhattan trying to learn to read GPS maps to come and stand outside AFH without getting in.

~Frank Martin just ordered a hit by The Corporation on the Phog Allen statue.

~KU campus police are spraying teflon on all the statues and fountains on campus to keep the purple graffiti from sticking.

~KSU players are being fitted with white brass knuckles that will stand out less against the KU home uniforms.

~Bechard, Keller and Hinson all seen in dungarees and gas masks at a body shop in Desoto spray painting KU brass knuckles purple.

~Scott Pollard just successfully bid on bandwidth that enables him to broadcast the KSU-KU game from Uranus.

~Roy Williams wakes up in his Carolina blue pajamas in Chapel Hole and screams, "Nick, secondary break, run those Purple Pussies all the way back to their experimental barns!!"; then he turns to the picture of Dean he keeps on his night stand and says, "Forgive me father for I have sinned."

~Purple Cool Aid laced with clinical strength laxative, and marked "Free to All KSU Fans," is found in an unmarked dispenser outside Allen Field House by campus police...and left there.

~Planned Parenthood sets up booth outside The Wheel to counsel against interbreeding of Jayhawks and Wildcats.

~Michael Beasely shows up at Allen Field House to watch his old team play a big game and is arrested by KU campus cops on a first ever charge of narco-air pollution. KU law students tell Lawrence DA that there is a precedent in an old Cheech and Chong movie but that no one who saw it can remember it!

~Tex Winter, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Lon Kruger, and Dana Altman all show up and announce they will be cheering for KU, because, "Well, c'mon, we all wanted out of that hole as soon as we could!!!!!"

~KSU cheerleaders show up at Allen Field House looking for guidance from KU cheerleaders in how to wear make up and read.

~The President of KSU shows up at Strong Hall in a purple track uniform and shoes and challenges Chancellor Bernie to a 50 yard dash, which Chancellor Bernie wins even in her high heels; then makes him take ten on the back side until he cries Rock Chalk, Mistress Bernie! Go KU!

~The KU Student Association for Curtain Beards announces they are disbanding, shaving off their curtain beards and burning them in a pyre outside the KSU locker room window during half time in protest of Jacob Pullen's tarnishing of the organization's image.

(All fiction. No malice. Stomp the Pussies!)

waywardJay 8 years, 11 months ago

Deeeeeessss..... eeeeeeeeessss..... myyyyyyyyyy..... house !

-Brady Morningstar shaves his elbows to pickaxe nubs.

• Temporary statue erected on AFH lawn of Pervis Pasco.

"Only you can prevent post-season tourney victorys" engraved.

• Central Intelligence agency questions the whereabouts of Frank Martin, and why he's seen in thes pictures hanging out with Osama Bin Laden.

• Curtis Kelley encouraged to spend his Nba Salary on Mass St.

• Shane Southwell reacts like a cat looking into a mirror when guarded by Brady Morningstar.

• Wally Judge decides to show up and you know, play basketball, because he's like talented and stuff.

• Not even Steve Henson has the courage to be seen in purple.

• Freddy Asprilla quits the team again... OH Wait.....

• After the game and sensing the impending trip to the NIT, Pullen rips off Said Mutton chops and hands them to Selby saying... they'll look much better on you,kid.

• After two techinicals in a span of 4 minutes, Frank Martin finally loses it and goes Theoren Fleury on Baby Jay.

• Bill and Frank Meet after the game and discuss terms of Unconditional surrender to be laid down in tHe Octagon of Doom. Selff offers Frank martin a job in the Kansas Athletic department, and Frank Martin just walks away in tears.

• Student section signs...

When Bob Huggins is the Good Cop..... 2010- Elite Eight, 2011-Delete Slate. Maybe you should go back to Lavender and White ? Curtis Kelley = Jaron Rush as a 4th year Senior. Whatever happened to Bill Walker ? Asprilla went to Rehab. and Franky said No no no. ( Close up of martin's face..... ) Relax, Don't do it.

jaybate 8 years, 11 months ago

Good stuff. Humor becomes you.

Rock Chalk!

CasperCorps 8 years, 11 months ago

Jailbate you love it when we play cat teams!! Its like cussing in front of your dad for the first time and not getting spanked for it, so you keep saying it.'<)... We went to boulder without TRob and Releford and still won, We have the deepest bench in the country hands down.. Can't stand Pullen after that loss to KState that one year a long long time ago.. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about misery jaybate